• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 8, 2020

    Legal Advice - UPDATE - Kid put stuff in yard; ran over it with mower; mother wants me to pay.

    Legal Advice - UPDATE - Kid put stuff in yard; ran over it with mower; mother wants me to pay.


    UPDATE - Kid put stuff in yard; ran over it with mower; mother wants me to pay.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 04:49 PM PDT

    Thought I'd update you all since so many people offered advice in the original post yesterday.

    Brief summary of what happened: Neighborhood kid left his phone in my grass while I was mowing and I mowed it by mistake. The mother got upset and demanded I pay for it.

    Well she(mother) and son showed up at my door around noon and apologized. She said that she misunderstood what happened and thought that I'd done it on purpose to teach her son a lesson about leaving his stuff in my yard. I guess he explained to her it was his fault which I thought was commendable for someone his age. She told me that she just stressed about it because she is a single mother and doesn't really have the means to replace it at the moment and that if it was anything else she probably wouldn't have gotten so upset but he likes hanging out with other kids and that's how she keeps track of him.

    I told her about my spare phone (iPhone 7 his was a 6s). I also took the advice of some of the commenters that it might be damaging to just give it to him and that I should perhaps have him work for it. I have a detached garage and have been needing to clean it and told her if he wanted to help me I'd give him the phone.

    He instantly looked excited, I imagine he felt like he'd never get a new phone, and she acted very grateful and said he could help.

    Left and came back an hour later, just the son this time and we got started cleaning. Took about 4 hours, a lot of work but nothing too hard (he's just 12)

    I had a couple cords of firewood I wanted moved out and stacked into a rack and then a bunch of boxes I cut up and had him bag and carry to the curb, he swept, had a coke and a couple slices of pizza then got his phone.

    I had a talk with him about paying attention to his where his things are because it won't always work out like this.

    I also told him if he wants to mow my yard every weekend and his mom says he can I'll pay him $30 a week. (It will probably take him a couple hours)

    He again acted excited at the thought of making money and when I asked him what he'd spend it on he said games. We figured out new games would be about $60 and worked it out that I'd pay him $20 for 3 weeks then $65 on the fourth week so he could cover tax because it might be hard for him to save. The fourth week he will do an extra little chore to cover the five bucks, like sweep off the porch or walkway.

    I hope I've done the right thing and didn't make him think that everything just works out but I did my best to have him earn it. And hopefully showed an equal measure of kindness that he will carry with him. I also didn't want the mother to stress over replacing the phone as my mom was also a single mother and I know how tough it can be. My own son is just 2 so it was my first real opportunity to pass on some fatherly wisdom, which I hope is what I did.

    Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/nickrashell
    [link] [comments]

    Manager told coworkers I was suicidal and a “pill popper”, I brought it up and now I have no job.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 06:19 AM PDT

    (FL, USA)

    Yup, you read this crazy title correctly. Awhile back I had some major health issues and required a few surgeries to resolve things, and because of that I had to take some time off work. Management knew the situation, why I would be out and when I would return to work. One manager sent an email to my coworkers, without realizing I was also on the email chain, saying that I was in the hospital because I had popped some pills and tried to overdose and end it all; he said I may not ever come back to work, since I may not wake up. I only know this because 1) I was on the email chain and 2) MANY coworkers starting reaching out, very very concerned for me and saying they hoped I would be alright and recover. This all seemed so odd to me until I saw the email chain. I have NO clue what compelled this manager to do this, other than I know he was very mad with me taking short term medical leave, because he told me that. But being suicidal and overdosing was NOT at all true, I was just having another surgery. When I came back to work things were just awkward with coworkers, trying to explain that somehow what this manager said was not true, many people welcomed me back and said they couldn't believe I was alive - it was just so weird. I tried ignoring it but it really made the relationship with some coworkers a bit more awkward, as they really didn't know what to believe, because why would a manager make something like that up? When I finally had the confidence to ask some general questions about all this to the manager he was clearly annoyed, he did not want to talk about it, and oddly enough the next morning I came in I was told I no longer had a job. Even though my contract was good for another year, it was abruptly ended, after I brought up my concerns about this entire situation to this manager. I could not help but think these are somehow related. Even if they are not, and they had a legitimate reason to get rid of me and my job, what was said about my health issues, the lies that were told, I think should have never happened. And now I worry that once I leave work, what this manager could try putting in my file that may prevent me from working elsewhere in the company in the future. If they were willing to spread something so atrocious and untrue, what else would they do? I'm struggling to figure out what I should do, if anything. Do I just forget it and move on? Tell HR so that my side of the story is documented? I have the emails and numerous coworkers who would vouch for what they were told, both via email and what he said to them in person. Is there anything I can do? As I said, I just can't shake the feeling that me asking about what transpired, and seeing how annoyed that made him, that the very next day I'm unexpectedly told my position is over and ending early.... Any advice, even if it's not entirely legal-advice is welcome. Thanks for reading this in advance.

    submitted by /u/Serendipity-211
    [link] [comments]

    Child has known milk allergy, daycare gave milk, had anaphylaxis, taken by ambulance and hospitalized. Is daycare liable for medical costs?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    Child has a known, well-documented allergy to milk. Child goes to large daycare center (not small in-home daycare). There are several procedures in place to prevent exposure at daycare, including a placemat they use at every meal that includes their name, photo and states that they have a milk allergy.

    One of the teachers in their classroom gave milk resulting in an anaphylactic reaction that included difficulty breathing. They appropriately used an epi-pen (prescribed by a physician) and called 911. They were taken by ambulance to the hospital. She was treated and admitted to the hospital for observation and eventually discharged back home 10 hours later.

    I think the daycare should cover our hospital/ambulance expenses, minimally, but I'm not sure how to approach the situation. This occurred in Illinois, if that matters.

    EDIT: grammar.

    submitted by /u/Dairykilz
    [link] [comments]

    My mom rented out her condo to a mom and daughter 23 years ago. I want to cut ties to the condo so i can move on. Daughter is a nightmare and will only take the deed to the condo if we pay $250,000. Can i somehow just abandon this property?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 11:50 AM PDT

    Roughly 23 years ago my mom moved in with my father, she decided to rent her old condo to a friend who was a single mom who was going through some troubles at an extremely discounted rate. My mom passed away a year and a half ago leaving me this condo and our family home.

    I want to move on, and move closer to my wife's family out in Calgary. Unfortunately this condo is a sore sticking point as i am now responsible for the upkeep and management of the unit. Frankly the rent that is being paid for this unit is so stupidly low (not changed in 23 years), that i am losing roughly ~$500 dollars a month on utilities + condo fees + insurance alone right now.

    About 3 years ago the mother who was renting the condo passed away, her daughter who is now mid 20's occupies it. She unfortunately suffers from a few mental disorders, and since her mother passed she no longer takes her medication. She has some sort of case worker with Ontario's equivalent of the APS.

    6 months ago i went to the daughter and offered her the deed, she refused to accept it. Instead wanted $250,000 to accept the deed. The unit has been completely and utterly destroyed by her, broken doors, holes in the wall (apparently she has rage fits when she is not on her meds). The daughter knows the rules for the LTB extremely well, and if something isn't working right or i can't get it fixed fast enough she reports me to the LTB.

    I paid for new appliances less than 2 years ago and she has destroyed them. For example 4 months ago she claimed the fridge was broken i hired a repairman, who she kept denying entry until i was present. Repairman said the fridge door was forcefully broken off most likely by forcing it the other way.

    I have tried to get her evicted via the LTB on the reasons she is destroying the unit, harassing other people only to be rejected that i cannot remove someone who is mentally unwell and is on some sort of disability stipend.

    I am tired and frustrated by this, me and my wife just want out and are willing to just forfeit the money, but as far as i can tell i cannot just stop managing the property. Is there a way i can just cut ties?

    Sorry forgot location: Unit is in Sarnia, Ontario i live in Missuaga, Ontario.

    submitted by /u/RAThrowaway192912
    [link] [comments]

    The police ran a stop sign and hit my wife

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    I don't have much information at the moment, as this just happened. I'm a truck driver and out of the state So I can't get anymore information. All the information was relayed to me by my wife that called me crying as she was getting into the ambulance, and she's going to call me later when she gets a chance, but from what I do know as of now is:

    1. She did have her seatbelt on.
    2. She did not have a stop sign, but police did have a stop sign.
    3. The police did not have there sirens on.
    4. They t-boned her.
    5. Our car is insured, and she is on the car insurance.
    6. My car apparently caught fire, and I would assume that means it is totaled.

    What could/should I do. Should I just let insurance handle this, or can I, and should i try to sue the city or whomever this would fall on?

    Update: this happened in front of my fathers house. The store that's in front of the accident site got it all on camera. My father is friends with the owner, and the police are currently trying to tell him not to use his tapes. My father is with him right now, to see what he decides to do

    submitted by /u/usmcbush
    [link] [comments]

    RI - Cops Came Due To Missing Apple Watch Pinging To My House

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 08:11 AM PDT

    Location: Rhode Island

    This morning I get a knock on the door. A woman is there telling me that she her lost Apple Watch is pinging to my house, and asked if we found it. She was at her parent's house, which is one street over, and lost it. I explained no, we've not found it. She leaves.

    About an hour later a cop shows up, with her phone. He shows me that the Apple Watch is pinging to my house, and it is. He said the woman "doesn't want to press charges but just wants her watch". I have Apple products (but not a Watch) and know the Find My app can be off. I remind the police officer that the high school is two houses down the street from me, and I suggested looking there.

    He asks to come in. I let him in, and he sends the signal to have the missing watch make a noise. He walked all over my house, and no sound is heard. He showed me on the phone's screen that the signal was moving a bit, mostly around my neighborhood. He spends about 20 minutes outside, walking around my yard, along the street, in the neighbor's yard, kicking leaf piles, looking in bushes.

    The woman, (who has been driving past my house multiple times since) pulls up, and the cop talks to her. She drives off, he spends more time looking, and leaves.

    I just want to be prepared if this goes any further. Can the police do anything else just based on that moving "Find Me" location? What should I do if this woman comes back?

    To be absolutely clear - I've not found any watch, nor has my wife or son. I've no idea where is it.

    submitted by /u/NotPingingThrowAway
    [link] [comments]

    D-bag neighbor keeps parking in my godmother’s garage and driveway and using her empty house, what can I do?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    Some context: My parents both work full time jobs and growing up, my brother and I would be taken care of by my sweet godmother (SG). SG is older and is now nearing her 80's. My parents met her when they moved in right next door to her and they became such good friends they made her and her husband my & my brother's godparents.

    Her husband died while watching TV with her when I was little, and it hit SG pretty hard. She had an older uncle back in her home state that her family asked her to take care of. This woman is a saint and the sweetest woman I've ever met. She would take my brother & me on trips to theme parks & wherever we wanted to go since she played the stock market well & had enough money to give us a great childhood.

    SG recently came back to fix her house up a bit in order to sell it to have a better living place in her home state. One of our neighbors, d-bag (DB) offered her a great amount of help. But that help eventually turned sour as he'd do things she didn't ask in a way she didn't like, spending her money in the process. DB has a son who has a weird relationship with his girlfriend, and SG caught them having a rendezvous in her house while she was out getting supplies.

    She decided to keep the house for the winters when it gets too cold in her state. When she went back to her state, after fixing the house up, she told my family some interesting things over the phone. Apparently DB had started grabbing her inappropriately when he would hug her & he would be in her house without her knowing. SG said she was scared of him.

    So now, SG has said that my family is the only one allowed in her house, but DB can store his extra car in her garage. A month after she moved back, I noticed two brand new really nice cars in her driveway. Apparently DB had been telling neighbors that the house was empty & they can park in her driveway when they want. My family has found random food in the fridge, boxes of new products in her trash bins (using them as storage), lights left on in her house, and white paint all over her driveway. SG, being the sweet woman she is, doesn't want to tell him off bc she's afraid he'll hurt her or do something to her house.

    I've been parking in her driveway whenever it's vacant, trying to take up as much room as possible, because I have her permission to. I live in California and want to know if what DB is doing is illegal & if so, what I should do about it. SG deserves to be rid of him.

    submitted by /u/therealboobhead
    [link] [comments]

    [OR] Landlord increasing parents’ rent by 37% with less than 30 days notice.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 03:54 PM PDT

    My folks have been renting the same house since 2013. There was an increase in rent payment in 2017 but that was only $100 per month.

    Last March they signed a two year lease agreement, yet today they received an email stating that the rent would be going up to $2250 per month from $1650 per month. The new cost will be in effect April 1st.

    I found this information on the topic but wouldn't really know what to do with it or who to see about it.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/CocaineAndCreatine
    [link] [comments]

    Is my new job making me a mule? My friends say its OK?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 06:26 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit,

    I have recently been hired by a European based real estate company about 4 days ago. I currently live in the US and have begun training. The first assignment was very professional and actually helped me learn so I was hopeful. But after reading the second assignment I can't help but get a hunch that I may be doing something illegal that could get me in big trouble. Other big red flags are that they trusted a huge check to an employee of 4 days. My friends tell me it's ok and that I'm just a broker? I don't know enough to confirm if its fraud. Hopefully, someone can tell me if what I have to do is legal or not.

    I am currently located in Broward County, Florida

    The Instructions:

    In some cases, our employees are sending money to our US Supervisor. Practically Supervisor is engaged in money accumulation in the US territory for the purpose of further distribution of all money: it's either payment for services, or the conclusion of contracts with new suppliers, or sending money to head office, etc.As part of your work duties, you will assist us with processing advance payment by check from our client. Please, take your time to read it carefully because it contains the step-by-step instructions and you, as the new employee, have the chance to demonstrate your diligence and productivity which will greatly aid your career in our company.

    THE FIRST STAGE (the process of getting payment):

    1. Our customer receives an invoice for services provided in the form approved by our company, he negotiates the amount of the first payment;
    2. From our part we are appointing you, as the responsible employee, to support this assignment and further customer payment processing;
    3. Our client sends the payment and copy of the invoice in an envelope through USPS to your home address, pre-paying for postage. The delivery takes 1-3 business days if there will be noany unintended delays (bad weather conditions, troubles in the USPS distribution centers, etc.)

    Please see below a full information about our customer who will send you the payment:

    The check will be from: \****The sum on it: $2469.03*

    THE SECOND STAGE (the process of handling payment):

    1. As soon as you get the payment by check you should cash it. It is worth noting that based on our practice, you can process the payment at Walmart or Check Cashing Desks, but they arenot always cash personal checks. We recommend you to process payment at your or customer bank. Also you can deposit the check if your bank will not allow you to cash the payment in 1business day, this procedure usually takes up to 48 hours.
    2. You take your remuneration as per terms of your wage-plus-bonus remuneration system.
    3. You send me a report that the customer's payment was successfully cashed. After that I will prepare the instructions for sending money in accordance with the recommendations of ourfinancial department: sending money to our company's receiving manager based off in one of our representative offices in Europe (see an information about these countries in invoiceonce you get the envelope) via Money Gram or Western Union, or sending money to our US Supervisor.
    4. Once you get the instruction, you transfer the rest of received amount. All transaction fees are paid from the amount received.

    The best case scenario for all concerned is, of course completing the transaction within 24 hours after reception. It will guarantee you the additional 5 percent of each processed checkamount (to be added to your monthly pay) and help our company retain the reputation of efficiency by processing customer's orders within 1-2 days. However sometimes banks need more timeto clear the checks according to established bank policies. It means that you have to deposit the check to clear it. Please note that it's your right and it shouldn't raise any problemsor prevent the completion of the transaction. In that case please inform us on the exact time it will take to clear the check and make the funds available to you.

    submitted by /u/selkhi
    [link] [comments]

    Greedy insurance company almost literally taking food out of an infant's mouth

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    tl:dr: What sort of lawyer should I hire if I want to have wrongfully taken funds returned to me from my employer's benefits provider? Do I have a chance with a case like this, and is it worth it? We are talking $6000+ taken since mid-December.

    I have health benefits through my employer. Since starting with them, I got onto a health insurance plan as soon as I was eligible (April 2019). The plan was for an individual and costs $91 biweekly, deducted from each paycheck. In the first days of September 2019, I had my first child. I had little experience with benefits and plans, so a rep from the company helped me out in signing my child up. The enrollment period is 30 days, if you wish to add a new child to your health benefit plan. I submitted the appropriate forms within the 30 days, and he was approved and on my plan...for all of 4 days. I continued having the exact same rate for my premium taken out of each paycheck, and thought everything was squared away.

    In December, I got a call from my pediatrician, inquiring about health insurance for my child. They told me that his insurance was being denied at their office. Obviously shocked and worried, I called the health benefit provider. A rep there informed me that my child had in fact been appropriately put onto my plan, but due to a "server error" on their end, he was removed after only 4 days, and so has been without any health coverage this entire time (thank God nothing happened). She offered a verbal apology and guided me on submitting the forms again, and she told me that "as a courtesy" they would put him on my plan, retroactively, so that it appeared as though he was on my plan since his birth. A terrible apology for such a massive oversight, but I appreciated the help.

    The following paycheck came, and I had been working a lot of available overtime; this paycheck was about twice what a normal one would have been, due to working 60 hour weeks. This paycheck came and read $0,00. Naturally, I was confused more than anything, so I contacted the health benefit provider, as they are also the payroll dept. They informed me that they had done as they discussed and put my child on my policy retroactively. They completely failed to inform me, however, how they would be deducting payments for this feat. So, they deducted an entire paycheck (and then some on the following check as well). The rep I spoke with told me that I should have been briefed on exactly how the payments would be made, etc. She offered no help. She said that due to everything that had happened with this policy change, they would "do me a courtesy" of breaking up the back-pay. So sweet of them. I ended the call, defeated.

    On the following paycheck after this, I see that the price for this new policy, which covers an employee and dependents, costs $660 per paycheck, as opposed to the $91 per paycheck I was originally paying (I later came to find out that their price for this plan that includes a dependent is actually $410 bi-weekly). I contacted the benefits dept again, and this time I demanded that they undo all of this and return the funds that they had been wrongfully taking. I explained the chronological history of events to the rep on the phone, and she sympathized with me, and confirmed that I should be able to do that, due to this beginning with an error that they made. She had me fill out some other forms and send them to their appeals dept.

    A few days later, the appeals responded to me in an email and told me that to make a change outside of the enrollment period (since this was the very end of January 2020 now) they would only be able to change my policy by applying an exorbitant fee, etc. I explained in detail the events to them, and they still failed to understand. This continued on for weeks, going back and forth by email. Eventually, they sent an email saying that my appeal had been denied completely, and that nothing would change. During this time, I went ahead and applied for Medicaid for my child, and he was approved, and by the end of January was on it, with an effective date of December 1st 2019.

    The benefits dept emailed me, telling me that if I wished to change my policy, I would have to send in a form within 3 days, at the rate they charge for out of enrollment applications. If I did this, they would end my current plan on the 1st of March. If i did not turn it in within 3 days, they would default to terminate the current policy on the 1st of April, still with the out of enrollment fees.

    This was the last straw. I called lawyers and sent an email for a meeting with my HR dept. Every lawyer I contacted told me that they did not do the kind of thing I was looking to do, but would not tell me exactly which sort of lawyer I needed to contact. Many of them took messages or made appointments for call-backs, and never followed through on anything. When I spoke with my HR dept, they were very understanding and agreed wholeheartedly with what I was doing and they were on my side. They meet frequently with members of the benefit/payroll dept, and they said for me to give them copies of every correspondence I had and they would investigate in order to do right by me. This is still an ongoing investigation. They informed me that I may also seek legal counsel if I wished, at any time. But, they assured me that they would do their best to defend me and make things right by me.

    So now, due to having Medicaid, this insurance company has actually been complicit in insurance fraud since the 1st of December, due to charging me for their policy this entire time. Even this most recent paycheck, on February 28th, they charged me again, despite everything that has happened already. I had about $5500 put away as a safety net before all this started. Today, I have just $15 in my checking account. They are literally taking food out of a 6 months old's mouth, and they are aware. I actually just realized today, too, that they have actually been charging me about $660 per paycheck, as opposed to the price of $410 they show on their pricing guide, on their website. So basically, do I have a case here? What sort of lawyer do I need to contact for this? Thanks in advance, and thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Asterisk101
    [link] [comments]

    Planet fitness accused me of pissing in their trash cans. Absurd situation and In need of advice.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    Post was removed because I used a new account. Reposting from main account.

    Located in Pennsylvania.

    Planet fitness has accused me of pissing in the trash can. Absolutely ridiculous advice needed.

    4 years ago I was a daily user of my local planet fitness. I would work out, tan and then leave. One day the manager approaches me and says they have been watching me for the past week and they are positive it is me that's pissing in the tanning room trash cans. Let me say this just once, I absolutely would never even think to piss in a trash can at the gym or anywhere else.

    I had my lawyer contact the gym. They admitted they do not have cameras in the tanning rooms and therefor couldn't possibly "catch me urinating in the trash can"

    So here we are 4 years later. I have a bunch of kids and time is limited but every so often I do go to the gym. Haven't tanned in years. Same account same gym same everything.

    This evening I go in to tan only. I go into the room get undressed and go into the machine and it doesn't start. I throw my clothes back on and go back to the desk. The three teen aged workers are laughing about something. I tell them the machine won't turn on when the girl tells me I'm not allowed to tan. "There is a warning attached to your account saying we can't let you tan because you've been urinating in the trash can"

    Are. You. Fucking. Serious.

    I stormed out of there with my bra in hand. I called them once I calmed down and gave my contact info for the manager (same manager as before) to call me when she arrives in the morning.

    I am absolutely humiliated. I have been coming here for years. They had no problem charging my credit card for the past 4 years since this incident occurred. But out of no where they put a warning on my account to tell everyone who has access to their computer that I am a public trash can pisser?

    Also, on top of my monthly fee I pay extra for the "black card membership" which includes tanning. So I'm paying more for something I've been secretly banned from accessing.

    What do I do here? Can I contact someone higher up than the local manager? I am furious and humiliated and need advice how to proceed. What do I even say?! I'm obviously not a lawyer which is why I need help here. How can I word this so they realize how horrible this is?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/BisectionalLie
    [link] [comments]

    My Uncle got caught stealing from Walmart

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    A little background to help understand better. My Uncle is a little autistic but he can mostly take care of himself as in cook, clean and other basic stuff just not live by himself or look after his finances. My Aunt ( his sister) is his primary care taker as in making sure he can get around where he needs to like the grocery store and place like that and takes care of his finances. The only thing is is that she lives like two hours away from him and can't really take care of the thing like she needs to. When she does go see him it's to give him his money for the month and make sure he is doing ok. It has been like this since he turned 18 ( now 56) and nothing has ever happened he has a good group of friends and people that help him out. That being said he does most things by himself like pay his bills and buying stuff he needs like groceries along with other basic needs.

    Now on to what happened he was a Walmart getting his monthly supply's by himself he went to the self check out and scanned everything out but wasn't really paying attention to why he was doing and didn't realize he didn't scan everything like he should. He pays then goes to leave but before he gets anywhere near the door Walmart employees stop him they tell him to follow them so he does they take him to the office and proceed to tell him they have called the cops that he is going to be arrested for stealing. He doesn't understand why tells them that he paid. They show him what happened that he didn't scan everything and that he is stealing 120 worth of stuff. He apologizes and tells them that he has the money and will pay for it they tell him it's to late and the cops show up and take him to jail. He has never stolen anything in his life.

    But did he really steal anything since he never really left the store and is there anything he can do to fight this. This is in Indiana

    submitted by /u/btknight44
    [link] [comments]

    Someone texted me a threat?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 06:29 AM PDT

    Woke up to these texts this morning...

    "hello (insert name here). If you do not give me your Instagram username @"—————", by 12 mid night tonight, I will harass and terrorize you, your family, your friends, and your workplace.

    insert address here Time is ticking"

    Kind of scary and idk what to do...

    submitted by /u/heognaaa62
    [link] [comments]

    A friend of mine was video'd without consent or knowledge while having sex with someone she's dating. He's posted it on a free porn site. She's reported it to the police, but nothing has happened. What other avenue's can she pursue. She's feeling sad, disgusted, angry and afraid.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    I mentioned she could go to the local hospital and talk with them, counselors and info. I recommended writing down as many details as she can remember. What else can she do? Thanks This happened in Colorado, USA

    submitted by /u/Hopsblues
    [link] [comments]

    My parents are kicking me out and trying to arrest whoever lets me stay with them.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 09:12 PM PDT

    This might be a bit long so bear with me. I've never really read or posted in this subreddit before so I'm sorry if the formatting is off. I'm a resident of New Jersey.

    Recently I've (17F) had a lot going on in my home situation. My parents don't hit me much, but they are both extremely verbally abusive, and we've been having some troubled times with my dads health and just as a family in general. My dad was hospitalized a few weeks ago and my mom took over the finances to find out that we are tens of thousands of dollars in debt because of his carelessness. My parents and I have never really gotten along, but I always just try to ignore the things they say to hurt me.

    Today, however, after I arrived home from working all day, I went up to change out of my work clothes and was called down by my parents. Immediately my dad started berating me and telling me that I was disgusting, selfish, etc. and that I was a spoiled brat who didn't care about my family. He proceeded to tell me to get the fuck out of my house.

    Having no real idea of what I did, I immediately got upset, truthfully said back some rude things, and left. I had been there for him through his entire health related issues and I had been helping my family with tons of things the past week. Anyways, this was the straw that broke the camels back. I planned to stay with my boyfriend (19M) for the time being. In response, my mom started telling me that she would basically call the cops on the two of us and get him and his family into trouble. I'm tired of being treated awfully in this home as it is deteriorating my mental health and ruining my academic performance.

    I'm unsure of what to do as my parents literally claimed they are kicking me out and they want me to leave but also are threatening legal action on anyone willing to take me in? Also, I know if asked they will claim they did not try to kick me out, I can attempt to record audio of them telling me to leave again if it comes down to that.

    I wanted to know what grounds my mom has to do anything if I do go and stay with my boyfriend, or what I should do. I don't want to try to claim they abuse me and go down that path, but I need to do something to get out of here. I know I am allowed at my boyfriends home and also at my best friends home (18F) but I'm unsure of if I could possibly get them into legal trouble for helping me out. I have an older sister in college, but there's nothing she can do to help me right now.

    submitted by /u/UnofficialPoptart
    [link] [comments]

    My girlfriend is starting an internship next week and they are working her an average of 46 hours and the school says students are not to get paid.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    This seems very excessive. She is not able to switch her internship if she wants to graduate on time and she has to work a little for us to be able to make ends meet. Just wondering if there was any type of laws against this type of thing.

    submitted by /u/chilihands
    [link] [comments]

    Videotaping abuse

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    If you videotape someone abusing you without their consent in a two party consent state, can that video be used as evidence in a single party consent state?

    submitted by /u/Notyesterdaysnews
    [link] [comments]

    Instructed to tell Employees they cannot discuss wages. [MI]

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    I'm a manager at a Chipotle in Michigan, and I have been instructed by my area manager that when my employees, base level, non managerial, hourly crew members, that when they discuss their wages with other non managerial employees, that I'm supposed to tell them they're not allowed to do that.

    Obviously that's illegal, and I'm not going to be doing that, but can I be fired for refusing to do something illegal such as this?

    I'm already not on very good terms with my GM and area manager because I have filled an unpaid wage complaint with the department of labour, so I'm wondering if I'd have any recourse if I am to be fired for refusing to do something illegal.

    submitted by /u/Bokonon10
    [link] [comments]

    Adult daughter wants my husband to adopt her, what are the steps in Michigan.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 06:39 PM PDT

    My husband has always been very supporting and loving of my 3 kids from before we married.he adopted my son many years ago but my daughters' bio dad wouldn't sign off for him to adopt them though he hasn't had contact in well over 4 years. We ran into a financial hard time or we could have fought him and won on abandonment. Well one is 18 and now wants to make the relationship permanent but I just don't know where to start, can anyone tell me if they know where to begin the process. Searching online has just made it more confusing.

    submitted by /u/ccherven1
    [link] [comments]

    [USA/WA] Personal check (made out to me) was mailed to an old address of mine and was cashed by crackhead ex-roommates. What do I do about it?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    Like the title says, I was due a check from my aunt for things related to my late grandfather's will. My aunt (in GA) has been liquidating my grandfather's assets, and sending checks to the people in the family for their respective shares.

    One of those checks got sent out in June of last year to a previous address of mine and, for whatever reason, my aunt did not put a stop on the check when we realized that fact.

    Fast forward to October 2019 and one of the people that lived at that previous address has (seemingly) photocopied the details off the check my aunt sent (the banking details and her signature, including changing the style of the check and the date) and cashed it somewhere after substituting my details for his. She just today realized the discrepancy while checking her previous bank statements.

    So... what do I (and my aunt) do next? She's going to the bank to bitch at them as soon as she can, but it's also obvious that he opened mail meant for me.

    submitted by /u/pbd321
    [link] [comments]

    My friends Husband a US citizen and died without a will in Wisconsin. Surviving spouse is a citizen of the Philippines. Is she entitled to Separate property?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 03:38 AM PDT

    Husband died in 2019. He has 5 children from a previous marriage and none with my friend (current widow). Late husbands children will not return her calls. I did a quick google search and learned about Separate Property. What steps does she need to take and what are her options? Thank you in advance.

    Edit: Thank you for the advice everyone. We'll look into an Estate Attorney. Apologies for the post title grammar.

    submitted by /u/Changeup_master
    [link] [comments]

    Legal advice on 12 y/o traveling alone

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place for this. But I'll give it a shot anyhow.

    Location: Southern Ontario,Canada.

    I am in a 50/50 custody agreement with my ex, and we share custody of my 12 y/o son.

    Recently she lost her means of transportation(her dads car broke down, no DUI's or anything like that)

    Now her plan for getting our son to school on the weeks she has him is to send him alone in a cab. Since she can not afford to pay for a cab on the way home, he will then have to walk 35-40 minutes home by himself. This whole situation makes me sick to my stomach with worry. I would give him a ride, but I work well before school starts. He takes the bus from my house too and from, but cannot from her house as she is not in the district.

    My question is, is this legal?

    More info: she has two other children that go to a different school, and needs to walk them to the school, this is the reason she will not be accompanying my son on his trips to and from school.

    I have offered to keep him during the week for the school year, and still pay her child support, and never to hold it against her in a court or anything but she said no.

    I just want to know my son has made it too and from school safely without being worried sick every other week.

    Throw away account for obvious reasons.

    submitted by /u/Right-Dingo
    [link] [comments]

    Grandmother recently passed, we want to buy the house. Mom says yes, aunt wants to list for 30k over appraised value instead. (PA)

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 12:51 PM PDT

    My grandmother recently passed away. My aunt is the executor of her will, my mother was medical proxy, but both of them are on the deed to the house.

    My SO and I are residing in her house currently, as agreed upon before grandma's dementia took her. We're paying rent at my aunt's insistence, though grandma just wanted us to cover utilities. That money went into a bank account that was supposed to help pay for nursing home costs.

    Now, the house is supposed to be sold on her death. My SO and I want to buy it. We've been through the pre approval process and offered $60k. Aunt said no, she wants $75k. My mom wants to sell to us, though. (Either way, they'll split the money from the sale.)

    We had the house appraised by a real estate agent. The market value is $45k. So, obviously we adjusted our offer. My aunt still rejected it, saying she has a tax assessment from years ago stating the house is worth $74.9k, so she can sell it for $112k.

    This doesn't sound right to me at all, but I obviously don't know what my options are, here. My mom wants us to get the house. My aunt wants to sell for way more than the house is worth (or so I believe?) and she wants to sell ASAP.

    Can she actually list the house for so much more than it's worth? Is there anything specific I should do or avoid doing to make sure I don't screw myself over here? I assume we keep paying rent until she tells us we have to move out? Or can she even do that if my mom disagrees and says we can stay? This is confusing.

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/specialaunt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment