• Breaking News

    Monday, December 7, 2020

    Legal Advice - Power company claimed we stole electricity from them, and charged us an investigation fee and lockbox. When I called they said "the judgement was final, and the ticket was closed."

    Legal Advice - Power company claimed we stole electricity from them, and charged us an investigation fee and lockbox. When I called they said "the judgement was final, and the ticket was closed."


    Power company claimed we stole electricity from them, and charged us an investigation fee and lockbox. When I called they said "the judgement was final, and the ticket was closed."

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 04:27 PM PST

    Just like the title says, my wife and I purchased a new home a couple of months ago. We took possession of the house on September 18th at 5:00pm after closing at 4:00pm. When we arrived at the house, the electricity was on. We thought nothing of this as our previous house was the same way. We called to have the power switched into our name, they said they would send someone out on the 22nd to turn everything on. In hindsight I now realize they believed the power was off. I don't know what I thought, maybe the terminology or checking the meter to see what to charge the previous owners and to charge us. I don't know, never dealt with this before. Anyway, we received our first bill, nothing out of the ordinary, we set up auto pay and moved on. Fast forward to November 1st, our bill shows an investigation charge and a lockbox charge. My wife calls the power company and the person on the phone says "when the technician arrived on the 22nd he found that the power was already on illegally." She didn't have much more information for my wife, but gave my number to the investigation department for a call and explanation. After a week with no call, I call today. The person on the line says that we are being charged for the power being on illegally, and for tampering with the power box. (We obviously did neither of these acts) I asked for proof that it was ever turned off. They said they had notes from the technician but that was all. It basically boiled down to. "The power was on illegally, you are the homeowner, therefore you are responsible for the charges." I asked what time the power was turned off. They said 10:15am, I then said "we took possession of the home at 5:00pm and the power was on. I have my realtor and others as witness to this. After more time arguing, they called the investigation department who told them "The ticket is closed, and they have been billed. At this point there is nothing we can do." The investigation department never notified us of this "investigation" we found out when our bill came back and had the extra charges. The previous owners said they don't remember the power being turned off that day. (they were there cleaning before close). What can I do at this point. I filed an "informal claim" with the Utilities Commission of Ohio, but I don't have a lot of faith in them as they are there to "verify procedure was followed during the investigation." This all occurred in Dayton, Ohio.

    submitted by /u/packardpa
    [link] [comments]

    Apartments charging me for a whole year even if I didn’t live there

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 05:16 AM PST

    Back in 2018, I applied for a student apartment online. I was told my application was rejected cause I had no credit. I tried adding two co signers but neither of them qualified. I never paid any fees or had face to face contact with the complex. Now I'm in collections for $9,300.

    I was told I still signed the lease and I'm still responsible even though I didn't qualify. I never got a copy of the lease or received any keys.

    Is there any way around this? I'm stuck in my apartments for another 7 years because no one wants to rent to me :/ I was just 18 and dumb

    Update: I contacted the collections agent. The apartments still own the debt. I asked for validation letters about 2 weeks ago but I haven't received anything. Is it odd that the collector has never contacted me? As a debt collector I never call people want to avoid

    submitted by /u/sweetascensionn
    [link] [comments]

    (Oregon) Doctors office potentially leaked my drinking problem to my employer.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 03:45 PM PST

    First things first, I'm going to be keeping this relatively vague for privacy reasons.

    I have a drinking issue. It has really been made worse this year, after losing my job suddenly during the initial first few months of COVID, a lot of family issues and then losing my best friend to illness. My drinking has quickly progressed from casual to excessive but I have so far managed to only drink on weekends.

    I have recently been dealing with some medical issues not directly related to, but could be enhanced by my drinking. I made an appointment to see a doctor specialized in what I'm dealing with. After making the appointment, I found out that my coworkers father is employed at said Doctors office. I found this out because I made the call in proximity to my coworker who over heard where I was going and who later explained their father worked there. This coworker has done some unrelated things in the past to make me not trust them.

    While at the appointment, I realized that my coworkers father was in fact the person who would be doing my initial screening and medical questionnaire. I have never met them, but they knew I was coming and asked me about if I worked with said coworker. We made casual conversation before the questionnaire and i didn't think anything of it at the time. One of the questions had to do with my alcohol consumption. I answered honestly that I have roughly about 30 beers a week. However, I truly only do drink on nights that I am off the next day. I have limited myself to that and never broken that while working for this employer. I know it's hard to believe with the amount I drink, but that's the honest truth. Usually I will get black out drunk Friday and Saturday and only stop after I've fallen asleep. My coworker or anyone else in the business has ever seen me drink anything alcoholic. I have never shown up to work drunk or hung over.

    Fast forward to last week, 2 weeks after my appointment. I was in the office and my boss, who has never once said anything about alcohol made a comment that someone who was just in my office smelled like alcohol. I said that I did not notice (I truly didn't.) He then made casual conversation with me while not so subtly gradually getting closer to me while pretending to be looking for something we both knew would not be in my office. Quite obviously trying to smell me. He then gradually changed the subject as to how my partner was doing and how I was dealing with the sudden loss of my best friend who passed a few months ago. Both of which are things I generally am not open to talking about with them, and they're only aware of because of days I had to request off relating to.

    Ultimately, I am 99% sure my coworker's father told my coworker about how much I drink. And I think that coworker told my boss. If I can prove this, can they be liable for anything? While my drinking has progressed, it has never once effected any part of my work. I have continued to never miss a day and still perform my job extremely well. After this happened, it is truly making me feel ashamed and paranoid. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/LAthrowawayBoozer
    [link] [comments]

    Middle School forcing me to take down a website...

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 03:30 PM PST

    Hi. I hope I am doing this all correctly, and that I am not in the wrong place or something, but here is my situation. A little context first, I am in 9th grade, which is technically high school grades-wise but you have to deal with the middle school administration and are in that building, if that matters. I have a website that I run that houses unblocked games, I will leave the link out to avoid having this post removed, but it is just a common, simple google site with flash games and embeds. I have operated it for around 3 years, never accessing it from my school computer or account to avoid any punishment. I recently was pulled in and given a detention, which isn't the biggest deal, but it is a first for me, and told that if I don't take down and delete the site, I will be suspended for 7 days. My problem with that is, I never accessed, edited, or manipulated the site from anything related to school, like my school computer/account, or during school hours. Nothing in the school rules even mentions activity outside of school other than very serious circumstances like immediate threats to a student or faculty member's life and/or well-being, and illegal activity done on or with school property. As of today, the school technology policy linked in the code of conduct is inaccessible due to the site being down, but that is going off topic. I feel like the forced deletion is against the first amendment or student rights in some way, (I'm a novice, so this is kind of an extremely-lightly educated guess, not a good basis for any action, that's why I'm here,) as the site has no hate speech, violence, or lewd content and is completely unrelated account-wise to my school-provided account. Is there something here that I could do or say to prevent deleting years of work to a website that I made and accessed only on a personal account?

    Thanks for your help, and sorry if I messed up any formatting or things of the sorts, and if you have any questions/if I left out information please tell me, and I can edit this post/add that information. I'm going to stop writing now and work on my schoolwork for today, so, bye.

    submitted by /u/throwawayaccount6132
    [link] [comments]

    Parents are kicking me out, making me leave behind my mentally ill little sister

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 06:45 PM PST

    Hello all... I (23F) currently live at home with my parents and my (16F) little sister. I was planning to move out at the end of next year when I finished college, but, yet again, my parents are kicking me out. They consider standing up for yourself and others disrespectful. they want me out by the end of January, but I'm trying to get a loan and some other things lined up so I can move out ASAP. Theres just one big thing concerning me...

    I'm going to have to leave behind my best friend, And my little sister. My parents are mentally, verbally, and emotionally abusive to all of their children, and they refuse to see anything wrong with their ways. They had CPS called on them when I was about 9, and my sister was 2. They kicked me out and I wasn't wearing anything but a nightgown.

    I don't want to leave behind my little sister. She's got pretty bad depression, anxiety, and she has a very hard time focusing right now with online schooling, and my mom refuses to get her anything(medication wise) for her problems. She thinks vitamins will fix everything and that "happiness is a choice". She told my sister those two things when she was seeking help for her depression.

    When I move out, she's going to keep my sister from seeing me any more than 1 night a month, 2 hours a week. We do everything together. What do I do?????

    submitted by /u/Leah_8_19
    [link] [comments]

    My grandma's home health aide knowing went to her house while coughing with a fever, now my grandma is in the ICU with covid.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 02:34 PM PST

    My grandma is 82, and needs a home health aide to care for her every day. last week, her home health aide showed up coughing with a fever and refused to leave, saying if she was still sick tomorrow she would take off, but would not get tested for covid. My grandma is now in the ICU with a positive COVID-19 test result, along with a brain bleed+clot from a fall due to complications with covid. my family had to sign a DNR, as she is medically unfit to have emergency surgery, so her likely hood of survival is extremely slim. Can my family sue?

    EDIT: located in Ohio.

    submitted by /u/MayfieldMania
    [link] [comments]

    Can an employer tell me I'm not allowed to eat at competing restaurants?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 08:10 PM PST

    Maryland:

    I work at a BBQ restaurant, in a mall food court, and my boss has a policy that we aren't allowed to eat at any of the other restaurants, even off the clock.

    submitted by /u/Suspicious_red
    [link] [comments]

    (Colorado) Received Letter about unpaid public transportation ticket - I don’t take public transit ever - Stolen identity?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 07:03 PM PST

    I received an "Order of Cancellation and Denial" on my license for an unpaid citation where a court date was missed. After several hours on the phone and doing research online I found the record and the city is saying I received a ticket on 10/05/2020 for not paying fare on public transportation. They have my full name and the physical stats listed on my license but they have my weight wrong and they have an address that I haven't lived at for 3 years.

    The fine is relatively small at $130 but I literally don't take public transportation and know that I was with a friend having a beer the night of the incident and I drove to and from (1 beer, legal to be driving). The ticket was also issued in a part of my city that I never visit and have no reason to visit.

    I submitted a request for video and audio evidence and they said there is none for the case.

    I have tried contacting the city attorney but got no response.

    What can I do here? My fear is that somebody is out there claiming to be me and if I pay this, what happens if something more serious happens in the future?

    submitted by /u/beernsleep
    [link] [comments]

    Account stolen in an online game. Company refuses to help out, because hacker spent money on stolen account.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 09:25 PM PST

    The origin of this topic came from a subreddit of a popular game called Genshin Impact, created by a company called Mihoyo that is based in mainland China.

    To give a quick summary, the last couple of months has not been going well for Mihoyo when it comes to public relations, due to the community having found out that Mihoyo has done very little when it comes to security and protecting the privacy of its userbase. It first started with a minor privacy issue of your connected mobile phone number not being censored inside your personal settings, but it quickly escalated to things like being able to retrieve someone's email by just knowing the username, being able to bruteforce 2FA due to the lack of timeouts and even completely bypassing the 2FA by just refreshing the page. In the timespan of a month, many users were hacked and many were obviously upset at the lackluster security features (they're all fixed now, don't bother trying).

    Now today, one of the users who got hacked filed a report in an attempt to get his/her account back. To his surprise, his ticket was brushed aside, the justification being that since another person has made purchases on the stolen account, they no longer are able to help him retrieve back his account.

    Personally speaking, this is a really scummy business practice from Mihoyo. Legally speaking, what laws are being broken in this situation and what are the legal options for the person who got his account stolen?

    submitted by /u/Tsubakura
    [link] [comments]

    Legal liability of creating a 100% accessible rental unit to help those in need?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 07:36 PM PST

    I've been thinking about this for awhile now. Both of my parents passed away from illnesses that led to complete disability over time. My mother had ALS, which is one of the worst f$*king illnesses on the planet (fight me). She passed away 4 years ago but I am still in support groups and of course I remember how much it sucked for my family too.

    Lately I've been wondering if it might be possible to renovate a house/apt building to be 100% ALS friendly. I mean, I know it would be possible (and expensive) but I think the bigger issue would be renting it. Is there liability if the patient or their family injured themselves using a hoyer lift or a roll in shower? Is there a way to protect against this? Is there a way to rent only to people with disabilities (and their families)?

    I'm in the US so obviously I worry about renting to the wrong litigious person. I'm sure there are liabilities I'm overlooking.

    BUT I'd really like to help these families. One of the reasons ALS sucks so much is that it slowly takes away all your freedoms and your care needs are almost constantly evolving. Remodels are expensive and time consuming-in fact often times people will finally get equipment in place only to have their person with ALS pass away shortly after it's in place. I think I would financially be able to swing this for maybe a duplex. It's something I feel pretty passionate about actually. In the utopia in my head I'd be able to create an entire complex of units for people who need them, but I think I have to start small.

    Does anyone know of any places like this or if it might be possible to do?

    ETA I'm located in NY state.

    submitted by /u/eddyloo
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice/help with where I work. We follow absolutely no COVID rules and 14 people already tested positive. (SoCal)

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 05:30 PM PST

    Hello, so my manager which is also the owner of the gym I work at refuses to enforce social distancing and wearing masks out of fear of members cancelling their memberships. 14 people already tested positive and I'm the only one that has brought up the issue to the owners. They refuse to enforce masks and have went as far as to ban wearing them because they think it will cause people to faint and die while working out. I would quit and get another job, but jobs are extremely hard to come by because I live in a small town and I would also be forfeiting unemployment. What do I do? Is there anything I can do at this point?

    Edit: I forgot to mention those 14 people tested positive since Halloween. I leave all the doors open but it seems it started to spread among the people working out. We were contacted by contact tracers in the area to notify us that people have been exposed.

    submitted by /u/Matteozzz
    [link] [comments]

    it illegal to let a black bear stay on your property?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 09:10 AM PST

    I live in michigan and we have lots of bears in my area. I have a 1 acre property and for some reason, there is a black bear and a few cubs that love staying on my property and wont leave. sometimes they had slept on my deck, or inside my shed, and also hang around my yard all day. they even sit there and watch me do yard work. only one time i was approached by the bear and it sniffed my leg then it walked away and sat down.

    if somebody noticed the bears like this and reported me to DNR, could i get in trouble?

    submitted by /u/OceanRipple
    [link] [comments]

    My homebuilder forged my signature on a warranty claim. What are my options?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 05:17 AM PST

    I submitted a warranty claim back in June 2020, before the 1 year mark had expired on our new home. We were working with the superintendent to resolve the issues, he even came out to our house to double check our list. Nothing was taken care of that day but he stated he would contact the appropriate people to come out and fix the issues. Weeks transpire with emails back and forth about working around the difficulties of COVID. Fast forward till a few days ago and I spotted his vehicle in the neighborhood. I promptly contacted the home builder about my outstanding items. They emailed me a picture of the list engendered by the superintendent with his signature at the bottom and mine right above it. They stated that: "The last warranty ticket we have on record is from August and it has your signature that all work was completed (see attachment). We have no further contact from you about any outstanding work from your August warranty claim, so I am checking to see if this is the case. Please send any outstanding claims to the address that was copied on this e mail." I never signed off on that paper obviously.I immediately responded calling them out on forging my signature and not completeing the items. After no response I called and spoke with the sender. He sounded worried and was quick to try to remidy my frustrations but asking me to submit a new form and get the ball rolling again. How should I proceed? Just get the new list completed? Or move towards the illegal aspect of the superintendent forging my signature? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/_Crawdaddy54
    [link] [comments]

    Craigslist Exchange Going South Fast: Do They Have Any Legal Leg to Stand On?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 09:54 PM PST

    Hello and thankyou for reading this (sorry if this is not the correct flair, I didn't know exactly what to put)!

    I sold an office chair for $80 on Saturday via craigslist. When Kyle (not the customer's real name) came to look at it he made no move to barter and the only question he asked was if the chair went up and down. The last time I had used it it worked, which I told him, and I offered for Kyle to test it himself. He declined to test it and paid for the chair. I offered to help load it into his car, he declined that as well. As he was loading it he came back with the base of the chair in his hand and asked if this was supposed to come off. I told him I had no clue and it probably screwed back on. I never had anything like this happen to this chair while it was in my possession. He left after that.

    An hour later he emailed me saying he couldn't get the chair to go up and down. I ignored this email. He followed up saying he wanted his money back. I told him the sale was final because the chair worked the last time I had used it (which is the God's honest truth), he had the opportunity to test it and verify before purchasing, and he possibly damaged it in the loading process/during the time it was in his possession.

    Kyle's Dad left a letter by my front door today saying that Kyle is a minor and because I took advantage of his son's age he will be "tenacious in seeking a remedy" to the situation. Two hours later he returned pounding aggressively on my door. My roommate, who was aware of the situation, answered the door and told him to leave or he would call the cops.

    Does Kyle's Dad/Kyle have any legal leg to stand on here? I mean its $80, can he even take me to court for that? Also I had no clue Kyle was a minor (he was about 6 foot and 200 pounds) until reading the letter, but does that even matter? I personally never did say the sale was final but is that necessary in a craigslist exchange? Is it not implied the sale is final once the money is exchanged? I honestly never had problems with the chair before selling it. I don't want this to become a big ordeal but I also feel I am in the right here and they are in the wrong, but is this true in a legal sense?

    Thank you for any legal feedback/advice, I really appreciate it! Also, if you have any ideas on how I should reply to Kyle's Dad I would appreciate that too. I was able to look him up and he doesn't seems like the physically aggressive type but could be a legally aggressive type.

    submitted by /u/tacosandburritosFTW
    [link] [comments]

    Mother (who I’m no longer in contact with) has been added as my parent for school and been given access to everything.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 05:08 PM PST

    [Oregon, U.S. and Minnesota, U.S]

    Edit: I am 17- senior in high school while my siblings are 15 and 13

    My mother who i haven't been in contact with since 2014 and who lives all the way in Minnesota (i live in Oregon) called my high school and requested my education records and was subsequently added as one of my parents on all my information. This means she was given access to my grade book, will receive all the texts and emails from my school and teachers, and is counted as one of my parents when she's neither my legal guardian nor parent.

    Backstory: parents got divorced in 2011. My biological mom and biological dad fought for custody over me and my siblings for years until my biological dad was awarded full custody of me and my siblings. My mom subsequently attempted to stalk me and harass me even after a restraining order (that is now expired) was obtained. She was then arrested and charged with two counts of harassment - violation of a restraining order, two counts of stalking, and two counts of violating a restraining order against minors. She went to jail and was put on probation after pleading guilty and having 4 of the 6 charges dismissed (just charged with violation of the restraining order and harassment).

    So she couldn't contact me while on probation. After it ended last december she has sent 10+ letters to me and my siblings, none of which wr have responded to. She then called my school a couple of weeks ago requesting education records. I know she is allowed to have access to them by FERPA but isn't it not okay for her to be added as my second parent and given access to everything my biological dad (my full legal parent) has access to?

    My legal question is: what can I do to have her removed from my school records and information? Is there any way to do it outside of the courts or will my school not do it since she is my biological parent even though i haven't had contact with her in almost 7 years and she lives halfway across the county.

    This is extremely traumatic and knowing that she now has this much control over me is fucking scary. I know what she's done in the past (like i mentioned, stalked, abused, etc...) and I can't let her have access to my fucking life. I just want her to leave me alone.

    submitted by /u/Extraccount-13
    [link] [comments]

    Father Not Paying Child Support (California)

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 12:42 PM PST

    My daughters father hasn't paid child support for a while. According to his income he stated, he owes $400 but I accepted $300 a month. He owes about $4,000 because he has not paid. He has several side jobs, Postmates and Pyramid Scheme Sales. None of his jobs will take money out of his paychecks for child support. A couple years ago, he won a 1.8 million dollars from a lawsuit. He also invests in Bitcoin and others. He had two new cars which he cant register because of the lack of child support pay. He just bought a new BMW and has told our daughter he will pay a car each year so he wont have to register it. He has also told our daughter he will not pay one dime of child support until she turns 18. She is 9 now. My daughter also saw that he bought a motorcycle. He also owns a house.

    There might be drugs involved. At his other house, he grew marijuana plants. I took it to court and they brushed it off. On his Facebook, he mentions the use of psychedelic mushrooms and belongs to a group that is about growing these mushrooms in the house.

    Is there anything else I can do other than wait 9 more years? Its not fair to my daughter to be brought in the middle of this, watching him buy all these things and not spend money on her. This means he does not buy her a birthday present or Christmas present. He although spends a lot on his other daughter.

    submitted by /u/DistributionDirect95
    [link] [comments]

    Nursing Home didn't process my deceased father's Medicaid. They are suing me for my deceased father's debt. Illinois

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 04:14 PM PST

    My father passed away summer 2019 after spending a year in a nursing home. I had foolishly signed as a responsible party to submit his Medicaid paperwork to the nursing home to process. The process to get my father approved was long and messy and he passed during this process, between an original denial for his medicaid and then an appeal they dragged their feet through.

    Some time after my father's passing I received the paperwork approving my father for his time spent in the nursing home. I verbally informed the nursing home of his approval and was reassured they would process it through the portal with his id, fax not necessary.

    I Later learned they had not done this and the person I spoke to forgot the whole conversation come August. They had said that it was too late to file any more appeals, despite my urging that he was approved, and them stating that they intending to wright it off. All of these conversations were by phone.

    I was processed friday with them trying to pin me for the whole debt. I am just frustrated because he was approved for medicaid, I have the approval paperwork, and now I'm scared to work with the nursing home further pending our litigation.

    Any advice whatsoever would be appreciated. I know I need a lawyer, but does anyone know if medicaid when it's approved can be processed for a deceased person over a year later?

    submitted by /u/KingsGame
    [link] [comments]

    I’m Being Harassed by a Business

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 05:22 PM PST

    Edit I am in Bellevue, Washington. This is really long I'm sorry. I'm being harassed by a small business. A week ago, I was driving through a parking lot when I approached a male walking down the middle of the road with his back to me. There wasn't enough room for me to go around him on either side, so I followed behind him (giving him plenty of room) and he still wouldn't cross to either side. I thought maybe he didn't know I was behind him so I rolled my window and yelled "can you get out of the road?" I yelled to make sure he heard me, not to be an ass. He moved over and I parked my car in front of the coffee shop I was going to. He walked to the restaurant next door and used keys to open it, so I assume he works there. I went in to the coffee store and grabbed my order and left. When I came out, this same male was not even 5 ft from my car taking pictures of it. As I approached, he raised the phone and started taking pictures of me. It made me really uncomfortable because I'm a small female and was alone. I asked him to step away from my car. He walked back toward his restaurant and watched me back out, and then came behind my car and started taking pictures again. It really scared me because there was no reason for him to be doing this. I later called the restaurant he was at and told a "manager" what happened. She went to go get the same man that took pictures of me and I didn't want to talk to him so I hung up and just decided to forget about it. Well, was I wrong. He got my number off caller ID. I did not provide it or give anyone there permission to call me. This man incessantly called me all day long while I was at work. From his business phone. I didn't answer. He called me again multiple times the next day. I finally answered the last one to ask him to stop calling me and he called me a string of names. Bitch, whore, you name it. I hung up. I thought about filing a police report but didn't want to be over dramatic. I left a bad google review and forgot about it. I didn't hear anything until today when he replied to my review again calling me names. I'm scared by the hostility of these people and scared because he has pictures of me and my car and my license plate. I haven't been back to the coffee shop because I'm scared they will see me or my car and try and hurt me. They are a local business so no corporate office. So my question is should I file a police report? Does this warrant a police report? I don't want to waste an officers time. Are there any other legal actions I can take? Thanks in advance for any advice

    submitted by /u/DoggieDo13
    [link] [comments]

    Methy neighbours!! Help!

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 08:04 PM PST

    So me and my partner have been renting a place for about 6 months and haven't noticed much of these neighbours untill now.

    Just recently we've noticed that this neighbour beeps her horn constantly whilst she sits in her drive way. She beeps for about 10 minutes straight at times to about an hour. Sometimes repetitive beeps or sometimes she just holds down the horn.

    The other thing is , she loves to play really loud music for long periods of time. She has had the police come and take a look, but they do nothing. She plays it so so loud to the point were we can just hear it loud and clear. This usually goes on from 9pm- 6am in the morning on any given day.

    But the most annoying thing she has done is she has started to fuck with my car. She puts magnets on my car or leave sticks stuck under my windscreen wipers. I managed to catch her one day and she tried having a conversation with me which only consisted of her stating that "the government is listening to our every move" "I only think the government listens to me because I shop at Coles" etc. etc.

    It's started to make me really paranoid but I don't know where I stand regarding calling the cops.

    Please help!!

    submitted by /u/Mizzlewizzletizzle
    [link] [comments]

    My grandfather is dying from neglect by his sons and daughters. I love him and I refuse to let him suffer like this

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 08:43 PM PST

    My grandfather is recovering from pneumonia (non covid-19 related) and spinal disc surgery he underwent in mid summer. He also underwent an MRI scan and lung scaring was found as a result of working with hazardous materials for decades as a mechanic. Although he is receiving medical care through follow up visits with physicians and one weekly visit from a nurse, the level of care he is receiving is not adequate at all. My maternal aunt (his daughter) has assumed responsibility for overseeing his health despite having no medical experience whatsoever. She has put me and my immediate family through hell by antagonizing us in any way possible (verbal harassment, 'accidental' pushes and shoves, and making false accusations to try and demonize us). For context, he has 7 children including my mother, whom he has pleaded to for more help, and an extended family whom he cannot see or communicate with because of the covid-19 pandemic. He is living with my grandmother, my uncle (who is diabetic and has cirrhosis due to alcoholism), parents, 2 siblings, and my sociopathic aunt in one house. I have since moved out. The constant tension, lack of space and privacy, and heartbreak from witnessing my grandfather in so pain much that he can barely verbalize a sentence. My mother is a PTA and is trying to help as much a she can. However, my aunt refuses to let her anywhere near my grandfather as she holds a tremendous and unexplained hatred towards my mother. My grandparents are afraid to speak up against her because they fear that she will act out of line, which she has on many occasions. I really do believe that at this point, she is letting him suffer and preventing anyone from stepping in because she would rather him pass away than set aside her personal grudges and play into a fantasy she has built where she is a medical expert who can magically cure him by deep frying every meal she cooks for him. Although she does not possess Power of Attorney, my uncle and 2 aunts who do have stood by idly. The rest of our family have not agreed on a solution, despite their concerns. He is weak, in pain, starving, and dehydrating from malnutrition. Pain killers are doing no good at this point, and I'm afraid he is going to die because of a family feud that has gotten out of hand. Do I have any legal right to interject? Although hospitals are currently overwhelmed, he needs around the clock care that he cannot receive from home. And if no action is taken soon, I will not have my grandfather around much longer.

    submitted by /u/Charming_Proposal845
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor found me online after I called the non emergency number on her dogs

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 07:24 PM PST

    I'm in Alabama, I've never been in a situation like this before. I've never met my new neighbors because covid and I'm a shy person. So my new neighbors have two large dogs that have been constantly breaking out of their backyard since they moved in a few months ago, I honestly didn't care what they did because I was inside and they were out there. But this weekend I had to leave the house with my baby to get some groceries that we were out of and when I was about to take my baby out, the dogs come into my yard. The German Sheppard starts to growl at me and my husband every time we walk around the car. So I go in the house to a get a broom to some form of protection just in case so we can bring our baby in the house safely. Once we did, my husband walks over to the neighbors house to let them know their dogs are out but no one answers so I call the non emergency number since animal services were closed. They ask for my info and I give it to them but just a little bit ago I receive a random friend request from a woman I didn't know but she had mutuals and I was curious on how she knew me to send me the request. Come to find out its my neighbor and her husband is a police officer and she made a big post about how I was a Karen and I should just stay indoors if I'm scared of dogs. My question is, how did she get my information and what do I need to do? I'm a already nervous person but since I've given birth the world is a lot more scary. I'm so sorry for any grammar mistakes, I'm shaking pretty hard.

    submitted by /u/Badwoflie
    [link] [comments]

    Lease shenanigans in Philadelphia: Landlord says we have a 9 month lease, we thought we had a 1 year lease, the lease actually says both....

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:08 AM PST

    My girlfriend and I just signed a "12 month" lease in Philadelphia starting November 1st. Renewal of the lease happens automatically 180 days from the termination of the lease unless we state that we are going to move out.

    A few days ago our landlord messaged me to let me know he needs to know our decision regarding renewal of the lease because the deadline is coming up, he then tells me that the lease we signed is from 11/1/20 - 7/1/21.

    So I pulled up our lease, and the actual language is this

    The term of this lease is for 1 year beginning on ___11/01/2020_, and ending on

    ___7/31/2021___

    So now I'm wondering if we're really in the position of needing to sign an additional lease committing us to this apartment and this landlord until July 2021 just a month after we moved in. Are the dates in the lease valid, or does the "The term of this lease is for 1 year" mean we have a 1 year lease?

    Our finances are a little tight and I'm not sure if we can afford a lawyer to deal with this, so any advice you're able to give us is much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Embarrassed-Sock3713
    [link] [comments]

    New Job Salary Switch After Hire

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 05:44 PM PST

    I applied for a federal government job on 9/1 which had the salary posted at $42,000. I got the job and have been enjoying it until today I got a call from HR saying that they had posted the "incorrect pay table" for the position and that the correct salary is actually $35,000. They claim that the higher pay table is reflective of the same position but in a different department. They said I was even in debt to and would have to pay back the debt unless I filed to have it waived by a committee. They said it would most likely be waived because it was not a mistake on my part, but I am still really frustrated by the huge pay cut.

    I am a student and am already living on a tight budget. I work part time so I can do school (that salary is reflective of what a full time employee makes, but the hourly rate is the same, so percentage-wise, the cut is the same). Do I have any options? Is that legal? This is a huge blow to my already precarious financial situation. I have been taking detailed notes on how the situation is evolving and have recorded all phone calls since the initial call with HR when they delivered the news. I asked to speak to a supervisor, as the woman I was speaking to was not being very helpful and am waiting to hear from them. I remained calm and friendly on the phone while still maintaining a firm position and expressing my displeasure with the unfortunate circumstances.

    I am also waiting to talk to my boss in my department who is a great guy and who I believe will advocate for me, but I figured I might seek advice nonetheless. I am not sure if I would have applied for or accepted this job had I known the pay was significantly lower than advertised.

    Edit: I live in Washington State

    submitted by /u/newjobthrowaway6969
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment