• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 15, 2020

    Legal Advice - My ex girlfriend lives in my house and wants to take me to court because I don’t want to babysit her child.

    Legal Advice - My ex girlfriend lives in my house and wants to take me to court because I don’t want to babysit her child.


    My ex girlfriend lives in my house and wants to take me to court because I don’t want to babysit her child.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:09 AM PST

    My girlfriend recently cheated on me and is still living in my home. I obviously would like her and her daughter to leave and find there own place but so far I've been watching her daughter while she goes to work. I'd pick her up from daycare and watch her since she WAS my girlfriend. Since she cheated on me. I'm fine with her new boyfriend picking her up. Since it's not legally my child.

    Yesterday I went to meet a friend for a beer for the first time in months. I discussed the break up. How she lied and cheated and manipulated me. How she never pays any bills except internet.

    She texts me that she had to miss work because she was expecting me to be home and watch her. I'm not the biological father. It's my home and they are allowed to stay there for three weeks which is the timeline I've given her.

    She texted me today that she wants to take me to court for domestic issue. That me not babysitting is preventing her from going to work. The child is not mine. She has a new boyfriend. I don't feel like I have to be pressured into being a babysitter.

    Is there anything I can do? Does she have a case? I live in Connecticut.

    EDIT: The terms she threw around is that it's "financial abuse" because I'm preventing her from going to work at 8:00pm due to her not having anyone watch her daughter. I'm usually home at that time but occasionally I would like to go to the gym or do my own activities. So then someone would have to watch her.

    submitted by /u/turtlelevelslow
    [link] [comments]

    My company's HR sent out an email and accidentally included my social in it. I'm now a victim of identity theft.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 02:03 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm in FL and a few months ago my company's HR sent out an email to individual department heads and some other people relevant to the issue(I don't know exactly who, or how many). It was supposed to be a general list of employees that still needed to complete an online thing.

    They included everyone's social security number on accident. I was alerted that it happened, and given a year of Kroll identity protection.

    A few days ago I had a fraudulent credit card opened in my name.

    I'm not positive at this point if it's related to the HR email or not, but if the investigation concludes it is, is my company required to take other steps to help/protect me?

    Edit: I guess I'll wait until the end of the investigation to see if it can be proven that the info came from my job, and see what I'll do. Hindsight is 20/20, I had freezes on my credit for years. Temporarily thawed them for a car loan awhile ago, or so I thought. TransUnion actually unfroze, and I didn't realize.

    submitted by /u/dressedseriously
    [link] [comments]

    My sister who is the executor of our inherited estate put my half of the house in her new boyfriend name.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:29 PM PST

    My grandpa died in May of 2018, and in the will he put that my sister and I get equal shares of everything including the house and all that's in it. I recently found out through the tax accessors that she transferred my portion of the house into her new boyfriends name, and when I asked how she did that without my signature she is no longer responding to me.

    I have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow. Is what she's doing legal? And could she do it without my signature if so?

    We are located in Oregon

    submitted by /u/queenofthequeefs
    [link] [comments]

    [MI] My adoptive parents' biological son wants to sue me over control of our parents' property

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 02:32 PM PST

    I was adopted. My parents are deceased. They died in 2014. I was left a house and a store. There was a will and I am listed on it. My brother isn't. I'm not sure if they formerly disinherited him, but their relationship was estranged and they had not seen him in 10 years.

    He recently came back to Michigan and I am having problems with him. He is homeless and has broken into the house I was left multiple times. The last time was back in November and I called the police. They removed him. He also showed up to my store and harassed the customers and stole items. Again, I called the police. He has been arrested twice. He has been ordered to stay away from the property.

    Now he's demanding I give him the house and the business or he will sue me in court over it. He claims he should have "half ownership" of them or even full because he is their biological heir, while I am not.

    submitted by /u/LAthrowawayMI
    [link] [comments]

    Boyfriend's landlord wants me to sign the lease even though I don't live there???

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 04:46 PM PST

    We live in Pennsylvania. I currently live with my parents as I am a full time graduate student and do not make enough money working part time to provide for myself. My boyfriend's apartment building recently sold and it being taken over by a real estate company as opposed to a private owner. He just called me saying they told him that because I stay there more than 7 nights in a year, I need to sign the lease. They stated that it is a federal regulation and mostly for security reasons. They claimed that I do not have to pay a security deposit and I will not be responsible for any of the rent. This seems very sketchy to me. I do not know the regulations of renting. I can't put myself in a possible situation of being financially responsible for this apartment. Also, if I do not sign it, what could they do? Would I not be allowed to stay the night there anymore?

    Thanks for the help guys!

    submitted by /u/therosagallica
    [link] [comments]

    My stepdad wants to fight me for custody of my siblings

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:26 PM PST

    My mother passed away from cancer on December 20th, she left myself and 4 other siblings behind.

    My step father (married for 2 years, not the children's father) wants to try and get custody of the kids. I am assuming it has something to do with getting his free card as he has shown no care for them since my mother became ill. They lived together and I did not. I naturally as the older sibling gravitated towards caring for the children fully. This has been in effect since late October 2019 - they have stayed with me since that time. My mother didn't have a will but it was agreed verbally that i would gain custody of the children in her absence. I have since October, taken them for check ups, met with teachers at the children's school, taken them to the dentist, and even optometrist (one child needed glasses severely)

    I have provided for them financially and emotionally since and before my mothers passing.

    What are the odds he wins me in court? Then children are 7 and 10 and if they had to choose i know without a doubt they would want to remain in my custody. I have an apt with my mother's social worker this next week, but it seems as though he has also met up with a social worker who is helping him close out my mother's accounts and gain his residency.

    Throwaway for obvious reasons.

    submitted by /u/throwie62928
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] My window AC unit is medically necessary but HOA is making me remove it.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:36 PM PST

    I have a pretty bad sleep disorder and chronic pancreatitis. According to the National Sleep Foundation the room temperature for optimal sleep is 60-67 degrees. I live in a 2 story house. The AC upstairs sucks, and without the AC my room can reach 80+ degrees when the downstairs thermostat is set to 73.

    I have tried a floor unit that connects to my window, but these types of AC units abruptly and loudly shut off when they reach their set temperature. This wakes me up almost every time. Also they put the heat they generate back into the room, making them pretty inefficient. With my window unit, the compressor shuts off (gently) and the fan continues to run.

    I provided HOA with a doctor's note stating my medical conditions. This AC unit can only be seen by standing in the back alley. Realistically, no one ever sees my AC unit. I have read somewhere that the Fair Housing Act is relevant here.

    My only other option would be a mini split ac, which will cost thousands of dollars with installation, which I simply can not do.

    What are my options here?

    submitted by /u/SICFJC
    [link] [comments]

    My husband and I adopted a baby 14 months ago. Baby's biological father claims he was never notified and is trying to vacate the adoption (MA). We fear he may have a case.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:28 PM PST

    Going to try to keep a long story short. Obviously we have an adoption attorney but just looking for some outside advice as well.

    My husband and I adopted a baby girl (who is now 15 months old) shortly after her birth in 2018. Her biological father had said both in person and in writing to her biological mother that he didn't want anything to do with the baby, and he didn't sign the birth certificate.

    Per MA state law, the father was notified in writing by the court and was given 4 days to respond after delivery of the paperwork was confirmed. He didn't respond and the child was then freed for adoption.

    We have an open relationship with the child's biological mother, her older children, and her current partner. We have never heard from the biological father but he'd have been welcome to contact us as well.

    Now in the present, the biological father has resurfaced. He's claiming that he never got notice that the adoption was happening, that he never said he wouldn't have anything to do with the baby, and that the letter informing him of the adoption was sent to an address that he didn't live at anymore (someone signed for it). He was clear in his petition to vacate the adoption that if he had known that she would be adopted by a same sex couple (us), he definitely wouldn't have signed off on the adoption because it goes against his personal values.

    Our lawyer pretty much told us to let the court handle it and to NOT alarm the biological mom until we absolutely had to, but admitted to never having dealt with such a situation before.

    Does anyone know anything about this? Like, realistically, is there a case here? This is our child. We're the only family she's ever known. She's my daughter and I'm in knots at the idea of losing her, especially because we lost an older child to cancer shortly before she was born.

    submitted by /u/needinglegaladvice78
    [link] [comments]

    Did fertility preservation before starting chemo a few years ago. Received a letter yesterday saying the hospital storing my eggs is ending their service and will destroy them if I don’t respond in 2 days.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:01 AM PST

    Opened the mail last night and there was a letter from the fertility clinic I used several years ago to preserve my eggs before I started chemotherapy (chemo can cause infertility). The letter was dated Dec 20, post marked Jan 6, and arrived in my mailbox this week.

    The letter says the clinic is ending their cryogenic service and I have until Friday to mail back the signed letter stating whether I want my eggs destroyed or transferred to some other place that they've selected in another city. If I don't respond, they will destroy the eggs.

    I live in Massachusetts. There is no way the letter will reach in time. Is it legal for them to give me this short of notice? If the letter doesn't reach in time and they destroy my eggs, do I have grounds for legal recourse? None of this was mentioned in the contract I signed with them.

    submitted by /u/meowroarhiss
    [link] [comments]

    Can I be demoted during pregnancy?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:35 PM PST

    My job requires 2 supervisors to split any open shifts in a schedule if they are unable to find coverage for them. I am one of those supervisors. This more often than not ends up with supervisors doing 110-120 hours a pay period. At least.

    My doctor wants me to only do the standard 80 hours a pay period for the duration of my pregnancy as I am high risk and my job is very physically demanding. We have to be able to place aggressive individuals into restraints and the clients in our care require constant supervision.

    I know when a previous supervisor was in the same situation they threatened to demote her and stated that "covering overtime shifts is in your job description, if you cannot complete the tasks in your job description then you will be demoted and unable to return to your supervisory position until a position opens up again at which point you will have to reapply"

    I love my job. It took me a long time to get this position and I would like to hold on to it. I would also like to not have to do any overtime for the duration of my pregnancy as it is exhausting. Can they legally demote me?

    If they do demote me what options do I have?

    Thank you so much.

    submitted by /u/MrsHarris2019
    [link] [comments]

    Homeowner of room I rent changed locks and kicked me out while the rent check was in the mail.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:44 AM PST

    Quick background, I'm a disabled, unemployed veteran going through some mental illness and I am financially struggling and could not make rent $600 on January 1st. I started school to get back on track mentally/emotionally and now get plenty of money for rent from the gi bill. On Friday January 3 I received assistance from the veterans assistance program in Pierce County, WA in the form of a rent voucher/veterans relief fund. I also signed a new lease with her for 6 months as per the requirements for the voucher. The voucher was supposed to take 7-10 days to be mailed to my landlord. It was signed by her and was submitted on Monday January 7. I was out of the house for a week and on 13 January she sent me a message saying she changed the locks and I had until Friday January 17 to get my stuff out or she's throwing it outside. She said I need to make an appointment with her for a date and time to come get it all. I understand I paid rent in the slowest way possible and I did it two days late (Jan 3).

    Does she have the right to change the locks and give me a single day to get my stuff? Stuff that will require a huge truck. The laws concerning tenants and landlords are clear but this situation is murky due to the voucher being my January rent and taking a long time to get to her. And we just signed a new lease? Also I want to know if I have the right to get my deposit back, if it turns out she does evict me. I don't want to live with such a cruel person that is cool with me and my dog being homeless.
    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Alauren2
    [link] [comments]

    Niece lives with wife & I. Niece's mom doing everything she can to change that.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 01:02 PM PST

    I'm in Iowa if that matters. I don't even really know where to start or what to share but I don't really know of a better place to ask for advice than /r/legaladvice.

    My [16F] niece lives with my wife and I and our 4 children. She has since August of last year. The reason for her living with us is due to her mother moving out of a place and not having a new place to live. She, and two of her other three children, currently live in the basement of a friend of hers.

    My niece's mom has never really liked the idea of her daughter living with us but while she protests never really does anything to force our hand in bringing her back. The situation escalated recently with my niece's mom insisting her daughter come home and her daughter refusing to do so. We want to support our niece but also want to ensure we're not overstepping or doing things we're not allowed to do. Because of this we've spoken with local law enforcement, our niece's therapist and DHS. They all tell us that they can't force our niece to leave without court intervention. The therapist is who encouraged our niece to simply not comply with her mother's request.

    The mother is now painting a completely false picture for DHS (they recently went to talk to her and her other children as a result of all of this). Even though she literally dropped her daughter off at our house back in August she's telling DHS that she's a runaway and will report her as such if we don't comply in bringing her back.

    Everyone (cop, DHS, therapist) is telling us we need to talk to a lawyer about guardianship/custody. I don't think they're wrong and our niece is on board with us pursuing a more permanent solution to all of this but I want to be sure this is our only option. I know doing something like this will forever alter her (my niece's) relationship with her mother and siblings. I guess I'm looking for guidance in how to actually proceed. If more information is needed, just ask. I'm an open book. Thank you for taking the time to read through this. I hope it makes sense. I sorta feel like I'm just rambling/venting.

    Update: I feel like there's nothing I can do. Apparently my niece's mom convinced DHS she's a runaway. DHS contacted us and said we're harboring a runaway if she's not back in two weeks. FML.

    submitted by /u/Stupidllama
    [link] [comments]

    Downgraded Airline Ticket Remedies?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 10:41 AM PST

    Hi, not sure of what remedies I have available or if there is any laws set forth against this. I booked two airline business class tickets via Expedia on Hong Kong Airlines. The airline for unknown reasons downgraded my ticket to coach. (They claimed they removed business class due to plane change.) They are refusing to refund the difference or put me on another similar flight. Basically, they charged me for business and moved me to coach without any consideration on my part. Even though in their contract of carriage it states: "If you are denied boarding against your will on a flight for which you have both a valid ticket and a confirmed reservation or you are involuntarily downgraded to a lower class, we will provide compensation to you in accordance with applicable law." This is for my honeymoon and my wife and I are both beyond upset. This seems like a total bait and switch. Please help!

    Edit: Purchase was made in the United States. Flight is going from Hong Kong to Bangkok Thailand.

    submitted by /u/Dotcom73
    [link] [comments]

    Ex is refusing to allow our children to get extra support (school counselor) for their severe anxiety to help them in school and even went to administration to try and prevent this. (SLC, UT)

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 12:24 PM PST

    Already have an order in place. Joint legal, joint physical custody that I willingly handed over. Monday-Monday week on/week off schedule.

    We are currently in process of a motion to modify, which my ex initiated since the children are 'struggling in school' but really, he just wants them to be closer to his home now he doesn't have to pass their school. There is no substantial indicators that they are struggling because the school they are in (a commissioner ruled on this, twice). A final decision maker regarding school decisions will be decided, but this won't be to trial before school ends.

    My children suffer from anxiety; both of them have signs of severe anxiety. My 9 year old has some problems with pee accidents, stomach aches and several other symptoms. My 11 year old has anxiety attacks, trouble sleeping, and more. They are also struggling with social skills. They are in talk therapy 1 hour a week for this.

    I have spoken with their teachers on how to help them do better in school. Both teachers have been extraordinarily engaged and helping my girls. Both suggested having the girls pulled from class, 20-30 minutes a week to see the school social worker, to help them with their anxiety and social skills. This will not happen during core instruction, tests, brain boosters or whole class activities. Both teachers have been fully committed in helping the girls any way they can and taking extra time with them when they are struggling.

    I spoke to their current therapist about this, and she stated it would be a great idea. Any additional support the girls can get and having someone in school they can go to when they are struggling in a specific situation would be an excellent resource for them.

    One of the teachers stated that the anxiety and struggle with social skills could be a factor in them struggling in school and personally feels as though it would help my oldest daughter do better overall (He was CC'd on the email from her that said this and responded he would think about it.. So he read that email).

    My ex is refusing to allow this to happen because "the girls need all the class time they can get" and apparently feels as though them being taken out 20-30 minutes out of 33 hours a week of school during non-essential activities will cause them to fall further behind (even though the teachers stated commitments to help that not happen) and send the message that school is not important. He went as far as going to the school administration and told the office not to allow it to happen should I sign the consent form for them to be able to do this. (Which I had not done yet.. Unlike him I do not make joint decisions against his consent). Since we have joint legal custody I don't think I can have them start attending these sessions without his knowledge and consent.

    What can I do about this until a final decision maker has been determined by the court?

    Can I file a temporary order with the court to order the counseling be allowed until this is solved by our Modification that's in process?

    -( I cannot afford a lawyer at the moment (I paid a retainer and my last lawyer ghosted me, never met with me after i paid).

    I am not even getting child support (ORS has filed to have the $600/mo garnished and he is fighting it but it will be worked out with our modifications) I don't have any other resources or family to help with money, and I make less in a month than a retainer costs so its either bills and living expenses or lawyer fees and homeless. I have applied for legal aid but even that is too expensive.)-

    Any advice helps.

    submitted by /u/MomTryingHerHardest
    [link] [comments]

    My mom's being sued over leaves

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 04:41 PM PST

    My mom's neighbor has issued a summons for her not doing anything about the leaves in his yard from her tree. This is in rural va. What can we expect in court if she cannot find an attorney? She's 70 and doesn't want to show up without one. And in case anyone is wondering, she's not interested in letting him bully her either so she's definitely answering this

    submitted by /u/moviesetmonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Is my mother legally stealing my money?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:57 PM PST

    For background: I'm 18 and working full time at a Mcdonald's my mother is unemployed and already gets benefits from the government (I live in the UK). I've been trying to move out for a while as she's borderline emotionally abusive but every paycheck I get, she forces me to give her 50-70% of my pay for "rent". I've done my research and the government already pays for her rent as well as an extra £100 per week for groceries and the like. Also, what I give her is likely to actually be higher than the house's rent in itself as we live in a run down area. I'd love to be able to just move into a friend's house for a while and threaten her with court but I'm worried I don't actually have a case. Any advice? thanks in advance

    edit: I've made it clear to her on multiple occasions that I'm not happy with the situation but I'm kinda weak willed and always give in

    submitted by /u/throwaway-hfcjvb
    [link] [comments]

    Large Item never arrived

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 12:33 PM PST

    I have a small screenprinting shop and we wanted to branch out into Embroidery. I saved up enough to invest several thousand in a new machine, so after researching machines and finding the "best" deal. I ordered through a company called Yazirwansewing.com. Everything seemed legitimate and their communication was great. I searched for a while to double check that they were a legitimate company and saw nothing indicative of a scam, so I proceeded with the purchase. I was told my package would arrive January 5th. It is 10 days later and the company has not responded to multiple emails and neither of their numbers listed are working for me.What would be the best course of action to get in touch with the company? or should I go ahead with seeking legal advice on the matter?

    The payment was through a bank transfer.

    I am located in the U.S. and The company is located in Singapore, but they apparently ship from Indonesia.

    submitted by /u/benjitits
    [link] [comments]

    US citizen husband threatening divorce one month after I got my green card

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:44 PM PST

    I'm in a bit of a desperate situation and trying to understand what are my options. I got my permanent green card last month after being married for almost 5 years to a US citizen, I have always been his dependent since I first came to the US and now he is threatening to separate/divorce. I have been applying for jobs but still got no answer back, and I don't even have a driver's license, I depend on him 100%. I don't have any family nor friends in the US so I'm really scared for my life if that happens. Am I allowed to require him to pay pension or can I apply for government assistance while I don't find a job? I don't have any money and nowhere to go..

    I'm not sure if this matters but this relationship has been psychologically and physically abusive, he treated me awfully the whole time I was his dependent and now that Im trying to gain a little independence he seems to be kicking me to the curb.

    Location: NY

    submitted by /u/throwaway66783888383
    [link] [comments]

    CVS gave my prescription to someone else

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:42 AM PST

    I had a prescription for a controlled substance and somebody who knows who I am went to the pharmacy and picked it up for me without my consent. I called the pharmacy an hour after they did so telling them "I'm gonna pick it up in the afternoon" and they're like "oh someone just picked it up for you.... we have to file a police report now. " isn't the pharmacy at fault for this? And can they give me a new prescription or do I have to go thru a police report / get a new script from my doctor. Help I'm in pain. !! (I live in Nevada)

    submitted by /u/jackerabbitsquirrel
    [link] [comments]

    I suspect my neighbor may be taking my packages, security camera footage question

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:57 PM PST

    Hello all,

    I am in Oregon for reference.

    Long story short, FedEx delivered one of my package to my neighbor's home in error. The security cameras I have show that FedEx delivered a package to them, but what can I do to prove that the package is mine? Neighbors say they don't have any of my packages.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/SorenTheKitten
    [link] [comments]

    Failing School, Missed more than 20% of days because I have to take care of 4 kids.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 11:08 PM PST

    I'm in Florida, United States of America. My sister recently had a problem with her kids and my parents took custody. I've been staying home from school (9th Grade) because I know my parents are doing a bad job, and there's no way for them to go to a different household right now cause my sister broke a restraining order, and the boyfriend's family has all done crimes.

    I've been feeding, teaching, and helping these kids, and trying to help my parents be with them better. There is no violence, but constant yelling, screaming, crying, broken glass, toys, stepping on cats (on accident).

    I don't want my parents to be put in jail because of my excessive amount of missing school, and that I'm also failing. I know that they can go to jail because of my absences.

    Is there any way I can fix this situation? Or is there any way to be excused legally? Not having my parents go to jail due to absences, and not have me failing my grade?

    submitted by /u/Sad_Daarren
    [link] [comments]

    My school accidentally sent me over 300 students personal data, including DOB, phone numbers, and home addresses.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 10:17 AM PST

    Long story short, I was sent a .txt file containing hundreds of students names, addresses, debts, phone numbers, email addresses, and student ID numbers. The file was attached in an email from the financial aid office in place of a form I needed to sign. My question is if this is a violation of FERPA. I know I can't sue for a FERPA violation, but how can I report this? I am unaware of how many students received this file, and I want to resolve this before someone can use this info for malicious purposes. Furthermore, can I get in trouble for possessing this data? I backed up the file for evidence before they deleted the email from my account.

    submitted by /u/Wauwreally
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment