• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 10, 2020

    Legal Advice - My work gave us an appreciation bonus and then deducted it from our paychecks later

    Legal Advice - My work gave us an appreciation bonus and then deducted it from our paychecks later


    My work gave us an appreciation bonus and then deducted it from our paychecks later

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 05:10 PM PST

    In CO just so you know! So my work gave all of us a very small appreciation bonus for working through covid and dealing with all that stress! All of us were pretty surprised, as this place does not give bonuses ever and honestly does very little to show their appreciation! But cool that extra money was nice. Well then this recent paycheck shows a deduction on their for an "advance" for the same amount our bonuses were for. I have never asked for an advance, and several of my co workers who i have spoken with say the same thing is on their paystubs! Can a company give you a bonus and then make you pay it back without telling you?

    submitted by /u/vader_kitty
    [link] [comments]

    I was put under "citizen's arrest" for shoplifting, took it to trial, and proven innocent. (Boise, ID) Can I sue?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 01:24 AM PST

    UPDATE: My goodness! By the time I got to this post after doing my morning things, I couldn't comment back to anyone cuz the post got locked (to everyone saying it's suspicious that I'm not responding lol.) I did not expect this to get the attention that it has, so I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed, and since no one can comment, it doesn't really make sense for me to add any more information. I was able to respond to two commenters, so there is more info in those for anyone interested. To be clear, in legal terms, I was "found innocent" in my trial, which I definitely had, lol. I think that the use of the word "settled" was used wrong in my description, from what some are saying, but I'm not exactly sure. This probably serves to show I should not file a suit on my own! Thanks to all who commented and feel free to message me if you have further info you think could help, as that's the only way I'm going to be able to get any more comments.

    EDIT TO UPDATE: My arrest was expunged due to being "found innocent," if this helps. I have not filed a suit if that is what is confusing to those wondering about my use of the term "settled." I took it to trial with a criminal defense attorney because I was pleading innocent.

    ORIGINAL POST: Like the title says, I was put under "citizen's arrest" for shoplifting I didn't commit, in Boise, ID, in October 2019. I took it to trial, and I was proven innocent. The store is a large corporation. I want to sue and at least get my legal fees reimbursed.

    A brief overview of what happened: I was picking up my meds at the pharmacy of this store. The LP guy apprehended me as I was leaving. He threatened to get my info from the pharmacy when I tried telling him I didn't do anything. He called the cops and they also attempted to take my medications to get more information off of my prescription bottles. I said something to them about it being private and so they set the bottles back down. LP employee had me put under arrest and I was taken to jail even though there was no evidence, including NO camera footage and finding NO evidence on my person of anything they accused me of stealing. I hired an attorney and won the case because there was no evidence. The case was settled in September of 2020. It cost me thousands of dollars and it took almost a year to get the whole thing done which caused me much mental distress. I have a severe anxiety disorder (hence all the meds I was picking up) and it caused me to develop an anxious compulsion that caused me to pull out all of my hair due to the humiliation and stress I suffered from this. I want to file a lawsuit. The attorney I hired really sucks at getting back to me and hasn't answered any of the questions I have about even at least getting my legal fees covered. Can I file a suit on my own, without the help of an attorney?

    submitted by /u/franddresser
    [link] [comments]

    My beloved wife (Russian citizen, but green card holder in the USA) passed away this morning due to heart failure at work. She was 36. Is there any way I can take her home for her funeral?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 07:20 AM PST

    She was, like myself, an Orthodox Christian. And I, along with her family, want her to be buried according to our customs. If there is no legal eay to take her home, can her family receive VISA for atttending her funeral here? (Baltimore, Maryland)

    submitted by /u/Sunshine_and_beer
    [link] [comments]

    Was told test result was negative, read later that it was never run

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 11:35 AM PST

    So a few months ago I was tested for several things, due to symptoms and very personal things happening to me. It took months before anyone called me from the office, and I was told my results were negative. I was given a round of antibiotics as a precaution, and during the course of antibiotics my symptoms were so severe I was told to go to the ER. I was tested again in the ER. Both times I was told I was negative. I missed a call from the physician's office, tried to call back with no answer, so I checked my patient portal and in it was a notice that said "our records show you were tested for x&y during a visit between this date and November 2020. Due to a shortage in equipment due to covid these tests were never completed and you will not be billed for them" So, basically I was lied to, twice? What kind of standing do I have? Is this considered malpractice? I'm sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you ahead of time. What was being tested for was left out for confidentiality reasons. Edit: Louisiana

    submitted by /u/Lyssabits
    [link] [comments]

    Workplace took money from paycheques to give to charity without permission. Is this legal?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 03:59 PM PST

    BC Canada.

    My workplace has been supporting a charity recently. Everyone will have 20 dollars removed from their cheque every week in December to support said charity. Noone was asked prior, and we can't opt out. Most of us are annoyed by this, but the head office insists it happen, because of our union. This can't be legal.

    submitted by /u/Dangers_Squid
    [link] [comments]

    (Washington) I just found out my husband has taken a second mortgage on our house, emptied our bank account, our savings and has $25,000 of debt on our credit card - all spent on the stock market

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 09:05 PM PST

    When I say that I had no idea I'm being honest. I was blindsided by this. Over the past almost two years, my husband of seven years emptied our savings account, put over $25,000 of debt on our credit card, taken a second mortgage on half of the house, is in default for both mortgages, our car and our other bills and has drained our joint bank account as well. He's even sold anything of value that we had, like his watch, my jewelry or one of our laptops.

    He showed me statements for payments and our accounts. I didn't know they were not real. He has a degree in finance and one in business so while I thought I was involved I let him take care of it. I didn't know he wasn't being truthful. He said he started buying and selling stocks for fun and it got out of control but he's going to fix it. He posts on different online places about his 'hobby' with other stock traders.

    I went to stay with a friend. Besides some clothes and my ID I didn't even have much to take. The place I worked is out of business because of Covid so I lost my job two weeks ago. To top it all off I'm about a month pregnant with our first child. I have no money because he spent it all. He told me my engagement ring was being cleaned but he sold it and our wedding rings.

    I want to divorce him but I have no money for a lawyer. I don't know where to start.. I've never needed one before this. Can I get a lawyer to work up front while I look for a job? We've been married for seven years. What will happen with the divorce and dividing things up if he spent it all? My final question is can I work out a payment plan for the credit card and the mortgages and everything else we're in debt/default on since my is on them too and it will wreck my credit otherwise?

    submitted by /u/nonamelegalaccount
    [link] [comments]

    If I (US citizen) die, will my spouse's(green card holder) N-400 be invalidated?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 05:11 PM PST

    My wife has a green card( for a little more than 3 years) and we have already submitted an application for naturalization, but that's probably gonna take forever to process, so I was curious about this. I know that if I had died before submitting the application, she would've had to wait longer, and would not have been able to submit as a spouse, but what about after submitting the application? My morbid curiosity won't let me stop thinking about this

    submitted by /u/imveryboredrightnow
    [link] [comments]

    [MA] Have a lease until March but landlord said she is selling the house. Asking if I could be out in 30 days because the new buyer doesn't want a tenant. I want to move because the heat here sucks but she only notified me on Sunday.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 12:46 PM PST

    This is actually for my partner who doesn't have reddit. She has a good relationship with the landlord and she hasn't been adversarial about it but landlord told her she was trying to sell the house on Sunday. Told my gf that should would potentially extend the lease a few months for the new buyer if my gf needed it.

    Then today LL calls the gf to say there is an offer but the buyer wants no tenant. Buyer is looking to close in 30 days. GF is happy to move because she has just learned that the electric heating is $400 a month and still leaves some rooms at just 58 degrees.

    I told my gf not to worry and to tell the LL she cannot commit to any move out date at this time but that she is in good faith searching for a new apartment ASAP which is true.

    My three questions are:

    1. The LL can't kick her out before the lease ends in March, correct?

    2. GF paid first, last and deposit when she moved in (deposit was one month rent) and has already paid for December rent. Would this mean that the GF is paid up through the end of January? I believe she will be able to find a place by then and do not want to pay an additional month rent.

    3. Heat is not included but she uses the provided electric heat. For $400 a month in electricity it still has rooms below 60 degrees, is there any recourse for that? She is leaving soon but damn 60 is cold af.

    submitted by /u/YPG-Got-Raqqa
    [link] [comments]

    Applying for a job, got tested for a drug that I'm not aware

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 03:26 PM PST

    Hello guys,

    I applied a job and they endorse me to take a drug test. They did a hair sample test, and it came out positive on Methempathine Positive MS 23.9 ng/10 mg. I haven't done drugs of any sort ever, except dietary supplements.

    They are advising me to do a secondary review and requiring me to bring a prescription which I clearly don't have.

    I need advice. I would like to work with this company im applying.

    submitted by /u/fortydaysfasting
    [link] [comments]

    Guy towed my car and is stating I paid with a fake bill. Now he’s threatening me

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 07:17 PM PST

    Location is Southern California

    So this past thanksgiving, I went over to a friends house and unknowingly parked in a reserved spot. When I left, I discovered my car missing and figured it got towed. After making a few calls, I got in contact with the company who towed it.

    He had my car for less then an hour and wanted to charge me $440. I was willing to pay a portion but I thought that was way overpriced. In addition, he stated his credit card machine was down and I had to pay cash, which I thought was highly suspicious. So he made me go to an ATM and grab the cash. I didn't really have a choice so I just paid up.

    Now here's the kicker, when I met him we recognized each other and we went to high school together. I log onto Facebook today and see that he messaged me the day after thanksgiving and stating one of the bills was fake even though I pulled it all from an ATM. Why would I pay with just 1 fake bill? I might've just paid the whole thing with fake bills if I had them.

    Now he's stating "I just made an enemy and now knows my car and will keep an eye out for it". I go to this friends house pretty frequently and feel like he's gonna tow my car even though I'll park in a guest spot or something.

    I have a copy of the receipt which he wrote down the price and everything, which includes the address on my license which is my old address but is my parents house.

    Tomorrow I plan to call the sheriffs office and reach out to the "civil matters" department and see if they have a copy of the receipt with the same price. I was informed the sheriffs office gets a copy of the receipt. I'm curious if he pocketed any of the money.

    Anything else I should do?

    submitted by /u/ItsMe_YO
    [link] [comments]

    [CT] Recently deceased father's house is still in grandfather's name

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 06:30 PM PST

    My father passed away recently, and my brother and I are in the beginning stages of deciding how to proceed with the Probate process. We are the only heirs.

    He left no will, but led a simple life. His estate consists of his house, an old car, and a small pension. No stocks, no mortgage, no credit cards or debts. Property/income taxes are paid up. No liens on anything.

    We've been pondering going through probate without a lawyer. The only sticky point is that my father's house is still in HIS father's name. The house was willed to my father and we have my grandfather's will stating this, and that will was the one that was probated when my grandfather died 25 years ago.

    My father just never filed whatever form was needed with the town to switch the house into his name. He's been paying the property taxes and everything.

    Would this be an issue? Or should we submit my grandfather's will/probate info with an explanation, along with the application for my father, and hope the court will figure it out? It's really the only unusual thing about the process that we're not certain what to do about.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SwampHusky
    [link] [comments]

    Want to marry my girlfriend, but I'm concerned about being interviewed in my home country for visa/green card procedures

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 06:19 PM PST

    Edit to add that it's a throwaway account due to privacy concerns.

    So, I am a Female and I have been dating my girlfriend for over a year now. However, we've been in love for almost 5 years but haven't been able to date because of the distance. I came to the US to continue my studies and we gave dating a go and we've never been happier.

    The topic of marriage came up and I really want to marry my girlfriend and I see a future with her. However, I come from a homophobic country. Being gay isn't illegal, however, society's perception are still very much against it. Basically, if my family finds out, they'll probably kill me for real.

    Visa laws changed between my country and the US and you can't apply to adjust your status from the US, you will have to go back home and file for a change in Visa from there. However, my concern is that many people working at the US embassy are from my country. I am terrified of the thought that one of them will handle my case, that they'll see it's a gay marriage application and that my personal information will leak somehow. I know I might just be paranoid. I can't email or call the embassy about it, because again, the customer service agents aren't American. I have no way of confirming how my case will be handled and I am fearing for my life.

    What can I do? What are my options? Cam I file from the US and be interviewed in the US?

    I really feel trapped.

    submitted by /u/Star1014light
    [link] [comments]

    Not allowed to graduate high school because of days they were legally required to quarantine.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 09:51 PM PST

    Hi, im making this post of my partner's behalf. Theyre a year younger than me and currently a senior in high school in papillion, Nebraska. Theyve missed quite a few days after several quarantines. These quarantines were not optional and rather issued by the school and they were NOT ALLOWED to come to school. So come to now, the superintendent of the school is now not allowing them to graduate (despite failing no classes) because of the missed days during quarantine that, again, were not optional.

    The school has also disabled their school email, making it so they cannot contact any school officials, which only happens once one has graduated/dropped out/ transferred schools

    no legal documents have been signed saying that they are expelled, have dropped out, or anything of the like

    Is this legal? We are both 18, but the age of adult hood in NE is 19. Even if its illegal, would we even be able to take legal action? thanks.

    submitted by /u/Devetite
    [link] [comments]

    For me to get out of lease, landlord is requesting I pay broker fee for next renter or part of the fee to sell (Boston, MA)

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 08:27 PM PST

    Hi all, I moved into this apartment at the start of November, and since then have been dealing with very frequent noise disturbances from the upstairs tenant. For me, it's unlivable. I've been going back and forth with my landlord/unit owner since moving in.

    Just after a week of living here I asked the landlord if it'd be possible for me to get out of the lease and he said he would, contingent upon me finding a new tenant and I'd have to pay the broker's fee (1 month rent). He then said that he believed the complaint system through the building would be successful, so I decided to wait it out and see.

    It wasn't. The tenant upstairs has people over and plays bass heavy music every weekend night, even Thursday nights. I mean literally every weekend. And the ceiling/floor is essentially a bass drum, and I can hear everything, it translates at a low frequency and shakes my apartment. The landlord(owner) of my unit spoke to the owner of the unit upstairs (the tenant is renting, like me) regarding the tenant's noise. In response to this complaint, the tenant retaliated that day by repeatedly banging on the floor, and purposefully stomping everywhere, and blasting music all day. This was done aggressive enough to get one of my ceiling lights half way out of the ceiling. I informed my landlord of this and he suggested I call the police next time this happens.

    With all my communication and complaints to the landlord/owner of my unit, noise has only gotten worse and do not see it improving. It's frustrating too, because when I first checked out the apartment I asked the owner two times if he hears the neighbors, and he said he had no issues (which I know is subjective), but still feel like he wasn't honest. (unit was previously occupied by the landlord/owner).

    The other day I sent him an email that I'd like to proceed with ending my lease and finding a new tenant, asking if he needed me to find a broker or if he had one. He said he was going to make calls and get back to me.

    He got back to me tonight and said the likely hood of getting the place rented within the next few months is low, due to demand in the city. He said he planned to sell the unit at the conclusion of the my lease, so finding someone that would take a rental for less than 12 months is even more difficult. But this is still an option, I'd just have to pay a broker fee (one-month rent) and continue to pay rent until a new tenant is found.

    He said he'd be willing to sell the unit now, and that he spoke with a broker and was able to get a good deal on the broker rate for the sale (1%). This broker has also been able to sell units in the same building very quickly lately. But I'd have to pay 65% of this 1% broker rate on the sale (which equals to about 1.6 months of rent). And continue to pay rent until sale is closed. And supposedly this deal on the 1% rate expires tomorrow night, and I'd need to send him the sale broker fee amount tomorrow too if I want to go that route, which seems weird to me, but also have no experience with selling. He emphasized selling would be an inconvenience and a financially adverse move for him, because he planned to sell next year when the demand for city life increased and he could receive a higher offer.

    I know it's nice he's letting me out of the lease, but does everything else sound legally sound? I've never been in a situation like this before, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Significant_Cell_680
    [link] [comments]

    What to do when landlord won’t return security deposit?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 08:24 PM PST

    I recently took my landlord to court in regards to my security deposit and won by default decision. Now he ducks and dodges payments and I need to know what to do next to ensure I get my money back. (Located in NY btw) thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Alive_Low_12
    [link] [comments]

    Manager at Dominos for 3 Years fired by new gm for not taking orders until the dirty dishes from the night before were cleaned before using them again.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 09:49 PM PST

    I got fired for not taking orders for about 30 min in order to clean up the equipment and dishes because they were covered in grease, old food and soapy water from the night before. It has been an ongoing problem with the closers not properly washing them so I check them every morning when I get there at 12.

    When I saw the state of everything I had to stop making food. The opener was prepping food in the disgusting contaminated dish tubs and bottles and half of prep was already done. I called the gm. no answer. never does. called the supervisor didn't answer. So I stopped taking orders until everything was actually clean because if a health inspector came in and saw that we would be completely screwed. Not only that but the actual concern of making people sick or worse. Especially during this pandemic. After I gathered everything to be cleaned the gm showed up and said I'm fired before even looking at the dishes. He was screaming in my face so loud and close that I could smell his breath through his and my mask. I was calm and said just look at the dishes. He completely ignored me and started screaming again to "get out of my store". So I left. He only cares about the money and numbers. Food safety and customer safety was completely thrown out the window. I got fired for doing the right thing and my job. It blows my mind. I trained that gm sadly.

    I have several photos and multiple witnesses. I post some of the photos here.

    Location: Oregon, USA

    submitted by /u/3Marlin
    [link] [comments]

    Ex husband with joint conservatorship is now requiring written consent

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 11:08 AM PST

    Please help.

    I recently sent my ex receipts for our child's doctors appts, which we discussed her going.

    He is now saying he never consented to any health appt and is accusing me of making decisions without him.

    His new wife is telling me the same thing too.

    I asked them if he is taking back his verbal consent since he is now requiring written consent (bc he is essentially trying to get out of paying)

    What did I do wrong?

    What can happen in court?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/xtinabelcherx
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Finding a lawyer for clinical study & IRB misconduct

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 07:30 PM PST

    My elderly mother was verbally abused, lied to, and unjustly & unsafely terminated from a clinical trial in a way that directly breached contract. She filed a complaint with the university IRB, which they have now responded to with a letter that does not substantively address any of her concerns, and is filled with factual inaccuracies about the minor concern it does address (and dismiss).

    The only recourse left seems to be legal action, but we're not sure how to identify the most appropriate type of lawyer for this situation. Any advice about keywords or other guidance for how we can find a good lawyer in California who will consider working on a case like this on contingency would be very much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/personman
    [link] [comments]

    OBGYN told me wrong test results

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 04:30 PM PST

    I'm currently 7 months pregnant and had prenatal labs done when I was a little over a month into my pregnancy. I was told by my doctor via a letter in my patient portal and in person by a PA that my labs were normal. I recently found out that the results they gave me were wrong and that this might affect my baby since I have an issue that's gone untreated for 6 months. The doctor sent me a letter saying she read the results wrong and blamed it on the lab result system. Is there anything I can do?

    Edit: California

    submitted by /u/throwaway382947294
    [link] [comments]

    I bought 2 $270 concert tickets for a concert that was canceled due to covid the venue refuses to refund me. What can I do?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 09:48 AM PST

    In February I bought 2 $270 concert tickets to a lupe fiasco concert set to take place in April in San Diego. The concert was later canceled due to covid and after reaching out to the venue multiple times they repeatedly told me they will refund me in time but they are backed up due to covid. It's been 8 months and I believe they have no intention of refunding me. Do I have any hopes of getting my money back?

    submitted by /u/luperobbedme
    [link] [comments]

    There’s a BLATANT scammer on a social media platform with nearly a million followers who is committing mass, documented fraud and making a sizable amount of money doing it. How would one go about filing a class action lawsuit against this individual?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 09:52 PM PST

    I am not personally a victim of this scam but there are hundreds if not thousands of victims with readily available documentation of being defrauded of tens and hundreds of dollars, as well as being promised tens of thousands as a raffle reward or expensive tech products in return for purchasing said fraud's ebooks. Are there attorneys who would take such a case on contingency, and based on the information provided does this sound like a worthwhile endeavor?

    submitted by /u/LouieCKPP
    [link] [comments]

    Transporting Alcohol Across State Lines (NY to MI)

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 05:13 PM PST

    My dad recently had a stroke and my husband has been clearing out the house. Although my father rarely drank, people gave him alcohol as gifts, and he has a bit of a stash. Since there are a lot of unopened bottles, DH would like to bring a few home (5-10 bottles). Dad's house is in NY and we live in MI. The problem is that it looks like taking alcohol across the Ohio border is illegal. Can DH really not bring any of the alcohol home? That seems absurd.

    submitted by /u/ThrowRAherekitty
    [link] [comments]

    Employer Withdrawing from 401k

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 08:09 PM PST

    Hello,

    I was overpaid by my employer after I left. In the process, they withdrew my contributions from the extra paychecks I recieved from my 401k. It was approximately 2 months after the overpayment occurred (January --> March). Because of the time frame and the market dropping, I took a loss. For examples sake: contributions were $1,000, they were invested, and when they made the withdrawal of $1,000, the value had dropped to $700.

    I realize I am many many months late on this, however I am actually still dealing with the company regarding the over payment and it got me thinking. I'm in Michigan. Are they allowed to do this? I'm assuming the answer's yes, but just wondering if there's anything that could possibly be done here. It's been 11 months of hell trying to cut ties with this employer and if there's a chance I could recoup the loss it would be awesome.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/terabyte325
    [link] [comments]

    Man bought my car but wants to get money back

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 09:22 AM PST

    MICHIGAN:

    A man offered to buy my car, we settled and I ended up selling it for less than I wanted but I honestly just wanted it gone. He called me back a few hours later to tell me the trans is gone and he wants $400 back to get it fixed. I told him no since Michigan is a "as is sale" state. He asked if he could bring it back and I told him I didn't want the car back.

    I'm wondering if I should have anything to worry about? I didn't know the trans was messed up and gave him a estimate list of things that my mechanic gave me to get fixed.

    submitted by /u/Goldielonglocs
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment