• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 19, 2020

    Legal Advice - AI comes to LA! AMA and discussion about a new AI that will help provide resources to posters in r/legaladvice on Friday, 11/20 at 4pm ET/1PM PT

    Legal Advice - AI comes to LA! AMA and discussion about a new AI that will help provide resources to posters in r/legaladvice on Friday, 11/20 at 4pm ET/1PM PT


    AI comes to LA! AMA and discussion about a new AI that will help provide resources to posters in r/legaladvice on Friday, 11/20 at 4pm ET/1PM PT

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 01:26 PM PST

    Big News. We are launching an AI and we will be hosting an AMA to explain what is going on.

    The AI: Locationbot will have a new friend - the Reddit Eviction help bot.

    The Eviction Help Bot uses the legal issue spotter Spot which was initially developed by the Suffolk Law School Legal Innovation & Technology Lab in conjunction with Stanford Law School's Legal Design Lab. Spot is essentially an "AI" or "learning Machine" which was developed using questions and answers posted right here on /r/legaladvice. The questions were then run through a game played by law students and other legal professionals. In the course of this game the players taught Spot to identify legal issues when they were written in normal conversational English by regular OPs.

    The bot is deployed when Spot identifies a message or a question on /r/legaladvice to be related to housing. If the legal issue in a message is identified as a housing issue, then the bot responds by referring the user to the legalfaq platform. Legal FAQ provides users with jurisdiction specific information regarding eviction on a local, state and federal level. The platform functions as a 'front door', it provides users basic orientation on their rights and then hands them off to service providers who can help them.

    Because Spot is a learning machine as there are more interactions with it, it will grow smarter and be better able to help people looking for legal assistance.

    The AMA

    On Friday, November 20th at 4pm ET/1PM PT members of Stanford's Legal Design Lab, Suffolk's Legal Innovation and Technology Lab, and yours truly will answer any questions you may have about this bot, legal AI in general, how learning machines work, and anything else that strikes your fancy.

    From Stanford Law School in Palo Alto California:

    • Margaret Hagan: Margaret Hagan is the Executive Director of the Stanford Legal Design Lab, working to bring law & design together. Margaret holds a JD from Stanford Law, as well as an AB from the University of Chicago, an MA from Central European University in Budapest, and a PhD from Queen's University Belfast in International Politics.

    • Nóra Al Haider: Nóra Al Haider is the Lab's Policy and Design Lead. She is interested in combining the fields of law, tech and design to find human-centred solutions for complex problems. Nóra holds a Bachelor (honours) and Research Master in Law from Utrecht University.

    • Metin Eskili: Metin Eskili is the Lab's developer and technologist. He is a full-stack developer who builds access to justice technology for us to implement and research. Metin holds a bachelor degree in computer engineering from Turkey.

    From Suffolk Law School in Boston, Massachusetts:

    • David Colarusso, Director of the Legal Innovation and Technology Lab. David Colarusso is the Director of Suffolk University Law School's Legal Innovation and Technology Lab. An attorney and educator by training, he has worked as a public defender, data scientist, software engineer, and high school physics teacher.

    • Quinten Steenhuis, Clinical Fellow. Steenhuis is a clinical fellow in the Legal Innovation and Technology Lab. Quinten has practiced housing and eviction defense law since 2008, and has been a professional programmer and web application developer since 2001. He speaks at area law schools and blogs frequently on the topic of legal technology. He works on projects addressing social justice and access to justice with technology focusing on the topic of housing and evictions.

    In light of the late Friday nature of the AMA I'm going to leave this post up for any questions starting now and they will be answered starting Friday at 4pm ET/1pm PT. Feel free to post your questions or comments below.

    submitted by /u/Zanctmao
    [link] [comments]

    My apartment "threw away" 99% of my belongings in my corporate apartment because my boss stopped paying rent without telling me. Do I have a civil or small claims case? (TX)

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 12:21 PM PST

    I went out of town for about two weeks due to my job having a huge downturn in work and being furloughed. When I came home, my apartment had no power and almost all of my belongings were gone. I talked to my boss and he told me "I thought you moved", despite me giving no reason to think that. He stopped paying my rent and utilities at the apartment, so the apartment complex presumed it was abandoned.

    I spoke with, and recorded, the apartment manager and was told that I wasn't evicted and there was no process followed other than "We thought it was abandoned because there was no power, so we threw everything away." The apartment manager gave me timestamped documentation of all of the calls, texts and emails to my boss explaining the severity of the situation because he hadn't paid rent in over a month. When I mentioned the recording, the apartment manager lost her cool, yelled at me to leave, and told me she would be informing corporate that I violated her rights by recording without her consent.

    My boss took zero responsibility for all of this, so now I'm trying to see if I have any legal standing to pursue a civil case against him, the apartment complex, or possibly both.

    submitted by /u/trane8
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord not allowing me to move out of mold and mushroom-infested apartment even though I have doctor's note that says I need to move "as soon as possible."

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 11:07 AM PST

    (Louisiana, US) In the past week, I've found mushrooms growing through the walls of my laundry room due to a leak above me and mold growing quickly on the bathroom ceiling due to another leak. (Pics of the mushrooms can be found in my post history). I can give more details if needed, but I'll just say that it's clear that both of these problems will require extensive repairs to fix.

    I have allergies and asthma and have had a few medical issues since moving into the apartment. I got a doctor's note saying "I advise to have immediate mold remediation or relocate to another residence as soon as possible." I wrote a letter to management and included the doctor's note, asking to terminate my one-year lease (which I'm about 5 months into) early with no penalties.

    They responded saying that they treated the areas with anti-mildew/mold solution and removed the mushrooms, so they are not able to let me out of my lease. Additionally, they did say that part of the sheetrock in the bathroom does need to be replaced due to water damage (a maintenance man cut into the wall to drain some water). However, they are not going to fix the ceiling with the mold because they cannot find the leak, nor will they be replacing the sheetrock or cleaning behind the wall with the mushrooms. They suggested that I reread the lease's mold addendum (which basically just includes tips to prevent mold.) I have taken precautions to prevent mold, even purchasing a large dehumidifier.

    Basically, I'm still living with mold and mushrooms on and around the walls/ceiling of my apartment, so I think my doctor's note is still valid. Can they just dismiss the doctor's note like that? Or should I get a lawyer?

    submitted by /u/hastthoudreamt
    [link] [comments]

    I bought a security camera for my room in my apartment because I thought my roommate was stealing from me. The literal day I installed it it caught video of her going in my ro and going through my drawers. She says that I'm going to jail because I illegally recorded her.

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 02:25 PM PST

    I noticed some things were missing in my room and went to buy a camera for my room. I installed it and then went to get some food. Within 10 minutes it caught her twice going in my room and going through my things. She said I illegally recorded her without her consent. The camera only shows my room and a small portion of the hallway wall if the door is open. I put a note on a wall in my room saying camera in use. I live in South Carolina which I believe is a one party consent state but I don't know if that's just for recording calls or cameras in general. My other roommate is fine with it in my room. Is there any merit to her claims or is she just lying to protect herself?

    submitted by /u/mrwatanagashi
    [link] [comments]

    NYC - Hit and run victim, found footage of the incident, what next?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 06:14 PM PST

    This morning I walked out to my car that was parked on the street and found that my front bumper was nearly completely ripped off. It looks as if someone had clipped the front left side of the vehicle - no note left behind. I called my car insurance company (Geico) only to find that I don't have collision coverage and that since there was no note left behind from the offender that was on my own to solve the problem. The claim was closed shortly after.

    Fortunately, there are a number of businesses with street facing cameras on the block where I had parked my car. A nightclub across the street pulled the footage, and you can clearly see a tractor trailer towing another tractor trailer turning onto my street, hitting my car, and driving away. In the footage, you can make out the first 6 digits (XXX)-XXX of a phone number painted on the side of the driving tractor trailer. When I Google the 6 digits and "towing", the results point to a local towing company.

    I filed a police report shortly afterwards - while the officers were helpful they referred me to my insurance for any assistance in getting paid and that they wouldn't have a detective take any steps as I was not in the car and uninjured in the incident. I gave GEICO a call to update them on the footage - they took down the towing place's info but let me know since I did not have collision coverage they would not be taking any legal steps towards a remedy.

    I'm looking to get more security footage from my building to see if I can get a license number or clearer look at the phone number. Either way - what would be the best way to try and get payment for my damaged car? I've gotten some quotes on repairing/replacing - could be anywhere from $500-$1000. Wondering if it's worth trying to get a lawyer involved (especially if I can track down more footage) or if the costs for one wouldn't make sense to pursue.

    TL;DR: I learned the importance of collision coverage and a dash cam while parking in Brooklyn. Footage of the perpetrator was discovered, but the evidence isn't watertight. Should I get a lawyer involved, or contact the business directly?

    submitted by /u/nychitandrunner
    [link] [comments]

    Signed a Lease for a 3 Bedroom Apartment that Clearly has only 2 bedrooms

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 09:41 AM PST

    I moved from New England to Austin, TX, and applied for and signed a lease for what was listed as a 3 bedroom apartment in the city. I wasn't able to tour the apartment due to being on the other side of the country during a pandemic. When I got to the apartment for the first time it clearly has only two bedrooms. The Lease doesn't specifically describe the apartment but I have screenshots and emails with the management company where they clearly refer to it as 3 bedrooms.

    They said this was due to a bug on their end where the information was pulled in wrong and actually have records of the last tenant where it is listed as a two-bedroom, but because it is their application policy that tenants must tour the property there's nothing they are going to do about changing the lease. They gave me a $100 credit for the inconvenience and I believe this to be much less than deserved for this massive oversight.

    Do I have any recourse to either get out of the lease, refunded for what I've paid before, or at the least greater compensation than $100 for an entire bedroom missing? It seems like it is pretty clearly false advertising to me.

    submitted by /u/chillstrip
    [link] [comments]

    US Customs emptied 70% of my package when none of the contents violated any regulation. Is there anything I can do?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 04:00 PM PST

    So basically, I sent a package from Korea to the US (NY) containing a bunch of food (mostly ramen and dried food, small packets of powder soup, and instant rice) which weighed around 13 kilograms.

    But when it arrived finally arrived (3 weeks later than "guaranteed" date), i realised that the package barely weighed 1 kilogram. They took out all of ramen, and most of the instant food. I had people check the regulations and none of the contents violated anything before shipping it, and it wasn't even like they had a system for taking certain food out. They took the same type of instant food as the one they left in the box, and random snacks. Some of the bags were ripped open and their content was spilling out, and I found multiple wrapping pieces of some of the food that were taken out. I can't think of anything that could have happened other than the customs people taking them for personal satisfaction.

    The cost of the missing food plus the shipping was around 600 USD, and while this may seem very small, I'm a uni student and it's quite a hefty cost for me, especially more since I was planning to stock them for winter break. I requested an investigation and they said they didn't find anything wrong. Is there a way to bring this as a legal issue and seek compensation? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/exersilver
    [link] [comments]

    Living with ex in shelter with our two kids and she’s threatening to kick me out if I “lie” again.

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 07:52 PM PST

    I live in the US. New York, New York. First off I didn't lie to her. She just thinks I did and we argued over it. Which was over a can of formula that i got for our daughter. Her and I have been separated but living in the shelter for a year now. My thing is can she kick me out since she's the head person on the case? Also if I do decide to leave can I take her to court for our kids? I pay for everything and I'm the only one working. She does have food stamp and WIC but when that runs out i buy everything. I buy her food, pay for her stuff she needs and our daughters things as well. Whatever they need. She isn't working due to being pregnant at the time and school. She's since graduated which I paid for. She's dependent on me working and so are our daughters. I cant stand staying with her. I'm only here for our girls. We're suppose to get a place in January and she want her to mess that up. We have a voucher for a place and the place is ready in January in system island and it all depends on me since I'm the only one working. I'll be paying the rent and other expenses. I'm trying to be civil and I don't want to have to go to court for our girls. My thing is will I have a case? What's the right thing to do ? I'm so lost in what I should do? I know I can save enough money up to go rent a room till I can find a better job eventually and possibly get my own place. I don't want my girls to stay here. This isn't what I envisioned. If I leave her mother will throw away a good place for our kids. She's draining me mentally. What do I do? Sorry for the rant.

    submitted by /u/EricValzArroyo
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor recording my backyard

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 08:53 PM PST

    My new neighbor, whom I have yet to meet, has a camera pointed directly into my backyard. This camera does not pick up any of his property, as this particular corner of his house is only about a foot from my property line. The only thing it records is my backyard and side of my house. Is this legal? tia

    submitted by /u/dmw0419
    [link] [comments]

    How illegal is work 80+ hours and getting paid 50?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 08:30 PM PST

    My wife is currently works ridicules hours, at least 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. I have seen 100 hours in a week a few times. I knew she clocked out a lot and continued working but I saw her paystub last week and it was 50 hours, really 100 hours in 2 weeks, but there is no way she worked less then 80. This has been going on since March. She works in a franchise a big one. What would happen if the labor board (Delaware) were to get a Anonymous tip? More to get her to stop working so much then to get her in trouble, or the money. She clocks out on her own, but her direct manager knows she does and encouraged it. She is hourly.

    submitted by /u/dinger31390
    [link] [comments]

    Post-Mortem House Drama

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 02:42 PM PST

    Hey All,

    My mother recently passed away from cancer. Before she died, we signed a lady bird deed issuing me the house after her death. We did this for the sole purpose of returning the house to the mortgage company, as she has only owned the house for ~8 or so months, and there is not much equity. The mortgage payments are also substantial, $2000 per month. No one in my family can afford it, including my mother's live-in partner. We are in the not-so-great state of Florida.

    My mother's boyfriend (we'll call him B from now on) is not on the mortgage. He gave my mother $20,000 as a down payment on the house, with the understanding that she would pay the mortgage for until she met that $20,000 mark.

    I live out of state, so my intent was originally to follow my mother's wishes -- to let the house return to the bank. However, B said that we should sell the house and attempt to regain some of the money back for him. I agreed that I would pursue it. Upon discussing with realtors, the fee (5%) and the liability (stipulated in the contract -- if the house is foreclosed while under contract with the realtors, I would need to pay 14.5% in commission) led me to decide against selling the house.

    B is furious. He believes that I am screwing him out of $20,000 by not selling the house for him. I wish my mother had signed the ladybird deed over to him, but she didn't. The house is in my possession, and the mortgage has a "Due on Transfer" clause. "If any part of the property or any interest in the property is sold or transferred without Lender's prior written consent, Lender may require immediate payment in full of all sums secured by this Security Instrument. However, this option shall not be exercised by the lender if such exercise is prohibited by Applicable Law."

    As far as I see it, I have two options:

    1. Sign a quit-deed over to B. Would one of us have to pay the remainder of the mortgage in this instance?
    2. Foreclose on the house and wait to see if I get sued.

    TLDR - Deceased mother's partner not on mortgage, threatens to sue me if I foreclose. Would love to quit-deed the property to him, but am concerned that I would have to pay Due on Transfer clause monies. Feel pressured to sell the house but do not want to take on liability or responsibility given out of state nature. Live in another state, property is in FL.

    submitted by /u/FourHalvesofButt
    [link] [comments]

    Mortgage company didn’t pay the insurance company so we were dropped. We found out 4 months later due to mortgage spiking and now no company will take us.

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 12:32 PM PST

    This is in Florida, if that matters.

    I purchased my townhouse in May 2019 as a first time homeowner and my mortgage company paid my insurance company with my escrow and everything was affordable.

    When it came time to pay the insurance company again I was assured the mortgage company took care of it so I didn't worry.

    Come September my husband logged in to pay his mortgage and it was $400 more than previous months! He calls the mortgage company and they tell us that they made several attempts to get in contact with the insurance company to pay them and we're not being called back. So our insurance company dropped us and the mortgage company placed us onto their insurance which is insane expensive and doesn't cover a lot.

    So, I called my broker and he claims that he never received a call, to which my mortgage company says they have records, but when he gave me a new quote it was over $2000 for a townhome!

    No mortgage company will touch us because we had a lapse in coverage.

    Due to Covid I didn't get a promotion I was meant to receive or my yearly raise - not that either of those things would help with a huge increase in mortgage.

    My father says it sounds like I lawsuit because I am being severely affected and may lose my home over something I had no control over.

    My mortgage company and my insurance broker won't help me and I have blown through my savings because I also had a baby in September.

    Is there any legal action I can take?

    submitted by /u/SpookyCatMischief
    [link] [comments]

    I have Pigs, They are Illegal, Now I don't know what to do.

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 06:10 AM PST

    Hey friends.
    Back in October a friend of mine posted on facebook that they were needing to re-home some pigs.I live in a semi urban environment, but I had built a pen that was originally intended to house chickens/phesants, and I can basically walk a couple blocks and be sitting in front of a livestock farm.

    Long story short, I'm licensed by the state. I registered with the USDA as an agricultural property with livestock, and I already had about 14 chickens. Our local government has been defunct since basically the start of COVID.. They don't answer their phones, they've locked the doors to their facilities and the one person I finally got through to said that they don't issue zoning to residential for agricultural use.

    It has been hell since the day that I got the pigs. I can't even give them away. The local law that we have prohibits farm animals unless you are zoned agriculturally. I figured since our town hall had shut down due to covid, the best I was going to get was USDA "zoning"...

    Well, days after getting the pigs, I got a knock on my door from the local police, they got a complain that neighbors had complained about pigs, that I had a week to get rid of them or be faced with legal problems.

    Like I said, I couldn't even give them away for free. No one is processing pigs, and so no one is raising pigs.

    I'm now a couple months past that point. I have a call scheduled with the township attorney mid December.

    If I could, despite being like a couple grand in the hole from feed etc + 2 fines amounting to about $400, I would execute the damn things on the spot. However I can't discharge a firearm, and I'm concerned about animal cruelty if I were for instance to slit their throats.

    I regret my decision entirely. They've gotten out twice now, once when someone clipped the zip straps holding my gate closed, and once when a branch came down and wrecked part of the fence giving them enough space to get through.

    Let me just say it is HELL trying to get 3 pigs back into your yard in an urban environment.

    I was told by the local butcher that they weren't processing any pigs until January at the earliest. I'm worried that it may extend beyond that due to our state being at 100% capacity for hospitals.

    The only other alternative that I see at this point is releasing them into the wild.... and that isn't something I would want to do.. I know Texas is having major issues with ferral hogs, I wouldn't want to introduce that to my state... But I've run out of options.

    I'm scheduled to have a chat with the local attorney in December.
    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/throwaway1231444442
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice, Family members granted emergency custody. Parents of child fled to another state with the kid.

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 01:06 PM PST

    Hello, Earlier this week some family members were granted emergency custody of their cousin. We are in Alabama. Unfortunately the child's mother moved in with her abusive ex in Florida. We've been told that the emergency custody can only be enforced once the child is back in Alabama. I find this hard to believe.

    To me, if someone has been granted custody and are unable to get the child that should be at least close to kidnapping. There's a possibility of truancy warrants on the mother, but I don't know if that's enough to get police involved from out of state. Are there any other avenues that we can explore to try and get the custody order to go through?

    Thank you for your advice, obviously I'm not aware of the inner workings of the judicial system. I'm just trying to help family out by seeing if there are any other options to try.

    submitted by /u/drewdooed
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord texted us to move out, we found a new apartment, now he also wants our 30 day notice. - Portland, OR

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 04:50 PM PST

    Hi, I've been in this apartment for two years with my partner. We're both on a lease signed when we moved in that was good for 6-months, then we went month-to-month.

    Last week our landlord texted us that there shouldn't be a second person in the apartment and that it costs him an extra $37 a month for utilities to have more than one person. He also texted us saying we can't have pets in the unit. In regards to his first message, we both have been on the lease and we agreed to pay an extra $35 for utilities when we moved in, and have done so monthly.

    He then texted us "Perhaps you need to move."

    We knew he would probably have to give us 60 days to vacate and that it could complicate his cashflow because we might have to pay him rent late because of the added expenses of moving, and late rent is protected by Covid protections for tenants in Multnomah County. I suspect he just wants us to move on on our own terms because then he could flip the apartment faster.

    We found an apartment and can move in as soon as the 25th of this month, when we texted him that we could be out by the 1st, he stated that he wants 30 days notice. I know that he is entitled to that, but I found his earlier texts to be intimidating and thought that even though they weren't a formal notice to vacate, it could preclude the need for our full 30 days notice?

    Do I have a leg to stand on? Are we totally on the hook for the next months rent here?

    I appreciate any advice anyone has!

    submitted by /u/winkyyokosan
    [link] [comments]

    Targeted by city worker

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 06:19 PM PST

    In Kansas City, MO, My mother has been targeted by a city worker for some time now without knowing any reason why. She moved into the house about 9 or 10 years ago and has rented since. Before moving in, it was a literal crack house and completely broken down. It's still not great but it's on par with the neighborhood. Multiple houses on her street have boarded up windows and there's even another literal crack down down the road with missing windows, pallets out year-round, etc. The house immediately next to her has been abandoned for about 5 years now. Also, there's no HOA.

    One time she got fined because of a car parked in her grass, next to the driveway. At the same time, fined for having a garbage container left out in front of the house. A lot of houses in this neighborhood leave their bins out week-long every week and constantly have vehicles in their yards.

    Another time she was fined for vegetation from the neighboring abandoned house in our fence.

    Then today she's been harassed about a hose from a portable A/C unit venting out of the window because "it doesn't look good." My mother watched her park in the driveway of the abandoned house then come straight to her house and look for something to complain about.

    The only fair argument that was made was also today the worker complained about how she doesn't like how her roof looks. The roof has been like that since before moving in and looks just like the rest of the neighborhoods. The only reason I say it was fair was because of there being several layers on it but that wasn't even the complaint.

    submitted by /u/Larsenist
    [link] [comments]

    What to do if LAPD doesn’t respond to noise complaints?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 06:54 PM PST

    I live in Los Angeles. For noise complaints you're supposed to dial a "non emergency" line for police dispatch. My neighbors keep having loud parties / gatherings in their front yard where they play loud music and shouting well into the night on weeknights six feet from my windows. I've been putting up with this for months and I can't take another sleepless night - but the non emergency dispatch line just holds. And holds. And holds. I waited an hour and a half at one o clock in the morning last week and no one ever picked up so I just gave up. I tried calling my local station and no one picked up there either. I've tried about three separate times since and can't get through. The one other time I called in the spring they took my complaint and never even showed up. Neighbors stopped at 4AM.

    Is there anyone else I can call or anything else I can do about people gathering at all hours of the night next door if no one is answering the non emergency line?

    submitted by /u/LemDoggo
    [link] [comments]

    Parent left the country and left me with a massive car payment.. can I get rid of it?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 05:08 PM PST

    Before he left the country, my father took out a substantial car payment. I have been driving this car for the past couple of years and making his payment on it, but I am falling on hard times financially and I cannot keep paying every month for a car I don't own and isn't worth the outstanding amount on the policy.

    He is trying to convince me to keep paying for it, because "it's just a couple more years", but there's no way I can continue this. So what can I do? I can't sell the car, whether it was to a dealership or to a private buyer, because it isn't in my name. I can't have him declare bankruptcy from abroad, because apparently that requires you to have an in person meeting. I can't even scrap the car because I would be on the hook for the loan, and worst of all, I can't just stop making the payments, because I would be fucking over my dad, and I'm afraid that I'm in some way connected to the loan now because I've been paying for it on his behalf for so long. Can I have him call up the loan people and default on it? I'm in Canada. The difference between having to pay and not having to pay for this car could be making rent in a couple months time.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/SybilCut
    [link] [comments]

    Tenants blocked my number and are refusing me entry. WNY

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 07:43 AM PST

    Western NY.

    Tenants changed locks, won't provide me a key, and will not allow me entry for inspections or repairs unless I sell to them at half of other offers I've received.

    I've given them notice of end of term 12/31.

    I have an eviction attorney in anticipation of a holdover but what are my rights? The attorney took my deposit two days ago and hasn't responded yet.

    I want to make sure they're not trashing my property and make repairs (some of them safety concerns) before I list officially and also before they have an "accident" from repairs not being made and try to sue me.

    submitted by /u/Severe_Screen
    [link] [comments]

    Home builder purposely kept info from us

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 06:49 AM PST

    My fiancé and I are building a house in southern Erie county, NY (town of Boston). We have to have a well since public water lines stop about a mile down the road. The home is modular so the foundation was prepared and then the house was set on it. We assumed the well would be drilled before the house was on the foundation-it wasn't. In fact it was only drilled about 2 weeks ago. The house has been on the foundation since September 8th.

    The problem I have is that we requested all of the reports from the builder because they received them from the well driller. They denied receive vent any reports and acted like everything was fine.

    We called our builder numerous times and each time they assured us they had multiple calls into the well driller to try and get reports (gallons per minute, how deep, sediment, hardness, etc). We finally got fed up and called the well driller ourselves and got this information after we were tipped off by the builders own contractor that something fishy was going on with the well(he wouldn't provide exact details right away just that we needed to get the information from the builder immediately)

    So that brings us to today. Got the report that our well is only producing 1 Gpm- a min of 5 gpm is required for our mortgage to even go through and I've been told that's a law that we must meet the 5 gpm for the c of o.

    Our intel has also told us that the builder has already paid thousands to try and cover this up with unsuccessful attempts and the builder told us that the week of thanksgiving would be a good week to move in-so we took off. Both work in construction industry so taking off isn't an easy task.

    The builder still hasn't admitted that he knew about it all but we know for a fact that he did. Now the builder has a couple options including drilling a bigger well, drilling a deeper well and fracking it, or we may be able to get a storage tank in the basement if the mortgage company allows it. I just don't know where to go from here. I need opinions on what I should do.

    Oh also- because this is a construction to permanent loan, the builder is holding up getting to our actual mortgage and costing us a lot more money-currently paying 9% interest for the construction part.

    submitted by /u/theleanto
    [link] [comments]

    Employer requires waiting 20-30 minutes for a no show and pockets the fee if I don't stay a full hour doing office work at a reduced pay rate.

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 02:48 PM PST

    I work as a massage therapist. Our office charges a $50 no show fee if our clients do not arrive to their appointment. I work as an hourly employee, not on commission, but I do not receive hours for times I don't have someone on the books. My boss requires us to wait up to half an hour for our clients and if we leave when it's clear they will not arrive, does not pay for the time waited. I receive 40/hr when I work with a client. His policy is that I must stay for a full hour doing office tasks, for which I am compensated 25/hr. I am considered an essential worker due to being in a healthcare office.

    I feel like there a few sketchy things about this practice and would appreciate any input.

    submitted by /u/SyllogismAlmighty
    [link] [comments]

    Dad is threatening to sue me

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 07:03 PM PST

    I am 17 and I'm looking to move out of the house for personal reasons and my father wants me to stay even though we kind of live in a toxic household and I don't want to be apart of it. He is threatening to sue me if I leave and I'm really worried about the consequences if I do leave. Is he bluffing or can he actually sue me? Please help.

    submitted by /u/BlueKayso
    [link] [comments]

    Is my attorney screwing me?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 07:49 PM PST

    I had a really bad slip and fall accident about 2 years ago in a business parking lot that caused me to require rotator cuff surgery. I hired an attorney for help with all the medical bills as I didn't have health insurance at the time. My attorney filed the lawsuit in state court and it was served on the business owner properly by certified mail, return receipt, restricted delivery. Now, almost 2 years after filing the lawsuit, my attorney says the best he can do is get a default judgment against the business since the guy was served and never filed an answer or anything. Aren't judgments worthless in my case? Will I ever recover any of the costs of the medical bills? How can the business owner's insurance not cover this? I am in SC if that matters.

    submitted by /u/heymissamerica
    [link] [comments]

    My mom was on life support for pneumonia and her bf drained her bank account. Located in USA.

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 03:16 PM PST

    So, on October 5th my mother was put into the CPICU because she had pnemoccacal and aspiration pneumonia. She was on life support for 2 weeks. While she was fighting for life on life support her pos boyfriend drained her bank account $2,300. My mother has called the bank since she is now mostly recovered and told them to cancel her bank card. He also completely trashed their house while she was hospitalized. She is staying with me while she is getting her strength up. I'm trying to convince her to press charges against him but she doesn't know what steps to take. Can anyone give me a bit of advice?

    submitted by /u/nicolemboggess
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment