• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 22, 2020

    Legal Advice - (MA) Wedding venue closed down permanently without notice and won't return deposit

    Legal Advice - (MA) Wedding venue closed down permanently without notice and won't return deposit


    (MA) Wedding venue closed down permanently without notice and won't return deposit

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    My fiance and I were due to get married at this venue on May 30th. We had a signed contract back in February of 2019 and had placed a large deposit of $10,000. Obviously, with everything going on we were starting to except the wedding to either get canceled or postponed. What we didn't except is to find out that they were closing their doors permanently by reading an online article. Apparently they were having major money issues that nobody was aware of and they just couldn't survive any disruption in their business. This was last Thursday we found out and the article says that they laid off all their employees the day before on Wednesday. The only contact info we had was for our wedding coordinators who I'm assuming also lost their jobs. I've tried calling and emailing them, but have not been able to get a hold of anyone. We've basically been ghosted and they still have our money. For anyone wondering, the deposit was paid in the form of three separate checks.

    What can we do at this point? I haven't been able to find contact info for the owners online. Should we file in small claims even though our amount exceeds the MA limit?

    submitted by /u/ShadowIBlade
    [link] [comments]

    [CALIFORNIA] Employer is claiming that because they are considered a small business (under 20 employees total) they are not to the same labor laws.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    Employer has already cut us from salary to hourly wages because we had to transition to a three day work week due to COVID-19. They are indicating that if they have to shut down completely, we will not be able to use our vacation time and/or will lose all our vacation time if we file for unemployment. I have gone through California's department of labor website but have not been able to find any relevant information for our situation. Was wondering if anyone had any insight on what is employee are entitled to whether we work for a small business or not and/or if you can send any link where I can educate myself further in the matter.

    submitted by /u/Kreazy
    [link] [comments]

    Ex roommate threatening to tell my parents about my “cucks” if I don’t take her off the lease (Brooklyn ny)

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    Okay this is a lot of context. I do a mild form of sex work, where I spend time with men who are very submissive, and they want me to control their lives. I have never touched any of these men sexually ever in my life. It mostly involves going to dinner with them and them giving me money, gifts, etc. This is not only for me, bit my roommate has come with me to these events before, these men have paid for dates with me and my boyfriend, etc. I am fairly open with all of this with everyone in my life, even my fairly conservative parents. I've told them these fans of mine send me these gifts and payments, they think it's weird but whatever.

    That's the background. My roommate moved in, lied to me about getting approval from the landlord for her dog. Caused a huge upheaval and then abandoned the lease rather than rehoming the dog. As my roommate and I had been friends for years, I covered first month, security, and brokers fee (totaling $3750). She paid half of first month's rent, and now she is abandoning the lease without giving me time to find someone else by April. She also posted a huge Facebook status misrepresenting the situation to get people to bash me and harass me.

    Her cousin, a paralegal, got in touch with me to try and mediate. My roommate wants to be removed from the lease so she is not liable for future rent. I told her that if she signs a contract agreeing to pay me for the rest of first month's rent, April rent, and broker fee ($3100 total) over the next 5 months that I would take her off the lease. However, she has continued to make things very difficult.

    She is supposed to move out tmrw. Her cousin got in touch with me again today saying she didn't agree to pay April rent. I said okay, I am not comfortable removing her from the lease and the legal liability until the contract was signed or if she didn't agree to those terms we could go to small claims court. Her cousin then said via Facebook messenger to "remove her from the lease, or we'll tell your dad about your job." I informed them that blackmail is a felony and that this was harassment. Her cousin continued to say that "daddy won't like your Instagram" etc. So I blocked her cousin.

    At this point what are my steps. How can I protect myself legally and financially from these horrible people? I want to remove her from the lease so she no longer has any legal claim to the apartment. However, if i do that then she won't be liable for April rent. Should I just cut that loss and take her to court and see if the court will still have her cover it? Will the court take this attempt at blackmail into account? Can I press any criminal charges for harassment or blackmail? Please help.

    submitted by /u/lunatoons291
    [link] [comments]

    My mother was diagnoses with COVID-19 yesterday (Los Angeles). I have a job that lets me work from home, but right now she needs a lot care. If they fire me for tending to my COVID-infected mom, what recourse would I have? Am I a protected class? Would firing me be illegal currently?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:55 AM PDT

    She's in isolation, the hospital wouldn't take her, saying "30 days ago we wouldn't have let you leave the hospital with you symptoms, but we have to keep our beds available for the most severe cases". So she's home and I'm her only care. I don't know what to do about my job, if I'm fired we're both going to suffer a lot, financially in addition to the disease.

    submitted by /u/forcedguy
    [link] [comments]

    Someone stole my $2,000 mountain bike from my apartment complex bicycle storage room

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 11:44 AM PDT

    The lease states that were not allowed to store our bicycles in our apartments, so the only other option is to store it in the bicycle storage room. The room is locked and requires a key fob to get in. Every tenant has a key fob so it could have been anyone who lives here or even a worker who works here because its a new building. Someone else had their bicycle tire pump stolen the other day as well. There is a camera right outside the room that faces the area so they likely were on camera unless they covered it up. I've contacted my landlord and the apartment manager. I've also filed a police report online. I won't hear back from any of them until hopefully Monday. If i dont get it back im planning to go through my renters insurance to get compensation. From a Google search, it looked like they would cover it. Just wondering if there is anything else I should do.

    submitted by /u/Re3ck6le0ss
    [link] [comments]

    My former employer withheld the information that my drinking water was contaminated with Arsenic (carcinogen), which I think contributed to giving me a chronic illness. I have emails and tests to prove that he knew but didn't tell. (BC, Canada)

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 05:43 PM PDT

    My girlfriend and I worked on a small private island in BC. My superiors were the caretakers of the island, my girlfriend and I worked in the garden. We drunk out of the garden well every day. While working there I began to not be able to digest certain foods and was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I assumed it was onset from stress and have been trying to manage it. We lived and worked there for 6 and half months.

    I have just found out from the previous caretakers (the caretakers from the year before that were fired) that they asked for the garden well to be tested. The owner of the island got it tested, but for some reason wouldn't show the results.

    They tested it out on their own and found high levels of Arsenic, known to destroy the gut biome, causing gut disruption which often leads to liver cancer.

    These previous caretakers never mentioned this to the new caretakers, so they (the caretakers I worked with) had no idea. But the owner of the island clearly did. I can get email evidence and the test results from the previous caretakers.

    I suffer with in indigestion and diarrhea every day. Is there a case here? I want justice.

    But he is a millionaire. Would I ever be able to survive the legal battle? I have no savings.

    Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/UrinaryFact
    [link] [comments]

    Manager has been coming to work for 2 weeks with Coronavirus symptoms, doctor placed her on quarantine and she's still coming to work

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 03:21 PM PDT

    (ARIZONA) I work on the administrative side of a construction company that is still conducting business. My manager has been incredibly sick for the past 2 weeks and exhibiting a lot of coronavirus symptoms (hacking cough, fever, sour throat) yet still coming to work. She was told by a doctor on friday to quarantine herself immediately, she went home early but I believe she will be coming into work tomorrow despite doctors orders. Our jobs would be very easily transferred to a home environment, but for some reason we havent been OK'd to do so.

    I'm a single parent and survive on this one income. I cant do self isolation or work from home unless my employer OK's it. I called out last week because I had a fever, and i was reprimanded for it and told I should "tough it out", so I'm fearful if i stay home for my own safety I'll be fired for it. I'm also fearful of catching what she has and passing it along to my child.

    Is my best option to risk getting fired and file for unemployment? Can I sue the company for knowingly and forcefully putting employees at risk?

    submitted by /u/SlapstickWitch
    [link] [comments]

    Laid Off Without Pay and Employer Filed for Bankruptcy [CALIFORNIA]

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    My company laid me off and was too broke to pay me my final paycheck. Then four days later they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It has been 9 days since I was laid off.

    The facts as I understand them (please correct if needed);

    • California labor law requires they pay penalties for every day they are late, up to 30 days. (source)
    • I need to file a "Proof of Claim" with the bankruptcy court to get my money. (form)

      My questions are:

    1. How much money do I say that I am owed on the Proof of Claim? Is it the amount for my final paycheck or final paycheck + penalties?
    2. Should I file a claim with the California EDD or does the bankruptcy prevent me from doing that? There is something called an "Automatic Stay" which I don't quite understand.

    Thank you in advance for reading. Your advice will help me and the 30+ people who were laid off with me.

    submitted by /u/nickolax
    [link] [comments]

    CA - Landlord wants to show property during Stay-At-Home

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    As the title states, we are in California currently under Stay-At-Home. The rental house was sold to an investor who wants to show the property. We have been provided a 90 day to vacate.

    One dilemma is that we are unable to even view new rental properties. Those who we have contacted have told us they are not exempt from Stay-At-Home and cannot show properties to prospective new renters. The realtors had even told us to deny entrance against the lease as this should not be happening. Apparently evictions have been halted so they believe it is a safe move. I like to play everything by the books and do everything right but risking the safety of my family against the orders of the state seems to be an unnecessary risk.

    I know the landlord has the right to show the property given notice but do state laws/orders take precedence here? Can I make any legal request for the landlord to abide by state orders while the Stay-At-Home is in place?

    submitted by /u/SocalIndoors2020
    [link] [comments]

    Partner and I want to get wills to protect our children from their parents.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    My partner and I have been together for two years. We have made big plans for our future together. We are 60 days away from closing on a house together, but of course we don't know what will come of it with the pandemic. We also were going to get married later in the year (we are 40, want nothing fancy, doing it for us, not for everyone else). I have 2 almost teenage kids (full custody) from a previous marriage, she has 1 who is 7 (full custody) from her previous marriage. We have full custody of our kids because our ex-spouses are literally insane. Mine lost custody because of emotional abuse and her current husband is a sociopath. My partner's ex was physically and emotionally abusive and had drinking problems. He hasn't seen his child or spoken to my partner in years (we like it that way for the sake of both her and the child).

    With the recent pandemic, and the fact that my partner is a family medicine doctor, we want to ensure that if something happened to one or both of us, our kids would not go to their biological parents. Legally we are worried they would if something happened to us today. If something happened to her, she wants me to get full custody of her child, and if something happened to me, I'd want her to get full custody of mine. I have already made her my beneficiary of my life insurance and 401K this month. She is doing the same this week, making me her beneficiary.

    Tonight we sat down and had a long talk about all this. She got so upset and worried about the uncertainty of everything right now she actually hand wrote a document leaving her estate and child to me if something happened to her. We then made a video of her reading and signing it. I plan on doing the same this week for her. We have no idea if this would be legally binding but it helped give her peace of mind for the time being. I know we can go to a lawyer to get wills, but could we use something like LegalZoom to expedite the process? We have a plan that if she gets sick from working at her clinic, that I keep the kids at my place (we still have our own homes until we close on our new home).

    We plan on talking to lawyers of course, but what course of action should we take to protect our children and each other if something happened to one (or both) of us?

    submitted by /u/OwnPanic
    [link] [comments]

    (OH) Is This Disability Discrimination?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 06:35 AM PDT

    So I just got written up by my property manager. I had signs put up on my front door:

    "Immunocompromised person lives here, to prevent COVID-19 exposure, please leave all deliveries at the door." And "Hard-of-hearing person lives here. Please knock loudly or contact me by phone if you can. Thank you for your patience."

    My landlord removed them and wrote me up for "making unapproved alterations."

    NO WHERE in my lease does it say I can't have something outside on my front door. In fact, I had a big Halloween decoration on my door for almost two months last October/November and that was never an issue. These signs lasted three days before they were taken down and I was written up.

    As section 8 partially pays for apartment since I'm on SSI, should I contact HUD? Is this discrimination? I don't have a light-flickering doorbell yet, and I legitimately can not hear someone knocking at my door unless they knock really, really loud. And with the other sign, because I'm having to semi-quarantine myself right now, I've had to get a lot more delivered that usual. Before the sign, delivery drivers weren't paying attention to the delivery instructions and doing no-contact deliveries, which is why I put the sign up. I'm trying to save my life here; catching this virus would be lethal for me due to my disability. So again, is this discrimination? I can have a Halloween decoration up for months, but not a medically needed sign to alert people coming to my door of these things?

    I tried to contact my landlord about this, but I can't. I've been having issues for a while now with being able to contact the management office. Just last week I was locked out of my apartment building because they installed a keypad lock on the doors while I was at a doctor appointment and didn't tell me the code. I had to wait in my car for hours for a neighbor to come out because all the phone numbers I have to contact them have been disconnected, including the after-hours maintenance. The office is also never open during posted open hours. I had to ask multiple people in my building what the code was and most of them also didn't know. We were locked in the building all weekend, unable to get back in if we left, until we finally found someone in the building who knew the code. If I hadn't found out the code from a neighbor, I still would be either locked in or out of my apartment building. I haven't been able to talk to them about that whole disaster in itself, let alone the sign thing.

    I'm so frustrated about everything here and I'm not sure how to proceed.

    submitted by /u/keegdnab
    [link] [comments]

    Boosted inc customer’s boards were in service while company went under. What should the mass of us do?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 04:28 PM PDT

    So as some of you may have read or seen. Boosted inc pretty much went under after failing to land a deal.

    Now, I'd guess ~50 people (myself included) are all missing our $700+ dollar boards and parts, and have no idea what to do to get our broken boards back to get fixed elsewhere. Most of us have confirmation they received it via email and we just want our property back.

    All of the covid obviously isn't helping amongst the midst of it all but I live in flagstaff and can't go to their shop to even see it for myself. I've heard it's all locked up.

    All we heard officially from the company was they were seeking another buyer and more and more people recently have been staying the bank for closed on them. It could also be rumors because I also have heard there's less than 5 employees now. It's only irritating all of us because no one has heard from the company since the announcement.

    What would you advisors tell the remainder of us who are missing our boards ?

    submitted by /u/Djgalto
    [link] [comments]

    Montana: all employees just fired from restaurant, owner claims virus shut down business

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    First: the new owner bought the restaurant a few months ago. He's been trying to improve bottom line by ordering cheaper food, removed unlimited coffee and soft drink refills, and ordered cooks to prepare and serve smaller portion, and other things. A lot of us didn't like him.

    2 weeks ago he announced the restaurant has to close because it's "losing" business due to pandemic, even though it seemed like normal business and I haven't seen any sign of financial issues. He also mentioned that all of us (64 total employees) are no longer employed effective that day.

    Many of us thinks the owner is using pandemic as an excuse to close down and fire all of us, then when pandemic ends, he'd hire new people at lower wage to save restaurant more money in the long run.

    Do we have any legal recourse since suddenly firing 64 at once and using pandemic as excuse when restaurant weren't ordered closed 2 weeks ago seemed like a shady tactic.

    submitted by /u/Throwaway79345
    [link] [comments]

    Locks Changed on Apartment [MN]

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 03:59 PM PDT

    Apologies in advance as I am on mobile.

    I recently bought a house and moved in on March 7th. My lease however is not up until the end of April.

    I inquired about breaking my lease early but the penalty for that is the next months rent anyway so it would have been a wash. I figured I would take the hit for April and move on.

    I have slowly been moving stuff from my apartment into my house. I had everything out and cleaned the apartment on the 14th. Today, I went back to check to see if I had left anything.

    Got into the building, but when I got to my door the lock had visibly been changed (original brass lock was now silver). As expected my key did not work, and I was unable to enter my apartment.

    I have paid in full for the month of March already. I received no notification that locks would change nor did I receive a new key.

    On the 14th I did talk with the person in the office and said I would be open to discussing my lease ending early if it was beneficial for them. I did say I had moved everything out already, and I'm pretty sure I had. She said she would make a note for the building manager but I never got any follow up from them.

    I did not visit the apartment between the 14th and today, the 22nd.

    Are they allowed to do this? I feel like if I can't enter my apartment I shouldn't have to pay either, but I'm not sure if moving my belongings out means I've given up legal right to the place or something (I don't know, laws are weird).

    Thanks for the advice in advance! Location is Minnesota.

    submitted by /u/chikacherrykola
    [link] [comments]

    Ex Gf broke up with me two weeks ago, has not paid this months rent, is living with me and my parents but is not on the lease. She is now trying to evoke tennant rights or at least looking into them. This is south Florida. What should I be aware of as for her rights legally, and prepped for?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 10:29 AM PDT

    Basically she was told she needed to be out by the first of April. I stuck up and got her another month, only to find out a week later she was talking to other men. As such I said that she needs to be out by the 7th, one week longer than my parents who pay the bills and havent got rent this month were going to give. Her dad told her she should fight to stay because she has rights as a tennant. Never dealt with this before so I have no idea how true it is. Shes lived here for the past year and 4 months, but again, never signed anything or got a single thing in writing.

    submitted by /u/ShtFurBr41nS
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor cut my hedges to the stumps

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 02:12 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/iT10PT9[yard pictures](https://imgur.com/gallery/iT10PT9)

    Background info: massachusetts. We have lived here ~1 year. angry-neighbor is a landlord and doesnt live on site; many student renters in multiple units. my house, and other-side neighbor are single family homes.

    we have/had big tall hedges for privacy on both sides, on our property, and inside those a 4ft fence as the previous owner had a dog who could escape through the hedges. The back fence is taller and was financed as a joint effort by back neighbors and previous owners.

    longer-term, we planned on changing out the hedges as they are difficult to maintain, but have especially kept them tall on angry-neighbor side for privacy from the dozens of loud renters coming and going from that house, and knew the 4foot fence wouldn't be enough.

    ————-

    So, we finally have a day off (medical workers are currently pedal to the metal during the COVID crisis) and look in the yard to find the angry-neighbor has hacked down almost all the hedges on that side and piled the severed branches between our houses (along with an old couch, bookcase, broken door etc) and the fence doesnt really look stable without the hedge backer, not to mention the hedges are clearly ours as theryre mirrored on the other side of the property.

    ———

    as we are currently in a state of emergency and many city offices are closed right now, i'm not sure if i should engage with angry neighbor or wait until i can have the land surveyed and an answer as to whether hedges count under tree law, and whether my fence can be reinforced.

    ————

    BTW he is nicknamed angry neighbor for this story as the few times we have seen him doing work on his rental property, he's yelling and swearing and hollering at anyone who gets close (tennants. we have never spoken to him) I do not want to create animosity with a next-door owner, but really don't have time to fix my fence to keep my pet safe, and figure out a privacy replacement while working crazy hours.

    pictures of both sides of yard included. I don't want to get too close to take stump pictures in case he engages. the hedges look much nicer in the summer with leaves :)

    ————-

    tldr: neighbir cut my hedges and destabilized fence. are hedges covered under tree law? Is my fence his responsibility to fix now? what should i do immediately while practicing social distancing?

    submitted by /u/TwirlyGuacamole
    [link] [comments]

    I accidentally found child porn on the internet what should I do?!?! (US)

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    It's quarantine time and I have nothing to do, my parents took away my games and I was bored. So like a normal teenage boy (15) I started to go on the internet and browse for some stuff to have fun with in the night. I stumbled upon this sketchy looking site after I accidentally click on this ad and it redirected me to it. Out of curiosity, I scrolled down and found some pretty disturbing stuff. I saw pages of sexually explicit images of both boys and girls even younger than my age. There's even beastiality mixed in there. What do I do? Where do I report it? And will I be safe? (Already have my VPN turned on.) Should I give an anonymous tip to the police? If yes, How?

    Any advice will be very very appreciated.

    Thank you in advance.

    Edit: Thank you very much everybody, as I am still very stressed out after reporting the site, deleting everything and factory reseting my phone. I decided that I will get rid of the phone by drowning it and destroying it with a sledgehammer. Thank you for all the tips and advises kind strangers. Good night.

    submitted by /u/throway420691111
    [link] [comments]

    (Chicago) Real estate business with family, biggest mistake.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    I decided to post after reading a users post about her ahole husband who stopped paying the mortgage. This is about my ahole brother who stopped making mortgage paymants. We are co-borrowers on the mortgage. The deed is in my name and our moms. We entered a verbal agreement, years ago, to work together on the property but as soon as we closed he says its all his. He made it hell for me, nothing but threats, insults and accusations, so I moved out.

    Cut to now, to make sure I get nothing, he is making sure the bank forecloses on the property. He is not living in the property but has his step-family living there. I don't know if he is collecting rent or just letting them live there for free. I've been talking to lawyers and never get a call back because I have no money. I wanted to sue my brother directly but with out anything on paper, lawyers tell me there is nothing I can do. Ideally, I'd evict his folks, maintain the mortgage payments, refinance it, absorb some damage but I'm not able to afford that. Not been able to find a job recently. My brother knows this which is why he is doing this now. If there was a chance I could keep the property he wouldn't have tried this.

    The foreclosure process has begun, credit damaged, we are now co-defendants in a law suit from the bank and I'm out a house. I have a foreclosure attorney for my Mom and I so I know there will either be a surplus or more likely a deficit of funds that we'll be on the hook for. Not sure and nervous as to how the court will handle this. What can I do to prepare?

    How do I go about holding him legally responsible for the loss and get compensation? I'm sure I'll be able to get a job soon and afford a lawyer but what kind of attorney can help me? How do I get them to cell me back? How long do I have? Am I really just SOL?

    submitted by /u/Seeking14
    [link] [comments]

    Lease ends during quarantine

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 04:55 PM PDT

    We live in Bucks County, PA.

    The landlords wanted to sell the house come April 1. Our lease ends 3/31. Back when the world was not in chaos, three weeks ago, we declined the month to month option on our lease as to not be subject to open houses, showings and keeping it in show condition.

    Fast forward to now when we are quarantined and about to have a shelter in place order statewide and our landlords are "confused" why we are asking to renig our prior month to month decision. They responded: we signed a contract to list the house on april 1st. your lease is up, we expect you to be out and the house to be empty come 3/31.

    We have a baby. No where to go. No income at the moment and no savings. We were supposed to go house hunting the week all of the quarantines started, but my husband had jobs postpone due to the virus that we were depending on for first/last/security. Not to mention, right now, people aren't really excited about showing their houses to strangers.

    We know there is a moratorium on evictions until at least April 14th, but I am living in fear that the landlords will just show up on the 1st and let themselves in because we couldnt come to an amicable agreement. Or the realtor will show up to do the same.

    The stress is unreal already, and now with not having the stability of a home to shelter in place, it's overwhelming.

    The only legal advice I have received from legal aid is that we do not have to vacate because they can't file for eviction at this time.

    That doesn't protect us from them letting themselves in. I don't want to have to stand guard until this is over, and I consider anyone attempting to come on our property as a threat right now.

    We have been in self-quarantine for 13 days no contact with anyone.

    Anybody have any advice? Can we change the locks temporarily so they cant get in? We have an extra front door lock from my grandfathers house we could use. I know it violates the lease but I'm actually scared.

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/weareups
    [link] [comments]

    I am being denied access to my earthquake preparedness business' storage units with medical-grade PPE (hazmat suits, goggles, gloves, etc.) [California]

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 01:02 AM PDT

    I've been working on starting an earthquake preparedness company for the past half year or so, and as a result have cases of hazmat coveralls (blood & viral resistant), goggles (some non-vented), and packaged pairs of gloves, etc in storage. I was in the process of evaluating gear to see what I what brands I wanted to sell, and then COVID started.

    Unfortunately, the storage company I've been using decided to bar access as of Thursday night -- with no warning given to any tenants, not even a call or email! During the weeks prior, they gave me multiple assurances over the phone & in person that they would make arrangements for possible gov-mandated changes/restrictions. On Thursday at 6:45pm (after the govenor's announcement) they told me that they would give 24 hours notice to allow people to get their business supplies out, at the very least.

    But then when I showed up to get my stuff Friday morning, there was a sign on the door saying "Closed due to Governor's Coronavirus Order". Now, the corporate office is saying their lawyers told them not to let anyone in. (Meanwhile, the other storage facilities in the area are classifying themselves as "essential businesses" and staying open.)

    Thankfully, out of an abundance of caution, I took some stuff out before then, but I live in a studio apartment, so I could only fit so much.

    For the past few weeks I've been packing up PPE "care packages" and mailing donations of these supplies to various health care workers (including ICU hcws & infectious disease docs), CERT members, and other high risk people, and I would like to continue to do so. Having this stuff sit, inaccessible, for months while people die from lack of protective gear would be both maddening and tragic.

    What kind of lawyer might deal with this type of situation? My ideal resolution would to get access for one day so I could move all my stuff out and end my leases there. That way on top of donating much of my product, I don't also go bankrupt from continuing to pay rent for months for units I can't even access. I can move to a unit at one of the other storage companies blocks away which are staying open. (I need somewhere to divide up and package this stuff for sending out.)

    Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

    ---------

    Also, The 3 reasons why I think the storage company's refusal of tenant access might perhaps not be in keeping with the CA governor's order (which what they used to justify not giving access on Friday):

    1. The company's main headquarters clearly decidedly they were an "essential business", as they stayed open on Friday, despite denying access at the various storage facilities.
    2. The website listing the 16 Sectors of Critical Infrastructure (linked to in the official order) clearly lists "self-storage" under Commercial Facilities Sector
    3. The gov page on "Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce" lists these jobs as allowed:
    • "Security staff to maintain building access control and physical security measures"
    • "Workers to ensure continuity of building functions"
    • "Manufacturers, technicians, logistics and warehouse operators, and distributors of medical equipment, personal protective equipment (PPE), medical gases, pharmaceuticals, blood and blood products, vaccines, testing materials, laboratory supplies, cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting or sterilization supplies, and tissue and paper towel products"

    A property manager lives on site at the facility.

    submitted by /u/make_make_make
    [link] [comments]

    Job Offer Rescinded

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    Hello Everyone,

    I was recently contacted by whom was going to be my new employer and advised that they were rescinding the employment offer that they made to me due to the coronavirus situation, they claimed that they put on a hiring freeze and will not hire at all until everything goes back to normal.

    I had already put my two week notice to my current employer about 8 days ago so basically only had one more week to go before joining the new employer. I would like to know if this is legal? Since I was technically almost finished with my onboarding with the new employer and now they take the offer back.

    What can I do if my current employer does not want to keep me? Can I sue the company that took the offer back? What are my options here?

    By the way I am in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

    Thank you for your help!

    submitted by /u/Aristidesbaez
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding copyright law for textbooks as a teacher.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    I apologize if this doesn't belong here, but I feel like my question fits under a request for you all "to explain simple concepts about the law," as in the sub's description.

    It's my first year being a calculus professor in Indiana. I don't have much freedom in how I conduct the course because I teach two sections out of fourteen. There is no required textbook for the class, and I do not have the authority to require them to buy a textbook. I can suggest they rent or purchase a textbook, but realistically none of them will do this.

    My students are asking me to give them many extra problems beyond what is provided to them through their online readings, videos, and assigned homework. I personally own a copy of a calculus textbook (which is certainly not in the public domain), and I want to have a better understanding of if I would be violating copyright law if I used the book to give them extra problems. If it makes any difference, I also have a copy of a different textbook that I rented from the school's library. Would it be illegal to, for either of these books:

    1. Photocopy a page of homework problems in the book and the answers to them and distribute it to students for purely educational purposes?
    2. Reword some homework problems from this book and modify them slightly, then distribute those problems and answers to the students?
    3. Pick one interesting problem from this book, then explain the problem and solution in class?

    If it matters, this would not be a required component of the course, merely a way for the students to get extra practice.

    While I would imagine such a photocopy may be illegal, I can't imagine one can copyright a math problem used for a homework exercise, especially in an area such as calculus which is essentially fundamental high school or college level math, and I'm curious to what extent I can use materials others have written if I purchased their work. It feels like a waste of my time to write 10-20 original problems per lesson when many others have already done this, but obviously me distributing their work without the students purchasing them would cut into how they can profit off of their work.

    submitted by /u/VJ439
    [link] [comments]

    Husband racked up bills to prevent alimony what can I do?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 08:52 PM PDT

    My husband and I are going through a divorce. We were married 4 years and I contributed financially the entire time. We were preparing for the summer for me not to have income (specific reasons) but it would be very temporary. He asked for a divorce that month, asked me to leave the apartment and I ended up stuck in that financial situation.

    Because of this and our differences in income (I'm making nothing and he makes about 6 figures) I asked for alimony. His normal pay is about 3500 a month but he has as much OT as he wants, including mandatory OT, leaving him making almost 7000 per month. This is all information from the divorce packet he submitted.

    Because of COVID-19, the hearing for support got pushed back as well as the actual divorce hearing. That gave him a lot of time.

    The apartment we were sharing was 1200 a month. Now the lease is up and he got a much pricier apartment. He also has been spending frivolously and buying things that he needs to make payments on, making a brand new income and expense declaration to bring to court. So now he's added a bunch of expenses he didnt have and claiming he can't pay alimony.

    What can I do here? This can't be allowed right? California

    submitted by /u/itsahmethethrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Extended warranty company sent me a letter saying “they can no longer adhere to the contract at the stated price”. Is that legal?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 01:07 PM PDT

    I got a letter from my extended warranty company for my car that says they can no longer follow the contract at the stated price, and prices will rise $150-$500 a year. I just bought this warranty in November 2019, and it's a 20-year extended warranty.

    I'm going to call tomorrow, but I want to be sure in what I say to them. I thought if there's a contract, you have to follow it to the end? I may have the contract itself somewhere, but I've since moved and would have to do some digging. But (as someone with no knowledge of contracts/anything legal) in general, are they allowed to just say they can't honor my contract I just signed 4 months ago at the price I signed at?

    Edit: I bought the warranty in MD, I'm now in NC. I'm not sure if that changes anything.

    submitted by /u/narwhalmeg
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment