• Breaking News

    Monday, March 23, 2020

    Legal Advice - My car was hit by two kids on a Go-Kart and the police didn't take any of their info

    Legal Advice - My car was hit by two kids on a Go-Kart and the police didn't take any of their info


    My car was hit by two kids on a Go-Kart and the police didn't take any of their info

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 01:15 PM PDT

    I was working as an uber driver with a passenger in my car when 2 kids (11 & 13) ran a stop sign and hit my car. The police showed up and didn't take any of their info and now my insurance has declared the car a total loss with nobody to go after. The only lead I have of them is the ambulance records of that day but when I called they said they can't release any info because of the HIPAA laws. What could I possibly do in this situation? I've been out of work for 3 weeks now and I was trying to save up because I'm starting flight school soon. BTW this happened in Florida.

    submitted by /u/el_jon96
    [link] [comments]

    Someone stole my car

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 02:36 AM PDT

    California, US

    I had my car parked at work and someone stole my car. I went to report my car stolen at the police station but I got a call later saying I can't report it stolen because a title change occurred. I never sold my car, never signed anything. I feel completely powerless and violated. I honestly don't know what to do. If I find out who stole my car I will most likely snap because I don't know what else to do. This has never happened to me. What legal steps can I take?

    Edit: I can't find the title. My sister was coming back home from the army and I intended on giving her the car when she arrived. I most likely left the title in the car.

    submitted by /u/Tweaker_Under5150
    [link] [comments]

    Robbery of entire apartment complex

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    Hi, I am a student living in residence in Montreal. Due to Covid-19 many students have returned home and are not living in apartments, however me and one of my roommates are. A few days ago someone walked into our apartment (the door was locked) and stole my roommates laptop (just his laptop). We filed a police report and learned that our entire apartment complex was targeted. Whoever did this must have had a key as the doors were not broken into, and my neighbor had only his laptop stolen. We requested that our landlord change the locks, but he has not responded, and according to my neighbor he called his cell phone and was yelled at (I don't know the full details) . Is the landlord liable for stolen items if someone else had the key? Thanks for the help, we are unsure what to do right now.

    submitted by /u/Shell_Guy_
    [link] [comments]

    I am in 11th grade. Someone said on Facebook that he’s going to bring a gun to school and start shooting as soon as school opens back up again. What should I do?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    Florida

    submitted by /u/Lanky-List
    [link] [comments]

    HOA wants me to replace horizontal windows with vertical ones. Nothing in bylaws about window direction.

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    I'm in Virginia and I'm a military spouse. We are moving from VA back to my home state in 9 months. When we first bought this house we replaced the old windows, I called and got confirmation that the HOA didn't care what kind of windows we put in.

    Fast forward to 2 months ago and I got an email from the HOA saying I had to replace the windows because they open horizontally instead of vertically. That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard and after paying thousands for my windows I'm not paying thousands more for them to open in a different direction.

    There is NOTHING in the bylaws stating the direction of the windows matter. I refused and they called an HOA "hearing" where I would have to go in front of the HOA. That got cancelled due to COVID19 and they just emailed me saying that I was going to be denied anyways and had to replace them.

    I'm getting daily emails harassing me about these windows. Do they have a leg to stand on or can I just hold my ground until I leave?

    Last note- other houses in the neighborhood have similar windows as I do which also open horizontally.

    submitted by /u/A-Lili19
    [link] [comments]

    (MO) Lease will be up soon, landlord is requiring I buy dish TV and Internet service from them. I don’t own a TV.

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/djzbMjG

    Can my landlord require me to buy an amenity like TV and Internet?

    My lease will be up soon and I received a flyer on my door. (Pic 1) apparently my landlord will be charging everyone at the apartments for amenities whether they use them or not. I spoke with several other residents and everyone will be forced to pay an extra 65 dollars a month upon renewal of their lease.

    I attached a copy of the relevant lease pages (pic 2-3) needless to say I'm very unhappy being forced to buy their TV and internet service as I'm happy with my current internet provider and do not use a TV service. The office says I can keep my provider but will still be charged for theirs as well.

    This is ridiculous, what is a "required amenity?" Is that possible? This just sounds like a rent increase to me. Can they demand I buy their amenity? I think the landlord is betting everyone will bite the bullet rather than go through the hassle of moving, especially with the current pandemic.

    Thank you for your help! I'm looking for options as I'm not interested in being forced to buy their service.

    submitted by /u/Knifetoface
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] Groom is dying, time is of the essence. Getting married via Skype "in" another state?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 04:40 PM PDT

    A friend of mine knows a couple in NYC that wants to get married. COVID-19 has obviously put any plans on hold, especially since they still need to get the license.

    The problem is the groom is in hospice, and has maybe a few weeks left to live. He desperately wants to marry his fiancee before he passes.

    They've heard about some states performing weddings via Skype, and some (like TN, and I think VT) let you apply for a license online. Would they be able to apply for a TN (or other state) marriage license, and then be married by a TN (or whatever) official via Skype?

    Is there any other recourse they might have to get married in NYC during all of this? Would it be possible to do an otherwise legal ceremony sans license, and have it validated after the fact? (I know that's been done in the past, under special circumstances.)

    Thanks, guys.

    submitted by /u/Catlore
    [link] [comments]

    Employer Cut my Salary by 1/3rd and Still Expects 40 Hour Work Weeks

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    To get right into it, my employer cut ALL EXEMPT EMPLOYEES salary by 1/3rd today, 3/23/20, and still expects EXEMPT EMPLOYEES to work 40 hours. This was after receiving an email on Friday 3/20/20 stating ALL EMPLOYEES EXEMPT AND NON-EXEMPT were to cut back hours to 5 hours a day and apply for unemployment compensation. We exempt employees were also told that we would not be covered by unemployment under these new conditions as well.

    I am thankful to have a job, especially with everything that is going on now, but I feel as though this can't possibly be legal. I am a resident of PA if that helps.

    Thank you in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/unhappyandemployed
    [link] [comments]

    Myself and 222 others at my company were laid off in an effort to reach under 500 employees, so they could receive funding from the government. Is that legal?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    Title explains most of the situation. I was employed in Missouri as of this morning. My company was in the middle of meetings where they talked about this new stimulus package. It only applies to companies with 50 to 500 employees. We had 723 employees as of this morning. They have let go 100s of people today. Is that legal? Who do I call if it isn't legal?

    submitted by /u/LionHead25
    [link] [comments]

    Boss is trying to take over $2000 out of my paycheck due to what he calls negligence. Is this legal?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 05:08 PM PDT

    I work for a financial broker, we represent over 60 RV Dealerships across the country and we do all of their financing with local and national banks.

    Part of my job is to run a consumers credit, match them with the best banks, and then contact them with their terms. One bank we have will suddenly change rate tiers when they receive proof of the customers income.

    Well, I have only been in this position for 6 months. That rate change scenario is not something I have come across and I have not been trained on. Really, I haven't had much training other than my own self-guided training.

    Well the customer got very upset with the rate change. I explained to them the issue, this was based off their income they stated coming in low, nothing I could have done to change that. The dealer decides to cut the cost of the unit by $1000, which my brokerage decides to split with them.

    Today I get a call from my boss, who says he will be taking $2300 out of my pay over the next two pay periods. He claims he will be taking it because of the loss of profit we would have made on this deal, plus the $500 we ate to get the deal done, as well as some fees he waived for the dealer.

    Is this legal? I am in Ohio, if that helps. I have been able to find this:

    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4113.19

    "No person shall sell goods or supplies to his employee, or pay such employee wages or a part thereof in goods or supplies, directly or through the intervention of scrip, orders, or other evidence of indebtedness, at higher prices than the reasonable or current market value in cash of such goods or supplies, or, without an express contract with his employee, deduct or retain the wages of such employee, or a part thereof, for wares, tools, or machinery destroyed or damaged."

    I don't know if this applies to me since this is a profit loss and not damaged company property.

    I haven't signed anything saying I will allow the deduction from my commission to happen. I haven't signed any formal paperwork for when I started this position, either. But I am a W2 employee with an employee number.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post. Just seeing if I should lawyer up.

    TL;DR: Work for a financial broker in the RV industry, customer got upset about a rate change, dealership had to cut the cost to get the deal done, boss is trying to take over 2k out of my commissions to make up the profit loss. Wondering if this is legal?

    submitted by /u/ribbit_tidbit
    [link] [comments]

    My friend's pedo/predator ex boyfriend won't leave her alone

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 08:27 PM PDT

    I just made an account specifically for this reason, sorry if my format sucks I'm trying to make this as short and sweet as possible. In need of some serious legal advice, this guy has been harassing and stalking my friend for almost a year now. She broke up with him because he was super abusive, the relationship actually ended in him having to leave the state because he now has a warrant for his arrest here for domestic violence. Since he left, he has used her old photos including her nude pics to make fake accounts pretending to be her, and uses her to solicit minors for nudes photos. Just 3 days ago he stole all her money from her PayPal because he still has it connected to his google store, we know it was him because the transaction came from where we know he is currently staying. He has physically assaulted me before, I witnessed his abuse towards my friend first hand and there are multiple girls willing to testify against him. We know what state he's in but that's it, no city or anything. We've considered contacting local authorities there but we don't know his exact location. It wouldn't be such an issue if he could just stop and leave her alone, but he continues to make fake accounts with her pics on instagram and different dating sites. So, any advice on what we can do about this? I know it's a whole mess... but we are really at a loss for what to do right now it seems hopeless. We are collecting evidence but what then? Will the authorities really care? Especially since we don't know where he is... I doubt it

    submitted by /u/spookiiiboiii
    [link] [comments]

    My mom passed in November with no will. I cannot lose my family home it’s all I have.(NY)

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    I genuinely am worried I am going to lose the only home I know because my mother failed to inform me about her cancer progressing to stage 5 and by the time I found out the truth she only lived one more week.

    My grandfather was the original owner and he passed in 2001. I am not sure if the deed was transferred to my mother or she just inherited the house. Well now she has since passed away and left only a written note saying everything is to be given to me and it is not notarized. She did it in her drawer at the house for me to find.

    I got a letter in the mail about health management services saying New York State Medicaid Program has "intent to file a claim against the estate". It had a number so I called it and the lady said it showed no amount but to still fill out the questions they sent and it will likely be dropped? Are they saying that my mother owes Medicaid money? Is the estate the house? I am sincerely worried they are trying to go after the house and I already know back taxes are owed and I'm super overwhelmed.

    Who do I talk to? A certain kind of lawyer? Also who do I call to find out how to pay the back taxes?

    All I want is to live in peace in this house after 10 heartbreaking years caring for my mom. It's all I have. Also is there a way to get the deed officially transferred to me? It may still be in my grandfathers name. Also I am an only child there are no other relatives at all to make any claims. :( Thank you folks

    submitted by /u/Tryclydetonguepunch
    [link] [comments]

    My nudes are being sent to people without my consent? What legal recourse do I have in the state of Texas?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:56 AM PDT

    Last night I received a photo from a number. It was a full frontal nude I took when I was 15 I'm currently 19. The message was just the photo and I replied saying "I mean fire right?" About 10 minutes later an old high school friend of mine messaged me saying she also received the photo from the same number. We tried calling it with no answer we believe it's a fake number probably through an app. So far nothing has been posted on social media but they are now also claiming they have a video of me. I do not know their intentions with these photos and videos but I never gave my consent for them to be shared amongst others. I have no clue what to do to stop them from posting my private photos. Is their anything I can do to help my self from being exposed on social media ?

    I'm in the state of Texas.

    submitted by /u/belenisdead
    [link] [comments]

    Found out I did not register for selective service at 27

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    So I just moved to a new state and applied for a government job and today the told me they found no record of me signing up for selective service. I lived in New Jersey and remember filling out the form when I returned from school out of state (I turned 18 shortly after arriving to college) I assumed I had been registered as I always checked yes for that box when I applied for jobs and thought background checks were meant to address any errors in a job application. I'm worried because there's no way I can undo this and I really don't want to face felony charges for something that I thought I did Further, isn't the SSL something you register for when you register to vote or renew your driver's license? What do I do?

    submitted by /u/gay_ghoti_yo
    [link] [comments]

    Derm clinic in King County, WA refusing to stop cosmetic procedures and refuses to follow social distancing guidelines

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 07:53 AM PDT

    I work as a medical admin assistant at a private practice dermatology office in King County, Wa. We have had a substantial number of deaths from COVID19 in our county. The medical director/ owner of the clinic has sent out multiple email messages to our patients stating that we keeping with CDC standards and that we are preparing to stay open during all the nonessential medical office closures in our area. We are not adhering to the cdc standards. We are not practicing social distancing with over 10 patients in our very small lobby at a time often most patients are over the age of 60. There has been no instructions from the owner to increase sanitation and the governor released a proclamation prohibiting cosmetic procedure to save PPE(personal protective equipment ie: masks, gowns, gloves) for those who actually need it. Last week Friday the owner/medical director performed a cosmetic procedure on a potion over 60 after the proclamation had been announced. The office has loads of PPE that should be going to the hospital as the amount of confirmed cases in my states reaches near 2000. I do not know what to do, where to report her, if I can report her? And I am also afraid of retaliation for reporting her. If I can quit because of the safety hazard to not only the patients but our over 60 staff as well.

    submitted by /u/weeping_fig
    [link] [comments]

    My Dad's son is abusing his POA and courts are closed right now. Please help.

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    I live in British Columbia Canada

    So, my Dad had a stroke, has a newly discovered done infection, heart disease and pneumonia right now. He was working up until 3 weeks ago. Hes 74 with 7 children, 2 are appointed POA.

    The main POA is his 2nd eldest son, hes been emotionally abusing my Dad and I just found out that he is financially abusing him as well. My dad lives with him and in February, he asked that I come to visit him and "help with filing taxes" which I found out was code for "I need to get out of here and away from my son". So far Chuck (the son and POA) has: • "borrowed" $6800, $3000 of which my Dad didnt even know about. I have evidence. • tried to isolate my dad from my sister and I (he got screaming angry when my sister showed up to visit at my dad's request, then got mad again when I stopped in to say a quick Hi while I was passing through town) • neglected to have my dad checked out by a doctor when his speech started slipping and he started falling. (Signof stroke that he should have caught seeing as he is an active paramedic) • now, with Dad in the hospital, he picked up my Dad's phone and wallet and refuses to return them, so now my dad can't call anyone while he is there to say any goodbyes he might want to make (his condition is fairly serious and doesnt look like hes going to recover) • has removed my sister, my dads ex wife (my mother) and me from my dads facebook and has made posts as my dad. • visited my dad after being told by nurses not to, for 2 TWO reasons, 1. Chuck just returned from out of the country travel during a pandemic. 2. Chuck is in essential services and is exposed toso many sick people and my dad is immunocompromised. (A day after chuck visiting my dad, he got very sick with some sort of respiratory illness that they concluded was pneumonia, I'm not sure if that could have been caused by him visiting...)

    So, my problem is, courts aren't doing much right now during the pandemic, I'm waiting to hear back from my Fathers Lawyer about obtaining committeeship. What else can I do to prevent my dad's POA from continuing to abuse him?? I dont think I can call the police to do anything unless I have a court order...

    Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm so lost on what to do...

    PS the 2nd POA has been no help after I went to him for help, he's ignoring all my messages, questions and calls.

    submitted by /u/Kikipanda88
    [link] [comments]

    Family is attempting to kick us out because of COVID fear.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 10:59 PM PDT

    Family who my(f25) bf and I(m25) have been renting from for two years want to move us out because there has been in reported case in my city- and because my bfs is still currently working. They are in their 60s/70s and scared of potentially catching it.

    Currently we our room is detached from the house, so we have to knock to gain entrance. We have been cut off from entering, and told to use a hose/bucket/Barbecue instead. We are still paying rent, obviously this isn't legal- but what should I currently be doing right now? We are located in California if that helps. I'm going to try calling renters Association tomorrow. If they do anything, what should I expect?

    submitted by /u/forfuckssakejad
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal for a general contractor business to charge clients for compiling an itemized statement? Is charging $200/hr normal for this practice?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 05:31 PM PDT

    Friend in abusive relationship

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 08:07 PM PDT

    US, TX.

    She's with this guy who is blackmailing her with intimate videos. He's went into her phone and gotten all her contacts. Says if she doesn't do what he wants, he'll send them to everyone in her phone and then post it online. I have told her that what he's doing is very illegal but she won't do anything because she's scared of him. He's threatened her saying he'll go after her friends and family. I have tried to reassure her that if she goes to the cops they will protect her. It's their job. She doesn't believe me though. She thinks they'll arrest him, release him, and he'll go after someone she cares about. What can be done?

    submitted by /u/TheSecretPrincess
    [link] [comments]

    I was withholding rent until the toxic mold was fixed in my NJ apartment. I am Disabled. Now I'm quarantined. What happens now?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 01:51 AM PDT

    Sorry if this is too wordy.
    I've been having a not unfriendly issue with my landlord dealing with mold in my apartment. He left a roof leak for years before finally admitting it and fixing it, then left my kitchen in disrepair for a year. I pointed out the mold growing in the cracked and buckled walls, and he decided to fix it himself by tearing the mold filled plaster down while I was home, spraying it with mildew cleaner, leaving it like that for a week, then plastering over it. He never sealed the area off, and my whole apartment was exposed to toxic mold.

    This process made me very sick. I had a pounding headache and burning eyes for weeks. I realized that my chronic hives started when moving there, five years ago. Mold testers came and tested the air, and found four kinds of mold: one the toxic black kind, one dangerous for someone with compromised immune system and crap lungs, as I have. The mold test company gave a guideline of how the mold should be treated, and recommended a company remediate the issue.

    My landlord wanted to do it himself. I begged him to hire someone, as "reasonable accommodation" of my lung problems and immune issues, and based on the fact that he already made me sick once before by trying to fix it. He refused. (He did bring by a hepa filter for me to use, which he bought as part of his DIY plan, which did improve things.)

    For him to treat the apartment, I have to vacate with my cats. He needs to fog the apartment and spray it down with Biocide, then he has to clean every horizontal surface where the chemicals settled. I don't trust him to properly clean up after himself, and the chemicals used are bad for lung health. I was originally going to let him do it, hope he didn't fuck it up, or... deal with the health consequences, taking legal action when he invariably fucked it up and again made me sick.

    So, I had asked him to give me a week or so to find a place to go with my cats. At this point I'd been actively trying to get the mold dealt with for a month and a half.

    But then the Covid lockdown happened.

    I'm not willing to risk him making me more sick again.

    He just emailed me today, saying he didn't get March rent, and that he wanted to come and treat my apartment for mold. I hadn't told him that I was withholding rent until my apartment was mold free, but he clearly knows that's what is going on.

    I am disabled. I have literally five ailments that would each make me "at risk" individually. I'm on hard lockdown. I can't interact with anyone, can't leave the house. (I am working on getting a doctor note stating that.)

    I can't have him come here. I can't leave. But the apartment doesn't meet the guidelines of habitability.

    What happens now? Can he make me go to a hotel?

    Part of the steps of treating mold that he promised to follow is that he's supposed to get someone to come and test the apartment when he's done to deem it mold free. I don't know that he could even find someone to do that right now.

    I'm terrified to leave the house. I'm in Jersey City, right outside of NYC. If I catch the Covid, I will probably die.

    No matter what I do, my lungs are fucked.

    submitted by /u/Foxcited
    [link] [comments]

    (MI) Elderly Aunt being forced to work through Stay at Home order

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    My aunt works for a book bindery. After our governor declared a Stay at Home order here in Michigan her bosses told my aunt and her co-workers that the book bindery is an essential business and must continue to work. My aunt is at high risk for coronavirus and wanted to work from home but they said no. They also said that if anyone decides not to come in and file for unemployment during the lockdown they will be considered self terminated. Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/Mule1069
    [link] [comments]

    23andme to find biological parents

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    Hello. My father was adopted in North Carolina. The adoption was closed and he had very limited information about his biological parents. Last year I signed up for 23andme. I wasn't searching for his parents- I was given the kit as a gift and thought it could be interesting. Long story short I connected with his biological family. My dads biological fathers sister (sorry a bit confusing) reached out to me through 23andme and eventually my biological grandfather also reached out to me. I reiterated to both of them many times I had no intention of intruding. When I told my dad this information his wife (my stepmother) then told me that what I had done was illegal since the adoption was closed. I told them both I didn't go actively searching for his biological family and that they reached out to me. She has continued to text and email me. I don't plan on arguing with her but I would really like to set the record straight about whether what I did was illegal or not.

    submitted by /u/pickledric
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal in the state of California to move a full time employee to part time?

    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 10:41 PM PDT

    This employee is on salary, and currently has no benefits through the company.

    Unfortunately due to the virus, there just isn't enough work to pay my employee to be full time at the moment. Legally I am not sure where I stand in terms of moving her to part time hours.

    submitted by /u/PicklesandPlants
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment