• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 22, 2020

    Legal Advice - My brother and I (24M/26M) have a pretty rad stepdad who raised us both from babies. How would we start the adoption process to legally get him as our dad? Virginia

    Legal Advice - My brother and I (24M/26M) have a pretty rad stepdad who raised us both from babies. How would we start the adoption process to legally get him as our dad? Virginia


    My brother and I (24M/26M) have a pretty rad stepdad who raised us both from babies. How would we start the adoption process to legally get him as our dad? Virginia

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    I'm not sure this is the best place to ask, but /r/relationships or /r/advice didn't seem like the best places either. My stepdad (48M) has been there since we were born. Our real dad skipped out right after my younger brother was born. We want to show our appreciation for everything he's done by surprising him with adoption papers. What would we have to do/know to get this started?

    submitted by /u/I_dont-get_the-joke
    [link] [comments]

    Doctor didn’t remove hardware after surgery, explained mistake after statute of limitations ran out

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    I broke my ankle as a preteen in April 2009 and had surgery to get a "pin" in my ankle (looks more like a long screw). Recovery was fine, and the stitches were the dissolving kind, so I didn't need to get them removed. I followed up with the doctor who arranged the whole surgery about 8 weeks later to take the cast off and was told to wear a boot for a while, then I was good to go.

    Fast forward a few years and I have chronic aches in my ankle, particularly on humid days. I figured this may be arthritis, as he'd warned if I didn't have the surgery that arthritis could be a result of it going untreated. After a few years of on-and-off chronic pain, I went back to him in 2019 to see if I had arthritis.

    An assistant took me to his exam room, had me do an X-ray, and he came in to take a look with his young assistant. It was obvious he was trying to impress her - he kept trying to crack jokes while I was obviously concerned about potentially having arthritis in my early twenties. He takes one look at the X-ray and goes, "oh, you still have the pin in your ankle?" And I hesitated, with a bewildered "Yes?" He then says, "Oh, we should've taken that out!" and then LAUGHS and gives his assistant a look of "Whoopsies!" He tells me I can choose to live with the on-and-off pain or choose to have outpatient surgery to remove the screw.

    I say fuck this, he has absolutely no bedside manner, and I leave in shock. Then I'm billed $500 for the visit.

    I just went to another doctor yesterday for another opinion, and he took another X-ray. Immediately he said that he HIGHLY advises I get the screw removed, as metals in the body are magnets for bacteria, especially if I ever needed to have dental work done. And since I'm well under 50, he thinks it should be easy and quick.

    I'm so infuriated with the absentmindedness and callousness of my first doctor. He never scheduled a follow up surgery to remove the screw - meaning not once in the 2+ months of treatment did he consider I needed this removed. I want to sue him for malpractice, but this happened in New Jersey, where the statute of limitations is "any personal injury lawsuit, including a medical malpractice action, must be filed within two years of the date the 'cause of action' accrued." Since he didn't even inform me of his mistake until last year, would this be an exception?

    For more context, I checked his ratings today, and he has quite a few unhappy patients with other mistakes he's made.

    Please let me know if there are any alternative legal actions I can take as well. TIA

    submitted by /u/melanie_rblatt
    [link] [comments]

    [PA] My roommate sold my parrot while I was away

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    I had to go out of state for a family emergency and left my scarlet macaw at home. My roommate had agreed to look after her. I was gone for two weeks and when I came back she was gone. My roommate told me he sold her because he needed money. He won't tell me who he sold her to. He has offered to get me a cat from a shelter but I want my bird. What can I do?

    submitted by /u/wheresmybird
    [link] [comments]

    My brother has gotten my husband and I mixed into a bunch of illegal crap. Please read and offer any advice.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    This situation is slightly complicated but I hope I explained it enough. Sorry if this is coming off as a rant but If you can offer any advice, I'd appreciate it.

    My deceased mother has a two-family home. My brother and his family live in apartment 125 (not real APT #) and I live in apartment 127 with my family. About 2 months ago, The DEA and PD raided MY apartment and put my family (husband, 2 daughters) in cuffs immediately. We asked WTF this was about and all they said was "wait for the detective and he'll explain everything." The officers THOROUGHLY searched us, we had photos taken of us and our SSN recorded. They had a search and seizure warrant for my apartment but, not my brother's apartment.

    They made us leave and they messed up my apartment…mattresses flipped, clothes dumped all over, food out of cabinets, etc. They seized my husband's LTC (license to carry) card and ALL of his legal firearms. So, they arrested my brother for crimes related to illegal operations (I believe "conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute class A").

    An affidavit that was released the same day detailed that the DEA and PD have been doing a 20-month investigation on my brother. My husband and I had no parts of any illegal operations and weren't even mentioned in that affidavit. The DEA barely even touched his apartment and his wife (even though her name was mentioned in the affidavit) and kids weren't even cuffed which I thought was weird.

    Fast forward to now, the DEA and PD are still strongly claiming that my brother ran his drug operation out of MY apartment. They are even going as far as to claim that my husband legally acquired guns to supply to my brother and have threatened to charge my husband. And this is where I am confused, angry, sad, and why I need advice. Wouldn't a 20-month investigation of surveillance, wiretapping, etc. show that my brother doesn't live in my apartment and that we had no parts of this?

    My husband has been a legal gun collector for at least 10 years, long before we even lived at that house. We didn't originally get a lawyer because the police and DEA seemed to be "understanding" of a possible mix-up and that my husband should be able to easily appeal to get his firearms back but now it's a different story. How can we clear our name and get my husband's guns back? Will we even be able to? Is this something we can handle on our own? If we get a lawyer, what type (civil, criminal,etc.) should we get?

    submitted by /u/b_remm
    [link] [comments]

    [Washington] Reported my front license plate stolen and then cops came and took the back one as well, leaving my vehicle inoperable.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    I got home from work yesterday and noticed the front plate missing, I live in a sketchy area so figured it was best to be safe about the situation and report it stolen. The police arrived and took down my info and then removed my back plate and took that as well, leaving me with a card and case number. At the time he said I would just need to go to the DMV and they would sort it out, but I've called the DMV and they have told me I need the Title. The vehicle is in my brothers name (Lives out of state) and the title is nowhere to be found. With COVID going on and the USPS taking a shit, I figure him mailing me the required documents (with notarized signatures) could take way too long. . What steps do I take to be able to drive my car to work on Monday?

    submitted by /u/throwra65353165
    [link] [comments]

    Connecticut towing company won't release car

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:23 AM PDT

    I just moved to a new apartment within Connecticut (Windham County) and last night I accidentally parked in front of my neighbor's very small driveway that goes around to where they park. My neighbor called a towing company that towed my car to their lot across town. I understand that up until this point they were perfectly within the bounds of the law.

    However, when I called the towing company this morning (a Saturday), they said that while they tow 24/7 they can't release my car until Monday. They will charge storage fees until I can get my car released. I know that this is illegal in some states, but I couldn't find anything specific to Connecticut. Is it legal in Connecticut for a towing service to not release a car when the owner can and will pay?

    submitted by /u/biobiothrow
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord’s soon-to-be ex-wife trying time evict my family three months early because she needs a place to live.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 04:20 AM PDT

    I live in Mississippi. My landlord is getting a divorce, and since his wife swears she has no place to live, she is demanding we leave our home. Originally she only demanded we pay her the rent instead of her husband, but now she wants us out.

    She is on the deed, along with her husband, but she is not on the lease. Even if she was, she has not gone through any of the proper channels; no written notice, no suit for eviction, etc. - just a bunch of threatening text messages.

    My question is whether or not their not-final divorce, or her alleged homelessness, gives her any special rights to the home that I'm not aware of. I want to make sure she can't just show up with the cops one day and put my family out right then and there. I have five kids and no place to go myself (though we are in the process of buying a home due to this crazy situation).

    submitted by /u/GnarlyNerd
    [link] [comments]

    Brother critically injured on the job, I was recently contact by OSHA then a second insurance company. Advice needed. (MA)

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    Hi all. I really need some advice. Last year, my younger brother (31) was critically injured on the job. He stepped out on some scaffolding that witnesses say crumbled like paper. He fell 30 feet to the concrete below with the scaffolding coming down on top of him. His injuries were catastrophic. He broke his neck, had a traumatic brain injury, traumatic cardiac arrest (he was dead for eight minutes) broke his clavicle, multiple ribs, femur, tib-fib and has multiple lacerations and contusions. He was life-flighted to the nearest level one trauma center. He was in the ICU for three months and had three surgeries. We were told he may never walk, talk or be able to take care of himself again.

    He went from the ICU to a long-term rehab. He defied everyone. In eight months he has relearned to walk, talk, do all his own ADL's and every single day is improving. He will be discharged this coming Monday with outpatient care for occupational and physical therapy, some speech language pathology and with his neurosurgeon and PCP. He is not at a medical end result and everyone on his care team is uncertain how far he may actually progress. There is a chance he could go back to his same type of work as much as there is a chance he may not. He will be living with me for a while.

    During this time I had brief contact with his bosses who were exceptional. They took care of filing his worker's compensation claim (or however that works) and contacted OSHA to do an investigation. Since his accident last year, he has received checks bi-weekly that seem like a good portion of what he had been making and all of his hospital and rehab bills have been paid to date (over 1 million dollars.) His checks were direct deposited in to his savings account and every cent is there for his discharge.

    This is where things get dicey. On Monday, an OSHA investigator contacted me indicating that he had completed his report and was submitting his findings. He wanted to let me know that his report found the scaffolding company (separate from my brothers job) to be completely at fault. The scaffolding was not installed or maintained properly, certifying documents had been falsified and employee safety training documents were also falsified. There were findings of employee alcohol intoxication on the job without reprimand or termination. He said the report was in the mail and in an off-hand way mentioned if I had not gotten an attorney for my brother, I should as soon as possible. The week was crazy with getting my home prepared for my brother being discharged, setting up appointments and I also work a full time job.

    On Friday I received a call from a woman who called herself an adjuster for an insurance company that represents the scaffolding company. She said she would like to speak with myself and my brother and discuss settling things quickly so my brother can focus on recovery and we don't need to waste time with the courts. She threw out a number (seven figures) and asked that I call her by Monday next week or the offer is rescinded. She then called again this morning and said she had "wiggle room" to offer a bit more but to please call.

    I'm at a loss. I work in excess of 60 hours a week in medicine, I take care of my brother the remaining time and coordinating everything that's been needed to get him home has been exhausting. I thought maybe I should speak with a lawyer but everything on google said their offices are closed on Saturday's.

    If he accepts this settlement what happens with his worker's compensation? If the scaffolding company and not his job is at fault, then wouldn't they want their money back? His job has paid for everything and it doesn't sound like they should have. If he's not at a medical end result, how is it determined that he receives x amount of dollars if that makes sense. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/SouthFaithlessness88
    [link] [comments]

    This tow truck just sits in a big commercial parking lot and waits for a very long time to tow a car?illinois

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:45 PM PDT

    Hello (F/18) I work at a restaurant and one shift I was closing my grill guy discovered that his car was gone. He called the police to file a report but it turned out that it had actually gotten towed.

    All of us were angry because there was no reason for it to have gotten towed. All of us literally work here.

    Unfortunately he still had to pay the towing company to get his car back. The reasoning they had was because "customer complained" or whatever.

    We thought it was all set and done but for the past weeks our store has gotten calls from customers complaining that their car got towed but there isn't anything we can do about it. At first my boss thought it was the chase bank that was calling the towing company because they don't have a lot of parking spaces on their end. The Starbucks next to my store hasnt been calling them either.

    But the truck just sits there and waits for a car to be the last one in the parking lot. But obviously that doesn't give them a right because they aren't overstaying because it could be a customer or an employee. Is there anything that we can do?

    submitted by /u/icerock547
    [link] [comments]

    Just got served court papers from HOA - but they didn’t cash checks we hand delivered to them?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 01:58 PM PDT

    Hi reddit,

    Thought I'd post here bc I'm freaking out a little.

    Background - we owed some HOA dues and got on a payment plan through their lawyers. We owed our back payments plus legal fees and have been paying them off (plus the current months HOA dues) and have been delivering them directly to the lawyer's office as they asked.

    We haven't had many issues but recently they held on to two checks for 30+ days and didn't cash them. I (stupidly) thought they had and I moved some money around. Of course they tried to cash them shortly after and one bounced. We received a letter from them accusing us of fraud and saying that we had 10 days to give them a certified check. So I go to my bank and get 2 certified checks - one to make up the check that bounced plus fees, the other for the regular payment that just happened to be due for that month. I figured I'd just give them certified checks from now on so it wouldn't be an issue.

    Well fast forward to today, I'm literally leaving my house to go get a certified check for what I thought would be our final payment, and I'm served with court documents. In the documents, they do not list the 2 certified checks as money received (which totaled to over $1,400).

    So my question is - should I call them and ask what they did with the two checks?? The court papers don't show we ever paid them that money and so the amount they're suing us over is incorrect. I'm trying to get a hold of my bank to see if they can tell me if they were cashed. I just don't see how they can file legal papers with incorrect amounts on them after taking my money???

    submitted by /u/pineapples1994
    [link] [comments]

    What should I do?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    I'm a senior in college and a couple of months ago I lost my drivers license at a bar near my school. I have recently found out that a girl has been using it to get into said bar. One of my friends bartends there and recognized my ID right away, unfortunately she is not really the confrontational type so she didn't take it away. She did however show me the girl's facebook so I know what she looks like and could possibly recognize her in a group of people. I also spoke to the boss and requested that he please confiscate my ID the next time she tries to use it, he said he would but he didn't really seem too interested or like he cared at all, so I don't really know if I'll have any luck with him. Is there anyway I could handle this without making a scene at a bar or if I do find her and decide to confront her what if she lies/refuses to give it back? I'm really at a loss of what to do and don't really feel comfortable that an underaged girl is using my identity to get into a bar! Thanks in advance!

    Also want to add that I have received a new ID since then!

    submitted by /u/alaia19981
    [link] [comments]

    Artist rights regarding plans for a mural being used by another artist for the client who wouldn't pay my pricing. Slightly a hypothetical situation, but is most likely going to happen.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    -Humble Texas/north of Houston- I'm pretty sure I'm clear and golden to take action if this happens but here's the situation; 1. Without pay, without contract, literally only a loose discussion took place to come up with the idea that I would paint a mural (a stylized thematic version of the cities name, like the letters are custom, as is the content within the letters; extremely unique) on a business wall. 2. I offered a quote, to which I was decalred "f#$_ing crazy" for asking the amount I asked. 3. I offered my design on social media for local businesses to purchase at the same price I quoted the original business. 4.i was contacted by the original business and told to take the post down or indicate that they had purchased the mural (they don't want anyone else to have it. 5. I refused as there was no purchase, nor was there a documented attempt to purchase my art and time. This is where I want to be sure of my position 6. The business has a amateur artist on payroll for non art related stuff, he is an employee and just happens to also make art I am certain that this business will attempt to pay him in "exposure" to paint my art on their wall.

    Question is; assuming this does happen, can I sue them to paint over the mural? Or for damages as I am known in the area and the public will assume that I did the mural, and I do not want that. I'm open to all suggestions and thoughts on the matter, thank you!

    submitted by /u/jakestucker
    [link] [comments]

    [PENNSYLVANIA] A security agent hired through a private company, was harassing me during the overnight shift.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 09:38 PM PDT

    We hired a security guard to help me with the overnight shift as I'm usually alone. First and only shift working with him, it was very clear when he came in that he was high. Throughout the night things got progressively worse for me. Touched me at least three times, started calling me baby, asked me for my phone number/social media, questioned how I was going to report his performance. He was a lot bigger and a lot taller than me to the point where I felt unsafe. I texted my manager throughout the night, and even listed all of the things he did when he left, and I'm 99% sure I have him touching me on camera.

    Are there any ways I can address this?

    submitted by /u/kayelloh
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be wasting my time to draft a "letter of consent"?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    I really don't know how else to explain what I'm trying to draft, so here's the situation:

    I'm (31F) infertile, but not sterile. I also have a load of genetic abnormalities that would not only make pregnancy life-threatening for both me and the fetus, but that I would never want to risk passing on to any human being ever. I decided at 21 that I wanted my tubal ligation to eliminate any and all possibility of becoming pregnant. In the ten years since, I have not wavered on this decision.

    For the past three or four years, I've been asking my OBGYN about it. Apparently there are loads of rules surrounding tubal ligation for a young woman who's never been pregnant. I was willing to try the IUD, but I had a horrific reaction to it, so that's a no go. I asked again this year and she said to wait until I'm seeing someone (forgetting/ignoring that I've told her I'm a lesbian).

    I learned a few days ago that apparently women in similar positions to mine get tubal ligation and then turn around and sue the doctor because they "changed their minds." My idea was to draft a document that states that I want the surgery, the reasons why, and that I'm not going back on this decision. Signed and dated with witnesses, ofc. Is there a term for this type of document? Is this something I would need a lawyer to draft up or is there a legalese template I can follow? More importantly, would this even work/count for anything?

    Location: New Jersey. I'm going to do a little research on my own, but I would value opinions from real people and not the Google machine. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/sonicscrewery
    [link] [comments]

    My crazy, drug fueled neighbors got evicted and they left their two cats behind. Is there anything I can do?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 04:24 PM PDT

    I don't know if this is the right sub to post this but, I'm worried about possible legal repercussions. My crazy neighbors recently got arrested from their house. They had been evicted and now the bank own's the property. We recently noticed that they left their two cats at the property.

    I feel bad since they're definitely not being taken care of. Is there anything I can do for them or anyone that I can call? I'm tempted to just go over and give them temporary shelter, but I don't know if that's okay. I'd appreciate any advice or anyone I could call.

    Thanks

    Edit: in Pennsylvania

    submitted by /u/SorenCelerity
    [link] [comments]

    Breeder thinks my snakes babies are his, are they? (IL)

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    I recently bought a very expensive boa constrictor. The previous owner (D) had tried to breed her for three seasons (including this one) but she failed to get pregnant. I bought the snake from him for 3k a two and a half months ago and to my surprise, she gave birth last week.

    The babies are from a pairing with a snake that belongs to D and he failed to realize that she was pregnant when he sold her to me. D says that the babies are his because his snake is the father and if he had realized she was pregnant he never would have sold her. I told him that we never discussed anything like that in the sale and I'm not going to just give up the babies to him because he didn't do his due diligence.

    D is threatening to call the cops on me for theft and take me to court. The babies could easily sell for 3k each so I understand why he is being so aggressive about this but from my point of view, I bought the snake and never signed anything about diving up a possible litter because I am not a breeder, I just thought I was getting a single snake. I have the receipt for the sale and that's it. I also bought the snake here in Illinois but D lives out of state. So my questions are:

    1. Does Dave have any legal claim to the litter?
    2. Do I need a lawyer for this?
    submitted by /u/somoshomos
    [link] [comments]

    Wisconsin, USA Unlawful Entry or Abandoned?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    On mobile, newish to posting, etc.

    Tl;dr at bottom.

    In 2017/2018 I started renting an apartment in Wisconsin, USA. This was my primary residence until June of this year. My lease was due to end Aug 31. I moved most of my belongings in mid June, but not all of it. I have stopped by my apartment once every week to once every other week since moving to my current residence to clean/pick up more of my belongings.

    Last time I was there was either Aug 8 or 11th. When there, I thought some of my belongings were in different places than I remembered leaving them, but chalked it up to a faulty memory.

    On Aug 22nd, my husband and I returned to the apartment to finish cleaning before turning in my keys. When we arrived, we found the place completely untenantable. All carpets and flooring were pulled up, all appliances taken out, all cabinetry removed and gone, no sinks or toilets in the bathrooms, no tub, no kitchen sink. Sawdust covered the entire apartment. And there were a couple of guys in the middle of removing the items out of the apartment. Half of my stuff still left in the apartment were in their trash bin, the other half moved to one of the only shelves left in the apartment, clearly waiting to be thrown out.

    No notice had been given at any point of entry, and I've never been late on rent in the 2-3 years living there. This was a year-to-year lease, and I have a text message from June from the manager saying lease would be up on Aug 31st. Utilities are still under my name.

    At this point, to me, it looks like unlawful entry with no notice, untenantable conditions of a rented residency on behalf of the renter, and unlawful break in lease. The only info I can find about abandoned tenancy is if the renter is more than 15 days late on rent and no contact can be made with the tenant, then the renter can legally consider property left behind as abandoned. I cant find any other information regarding how to determine if a rented apartment is considered abandoned.

    I've emailed the state's bar association about any help they can provide, since if taken to court, this would probably be considered small claims and I'd be representing myself. What other legal advice do people have, and how do I proceed in getting reimbursed for last month's rent and my deposit?

    Tl;dr: lived in apartment for 2-3 years, never late on rent. Lease due to end Aug 31, 2020. Moved most of my possessions mid June, but not all. Have gone to apartment once every week or 2 to clean. Last there Aug 8/11th, noticed some of my things moved. Went there Aug 22nd, guys literally in the middle of completely dismantling my apartment. No notice of entry given. Unlawful entry/untenantable residency, or is it lawfully considered abandoned?

    submitted by /u/Rothiamuc
    [link] [comments]

    Bought what we were told was a certified French Bulldog. DNA test results show she is actually a Boston Terrior

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 05:23 AM PDT

    As the title states we bought what we were told, with paperwork and assertive documents, a French bulldog. After she grew out we noticed her stature is significantly different than that of a frenchie. We decided to get a DNA test and turns out she is actually Boston terrier.

    Is there anything we can do to get some or all of money back from facility we purchased her from, and the breeder?

    Are there any grounds for small claims court, given the amount of money paid?

    Details on the money are that we bought a loan from the storefront which sells puppies, who buy them direct from breeders and resell them. We had a loan through Mariner Finance, which has been paid off on full and the account closed.

    Edits: We love our dog and getting rid of her isn't something we're interested in.

    We are in VA, USA.

    Edit 2: The dog is AKC registered and she came with paperwork stating such, including the dam and the sire. But lineage going back farther than her direct parents are behind a pay wall from the AKC.

    submitted by /u/dadsmeatwagon
    [link] [comments]

    My elder father beat unconscious by 3 people, police make no arrests

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 01:51 PM PDT

    Hello,

    Thank you ahead of time for any guidance. To give context, my sister has a 4 yo daughter. The scumbag baby daddy (BD) was abusive (video exists of him hitting and choking my sister while yelling that he'll kill her). He threatened her life if she reported it and she didn't report it to police for over 3 years and then they said it was out of statute of limitations.

    custody has been a nightmare and he is often breaking their agreed upon rules. Recently, they were scheduled to exchange my niece. 2 minutes before the agreed upon time he texts saying he has a flat and can't exchange, my sister says she will meet him wherever to grab my niece, he waits twenty minutes and texts back no, they'll exchange another day, my sister says no and keeps trying to get a hold of him.

    at the advice of my sisters lawyer, my dad (Mid 60s) goes over to the baby daddy's place. he is sure to not go on their property, stay calm, and tries to record everything, per lawyers advice.

    soon after my dad gets there, the baby daddy, his gf and his dad arrive with my niece. My dad calmly explains he's there to facilitate the exchange of my niece. My niece runs up to my dad (her beloved grandpa) on the street unprovoked and grabs him to be picked up For a hug.

    the baby daddy, his gf, and his father forcibly grab my niece away from my father, and then beat him in the street until he's unconscious and the three of them are holding him down choking him (knees/leg on his neck). At one point bd's gf, and bd's father were holding my dad down, bd started to walk away, then walked back to my pinned down father to kick him more In the groin.

    during this, they stole his phone and tried to delete the recordings he was taking. They deleted most And wouldn't give him his phone back for a time. So now he just has a couple audio clips that show he wasn't aggressive in the beginning, but nothing that shows the altercation begin.

    two separate neighbors saw some (the end) of the incident, and both said my dad was not the aggressor. One took a video at the end, that shows when bd walks away, then walks back to my pinned down father to kick him more.

    police showed up. At this point I should mention bd's family is wealthy and in local real estate and think they're swinging dicks in their town (st Charles, mo). They have often threatened that they can do whatever they want and use the court system as they please.

    the officer took witness statements from the two neighbors who saw the end of it. However, they did not arrest bd, bd's gf or bd's father since those three said my dad was the attacker, and my dad said they were the attacker, so it was "he said, she said".

    my dad has retained a personal injury lawyer. I just want to make sure we're doing everything we can. So far they are pressing charges against bd's father and bd's gf, but not bd because we are currently in a custody case against him.

    questions:

    if there's a video of bd's gf and bd's father pinning my dad down on the street (after previously beating the shit out of him), and then we see bd walking away, walking back, and kicking my dad more while he's still restrained, isnt that clear cut assault/battery And elder abuse? Shouldn't that video alone be enough for police to arrest bd? And if so, should my dad go back to the police station with the video and ask them to make an arrest, and if they refuse file a complaint against the police? To me it is extremely alarming that they wouldn't make an arrest.

    any other advice is grearly appreciated. Such as, should we mail all the neighbors a letter and ask if anyone else witnessed it?

    thank you truly for anyone that has any advice

    submitted by /u/Throwaway2020helpme
    [link] [comments]

    [Indiana] My Father's (55M) Pensions are set as a Single Life Annuity in my Mother's (50F) divorce

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 03:57 PM PDT

    The Divorce Lawyer recently tallied up my parents cumulative assets, pretty much just my father's job benefits, and found that he carried 98% of their marital assets. My mother was ecstatic to hear that he had agreed to part with one of his larger pensions which would close that gap in its entirety,

    -that was until she discovered that he had the pensions set as a Single Life Annuity and that they still wouldn't be in her name, meaning she wouldn't draw from them until he had retired. This wouldn't be so much a problem if it weren't for my father's failing health and his inability to take care of himself through his many years as an alcoholic. She's worried she won't see a penny of it and that she'll have to work every day of her life, and it has me pretty stressed out considering she was a stay-at-home mother throughout me & my younger brother's youth. We haven't completely settled on the agreement yet.

    This is our lawyers first time dealing w/ pensions, at least that's what she said to an investigator we hired, so I don't entirely trust her when it comes to how any of this is handled.

    Is there any way we can sign the pension over to my mom or change it to a Joint Survivor considering that she will be getting the entirety of that pension?

    If not, are there any avenues she can take to protect herself considering she got royally fucked over by her husband?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this!

    submitted by /u/Roftastic
    [link] [comments]

    Executor will not provide copy of will

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 02:09 PM PDT

    My father (who lived in the state of Delaware) passed away in December 2019 and my brother was named executor of his will. My brother will not share any information with me regarding the will, although I was able to finally get him to admit that I am a beneficiary in the will, as are my children. I realize that things take time within the legal process but due to his lack of transparency I am uncomfortable with not having any details. He ignores my requests for a copy of the will and it is not on file with the Register of Wills in their county. I live across the country so I'm feeling as though my hands are tied. I truly do not want to cause animosity but I'm to the point of wondering what my legal rights are. Am I able to petition the courts on my own to get a copy or do I have to get an attorney to do this? If I have to get an attorney, do I get one local to me or do I need a long distance one from the state where my father lived?

    submitted by /u/straightshooter5
    [link] [comments]

    I have information that disproves a statement provided in wrongful termination suit against the company I am currently employed by. The plaintiff lost but I believe that had the correct information been disclosed, it could have changed the outcome of the lawsuit. Is there anything I can do?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 03:44 PM PDT

    I randomly learned of this case a few days ago when it showed up as a result for a non related Google search. I wasn't actively searching for cases against my employer and I did not know about this case until I found it on line. I do not know the plaintiff but I do know the Manager that gave the deposition and the Manager who was being discussed in the deposition due to a "paint usage incident" that directly involved me.

    To facilitate telling this story, I am going to use the following fictitious names "Bill" for the Manager giving the deposition and "Bob" for the Manager being discussed in the deposition.

    Both the plaintiff and Bob are HR Managers, at the same pay level, at different manufacturing sites that make the same product for my company. Each HR Manager reports to the Plant Manager(PM) of their respective site and both PMs report to Bill.

    In the deposition, Bill claims that neither dishonesty nor integrity were issued in the "paint usage incident" involving Bob when in fact they were at the very heart of the matter. This incident involved the usage of a paint that was not approved for use on my site and was not compliant to use per State and local air quality regulations.

    A few months before the incident, Bob sent me an email informing me that he wanted to use a speciality paint and that he would work with our on-site painting vendor to have it approved. I replied by forwarding the approval form and informing him that I would specifically need detailed information about the VOC (volitile organic compound) content. A few months later, I noticed a small test patch of paint on a wall and as I was the only person at my site authorized to approve paint and coatings for use, I knew it wasn't approved. I went to Bob's office to let him know that the paint had not been approved yet and that it was a violation of our internal policy to have it onsite. We chalked it up to a minor miscommunication between him and the vendor and he said he would complete the forms and get me the information I needed ASAP. After a few days of prodding by me, he finally sends me what I need and I start the approval process. Based on everything he gave me, along with additional information I was able to get by reaching out to the paint manufacturer, I determined that the paint was not compliant for use. I sent out a detailed email to him and per procedure, the whole Chemical Approval/Change Management Team on why it couldn't be approved and what would be needed to get it approved and also that any further use of the paint was a violation of our Title V permit and would likely result in an NOV and fine by the local air district. I sent this note on a Thursday and I had the next day scheduled off as a vacation day.

    Here is where the dishonesty and lack of integrity issues come in, btw, all of this is verified true and documented in the Ethics Office Investigation. On Friday, he tells the paint vendor that he got approval to use it and issues a work order authorizing OT so they can apply the paint over the weekend. On Monday when I come in and find the job was done, I demanded an internal investigation called an MCA (Multi-cause Analysis). MCA are suppose to be done within 24 hours of an incident and are suppose to include all involved parties. It took over a week for the MCA to be done and I was not invited to be a participant despite obviously being an involved party. The "root cause" discovered via the MCA was that Bob didn't know there was an approval process for paints. This was an obvious and blatant lie given the email thread he initiated several months earlier. After the Ethics Office Investigation was complete, Bob was required to come to the Change Management Team and apologize. According to his own admission, he said "I figured since I was already in a little trouble, I might as well just finish the job". There are other details that prove dishonesty and a lack of integrity but I think I've said enough to make my point.

    Bill claims that Bob's incident did not involve dishonesty or a lack of integrity. In order for him to say this, he is either directly lying or the Corporate legal team that prepped him for the deposition lied to him about the incident.

    According to what I could surmise from case documents I found, the plaintiff was fired for dishonesty and a lack of integrity related to either intentionally or inadvertently emailing Personal Information (PI) on ex employees to a vendor who was being asked to hire ex employees for a job. She either intentionally lied or provided conflicting misstatements in the investigation.

    While the plaintiff was fired, Bob was promoted.

    My questions to this subreddit are:

    Is there anything I can do to dispute the claims made in this deposition? If so, can I be fired for it? (I am a non management employee in the State of California and my Company is a Multinational Corporation)

    Is there anything that can be done to force an independent review of the cases reported to my Corporate Ethics Office? I've been with this company for 25 years and this incident with Bob was not an isolated case. A point that Counsel for the plaintiff seemed to be trying to make was that there is a long history of the Company turning a blind eye to ethics violations committed by Managers and I couldn't agree more. I think this claim could proved if the EO investigations and the comments to the Annual Corporate Survey were to be independently reviewed. (Non Management employees have been using the comment section in the Corporate Survey to try to get word to Corporate of "issues" occurring at our individual sites for as long as I can remember. Though I haven't ever heard it of it working to resolve an issue, it is the non management employee's only hope).

    Lastly, one of the lawyers handling my EO complaint told me that all complaints that originate from a site are routed to the HR Manager of that site to handle, even if the complaint is about that HR Manager. I was told that this was the policy and process of the EO and they stood by it. Based on everything I read in the plaintiff's case, it does not appear this process was being consistently applied to all sites.

    submitted by /u/KATerrific-er
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment