• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 21, 2020

    Legal Advice - [TORONTO] New landlord told me i have until March 1st, to move out of my apartment. I have 6 months left on my lease, he told me that didn't matter as he needs to renovate the unit. March 1st contractors will remove everything in the unit.

    Legal Advice - [TORONTO] New landlord told me i have until March 1st, to move out of my apartment. I have 6 months left on my lease, he told me that didn't matter as he needs to renovate the unit. March 1st contractors will remove everything in the unit.


    [TORONTO] New landlord told me i have until March 1st, to move out of my apartment. I have 6 months left on my lease, he told me that didn't matter as he needs to renovate the unit. March 1st contractors will remove everything in the unit.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    Sorry I meant April not March

    The above. Someone else bought our building in January, and they have been gutting units non stop. Frankly me and my family only realized how shitty this building was after we moved in (a lot of cockroaches, and no attempts to solve the problem).

    I told him we could be out by June, and he told us that on April 1st, anything in my unit will be removed, my family will be removed. My car will be towed if it is still here after midnight on April 1st.

    I am 100% sure what he is doing is fucking illegal, however the landlord tenant bureau seems to be shutdown to the coronavirus.

    Can someone tell me if push comes to shove on April 1st, will the police side with me? or should i start preparing alternative arrangements?

    submitted by /u/Help1329921
    [link] [comments]

    (Alaska) My parents, who were a couple years from retiring, lost $120,000 of there retirement fund after there brokers' assistant made several errors in transfer stocks from TRowe to Edward Jones and move from stocks to bonds and delayed the move from January 18 to March 19.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:54 PM PDT

    My mom and step dad, who have been working so hard to retire with enough money to pay for my dads medical costs(hes on his way to a wheelchair with severe arthritis), asked there broker(edward jones) to accept a transfer of stocks from T Rowe and then switch the stocks into bonds. This request was made on January 18ish.

    The request came right as there broker was leaving the country for vacation. So the task was passed to his assistant. His assistant sends my parents the wrong form to fill out. they filled it out and sent it back. The assistant sent the form forward to be processed. The form was sent back and the assistant was told that she sent the wrong form and told her which for to send. The assistant sent the correct form back to my parents. My parents signed and returned it. The assistant forwards the request to be executed. The request din't go through until the 19th of March (two days ago) incurring a huge loss that could have been avoided if it was executed even a week earlier. My parents had sent the correct form properly filled out at least before March 2nd. but the transfer wasn't made for at least two weeks.

    I asked my mom to nail down some specific dates in case it helps you guys. Let me know if that would be helpful.

    In short, a few mistakes lengthened delayed this transaction for 3 months and my parents cant retire for 5 or so years because of it. Edward jones says the hangup was TRowe not being clear about which form to file, but my mom says there were weeks where the ball was dropped on the edward jones end and my mom was constantly asking where they were in the process(suspecting that there was no urgency to complete the transaction and save the client money).

    My question is, can they sue for negligence or something? also, who would the blame fall on? Any advice?

    I love this subreddit and thank everyone who helps keep people informed.

    Thank you for your time.

    Let me know if you have any question.

    submitted by /u/BAMFoftheNorth
    [link] [comments]

    (OK) An underaged girl from a dating app wrecked her parent's car trying to see me, or I'm being scammed.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    I have a profile on Hinge and matched with a girl on it who lied about her age. Her profile said 19, she turned out to be 17. We'd been talking for a few days and finally talked about meeting up for a hookup around midnight. We exchange a couple of nude pics, I asked if she had a way over, she said she does and that she'd be over in an hour. I send my address and apartment gate code but she never showed up and I took it as a flake.

    This morning I get a text from a different number claiming to be her father, saying that she's actually underage and tried to take her mom's car then wrecked it last night. This number has told me that I'll either have to pay them $1800 or they'll press charges. They won't call me, or offer up any further information other than pressuring me to cashapp them $1800. I told them that I don't have that much money and they want to "set a date" to get payments from me.

    The girl's Hinge profile is gone, and the number is blaming me for the whole incident saying I "persuaded" her to come over. Multiple details in the texts that he sent me doesn't add up, such as giving me two different ages for his daughter. While she's above the legal age of consent, I'm mostly worried about the fact that we exchanged pics, which I've deleted.

    submitted by /u/ElLetdown
    [link] [comments]

    Lost my restaurant job from corona, unemployment claim denied

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    So my restaurant job is shut down like everyone else's, and we're all laid off. I applied for unemployment right away, and got a letter in the mail saying my claim was denied because I didn't make $2600 in 2020. I think, that can't be right, I work at a really upscale place in Westchester, NY and I definitely made more than that in the last 3 months. All of our tips, including those we received in cash, are included in our weekly paychecks. I worked on average four nights a week, but since winter is our slow season (and we were even slower because of the virus) managers made lots of staff cuts (for instance, 6 servers are on the schedule, but three are contacted and told not to come to work that night).

    I look at my last paystub, and realize they're only counting my hourly wages, not the tips that make up the majority of my income. The hourly tipped wage in my area of NY is 8.65. Is this really happening?

    I'm going to submit a request for reconsideration, tomorrow and I've included my most recent paystub (which has all of my earnings there from this year to date), as well as printed correspondence with managers where I was asked not to come in (slow nights because of corona). Do you think this will work?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/kelly61090
    [link] [comments]

    (NYC) Work threatening to not rehire if we get laid off and file for unemployment.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 07:56 PM PDT

    My apologies for the bad formatting, I never really make textposts.

    I work at a cafe in NYC that's a part of a small local chain (~20 total locations in NYC/NYS) We are currently still open because we can serve take-out and do deliveries under the current lockdown rules.

    A few days ago, a higher up had told my manager that if the laws change and we do have to close, we will all be laid off and rehired once we are allowed to reopen. But, he had also told him that if we file for unemployment during that time that we will not be eligible for re-hire.

    In case this does happen, is there no laws or anything to protect us? Because if this happens we will no longer be employees anyways, so it seems like a sort of loophole to not have to pay us at all.

    submitted by /u/ChocolateAnts
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend’s employer hinted at firing and evicting her if we don’t buy his overpriced house

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    I'm not new to reddit but this is my first post. I'm in a very bad situation....

    In short, we built a house through my girlfriend's employer. The house was 6 months late to get finished and our lease was up so they said we could move in before the final price was set. They wouldn't accept any kind of payment or contract to be set. We got the final price a few weeks ago and it went from the original price , $165,000,to over $240,000. Last night I agreed on his price but only dependent upon appraisal and he wouldn't sign. Said we have to agree to his terms or he's evicting us and can't promise my girlfriend will have a job after this upcoming Monday. I should also mention we have an 8 year old boy.

    Back in December of 2018, I decided to get approved for a house loan. My price range was around $150,000. My girlfriend's work decided around that time that they wanted to "give back to the community" and build prefab houses for "next to nothing" for young couples in the community. We have a quote for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath with garage and lot for $150,000 which is what we picked out.

    We did make some changes to the house such as adding another stall to the garage (was told this would be about $6000) and added another foot to the height of the basement (was quoted another $5000). Here is when I asked if they wanted money down for the first time and they denied it, said to just wait till the end.

    We had a meeting after that and he said the house was actually going to run about $185,000. I understand that building new homes almost always go over quote but thought this was still a good price. Building started in July of 2019 which was also the original due date. Since the basement and garage wasn't finished I asked if I could start on finishing it after the house was set and they said that was fine. I ended up studding up, insulating,and drywalling the basement and insulating and electrical in the garage over the next several months.

    We are now into December and the house still isn't done. This is the last month on our lease and our landlord has someone else needing to moving in. We talked to my girlfriend's boss and they said we could move in so we didn't have to sign a lease with someone else. This was my 2nd attempt at putting money down and 1st attempt to do earnest money each month until the final costs came in. Both were denied and we were told to hold tight.

    Here's where it gets shitty

    I was told that the final costs had come in and he wanted a meeting to discuss. That's when he said it was over $240,000! My bank that I've had for most of my adult life said they wouldn't do the loan anymore because it went from $150,000 to $185,000 to $240,000 and since it interfered with some thing about him being her boss and selling the house. I met with him again and wanted an explanation of the costs, which he did, but it was way more than he quoted us. Nothing was signed or agreed upon. This was my 2nd attempt at offering earnest money until this was figured out and was told to hang onto it. I decided to go through a different bank and was approved for $250,000 without them knowing the situation. Due to the low interest rates and corona Virus they said they couldn't do an appraisal until the end of April.

    Yesterday he showed up at the house with a pen and paper and wanted us to agree on a price. After some discussion I agreed to his price but didn't want to sign anything because his purchase agreement didn't state anything about contingent apron approval. He said I had to sign it without the contingent on approval or he was evicting us. He also then said if we walked away from this that he couldn't promise my girlfriend a job anymore. I again said I wasn't going to sign and wanted to talk to the bank this Monday to discuss my options and he said that was ok.

    I love the house but I don't think it will appraise at the cost. Say it appraised at $200,000, I don't have an extra $45,000 on top of our down payment to throw at it. If it appraises over $240,000 I could make it work but we wouldn't have extra money for a while and I would have to sell my truck. On top of the stress of this they have been harassing her at work and we actually have a lawyer for that.

    If we decided to walk away from this, would he be able to evict us right away or would we have say 30 days to leave? Are there any laws about raising the price that much without communicating with us? The only quotes we have in writing is the very original $150,000 and final $240,000 price. I knew this was one of those too good to be true situations but trusted him anyways. I just want to make sure my family is safe and has a roof over their head during this Corona crap.

    submitted by /u/istop4lizards
    [link] [comments]

    (Colorado) ex-Wife got blackout drunk with my children present

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 10:04 PM PDT

    I'm going to try to make this short. At 5:30 PM I dropped my daughters off with their mother for her scheduled time (Saturday->Tuesday). She got a hotel room for the night near where I live (apparently someone died of COVID-19 in her apartment complex so she wigged out and didn't want to stay there) and planned to spend a few nights there with our daughters.

    At approximately 9:00 PM I get a call from one of the hotel staff telling me that the cops had been called and that she appeared to be so drunk that she couldn't get up and was incoherent (this is from my perspective, I'll include the fuller story below). I got there as the cops were showing up and they eventually asked me to go up to the room to get my daughters and I took them home after waiting around for a bit to be excused by the officers.

    The fuller story, and I'm piecing this together from my two daughters (7 & 4) and the hotel staff, is that they ordered a pizza and when it was delivered, she was so incoherent that the delivery driver actually called the cops because she was worried about her welfare. In the meantime, my oldest daughter became so scared that she left the hotel room and started running up and down the halls until she finally found a staff member to help her (thank God I drilled my phone number into her). After police and fire show up, she refused all medical treatment and they left (they told me she didn't meet the bar for them to take her without consent).

    What are my legal options here, especially in the short term? If she demands the girls back tomorrow morning, do I have to give them up? I'm legitimately scared of what might happen in the next several days. Over the long term, I can apply for a restriction to her parenting time and I plan on doing that ASAP although with this COVID-19 thing going on I don't know what the courts look like right now.

    ** I should note that she never had a drinking problem when we were together (split February 2019), but she apparently enrolled in AA about a month ago due to alcohol abuse.

    Thank you so much for your advice.

    submitted by /u/hammonjj
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors keep hopping our fence and causing other issues

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    I am a graduate student and currently rent a house with two other students also in graduate programs. Since I have lived here, we have had issues with teens that live in the house behind us. The boys constantly hop either our fence or the fence of the house to the right of us to meet with friends on our street. In the past I have yelled at them to stop when catching them in the act and the owners of the house to our right have spoken to the owners of the house the boys live in but nothing has changed. If the boys were only hopping our fence I would honestly just ignore them but we are having other issues with them.

    The first issue we started having with them other than just hopping the fence was trash being throw/left in our yards. One of my roommates has dogs we let out into the fenced yard a few times a day. On multiple occasions we have had to chance down the dogs because they are trying to eat trash we couldn't see when we let them out. We have seen our other neighbors also have this issue with their dog.

    The second problem we are having is them leaving the gate to our yard open. The door to our gate is located in a place that we cannot see well unless we walk a few feet into the yard from the backdoor. Since we have dogs, we always keep this gate closed because we are worried that they will get loose and run onto the fairly busy street in front of our house.

    A last and biggest issue we have had are holes in our siding. One day after classes I came home to find a baseball in our yard and multiple, large holes in our siding. It was obvious that the someone had been throwing the ball at our house while we were gone. I took pictures of the damage but, while we know it was them, we have not proof they actually did it.

    After finding the holes in the siding, our landlords had cameras installed. Since installing them, the boys noticed and started hopping less frequently but still do. Also the sensors on the cameras are not strong enough to pick up on when they throw trash in the yard so that is still an issue. I don't want to sound like a stereotypical "get off my yard" kind of person but what they are doing can potentially hurt the dogs and it a nuisance to deal with. Is there anything more we can do legally to get them to stop trespassing?

    Edit: I live in Ohio

    submitted by /u/No-pharaoh
    [link] [comments]

    My daughter’s daycare is charging me solely because I am an “essential worker.”

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 10:59 AM PDT

    Background: I live in Illinois, where a shelter in place order goes into effect this afternoon. I am a healthcare worker (physical therapist assistant). My 3 year-old daughter goes to a large Lutheran church sponsored daycare.

    I received a phone call from our daycare secretary this morning to notify me that the daycare is staying open for the care of the children of "essential workers." These workers are in accordance to our governor's speech yesterday. The secretary asked me if I plan to send my daughter next week. I told her no, as I erred on the side of caution & didn't send her last week & will continue to err on the side of caution until all of this is over.

    I knew I would be charged for daycare last week due to them being open & it being my decision not to send her. I asked her if we'd be charged for this coming week since we are under a shelter in place order & I didn't feel safe sending my child to daycare. She said yes, I would be charged since I have been deemed an essential worker being in healthcare.

    What can I do in this situation? I feel that I am being punished for obeying the governors order to shelter in place and not send my child to daycare. Other parents who aren't deemed essential are not being charged during this time. It's a small town, so everyone knows everyone & what they do for a living. It just feels like my job is being used against me when I'm doing my best to keep my child safe.

    submitted by /u/curlywatson
    [link] [comments]

    posting photos of trespassers on-site and online... legal?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 06:00 PM PDT

    i have an extensive collection of no trespassing signs 360º around my property and have recently purchased and installed a number of day&night game cameras around because it is obvious that there have been people on my property for some time. my original intent was to take the images straight to the police, but i have had the idea to post them on a board, (also on my property) along with an instagram address where i will also post them in an attempt to first show a warning and indicate my seriousness and dedication to this issue before i go to the police about this... my question is...is this legal? one would have to be presently trespassing themselves to even see the photos posted on the board, or get the instagram address where they would be hosted online. im in VA btw. thanks for your input!

    submitted by /u/seeay
    [link] [comments]

    NC. Is my swing set and tree swing considered an attractive nuisance?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 07:57 AM PDT

    We recently purchased a house on a 1.5 acre property. It came with one of those swing sets that has a slide and a rock climbing wall, but it's about 10 years old and looks it. Next to the swing set is one of those round netted swings, suspended from a tree. Near that is a big hammock between a couple other trees.

    We don't have kids. We have NO need for these items. Our neighbors do have kids, and the kids are always playing on all three of them. The other day, I heard screaming, and I ran outside, only to see the neighbor kid running back to his house holding his arm.

    Next thing I know, I get a knock on my door by the mother. She wanted to warn me that one of the rock wall knob things is loose. I told her I would appreciate it if her kids didn't play on the equipment. Her response was that it was all there before we bought the house, her kids have always played on it, and the last neighbors didn't care. Then she told me that I'm "lucky" she doesn't sue me for the condition of the rock wall. She said she will have to talk to her husband because they might need to look into that "option."

    Would immediately getting rid of the equipment or putting up a $3,000 fence around that area be admitting liability? If so, what should I do?

    submitted by /u/obscurityknocks
    [link] [comments]

    Step-childs father took my step-child to the emergency room, I get stuck with the bill?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    In January of last year someone took my step-child to the emergency room. It was out of network and my insurance denied the bill for around $2,000. I never received a paper bill and only found out after going through my medical claim records.

    When I asked the father about this he became hostile, and denied that they ever took the child to the emergency room. Then stated that since my wife and I have full custody we would be paying the bill.

    I have to wait until Monday when the hospitals records department open back up to find out more information about what the services were for, but in the meantime I am wondering how to go about this. Are we stuck with this bill or is it something we would have to go to court for?

    INFO The step-child is under my insurance plan that I get from work. I am unaware if the step-child was also covered under the fathers insurance at the time or not. (If he even had insurance at all.) My medical records show an emergency room visit on January 1st, and a Pharmacy prescription for Amoxicillin the very next day.

    submitted by /u/supergamerz
    [link] [comments]

    [Maryland] University apartment complex kicking out all tenants with 2 week notice because of COVID 19

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 10:41 PM PDT

    I'm living in an apartment at my university that is, to the best of my understanding, a public-private partnership between the school and a management company. I did sign a lease to live here and recently resigned which gave me the right to live there all summer and next year.

    They sent out on Friday an email to all residents (over 1000 people between the two appt complexes that this conpany owns) saying that everyone has to move out within 2 weeks and that they will not charge us the remaining rent. This has to do with the school going online for the rest of the semester and all of the dorms closing down at this university because of COVID 19.

    This seems to me to be super illegal since I signed a lease and have not done anything wrong. I still feel that I'm entitled to live there and I want to live there for the remainder of my lease.

    They said in the email that they will make exceptions for international students and students with extreme hardships but that they would consolidate them into one building. They also mention that this is all in the name of social distancing.

    I checked my lease and it says: "Should the Landlord at any time during the Lease Term deem it necessary or advisable, in its sole discretion, Landlord shall have the right to move Tenant to similar accommodations within South Campus"

    Is there a way I can fight being forced out of my apartment like this? It's a pretty standard lease and nowhere did I see that the landlord has the right to do this. It actually says they have to provide 30 days notice before terminating the lease do to failure to pay or rule breaking. Furthermore, I really dont want to have to move all my stuff to a different apartment building. Is there a way I could fight being moved out of my current room? Being consolidated into one unit only makes us socially closer, not socially distant.

    TL:DR: University apartment complex is forcing all students to move out. I signed a lease at this apartment. They are allowing students under severe hardships to stay but will consolidate them into one building. Is there any way I can fight this and stay in my room and not have to move?

    EDIT: Here is the text of the email that was sent:

    March 20, 2020

    Dear South Campus Commons and Courtyards at UMD Residents,

    With the University System of Maryland's and the University's decision to move to online education for the remainder of the semester and Dr. Loh's notice that residence halls will officially close on April 5th, we are writing to notify you that our on-campus housing at South Campus Commons and Courtyards will close on Sunday, April 5, 2020.

    In response to the COVID-19 pandemic public health crisis and aligned with the University System's decision and the University's responsive actions, all students will be required to move out of South Campus Commons and The Courtyards to complete their studies at home or to an alternate non-campus housing arrangement.

    You will be able to begin moving out beginning March 23-April 5. You will be required to schedule a move-out date and time by starrez.umd.edu and select Commons / Courtyards Move out.

    Move Out Process

    The South Campus Commons and Courtyards and University's staff are committed to helping you with the move-out process in a safe and healthy way. We ask that you follow the steps below:

    Per CDC guidelines and for your safety and well-being, you must schedule a specific move-out date and time. This will limit the number of people on campus and at the buildings at any one time while allowing you to collect your belongings. You must adhere to your chosen schedule and limit the number of people you bring with you in order to best protect yourself and your fellow Terps.

    We ask that your move out be completed within the window of your scheduled move-out time in order to accommodate your fellow Terps who also need to move out and, again, to limit the number of people on campus and at the buildings at one time so we can continue to observe important social distancing practices.

    Instructions regarding the process for checking out and returning keys will come in a separate email shortly.

    Installment Payments

    Students who move out and return their keys will not be billed for the months of April, May, June, and July, with the exception of students who are approved for temporary, emergency housing.

    Temporary, Emergency Housing

    International students who aren't able to travel home and students who face extreme hardship and are unable to return to your permanent address immediately or by April 5, may petition to be moved to an emergency, temporary space for the remainder of the Spring semester.

    Our ability to approve requests to live in emergency housing will be extremely limited and will be considered on a case by case basis for international students who cannot get home and who have no local place to stay, students who have no home or are in foster care, or students who have other extreme hardships. If you meet one of the extreme hardship criteria above, please submit your petition using one of the links below no later than March 27.

    The Courtyards at UMD Residents

    https://go.umd.edu/ctyTemp

    While South Campus Commons and The Courtyards will ensure that we have sufficient rooms available for students who truly have no alternatives, we will consolidate emergency housing into one building at each property to support the safety and well-being of students residing in emergency housing. Please note, none of us can predict how long the present situation may last and if you remain in the emergency housing provided, you might be here for some time with very limited services.

    Students who are approved for emergency, temporary accommodations will:

    Be expected to abide by all terms and conditions in the resident handbook, rules and regulations, and the UM Code of Student Conduct. Not be permitted to have guests visit their apartment and/or the building during this period.

    Thank you,

    South Campus Commons & The Courtyards at UMD

    submitted by /u/LHospitals
    [link] [comments]

    Shelter in Place order for Illinois.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 09:51 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, my wife and I live in Chicago, IL. Governer Pritzker issued a shelter in place order for the state of Illinois and Mayor Lightfoot said the order would be enforced by the police. I work part-time in grocery while in school and was issued "travel papers" because I am considered essential. However, my wife works in Park Ridge for a small privately owned credentialing business. This business is telling her she must show up for work on Monday, but have not deemed her essential, issued any "travel papers" and threatened her position in the company by email. I have searched the internet but I cannot find any resources about the legal ramifications against businesses, only against individuals. She wants to obey the order but her work does not see it as a valid order. Is there any way to report this business or find out if they are allowed to operate during a shelter in place? If she does get in trouble going to work what are the legal ramifications? Would we have any recourse?

    submitted by /u/moon_spells_dumbass
    [link] [comments]

    My employer is asking me to resign because of the corona virus. They're not closing, but asking half the employees to resign or else they will just fire us. Is that legal? Located in Nebraska.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 12:26 PM PDT

    Landlord is selling the house I rent a room in. He had no precautions about corvid-19 and says he's not responsible for any stolen items.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    I live in MD. My landlord gave his tenant who rent rooms in his house a notice that he plans know selling it. During these times I'm worried about realtors walking groups of people through the house. When I asked him about any precautions about corvid-19 he said people will be wearing booties around the house to protect the floors. That being said I don't want potentially asymptomatic corona virus carriers to be in my room.

    In a notice he gave he mentioned that the tours can be done Monday through Saturday 8am till 5PM. Exactly when I'm working so I can't make sure my valuables are safe. There's no mention of a 24 he notice before tours.

    He also mentioned in the notice how he is not responsible for theft of items. Which I understand for small valuables like watches and jewelry it's reasonable to lock those items up and hide them. But I'm worried about my consoles, laptop, and electronics.

    Given the pandemic, can I provide an alternative to a tour of my room to avoid getting sick? Do I have any course of actions if my property is stolen during a tour by a realtor?

    Who can I talk to about this?

    Side note I do plan on moving to my home state in a couple months. I don't need a long term solution. I just want to make sure we're safe.

    submitted by /u/nxluda
    [link] [comments]

    A boy who raped me is stalking me what can I do?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    He's always looking on my social media accounts and within seconds when I put something on there he has already seen it l, and it doesn't work blocking him he always finds different ways. Also he used to call me regularly but than I changed my number so he can't reached my phone number now. I work at grocery store and it's like he knows when I'm working because he's always there when I am working. He knows where I live and I'm so scared that one day he'll be waiting outside my house and who knows what he could do.

    It's driving me crazy, anxious and depressed, I can't go outside my house alone because I'm so scared that he's going to show up and do something. I'm even scared going to work because I can't stop thinking "what if he shows up at my work?" I'm scared what can I do to make this stop!

    (I live in Iceland if that matters)

    submitted by /u/ebba-20
    [link] [comments]

    Lawyer has abandoned our case

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    Kentucky - We have been involved in a Will Contest for 15 months now. Back in September of 2019, our attorney, who we hired on a contingency basis, starting talking to us about another firm he was showing our case to "for advice". We knew that because he had already shown that he was too busy with other cases, evidenced by blatant neglect, he was gearing up to hand our case off to someone else.

    Over the next 3 months, as he had over the past year, he showed up to court unprepared, ignored our phonecalls/questions concerning our case, cancelled appointments, and filed subpoenas and motions with the wrong court/judges. Anytime we did manage to talk to him he kept saying we needed to meet with an attorney from this firm to talk about our case.

    Fast forward to the end of January. We scheduled a meeting with our attorney to find out what progress had been made with the Discovery which was due on March 07, 2020. Unbeknownst to us, he had arranged for an attorney from the other firm to whom he had shown our case to also be there.

    We sat and listened to this other attorney talk about how great our case was, how much injustice had been done to us, and how, if we agreed to pay their contingency fee, they would get things rolling much faster than our present attorney, who finally admitted he didn't have the time or expertise to give our case what it deserved. This other attorney then mentioned someone in the firm who had great expertise with Will Contests but before she would take the case, we would have to agree to paying her one third of what she recovered for us.

    Really there was no decision for us to make. It was either go with this new attorney or receive nothing. We immediately informed (that day) our present attorney that yes, we will continue on and agreed to pay the fee. Nothing was signed at this point.

    After weeks of hearing nothing, we finally reached out to the attorney we had met with and he said that the person he had spoken of with all the expertise in this area of law still had not decided that she would take the case, and that her and her husband were on vacation through the end of February. He then said if she didn't take the case, he would put it in the hands of someone who would.

    Two weeks later, we FINALLY were able to meet with this woman and her husband. They said we had a legitimate claim and that they would get back with us the next day. One week later, the attorney we met with in January who sold us on this whole thing called and said that although we had a great case and they were impressed with us (in regards to how we would conduct ourselves before a jury), they were not going to take the case. He then gave us the name of two attorneys in town who WE could contact, urging us to move quickly during this time that the courts have all but been shut down.

    We don't know what our recourse is. I asked this attorney who I talked to about the fact that our present attorney who we hired in 2018 was legally still our attorney. He said very quickly, "well, he can withdraw at any time."

    We are fed up with empty promises and sales pitches from these people. They want a 100% guarantee that this case is a win, and really don't care about justice being done.

    Any advice? After all the ups and downs we have been through over the past 15 months, we just can't believe it has come to this.

    submitted by /u/Caohmin72
    [link] [comments]

    Threatened with Eviction on Monday.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 10:15 PM PDT

    Hi all. I have an urgent situation that I need advice on asap because with the state of the country as it is now, I am not sure what, if any options I have and trying to find any legal counsel to answer my concerns has been a complete failure. This is somewhat of a long post, so please bear with me and let me know if you have any additional questions.

    I currently live at (Budget Suites) and have been a resident here at this location for almost 4 months (I was at a different location for 5 years and it was amazing, stupidly I moved to be closer to a new job, but due to the unfortunate events that are unfolding with the Coronavirus, I am still waiting for my unemployment to be approved, while continuing to look for full time work, but it's become near impossible with the social distancing and numerous closures. All of this has put me in the unfortunate position of not being able to afford my weekly rent payment that came due today (March 21st). Once my case has been reviewed and approved, I will receive my funds on Friday the 26th which will allow me to pay for this week's rent, late fees and next week's as well.

    Now, two or three days ago, the Texas Supreme Court and the city of Dallas both issued mandates halting all evictions for a minimum of 30 days and have closed the courthouses and court proceedings and stated that all evictions shall seize. I explained all of this situation, in detail, to the property manager, who came with a copy of my key to try and enter my apartment (this is at 4pm, when rent isn't considered past due until after 10pm) and offered him a date that I can resolve the rent and could provide documentation of all of this, to make sure there are no issues with me staying in my home, due to the unforseen circumstances.

    Without any acknowledgement for my health, or situation, he then proceeds to, "tell me what our policy is here". They don't offer payment plans or assistance, and they don't accept partial payments and if I can't pay in full today, tomorrow starts the daily accruing $30 per day, late fee and then first thing on Monday morning (March 23rd), they will be going online, as is their routine, every week and they will be filing for all of the unpaid units to be evicted. He also said that once they start the eviction process on Monday, that there is no going back, my rent won't be accepted and I will automatically have an eviction on my credit and rental history and will need to be out of my room Monday night because it will already be emptied and locked by then. When I mentioned about the emergency declaration and the protections his answer was, "We are a private business so we don't have to follow those laws or regulations, and was told through his chain of command to continue with business as usual and there wouldn't be any leniency for any reason.

    My issue is that I am well aware of my rights as a tenant (I have the Texas Tenants handbook and have read it cover to cover -I have a PDF downloaded if you would like a copy) and the "process" they use here is not in line with the state regulations. First, I haven't received a written notice stating anything about an eviction being filed in _# of days (3 days minimum before they can file), no written notice for them advising they will be changing my locks, and the state tenants handbook says I have TWO days after my due date before they can add a late fee (they do it next day) and lastly, is it possible or legal for them to really file online to have me evicted, when there is a court mandated order to close all courts and halt evictions and I will have absolutely no way to defend myself, my rights or protect my home. I feel bullied, insulted, lied to and mostly, unsafe and unsure of what, if any rights that I do have, because with an eviction on my credit, then where will I go? I am already here because of years of unfortunate circumstances that I have tried my best to overcome but this would just crush me and start me back at square one. Please, please. If you can help or know anything or anyone that can help me, I would be incredibly grateful.

    Thanks so much.

    submitted by /u/beck00coop
    [link] [comments]

    I financed my fiance's cosmetic surgery, then she left me.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    Summary in the title. I am in in Pennsylvania, US. My fiance lost 100 pounds and needed some skin nipped and tucked, but was unable to finance the surgery due to bad credit. Last January, I agreed to open a credit account called "Care Credit" in my name with the mutual understanding that she would give me the money for the payment every month.

    Unbeknownst to me, she was talking to another man on the side the whole time. Five months after her surgery, she left me for him and has not been keeping up with the payments (she has my login to the CareCredit website). During the five months immediately following the surgery, she made the payments from her bank account without issue.

    Do I have any legal recourse here? Needless to say, I never expected this to happen.

    submitted by /u/gungorthewhite
    [link] [comments]

    (North Carolina) Ex violated a Rule 65 restraining order agreement by showing up to my job with our son, harassed me while he was there. How do I file a motion for contempt?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 07:53 AM PDT

    Hello guys, so on Wednesday afternoon my ex showed up to my job against my previous wishes to not do so (and in violation of a Rule 65 we signed last summer) to drop our son off. He also showed up with flowers, claiming our son picked them out but has repeatedly expressed desires to get back together all of which I have declined. My job is nowhere near our designated exchange site. While he was there, he harassed me about being romantically interested in someone else. My question is, how do I file a motion for civil contempt in Mecklenburg county where this was originally filed?

    submitted by /u/Sapphyreopal5
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord trying to show my house mid-pandemic [MI]

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 05:54 PM PDT

    I live in a single family home in Michigan with 2 other tenants. We all have our own leases.

    Our landlord recently moved out of state and is trying to sell our house. She has asked to have her realtor come for 2 showings tomorrow and myself and the other tenants are understandably (I think) not okay with it. Do we have any right to tell her no?

    submitted by /u/birkenrocks
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal for a former employee to log in to your personal Facebook account?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 06:48 AM PDT

    Hi! This is my first post so if I do something wrong, be easy on me!

    I used my work email to log in to my personal Facebook account. I am no longer working for them and now, they have logged in to my personal Facebook account and done God knows what. They also have changed the password. I would ideally like to log on and change my log in email to a personal one but now I can't even do that.

    What is the legality to this? Can a business log in to your personal account without permission or does the email I used to log in allow them full access?

    I am so mad about this but I do not know what the next step is.

    submitted by /u/Sks1222
    [link] [comments]

    Can you get something notarized without leaving the house?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    Is there any resource for people to get documents notarized without leaving their house? My parents want to have their updated will notarized, but they are seniors and I really don't want them to have to go out. I understand it's a practical thing they really need to do especially right now, but there's got to be something they can do besides go stand in line at the bank! Does anyone know what housebound people normally do in situations like this? They're pretty healthy and I would prefer to keep them that way!

    submitted by /u/bluesgrrlk8
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment