• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 7, 2020

    Legal Advice - Uncle recently died, his house is indicated in a trust document to be passed on to me. His roommate hasn't made any mortgage payments since his death, and is lawyering up.

    Legal Advice - Uncle recently died, his house is indicated in a trust document to be passed on to me. His roommate hasn't made any mortgage payments since his death, and is lawyering up.


    Uncle recently died, his house is indicated in a trust document to be passed on to me. His roommate hasn't made any mortgage payments since his death, and is lawyering up.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 08:02 AM PST

    US, Oklahoma

    To begin, I was informed by a police department chaplain last Saturday that my uncle had passed away in late January. I am the only surviving next of kin on his side of the family, and have been handling his cremation.

    The house he lived in is held by my grandmother's trust estate, and I am the last surviving member named in the trust. It is stated in the document that in the event of his death, the property and it's contents are to come into my possession. I have not been able to find my uncle's will, and I have no knowledge that he has ever completed one.

    My uncle, at the time of his death and presently housed two roommates. One is my late mother's old boyfriend, whom I have known most of my life, and cared for my mother until her passing. He moved in with my uncle shortly after my mother passed last year.

    The other is a man, I'll call him M, who my uncle was close friends with, and has lived in the home for about two years.

    The mortgage hasn't been paid since my uncle's passing, and will go into foreclosure if the account is not made current by the end of this month.

    I cannot possibly pay that and also pay rent for the place I am currently living in.

    I have no indication on whether the current occupants can pay, and M is lawyering up.

    My current makeshift plan is to vacate this apartment and move in to the house before the end of the month. The house will go into foreclosure if not caught up by the end of this month.

    Where do I even begin?

    submitted by /u/legalthrowaway2233
    [link] [comments]

    Kid put his stuff in my yard; ran over it with my lawn mower; mom wants me to pay.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 10:48 AM PST

    So my yard goes pretty close to the neighbor's concrete pad where they have a basketball court set up. Neighborhood kids always go there to play and usually leave their bikes and things on my grass. It's not that big of a deal except I have had to ask them to move there stuff several times when I'm mowing.

    This is the first time I've mowed this year and the grass is a few inches higher than it should be. Anyway, a kid comes over and I'm mowing but he still puts the basketball he brought with him down in my grass.

    I get to the basketball and just decide I can nudge it with the front of the mower and out of the way. I made eye contact with the kid several times waiting for him to move it before I got there and he never did so I figured "whatever, it'll roll."

    Well I bump it with my mower over to a section of mower grass and as I continue forward past where it was there was a loud clunking and crackling like I'd just run over a rock. The rock turned out to be his iPhone.

    He was upset obviously that his phone was broken and I did feel bad but my thought was that he should've said something or moved it before I got there.

    He goes home and about thirty minutes later his mom shows up and tells me I broke it and am responsible for replacing it, that I should have told him to move his stuff because I am the adult.

    I tell her I'm sorry about the phone and politely decline her request. She just says "I promise you WILL be paying for it." And then storms off. I'm not really sure what her next course of action is or what she plans to do. She mentioned something about she has a friend that's a lawyer, so I guess she could take me to civil court?

    Am I legally responsible for replacing the phone? Would it be cheaper than court costs if she did choose to take me to court?

    submitted by /u/nickrashell
    [link] [comments]

    Found a hidden camera in the guest room we were staying in, we now have the SD card that was in it...

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 12:56 PM PST

    (I originally posted this in r/advice a few hours ago).

    A short backstory: I have been friends with the guy for 10 years and the girl for 24 years. My husband has known them and has been close to them for 5 years. They have a 1 year old in the house (that never sleeps or plays in the guest room- that will matter later). My husband and I were staying with some friends a few states over during this week. My husband decided to go to bed early one night and went into the guest room and noticed a Bluetooth speaker situated in the corner of the room, it had a perfect view of the entire room (including the bed). He inspected it closer (not sure why it intrigued him so much) but he found out that it had a camera inside. It was plugged into the wall and on the bottom a microSD card was inserted. He removed the card, unplugged the camera, and turned it to face the wall. The next night, he was looking for a cable to plug up an Xbox controller and found a microSD adapter hidden under a ton of game console cords. He told me about the camera last night before we went to bed, we are flying out early this morning. We never plugged the camera back in or turned it around. I realized that I've seen that speaker in every room I have ever stayed in with them (they have moved a few times and I've stayed with them alone multiple times and with my husband multiple times). It is always placed with a good view of the room. We both decided to take the SD card and adapter with us back home. I do feel awful because it is technically stealing. But we had no way to view what was on the card while we were there. The camera is not for the one year old or security reasons because they both have never ever mentioned it (and it was in their old house before the baby).

    Not really sure what to do now. When we get home, do we immediately see what is on the card? Do we toss the card and forget it happened, give them the benefit of the doubt (I really really don't think the girl is capable of doing this. The guy, however, I now feel like this may be possible)? I have no idea how to proceed in the situation because I've never experienced something like this. I trust this family with my life, I've grown up with them. But I saw the camera and card myself and had a bad feeling about it.

    TLDR; My husband and I found a hidden camera with a card in it in the guest room we were staying in. We stayed with good friends we usually trust completely. We took the card with us back home. Now what?

    UPDATE There were 150+ clips on the card, all about 5 mins each. The dates ranged from February to yesterday. The clips start the day guests arrive. One husband and wife in February, one female, her mother, and her baby in March, then me and my husband the day after they leave. No clips in between, it only recorded when people were staying in there. We determined the camera is motion activated, and can be controlled wirelessly. 75% of the clips are just triggered by the ceiling fan, or the dogs. And it's 5 mins of nothing. There were two clips of the camera following two different females in the room (it did have a limited range though). We only found two clips of another female (one of their guests) changing shirts, you did see her in her bra. There were two clips of a male guest (husband of the previously mentioned female guest) changing his pants. This husband also seemed to be interested in the speaker/camera for a clip, but doesn't do anything with it. My friend, the owner of the home and camera, we will call him Bob. We have about 5+ clips of Bob physically moving the camera to a "better angle". One clip, he tries to slyly hide it behind a picture frame beside it. This is a few hours after my husband initially found the camera and turned it away from the room and shoved it behind the picture frame (the first time my husband found it, he didn't unplug or remove the SD card, he did that the second time he noticed it moved itself). The last clip is of my husband removing the SD card and unplugging the device. There are no provocative clips of me or my husband, or of the guests staying right before us. HOWEVER, there are definitely clips missing. And we are pretty sure he could see the live feed on his phone or other device. We haven't confronted them yet. He KNEW my husband saw and moved the device. He probably has noticed the card is missing but hasn't said anything. We really are at a loss here.

    Sorry guys I've never actually posted on any sub and I'm on mobile, so I apologize if this all looks bad and I'm not replying properly!

    submitted by /u/throwRA0127
    [link] [comments]

    How can we resolve this weird Catch-22?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:27 AM PST

    My 18yo son is inheriting some investments. The governing trust (AZ) requires it to be put into a custodial account or trust until he is 21. Because he is 18 we cannot set up a custodial account, but because he is not 21, he can not receive it outright. What can we do to get out of this limbo? It looks like we will have to set up a simple trust with us (his parents) as trustees, and the investment account would be in the trust. How do we do that? Will it cost a lot of money to set up this trust?

    submitted by /u/whoateallthecheezits
    [link] [comments]

    Ex keeps taking me to court

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:00 AM PST

    My ex keeps taking me to court every 6 months for the last 3 years to family court due to our daughter. He refuses to try to make schedules or talk to me about his demands before going and makes up stuff as he goes. This is expensive, time consuming, and resulted in me losing jobs due to missing too many days due to court. I work in healthcare. What can I do? I live in Sacramento, CA?

    submitted by /u/Calm_Link
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord is showing my unit almost daily and is making me have my animals gone during showings

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 05:21 PM PST

    Me girlfriend and I rented a condo and signed a year lease about 3 months ago. Soon after moving in we learned the place we were renting was owned by a older lady who only rented her place because she couldn't afford it anymore. About a month in to our lease our landlord called us and asked us if we were interested in buying the unit as the owner wanted to sell as she needs the money. We are not in a position to buy and she is also asking for about 50k more than it's worth and isn't willing to budge. So I don't think there is any way it sells.

    For the last month and a half we have people coming to view to place 3-5 times a week at random times of the day. We get just 24 hour notice. We are being told we have to have our animals out of the house during the showing. That means trying to make last minute changes to our work schedule to make that work. Along with it being incredibly frustrating.

    We just want out of our lease or for them to stop showing if they aren't serious about selling. this has become a huge pain and something we did not sign up for.

    What can I do? What kind of ground rules can we set? It just doesn't seem right they can't jerk us around like this.

    Location: Washington state

    submitted by /u/unexpectedjob
    [link] [comments]

    (WA) Bought a house and seller took appliances that were included in offer

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:39 AM PST

    In Washington state.

    The offer included the fridge, washer, and dryer. I did the walk-through an hour before signing and the sellers were still there moving. All the appliances were there.

    I got the keys two days after closing and the appliances are gone! My realtor has contacted their agent but I'm curious how much negotiating power they have. The options were to either A) return/reinstall the ones they took, B) replace with comparable appliance (who defines 'comparable'?), or C) credit me $1750.

    I'd prefer a credit. My realtor said she was putting in 1750 and hoping for 1500. She didn't give me time to look up prices of appliances so I regret not asking for more. I don't know the age of their appliances but their fridge alone is worth $2400 new. Their washer/dryer set is 1500.

    She already messaged about the 1750 so we cant go higher but should I at least be pushing back and not accepting anything less than 1750? I'd expect the sellers don't have much negotiation power here but I also don't know in what ways this could backfire if I push on the 1750. Or, did I screw myself by signing before they left?

    submitted by /u/weijinglebells
    [link] [comments]

    I was poisoned by my partner... file a report?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 06:46 AM PST

    TX

    my fiance (who I live with) is controlling by nature. We have fought a lot about this..

    But he has been calling me an alcoholic. I was self medicating with wine and drinking up to a bottle of wine a day.

    He has given me ultimatums and I went to therapy (my therapist says she thinks I might not drink so much if the relationship was easier) but I also went to AA because he told me I needed help,

    It didn't take long before he started accusing me of meeting men at AA because I would get dressed up to go to the meetings. He also doesn't like me going to a therapist either.

    I have been 35 days without a drink of alcohol. Things seemed to be improving. But a lot was because I wasn't traveling for work and I was really just his side kick and I wasn't causing issues.

    He had convinced me that I am an alcoholic and I am lucky he's stayed with me.

    I drank about a week ago and he found out and he was livid. He told me he couldn't take me drinking. I only had 2 glasses of wine…but it didn't matter to him.

    So I was back to not drinking.

    We have had a bottle of wine on the counter for all this time. Yesterday he went to work out and I opened it and poured myself a glass. I just did. On the second sip I thought wow…this tastes weird.

    I poured it out even more and saw all these bubbles coming from it and I realized he put soap and possibly granite cleaner in it.

    I was livid. So when he came back I didn't say anything but i told him I wasn't feeling well.. he said what's wrong with you? Did you drink something you weren't supposed to?

    I didn't say that I did. But he said what is going on in your brain? You are acting weird.

    So later before bed he siad I know you drank…and just FYI the reason you are sick is I put soap in your wine. Good luck with that diarrhea. I said you could have really hurt me. He said WOW — is that what you are going to do here? are you going to say I poisoned you? I said well you did…he said…no i'm teaching you a lesson. You need a lesson. A hard one.

    So I am wondering what to think. Is that a crime? I have been sick with diarrhea all night… but I'm obviously ok. Is this a crime? Or is this a spouse who is trying to help me?

    He also works in the medical world. It would not be a great headline for a doctor to be in trouble for poisoning their partner...

    submitted by /u/thedaythesquirrel
    [link] [comments]

    Dealership didn’t install my tires on correctly, resulting in my driver side tire flying off across 4 lanes of traffic and causing sever damage to my vehicle as I left the dealership. Advice?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 04:02 PM PST

    I went this morning to a Jeep dealership for a simple oil change and tire rotation. As I left, I drove maybe half a mile down the road when my front left tire flew off across 4 lanes of traffic. My Wrangler slammed to the ground on the rotor and slide about 30 feet to a stop. Luckily, I was not injured and nobody else was either.

    I called the police and they refused to file any sort of police report since "it wasn't an accident because no one else was involved." I called the dealership and they sent a tow truck. They towed my Jeep back to the dealership and said they're going to repair/fix all damage done to the vehicle and I don't have to worry about a thing. They then gave me a loaner car and sent me on my way.

    Any advice on how to deal with this issue? Anything I should be cautious about?

    I took photos and videos of all the damage. The front fender was bent, the fender flair was ripped off, the side step/rock slider was shattered in half, the rotor was ground down from sliding. That's the visible damage but I'm not sure what else could be broken that I didn't see. There's a photo I posted in the wrangler subreddit I'd you want to see the damage.

    submitted by /u/FiftyBands
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get rid of my dad

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:31 AM PST

    Hello, my dad has been abusive all my(16m) life. When I was under 12 yrs old he would beat me multiple times a week. He has since stopped but is now emotionally abusive. Constant berating me and my sisters and my mom. Pretty much just yelling at us every fucking day over how were a dysfunctional family and how he is doing everything for us and we do not appreciate him. We have all tried to get him to go to the doctor because we are 100% sure he has some problem. He refuses to go and is just becoming more verbally/emotionally abusive. Last year my sister tried to kill herself because of him. He put up security cameras all around the house and watches them every day. My sisters and I are not allowed to close our doors to our room and he has a camera that is not in our rooms but its facing It and has a full view. I even heard him talking about putting up cameras in our bedrooms and the bathrooms. Currently both my 2 sisters and I are in therapy because of him. He is always threatening to throw away or sell all of my stuff that I payed with my own money that I got from working at a job. My mom wants to divorce him but she is scared that he will get everything. How do we get him as far away as possible from us. Before anyone says to contact child protective services, we have, 4 times. They do not do anything. This is in Illinois

    Edit: thank you everyone for all of the great advice. I will be talking with my mom on how to move forward

    submitted by /u/sex-expert69420
    [link] [comments]

    My Mother Abandoned My 12yo Brother

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 03:50 PM PST

    Hello, I'm new at this so I'll try to get straight to the point with my question. This is in Utah, US

    My mother has been a drug addict for 15 years, all of our family has tried to help but nothing has stopped it. She has 3 kids. My sister(19), my brother,(12) and I(23).

    During christmas she was acting strange while visiting family for Christmas dinner. She eventually started a fight and then left, going back home 30 miles away and leaving her son with me.

    He has lived with me before because she has a terrible life style and is homeless frequently along with the drug abuse. I had a baby about a year after he was staying with me. My baby was sick and was in the hospital for 3 months forcing us to live with my grandparent. We didn't have room for him and so he had to go back to his moms but at the time he was younger and okay with that because his mom would call him constantly and manipulate him. Making her house sound great along with false promises.

    Now, 2 years later she comes to christmas like I said previously, then leaves him. Currently I own a house and have plenty of room for him. So i take him to my house. I would get ahold of her and ask when she planned to come get him but the responses I would get weren't adding up and would just end up being excuses.

    I've enrolled him in school and have been doing the best I can at parenting him. He's a good kid but he has seen a terrible side of the world at a young age.

    It's now been 2 months and she is collecting the child support from his abusive father too buy drugs. I make just enough money to pay the bills but having him around has definitely added some stress.

    He has to wear glasses because his eyesite is terrible and he starts Jr high after the summer. It's hard to get him enrolled and to get him good health insurance without any guardianship.

    I know she will start to fight me when I want to take him but I know it's purely because she gets food stamps, housing, and child support for him.

    What can I do to get some type of permanent guardianship of him? What can I do for some type of financial aide if any at all? What do I do about the child support?

    THANK YOU!

    submitted by /u/Kyle_pls
    [link] [comments]

    Brother's friend (16M) raped me (21F)

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:09 AM PST

    Was asked to post this here.

    When I was home over the holidays my brother's friend (16M) raped me (21F). The short story is that I was sleeping off a hangover, he overpowered me.

    Now he has been dropping hints that he will report me to the police for raping him, a minor, unless I make myself available when I am home for the summer. Does he have a case? Can it be such that the law finds that both of us were at fault here?

    What can I do to protect myself? I am reluctant to go to the police unless it is 100% clear that I will not be in danger of being charged. For info the state where this took place is WA. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/throwrahodn
    [link] [comments]

    Our home is currently owned legally by my in-laws. We own everything inside the home and will be moving out unannounced due to abuse. Can they try to keep our stuff or block us from entering to pack? Are there any precautions we need to take legally before going back into the home?) (IL)

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 08:22 PM PST

    Our in-laws "gifted" us a home they were unable to sell for several years. We've lived there for about a year. Due to a horrific act of abuse, me, my wife, and our two kids left to stay with my parents in another state temporarily.

    All of the stuff in the house is under our name, paid for by our credit cards. They are under the impression we will be returning, but we will only be going back to pack our things. They do not have access to our home as our alarm will go off if they attempt to enter. A lot of our personal documents are there and we plan on going to grab those first without telling them. Once we have our legal docs (passports, SS cards, etc.) in our hands, we will let them know we are in the house so they don't call the cops thinking we are robbing the place. We are staying one night to pack the essentials for the kids. We will also have to return to pack up the entire home, which will take a few days with several people helping. My family will be coming to help us pack the house.

    My question is, can they kick us out/stop us from packing up all of our stuff? Can they call the police and have us arrested for trespassing? Are we allowed to record interactions if they show up while we are there?

    We have a couple of bills in our name but they were paying for gas, water, etc. We have lots of pictures up in the home that shows us living there, as well as texts from our in-laws calling it our house. We also have my wife's drivers license (I didn't get a chance to update mine with the new house address) with the address on it. My in-laws are vicious and vengeful, and will blatantly lie to police (they have a history of doing so) and will say things like we attacked them or were threatening them, etc. All we want to do is get our stuff and move on with our lives.

    I've never been in this kind of situation before and I would really appreciate any advice to set things up so we can protect our family from any further trauma. Thank you very much for reading my post.

    EDIT: by gifted I mean they have everything under their name, we lived there for free. No rent, no water/gas/electric bills.

    submitted by /u/jellykelly19
    [link] [comments]

    Leaving an alcoholic and need legal advice

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 02:51 AM PST

    I'm trying to leave my relationship with my boyfriend who is an alcoholic and mostly abusive.

    A year ago, I co-signed a car loan for him. Before that, he would constantly take my car without asking or forget to pick me up from work, etc. So I agreed to co-sign for his loan. He has threatened me multiple times that if I leave I will be stuck paying for his car because he will stop paying it. Is there any way to get out of this? More importantly, without him knowing.

    We have been living together 3 years, but the last year together, I never signed a lease. That was back in May of '19 and it was because I was trying to leave then and didn't want to be legally tied to the lease. He's told me before that if I leave, I will owe him rent because he has the lease with my name on it. Which makes me think he forged my signature. I can't find the lease in our apartment, so I don't know if he's lying or not. How do I handle this situation?

    And one last thing. My mother gave him my grandmothers diamonds to put in an engagement ring. I finally told her I wanted to move back home and she told me to make sure I get the diamonds. I have no idea where they are at. If they are in the ring already, am I entitled to take the ring? If they are not, and he refuses to give them back to me, what do I do?

    Thank you for reading this.

    submitted by /u/Swordbeach
    [link] [comments]

    University Refuses to Follow ADA

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 09:09 PM PST

    I go to rather old university in Philadelphia, but it's not very large. As I became recently more disabled, I've begun using a wheelchair part time. However, I am the only wheelchair user at this school. And the only one in years at that. This school is unbelievably inaccessible. And not for lack of money. My major studio is completely inaccessible by wheelchair. Now as this is Philadelphia, the buildings are very old. However, this one had recently been remodeled. In the past two years. And yet they knowingly refused to follow ADA standards, and now I, the only wheelchair using student, am paying for their negligence. Who can I contact to force them to comply with ADA standards? Can I report them to the city/state for inspection? I don't care about suing for money. I just want to get to class.

    submitted by /u/heathert7900
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord would not remove her belongings from the home that I am leasing. I have terminated the contract. How to proceed?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 04:22 PM PST

    So, yes, I posted days ago about how to get out of this lease. Immediately after signing she revealed her self to be batshit and it sent me for a loop. But we proceeded anyway.

    We were supposed to move in on friday but she had not packed anything in her house! We went to clean before the move in and she basically left it up to us to get everything packed and out. Told us to just put all her stuff in bags. She didn't even have boxes. It was like she had no intention at all to leave. We had to use our extras. She didn't help pack at all. We were scrambling to get into the house in time, as we had a team and trucks with all of our things ready to go. She did nothing! Except stand outside and destroy every framed photo from her marriage. Like we were scrambling and she was standing outside shattering glass all over the place. We would stop and have panicked conversations about how insane this situation was, but we signed the lease! Paid thousands! And we are packed, supposed to move in today type shit!

    We should have taken pictures and walked away without touching a thing but we were so shocked and panicked that we complied. And after we had packed bags and boxes for her, she told us there was no where for the stuff to go... She would mention a storage unit, but eventually admitted that she doesnt have one. And she's homeless... So the stuff would need to stay in the garage until people on craigslist show up to buy it. And at first it was just a few things that needed to go in the garage, whatever. That's fine. But it turned out the whole house was supposed to fit into the already packed garage.

    We stayed and worked to clear the house for hours before we broke down. We could work all weekend packing, but nothing was going to leave. And now we might be liable for having packed her stuff.

    I called this morning to terminate the contract, but intend to file a suit on monday. How do I go about it? Idk where to even start.

    submitted by /u/Boxtrucktosser
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord wants to rent a ‘den’ out as a bedroom

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 06:15 PM PST

    So I just moved into a master bedroom in a 2 bedrooms condo in Toronto , Ontario ,living with another person who's in the second bedroom . My landlord just informed me that someone is coming to check the unit apparently he wants to rent the 'den' out. It's a space with no door no window and only 5 sqm. Is that legal to rent a open space like that as a bedroom ? Many thanks !

    submitted by /u/joeytrouble
    [link] [comments]

    Breaking a "stranglehold" laundry contract in California

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 04:55 PM PST

    Background: the landlord has had a contract with a laundry service for about four years.

    The service has been terrible; a machine breaks down at least once a month, tenants are left with wet laundry, refund requests can be submitted but are never answered, repairs take 1 to 2 weeks to complete, request for new equipment are ignored, all other communications (phone, email, app) to the laundry service are ignored.

    Last year the contract was expiring. The landlord sent several email asking how to end the contract. None were answered. Several months before the end of the contract he received a notice that as per the last contract he was now automatically renewed for another five years.

    The contract specifies that no other laundry equipment can be on site and that the service will received a minimum of $120/mo for two machines.

    Are stranglehold clauses like this actually enforceable in California? Is poor service sufficient reason to claim the service isn't holding up their end of the contract? Can this contract be broken without spending thousands on lawyers? Can small claims court be used?

    submitted by /u/slamorte
    [link] [comments]

    A child from extramarital affair

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 10:43 AM PST

    About two weeks ago, a woman recently contacted my husband claiming her three month old son is his. If DNA tests prove that he is the father, I need to know how it will affect us.

    He and I don't have any children. I've worked hard to build up a savings and a future for us. I created a retirement plan for us. I'm the one that provides the health insurance, car insurance, home, etc. Everything that is ours was either mine prior to marriage or I worked hard for us to have now. I'm currently the primary provider in our household while he's back in school.

    My husband already said that he would want to participate in his son's life. The mother will probably want financial compensation. From what I understand, child support is based on the father's income so they can't take mine into consideration. But if he has to provide health insurance, would that mean I have to provide it since my husband is insured under me? Or would we just pay an estimate amount of half the cost?

    I honestly have more questions but I get too upset and can't articulate my thoughts. I've been trying to type this out for some time now.

    Any advise on what the expect, worst case scenario, would help me. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, I suppose.

    Edit: I forgot; I live in Arkansas.

    submitted by /u/burnaccount123456789
    [link] [comments]

    Potential coronavirus travel ban question

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:44 PM PST

    I'm a permanent resident of the United States currently going to school in Canada. I'm concerned that with the coronavirus outbreak, the US and/or Canada might put more limits on travel. I know the US can't bar entry to citizens, but do permanent residents have the same protections? I'm just asking so I can have some peace of mind.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/pazaboidena
    [link] [comments]

    Walmart Auto wrecked my car and I'm not sure what to do next.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 06:25 PM PST

    This takes place in a Florida Walmart Auto center. I was getting an oil change at Walmart and one of the employees crashed another car they were working on into mine and pushed it across the garage and into another car waiting outside the garage. It's more than likely totaled but still waiting for my insurance to check it out. No one was hurt so it's just property damage and loss of time for most of the day. I know Walmart will pay for the damage through insurance but I've been told by a few of my peers that I should file a suit against them but what would I even file for? I believe I can only get the FMV for the car if it's totalled and filing a suit would just be redundant, right?

    submitted by /u/Yammer60
    [link] [comments]

    How to involuntarily terminate father's rights when he's being accused of ten counts of sexual assaults against minors, one of which is his own daughter? I'm in a doozy of a situation.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 04:12 PM PST

    (Originally posted in r/legaladvicecanada)

    So, this is a doozy of a situation to say the least..

    But I'll do my best to cover all areas. This is about my daughter (4), her half sister and her best friend (both 15), and the biological father between the girls (38).

    In mid December of last year, "London" (the half sister) and her best friend called 911 and explained that London's father was forcing them to take meth and was sexually abusing them. The girls were immediately taken into care (the best friend is currently a foster child herself). This happened in Manitoba and London went back to her mother's house in Ontario a week later. She had only been living with her father for six months and her entire life was twisted upside down and ruined in that time.

    The father, "John", was only arrested for these crimes last Saturday. His estranged father in law has been telling me all this information because he wants to help me and my daughter and he's saved his grandchildren from John as well. John brutally abused his two step kids (boy 11/girl 15) for two years then they were sent to live with their birth father far away from him.

    John is getting a bail hearing on Tuesday to see if he'll be released on a promise to appear or sent to jail to await trail, which could take upwards to year. I just found out from London's mother an hour ago that London tried to commit suicide last night and she's currently getting diagnosed with PTSD. Her father raped her best friend and many many more horrible things. She's still actively suicidal. I want nothing more than to wrap my arms around this poor poor girl and tell her how much she's needed on this planet. How loved she is. How none of this is her fault. And I can't.

    I'm trying my hardest to involuntarily terminate his father's rights with our daughter, but it's been so fucking hard. He's in Manitoba, I'm in Alberta, and our current custody order is based in Manitoba. CFS told me that he's not allowed to be around anyone under the age of 16, but my order might supersede it and I might be forced to still allow him to see her or be in breach of my order. CFS said that I should get a lawyer in Alberta to try and get our custody case moved to my province as my daughter has been a resident of Alberta since she was a month old. But, legal aid has been fucking me around and sending me down a bunch of different tunnels that I don't see the light at the end of.

    I just want my daughter to be safe and far away from him without him ever being near her ever again. I want to help these girls. I want to stop blaming myself for all of this happening.

    Sorry if anything doesn't make sense. Like I said, it's a fckin doozy... But I'll also answer any questions in the comments anyone has.

    Everything's so fucked.

    submitted by /u/rebahaze
    [link] [comments]

    Can employer force you to use PTO due to coronavirus.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 09:12 AM PST

    So I work in ILLINOIS and the headquarters for my company is in Texas, we got an email saying if you travel to a county that has cases of the virus you have to take two weeks off work using PTO or unpaid. They want us to sign an addendum in our employee handbook stating this. I am curious if this is legal or not.

    submitted by /u/RodsAtNight
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Can the US military (reserves) withhold pay for days worked due to unsatisfactory performance?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 04:25 PM PST

    I'm in California, but I don't know if that's relevant since this is regarding the military.

    I'm in the US Navy reserves and my command recently got a new Executive Officer (second in command). She made it clear on her first day that if there is a drill weekend (the one weekend per month that we come in to work for Saturday and Sunday), where we had a task to complete and we didn't complete it, then she can mark us "present but non-participant unsat". According to her, this means we will be recorded as being present, but won't get paid. In the two drill weekends she's been here (4 days total), she's told us at least 5 times that this is something she will do.

    Is this allowed by the military? Is this legal when it comes to labor laws in general? She hasn't actually done it yet, but what could be my protections if there's a day where I don't complete something--or at least not to her satisfaction--and she decides to dock my pay? Would I file a complaint with the Department of Labor?

    I'm not sure what the procedure would be since this is the military (federal government).

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/jerdub1993
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment