• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 4, 2020

    Legal Advice - Maryland - landlord didn’t provide list of damages in 45 days, instead he used our deposit to repaint the entire three story townhouse and clean the kitchen, at the new tenant’s request. What should we do?

    Legal Advice - Maryland - landlord didn’t provide list of damages in 45 days, instead he used our deposit to repaint the entire three story townhouse and clean the kitchen, at the new tenant’s request. What should we do?


    Maryland - landlord didn’t provide list of damages in 45 days, instead he used our deposit to repaint the entire three story townhouse and clean the kitchen, at the new tenant’s request. What should we do?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 06:00 AM PDT

    Hi r/legaladvice,

    My husband and I rented a townhouse in St Mary's County from September 2017 until May 2020. We got married in 2019 and decided to buy a house right before coronavirus started shutting things down. We closed on our new house in mid-April and our rental lease was scheduled to be up June 30th.

    I had emailed our landlord and his mother (who manages the six or so properties he has here because he lives in DC) in early March to tell them we were buying a house and give them as much notice as possible to start looking for new tenants. The closing date was kind of up in the air with corona virus impacting when the seller's could leave and I told them that. I always cc'ed the landlord on emails.

    So landlord says he needs to come see the townhouse and see the condition since he had not been there in the three years we lived there. We were still living there at the time so all of our furniture was in its normal place - it was cute for our first place and we took better care of the place than they did. When we moved in, previous tenants had left giant marks in the walls and improperly filled in holes where curtains were hung up. We took photos of everything prior to signing the lease so we know we are good and we hung curtains in higher spots and properly patched our holes when we moved out. When landlord came in March, he said the place looked great and they wanted to know what work needed to be done to quickly turn over the unit. They said they would probably steam clean the carpets since we had a dog (and we knew the pet deposit of $300 was non refundable).

    We told landlord we would be out of the property in the event he wanted to show it NLT 25 April and so he listed property for 1 May. Now in April we are moving out, and landlord's parents stop by on the last day we are moving out. I was deep cleaning the kitchen, using appliance cleaner on all the stainless so it was sparkling, and we vacuumed and dusted and so on. I cleaned out the inside of the fridge to the point that it looked brand new. The landlord's parents said how grateful they were that we were cleaning and that we were wonderful tenants blah blah blah. They were there to see what work projects they needed their "family friend handyman" to do that weekend. They did not even venture upstairs and only looked at the main level. We left and moved into our new house.

    The next day or two, I get a call from landlord's mom saying they found a tenant who signed agreement for 1 May, sight unseen on the property. She also asks if we remember ever seeing paint cans in the storage area. We tell her no, and she explains that the units were all painted in a flat white (terrible because it shows every mark) that they can't match and it had been a long time so if there wasn't paint left it wasn't a big deal. We tell them about an app we were using in our new house for paint color and wish them luck. She says again how great we were and the townhouse looked great. I also gave her our new address verbally.

    Three weeks go by, nothing from landlord so I follow up, send him our new address via email just to ensure he has it in writing and politely ask about security deposit status. He emails back the next day saying that they had to repaint the entire townhouse due to the "holes left by the curtain rods" and the new tenant was not happy with the kitchen's cleanliness so they had to have cleaners come in. He even says that the total cost was far and above our deposit and says it cost them over $3k and that, basically, we are lucky that they aren't seeking that money beyond our security deposit.

    We waited the 45 days to see if he would mail us a certified letter with what he claims needed to be done with our deposit... it never came. Do we need to get a lawyer to go to small claims? Family say we should sternly email landlord and link the MD rental laws to scare him, but my husband and I are inclined to go to court and get the maximum we can for having to deal with this.

    TL;DR Landlord did not provide certified letter in 45 days with damages, instead used our security deposit to repaint entire unit and clean kitchen for new tenant. They said we are lucky not to pay beyond our $1700 security deposit. Sternly email or go to small claims?

    submitted by /u/beer_flavored_nips
    [link] [comments]

    Blogger has picture of my minor daughter up at his web site making disparaging remarks about me

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    Is there anything I can do about this? I have contacted the webhost company and they responded back asking for a copy of the picture in question, but the link is still up.

    The blog author removed the link from the main body of the blog, but still has a link in twitter feed. Since the post is still up, I'm pretty sure google has indexed it.

    What can I do?

    I am in US Kentucky. Blogger is from Canada, webhost is Hostgator

    Edit to add: the picture in question was taken from a social media profile without permission. I'm most concerned about my daughter. Can i claim copyright?

    submitted by /u/PommagraniteState
    [link] [comments]

    Do I HAVE to deliver mail to a squatter in my campground?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 09:38 AM PDT

    I own a campground. I know campgrounds have different laws than regular landlord-tenant laws, but obviously I'm not an attorney. I rented an rv out to a guy a couple months ago, and he decided to stop paying anything and threaten/intimidate/demand that he is staying, not paying, and there's nothing anyone can do. Alas, I got an attorney and am going through that channel to evict. Court date is next week. Some campers receive mail at my park, and I will prearrange to have a paid mailbox for them, and hold packages in the office. This morning, this squatter guy begins texting that he was expecting very important mail yesterday and didn't get it. The manager responded and told him it was returned to sender, as any mail for him would, as this is not his address. (Also nothing important even came for him yesterday). He blew up calling us idiots, saying we are really in serious trouble now, blah blah blah. I thought I was doing the complete right and legal thing. He doesn't even have a mailbox here. Help! Am I going to jail for markings return to sender on one innocuous looking piece of mail?

    submitted by /u/Trailerparkqueen
    [link] [comments]

    My mom hid my father’s guns because he is unstable. When he realized they were missing he lost it and started to threaten her, 911 was called and the police made us give him his guns back WITH ammo. Was this legal?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 04:05 AM PDT

    I live in California. My parents are currently going through the beginning stages of divorce because my father is verbally and emotionally abusive to everyone in our family. He's a total loose canon and because he has threatened violence in the past; less than six months ago he threatened to kill himself in front of all of us, we felt that in order to ensure our safety we needed to hide his firearms. Some of his guns and/or their attachments are not legal, he has disclosed this to my mother.

    Yesterday he went to his gun safe, and when he noticed they were missing he went into a complete frenzy. He was screaming at my mother at the top of his lungs to give him his guns back, and that if she didn't produce them immediately she would "regret it". Things were escalating quickly, and he started to slam things around and begin to tear up the house looking for his firearms, so I called 911.

    When the first officer arrived he was polite and professional. He spoke to both my mother and I separately while he waited for his partner to arrive. My mother said that he was threatening her, and that even before this incident he has been harassing her by verbally attacking her and following her around the house, refusing to leave her alone even when she asks him to. The other officer arrived and they both spoke with my dad (my dad was a cop in the 90s).

    When the original officer who had arrived came back to my mother and I after speaking with my father his attitude had completely changed. He went from behaving professional, and collected, and was now extremely irritated and acted as if we were wasting his time. He said that there was nothing he could do because my father wasn't showing any signs to him that he was a threat to himself or others, despite my mom and I being able to testify to hearing his threats. He said that because he didn't directly threaten to physically harm her or kill her that it wasn't a real threat. When I asked him if it was legal for my father to verbally attack my mother and follow her around the house for multiple days in a row he said that my father could do that because they're married, and it's his house (it's my mom's house too). I mentioned that there was an instance around six months ago where my dad had threatened to kill himself in front of all of us, and he said that because we hadn't filed a police report we couldn't do anything about that either. He then demanded that we retrieve my father's guns and return them to him because they were "his" property even though they are all technically communal except for one he received before marriage. My mother mentioned this and he made us give him all of the weapons anyways and ammo. The officer was incredibly rude, and argumentative. He said that he had been through a divorce where the police had to perform a civil standby so he could collect his own belongings, and that just because people "argue" they can't remove someone from their home. He minimized our situation, was undermining, and seemed incredibly biased. When we walked past my father and the other officer to go back inside to retrieve the guns they were both laughing and talking about cop stuff.

    The officer unloaded the ammunition from all of the guns that we had hidden from my father, and was about to start carrying them away before I asked him about the illegal one. He snapped at me, said something similar to "You don't know what you're talking about" and decided to examine the weapon more closely. He was irritated that I had pointed this out to him because they had to make a phone call that lasted about ten minutes to verify whether it was illegal. One of my father's weapons was not registered from what I overheard, and another one was in some way not legal in our state. They did not confiscate any of his weapons, or issue any kind of citation. While my father collected the rest of his things to leave for the night they laughed and spoke to each other as if they were coworkers or neighbors. They also gave him back all of his ammo in a big pile which I captured on video because it seemed sketchy. I was not aware at first when the cops arrived that my voice memo was still recording, because initially I was just trying to record the audio of my father threatening my mom. I decided to keep it recording when the police arrived and had a bad attitude. My dad even shook one of the officer's hand before getting in his car to drive away.

    These officers were extremely unprofessional, disrespectful, and biased because my father is a former police officer. It was the first thing he mentioned to them when they first spoke, and throughout the entire civil standby they laughed and made conversation about gun politics, some of which I captured on audio. The initial officer was particularly argumentative and impolite. When I tried to ask him questions about whether my father's behavior was completely legal or not he became extremely insulted, and told me "If you want to learn the law, go read up on the law and then come talk to me". They refused to call my mother or I "Ma'am" but always referred to my father as "Sir". My questions are, does my father's behavior count as harassment/stalking? And did the officers handle the situation correctly? Do we have the grounds to file a complaint with the sheriff's department?

    After my father left he turned around and came right back, but my mom and I didn't feel safe so we left. He spammed her phone with 30+ phone calls and text messages, all of which verbally attacking her, and threatening to go to court and try to have me evicted even though it would be a waste of time, just to make her suffer. Some of these phone calls were also recorded on voice memo which could be evidence. From my little amount of research, The Violence Against Women Act of 2005 would suggest that my father his guilty of stalking and harassment. The officer said that all of my father's behavior was perfectly legal.

    submitted by /u/GodlyPumpkin
    [link] [comments]

    [California] Auto Shop not giving my totaled car back unless I pay "$500 tip for him helping"?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    I am in California. My car was in accident a few weeks ago. Car was kept in Auto Shop. Other party insurance claimed liability. Car was deemed total loss, other party insurance will payout for vehicle and vehicle is mine to keep and decide what to do with it. Car has no lien, I am still current owner and have title. Insurance says to take car out of shop by July 2nd.

    July 2nd morning I went to get vehicle, he verbally tells me he wants $500 tip for helping to total vehicle? I tell him it depends how much reasonable work he performs to help me sell vehicle for a good price. Example if he helps me sell vehicle for $2000 then, I would consider $500 tip.

    He offered $1000 for vehicle and I would give him $500 tip for helping, so I would get $500 total from him. I told him I would need time to decide and came back the next day.

    July 2nd evening I decided I'd rather tow the car to my house, take off some parts, and donate vehicle. I set appointment on Saturday July 11th for pick up with my driver license number and car license plate number.

    July 3rd I told him I wanted to tow vehicle to my house, he says I can only tow if I give him $500. Other option is he pays me $500 and keeps the car.

    He has not provided any written notices for the $500. I have not seen any written itemized list of charges for the $500. $500 does not seem reasonable.

    He is receiving money from insurance for all work performed, towing, inspection, and storage. I don't see why I have to pay $500 to get my car back.

    Questions: - What is my best course of action to get my vehicle back?

    • Does any Bureau of Automotive Repair laws or storage laws protect me from any charges to get my vehicle back?

    • Will BAR Assembly Bill BA2392 protect me from any unreasonable storage of my vehicle?

    Thank you in advance for any advice on this matter.

    submitted by /u/bravedanny
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure if the company I work for did something shady or if it was illegal? They filed for unemployment in my name using my SSN and set up direct deposit and connected it to their bank account?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    So, I'm 18 and I guess I might have been a bit gullible, but I do want to know if this was illegal and if I should do something about it or if there is anything I CAN do about it. I may also be completely wrong but I'm not very knowledgeable about these things but it's better safe than sorry. I'm an unpaid intern at the company I've been with at since February. I get paid on a per project basis (I have done 1 project so I got paid for that project).

    A few weeks ago, they told me that they got a grant from the government and that they could pay me a small amount every month through the grant and they'll put me on their payroll. They had me fill out a form with my social security number and address and my license number and a bunch of other personal information. Since I've been at this company for a for a few months, I felt pretty confident that this wasn't a scam or anything. I met the bosses ans everything, they're young and it's a relatively small company but again, it's been a few months and no warning bells.

    Well, I got a letter saying that I got denied for unemployment which I thought was odd because I haven't ever filed for unemployment, but I brushed it off and thought maybe it was just a normal thing. Then, I decided to sign up for IDES (Illinois Department of Employment Security) to apply for assistance because I have had a tutoring business on the side and when covid hit, everything went south and any amount of money helps. But, when I went to regidter it said I already had an account. Again, I thought it was strange but I wasn't sure so I clicked forgot password and entered my info.

    Turns out, I have an account because they made one for me without telling me. The address was the home address I gave them but the email address is a company email address that they never gave me access to or told me existed (so it looks like: myname@companyname.com).

    Here's the kicker... I looked at direct deposit and it's THEIR bank account info, not mine. I'm really concerned right now and again, I'm not sure if this is illegal or just sketchy or maybe it's not sketchy at all and I'm just overthinking it??? Do you need to set up an IDES account to get an employee money from your grant that you got from the government? Can anyone help me? Please, any info would be greatly appreciated!

    TLDR: the company I work for made an IDES account without telling me, filed for unemployment in my name, used an email address that I dont have access to, and set up a direct deposit using their bank account info. Is this illegal???

    Thank you so much and I'm sorry if I am overthinking this and this is something that's completely normal.

    submitted by /u/mika688
    [link] [comments]

    Someone Venmo'd themselves $4.5k. What can I do?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    Was out grocery shopping and as I was leaving some guy comes up to me and begged me to use my phone to "send his friend the code to his apartment". Was very hesitant at first but naively obliged -- how could I cold-heartedly turn down someone who was begging for my help.

    Well, turns out the dude, instead, Venmo's himself and his friend a total of $4.5k.

    I'm currently fighting the charge with my bank and am trying to get in contact with Venmo (just my luck this happens during the holidays) to explain the situation so that they don't ban me from the service.

    I have his full name (from him sending himself a Venmo??) as well as an accomplice's actual phone number, which he used to perpetuate his lie by phoning and having a fake conversation with him. I actually called that number back and the same dude answered it (what idiots!!).

    So I have actual names, actual phone numbers and a police report. What kind of action can / should I take?

    Thanks for the advice

    (Edit) Location: Charlotte, NC

    submitted by /u/R3strictd
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord Says If I Buy Washer/Dryer For Apartment, I have To Leave It Here When I Move Out. - California

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    My wife and I have been in the same apartment in Los Angeles for 5 years. The unit does not have a washer dryer and we've always used our neighborhood laundromat. However, we've recently looked into purchasing a washer/dryer combo. Upon consulting with our landlord he gave us some interesting information that I was wondering if anyone with knowledge of California renters law could advise on. He says that if we buy and have the washer/dryer unit, that according to California Law, we could not remove it from the premises when we move out one day. This basically means that we're buying a washer and dryer for him and his apartment that we pay to rent from him.

    Does this sound right to anyone? If I bought a window AC Unit, I could take that with me when I leave so why is this different for a washer/dryer machine? Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/darkestb4thadawn
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal to open packages delivered to you by mistake?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 07:22 PM PDT

    This is in Washington state.

    My families home address is XXX XXXth pl nw. There is a close neighbor who is XXX XXYth pl nw, so one number off from us.

    For years we've had packages go missing and it wasn't until October this year when we ordered a new washer and dryer set we realized what was happening. The company calls us and says they are in our driveway and I explain, no they are not. Apparently they went to the neighbors house and the neighbor was in the process of signing for the washer and dryer. To take them. We put a stop to it and we got the washer and dryer after that.

    But then we realized what was happening. A lot of our packages get delivered there. We've confronted them and gotten a few things back, but never anything expensive. We've had a lot of things go missing. Clothing, electronics, textbooks, baby items. Also any package that was returned was always opened and sometimes used or worn.

    I've talked to the post office, FedEx, and USPS and told them to make sure they are delivering to the right place. It didn't help much.

    Today my husband tried to surprise me with food from Door Dash and surprise, it went to their house. I went over to confront them and one of the people who lives there says they take her things as well and she doesn't know what to do. I guess there is quite a few people living there.

    So my question is, is what they are doing illegal? If a package has someone else's name and address and they open and keep the items, is that illegal? Can I call the police? I take care of my senior father and he wants to call the FBI but I don't think that's the answer. I'm just at a loss of what to do. I'm out a lot of money over the years. If there is any advice anyone can offer me I'd love to hear it.

    submitted by /u/BleachedJam
    [link] [comments]

    Was told I was NOT the father in a Child Support Case yet I still have a court date?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 04:10 PM PDT

    Hi

    I am going to keep this simple, I live in FL and in Jan I went to go grab lunch and when I got back I was served Child Support papers for a child that isn't mine.

    It was a case out of Cook(or should I say crook) County, Illinois. I have NEVER been to Illinois and I knew 100% that it wasn't mine yet I was still required to send them a picture of my ID so the mother of the child could confirm.

    She came in and determined I was NOT the father, I have evidence backing my claim from the child support services of Cook county saying I am NOT the father.

    I was told I would be sent paperwork to finalize it right, and now I call them to see what's taking so long for the paperwork(that I should've received months ago) and I was told my case is still pending and I have a court date July 8th? Why? Why wasn't my SSN removed from their database?

    I cannot make it to court in 4 days, nor should I have to when I've been told I wasn't the father and it should've been dismissed MONTHS ago. On the paperwork, they used a random house address as my work address and used a former employer of mine, who I called and confirmed they have no business or property in Illinois period. I have never seen this woman in my life and I am puzzled about how I was served papers without any sort of verification to make sure I am the father. I understand they might not have details on who the father is so that just means you go out and guess? Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Hudsonport
    [link] [comments]

    Increasingly passive aggressive/borderline racist roommates - Can I leave a joint lease?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 09:33 PM PDT

    Hello,

    This is in the state of Florida.

    As the title states, my roommates had become increasingly passive aggressive and racist since we started living together.

    When my roommates first moved in, they weren't very expressive regarding their political views but they were fairly conservative. Since then I had started my masters in social work which is inherently more left leaning. I am often met with being addressed as Mao or some form of communist reference (I am Chinese) rather than my name. Whenever they come home together, I am often greeted with this or have snide comments about liberals meant as an insult.

    Whenever I address them with these kind of issues I am met with petty passive aggressive responses, such as sensitive, snowflake, liberal, etc. This is extremely exhausting because it is my home. This issue has gotten progressively worse over the past year as they tend to just hype each other up regarding politics.

    An example of passive aggressive behavior - roommate 1's cousin called me and said he found a video of his wife cheating on him, and told me a detailed plan about going to find and murder the guy in the video. I asked him if he told roommate 1 but said he couldn't get a hold of him because he was sleeping. So I wake roommate 1 up at midnight. Apparently he knew about this and threw a fit that I woke him up. For the next week I am met with snide comments like "your mom called, why the fuck don't you call her more? (I don't speak with my parents often). Or "I'm going to fucking wake you up and see how you like it".

    Basically any issues I bring up is met with passive aggression and petty responses.

    Like I said above, this is extremely exhausting to be around and becoming damaging to my personal health (mentally and physically). I had become much less active since we started living together.

    Is there any way that I would be able to be removed from the current lease? Would I be able to pay the early termination fee to terminate the lease, or would that require my roommates to agree to it as well? If they do not agree, what other course of action do I have?

    submitted by /u/No-Way-a-Throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Copyright made on name of group that existed for 3 years, person demanding all assets transferred. Is this really legal?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    I'm apart of a Roblox community that has existed for 3+ years. Recently, someone DM'ed the owner saying they own a patent on the name and requires all assets be transferred over or else legal action will be taken.

    He appears to have done this with several communities like this, for no reason.

    He also has no legal experience clearly, saying things like "If you leak my information from the patent I'll sue you!!!!!!!" verbatim.

    State of Firestone and Stapleton County are both used to make money, if that matters.

    I just wanted to know if he has the actual power to claim these assets, and if so is it possible to challenge or prevent him from taking them?

    Thank you, and have a great fourth of july.

    EDIT: New information: He did this to another group in the past.

    submitted by /u/spyjams088
    [link] [comments]

    Mom’s taking me to court for 3rd time in 3 years. Help

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    I live in Canada, Alberta. My mom and I had a falling out over her disrespecting my husband and I as parents and refusing to listen to us. She threatened me for a year to take me to court, attempted to guilt trip me, accused me of using my kids against her (I literally said I just wasn't putting up with her emotionally abusive behaviour and until she could respect us as parents we'd have nothing to do with her). Got served court papers with 48hrs of my youngest being born. Got a lawyer, avoided court, made a supervised court order visitation with all communication to be done through email. Year and a half of having to put up with her emotional abuse and treat us like garbage while she continued to do her own thing with our kids, always threatened court. I feel I suffer a form of ptsd now whenever I see someone who looks like her I get anxiety, sometimes I freeze up and it takes a lot of strength not to run and behave like I'm fine.

    2nd time she served us court papers 1 month after our wedding. Social worker was interested to see it go to court, but mom lawyered up and had an in person meeting. I barely said anything except to clarify something, felt I was positive. Didn't stop her from freaking out on me, calling me a liar, using the kids against her, etc. You know it's bad when both lawyers in the room are telling her to stop her behaviour. For my sanity it was stated in the new court order that my husband would take over all communication through emails. Did not stop her from attacking me, making accusations of me writing the email when it was my husband.

    Now we have COVID pandemic going on. Our side of the city is said to be a hot spot. I was diagnosed with asthma last year, my eldest (6) has had pneumonia and severe croup, and my youngest (3) is severely allergic to peanuts and known to have random allergic reactions due to really sensitive skin. Husband is a trucker. So, with discussion from my lawyer we began self quarantining, informed my mom that we would resume visits once the pandemic is over. No family or our friends has seen my kids since the start.

    Today my mom showed up unannounced to serve us our 3rd court papers. Since she is quick to flip her switch I told my kids calmly to go upstairs to play. I will be haunted by seeing them afraid, to see them hide under their beds despite my best to reassure them everything was fine while my mom pounded on our door and say to us to open because she knew we were home.

    My kids haven't mentioned her at all since we self isolated. They say how they miss my husbands parents, brother and his family, their friends, our friends who they get to see like 3-4 times a year. They miss the dog that lives with my mother over her. I've tried saying if the dog wasn't there, but they would still see grandma would they want to go. I get the answer not really or a half hearted yeah.

    The reason stated that she's taking us to court says that she believes we are using COVID as an excuse to cancel visits with her and that she has rights to visits and the kids have rights to know her and that side of the family (I've been alienated thanks to her crying to most family about how mean I'm being to her and without asking anything from me they've sided with her, however I have some family that she doesn't talk to and I'm free to talk to and do, my eldest has some cousins on kids messenger). I believe she is also angry over the fact that we did not revisit the court order like discussed, however this is on her because she let her lawyer go, refused to get another one and my lawyer said unless she has a lawyer for a sit in meeting, it wasn't happening. She's refusing to get car seats and has stated that she believes we should be providing them (we've stated wear and tear on our seats is why we don't wish to continue to use ours and she was suppose to make an effort to get her own, she didn't. If she had made some form of effort we would've been willing to work with her and help her) she also wants to add police assistance to the clause. I strongly believe this isn't about the kids. This is about control over us and getting what she wants when she wants and doing what she wants. She has done nothing to show how interested in the kids she is. She doesn't ask how they are, what they are doing, wish them happy birthday or happy holidays, nothing. She just demands more and more time like she's a divorced parent, not a grandparent.

    What can we do at this stage? Physically and mentally done with her. A friend said we could counter sue her for stress and court fees, is it worth it? We want no contact at this stage. Done discussing visitation.

    submitted by /u/libracourt
    [link] [comments]

    Probably a dumb question but can I make a contract?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    I'm 16 and I mow yards, this one dude hasn't paid me twice and asks for invoices. I've given him the invoices for each time I mow and he still hasn't paid me. I know I should just stop mowing, but am I able to make a contract or agreement that if he misses 2 consecutive payments that he will have to pay ___ amount of money? And I know he can pay it since he lives in a neighborhood of 1-2 million dollar homes.

    Frisco, Texas

    submitted by /u/K_Its_Not_Original
    [link] [comments]

    (Alberta) My daughter was sexually assaulted by her dad. What happens now?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    Calgary, AB

    Just to add context, mg ex and I are currently embroiled in a divorce and it hasn't been easy. My daughter who is 7 came back to me last weekend and had a breakdown/anxiety attack because she said her father made her touch his penis and it had to be a secret. I swear my whole world just shattered. As a survivor of SA which was never reported (because I was stupid and young and naive thinking I would be nice and not rock the boat with her father), I have no idea whag I should be doing or if there is even a case for her.

    I have called the police who had her come in for a forensic interview early this week but it has been radio silence since. From my understanding, she said a whole bunch of other things as well. Im just worried because it will literally be her word against her father's and he is already trying to frame it as me making false allegations as a way to get back at him. CPS and the police both have not gotten back to me and i am worried that she will need to go back. My daughter is absolutely petrified and has been day wetting as well as having nightmares. What is the process? What should I expect and is there even a case for her.

    Thank you for any insight.

    submitted by /u/_chinook_82
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Hardware store sent my hard drive home with another customer.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    I'm wondering if there's any action I can take against the company for sending my hard drive home with someone else. There was lots of personal and sensitive information on it and they offered me a 50% repair discount as a sorry. Should I lawyer up? What kind of lawyer would one seek for something like this?

    Edit: This all took place in California.

    submitted by /u/bitty_bitty_bong
    [link] [comments]

    Seller has possession of property for one week after sale, it is in the contract; purchasers starts entering the inhabited house without permission & without notification.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 07:44 PM PDT

    First of all what a great reddit, hats off to everyone that gives legal advice here.

    Haven't had any problems with the buyer until this and had not anticipated this, but I still have 3 days remaining in possession of the property as we pack to move.

    Came home and discovered that the purchaser, without any communication, had entered our house, turned off the air conditioner and had gone through some of our personal items.

    This is in Missouri where apparently landlords do not have to give the tenants notice before entering their property (Yes this state is in the stone age in more ways than one)

    However this person is not my landlord and I am not his tenant.

    This property has been owned out right since 1877. And like I said, in the contract it says verbatim: 'Seller retains possession of the property until 7-7-20'

    So I want to make sure I have the law behind what I say to him when I call him tomorrow.

    Everything online is about landlords and tenants.

    If no one knows the answer to this I'm pretty sure the local sheriffs department isn't going to know either. I don't want things to turn sour, but he cannot be doing this, and depending on the time of day that he decides to let himself into my house without warning it could be extremely dangerous for him.

    I have severe sleep disorders due to PTSD (the Afghanistan combat flavor, not the 'my dad yelled at me' flavor) and I have all the associated anxiety of being hyper vigilant and over prepared. It's not fun.

    What happened to common sense courtesy and respect for other human beings?

    Any thoughts, advice or answers are greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/RobertPrice075
    [link] [comments]

    CO- employer providing USED unwashed MASKS

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    My sisters (16 years old and 20 years old) employer (a hotel restaurant) requires that the employees wear a black mask, and ONLY the black masks they provide.

    They have been providing cloth masks that are obviously used- wrinkled and tied, stinking of cigarette smoke. Her eyes have been watering during her shift from the cigarette smoke in the mask.

    Can anything be done about this? They have tried to take the masks home to wash them or wear their own and are denied.

    Thank you Colorado USA

    submitted by /u/Abeabi
    [link] [comments]

    My friends mom purposely got me strung out on meth when I was 15.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    I wanna know if I have any way to either bring to justice or sue the woman who got me strung out on meth when I was 15. Here's what happened and my own best guess as to why she did it. This goes all the way back to 1992 and when I had just moved from a white little enclave in Ohio and going to Catholic school to living in an urban part of town and of San Diego. I was very naive, trusting, and immature at that age. I was very prone to suggestions and desperately wanted to fit in. I wore oversized cross colors and listened to rap music because I thought it would help me blend in. I met a friend at this time and we will call him James Spider for the purpose of this ( not his real name or his moms real name) and his mom Shelly Spider had just moved a couple house down from my Aunt Janets house off Derrick Drive in a rental. The house was the single most disgusting place I have ever seen before or after and I'm sure it should have been featured on both hoarders and intervention 20 years later down the road, could have done a special cross over and maybe a lil Pit Bulls and Paroles to boot. As I mentioned earlier I wasn't that adept at that age and was definitely what you would call an innocent catholic school boy who wore a shirt and tie to school for most of my life up until this point. Well I hang around James and he invited me over to hang out. I was from an upper middle class family ( they actually had a robust middle class in those days) and didn't understand not to flaunt anything or anything smart like that or streetwise in any fashion. I remember meeting his mother and was amazed that a woman that looked to be about 75 with no teeth and a cigarette constantly perched in her lips could have a teenage son, mind you I don't know anything about methamphetamine or what a " tweaker" is at this time. So we are hanging out and his mom pulls out a pen that was coated in some sort of residue and she starts sniffing and pulls out I think a paper clip to scrape the residue off on the inside and rails up three lines for her, her son and me. I felt very uncomfortable and didn't know what to do and felt pressured into snorting it so I did it. I never felt so good in my life( never would find that feeling again) and they proceeded to give me some every day over the next couple weeks till I was strung out and the freebies stopped and they proceeded over the next 6 months or so to manipulate, use me, and take advantage of me to the point where they actually stole my car as a family. A few months ago I discovered that the disgusting human turd who did that to me is still alive and has a lot of grandkids looking up to her. I don't know if she's sober or not and at this point I don't care. I was so enraged I wrote a text to about half the people on her Facebook to let them know the content is of her character and the imminent threat she poses to children. Her daughter had the audacity to blame me and threaten me with harassment charges. These people used to have the cops at their door almost daily and now they have the audacity to threaten me? Do I have any way to hold that woman accountable?

    submitted by /u/ohhiky77
    [link] [comments]

    WV - Moved into a nightmare home

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    We moved cross country to a house in WV sight unseen(lesson learned!). I toured the property a week prior to our lease start date and asked to cancel immediately, the management company said I could cancel but would keep my security deposit even though I hadn't moved in yet.

    The home was listed as non smoking, no pets and lawn maintenance included. The house reeked of cigarette smoke and had a bucket of cigarette butts in the garage, the lawn is overgrown and covered in weeds and the carpets are torn up and have obvious pet damage.

    The house was filthy, think black handprints along every single wall, switch plate, spilled juice and sticky junk in every drawer/cabinet, brown toilet seats, brown caulking, etc.

    Unfortunately we had no time to find anything else - we asked to paint(at our own cost), and requested cleaners, carpet cleaning and pest control.

    After moving in a week late the dishwasher floods, washer/dryer don't work, ice maker doesn't work, tub drains are clogged...just a long list of things that should have been checked.

    2.5 weeks in my daughters wake up COVERED in bites. I ripped up the carpet and found bedbugs in the baseboards - eggs, dead and live bugs, and exoskeletons. My oldest daughters box spring also has live bugs. Nothing in our linens or mattresses- pest control determined we did not bring them.

    I want the landlord to provide a heat treatment, replace our ruined belongings and replace the all carpet/padding throughout the house.

    I'm 7+months pregnant and have two young children - all they want to do is spray insecticide on a biweekly basis which is full of chemicals and won't fully take care of our problem.

    What are my options here?

    submitted by /u/jess_grant
    [link] [comments]

    Joint Tenants with Right to Survivorship

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    My dad died a couple of years ago and my mom can no longer live alone, mostly due to dementia. We are buying a larger house to live in together with my disabled daughter and grandson. Mom is paying the down payment and I'm paying the mortgage, taxes and insurance -- Mom is paying approximately 1/3 of the cost of the house. The plan is to have mom on the deed as joint tenants with right to survivorship and we both signed the offer on the house. The more I read about JYWROS, the more I worry that it's not what we should be doing. My brother says he has no interest in what mom does with the money, but we don't have the best relationship and his interest could change when mom dies. Can someone give me some insight on the best way to handle this? We're in Illinois. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Three-BTs
    [link] [comments]

    [Update] Working uncompensated overtime while making less than California overtime exemption salary

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    original post

    After my original post (thank you /u/minorcommentmaker and /u/mishney), I contacted HR and asked for clarification on why we were making below the minimum for exempt software employees despite being classified exempt (and working huge amounts of overtime). They pretty quickly acknowledge it was a mistake, and everyone on our team who was affected either got backpay and their current pay adjusted as if they'd started at the required salary, or was asked to recreate how much overtime they'd worked and were paid for it. I later heard other teams in the company made the same changes. It wasn't completely positive--some contractors were laid off, presumably because of the increased cost of paying the employees.

    submitted by /u/bubblesorted
    [link] [comments]

    North Carolina - Can Hooter's restrict my fiancee and her coworkers from eating at all on the job?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    Hi, y'all. My fiancee and I reside in NC, and she works at a Hooter's location. She typically works 39-hour weeks, they don't give her any more so they don't have to pay her overtime. A typical shift might be just morning, just evening, or both - both, open-to-close, would be around 13 hours straight.

    She has told me that they don't receive breaks, but I'm not sure of the labor laws of the restaurant business and if this is common for waitstaff or not. I know that in most of my jobs, there has been some sort of ratio, like for every 4 hours I worked I got 15 minutes for break, or something like that.

    With that out of the way, here's a recent rule of theirs that I feel probably violates labor laws in some way: She and her coworkers were told that they can no longer eat on the job, since some people were abusing it. When you combine this with the fact that some of the women are working 13 hour shifts, and Hooters already requires their waitresses to stay very petite (their uniforms only come in XXS, XS, and S,) I feel like this not only violates laws of some sort but is potentially dangerous. Does anyone know if it is indeed illegal, and if so, what we can do about it?

    Thank you so much.

    Edit: This is not a company-wide policy, but instead is just for their location

    submitted by /u/UNCAWorkers
    [link] [comments]

    Venmo temporarily restricted account, will I be able to recoup my funds?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    So basically a friend of mine took my phone and paid themselves $180. I didn't consent to this charge. I stupidly freaked out on the Venmo customer service chat feature and said "someone used my account to pay themselves how do I reverse the payment" blah blah blah.

    I woke up the next morning to an email saying my account has been temporarily restricted because it's been flagged for security features. Seems as though they believe my account was breached via a cyber-hack. Which is not the case. My account was never breached. My friend just took my phone to use Venmo to pay themselves.

    I have $800 in the account that I now can't access. I'm freaking out. Customer Service from the chat feature told me I have no choice but to wait for the email support team to reach out to me. I emailed requesting my account to be unfrozen.

    I've read horror stories online about Venmo stealing people's money. I'm sick with anxiety. I can't afford to lose this $800 that's locked in my account. I don't even care about my friend taking the $180 anymore.

    Please help

    Edited to add I'm located in New York City

    submitted by /u/IcyConclusion9192
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment