• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 8, 2020

    Legal Advice - My Dog bit a kid who wouldn't leave him alone. They want him to be put down.

    Legal Advice - My Dog bit a kid who wouldn't leave him alone. They want him to be put down.


    My Dog bit a kid who wouldn't leave him alone. They want him to be put down.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 05:48 AM PST

    My Dog is a German Shepard has never bit anyone. He isn't stupid or aggressive but, he doesn't like being pet on by random strangers unless I've given consent. He wont bite but, he will shy away but, if you kept on trying to pet him he would likely bite. I mean would you like to have strangers come up and start touching you? No way.

    I was at the park and this group of kids kept coming over and trying to pet him. I told them no twice. My dog was already uncomfortable and clearly did not like it. We finally pulled away. I had to pee so I tied him up to the post near the door. He's a good boy so I know he wouldn't bark or run off. Next thing I know I hear a scream.

    The kid got bit. After I told him 3x do not touch my dog he goes and tries to pet him. The kid isnt bleeding much just a small nip. My dog is freaked out and cowering. An adult comes by and calls animal control citing "The dog is aggressive and dangerous and viciously attacked a child".

    AC come by and so do the Parents. AC take my dog away for testing for rabies; and the Mom is angry. The kid says he went to pet my dog and the dog lunged at him and tried taking his hand off. I know that's a lie because, my dog is well trained and has never bit anyone or shown signs of aggression. Dogs dont just randomly go crazy. He does like being pet and I told that kid he doesn't so dont pet him. The Mom is sobbing and saying she wants my "vicious" dog put to sleep because, he's a danger to everyone around him. She ignored everything I said regarding me warning the kid not too pet him.

    I'm just frazzled right now. My dog is currently being detained and I dont know if he'll be coming back. All he did was nip a kid who wouldnt take no for an answer. What is my next step? I want to act fast before she takes legal action and to protect my dog.

    submitted by /u/MrvinManrow
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor’s pit bull broke through my fence and killed my 9 month old puppy this morning

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 06:18 PM PST

    I bought this home in June of this year, and have been dealing with my neighbors two pit bulls ever since. At first, there were gaps in the fence that they would openly come and go through, and I would have to chase them out of the yard. I tried a few different solutions of boarding up the fence, all of which eventually failed and the dogs would squeeze through. The neighbors were aware the dogs were getting out and told me they would fix their side of the fence too, but never did.

    During this time, I was very careful with my French Bulldog, always supervising him in the backyard to make sure he was safe. This was beyond annoying since I literally bought the house so he could have a yard to play in. Finally, I found a secure solution to keep them from coming through, and we were safe for a couple months. My dog enjoyed a few months of stress free play in our backyard, and things were secure.

    I didn't report the dogs to animal control with each breach because, as a dog owner, I would want them to contact me if my dog got out instead of sending him to the pound or hitting me with a fine if he got out on accident. I deeply regret this and feel so guilty because there were enough incidents to have these dogs removed from my neighbors had I just reported them. My dog would still be alive today.

    After a few months of peace, the dogs broke down one of the slats in my fence and killed my best friend. I won't get into my emotions here because I have a specific question, but just know that it's been the most heartbreaking and traumatic day for me. I found my dog bleeding in my yard next to the broken fence, and he passed away shortly after we got to the hospital.

    Here's my legal question: animal control made it clear to me and the neighbors that they were responsible financially for both the cost of my dog ($3,000) and his medical care ($650), and that I should work it out with them but could take it to civil court if there were any issues. After some grieving this morning, I built up the motivation to go talk finances with the neighbors to get it over with. I wasn't sure what to expect because their house and yard are a complete mess and just screams "broke." But they told me they could each pay me $100 each paycheck, so $400 a month. At that rate it will take about 9 months for them to clear this up, but I accepted because I don't think they could afford to do anymore.

    So my legal question: my friend was telling my I might be able to make a claim with their homeowners insurance. Is that possible? I would much rather take a single payment from a professional insurance company that chip this out with my trashy neighbors for the next 9 months.

    Additionally, is there anything a lawyer could do for me? I know pet loss isn't taken very seriously for damages in court, and I'd probably net less to pay the lawyer, but I lost a family member today. He was the absolute joy of my life and my girlfriend and I are broken. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I need to be doing. Thanks for the advice.

    Edit - additional details:

    I live in South Ogden, Utah.

    Animal control issued a few citations to the neighbors including animal at large and death of an animal. At this point the dogs are on a 10 day quarantine, not allowed outside of the house except to use the bathroom and must be on a leash with the owner when they do so. Animal control told me it would take two more incidents with the dogs before they would be removed from the neighbors home. I think I heard right (it was a lot to take in) that the neighbors will have a court summons too and might be ordered to put the dog down if the judge finds it appropriate, but I'm mostly concerned about the financial aspect of this.

    submitted by /u/therealjoesmith
    [link] [comments]

    A man is threatening to sue me unless i pay him back for a meal, because the meal didn't result in sex. Is this legal? Florida usa.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 09:34 AM PST

    A neighbor asked if i wanted to join him for a lunch. I joined him with the understanding we were going as friends and were covering our own bills. I asked for my check and he already took care of it when i was in the bathroom earlier. I thanked him and went home.

    He started getting very needy, desperate and clingy so i politely said i wasn't able to provide him with the friendship he was demanding from me and distanced myself.

    I had to block numerous numbers on phone, whatsapp, messenger, social media etc due to his relentless calls/ messages. They'd range from begging me to give him a chance, to offering very inappropriate/expensive gifts, to calling me names. Hundreds of messages a day.

    Yesterday he sent me a message saying that he will sue me and report me to the police for theft if i don't pay him 106 dollars for the meal since it didn't result in sex. Or i can unblock him and be his friend with benefits and i don't have to pay him unless i end the friendship/stop having sex.

    He contacted my employer and my landlord saying that i stole money from him and begged them to relay messages

    Can he actually sue and be successful? I don't mind paying since i was planning on paying for it anyways. But would this actually hold up in court? I didn't know he paid the bill to have sex, it wasn't an option presented to me. I would have refused to accept if that was the case. If i pay him what's stopping him from saying i owe him for something else? Should i wait until i get a letter from a lawyer?

    I contacted police about the harassment and they won't do anything since asking for money isn't illegal. They said to ignore him completely and only communicate via lawyer. If he shows up at my door and won't leave again they can arrest him. do i really need a lawyer for this?

    ***EDIT

    he's sent another email and changed his story to "you said you'd grab the next lunch and didn't go to lunch with me again, so you owe me for the lunch unless you unblock me and be my friend. It was a verbal contract" yes, i did say id grab the next one. But his behavior was becoming stalkery and concerning and i decided for safety reasons to end the friendship. I think he realized that sending me a message demanding sex probably wasn't very intelligent. Im not responding to any messages.

    submitted by /u/doeverythingfortrout
    [link] [comments]

    Wife has asked me to leave. We have 4 children. How do I protect myself legally?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 06:57 AM PST

    (Massachusetts, USA)

    Married 17 years, 4 kids.

    Wife "isn't in love with me anymore." Has been asking me to leave since August. We did some couples counseling. She still has not changed her mind. She wants me out for Jan 1. We have 4 kids, ages 2, 12, 14, and 16. We own a house together which is solely in my name. Just $95k left on the mortgage.

    She has not worked since 2005. I paid off her student loans, and have supported her and the kids myself since '05.

    It appears the marriage is over and there is no way to reconcile. I don't want to leave, but she is not wavering—she wants me out.

    How do I protect myself legally? Can I be accused of "abandonment" if I leave as asked? Thanks.

    I will be consulting a lawyer, but posting here first to get the gist of thos sort of thing, as I have absolutely no experience at all with what's happening to me.

    submitted by /u/mackarillo
    [link] [comments]

    My doctor told my parents that I am being tested for STIs.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 12:32 PM PST

    A little bit of context, I (M17) went to the ER a couple of days ago, and the doctor asked me if I had sex in private. He said they were to keep that confidential, so I didn't have to worry. The doctor was very nice and understanding, so I told him and he told me that I may or may not be suffering from an STI. He ran tests that again, were confidential, and I am still waiting on the results.

    He told me I needed to make a doctor's appointment because my insurance required it, and today that I came for my appointment, the doctor here was very rude but I didn't mind, I just wanted to get it over with. As I was leaving though, she openly told my parents that I was being tested for STIs. Is this allowed? I am really stressed from the news that I may be diagnosed positive and now this, I have no idea what to do. Sorry if this is nothing illegal, I'm just wondering.

    (I am in LA, California)

    submitted by /u/ImVeryShyIRL
    [link] [comments]

    Moving company gave bad initial estimate. Estimate of $3,400 became nearly $12,000

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 04:38 PM PST

    I recently hired a moving company to move from California to Washington.

    Moving is hard enough as it is. An initial estimate was performed via email, and this is my first time doing something like this. The person who performed the estimate did not perform the due diligence to make sure that he had an accurate estimate.

    He didn't ask the right questions to understand the full scope of our apartment.

    On moving day, the supervisor arrived at our location, he was surprised by the originally documented estimate and what we actually had. He said that what was originally filed was clearly an underestimate. As it didn't even list a TV.

    We requested a new estimate prior to the packing, however the supervisor stated that this could not be done until they've packed and moved most of the items into the truck so that he could see how much space we would take up, as we were to pay based on cubic footage.

    The gross underestimate resulted in over 3 times the cost. $12k is no small amount of money. This will impact my family significantly.

    Had I been provided an accurate estimate or even the option to have a video consultation I would have been better prepared to make this decision to move interstate.

    I would like to know what legal recourse there may be as I felt that this practice was very predatory. I've tried to reach out to the company and have poor luck.

    Still waiting on the final delivery for this weekend. Any guidance is welcome.

    submitted by /u/orange_king108
    [link] [comments]

    I'm being blackmailed for sex. Please help

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 07:11 PM PST

    My ex landlord downloaded all my files from my iPhone onto his laptop without me knowing. He also recorded me having sex without my knowledge (I rented his room and he had a camera in there I didn't know about).

    Now he's threatening to send all the videos, photos and messages I had stored, to my family. He said if I want to stop this from happening, I can either pay him £1000, or live with him again and have sex with him for a month. I have 37p in my bank account and I'm petrified of what he'll do if I don't have sex with him.

    Please help, I'm desperate.

    Edit: I'm in England

    submitted by /u/Throwawayaccnt4665
    [link] [comments]

    My mom used my FSA card without my permission. Is that considered fraud?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 06:19 PM PST

    Im in NC. This year I got my own insurance policy through my job. Its my first time on my own plan and I'll be honest I don't exactly know how everything works. I have an FSA. I gave my extra card to my mom in case I ever needed her to pick up a prescription for me or something. She had 2 teeth pulled yesterday and needed to go pick up her antibiotics. She started asking me about my FSA and said that I needed to use it before the year was up because they don't rollover. Then she asked if she could use it for her medicine. I told her I didn't think that was allowed because she isn't on my insurance and Im pretty sure that card is supposed to be used for only me. Well I just logged into my account and saw that there was a charge to it, so she used it anyways. Im planning to call the company in the morning. I was told that this would be considered insurance fraud, but wanted other opinions. What is likely to happen next?

    submitted by /u/Comale0126
    [link] [comments]

    MA Landlord too cheap to have human blood and feces cleaned from common areas

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 05:12 PM PST

    I live in a single family home in MA where four separate tenants lease each bedroom on an individual basis. Since we are only renting our own bedrooms, the landlord is responsible for the rest of the house, including utilities etc and of course making sure common areas are up to sanitary code.

    One of the housemates had some kind of medical emergency and is currently in critical condition at the ICU. The incident had left the upstairs bathroom, stairs, hallways and front walk covered in human blood and fecal matter.

    We cleaned it decently, but have asked the landlord to have it property cleaned. The landlord said it was not his responsibility until we pointed out sanitary code and that common areas are his responsibility. He agreed, but when the cleaner came the landlord refused to pay him, saying $200 was too much.

    After two more days of following up, the landlord told us he will come by this weekend and clean it himself. We asked him to come sooner, but he says "this does not warrant an emergency reaction from me". It will already have been a week of stepping over blood and feces at that point. Is there anything we can do?

    Separate note: he's a complete slumlord and after two years we still don't have fire alarms in our rooms, despite countless requests for them.

    Edit:

    This is the landlord's full response when asked to clean sooner than next weekend: "If it's so critical and life threatening, you have the option to clean it yourself immediately. Or contact town's health department and see if they consider something of this scale a violation of the sanitation code. This does not warrant an emergency reaction from me."

    submitted by /u/Prison_Mikey
    [link] [comments]

    Parking garage (that I pay monthly) switched ownership and towed my car without my knowledge. The towing company sold my car. Nobody contacted me at any point.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 08:12 PM PST

    I left the city because of the pandemic. I kept my car in the space that I pay for monthly because I was planning on coming back when things calmed down and I could get work again. In June, I stored some precious belongings in the back of my car and left. I just called to check in on it, only to hear that they switched ownership, and the new owners towed my car. I called the towing company and after having it for less than a month, they sold it. With my most sentimental items and some important legal documents inside. I've been a member of this parking garage for 5+ years, the car that was registered on the membership is the one that was towed. I have the billing set to autopay, and while I still get invoices from them, I don't check my bank account and I didn't notice that they hadn't charged me anything for the past 3 months. At no point was I contacted by any of the 3 companies.

    How can they sell it without the title? How can they sell it without even contacting me? How could the first parking company that I have a membership with not contact me to tell me they're selling the company? How could the new company not contact me to tell me I need to pay them or I'd be towed? How could the tow company not contact me to tell me that I've been towed?

    Don't read the next paragraph its just me ranting because I just found out and have to put this somewhere but wow. I am heartbroken. This was my first adult purchase. I paid for it on my own and was so proud. I couldn't even sell this car when I needed the money because it was so sentimental to me. This is the car I first went camping with my puppy who is now very old. This is the car I fell in love in, the car that I drove across the country in. This was my fucking car, man.

    OK enough, sorry. How do I move forward? Can I do anything legally?

    submitted by /u/beverbutts
    [link] [comments]

    Legal Advice for potentially unsafe household for transgender teen ? [PA]

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 06:02 PM PST

    hi! little bit of a weird situation but hear me out. my 17 year old friend may have been outed as transgender and/or bisexual to his very unsupportive parents. this happened last wednesday night and since then we (friends, teachers, etc.) haven't heard anything from him. there's very little we know about what's actually going on because it seems his parents have cut off all forms of contact. he hasn't been showing up to zoom classes since wednesday night, and questioning teachers didn't help at all since it seems he hasn't been turning in work. they weren't notified by the school of an excused absence as far as we know.

    all attempts to contact him have resulted in radio silence. i'd try contacting his parents but it seems they also discovered that i was bisexual because his mom immediately blocked me on facebook after wednesday night. reaching out to them may result in him getting punished if the situation is actually as severe as we think it is, so i'm not sure i'd like to risk it. the current plan is having another, uninvolved friend try to contact the parents about his whereabouts through some inconspicuous texts/calls. so far, these have also been ignored by his mom. the original plan was to get a backup phone to him when his parents were at work- so we'd have some form of contact to clear up what was actually happening- but his parents have been home all day, everyday since wednesday. they should be at work during the weekdays at least so it's VERY strange.

    his parents have strong negative feelings about lgbt people. when he was around 13, he received a letter from his mom that detailed her disgust in him possibly identifying as bisexual, as well as her plans to disown him should he identify that way when he was older (which is the case now). i can't imagine how him being transgender would go over with the parents, since that's a whole other level of change. his mom has been extremely dismissive of his mental health concerns in the past, including denying his depressive tendencies and his desire to get diagnosed with ADHD.

    i have a couple questions about this situation and what i can do to help him.

    1. at what point should i genuinely consider requesting a wellness check from the local authorities? i feel like the longer i wait the worse this situation could get, but i also don't want to assume the worst and cause a problem for nothing. the problem is, we have very little information because all contact is cut off. the info we DO have points to a bad situation.

    2. my friend is 17. there are multiple different ways we could arrive at this scenario, but lets say he needs out of that house. my parents and i discussed it and we would absolutely be willing to take him in until he starts college on campus in the fall. he turns 18 in june. would he have the authority to choose where he wants to stay if his parents are deemed unfit to house him? he has no relatives within an hour and a half radius and i know he wouldn't want to do foster care. plus, he is turning 18 in just a couple months. there's already a room he could stay in and he goes to the local public school, so that wouldn't be an issue at all. i'm just wondering if he has an easy choice in the matter or if it's something we'd need to fight for. i really hope it doesn't come to this point, but this is my main concern.

    3. would cutting him off from the outside world (possibly including school, unless he's doing that himself) be considered a violation of his rights as a 17 year old? i can imagine that this whole thing is extremely traumatizing if it's as bad as we're suspecting. given his mom's views and past behavior dealing with the subject at hand, would this be something she could be charged for? if so, what?

    i'm trying to keep it semi-vague for privacy reasons but if you have any questions that would help you answer mine please don't hesitate to ask. i'm sorry if there's any errors in the text that i missed or if it's worded weird, i'm super worried for him and it's making focusing difficult. gotta try my best, though.

    submitted by /u/orcinidae
    [link] [comments]

    I am a director of a Ltd company and own the trademark to its name/brand name. Today an ebay seller has copied my listing word for word and has also claimed to be apart of my business

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 03:22 PM PST

    I will do my best to explain my issue. I am 20yrs old from the UK. My business is not small, it does around £80,000 a year. This is why the issue bothers me. I built this up over 4 years. Today i found an ebay seller using name business name and trademarked name to sell his item. The description makes it sound like they work for me and are a part of my team (i am the only person who handles the business). What are my options? The seller has used my name to help increase their sales. Can they legally do this? What worries me is they might wrong somebody and that person may have a bad view on my business. Can i send a cease and desist letter to them? I do own the trademark and paid just under £200 for it. What is the best way to work this out

    submitted by /u/Ahmad1356
    [link] [comments]

    passenger in Lyft accident resulting in medical bills total $18K - Lyft saying not their responsibility, drivers responsibility. Drivers insurance declined. My medical insurance declined. I don’t have auto insurance bc I live in city and don’t drive/have car.What is best way to go about it?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 07:26 PM PST

    My step dad died and I have a will but he has a crazy family.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 06:02 PM PST

    So I have the will (on believing that he hasn't changed it) to his house (and possessions) , and vehicles, and his dog. What should I do if his family steals from his house while im trying to get a probate lawyer. And what to do about his roommate who lives there and is holding onto the keys of the deceased's house and vehicle. Im afraid they're going to damage the property that I inherited? And im from michigan if that helps

    submitted by /u/GhostKhoshekh
    [link] [comments]

    My judge was my dads lawyer?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 05:43 PM PST

    Hey guys, first time poster here. I went to court a couple years ago when I was 16 for a traffic violation, My dad came with me, it turns out the judge I had used to be my dads divorce lawyer before he became a judge and my dad had never paid him his full debts. Being his divorce lawyer, this guy got in deep with my family including custody issues, and even helping my dad sue my mom. He also was my dads criminal attorney for years. It's too late for me to do anything now but in a situation where a defendant has a history with a judge like this, would that be grounds for a new hearing with a new judge, or is it a very you get what you get situation? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/dglazier17
    [link] [comments]

    A debt collection company keeps calling me every day for weeks, but I’m pretty certain I’m not in any sort of debt.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 04:07 PM PST

    They never leave a voicemail, but as far as I can tell from the internet they're a legitimate company and not a scam. I can't think of any debts I might have and I have not had any immediate family members pass away who might have transferred a debt to me.

    They call me early afternoon every single weekday. Since they haven't left a message, I figure I don't have any reason to pick up.

    Do I waive any rights by answering? Can I just tell them to piss off? Or, what should I say to find out what they want from me without giving away any information about myself or accepting responsibility? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/xFaro
    [link] [comments]

    Bought car 2 years ago clean title. Informed today 2 years later it has been deemed salvage from prior accident.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 06:18 PM PST

    So as the title suggests

    I bought a car at an auction 2 years ago, I knew about a previous accident on the carfax report but wasn't anything I was concerned about as the car appeared to be in pristine condition with about 90000 kms which is like 50000 miles... I am very Mechanically inclined so with the low mileage I was not to concerned as long as the engine ran good, I'd be ok no matter what I could fix it...

    Today I received a letter for the registrar, that my car has been deemed salvage and that I have till the end of December to have a salvage inspection or the car cannot be driven after that date.

    This letter also had the contact information of the insurance company that deemed the car salvage with a number to call. So I called them up, and they basically said I have 2 options

    1. they will pay for a salvage inspection they didn't specify what happens after that depending on outcome kinda sounded like if I went that route I'm stuck with whatever the outcome is.

    2. They want to buy the vehicle back.

    Sounds like they want pictures, wanted to know if knew about prior damage, how much I paid where I bought it. I didn't tell them anything.

    Basically the car has been driving good for the last 2 years, and I was happy with it until today.

    This insurance company is not my insurance company I might add as well...

    What are my legal options....

    This is In Alberta Canada

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/woodshedpete
    [link] [comments]

    [MD] Randomly assigned roommate is a violent felon on house arrest, how to get her out?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 07:57 AM PST

    I live in a short term lease that is currently shaping up to be the worst decision I've ever made. My roommates were assigned by the landlord (individual lease). The one girl is fine and the original 3rd girl wasn't horrible, although she got evicted. The new 3rd girl is a nightmare. We noticed when she first moved in that she had one of those house arrest ankle bracelets on, which prompted me to look into her criminal history.

    She is a convicted felon with DECADES of violent criminal history. Second degree assault, prostitution, general theft, armed robbery, you name it.

    I'm not sure how house arrest works in Maryland, but I cannot live with this person. I need them gone immediately. We never approved this person. I and the other roommate do not feel safe. I am in the process of moving out, which means now I am going to have more stuff she can steal. My other roommate is physically afraid of her as she has threatened her a few times

    How can I get her out of the house as soon as possible? My lease ends in a month which is too long to live with this liability.

    submitted by /u/snicket1121
    [link] [comments]

    Adopted parents stole child’s SS benefit

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 06:33 PM PST

    Long story short, facts now. (In Ohio) • I was was 5 years old when my mother died, I was only survivor.

    •My aunt (on fathers side, father is a drug addict and not around) adopted me with her husband,

    •My mothers SS checks were being sent to me, in my name only. Evil adopted mother had a bank account with both our names and once each check was deposited, she would withdraw the money and keep.

    • Her husband didn't agree, told her money should all be mine for college and etc

    • She divorced him, he is still legally my dad but she keeps me. Doesn't work for most of my childhood, "homeschooled" me all of elementary. But never actually schooled me.

    •Adopted mother ends up opening a martial arts school with new boyfriend. (Basically with my mothers money, estimated about 70k)

    •kicks me out when I am 17, I live with grandma. When I turn 18 I receive the last little bit of my moms SS money

    • I have no actual proof of the neglect that took place but have some people who could potentially testify to it.

    Either way, did she unlawfully steal my money? Could there be a lawsuit? Looking for options, she took almost all of the money (70k) my mother left for me to live off of and start a business. I couldn't even go to college because I couldn't afford it, FASFA said my adopted parents made too much money even though they did not offer or could not offer to help pay for it.

    submitted by /u/kroomiess
    [link] [comments]

    Car in the living room

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 08:19 PM PST

    Help! A car drove into my apartment one morning and then hit my water heater and flooded my whole apartment. What do I do legally?

    My renters insurance has already began a claim for me.

    I have very little video proof, there was a police report however the driver and passenger fled the scene and the car's insurance was expired.

    submitted by /u/No-Ad9762
    [link] [comments]

    I went in for an interview at a place that "prefers to hire women"

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 07:00 PM PST

    I went in for an interview this morning for an entry level position at a doctor's office that also does clinical research (located in Maryland). During the course of the interview my prospective employer stated that he "prefers to hire women" (I'm a man). At a later point in the interview he turns to the person who referred me (a woman) and said "I told you to bring someone just like you". For the sake of the person who referred me for the position I stayed until the end of the interview. Later this afternoon I found out that they would not be pursuing me as a candidate any further from the person who referred me (a current employee). I also found out from the person who referred me that the staff at that location is all women (over 15 employees).

    I'm not really sure about my rights in this situation and would definitely appreciate some advice.

    submitted by /u/Relevant_Selection76
    [link] [comments]

    Commissioned someone for an $800 art piece with a receipt, is no longer answering.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 07:40 PM PST

    What do I do? He hasn't answered my messages at all. I paid him and I have a receipt from the purchase. What should the process be here?

    submitted by /u/Batdude247
    [link] [comments]

    (New York) Facing discipline/potential termination for drinking off-the-clock

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 02:46 AM PST

    Hey everyone,

    This just happened, and I'm already in panic mode. I work a late second-shift job in the news industry with my hours being from 4 p.m. until 1 a.m. My job largely revolves around reporting on breaking news and emergencies, so crime, fires, motor vehicle accidents, etc.

    About 15 minutes ago, one of the head editors (my boss's boss's boss), who is also off the clock (we don't staff anyone from when I clock out at 1 until about 8 a.m.) called me. Thinking that was really strange, I made the mistake of picking up. He told me there's an apparently really bad fire going on right now, and since it's about five minutes from where I live, and they know I'm usually up very late, they wanted me to go out to it and report on it for overtime. I was honest with him and said I can't, as I've been drinking. He told me that's unacceptable to be drunk at 5:30 a.m. and to immediately report to his office when I get in today for a meeting with HR. I could understand the reasoning if I worked a 9 to 5, but my shift had only ended 4.5 hours prior. It'd be like scolding someone working a 9 to 5 for being tipsy at 9:30 p.m.

    I am 100% sure there is no stipulation in our contract that pertains to drinking off the clock. I don't have a copy of it with me for the exact wording, but the most pertinent thing is a line saying that if we see news happening, even when off the clock, we're expected to either relay it to an editor or check it out ourselves. We're also paid hourly, not salaried, if it matters.

    Any advice whatsoever about what I could bring up, or what to expect, would be fantastic. I've been struggling with serious anxiety throughout the pandemic, and this feels like it pushed me over the edge knowing I'm going to have to deal with this in 10 hours.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    submitted by /u/latejobthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    [California] Are there penalties for perjury in family court?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 05:55 PM PST

    My soon-to-be-ex is a prolific liar. He lies about big things and small things. He tells lies that are truth-adjacent and lies that are made up whole cloth.

    Coparenting with him is a nightmare because of the constant lies. He lies about when the kids went to bed, whether they've finished their schoolwork, etc.

    He has also perjured himself twice now. He fabricated allegations of abuse against me in his initial bid for custody. He failed to disclose ~$250,000 in assets and I am trying to track them down via the discovery process right now.

    Will there ever be any consequences for this behavior or do I have 14 more years (my youngest is 4 years old) of this to deal with?

    submitted by /u/ZookeepergameMore709
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment