• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 3, 2020

    Legal Advice - My wife’s ex husband claimed one of our children on his taxes without our knowledge

    Legal Advice - My wife’s ex husband claimed one of our children on his taxes without our knowledge


    My wife’s ex husband claimed one of our children on his taxes without our knowledge

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    My wife's ex husband claimed one of our two kids on his tax return without my wife's knowledge or permission. She has never told him that would be okay, she never signed the legal form, my wife is the custodial parent, and he is almost $30k in arrears.

    When only found out because our return was denied, and we confronted him. After giving us the runaround, he told us that he did it because he didn't want to have to owe this year, and that any return he got was going to go to their previous marital tax debt. (He led us to believe if he were to have gotten a return it would have been minimal)

    Then, one morning we see that the OAG has deposited $1700 into our account, and he subsequently emailed us asking us to return the money to him because it was his return. We also realized that he was awarded $500 extra in the stimulus program that was supposed to go to us because he claimed a child on his taxes.

    This means not only did he illegally claim a false deduction, he was also awarded our stimulus credit for one of the kids, he lied to us about where the return was really going, and he used what is essentially our money to pay his child support debt, so his arrears were credited $1700 because they were paid with our tax credit.

    We have filed a report with the IRS for false deduction, but is there any recourse here? He is ignoring any communications about amending his taxes, or any of the rest of this. In my view, he's stealing from us and resolving his debt with our money. Advice?

    Edit: location is Texas

    TL;DR wife's ex stole our tax credit and used it to pay his taxes and unpaid child support

    submitted by /u/t_ste5k
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: SIL Suing for WD after ex's OD Cook Co IL

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    Link to previous post: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/gca7zo/estranged_husband_overdosed_after_our_last_court/

    I was initially going to wait to update until I had completely resolved the matter, but with court postponed until July I figured I'd go ahead.

    In my original post I did not mention that I work for a synagogue and am in the process of becoming a rabbi because it did not feel germane at the time. However, my entire congregation learned of my situation in real time, because the process server rang my doorbell in the middle of me reading Torah during Shabbat services on Zoom. By Saturday night I had received several offers of pro bono representation. Interestingly, because I refused to admit the unmasked stranger demanding entry to my residence, he left the summons without me signing for it, so there are now three distinct grounds for dismissal. My attorney is also pursuing sanctions against her counselor.

    I cannot adequately express my gratitude to those of you who commented on my original post. You armed my prefrontal cortex with adequate ammunition to keep my amygdala at bay. I suppose "thank you" will have to suffice. Stay safe, be well, and best wishes to you all.

    submitted by /u/Resident-Gain
    [link] [comments]

    My rapist sent me an Instagram DM confessing to raping me 7 years later. The prosecutor still refuses to press charges. What can I do?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    For the sake of anonymity, i am going to keep this long story short. I was raped in college by a man i did not know and did not ever express interest in. He followed me home from a bar and snuck into my building and waited until my male friend who walked me home that night (to get away from him) left my building to come bang on my door. At the time I was an 18 yr old white female and this was a smallish college town in the south.

    I had a lot more evidence than typical campus rape cases (witnesses/text messages/rape kit) and this was not the type of guy that made one horrible mistake - if nothing happened i knew he would 10000% do it to another girl which is why i felt it was my responsibility to try to do something.

    By the time the DA finally officially told me they weren't going to do anything 2 years later, because "it's difficult to prosecute when alcohol is involved", it was too late for me to pursue a civil suit. It might be worth noting that the man comes from money, and a lot of it. I also found out they never analyzed my rape kit, let alone investigated the crime scene. There were few other things that were pretty sketchy about the police investigation /DAs handling of the case, but I can't get too specific on here. It kind of felt like they were doing everything in their power to not prosecute, and there's literally nothing on his record to show for it, not even a dropped charge.

    It took me a long time to truly move on and accept that I did what I could, but i finally did. And then a week or so ago, 6 1/2 years later, I realized I had unread message requests on Instagram from a month prior and saw I had something from him (we were not Instagram friends). There were various messages in a row that clearly demonstrate he is not well mentally, but more importantly at the end he said "so I guess i raped you. I won't do it to anyone else ever". I was shook.

    I sent it to the DAs office, who were utterly shocked and the next day said they'd get back to me in another week but that I "shouldn't get my hopes up because this kind of stuff is really complicated and difficult to prosecute". While they haven't told me officially yet that they aren't going to prosecute, I know in my gut it's not going to happen. They'll find an excuse.

    So i know i need a lawyer so please don't give that to me as advice. I am posting this question to see if anyone's ever been through anything similar and knows of nonprofits/resources/pro bono lawyers that might be able to help. I can't sue him (statute limitations) and I can't really sue the government (uphill battle), but I also can't just let this go again. If there's anything I've learned recently It's that things/systems don't change by staying quiet.

    What can i do to both get a mark on his record and shed light on the justice system that failed me and I'm sure many others?

    submitted by /u/keelsh01
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment over 100°F for the past few weeks. (Ohio)

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    For the past weeks it's been quite warm in Ohio. I live on the 4th floor of a my apartment building, and my AC has been non-functional the whole time. This past week it's been in the 90s on the ground and about 15° hotter on my floor. With my asthma it's made my unit difficult to breath in.

    I had first notified my Landlord back in January when we had a heat snap and I noticed the air was the same temperature after a few hours. They informed me that they won't do any service on AC units till there are 3 consecutive days of 80°. Fast forward to April and we've been getting consistent 80° days with my unit in the 90s. I submitted a service ticket and did not hear anything. I follow up with a phone call a week later and they told me they will be looking at all the units in the complex. They look at the unit and partially recharge the refrigerant. It barely works for about 4 days. I submit another ticket and they say that they are waiting on more refrigerant. I follow up with emails daily till last Friday when they inspected the unit and informed me they have to replace the whole system. The soonest a contractor can come out is this coming Saturday.

    This week it's peaked at 112° outside and 104° inside according to my thermometer (it records the high and low of the day). If they are unable to repair it this Saturday and there are further delays, what are my options?

    submitted by /u/Throwaway614over100
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal for a tattoo shop owner to forewarn other tattoo shop owners about customers who duck out on payment? Kentucky.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:35 AM PDT

    We've got a customer trying to press charges on our shop for refusing to refund her deposit. It's posted all over the shop and in the paperwork. She bullied us into refunding her anyway claiming she could bring our business down. So we warned a fellow and friend artist about her refusal to follow shop rules and now she's claiming she can sue us for sharing personal info.

    He's never done work for her, gave her a full refund, and barred get and the boyfriend she sent to intimidate him, threaten him, into giving her the refund.

    The only info we gave was her name, that she was blacklisted for threatening, intimidation and not complying with shop rules.

    Edit; her boyfriend is slandering the owner, claiming we were open during shut down and we weren't; we were working on a project while closed, we build cosplays as well.

    Edit, again; fixed the text

    submitted by /u/lycanfemmefatal
    [link] [comments]

    Let my people poop

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:51 AM PDT

    I work at a car wash that is connected to a Mobil station. The two business share a pair of gendered bathrooms that are located in the Mobil station. Recently I had an employee of the gas station tell me I was not allowed to defecate on the premises. At times the car wash demands 13 hour shifts of employees. I know that this violates OSHA regulations. I'm asking for advice on how to resolve the situation.

    submitted by /u/KellentheGreat
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor is threatening to take me to court because water from my aerobic system gets on her plants when the wind blows.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    I live in a rather large HOA neighborhood in North East Texas. It is a requirement that each home has an aerobic septic system. Yesterday our neighbor behind us complained that our septic sprinkler has gone off several times and that it is spraying into her yard. No big deal! We adjusted the sprinkler head spray distance and my husband walked near the fence line to make sure it did not spray him as the sprinkler rotated.

    Today she said that it is still spraying into her yard and ruining her flowers. When I told her we calibrated it and double checked to make sure it didn't cross (or even come within 5 ft of) the fence line, she said that her plants still get wet if the sprinkler is running and the wind blows and that if we don't get it fixed that she will take us to court.

    By law our aerobic system is inspected 3x per year and we have records of each passing inspection. Are there any other documents I need or actions I should take to protect myself if she does choose to take us to court? I can prove passing inspections but I am not sure how I would prove that we calibrated the sprinkler head or prove that the sprinkler does not actually spray her yard.

    submitted by /u/-imposter_syndrome-
    [link] [comments]

    Parents destroyed a sports bike payed in full by myself

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 02:24 AM PDT

    Okay so recently I purchased a 2018 Suzuki gsx250r white bike. My parents weren't fully aware that I was getting a bike and but were aware I was getting a vehicle.

    I saved up every bit of cash from birthdays and Christmas and working at subway for two years and had enough that I could pay it in full in cash. The bike costed a total of 4,500 which I know it isn't much compared to other types of vehicles but I got it on my own by walking to and from work.

    When I got the bike I had my grandma take me to the Suzuki dealership and under who owns it I had my grandmother co sign the paperwork along with me being the primary owner of the bike.

    I then went to the dmv and got the training booklet and signed up for classes on my off days and went to 3 extra ones after I met the requirements of taking the test.

    I took the test and got my endorsement and got the bike and stuff registered and insurance for it that I pay every month considering I don't pay rent and I only pay for the insurance and the gas money.

    I parked it in my grandmas garage due to hers being cleaned and living right next door.

    My dad was going through my bank account because it's under a different connection and saw I withdrew the money and asked where it went.

    I showed them the bike and he smashed the windshield slashed the tires stabbed the gas tank on the bottom and cut the seats also denting most of the bike.

    Is there a way I could have him cover the damages or pay for a new bike if it's in fixable. Note I didn't put down a payment plan or finance it and I'm 17

    Edit 1: Previous to me buying the bike I asked if he could cover a down payment on it while I paid the cost of it and pay him back in time.

    He said he wouldn't pay the down payment on a motorcycle or a bike but he would for a car.

    I declined and he never brought it up hence me saving for it in full. I couldn't afford a down payment and then make the payment after that without the added stress of getting and maintaining.

    I asked my grandma for her opinion and she said to pay for it in full and she would have my uncles transport it safely.

    Under the part of it being in her garage this is due to my household not having one and it was to keep it out of the rain.

    I have videos of before the bike being damaged and pictures of the aftermath along with a video of him destroying it.

    I talked to him when he woke up and asked for the money for repairs if it was repairable or money for a new one.

    He declined and I expressed my interest in creating a police report and he said he would. I asked for the end of June since I had no vehicle transportation to and from work and he said that he could get it to me by the end of June

    I spoke to my insurance and they won't cover it since it wasn't an accident but rather a intentional damage. My insurance will only cover crashes not stuff such as above and any modifications to it.

    They advised a court since the bike is under my grandmothers name.

    Lastly my grandmother offered to help in terms of a legal case since it was and is under her name. However the court costs and such would be much more than if my dad decided to pay it.

    I didn't hide the bike in any intention and I wasn't told I couldn't get one. Just that the cost of one wouldn't be helped out in any way.

    My dad didn't think I would save up to get one since I'm a impulsive buyer and thus never thought I would get one. Again no restrictions were placed that I couldn't buy it just that I'd be on my own

    Edit 2: sorry misrepresentation on my part. A police report is filed. He said he would pay by the end of the month in exchange for not having to go to court over it.

    submitted by /u/hakxnenc
    [link] [comments]

    My “roommates” have put our landlord into a position where she may lose her house. Looking for some guidance before we all get evicted by the bank.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:40 AM PDT

    For context, we live in Dupage County in Illinois. Apologies, but there is a lot to explain here. So, the people living on the second floor of my landlord's home have been pushing our landlord and myself and my girlfriend over the edge for the past several months. They leave dirty dishes and food everywhere, toys from their kids are all over, and the often leave food out that our cat gets into. They are also 1-2 months behind on rent, which is not the first time this has happened. Our landlord is finally fed up and has asked them to leave which they have refused. Our landlord went down to the courthouse and got an eviction form hoping that would be enough to make them leave. However, today the "roommates" called the cops to the house. They showed the police the non-working washer, AC unit, and dishwasher. They also noted that they do not have a lease, but they do receive mail at the residence and their 11 year old child goes to school in this district. The police have since issued a ticket to our landlord forcing her to get a renters license and are giving her 30 days to fix all the non working appliances. On top of all this, the mortgage out on this house has a clause that prohibits the house from being rented. I'm really at a loss here. If she gets the rental license then she could lose the house. Where can we start so that our landlord doesn't lose the house and make us all homeless?

    submitted by /u/PrecooledShark
    [link] [comments]

    My daughter ran away, detective says I can't go look for her (USA Georgia)

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:51 AM PDT

    My 17 year old daughter ran away and we called the cops. Spent a couple hours with them, they left, then we walked around the neighborhood talking to neighbors. The cops are on the case, but we get antsy and look around at the gas stations, waffle house, motels etc. We were spring her picture and asking anyone, we got a teenager that seemed like he knew something, but then the detective called my wife.

    The detective asked my wife if she was getting in the way of her investigation. My wife said yes (we're out looking for our fucking kid!!!!)

    And she basically said that if we continue looking, we are impeding their investigation, as in, it's a crime for us to look for her.

    Is this legal??

    submitted by /u/suddenimpulse01
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor cut down my tree while I was out of town

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:36 PM PDT

    This happened in Philadelphia, PA. I have been staying with my family outside the city for the last two months since covid struck, and today I got back since I was asked to return to work. I found that a tree in my yard had very recently all the branches cut off and left in my yard and another very large tree that wasn't from my yard had been cut down and all the debris stacked in my yard as well.

    My nagging old lady of a neighbor had previously complained to me about how the tree dropped leaves in her yard and that I needed to cut it down. I told her that I wasn't going to cut down a living tree, but that I could try to make sure that the tree didn't go into her yard.

    This is my first summer living here, so I wasn't sure how big this tree got since it's actually a smaller tree starting to grow from a stump. The tree seems to have gotten quite large since I've been gone since dozens of fairly large branches were cut off. I was unable to take care of the tree since I was out of town, but I do have someone come mow the lawn. He mowed yesterday and told me the tree and everything was normal, so she did this today.

    Unfortunately I don't have direct evidence that she did it, and I haven't been able to file a police report since police don't appear to be responding to these types of calls with the riots going on. Beyond cutting down my smaller tree, there is a ton of debris in my yard from a sawed down tree that I'm going to have to pay to get removed.

    I'm kind of at a loss for what to do next. The neighbor is also known for reporting you for anything in your yard which you'll get a $75 ticket for from the city. I would like to avoid getting a ticket while I try to remove everything. Can I have her cited?

    submitted by /u/Contribution-Old
    [link] [comments]

    CA - Help! Landlord says I have to get rid of my service dog!

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Northern CA. My landlord is trying to make me get rid of my service animal! We've lived here for over 2 years without any problems. I gave my landlord all of my dog's paperwork the day I signed the lease.

    My landlord says that since my dog isn't on the lease, and because he owns less than 4 units and lives in 1 of them that he can "deny my request for a service animal". Is this true? It's true I didn't put my dog on the lease, but I didn't know I had to. And I have plenty of text messages where my landlord acknowledges that I have him, and even calls him by his name. Since we've been living here so long without issues, and he's known about my dog the entire time, how can we put a stop to this???

    submitted by /u/norcaltemp
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor has gone go missing. We had a key to her house.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    Corrected title: Neighbor has guns go missing.

    Our neighbor here in New Mexico reported to the police that she was missing a cache of guns. Unaware that she had guns, we have had a neighborly key to her house for some time. Because of that, we are now unwittingly involved in the investigation. I returned her key, but only after we learned of her report.

    The cops have come by, asking about the key and for personal information. Obviously, this makes us nervous. So, a couple of questions:

    Could they show up with a search warrant?

    If we have to hire a lawyer, can we hold the neighbor liable for expenses?

    submitted by /u/Type2Pilot
    [link] [comments]

    I took my car to the mechanic and they replaced two parts on my car. The car wasn’t fixed and now it needs a new engine. Is my mechanic liable?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    US/Missouri

    submitted by /u/SpatialPigeon
    [link] [comments]

    Escrow Check Being Withheld

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 04:58 PM PDT

    I deposited an escrow check I got back after a house fell through and my bank didn't accept it due to "confidential reasons". I have been told 4-5 completely different things as to why they won't take my check. First was that my wife and I both didn't sign it. They said they would send us a legal copy to sign, it never came. Then they said that the bank backing the check told them not to accept it because it wouldn't clear. My real estate agent laughed because they have millions in their escrow account according to him. Now they're telling me they can't tell me why because of "compliance issues". What the f*#k?!

    The customer service at this bank is worse than Comcast and that's saying something. What do I do?

    submitted by /u/mypoopisntnormal
    [link] [comments]

    An insurance claim is being filed against me for an accident I wasn't in

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:51 PM PDT

    This happened a couple months ago. I was on my way to work, and the roads were slippery because it had just rained. I was driving straight down a steep road (Route 1), just under the speed limit. There was a white car that was coming from the road that stemmed off of Route 1. The driver didn't stop or yield to me at all, they just turned onto Route 1, jumping right in front of me. I tap my brakes hoping not to hit them, (and I didn't!) but because of the slippery roads and my crappy brakes, my car ended up skidding and sliding, which forced me into the grass halfway and in the road halfway.... facing the opposite direction of traffic. The white car ended up getting away from the scene. A blue car that was driving behind me got to stop in time to not hit me. But, a soccer mom SUV that was behind the blue car, panicked and swerved into the grass I was also in, to not hit them. The point is, NOBODY HIT ANYBODY. Everybody and their cars were fine, it's just that the SUV had gotten some slight damage on the underside from rushing into the grass. The police officer that came to investigate the scene said himself that I wasn't involved in this accident, and the accident only involved the SUV. So fast forward a couple months later, and I get a letter in the mail saying that I owe the SUV's insurance company $5,575 for the damages to their car. I know this is fraudulent, because NOBODY HIT ANYONE, and I was NOT involved in their accident. I'm afraid of being sued/taken to court about this matter. How do I go about this? All I know is that I am absolutely not paying that amount. I live in northern Virginia if it helps anything.

    submitted by /u/dntmtter
    [link] [comments]

    I outed my rapist on social media and now i’m getting anonymous threats about my closed case

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:43 PM PDT

    a couple years ago i was ganged raped. i went through two years of court proceedings and they took guilty pleas. one is in prison still and the other only served a couple of days.

    well today i finally spoke up on social media to warn others in my area about them. now an anonymous account is sending me messages saying something about retaliation law and double jeopardy.

    what does that mean? did me exposing my rapist make me liable? or mean that they can go to court again for it? i'm so confused and stressed out

    submitted by /u/900020930
    [link] [comments]

    Invested $15,200 into a non-accredited fine artist apprenticeship; Lackluster instruction & pressured into assisting with yardwork and construction onsite.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 02:42 PM PDT

    Background: I was a young, starry eyed aspiring artist several years ago. I worked for 2 years and lived with my parents to save up enough money to study under a wildlife artist that had long been a hero of mine.

    Fast forward: I signed up for the full-time apprenticeship program in MN and was quickly faced with lackluster mentorship. My instructor would come and go as he pleased, sometimes not provide instruction at all. To make matters worse, he had myself and several other classmates assist with various laborious tasks around his newly formed school. I assisted with tree removal, installing sheet rock, and miscellaneous maintenance. All the while, he said that these were necessary tasks to keep tuition costs, 'low.' I even designed and provided the school's current logo at no cost.

    By the time I had quit, I had already invested over $15k in hopes that conditions would improve. They never did. Is there any legal recourse? This was both emotionally and financially devastating.

    Here are the terms that I had previously signed:

    By signing Below, I understand and agree to the above terms and conditions of (art school). I agree to hold harmless (art school), its employees, volunteers, and (art school) building, as well as other persons connected with (art school), from all liability relating to any damage I sustain by reasons of my registration or participation or use of equipment or facilities therein. I certify that all information in my application, including my Statement of purpose and portfolio, is my own work, factually true, and honestly represented.

    TLDR; I was scammed by a charismatic artist figure who provided lackluster services and received free labor from nai'ive children.

    Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/IchabodKane
    [link] [comments]

    Escrow did not pay my homeowner's insurance despite adequate warning. Can I pay it myself to maintain coverage and request disbursement to myself from my escrow?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:07 PM PDT

    LOCATION: Maryland, USA

    I see consumer financial bureau guidance on Error Resolution Notices and have one written up that I plan to mail tomorrow morning. Despite me notifying the loan servicer last week, they claim my "resolution ticket for payment is still pending in their system and I should give it at least one more day".

    The problem is that my insurance expires tonight at midnight and I'd like to maintain coverage. Can I pay out of pocket and request the payment amount to be disbursed directly to me from my bank? I'd rather not risk the place burning down and me ending up homeless or something...

    The only legal guidance I can find is that Escrows are only required to pay out when the loan has been fulfilled in full or the money is moved to another escrow. All resolution guidance I can find shows that I should mail the error resolution notice ASAP and then... wait... I guess... with no coverage?

    submitted by /u/zr0z
    [link] [comments]

    Husband threatened to divorce. About to buy house and have a baby. Advise please!

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    I live in Arizona and have a baby. My husband and I are about to purchase a $500,000 house and he just told me today he thinks we should get a divorce and not purchase the house. A few hours later he changed his mind and decided he wants to work on things. My questions are:

    1. The loan is in my name for the house, but he will be on the title. Am I going to be totally screwed if we get a divorce because he's not on the loan too?

    2. He is emotionally abusive. Should I start writing down instances of abuse in case I need to show a judge for custody reasons?

    3. Should I open up a separate bank account and start putting money away in it? I'm the primary breadwinner and am concerned he's going to completely take me for everything I have.

    submitted by /u/ilovebeandip
    [link] [comments]

    Ex wife sent child over with tracking watch

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:22 PM PDT

    Per the Utah state code, my partner gets 4 weeks of extended parent time with his 5 year old son. 2 weeks of this is "interrupted" and his ex wife is entitled to his normal parent time for those 2 weeks.

    After extensive fighting, wherein she refused to put his parent time dates on their calendar, used multiple gas lighting tactics and then threatened to reduce his parent time by 1 hour for every hour that passed that he didn't comply with her list of demands, she finally agreed to a 10 am pick up. At pick up, she did not show up at the location. Police went to the house to see what was going on.

    Police spoke with her, attempted to get her to give the child to his dad, and eventually got her to agree to turn him over 9 hours later. Once the police left, she texted him saying "so I guess you aren't coming to get (kid) at 10 AM?" As if that ENTIRE thing had not just happened.

    A detective was assigned to the case and she is now being charged with 3 counts of custodial interference. This is not the first time- its the 3rd. The first 2 times the charges were dismissed. This time they rolled the 2 previous charges back in.

    So today kid goes to moms house. There was actually a lot of concern that she would once again refuse to give him back.. after the 3 hour visit the son comes home wearing a kids smart watch- programmed with video and phone calling, texting, and a GPS tracker. Since the actual phone is with her, there is no way to disable location tracking or anything.

    Kid spent the whole drive back to dads house talking to him mom on his watch and texting her. Then for the first hour back at dads, he just cried and cried when we tried to tell him to remove the watch because it was 9 pm and past bedtime. The court order specifies a virtual visit every other day "at the request of the child." To date, he has only really requested it a few times and dad has suggested it a few times as well. The second the watch showed up, suddenly it was tantrums and hysterics about needing to talk to his mom every minute.

    Now that the watch is off, it is turned off and placed away and won't be given back to the child until he goes back to mom's house.

    Is this any kind of legal issue? Can you send a tracking device on your child to the other parents house? Or attempt to disrupt the visit by calling and texting every few minutes?

    submitted by /u/lorabore
    [link] [comments]

    [NYC] Mother has failed to pay rent for 4+ years, am I able to succeed ownership of the apartment without the debt?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    Hope everyone is staying safe during these crazy times.

    TL;DR : Mother hasn't paid rent in 2 years while I lived under her, I previously paid the rent when she moved away until she forced my horrible brother to move in with me. Can I take ownership without the debt she's accumulated?

    [NYC] Rent Stabilized 3 BR Apartment. The price she currently pays for is an unbelievable steal. I am very comfortable with this apartment after living 20+ years and honestly, would save me a massive amount of money if I took ownership and paid bills on my own. About 4 years ago my mother decided to pack up and move out of state but kept the apartment in her name. For 2 years I had paid the bills on my own, directly to the landlord (I have receipts), while the apartment was still in her name. Apparently the landlord never wanted to put me on the lease.

    She returned about two years ago with my younger brother [~20] who, in simple terms is very destructive. He's smokes indoors, invites massive amounts of friends, and is a total slob. Due to this, she said she will take ownership again, and pay off the rent because my brother will be living there while she had another place to stay (sisters) while she looks for houses out of state. Here and there, she would ask for help on a bill or two and I had no problem paying that. This went on for two years.

    Today during a major apartment hunt I was visited by the super, who presented me a blank envelope with a breakdown of all payments since March 2018. $0 in payments and massive debt. I am unsure how she's managed to let this go for so long, but the leasing office is incompetent to say the least. With the current eviction freeze, I'm sure that'll be the final warning. I haven't confronted her about the lack of payments yet.

    As the sole income in the household & only person who's paid anything in over 4 years: I'm wondering if I can take ownership of the apartment without worrying about paying all that due rent? or is my only financially sound option is to jump ship and find my own place?

    Also, before anyone asks. I am currently looking for studios/1BR for $2,000 range, currently, the apartment is 3BR for $1000.

    Also, I understand this may end up boiling bad blood with family. But at this point, she's about to get me evicted without telling me and she's unaware of my apartment search.

    submitted by /u/ThrowRA92299
    [link] [comments]

    Florida apartment tenant, legal to install hidden cameras?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:49 PM PDT

    I have an apartment I am leasing here in Florida. I suspect foul play by the maintenance man. Namely, he rummaged through my stuff, in particular some rifle magazines, in my bedroom walk-in closet, that I had arranged very particularly, and it caught my eye immediately that they were out of place as soon as I got home from work. He had been in my apartment earlier that day to fix some stuff (he neglected to fix it and said he did, but that's not criminal eh).

    My question is. I understand Florida is a 2 party consent state. I also understand that if you have hidden cameras outside a property, you must provide written notice. Is there any law preventing me from hiding a few nest cameras in my apartment? Ideally, facing my bedroom closet filled with firearms and firearm accessories [safely stored](which has no fuse box, furnace, etc for him to have a reason to wander in there), and my kitchen cabinets where I keep various medications that certain people would be inclined to steal/abuse/sell.

    I was given the advice to put the cameras in plain sight as a deterrent, but I live in an apartment complex that is a community of maybe 1/2 to 3/4 older and vulnerable people. I am one of the rare people in their 30's, and frankly if the maintenance staff isn't merely incompetent, but crossing the line into immoral or criminal activities, I want to make this known to the community and the people in charge. I wouldn't feel good about saving my possessions and preserving my privacy if they're just gonna turn around and do it to someone else.

    TLDR; as the sole tenant leasing an apartment in Florida, can I place hidden cameras in my bedroom and kitchen, video and audio, without breaking any laws? The lease agreement does not specifically prohibit this.

    Sincerely tried to research this myself and found so much ambiguous information. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

    submitted by /u/Corporeal_form
    [link] [comments]

    Just got raise, but was then told due to our new HR contract with Paychex any employee who talks about raises or wages will be terminated, this isn’t legal right?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    What the title says, so I recently asked for and received a raise, but my office manager also responded by telling me any employee caught talking about wages or raises we can be fired per my companies contract with Paychex, is this legal? Also, they said now if we're more than five minutes late we'd be docked 30 min. I didn't sign anything agreeing to this by the way, just the company I guess. I'm in NY by the way.

    submitted by /u/gotskating
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment