• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 10, 2019

    Legal Advice - Emotional support “parking spot”

    Legal Advice - Emotional support “parking spot”


    Emotional support “parking spot”

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 03:22 PM PST

    I'm on the board of our condo association (don't shoot me, we are trying to be one of the good boards). Each condo unit has a 1-car garage and a spot in front of their unit. Spots are not reserved. 60 units in our complex.

    CC&Rs say plainly that an owner can park only one car in front. A 2nd car must be parked in their garage. Some people with only 1 car park in the garage and leave the spot in front empty. Others park in front and use their garage for storage.

    Owners cannot park their car in short term visitors, they must park a 3rd car on the public street outside the condo complex. 2 cars only in the complex and only 1 car out front.

    ——-

    An owner was parking 3 cars in front and using their garage for storage, causing other owners to not have a place to park. After complaints from others, We identified the offending owner and gave them 30 days to correct the violations before any fines would start.

    ——

    They just presented a note from a doctor saying "due to anxiety and claustrophobia, all 3 cars should be able to park out front and not use their garage". That was the extent of the letter/prescription. The doctor is legit at a big-name health provider in town.

    —-

    While we hate to spend the money on a consult with the COA lawyer, we are planning to do so. The situation to me is just ridiculous.

    Any thoughts? In Cincinnati Ohio.

    submitted by /u/mbruns2
    [link] [comments]

    Sons mother keeping him out of school

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 09:28 AM PST

    My son is 10 years old. He told me sometimes his mom just doesn't take him to school because she doesn't feel like it and/or "doesn't have enough gas money."

    I get emails every time he's absent. I counted all of them and he's been absent 25 times since the beginning of the school year and between 40 - 50 times for the calendar year.

    I called the school for information. They must have told my son's mom about the request because she messaged me very angry and defensive saying he he's only missed school because of being sick or going to the doctor. I asked has he seriously gone to the doctor 40 times in a year and she said yes.

    So on top of the absenteeism she takes him to psychiatrists CONSTANTLY and changes his medications on an extremely frequent basis, which I know makes things difficult for him. She's the type of person who doesn't want to actually parent and just yells at him for everything and hopes medication will "fix" him. And when he's annoyed with her because of her verbally abusive nature and stands up for himself, she calls him an asshole. Basically she treats him like shit, causes him to have bad behavior, then goes through tons of medication thinking it'll sort him out.

    Today I get an email from the school saying that they're having an IEP meeting about putting my son into special education. I'm assuming because he's so far behind and has had behavioral issues.

    Is there a reason she should be allowed to keep him out of school so much? Isn't it a legal issue with him being truant at this point? Is there anything I can do to stop her constantly changing his meds and messing with his head?

    Would any of this be considered grounds to win full custody?

    Also when I go to pick my son up I've noticed their living situation is disgusting. There was trash and broken plates on the floor. Pieces of food and dog urine on the bed. My son always smells terrible and he says that his mom's dogs pee on his clothes.

    EDIT: This is East Tennessee. I've already spoken with DCS, but they called me when I was at work and I didn't feel comfortable talking about everything at work. I'm going to call back soon to update them with this new information.

    submitted by /u/PossibleSquare
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors park in our driveway...what are the legal issues if I block them in with my car and leave town for two weeks?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 11:35 AM PST

    (Illinois, USA) Neighbors park in our driveway...what are the legal issues if I block them in with my car and leave town for two weeks?

    We tried several times to convince them to park somewhere else. Most of the time they are good about it, but if they don't expect us home they will park in our driveway...this has been a problem on days we are unexpectedly home (illness, etc)...I have brought up this situation with them...the response has been "its only for a minute" (spoilers, not it's not).

    We are planning a trip soon and will leave the car behind...in our driveway...If they are home I'll ask them to move but if the schedule demands we leave them blocked in...how much sleep should I loose over it?

    submitted by /u/concretebox
    [link] [comments]

    Dealing with a neighbor from hell. What recourse do I have?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 12:50 AM PST

    This is a really long, insane story and every time I try to write it up it turns into a giant novel so I'm going to try cutting it down by conveying the relevant details with bullet points.

    • State is NV

    • Moved into new apartment complex

    • first time living on my own as a single woman, very little life experience

    • Downstairs neighbor turned out to be extremely antisocial, unstable and beligerent

    • he severed my external internet wiring because he thought i was stealing his cable (totally untrue)

    • i work as a full time streamer and this caused me to lose income at a time when I was relying on it

    • when the engineer came to fix my connection he came outside and started screaming homophobic and racist slurs at us

    • security told me that he has broken into my apartment unit in the past by kicking down the door

    • neighbor told me that the previous tenant moved out after 2 months due to issues with him

    • threatened to shoot my friend for "trespassing on his property" ie the communal grounds of the complex

    • police were called but said they couldnt do anything because my friend refused to make a statement

    • they recorded the event as a domestic disturbance

    • arranged a meeting with the apartment manager. she was extremely dismissive and refused to do anything beyond giving him a stern talking to and offering to move me into a different unit or allowing me break the lease, neither of which are viable options (no units available and can't afford another move)

    • everything was quiet on his end for around a month until the new call of duty game came

    • he plays it every day from when he gets home from work to when he goes to sleep, at high volume on a bass heavy surround sound system while screaming expletives at it the entire time

    • measured the noise level and in the center of my living room it clocks in at 65-75db, which for reference is louder than standing next to a vacuum cleaner

    • the soundtrack to my life is now machine gun noises so loud they hurt my ears while a man screams fggt and nggr over them

    • it's disturbing my peace on a daily basis and is negatively impacting my work because the noise gets picked up on my microphone, slurs and all

    • made noise complaints to management/security but they've accomplished nothing. office staff and security team are sympathetic but the manager isn't on my side and doesnt seem willing to take action against him.

    • havent started making noise complaining to police yet because i wanted to give the management a chance to resolve it themselves first. I believe that the relevant ordinances are las vegas code of ordinances CHAPTER 9.16 and clark county code of ordinances Chapter 11.07 but im not sure how to correctly interpret them or which ones apply.

    • even complaining causes me a lot of anxiety because im scared of him having further violent outbursts if he feels antagonized by me

    • ive lost a huge amount of sleep over the whole thing, havent felt safe in my own home and live with constant fear/stress/anxiety.

    • coupled with other life events the whole thing has also been a major contributor to placing me under heavy financial strain.

    • thought about suing him for lost income + moving expenses but im not sure if it would be worth it because i read that you can't sue for legal fees in small claims

    That's basically it. If you read through all of that, thank you for being a reddit angel. I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do. What legal recourse do I have against this guy, if any?

    submitted by /u/AAAAAAAAAAA35345
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get out of my lease after my husband committed suicidal in the unit?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 09:48 AM PST

    In October my husband almost strangled me to death and held me hostage the following day. When I was able to finally leave our apartment, I went to the police. When my husband saw the police outside the door, he committed suicide.

    I've spoken to our landlord who informed me that he will not let me out of the lease until he is able to find another renter.

    Facts - I live in NYC - I've since paid November and December rent - This is a condo building. I am dealing directly with the individual owner of the unit - The lease ends April 15th, 2020 - I am currently on short term disability while I heal psychologically. Was thinking this might help?

    I'm really not sure what to do. The unit is way to expensive for me to handle on my own and I want to wash my hands clean of this place. There is a possibility that he may find a soul and choose not to sue. But, if he does sue then I was thinking that a possible defense can be that I was traumatized in the unit and am on short term disability as a defense.

    Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/sassafrass95
    [link] [comments]

    Step Son calling me Dad

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 01:15 PM PST

    Hello all and thanks for listening.

    I have been with my girlfriend for over 2 years and we have a 7 month old girl together. As well as her 6 year old son. Together we are a very happy family. Over the two years I have grown extremely close to Dominick, her son, and now we love each other as if I was his father and he is my son.

    Her ex husband and father of dominick has given us many problems over the years and his newest issue is that dominick calls me dad or daddy. He also calls his father dad or daddy and is aware of the difference between us. He has chosen to call me this on his own and has told us he would feel extremely sad and left out if he couldnt call me dad while we clearly raise my daughter to call me dad.

    His father had his lawyer send a letter today telling us we need to cease this activity and must order dominick to stop calling me dad. As much as I understand that this hurts his feelings and ego, but it is not fair to dominick and his feelings. Paying for a lawyer right now is a crazy thought. We have a lot going on. But I dont want to back down and let him hurt his son because of his hurt ego.

    To be clear, his father has not and is not really in the picture except for several weekends and a couple weeks throughout the year. Thanksgiving just passed and Dominick called him 6 times and he didnt call back till 3 days later. Leaving his son crying wondering why his dad was too busy to call back. We dont press him on these things and just try to make dominick feel secure and loved.

    I am not sure what my next move should be. Her ex has hurt my girlfirend in many ways and she is emtionally and mentally drained with anything involving him. I have already looked up similar cases in NJ where we live and it seems very clear they will side with us. Id love to take him to court if thats what he wants and have him pay for my fees. Is this realistic? Whats my best option?

    Thank you for any advice! Its much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/CyBorga
    [link] [comments]

    Hospital refuses to provide itemized bill for ER charge

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 04:13 PM PST

    The hospital will not provide an itemized bill for an emergency room charge of ~$5,000. I have contacted the billing department and they said that that's all the information they have. After persistently complaining about it, they forwarded me to a complaint line where I talked to someone who said would look into it and call me back the next day. That was Thursday. Another person at the billing department suggested I might find the information I'm looking for in my medical records. I just went through my medical records and didn't find any billing information in there.

    Can anyone offer advice on what next steps I should take? What department/who I should be calling. Because literally no services were performed (aside from seeing a few resident physicians who wrote their summaries down for doctors I never met to review). I literally just want to check for billing errors and make sure I wasn't charged for duplicate services. I don't think that's unreasonable.

    State: MS

    submitted by /u/fosterrrrr
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone want to solve some silly but $10,000 NextDoor drama?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 04:21 PM PST

    This is not me but I'm curious and thought you all might enjoy this story (which is a very active thread on my Nextdoor page)

    Location: Southern California

    The neighbor has $10,000 (broken into 5 - $2,000) gift cards to a local restaurant. Recently the restaurant changed owners/was sold. The new owners won't honor the gift cards.

    Are they legally required to? Or because the new owners have a different tax ID is the neighbor out of luck?

    submitted by /u/perry1236
    [link] [comments]

    I went to my local police department to file a police report and show dashcam video evidence of a driver, who on two separate occasions drove reckless, almost hitting other vehicles, stopping in the middle of the road but told me they could not file a report for that because there is no penal code.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 05:55 PM PST

    This happened in California. I told them that I have video dashcam evidence along with their plates. They said they cannot file a report because there is no penal code to attach to it and take the evidence with it. Is this accurate ?

    submitted by /u/FaultyDrone
    [link] [comments]

    Just got laid off. My layoff date is after my 2 year anniversary with the company, but they're only crediting me with one year of service for my severance. Is there anything I can do?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 04:01 PM PST

    Los Angeles, CA - My entire department was let go by our parent company this morning. I was hired January 2018, and they've told us that our official layoff date is 3/9.

    My severance agreement is only crediting me with one year of service for this company, which is 4 weeks less severance pay than I'd get with 2 years credited.

    I think this is technically because we were instructed to cease work on 12/31, but the layoff still technically doesn't take affect until 3/9. And regardless, 12/31 is just 9 days shy of my 2-year mark with this company.

    Should I hire a lawyer? I'm trying to start a new conversation with HR to see if there's any negotiation options.

    submitted by /u/driftcase
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] Wife made $3k Credit Card Payment - Issuer rejected the payment for being too large then reported her as late

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 08:33 AM PST

    Wife submitted a $3,800k payment to her GTE Bank Credit card. She initiated the process through the issuer's site ("Payment form External Account ACH") and was able to submit it no problem. We then left on vacation.

    The credit card issuer rejected the payment from processing- as it is over their "Daily payment maximum"of $1,000. When we returned from vacation, she was informed via a call that the payment was rejected for being over the limit. She immediately submitted a payment of $1k. At the time of the $1k payment she was 14 days late.

    The bank reported her late to the credit bureaus. Her credit score dropped 100 points and she now has to carry a late payment mark on her credit score for 7 years.

    Sounded highly suspicious to me. Would be interested to hear the legality.

    EDITED to update facts and timelines.

    submitted by /u/JelloBrickRoad
    [link] [comments]

    A famous Chef tricked me into going in business with him. When I noticed the scam and withdrew, he threatened to drown me in lawyer fees and won’t refund me 5,000$ worth of expenses I put on my personal credit card.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 09:23 PM PST

    I am a kitchen chef by trade. My wife's boss is a restaurant entrepreneur and he's a good friend of a famous chef where I'm from. They both approached me to open a kitchen in a high-end food court, 3 weeks before opening. So we had 3 weeks to build a menu, build a team of 10 cooks and 6 cashiers. Almost impossible but an interesting challenge.

    My wife's boss was always nice, very generous, family oriented and genuinely seemed like a transparent honest guy. He told me we would need to take shortcuts if we wanted to be ready for the opening. One of the shortcuts would be to waive lawyers aside for now, we would take care of the paperwork later when the dust settles. I trusted him, my wife has been working for him for almost 3 years now.

    The other famous chef wasnt in town, he took care of shopping prices with suppliers, equipment, logo, uniforms, etc. Later I found out he was only going to be the « image » of the company to attract clients. I was sold the idea that we were developping a new company and the idea was to franchise it later on.

    I was promised 20% shares with no investment and a 50k salary while they took 40% shares each and were going to invest 20,000$ respectively (no salary).

    So I worked 120 hours weekly for 3 weeks with no rest and we finally opened on time for the big opening. When the dust settled, they gave me a day off finally. What I didn't know, is that on that day off, was the day the media and bloggers were going to pay a visit and write about us. I found out because I saw a news article in the newspaper the following week. To my horror, the article spoke about the famous chef and his associate (my wife's boss). No mention of me.

    When I went to confront them, they were secretly meeting with the accountant at the restaurant (I wasnt summoned to the meeting). When I got there, they acted awkward and the accountant subtly closed her books when I approached. I told them about my insecurities and asked for an explanation and they simply denied everything and called it a coincidence. Then they proceeded to asking me when I was going to invest my 10,000$. I reminded them what they had promised and they acted surprised trying to convince me I was wrong. Eventually they agreed I was right but made me feel like shit. I was told by them that I was ungrateful and other chefs would pay great amounts to live through such an experience next to them.

    I went home and decided I needed paper trail. I emailed them asking for all the legal papers and I wanted proof of everything before continuing. They sent me a link to the state online registry showing I was indeed a shareholder. But that doesn't prove my %, so I asked for them to put on paper my shares. This created some turmoil and long story short it ended with them saying: « go see your own lawyer if you dont trust us, get all the paperwork done and send it over to our lawyers and we'll take a look ». They knew I didnt have the means or contacts. So I knew I had to leave the project.

    At this point, the restaurant was open and I had to keep working 90h/week and pretend life was beautiful to my employees. Our logo arrived 1 week after opening, but instead of being the logo we talked about, it was the name of the damn famous Chef that appeared. My jaw dropped, I was working like an idiot to help market this other guy's name.

    I wrote to them that I quit, gave them 3 weeks notice, offering to help find a replacement. I said keep my shares, if I even have them, I just want my expenses on my card reimbursed. The famous chef took it badly that I quit and sent me a compromising email saying that I cant just quit, I have responsabilities as a shareholder and that I should worry much more about lawyer fees that can stack up to 50k and that my 5k is a joke to what he's going to make me spend.

    I didnt reply to his email, I just kept working. After his email, the famous chef never wrote again (I think his partner told him to stfu). They admitted I had shares, I guess he compromised himself a little.

    I have 12 days to go, I go in, do my work and thats it but I dont know what I should do about the 5k I need reimbursed. Its all equipment, food, parking, etc for the company. I was promised verbally that if I kept my receipts, they would refund me.

    Worst case, I dont care about the money. I want justice so this doesnt happen again with someone else. They need to be called out for the rats that they are. The 20th of december will be my last day, from there I will consult a lawyer and send them a formal notice to get refunded.

    What's strange is that I didnt sign a single document. But still, my name appears on the business registry. Is this legal? I never officially gave my consent on paper. If I'm an official shareholder, do they have to buy my shares? Can they play with numbers and make it look like the business is running at a loss?

    Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for the advice!!

    Edit: I am living in Quebec, Canada

    submitted by /u/Meccio85
    [link] [comments]

    Car accident in driveway, oops.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 06:56 AM PST

    I live in michigan. My wife and I are going through a divorce right now and are currently still living together on advice from our lawyers. This morning I was backing out of the driveway to take my daughter to school and hit my wife's leased vehicle. I told her about it, she screamed some, then I left to take my daughter. Twenty minutes later I get a call from her and she says the police are there and I need to come back to talk to them. I ended up telling her no, I'm busy and cant right now, not wanting to answer any questions and speak to the police. Can she sue me for the deductible, being my wife and on the same car insurance? It was on our private property, so could she lie and say I did a hit and run even though I spoke to her and I let her know I was leaving to drop our daughter off? How should I protect myself in this situation? If she hadn't drained our joint bank account I would actually entertain paying the deductible but now I dont have any extra money and I dont want to purely out of spite.

    Tldr; Smashed my soon to be ex wife's car in the driveway like a moron and want to get out of paying anything.

    submitted by /u/theJOINTchief1
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord no longer accepting packages in mail. Is this violating tenants' mailbox rights?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 10:22 AM PST

    Washington State

    Starting in November, the company that owns the rental complexes I live in eliminated the ability for people to accept any and all packages. USPS is only able to deliver letters in the small 4x4x10 inch slots in the mail room now, as the office no longer accepts anything that cannot fit in those mailboxes, therefore preventing the mail from being delivered if it is not in a letter. Each apartment is accessible from the outside, so services like Amazon can pitch it at our doors, but other delivery services rely on a central point of delivery, due to the volume of apartments in the small area. Even then, drivers often mark my address as "undeliverable" requiring me to visit the local distribution center for that service.

    Found this online:

    Tenants' Mailbox Rights

    Tenants have the right to receiving mail securely. A landlord may not interfere with the delivery of a tenant's mail, nor are they allowed to look through a tenant's mailbox.

    Because each apartment is technically accessible for packages to be delivered, I assume what is being done is not unlawful; however, since USPS does not deliver to individual apartments per their policy, does this rule require there be a means to accept packages? I'll also note that some people that work in the office have been trying for over 6 months to add package receptacles, and the owner has allegedly refused to spend any money to do so.

    Can someone help me understand the law regarding mail accommodations, and if this is potentially unlawful?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/MassumanCurryIsGood
    [link] [comments]

    A few months ago I was charged with a felony because the “friend” I was helping move didn’t inform me of the drugs in his belongings and didn’t tell the police it was his. I immediately bail out with my own money and I’ve come to find out that the DA has only filed a possession charge against me.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 08:40 AM PST

    I am a full time college student, working part time in Rancho Cucamonga CA! I was helping a friend move all his stuff into a hotel because of his lady. He asked me to stop by Cvs at around midnight right in Rancho Cucamonga and I agreed. He was everywhere in the store and giving bad vibes. I remembered I forgot my wallet in my car and run to go get it with my belongings at the cashier. I see several cops parked waiting and grabbed my wallet only to have my friend run inside my vehicle. I kept yelling and punching the window for him to get out. Once he did we went back inside and I come to find out that his card declined for all the stuff he bought and that's why he ran. So I purchased both of our stuff. I told him he never not be stealing and there's cops.

    Sure enough we get lit up on the way out of the store and search me and my bag and everything is fine. Then they discover stolen mascara in his pocket. They then ask to search my car to see if there's other stolen goods he may have put in there when he first ran inside my car. I asked how they can tell if something I bought earlier at target or if it was stolen? I pulled out my phone and began recording stating I don't want my vehicle being searched. I was immediately told I'll be arrested for a petty theft then. Handcuffed and waiting as they search all of his stuff. Their Sargent has a word with me saying I'm find and not to listen to those guys. Then I was asked to answer some questions and said no. And all of a sudden the car starts and he begins driving while my friend is still standing there messing around with the cops.. I was told I was being charged for sales and that they found pills and a scale.. I was dumbfounded and said that's not true anything in there isn't mine. He told me I had the chance to talk earlier but said no.. obviously I'll say that before being arrested for things that aren't mine. My friend got away so easily and lied to them. Once we pull up to west valley he says proce to me you don't sell let me go through your phone.. I asked if I proce it to him then will o be let go and he stayed quiet so I said I don't feel comfortable. So my phone and $400 dollar bills were taken as evidence.

    Once at west valley I immediately post bail by giving them my bank login. They said I needed $1500 down and then $400 a month for a few then down to $200 a month.. I've never been convicted of a felony before so I knew I should get a lawyer. She came with me twice only to discover it hasn't been filed and she removed the bail from me or the rules I need to follow.

    Finally a few months later I see I have a possession charge on my arrest date. I called in to speak with the clerk and she informed me that the Cop filed it as a felony but the DA is only perusing a possession charge of which I was never ticketed for..

    So I have a few questions.. I feel like I've wasted money on a lawyer and bail if this is the case..

    1. Since it's a misdemeanor instead of a felony, do I have to continue paying my bail? I mean I would have most likely have been released anyways.

    2. Is it possible for the DA to still file a felony for sales case despite the case they have against me right now as possession? Even tho I was never charged that by the cops. I'm wondering if they can still bring up new charges against me as they see fit.

    should I continue keeping my lawyer for a misdemeanor charge that used to be a felony or keep her just in case something bad happens?

    Bail and lawyer fees are too expensive. Please help me get out of the bail aspect.. any advice and sorry for the long message

    (Car was recently totaled and I need another one ASAP. Was hoping to come across a good deal that someone can Recommend for the price. Or may have to try and finance unfortunately.

    submitted by /u/makeitstrain
    [link] [comments]

    Employment advice for 30 (f) with cancer

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 02:41 PM PST

    Hi,

    Today my manager had a meeting with me to tell me I've taken too many days off for my cancer treatments and he would like me to resign from my position by Friday. I've taken about 10 days off in the last few months. They said that they need someone more reliable in terms of days off.

    Background: I've had stage 4 cancer for about 4 years. I've worked throughout my treatments. I started a new job 2 years ago at a large company on the east coast (at will employment). About 6 months into the new job I had emergency brain surgery that required 3 weeks recovery. I came back to work after the surgery and resumed my role.

    Since my surgery I have had frequent follow ups with my neurosurgeon, radiation and oncologist. In the last 4 months I've taken about 10 days off to attend the appointments. Other than the time off, my performance at work has been at 100%. I never wanted to receive special treatment because of this stupid disease, so I never asked for any special accommodations.

    My question is, do I have any ground to stand on because of my condition? Can they just let me go just like that?

    Thanks so much for any advice you can offer. 😊

    submitted by /u/mb96822
    [link] [comments]

    [IN] I was stuck by a contaminated needle while undergoing surgery. Hospital is currently testing the nurse's and my blood. What steps do I take now?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 04:02 PM PST

    TL/DR - I was stuck with a contaminated needle during surgery. Looking for a way to make sure I'm covered legally without having to fully dive into the world of medical malpractice lawsuits

    Yesterday morning I had a laproscopic procedure to have my gallbladder removed. All went well with the removal, but while I was still a bit groggy from the anesthesia, someone came by to draw blood. I didn't think anything of this, assuming it was to check my blood and clotting levels, however I did think it was odd that it would require 5 large vials of blood. About 30 minutes later, I received a visit in my recovery room from a Risk Management Officer and a Corporate Compliance Officer. They sat down and informed me that during my surgery a nurse had managed to stick herself with a needle, and not realizing it at the time, proceeded to use the needle to inject me. It was only after the surgery when the nurse removed her gloves that she noticed she had stuck herself and that the needle did break her skin. So those 5 large vials of blood were going to be sent off to be tested as well as samples from the nurse in question. The hospital is (at this time) taking full responsibility and shouldering all costs involved with the testing. However, since this is a small rural hospital, the blood has to be sent away and can take over 72 to return results.

    I want to be clear that I understand this is an accident and I'm not looking to sue anyone, unless extreme neglect is shown. All I'm looking for is advice on how to protect myself moving forward. The hospital has been very kind, but they are obviously out to protect themselves. My question is what I need to ask them for in order to ensure medical and financial coverage is problems arise from this incident in the future. I've read it can take up to six months to be fully sure there isn't and viral load from HIV contamination. I'm not looking for some huge payday either, but can I request compensation for time away from work, drive time, mental distress, etc if this turns out to involve months of ongoing testing?

    Any advice on protecting myself legally moving forward would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/LittleLoobyLulu
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Sued in Small Claims Court for Car Accident

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 03:16 PM PST

    The accident happened in summer of 2017 while I was on a business trip. I hit the plaintiff's car from the back in a highway (during heavy traffic so I was going at most 10-20 mph), and I admitted that it was my fault. Since I was driving a rental car and had insurance through them (full coverage for business rental; I did not have my own car insurance at the time), I simply have the rental car insurance handle this after filing reports. I thought it was a fairly minor accident (just scratches and dent on the rear bumper; no damage to my rental car), and we both drove off after the police report was filed (I drove the same rental car for next couple weeks without any issue). I remember checking with them couple months later and hearing that this has been taken care of (I have not talked to the plaintiff since the accident).

    I recently received an order to go to small claims court as the plaintiff sued me for close to $10,000 (~$9,000 for lost wages, medical bill, pain and suffering; and ~$1000 for property damage which does not mention rear bumper). I was not involved in the insurance process, so I don't really know how it went. The rental car insurance said that the case was closed for a while, so this makes me believe that the plaintiff did get paid to fix the rear bumper (I'm still waiting to get the report from the rental car insurance).

    The case was filed couple months after 2 years mark of the accident, so I know the statute of limitation for personal injury has expired. I still have some pictures from the accident and I strongly believe that the plaintiff's claims are unreasonable (even for property damage). I live in East Coast, so it's very inconvenient for me to travel to California; though I can definitely make it there if I need to.

    Is traveling to California to defend myself the only option I have? If so, is there any way I can recoup my travel expenses? I'm just wondering what would be my best course of action and how I can make the rental car insurance to help me with this whole thing.

    submitted by /u/throwaway12c4
    [link] [comments]

    Father dies unexpectedly, insurance claims they owe the family nothing due to clerical error.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 05:43 PM PST

    I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is going through a rough time. My apologies if the formatting is incorrect.

    My friend's dad recently committed suicide. The family called to collect on his life insurance policy. The company claimed there was a clerical error, the man on the policy (the father) did not sign one of the forms, and therefore the company claims he's not covered. Well, he's dead now, so he can't go in and sign it. Can they sue for the pay out?

    It is my understanding that they paid their premiums and whatnot while he was living. This insurance may be through the VA, although I'm not sure.

    Should they at least consult with a lawyer?

    thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Throwaway17761996
    [link] [comments]

    Garage Tenant beneath me is flooding my apartment with CO2

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 08:46 PM PST

    This is the second or third time this has happened.

    This guy owns a few vehicles in the garage that I live above.

    He is not the owner of the house. He just rents the garage space.

    There are cars parked in the driveway preventing him from moving his vehicles. So he comes over and starts his cars in the garage. This results in a flood of CO2.

    The CO2 the Floods into my apartment after he leaves.

    Is there any legal recourse to prevent this from happening again? Should I talk to the property management company about legal action? I should mention they already know it happens. The facilities guy has to come over in the middle of the night to air everything out (I always feel terrible calling him). I'm just curious what can be done legally.

    Thanks for any help!

    Edit: Located in Rhode Island, USA

    submitted by /u/HikerTom
    [link] [comments]

    Movers from Hell

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 08:08 PM PST

    This is long, thanks in advance. Recently, I had hired a moving company to take my things from an apartment to a house about 30 minutes away, state is Georgia. The first half of the move went fine, they asked if there was anything I was particularly concerned about, I told them the big mirror my grandmother gave me before she died. It was the one thing I wanted them to be very careful with, it was about 6ft x 4ft.

    When they arrived at the house it was fine, they moved it into the bedroom first. I asked if they wanted to move it into a back room since they still needed to set up the bed in that room and it was tight quarters. They said no, that it was fine there. One of the movers decided to throw the mattress through the same bedroom door rather than walk it all the way in. It slid in to the corner of the mirror, causing it to fall firmly onto the corner of the exposed box spring. It shattered rather violently, even the frame seams came apart.

    Aside from the mirror breaking, our hardwood floors had been refinished 2 days prior. The mirror shards scratched and created deep divots in about a 4-6 foot space. Some of the damage appears to be from the fall, some from them trying to sweep up large pieces causing big scratches. The flooring company we hired to do the original work has given us a quote of $1300 to repair the damage.

    The movers lost a glass table top during the move. My husband called the owner of the company and said we would not pay in full until some agreement was made on the losses and damage. He threatened to call the police saying we needed to pay in full and dispute the rest in claims or court. We still refused to pay and the owner of the company said he would drive to our old apartment, see if he could find the missing table top and meet us at the new house to figure something out. He found the table top sitting outside unwrapped on the ground. A bookshelf was also broken in the process but it was a $40 Walmart bookshelf and not considered in the damages. I am sharing to further demonstrate the incompetence of the moving company. The bookshelf came apart at the center screws, it was easily repairable, they didn't tell my husband or myself but put it in the gutter. It was raining, the whole thing warped.

    When the owner arrived, he looked at the damaged mirror, apologized, said he would fire the employee (not something anyone wanted, we just wanted a solution to damage issues). The owner said he knew someone in furniture restoration and would try and have it repaired. It was in such poor shape I honestly thought it was beyond repair and was going to throw the pieces out. I said he could take what was left if he thought he could fix it. He asked to allow him to do that instead of filing a claim with his insurance. It is more sentimental than valuable to me so I agreed. He again demanded payment and said legally we had to or they could take everything back and put it in storage. He kept the movers and van in the driveway this entire time to make good on the promise to take back our things, it was 11PM and the move started at 1:30PM. He said he would even put some of the money towards fixing the frame. We paid on a credit card.

    After weeks of going back and forth with him about what was happening with the mirror he sent me 3 quotes for repairs ranging from $1000 with mirror replacement to $350 for just the frame. He said in the information he sent me that "By Law We Cover Anything Damaged Up To $300 Free." He is refusing to pay anything beyond that. There is no signed contract, just text messages of information. He has the pieces of the mirror frame currently.

    I contacted a legal service through my work and have received conflicting advice on how to proceed. The consensus seems to be small claims court. It appears we would need an expert to testify on values of the damage to the mirror and floor. These people would need to be paid and I don't know how much we would be able to get from the movers. My understanding is if the judge considered the text messages a bill of lading then they could hold me to the $300 only and I might spend more on going to court than I receive. I'm upset at the sentimental loss, the financial loss, and the amount of time this has all taken. I am thankful for any help you can offer.

    So Reddit, how would you recommend I proceed? Also, should we dispute the charge with the credit card company as well or are there any legal concerns there?

    TL;DR Moving company causes almost $2,200 in damage, threatens to call the cops and refuses to pay more than $300. There is no signed contract just text messages of information.

    submitted by /u/trash_panda_username
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord sleeps at my place?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 06:07 PM PST

    Okay, so, I am new to this whole renting thing. My lease is month to month. I have just moved in about two months ago. My landlord comes by once a month, firstly, with no warning. He lives almost an hour and a half away. Each time he's here, he gets drunk, and passes out on our couch. I recently asked him for a receipt for my payments, or if I can give him a money order. He became belligerent, and hung up. Is this legal? What can I do about it?

    Another thing. My agreement mentions a $75 dollar fee for pets in the house. It DOES not specify what kind, or how many. Just that I pay for having them. I pay this as told. I recently let him know another pet is joining the household, and he tells me I am "lucky" to have "gotten away with" having a cat, and if I do not like it, I can leave immediately. What rights do I have? Can I simply register them as Emotional Support Animals and tell him to go fuck himself?

    I have also mentioned some plumbing and electrical issues. Two months have passed, and nothing is fixed. This is completely frustrating, as I am a respectful tenant who always pays on time.

    submitted by /u/rfernald1
    [link] [comments]

    I am a teacher suffering from postpartum anxiety/depression. I have ADA paperwork filed but was harassed by my principal, placed in an alternate (but terrible) school and I’m now being told I have to take a leave of absence.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 09:12 PM PST

    I am a teacher in a large, public school district in Kentucky. I have taught at the same school for 6 years. In July, I had a traumatic childbirth where I was accidentally given the wrong medication at the wrong dosage (epinephrine instead of ephedrine) and my baby and I almost lost our lives. It triggered severe postpartum anxiety and depression. I have been treated since.

    Upon returning to work several weeks ago, I filed ADA paperwork. I had a situation where a parent had been harassing me and I felt very uncomfortable so I explained to my principal what was going on. I thought she would be compassionate. Instead, she made me feel bad for my physical symptoms of anxiety (I break out in hives across my chest when I'm nervous) and said "I don't know why you allow parents to govern how you feel and conduct yourself. You are not opening yourself up to anything that other teachers don't open themselves up to every day. If your anxiety is that dire, maybe you shouldn't work here." I recorded the whole conversation after she had been nasty to me on a few occasions.

    I met with the district ADA office. They decide that as a reasonable accommodation, they would move me to a different school. The school where I taught had a great reputation and is one of the best in the city. The new school is an AIS school (academically improving) and one of the worst schools in the whole state and the worst school in the district. It is an all boys school (I'm a female). My first day there was the hardest day of my teaching career. All of the kids were wild. They jumped on tables, exposed themselves and told me to "suck my nuts, bitch." By 8:30am I was called a "racist cum sucking hoe bag." They all had iPads, refused to put them down and were watching porn. They hung out of third floor windows. It was a zoo. Even three big security guys couldn't control them. They just cussed out the kids and the kids cussed right back. At the end of the day I had a panic attack. I took my keys to the principal of the new school, apologized and told her I wouldn't be returning. She was incredibly kind (unlike my previous principal) and understanding. She told me she was planning to shut the class down when she had received a call from the district wanting to place me.

    So...I figured the district would either place me back at my old school or find someplace else. But...they told me they had made a "reasonable accommodation" and that if I wasn't going to return to the new placement, I would need to take a leave of absence. I am so upset. I have two kids to support and it is two weeks before Christmas. I feel like I did nothing wrong and was just forced out of my job. They knew it was the worst school in town, why would the district place me there as an accommodation for someone with anxiety? Anyone would have anxiety teaching there! And why is the principal at my old school able to say what she said?

    I have contacted my union and they will file a grievance but the guy hasn't been very helpful and seems irritated he has to write it.

    Is this legal? Isn't this discrimination? Sorry for the wall of text...

    P.S. - I should add that I'm a good teacher who has never had any disciplinary issues.

    submitted by /u/wickedcreative
    [link] [comments]

    [US/LA] Large Class I railroad demanding we do computer based training at home. Details inside

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 08:14 PM PST

    I work for a large Class I railroad based in the US. Recently, they have announced that they expect us to complete mandatory computer based training at home on our own time. Once we complete all required training, they will pay us for 8 hours worth of work. The training listed will likely take much longer than 8 hours to complete. Is this legal? Do we have any recourse? Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/InedibleSolutions
    [link] [comments]

    [OR] Person claiming to be previous tenant is saying he's unable to forward his mail and needs to receive it from me. Do I have any obligation?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 08:34 PM PST

    Location is Oregon.

    I moved in to a new location recently, and at first was receiving quite a bit of mail addressed to people not me. I've been marking it "not at this address," leaving it in the box to be picked back up, and thinking nothing else of it.

    I received a note recently claiming to be from the last tenant saying he couldn't get his retirement checks updated/forwarded and wanting me to contact him to provide him with them. I have no way to know if this note is actually from the person it's claiming to be.

    Do I have any legal obligation to try and verify this person's identity and give them the mail, or am I safe to continue marking not at this address?

    submitted by /u/TychoGamma
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment