• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 6, 2020

    Legal Advice - [Texas] I took time off to get married, and now my boss is refusing to schedule me hours, stating that they want to give hours to people that “deserve” them. What are my options?

    Legal Advice - [Texas] I took time off to get married, and now my boss is refusing to schedule me hours, stating that they want to give hours to people that “deserve” them. What are my options?


    [Texas] I took time off to get married, and now my boss is refusing to schedule me hours, stating that they want to give hours to people that “deserve” them. What are my options?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 07:15 AM PST

    Right now, I cannot quit and find another job. My industry is incredibly depressed due to COVID, and I'm under contract with my current employer. I'm wondering what labor laws, if any, are being violated and how I can fight this.

    I work for a small company. I took some approved time off in the month of November- about 2.5 weeks- to get married and do all the marriage stuff. Due to a death in the family, I asked for it to be extended to 3 weeks so I could go to the funeral. I've been back at work now for a week, and I've worked exactly two days (meaning my paycheck will be $200 this next round). My schedule will have things appear on it, and then it will disappear a few hours later, having been given to someone else. My friend in scheduling tells me that he's giving everyone a normal schedule, me included, but that he'll leave and our boss will go in and change it. Every time he's asked them about it, they've told him I don't deserve the hours and they want to give it to other people who have been around. Either team members are getting 9-11 hour days to compensate for them removing items from my schedule, which they don't want either.

    I don't know what to do, and I can't figure out how if there's an labor laws being broken. It feels like retaliation. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/b7d
    [link] [comments]

    Our property manager has asked us to not flush toilet paper due to a plumbing problem. Does this count as "lack of adequate sewage disposal?"

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 07:15 PM PST

    A large plumbing problem ("rolled" pipes) was recently discovered that make the sewage line back up more easily in our house. The property manager and owner are delaying repairs (perhaps until we move out), and they have told us to not flush toilet paper (or anything else that's not human waste).

    We are in Virginia.

    To my knowledge, VA Code (§ 55-248.27) provides that it is material noncompliance by the Landlord to not promptly correct a condition that..."will constitute a serious threat to the life, health, or safety of occupants, including...lack of adequate sewage disposal..."

    Does having to discard used toilet paper in the trash constitute a lack of adequate sewage disposal in this context? Gotta say it's pretty gross. Can we tell them we'll withhold rent until the plumbing is fixed?

    Edit: typo

    submitted by /u/ten_rapid
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the legality of hiring someone with the promise of a certain hourly pay, then lowering it significantly without telling them?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 05:14 AM PST

    Illinois, US

    This isn't current, this happened a couple years ago. I'm just curious.

    Was hired at an agreed upon $20 an hour rate at my internship a few summers ago. First paycheck comes, $12.50 an hour.

    Talked to other interns (maybe a dozen total) all of them were hired at $20 and were getting paid $12.50. Emailed HR, they said something along the lines of "that number was incorrect", even though it was formally agreed upon in writing.

    I dropped it because I was more there for the work experience, and $12.50 was what I was making the summer before anyway, but I'm wondering if it was even legal for them to do that. I know some of the interns turned down other jobs that actually paid around $20, and when considering that it seems predatory to do this, even by mistake.

    submitted by /u/FolkPunkPizza
    [link] [comments]

    VA - Judge ordered mom 2 hours visitation, but she's ditching visits and lying about it. What are my options?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 06:29 PM PST

    Title pretty much explains it. She scheduled a Sunday visit, bailed, and I later found out why, because she chose to go on a weekend trip with her boyfriend instead. I'd like to try and get the order revised. How do I go about that? What do I need to file? I'm trying to do this without expensive lawyer fees. Please help me. I've had enough of this woman disappointing my daughter.

    submitted by /u/landlockedblu3s
    [link] [comments]

    Ex wife wants to toss out informal 50/50 Custody agreement, practiced for 12 months after live in boyfriend stops working.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 07:13 AM PST

    Tennessee, USA

    My ex wife and I separated in may of 2018 and divorced in 2019 under irreconcilable differences. The parenting plan in the decree was essentially 70/30 with me paying about 1200 a month, more than I could afford and still have a two bedroom in a safe neighborhood, close to my 12 year old twin boys. But I had done very well on the sale of our marital home and had savings to compensate for the monthly loss.

    At the time of our divorce she had just found a great job paying 90k a year which, after the decree, she quit almost immediately to "work at home". In December 2019 I tactfully told her that I wanted 50/50 and was prepared to litigate and impute her income. She quickly found a new job and after talking with the kids agreed to 50/50 custody, orally.

    This has gone well for us both. We've co-parent successfully and I made the move to purchase a new home in April of 2020, which is 97% complete and provides the children with a home close to their schools, their mothers house and in a great neighborhood.

    In June of 2018 my wife's new boyfriend moved to be with her. He rented a home close to her and they bought a house together in May 2020 and began living together with my two sons, his son and my mother in law.

    My sons have have both confided in me their difficulty adjusting to this so soon, but I have worked to verbally support her new relationship despite my personal feelings, and feel that now the boys are 13, going on 14 in October, it's manageable for them.

    My loan was sent to underwriting last week and noticed that the decree mention a monthly payment of 1275.00 (based on my old income levels. I have since changed jobs and make about 6k less.) I went to my wife and asked if we can move forward with getting the PP formalized in writing and she said no, that the boys having done poorly in school this past year due to Covid and that was evidence to her that going back and forth is disruptive. We live 10 mins away from each other and I manage drop off a d pick up on my days so the can stay at their regular school.

    Obviously this is huge. It prevents me from satisfying underwriting, will likely cost me 10k in earnest money, not to mention the money spent on furnishings for the boys rooms, washer dryer, refrigerator, etc. Worst part is that she wants me to start paying the child support calculated at 70/30. Doing this will force me to find a roommate situation with strangers due to cost of housing where we live or force me to move 30-45 mins away from my children.

    Yesterday the boys mentioned that her boyfriend stopped working a few weeks ago and is no longer employed, neatly fitting the time line around my wife's assertion that 50/50 isn't working in her opinion.

    This leaves me homeless as everything I own is in storage and I'm couch surfing until the projected closing on the 18th. I'm not sure where I will get money for a new rental due to the loss of earnest money and can not understand how this is in the best interest of the children.

    Having a poor understanding of the legal system, I expect people to tell me I'm screwed. But if there's any helpful perspective I welcome it.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Kubrick_66
    [link] [comments]

    I need help, what are my rights as someone who is on ECMO and intubated, but able to communicate during the pandemic. My accessible phone was taken away, my healthcare proxies can't help my communicate my needs now

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 01:58 PM PST

    • my daughter provided me with an accessible phone, I can answer calls using my face, handsfree. i can also decline calls using my face.
    • I have never attended even so much as an appointment without my daughters to help me communicate. It's not just a language thing, people just don't understand me, even when I speak English. I ended up on ECMO, because I was complaining of heart pain from 11am to 11pm, and no one believed me until my daughter jumped on a call after visiting hours during a hospital stay, and spoke for me.
    • The phone is on a gooseneck stand, attached to the hospital bed.
    • I need the phone to face me, so I facial recognition can recognize me
    • I don't require ANY help to use this phone, my family has been clear that folks can end calls and move it out of the way IF and WHEN it is in the way. IT HAS NOT BEEN IN THE WAY

    What's happening now:

    • The staff kept sedating me and restraining me because they couldn't understand me and thought I was agitated, so my daughters (who are also my healthcare proxies) started jumping on a video call with me, and helped out with communication. The nurses asked my daughters to stay on calls and even called them up, because the staff couldn't understand me. They don't stay on the calls because I end calls and indicate when I need to rest and when I don't need them
    • Now I am scared, because they have taken my accessible phone away from me, even though I require no help to use it. All I need is for my phone to be at face/eye level, so I can accept and reject calls and communicate by nodding, shaking head and blinking. THE NURSES KEEP TAKING MY DEVICE OFF THE STAND AND HIDING IT IN TOWELS.
    • I walked into the hospital talking, walking, laughing, joking with my caregivers/daughters. I am now left without damage to me Liver, Kidneys, Lungs, Heart. They punctured my lung accidentally a few days ago and don't know how. I have been developing a chest infection afterwards, its been worsening. I don't understand when I tell them my legs or at least one leg and arms need stretching because they hurt, unless my daughters tell them. They tried giving me Fentanyl for leg aches.
    • I don't want to be sedated all the time, I am scared without my family. I have not been allowed to speak to them, I tried to tell the nurses I want my phone and they won't let me have it

    What are my rights? Under the law I am classed as disabled because of my heart condition. I want my daughters to help me communicate, the hospital has banned in person visits, but now they are trying to ban my phone communication with my daughters who are my caregivers and healthcare proxies. Note: My daughter has typed out this message, I have approved every word.

    I am in Boston, MA

    submitted by /u/traineeWatermelon
    [link] [comments]

    Follow up to my neighbor is abusing her 11 year old son

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 01:08 PM PST

    Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/k73vuf/neighbor_is_abusing_11_year_old_son/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    I live in the state of California

    I updated on that original post that I called the police again last night and took another video, where you can hear the child in distress, and see where he is generally on the property, but I took the video from my property and no identifying information. I only took it to show the officers once they arrived and that's what I did, the three reporting officers didn't say anything about my video being illegal, and that it was a good idea to take the video and documenting the abuse going on next door to submit in person. The police basically didn't do anything and what they told me was, it was the kids fault for playing video games too late and "he had food and water". I filed another report with my county CPS about the abuse and left all the information I could. This afternoon, my neighbor came to our door and delivered a letter from a word document that says

    "To the neighbors of [my address]

    You can call the cops as much as you want but I DO NOT want you recording my minor child. I am asking that you delete the footage of my minor child.

    If you show this footage of my minor child to others you are invading my minor child's privacy and I will be seeking legal counsel"

    We've never posted the videos anywhere, or shared them or showed them to anyone besides the police. We're putting the videos on a flash drive to take down to the police department to submit in person. Is this letter intimidation? She has attempt to intimidate us before about being renters in our current house, that we've lived in for approaching 14 years. We've never entered her property, not even her porch or drive way, and she has twice come onto our porch to pound on our door, and deliver threatening letters.

    Is this illegal? What are our rights? Obviously we don't want to do anything to impact our tenancy, could she complain to our landlord about this and get us evicted?

    Thank you for all the help on the previous post :)

    submitted by /u/Raginghobbit203
    [link] [comments]

    [TEXAS] Landlord did an illegal lockout, belonging were stolen.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 04:41 PM PST

    Hi y'all. I'm here in Dallas, TX. I'm seeking for some advice regarding the title.

    On the last day of my lease, my landlord changed the entry lock of my apartment, while I was moving out.

    They said they thought I had completely moved out. However ...

    -I hadn't surrendered my keys at the time

    -a lot of my belongings were still there

    Then they said it's because new tenants were going to move in soon so they wanted a headstart on renovating the apartment.

    As soon as I got the new key, my gut feelings told me to check the hiding spot where I kept $1000 cash along with a letter from my late grandpa.

    The letter is very important to me, it has the information on where my grandpa was from before wwii. Who his parents were And tips on how to navigate through life as an adult. Ironically, in the letter he told me to always hide cash or gold and always be prepared for war.

    I'm trying to retrieve the letter and the money but I don't think the thief will ever come forward.

    I want to write a demand letter to the leasing office for them to return my money and letter as that's the result of their illegal lockout.

    Some facts

    -rent always paid in full and on time

    -I never abandoned the apartment (that's the narrative they are trying to push, to legitimize the lockout)

    -police report was filed

    -been calling the detectives for follow up but they are busy with other stuff

    -they said the maintenance associate only came in to change the lock, and left immediately after, did not touch anything inside the unit. But someone had clearly gone through my belonging and organized them in a corner of my apt

    Help please... I'm lost on how to handle this. Quite honestly, it's been almost a week since it happened I'm still at shock.

    submitted by /u/Best_Pineapple3254
    [link] [comments]

    Rent is paid, landlord wants to have an open house before I move out in COVID hotspot. what recourse do I have to stop this?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 02:26 PM PST

    Hi All,

    2nd time on here posting about these people. New throwaway.

    I am moving out this month and am paid until the 31st, and my landlord wants to have an open house to rent the place out for next month in a week, Which is fine, except it's an open house, all of my stuff is still here, and it's a pandemic hotspot.

    They already told me they are just going to open up my rental and leave because they don't want to be exposed to anyone, and they won't attend or look after the people so basically they are opening up my house to strangers and I have to wrangle them and be exposed to a bunch of people while hoping anything doesn't get stolen.

    It feels like they are trying to force me out before the 31st while still keeping my rent I've already paid.

    I told them I'm going to be in the middle of moving so there is going to be boxes everywhere...they don't care, even though they will be liable if someone trips on the box...

    I'm not happy about it and they don't care. Like if they waited a week all of my stuff would be out, but I'm out of town until later this month!!! This is in CA.

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/New_Shelter8099
    [link] [comments]

    Sold a car to a dealership and now we’re getting tolls and traffic violations against our name. What should we have done and what should we do now?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 05:44 PM PST

    Hello! My daughter sold her car to a dealership and we thought they would do the title transfer on our behalf. I wasn't with her as she lives in another city and might've made a mistake assuming they would follow through on their end of the bargain. Now were receiving tolls and a red light ticket. The dealership won't even return our calls all they say is I'll have a manager call us back. What should have we done to protect ourselves from this and what should we do moving forward?

    The primary assumptions are we sold our car to the dealership as a trade-in and we assumed they would transfer the title to their name. Under that assumption we canceled the insurance for the car. The car is registered in Oregon and it was sold to a dealership in Washington state.

    submitted by /u/phaNIMAnon
    [link] [comments]

    Divorce not final and pregnant with boyfriend's baby-- VA

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 07:33 AM PST

    I have been separated from my husband since February 2019. I have not seen him since that time and we have corresponded only occasionally. We have no children or property together, so I initiated a no fault divorce this summer. I did not retain a lawyer and did the paperwork myself with the help of an online service. At this point it has been filed, I have a case number with the local court, and as far as I know it's just a waiting game. I think COVID has delayed things so I really don't know how much longer it will be. He makes way more money than me and I am not asking him for anything so I don't think there's much he can do to hold things up.

    I just found out that I am, as the title says, pregnant with my boyfriend's baby. I would be due in August. I can't imagine that my divorce will not be finalized by then but I really don't know as I've never been divorced before. My husband was abusive and awful and the thought of this bringing him back into my life or delaying our divorce is very upsetting to me. Would appreciate any input. I am in Virginia.

    (FWIW, he is also a lawyer so he will be very aware of what his rights are although he doesn't practice divorce or family law.)

    submitted by /u/nemo2828
    [link] [comments]

    [Minnesota] my niece was thrown into CPS in Kansas because her mom had a mental break. How do we get her case back to Minnesota? Nobody lives in Kansas.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 10:43 AM PST

    Back story. My brother and his girlfriend took my niece to visit family in Oklahoma. During their time there my nieces mom had a mental break often due to drugs took my niece with the car and was found in Kansas. Nobody lives in Kansas. My mom the grandmother wants to take custody of my niece but not sure how to get the case here to Minnesota? This is the first time our family has had something like this happen so we aren't sure how to go about it when none of us are in Kansas. Any guidance will be very much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/mrssayler
    [link] [comments]

    Wage theft from a server.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 07:28 PM PST

    I live in Texas and I have recently started working at a restaurant that just opened as a server. Now I was told I would make minimum wage for the first week, then be switched to server wage ($2.15/hr +tips). Now I worked here two weeks before the grand opening, so one week making 7.25 and one week on server wage. In that whole time I made no tips. I am now on the end of my fourth week of work and have made barely any tips. I asked about getting my check today and my hours and was told I would be the only server working because it's been slow and I want to be the eager one making an effort to hopefully get a pay raise and upgrade to a shift leader or some type of position like that. I made the remark that I was okay working when it's not busy because I know that even if I don't make tips I still have to be reimbursed up to minimum wage if my tips don't cover my hours to that(this is how I believe it works). To this remark my manger reacted as if it was news to her that you couldn't get away with paying servers only 2.75/he no matter what. She said that I only made minimum wage the first week I worked and that even though we have been absolutely dead and I've made nearly nothing in tips the rest of the time I will only receive server wage. I replied that I don't think that's legal and that I have to be reimbursed if my tips have not covered me up to at least a minimum wage. She just brushed this off and said she doesn't know if that's true or not and walked away. So I would like to know if anyone can help me in referencing specific labor laws to her and/or what kind of recourse I will have when I get my paycheck and see that I have not been payed at least minimum wage for the hours I have worked. And as well what would I be able to do if after I bring all this up they decide to fire me for trying to ensure proper pay and that they abide by labor laws? Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Again I am in Texas for reference in case state laws are at play.

    submitted by /u/danknutsack
    [link] [comments]

    A friend’s mother’s boyfriend died and ‘left everything to (friend’s mother).’ Boyfriend’s long lost children are coming out of the woodwork

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 08:43 PM PST

    As explained in the title, my friend's mother's long term and live in boyfriend (FMB) died from complications from multiple comorbidities. My friend's mother (FM) is now dealing with random contacts from FMB's estranged adult children that were apparently specifically identified and left out of FMB's will. FM and FMB co own a house together, and FMB likely left FM some form of retirement compensation.

    This is entirely new territory here and I want to point FM in a safe direction. I am concerned that since they were not married the estranged children feel emboldened to try to contest their being left out of the will. A random stranger claiming to be a 'long lost child' of FMB showed up and berated FM asking her details about the will while being generally assertive and forward. FMB also has a living sibling who is known to not get along well with FM and would likely be looking to move against FM for personal gain.

    I have advised to FM that they get a lawyer and never speak to the estranged children or the random stranger. I have advised that they change the locks on the house and get a ring door bell as well.

    I guess the advice I am looking for is, am I justified in any of these recommendations or am I being paranoid?

    If I am justified, what other recommendations do you all have to best protect FM?

    If I am paranoid, let me know and I'll back off and stop pretending I have any idea what I'm recommending.

    (And as an aside- the random stranger thing, does that sound like the work of a PI that is possibly trying to build a case against FM?)

    Thank you all for your advice!

    submitted by /u/supersoob
    [link] [comments]

    Alcoholic father crashed going the opposite way on the interstate with his baby in the car

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 03:03 PM PST

    So I am the cousin of the child's father posting on behalf of the mother. We are in Tennessee. My cousin (the father) has escalated his alcoholic behaviors severely this year. He has already gotten a dui this year and is expressing violent behaviors to the mother and other family members. The child's grandparents allowed the baby to be alone with its father even though that was against their agreement with the child's mother. The mother, father, and grandparents had all agreed the visits should be supervised because of the fathers alcoholism. He then went on a bender while caring for his child alone. He crashed his car in one spot at 10:30 pm and was found passed out on the opposite side of the interstate at 3 am with the child in the back seat. This means that he had the baby and was driving around drunk for about 5 ours AFTER already having another accident IN A DIFFERENT COUNTY. They found his bumper at the scene of the 10:30 pm accident. Anyway, due to his increasing abusive behaviors the wife has filed for divorce five weeks ago. The lawyer knows that the father is an alcoholic and has already had 1 dui this year. The lawyer has already taken a payment of $1400 to start divorce proceedings. This was supposed to cover getting the correct documents filled and filed, and then serving the divorce papers for the husband to sign (which he has already agreed too). The lawyer has taken zero action. The mother has tried to communicate with the lawyer after the father endangered the life of the child by drinking and driving with the child in the car but the lawyer has ignored her and has not responded in any way. What can she do? Can she ask for the money back? Things need to be moving five weeks ago. The mother needs custody of her child and a divorce from this man. A simple spoken agreement cannot compel the fathers parents into supervising there visits. Luckily now the father will be in jail for 60 days minimum for child endangerment and since this is his second dui this year maybe more. How can we compel the lawyer to do the job that has already been paid for? Can she ask for her money back? What's the best course of action for getting a new lawyer who will do the work that needs to be done?

    submitted by /u/BizarreExclusive
    [link] [comments]

    Daycare won't allow kid to start on assigned date after signing contract

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 01:15 PM PST

    We have been looking for a daycare for our child. He has some reactionary behavior problems, and is in the process of being evaluated by both OT, and the local school district.

    We found a daycare for him, and signed a contract with a start date of tomorrow. There were no requirements that an IEP or OT plan be on file before he starts, and they told us that us going through the process was better than a lot of other parents.

    Today, the day before he starts, we got an email stating that he is no longer allowed to start there, because an IEP or OT plan must be on file. His appointments with both the district and OT are next week.

    This is a Montessori, and we have already ordered uniforms, and paid the deposit. Unsure of what to do here. They are not allowing to go there now until another opening comes up, which could be a while.

    I feel this is a breach of contract, but how should I proceed?

    State: MN

    Additional info: They claim that they had a "feeling that this would be in place before he started", but did not include it in the contract. The contract was then looked over by the owner of the company, and subsequently declined after it was signed by the site manager.

    submitted by /u/ultralightdude
    [link] [comments]

    Semi Truck Illegally Driving on Parkway crashed into bridge and totaled my car.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 09:04 AM PST

    I figured I'd come to you guys for help. I was driving home one night on the Hutchinson/Merit Park way in NY/CT. It is illegal for any commercial vehicle, let alone a semi truck with a cab to drive on this parkway, and there were about 5 signs posted for trucks to get off. I was behind a truck and not too far up the road he decides to not get off and continue going straight into the bridge. I hit the debris and it ended up totaling my car. I have a police report and the cops said that I would be getting full compensation from this from the truck drivers insurance. What sucks is that my car isn't worth that much money at all, and it will be a major set back to get a totaled claim, because it would definitely not be enough to get a sufficient car, and even it it isn't totaled it isn't worth fixing. What should I do? I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to maybe get a bit more compensation for this seeing that it is totally not my fault. Thank you ! Note: I have the lowest insurance I could have and my car is a 2005 Nissan Altima, blue book valued the car at a maximum of 3k, but it does have some heavy mileage (210k, I know how to make a car last haha)

    submitted by /u/HistorianFar4150
    [link] [comments]

    A user on Reddit says he has an 'unhealthy obsession' with the Columbine shooters and that he wants to 'kill people'.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 09:59 PM PST

    His username

    9th comment on his page is "I wanna kill people".

    Then here he mentions being obsessed unhealthily with the Columbine High school shooters.

    I don't know him. I Just came across one of his posts. I don't live in America. If someone that is can alert the police or fbi. It could be a dark joke, but better be safe than sorry. Most of these shootings in the past could have been stopped and there were warning signs like this that got ignored. In 2020 all threats like those two things above should at least have an officer chat with him.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SpiderMutant
    [link] [comments]

    Ex-Girlfriend is falsely accusing me of spreading her nudes to other people (Revenge Porn).

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 08:22 AM PST

    edit: This is in Texas

    About a year ago I ended things with my ex girlfriend. It didn't end well to say the least and she harbors a lot of resentment for me.

    One of her favorite things to do is spread harmful rumors about me to others that are completely untrue/baseless. Just today my current girlfriend received a direct message from one of my ex's friends accusing me of revenge porn.

    Someone took screenshots of her publicly announcing this on her Facebook, and despite her admitting in those screenshots that she doesn't have proof, is rallying an angry mob of e-support.

    The thing is, NONE of this is true. I never retained any scandalous pictures of her in any form, especially not after we broke up. This is starting to ruin my current relationship and I know that since the laws have become very severe regarding revenge-porn I'd like to know what actions I can take to get her to stop this slander. It's an allegation I take extremely serious and I just want it to stop already.

    submitted by /u/ScalpelTiger
    [link] [comments]

    Looked at my credit report and found out my dad opened several credit cards with my name putting my debt into thousands without my consent or knowledge

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 02:12 PM PST

    [Minnesota] I looked at my credit report recently and found out that I have several credit card accounts under my name with thousands of dollars of debt. Found out my dad had opened accounts and added me in his accounts which effects my credit score and my credit history.

    These date back to when I was 15 y/o or so. My dad and I don't have a good relationship and he has always been bad with money as an addictive gambler and has always been in several thousand dollars of debt. We don't talk much since my parents are divorced and I live with my mother.

    Is there anything I can do to get my name off of the accounts and off of my credit history without having to speak to him?

    submitted by /u/haolnegx
    [link] [comments]

    I got fired for disclosing my girlfriend’s disability to my employer.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 03:05 PM PST

    [Florida] Some background information; both me and my girlfriend have worked in the same restaurant for a bit now. I work in the back as a cook and she works up front as a waitress. The restaurant we work in is a high-end bar next to the beach. I am on all of my girlfriends medical documents, I couldn't tell you which because I personally have no idea what that stuff is called. But I'm on them!

    Let's talk about the situation now. About two weeks back my girlfriend was unable to goto work because of her disability. I asked her if she called in and she told me she hasn't told them of her disability yet and asked for me to tell them because she was unable to talk on the phone at the moment. So I drove to work and asked to speak with my general manager privately and we talked about how she wasn't able to goto work because of her disability. My manager was really chill about it and told me she understood everything and we talked about how she could improve on letting my manager know these things because they're important.

    Fast forward to today. I got fired. My manager says the reason is because I violated HIPAA and I could be sued because of it. My girlfriend is in a rage at the moment and is putting her two weeks in.

    I just want to know if I was in the wrong enough to get fired about violating my girlfriends privacy by disclosing her PHI. I am frantically looking to find a job now because of the holidays and am currently working my doordash job trying to make up some money.

    Edit: I am now even more confused. My manager is saying I violated her privacy rights and that is the reason.

    submitted by /u/PotatoCrest
    [link] [comments]

    Am I liable if someone gets hurt in my driveway?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 09:25 AM PST

    We recently moved to a new city, and this house had sat empty for about a year before we bought it. When we moved in we noticed the neighbor kids from a few houses down will use our driveway for bicycles and roller skating a couple times a week. Their own driveway is always full of cars, but we park our cars in the garage so it's usually pretty open. They basically ride down the sidewalk toward our house and then use our driveway as their turn-around spot, but sometimes they just hang around and skate/ride long here in the driveway. I don't have a big issue with it, but what if they fall and get hurt on my property? Would I be liable? I haven't spoken to them at all as I've just seen their playtime from the front window, so I haven't given them permission to be there but I also haven't told them to leave. I don't want to have to shoo them away but I also don't want to get caught with a bill. My first thought was to let them play at their own risk, then play dumb if someone got hurt saying I didn't know they used the driveway and therefore were trespassing, but I don't know if that works.

    Edit to add I live in Nebraska, U.S.

    submitted by /u/Pepperilla
    [link] [comments]

    Translated an old game, and company stole my translations; issued C&D

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 03:26 PM PST

    Location: New York

    A few years ago I worked on translating an old game as a hobby project with my brother. It did not have an English translation before, and was never launched in the American market.

    The company who initially launched the game has released a remastered version of their game on mobile devices, now including the US market.

    I received a C&D for distributing the modified files on my website, and have since taken down the download.

    I genuinely enjoy the game, so I downloaded the mobile version, and started playing through it. The English translations are identical to my hobby project, including awkward translations that didn't really translate perfectly, and some creative liberty while translating.

    It is very, very unlikely it is a coincidence.

    While I agreed to stop sharing the game, they stole my translations. Do I own the translations, or do they?

    Remastered game is released by a US based publisher.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/throwaway98838
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment