• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 11, 2019

    Legal Advice - [TX] Being socially stalked by a wrong number. What do I do?

    Legal Advice - [TX] Being socially stalked by a wrong number. What do I do?


    [TX] Being socially stalked by a wrong number. What do I do?

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 07:39 AM PST

    I have had this phone number for 3 years. I have had junk texts every month or so from junk businesses stating, "Tina, you are eligible for a loan!" "Tina, you may be able to reduce your credit debt with..." "Tina, Click this link you've won!"

    ​ My name is no where near Tina. A year ago, I received a text from a man, something like, "tina, pick me up, cmon let's work it out. i'm sorry but i'm better now."

    I texted him back saying, "wrong number."

    He says, "tina don't play. this is some bullshit. you gonna do me like this?"

    ​ I don't respond. Then he says," rebecca (my real name) LMAO that some shit. cmon knock it off."

    Using my real name was scary when I never gave it. Apparently, my facebook is attached to my phone number (I use messenger as an SMS I guess) which allows people to see your profile picture and profile name when they text you. That would be great right? obviously I'm not Tina? well no, he thinks Tina is just playing hard to get. I don't respond. ​

    About once a month I'll get a text from him, something about trying to work it out with Tina. I blocked the number.

    Then I get a text from wrongnum's friend, saying "Tina this is Albert please work it out with him. He's a good guy" and some other stuff I don't remember. I block him too.

    I get three facebook friend requests from three accounts, different versions of Albert and last name. I delete and block them. More texts, more block.

    ​ Then I get some kind of weird as fuck "Albert would like to share on Youtube with you!" I'm still not even sure what the fuck this is, but it seems like an instant messaging service that Youtube uses to share videos with each other. ​

    I cancelled that, but how the fuck did he get my info to be able to do that? That needs my email, right? I had this number for 2 years, why is this person just now texting me (as opposed to when I first got the number?) I can only assume the guy has been in prison or a coma and he's texting his old girl's number. I'm afraid that by some internet magic he'll take my real name and phone number and email and find out my address and just show up at my door one day looking for Tina.

    What do I need to do? I'M NOT TINA

    submitted by /u/spicyramenyes
    [link] [comments]

    Can my school legally do this?

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 08:27 AM PST

    So, I'm a senior in high school and we are planning our senior class trip. Well, when we went before the board to present our trip, they said we could go, but they "highly recommended" going to a religious play about the story of Noah. I say highly recommended but they are essentially saying that if we don't go to this play, they'll pull our senior class funding. No one in the class wants to go to this religious play and a lot of us have began to fight it. What's the legality of what they're doing?

    EDIT: As I just realized, it's important to note that we're attending a public high school in Kansas and a very important note that I forgot to mention is that we have raised all of the money through fundraising, totaling $25,000. The school itself is not funding the trip

    submitted by /u/chips67
    [link] [comments]

    Can't have sex with my girlfriend in my rented space

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 12:50 PM PST

    I rent the basement of a home in Saskatchewan, Canada.

    My rented space includes the common basement area, the basement bedroom, and the basement bathroom. I share the upstairs kitchen and the basement laundry with my other two roomates (who are siblings) who are also my landlord (the brother is the named landlord on my formal lease).

    So, recently their parents have come to visit and are staying upstairs, after about a month of them staying here their mother must have come to get the laundry downstairs and overheard me having sex with my girlfriend in the shower. Later on that day I found a note attatched to my fridge that reads.

    "Dear <me>!

    I am <Landlords> mother. I think it's wrong for you to bring your girlfriend to my house and have sex in the bathroom. It's okay to bring your girlfriend and hang out with her, but I don't want her sleeping or having sex.

    I want you to keep both of them.

    Thank you."

    My lease only restricts guests to no longer than one week, and my girlfriend has her own place and barely stays over once-twice a week since she is in a professional school. I also before moving in and signing the lease asked for permission from my landlord, her son, if my girlfriend can come over on occasion, which he said sure, and I have text messages of him telling me where my girlfriend can park her car when she stays. Do I have to comply with this note? It doesn't seem right that she can restrict who stays over and what I do in my own rented space. If I ignore this note is it proper grounds for them to attempt to evict me?

    submitted by /u/kowagatte
    [link] [comments]

    Is our maintenance man breaking the law and being creepy or are we being crazy?

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 10:14 AM PST

    We're college girls living in an apartment together. We moved in here fall of 2018. Basically, we've had issues with our maintenance guy from the start. It all started with random drop-ins without notice last winter and has only gotten worse.

    Around Christmas last year, he came over to fix something and we got to talking and he said he liked our Christmas tree so we took a picture of him in front of it and my roommate sent it to him via text. So, he had my roommate's cell number from that and he started requesting to follow her on Instagram repeatedly and she kept declining and he kept requesting.

    Then, he brought us Christmas presents without any notice. When we opened the gifts, he had given us over $300 (VERY strange). We returned the money in a card and said we appreciated the gesture but could not accept it. This gesture made our parents very uncomfortable and they called and complained to our landlords. The landlords assured us it was a misunderstanding. He laid low for awhile after that.

    Come this school year, he has started up with the unwarned drop-ins again. We are supposed to have advanced notice if maintenance is coming and he'll show up without us having received an email. Yesterday, he came over, knocked, walked right in and that's when my roommate noticed someone was here. She said "hello?" And he immediately stopped walking and said "oh Um I'm here to fix your kitchen light but nothing is wrong with it so i don't know I'm just going to leave now." None of us put a maintenance request in for this service and this made us extremely uncomfortable.

    What do we do in this situation? We've contacted our landlords about this on several occasions and they don't resolve it and essentially tell us we're overreacting. He has a master key to our apartment so it's definitely concerning.

    submitted by /u/rose9898
    [link] [comments]

    Went for a $200 car repair and left with $3000 in damages [TN]

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 08:02 AM PST

    I don't know if I tagged this right.

    I went to a chain car repair place for a battery replacement because my car wouldn't start. I waited there because they had it in stock, but after missing an hour of work I gave up and had a friend pick me up to take me to work. When I went to pick it up they had my car sitting off to the side, but gave me the keys back and had me pay $200 for the battery.

    When I got in my car I immediately noticed a problem and went back in to have them fix it, thinking it'd be quick and easy. Another 30 minutes later they tried to tell me it came in that way (it didn't) and finally told me to contact the dealer and have them fix it. The dealer let me know this repair will be $1500-$3000, and it's caused by live battery wires touching internal parts of the car for too long.

    The chain place gave me a note saying they'll reimburse me for repairs, but after spending another hour not at work today to take my car to the dealer and pick it up (if they fix it) I'm wondering what I should do. Additionally, I don't want to put $3000 on my credit card if they're going to take months to drag this out.

    Is there anything I can/should do legally to protect myself here?

    I'm in Tennessee, USA.

    Editing to add: they're now trying to argue that it was broken when they got it and they are offering to pay half, but it definitely was working when I left (my phone was connected on the way and that's part of what broke)

    submitted by /u/throwaway164618856
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate died. What to do with her stuff

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 12:36 PM PST

    Yesterday (December 10 morning at around 2am) my roommate died. She left an apartment full of furniture, her laptop, clothes, and her puppy. She doesn't have any family. How do I go about dealing with her possessions? I'm located in Ontario Canada.

    Edit: added location and a better time frame

    submitted by /u/throwaway32306
    [link] [comments]

    Breaking up with my fiance who lives in my house. How do I kick her out legally? (VA)

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 08:08 AM PST

    My fiance and her kids have been living with me in VA for 3ish years. She used to pay rent and more or less stopped after year 2. We got engaged last year. After quitting her job last Feb, she was out of work for 6-7 months, she racked up about $20k in debt on my credit card that I stupidly let her use while she was out of work and for a side contracting jobs which she was supposed to and sometimes did pay back when she made a profit. Needless to say that strained our relationship and I realized she isn't a good partner for me for a multitude of reasons besides fiscal irresponsibility.

    I asked her to move out at the end of the school year in June so her kids could finish up without causing more mental trauma to them than necessary. She said "good luck trying to get me to move out".

    Since she isn't a formal tenant and there was no lease, and she pays no utilities, rent, etc, do I need to go through a formal eviction process?

    submitted by /u/isthatmyusername
    [link] [comments]

    My friend's dad has a camera in her room, where she changes. She's a minor.

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 03:24 PM PST

    My friend's dad has a baby-monitor type camera in her room. I'm not sure if it saves to a file, but I know he can see the stream from his room and his basement. As far as I know, she changes and all that in front of it. She's a minor, as I mentioned in the post title. She told me that she just puts up with it because her dad is kinda crazy (she's perpetually grounded when she has a B-average in any class, as an example). Is this illegal, and what should she do? (We're in NJ)

    submitted by /u/theworldcavesin
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord wants to let a film crew shoot in my apartment in Chicago.

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 04:21 PM PST

    To preface, i don't really mind that this is happening, however i feel that it is important to know my rights before proceeding with it.

    I received a very matter of fact email stating that a film crew would be coming to my apartment to see if they wanted to use it as a set, and that i need not be present for this. This film crew is unrelated to my landlord and is actually a fairly well known TV series. I know the landlord can bring in prospective tenants and contractors and things like that, but as my lease is nowhere near up, and a film crew does not really fall into either of those categories, i am not sure how legitimate that is. But i assume as a consumer I have little to no rights and they can do whatever they want. However if they do decide to film in my apartment, do i have the right to compensation? This is clearly something they are getting paid for, and letting someone else use the apartment I am leasing in exchange for money without asking if i am ok with it seems super illegal.

    Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/roadkill845
    [link] [comments]

    Post Office Worker used my student loan forms to get my personal information and contact me

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 09:47 AM PST

    Hi there,

    I live in Canada and here when we apply for student loans, when our application is accepted, we need to fill out a form agreeing to loan terms. This form has all your personal info- banking info, address, phone #, SIN#, full name. You have to take this form to an authorized Canada post location with gov ID. A worker then looks it over, stamps it, and they send it off for you. Not all post offices are authorized to do this.

    I went to hand mine to the location near me. It's a small post office inside of a little shop. When I went, a total of 3 people handled my forms because it was a small location and we needed clarification from the manager if I needed to include a different form (the answer was no). When I got home, someone texted me saying they were from the post office and wanted to talk to me and they gave me creepy compliments.

    I don't know what to do. This person gave me their name and they told me they got my info from my form. This very much feels like a personal violation. I don't know if there is anything I can do, considering all the workers were workers of the local business- none of them had Canada post uniforms. However they were handling the post office part of the store. Can I file a complaint?

    submitted by /u/toasty_usernames
    [link] [comments]

    My dad’s ex-girlfriend wants to take my dog.

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 03:27 PM PST

    Good evening Reddit,

    I live in New York

    The title explains the bulk of the current situation I am in. My father is having a very ugly break up from his significant other, and she wants to take my dog away from me out of spite for my father. She strongly disliked me over the time of their relationship and felt this would be a good farewell gift for me (just in time for Christmas). I do have him microchipped, and I have paperwork to prove it. I'm desperate for any advice that can be offered to me. I love my dog more than anything, and I can afford to lose him.

    Here is a picture of him. His name is Diesel.

    submitted by /u/SCMDebby
    [link] [comments]

    I havent paid income tax in almost 20 years, how screwed am I?

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 10:42 AM PST

    Since I got my first job at 14 I've been claiming exempt on both state and federal withholdings. Nobody ever said anything about it so I decided I was gonna keep doing it for a couple months and see what happens. Well fast forward 19 years and I'm still claiming exempt. I'm 33 now, and this year I've decided I want to file my taxes and pave my way through America just like everyone else. I just bought a house and car for the first time of my life this year, and I really don't want to lose them and go to prison for tax evasion, so for the first time in almost 20 years i am going to file my taxes. I'm incredibly scared, but I am going to follow through with it anyway. Am I going to have to go to prison? How much of a debt do I owe to the IRS? And are there any ways I can soften the impact? Pls halp

    Edit: MY SO'S house, sorry. We've been together 10 years, so even though we aren't married I just assumed they can take it because I live there and make payments on it too (in her name though)

    Also, you guys seem to agree that I'm very fucked, which terrifies tf out of me so I'm going to get a hold a lawyer. Damn, you'd think I would've gotten a warning somewhere down the line. I'm gonna leave this up and continue to read your advice but I agree it's probably best if I go to a lawyer before going to the IRS.

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/2tonemurders
    [link] [comments]

    [CT] Employee returned to work at childcare center and hid the fact that she was pumping breastmilk while clocked in and left classroom out of ratio, now is threatening us (employers) with a DOL claim of retaliation

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 07:16 PM PST

    Okay, I'm going to try to make this as short and concise as possible because this has seriously spiraled out of control and we do not know where to go from here. My parents, own three childcare (daycares) centers in Connecticut (for over 25 years) and employ approximately 30 employees. We have always been told (by the CT Department of Labor and ADP HR resources) that we fall under the small business clause of FMLA (having less than 50 employees). We have had many employees become pregnant, go on maternity leave and then return after six weeks and have never had any issues like this.

    The employee in question (we'll call her A) has been employed by us for about eight years. She had her first child about a year into employment and took about eight weeks off and then returned to work. Fast forward to today, she recently had another child and has been back to work since November. About two weeks ago, A's coworker, quit and while completing her exiting interview, she said that one of the reasons she was leaving was because A was frequently pumping breast-milk and left her alone in the classroom throughout the day (putting the classroom out of ratio). We had no idea this was happening. After investigating and looking back on the classroom cameras, A had been pumping breast-milk and leaving the classroom out of ratio (against the state regulations) multiple times a day for 30 minutes at a time, while clocked in. We did the math and she spent approximately 38.5 hours (in which she was paid $450.00 based upon her pay rate) throughout the last month pumping breast-milk while clocked in and left the classroom out of ratio. Her co-workers all covered for her and her supervisors had no idea this was happening- she never once told her immediate supervisor, the assistant director or her boss (my mother) that she needed to (or wanted to) pump throughout the day.

    After we found this out, we told A that this was unacceptable and that we could accommodate her wanting to pump throughout the day (as we know how important it is to breastfeed!) but it would be unpaid. Since she is a teacher in a toddler classroom, her breaks need to be covered by another employee so the classroom is not out of ratio. She agreed upon a schedule that she would pump between 10:30-11:00 AM, on her lunch break between 12:00-1:00 PM, and then at 2:30 PM. These times are easily accessible for us to have our lunch coverage staff fill in for her. Her schedule varies between 7:00 AM/8:00 AM until 2:00/5:30 PM, so on her days that she left at 2:00 PM, she would simply breastfeed her child. Her child does not attend our childcare program so it is not an option for her to switch classrooms to breastfeed throughout the day. Any additional breaks a day would result in A not maintaining her full-time hours (due to taking 2.5 hours worth of breaks a day) which, as stated in our employment agreements, would result in losing her benefits. My mother also told A that throughout the past month, they had paid her for 38.5 hours of time (which she showed A the times and the math) that she did not spend working, so she would not be receiving a Christmas bonus this year (something that is done out of kindness and is not guaranteed nor is it written in any employment agreements). It was then revealed by A that she had spent an entire year several years ago while working doing the same thing for her firstborn child (pumping without clocking out)- which results in almost $5,500 worth of wages that were essentially stolen.

    A few hours later, A comes into the office and throws a packet of paperwork at my mother and said that she should read up on the laws and that she is entitled to pump whenever she wants to and that we need to accommodate her. She now wants to pump every hour because she feels that her supply has already been hindered by the new schedule (which is physically not even possible as it had literally been four hours). We called the state of Connecticut's DOL who re-confirmed the facts outlined here, which we had initially been following (providing her options for a space and outlet to use and working out that schedule to keep her full-time hours). A representative stated that according to CT's breastfeeding policies, employees are only entitled to breaks that they earn (during a break or meal period) and do not get paid for that time. She agreed herself that as a breastfeeding mother, pumping every three to four hours was more than reasonable.

    Then we receive a call from the federal Department of Labor, in which a representative there tells us that A has opened a claim against us for not following the federal breastfeeding guidelines under FMLA/FLSA and that we have retaliated against her by not giving her a Christmas bonus and by saying that if she does not work full-time, she will lose her benefits. The representative refers us to this fact sheet and PDF document, which we look at while on the phone with her, however, point out that all of these regulations are in place for employers with more than 50 employees. She tells us no, that "schools" are "covered employers" and are required to participate no matter the amount of employees and that we will be investigated for this claim. We tell her that we are not a school, but rather an infant/toddler daycare center. She tells us to refer to chapter one of the PDF, which on page 10 clearly states that covered employees in the "School" category are: • Public school boards, • Public elementary and secondary schools, and • Private elementary and secondary schools... which we are not any of the above-mentioned. It then states: "Review section 825.600 of the FMLA regulations for more information about coverage of schools" which states:

    (a) Certain special rules apply to employees of local educational agencies, including public school boards and elementary and secondary schools under their jurisdiction, and private elementary and secondary schools. The special rules do not apply to other kinds of educational institutions, such as colleges and universities, trade schools, and preschools.

    (b) Educational institutions are covered by FMLA (and these special rules) and the Act's 50-employee coverage test does not apply. The usual requirements for employees to be eligible do apply, however, including employment at a worksite where at least 50 employees are employed within 75 miles. For example, employees of a rural school would not be eligible for FMLA leave if the school has fewer than 50 employees and there are no other schools under the jurisdiction of the same employer (usually, a school board) within 75 miles.

    The representative then told us that A is entitled to limitless breaks, that are unpaid, and can be taken throughout the day. We tell her that we have ratios to maintain and do not have extra staff on hand to cover for 30 minutes at random intervals throughout the day. This is not an office or retail job that someone simply closes their office door or goes into the break-room, we have full classrooms that need teachers present throughout the day. She tells us that we are going to need to hire someone then. Where are they going to find an employee that wants to work for 30 minute intervals? We then explain that A will not meet her full-time position by taking more than three breaks a day and she tells us that we are not allowed to drop her benefits due to her medical need to pump (which she has never brought in a doctor's note or anything). This representative also tells my parents that my mother violated A's HIPPA privileges by discussing this matter without HR present. My mother tells her that we do not even have an HR person since we only have 30 employees! My mother is the owner, director and handles all issues... how is she supposed to not know?! We then ask to speak to supervisor and are told that one will call us tomorrow to discuss the case.

    How is this possible? Should we contact an employment lawyer? At this point, there is zero trust in this employee since she has been putting our childcare license at risk by leaving the classroom with only one staff member there and has not been forthcoming at all with her pumping- not to mention the fact that she has been collecting wages for not actually working. Can the Department of Labor force us to maintain her full-time benefits even if she is not meeting the company instated minimum of 35 hours per week (she would be looking at (she would be working 27.5 hours a week if she followed her proposed pumping schedule)? Are we really classified to follow these FMLA/FLSA rules even though we are not a primary or secondary public/private school and have less than 50 employees? Any help would be so appreciated!

    submitted by /u/b_writes
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] Car was hit in minor accident by 17 YO with no license

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 06:57 AM PST

    My car was hit the other day by a kid driving with no license, there was very minor damage to the vehicle so he told me he would just send me the money for the repair. Have his license plate number and phone number. The body shop quoted me for $1k and a 3,4 day repair time. After telling the other party they refuse to pay. what can I do about this?

    submitted by /u/sixvi6
    [link] [comments]

    Wife called CPS and police, did she violate 261.107 (TX)

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 02:51 PM PST

    We are presently separated. A few months ago I broke up a fight between my children, one of whom got a little butthurt and complained to his mom about his back via text message. Using his iPhone, I sent her a picture of his back under bright kitchen light. There was no injury, and she remarked, "what? I don't see anything." Regardless, she called the police of my city, who performed a welfare check that night, and the adjoining city (where she resides and the children's school is), plus CPS, all of whom investigated and found no cause for concern. I received a notice that the CPS case was closed today.

    Furthermore, she filed two emergency restraining orders over the next few weeks, both of which were denied, and lied in her affidavits.

    Anyway, given that she knows that the boys fight, saw no evidence of harm, and called the police anyway, did she violate the family code?

    "A person commits an offense if, with the intent to deceive, he or she knowingly makes a report of child abuse or neglect that is false."

    If so, what should I do?

    submitted by /u/letak2018
    [link] [comments]

    Bed bugs in the work place. Work isn't fully listening to me.

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 05:57 AM PST

    I'm in Illinois and 2 weeks ago I saw a bed bug on my coworker. I ended up telling him, because I thought it was the right thing to do. Those bugs are awful to get rid of and a huge nightmare. He didn't care. I could go into the whole nasty story as to how I came to that conclusion, but I'll save you. Anyway, a few days later I saw one crawling on his desk. And I occasionally throughout the day have to use this computer for a part of my job. I ended up telling my supervisor and he talked to HR. They ended up having a bug guy in spraying, but have not addressed anything with the employee. She says she's been talking to a lawyer and trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Which I understand, but 2 weeks? What about me and the other workers that have to use that computer or be around him? I've been through the hell of having these nasty bugs about 3yrs ago. After moving into a house, buying all new furniture, and a lot of money in treatments we have been free of them for almost 2 years. I CAN NOT go through this again. Mentally or financially. I've been having panic attacks at work and today I'm having the biggest fibromyalgia flair up I've had in months. I know it's from the stress from all this.

    What can I do? Isn't this a public health issue? Or am I being overly dramatic?

    submitted by /u/mysticpark
    [link] [comments]

    My attorney never expunged my record, as agreed, and I'm now being denied jobs over marijuana charges from a decade ago.

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 08:09 AM PST

    I'll try to keep this short with pertinent information. In my early 20s, I made some very stupid mistakes and was eventually arrested for possession and intent to distribute marijuana in Arkansas. My attorney that I hired had told me that after I completed my probation and jail time (I finished both with full compliance and no problems), he would begin the process of expunging or sealing (I'm not sure which) my record. I assumed this was handled on the back end because I was never kept in the loop much and to say he had never communicated with me or my family would be a gross understatement. As soon as I got off paper, I booked my ass out of Arkansas and headed to Colorado but am now discovering that I'm being denied jobs due to a marijuana charge on my record. I was going to try and use Arkansas Legal Aide but am no longer a resident there and can't afford an attorney in Colorado to get anything expunged. I'm not looking to manipulate the system and profit from suing my old attorney or anything like that. But I WOULD love to know if there's any legal recourse I can take against him or (the preferred option) to just get my record cleared. I know people try to sue attorneys all the time for monetary gain but, honestly, I just want my record clear and to get on with my life as a normal, responsible citizen.

    submitted by /u/Settabak
    [link] [comments]

    My father lied to my college and told them I committed fraud to get out of paying for my student loans

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 10:45 AM PST

    [ NJ ] So my father and I have always had a rocky relationship. He was very emotionally abusive and at some points physical and we haven't talked since I graduated. But before that I was getting ready to go to college and my uncle recommended that we get a parent plus loan to pay for my school. My dad agreed and we got a parent plus loan for me to go to school. Fast forward to now I stopped going to that college and now I'm going to a different school starting in February because I wanted to take a semester break. Because of the break my loans go into repayment in January and although I despise my dad I wrote him a note letting him know this so that he wouldn't tank his credit. He then went to my school and told them that he never took out that loan pretty much accusing me of fraud and now the school is saying I owe them 14,000 dollars and if I don't take out a loan of my own it will go to collections. What do I do, I'm pissed off because I did not commit fraud and I was just thinking out of the kindness of my heart to push back his loans a year and a half since I was going back to school and now I'm hit with this. Is there anything I can do?

    Edit: This is exactly what the email said from the school:

    "Your parent has contacted us to inform us that he did not apply for the PLUS Loan for you last year. As a result and based upon a written statement, we are required to cancel the loan. If your parent wishes to press charges for fraud, your parent may do so. We have forwarded the issue to the Dean of Conduct. Fraud is a very serious allegation.

    The loan has been cancelled and you now have a bill for the 18-19 school year for $14,362. This is payable to Student Accounts.

    What can you do?

    At this point, you still have time to apply for a private educational loan for the 18-19 school year. Please be advised that you have very limited time to do so and if you do seek a private educational loan, you may need to seek a co-signer.

    To seek a private educational loan we recommend using ELM Select. There are limited lenders who will allow you to borrow for a previous academic year beyond 180 days if you are no longer enrolled in school at the same institution. Among them are, but not necessarily limited to: Affinity (Serviced by Sallie Mae), Sallie Mae, Commerce (Serviced by Sallie Mae), Earnest, and StuFund (Serviced by Sallie Mae).

    Another option is based upon the fact that Student Accounts will send your account to ECSI. If they send your account to ECSI for pre-collections, ECSI has various payment plans. You may enroll in a payment plan with ECSI, however, if you are unable to maintain the contractual payments with them they will forward your account to collections.

    Please be sure to review your account and options to pay off this bill."

    submitted by /u/Blackiechan2000
    [link] [comments]

    Computer repair technician went through personal files, emails and messages, and accessed my SS# etc. What action can I take?

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 12:43 PM PST

    I'm sorry if this is scatterbrained. This just happened and I'm still reeling. To summarize: I got my laptop back from a computer technician today. Just by checking my browsing history, you can see he used my computer to access my email, my google drive (what he looked at included my W2 for 2018 and a photocopy of my driver's license), my facebook messenger, amazon, google photos, my social media accounts, and plenty of fish (though I don't have a POF account as of ~3 years ago, my computer's browsing history shows he checked my trash which has current emails from POF that are all automatically sent to the bin.) I am a girl, I think he was trying to creep on me as well as steal my personal information. He likely went through other documents and did other things on my computer as well, it's just harder to tell at this point but I'm looking into it with some help from my dad, who works with computer software.

    I really have no clue what sort of action I can take against this person (he owns his own computer repair business and is the only person who works there). On December 9th he came to my house to pickup my laptop. I had called that morning to ask if he would be able to order an OEM battery replacement for me. He insisted on taking the computer for a free consultation to make sure it really was the battery that was causing the problems, and said that he'd do a scan of the system as well to check software and hardware issues and then give me a quote. I eventually said yes and he came right over to get it, along with a piece of paper that had my password for my account written on it, which he requested. (I did ask him if I could just open a guest account, which he said no to, and that just the password would be best.)

    On Tuesday afternoon, he called and left a voicemail. I called him back and he gave me a breakdown of the price: $150 for the replacement battery (which I knew was outlandish and unlikely), and $80 to clean my computer's "infections". He refused to specify what these infections were, initially saying "yes" when I asked if he had found spyware, but refusing to elaborate. When I brought up that I had antivirus and regularly scanned with malwarebytes as well, and asked if what he was looking at were tracking cookies and PUP or if there was actual malware on it, he said "well the list was so long, if I went through and checked what everything was I'd be here all night." I said no to both and said I'd come to get my computer tomorrow.

    Fast forward to today, and the first thing I did was check my browser history for Firefox. I moved from Chrome to Firefox very recently, but when I saw my history for Firefox was completely deleted I got worried. I went to check Chrome and saw that he had gone through the sites I had mentioned, invading my privacy and accessing my personal information.

    I called him on the phone and confronted him about it, summarizing the different websites my browser's history listed, including POF. He said he didn't even log into Windows (which my event viewer logs say completely otherwise), and that all he did was use programs to scan for software and hardware issues. He feigned all responsibility for everything I was seeing. Before I hung up I said "I'm making a report", and he said "I don't know what you'd make a report about, but ok."

    Apart from probably being stupid about the phone call, I seriously need advice. This guy has everything he needs to steal my identity. What actions do I take? I know nothing about this but I'm freaked out and scared.

    Update: I'm in New York state

    submitted by /u/anomallie
    [link] [comments]

    [IN] My grandfather drives recklessly, is there anything I can do?

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 07:49 PM PST

    In Indiana.

    So, as the title says, my grandfather is a careless driver. He's constantly on his phone texting and looking at Facebook while on the road. I've never really road with him previously, but a few days ago he was driving me somewhere and he got a text. He picked up his phone and was looking down and responding, while the truck was going onto the other side of the road, and if I wouldn't have said something, I honestly think we would've ended up in a ditch or hitting a tree.

    We live in a rural place, so not many cops drive around here, so the chances of him getting caught by them aren't high. Granted, not many people in general drive around here, but that's no excuse to be unsafe.

    Both me and my grandmother have tried talking to him about it, but he just gets upset at us and doesn't change anything. He drives a big truck and also farms (so he drives around in huge farming machinery). I don't want his wake up call being him getting into an accident and likely killing someone.

    Any advice on what I can/should do about this?

    submitted by /u/UnholyGreenBean
    [link] [comments]

    Harassed By A 13 Year Old

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 03:53 PM PST

    WARNING MENTIONS OF RAPE

    The other day my sister's friend told her a kid in her class was going to rape her. The mid he was talking about was almost a year older than her, a foot taller, and far heavier than her. My sister is a very petite 15 year old who is maybe 4'11, so you can understand that is this kid wanted to, he could. She got so scared and distraught she ran to the office and demanded to come home. Since my family and I have been keeping her home and dealing with the police and the school.

    However, it turns out the friend that told her was lying. He changed his story a minimum of three times and you can just tell he is making this up. He also keeps calling and texting my sister, using very manipulative language and basically blaming her for everything. We have told him to stop, and even tried speaking to his parents but they refuse to see their son's wrong doing. It has gotten to the point where she cant even turn on her phone without being bombarded with calls and texts from him, all accusing her of being a "bad friend" and asking how could she leave him alone when he is going through something like this.

    We are in California, is there a way for us to file harassment charges against him? My sister has expressed that she does not feel safe anywhere near him and we are already in the process of changing schools to keep her away from him, but he knows where we live, what church we go to, and even what park my sister and I run at. What can we do to further protect my sister?

    submitted by /u/NatieMarie
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck living with my rapist... not allowed to post in r/rape

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 08:51 PM PST

    Hey y'all. I'm reaching out. I, unfortunately, live with my ex (in a lease I cannot afford to break that ends April 2020). He assaulted me and, although not immediately, I did report it the day after.

    What I can deduce is that he was processed, booked, and released on bond with a bail bond company (no previous record, looks exemplary on paper). I have been staying with my parent's since but that cannot go on forever.

    I am wondering what my options, if any, are. I cannot afford an attorney and have received minimal updates from law enforcement (not blaming them).

    To provide more info: We both live in Virginia and are working professionals that split our bills 50/50. He has a top level security clearance. A friend had suggested getting a protective order... is that even possible when we hold the same lease in the same residence?

    Basically, where do I go from here and how? I obviously am VERY uncomfortable with living in that house.

    TIA

    submitted by /u/Nurse_Nameless
    [link] [comments]

    A family member wants to leave land to my children (to force me to have children) I’m not going to have children, who does the land go to?

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 05:01 PM PST

    We found a hidden mini camera in our houseshare's bathroom facing the toilet and shower, we don't feel safe, what could the police do for us ?

    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 06:22 PM PST

    We live in a house, 9 of us. We are three couples and 3 single guys.

    I found the camera that was shockingly badly hidden and facing the toilet and shower directly. It's a mini camera the size of half a finger, it's a chargeable one that we easily found on numerous websites. The person has to physically take it, we thought about leaving it and wait for that person to take but 6 of us already know about it and we made a fuss around it tonight so we called the police and the operator didn't seem to take it seriously. Is there anything legal that can be done and that would result in someone the authorities checking with our internet provider or stuff like that to find out what happened ?

    We live in the UK.

    We don't feel safe...

    submitted by /u/Pinergrove
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment