• Breaking News

    Friday, March 20, 2020

    Legal Advice - My girlfriend is being harassed by her coworker over the coronavirus.

    Legal Advice - My girlfriend is being harassed by her coworker over the coronavirus.


    My girlfriend is being harassed by her coworker over the coronavirus.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 08:55 AM PDT

    My girlfriend has lupus and asthma. One day about a week ago she had trouble breathing and it got bad enough an ambulance came out and gave her a breathing treatment. Since then her coworker who is an older woman has been causing scenes at work about her even when she's nowhere near her. Accusing her of putting everyone at risk, and refusing to go where she's been. The manager sent her coworker home one day because she wouldn't stop. Today she found out her coworker called the CDC and reported her and has been trying to get other employees on board to get rid of my girlfriend. My girlfriend shows no symptoms. Because of her condition she already took tons of steps to stay clean and healthy so we were already prepared when all this started. It has been extremely hard on her since she already hates being in the condition she's in. Is there anything we can do?

    Edit: Thank you everyone for the advice. As of now she's filed a report with the store manager for harassment. Being a small company they don't have HR so from there there owner will be involved. Apparently they're saying the store is considered disaster relief so they are not shutting down. I will be talking to her about still taking time off though I know she's afraid of losing her job and or not being able to keep up with bills but we'll make it happen. Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/TWGvekhta
    [link] [comments]

    A restaurant wrongly shamed my father in a Facebook post and he lost business. Is there actual recourse to be found for slander or is that a waste of time? Location: Iowa

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 10:43 AM PDT

    My father owns a lawn care and snow removal business. He has been in business for 15 years, almost 16 and has a strong clientele. This is his primary job (not a side gig) and his sole source of income.

    Two weeks ago he ate lunch at a local restaurant, he did pay his bill, and he left. Three days later he received 5 requests to cancel service all in one day. Finally someone told him WHY they were canceling, and it was that the restaurant he ate at posted his photo (wearing his business uniform) and said he didn't pay his bill. They posted it the afternoon of the same day with a joke-ish message, but then on Friday posted another one asking their "social media warriors" for help.

    As soon as he found out what was happening he went straight to the restaurant and showed them the credit card website showing the charge to their business that day. They ended up figuring out that he and another person ordered the exact same things and that caused confusion with the bill. They apologized and offered him a gift card which he declined. He asked them to delete their Facebook post which they did. He also asked if they would issue a new post explaining but they said they didn't want to because it would make them look like the bad guy.

    Even though they deleted it it has already spread far and wide. Someone on a local business coalition for a summer festival sent it out to all the area business owners and encouraged anyone who uses his service to cancel their service, and many businesses have done so. Many individuals canceled as well. In addition, he went from 53 5-start reviews and 1 4-star review to having more than 50 1-star reviews on his Facebook page. Other websites with business reviews were similarly attacked.

    He is trying to do damage control and has posted on his business social media, has reached out to all the customers asking to cancel, etc. and has gotten a handful of clients back, but is still out many clients and he will struggle to get new ones with such terrible reviews. He has informed the restaurant owner of this and continued to ask them to try to make this right with the community but they insist that will make them look like liars. Which would be right, they are, but they don't care.

    I know when people say negative things about a business someone always comes in and says "careful, that could be construed as slander" and all that. Is slander actually something that can realistically go to court? Would this count?

    I would appreciate any advice as this is devastating for our family and for my father who has worked hard his entire life to be an honest upstanding person and his reputation is crushed, and so is his pride right now. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/businessphoner
    [link] [comments]

    CEO said he's going to take CVOID19 gov't subsidy out of our paycheck

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    State: CA

    "Any subsidies that may be offered by the Federal, State or Local governmental agencies to individuals will be deducted from regular pay "

    How is this legal?

    submitted by /u/ShovelSkunk
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] My dog 'caused injury' to a little girl who wandered onto my property. Am I liable?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    [Texas]

    I live on 25 acres of unfenced land in semi-wilderness, in a gated neighborhood with a few other vacation houses. My enterprising neighbor has airbnb-ed his vacation house, whose 'creekside escape' I imagine appeals to the burnt out city folk who want to quarantine in style. Because half the houses in the neighborhood are unoccupied, he brags to his customers about being able to hike in the immediate area and that they'll have 'the entire place to yourselves' in his listing, even though his house and property are an acre and a half at best. He puts a tiny note at the bottom of his listing informing them of the bounds of his property, and that though they are unlikely to encounter people, should they do so, they should be considerate and 'neighborly'. But it's very easy to miss. His property is fenced, and the rest of the property lines are not fenced but marked with small signage on trees.

    Yesterday, after I'd fed my dogs, I let them out to use the bathroom and smell whatever's new outside. We're not fenced in, but the dogs know to stay close and not wander off, and I usually keep an eye on them even so. It was dark at this point, so I couldn't see much, but I saw multiple flashlight beams, heard voices and laughter in the distance from where I stood on the back porch, so I called the dogs back to me.

    But I guess the dogs were confused and scared at the intrusion, and started barking and approaching whoever it was. I ran to them, and saw a family of six with headlamps walking about like nothing was happening. The dogs never made physical contact, and stood maybe 6ft from the family group barking at them. This apparently startled one of the children as they approached, and she backed away, tripping backwards and hitting her head.

    As I got up to them the mother tended to the daughter, who was crying and holding her head, and the father stormed up to me, furious. I am a short, out of shape woman, so I felt a physical threat, though with the dogs with me I feared how it might escalate. I held the dogs by the scruff, and they growled at the father, but no physical contact.

    He screamed and told me I needed to leash my dogs, why was I letting them run around in this area. When I informed him that this was my private property and he and his family were trespassing, he told me 'I'm gonna sue you so hard, this is negligence!'. I told him that his daughter tripped on a rock, and that's not on me, but he rebutted that my dog 'caused injury' because their barking caused her to trip where she otherwise wouldn't have. I questioned what his family was even doing out here apparently trying to hike when it's dark and late, there's no trails, and they're in an unfamiliar area. He told me that was none of my business, gathered up his family and said to expect a letter from his lawyer. I watched them go, they seemed to be heading in the right way back to my neighbor's house until I couldn't see them, and then went back to my house.

    Does this guy have a case? Airbnb guests are 'reasonably' notified of the property line in the listing, and in the daylight, the property line markers are relatively easy to spot. My dogs didn't bite or even make physical contact with anyone there. It's unfortunate that the girl was injured, but I don't believe I should be liable for it. Would letting a dog out in a large tract of personal property where I would reasonably expect to not encounter anyone count as negligence? Would my dogs barking count as a 'threat'?

    submitted by /u/NinezdThree
    [link] [comments]

    I work at an airport; due to the virus our company has sent a memo that we have to clock out when there aren't flights on the ground. I will be at the airport for more than 25 hours a week and getting paid for maybe 7-8 hours.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    At this point I will be making less money than I would if I were on unemployment. I'm in Nashville TN, inquiring into the legal viewpoint behind this whole situation.

    submitted by /u/skitchie
    [link] [comments]

    NV: friend of mine worked for Cirque de Solei. They were laid off and sent an email with a disclaimer: if you open this email, it will be considered as you signing and agreeing to the "contract within"

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    Title essentially says it all. A good friend of ours worked for Cirque du Solei as a performer. In the midst of all of the Corona stuff, they basically all got laid off.

    Cirque is saying that nobody will get paid out for their accrued vacation (which is a seperate issue on its own, and IANAL so the wording seems intentionally fucky)

    However, my main concern has to do with the email that the employer is claiming that to open means to essentially sign and agree to terms.

    Surely this can't be legal? People need to open this email to see what is happening and where things stand.

    Any replies are greatly appreciated.

    Edit: changed "de" to "du" but couldn't figure out how to fix the title but whatever

    submitted by /u/mmikke
    [link] [comments]

    Company is requiring employees to use PTO days and work when using them.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 06:07 AM PDT

    The COVID-19 outbreak has everybody going crazy, especially in NY. My company sent out an email updating us on our ability to work remotely beginning next week. However; they mention we have to use 1 PTO day per week until July and we have to work on those PTO days we are using.

    I know the PTO arena is not as black and white as it seems, but what about forcing employees to work while using their PTO days? Is there a legal precedent there?

    submitted by /u/Sentz12000
    [link] [comments]

    [Kentucky] A towing company towed my car qith my dogs inside

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 06:59 PM PDT

    First off, I should state that I'm noy a piece of shit and left my dogs in the car overnight or anything. I left my dogs in my car while I ran upstairs to my girlfriends apartment. Ten to fifteen minutes max. I came back down and my car was gone and had been towed. The guy was real rude and I told him I had only been gone for ten minutes and he said that he waited there for me for 20 plus minutes. There are cameras there and I have a phone call log of when I called my girlfriend telling her I was here and when I called her saying my car was gone. 15 minutes to the dot.

    Anyways, they put my pets at risk and they wrongfully towed my car, so does this have any support in court or would it be best to just leave it alone. They charged me 165, which is a lot of money since I recently got laid off due to the COVID-19 stuff so it's not like I have money to spend.

    submitted by /u/ABRYS01
    [link] [comments]

    Report Grocers for Price Gouging

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 10:23 AM PDT

    Today I noticed that the store brand loaf of sandwich bread was double the price. I earn well below the poverty line and currently am not earning anything due to shutdowns. I can't afford double costs when my income has ceased. I reported the store to my state's Attorney General's office. Is there anything else I can do?

    submitted by /u/Githerax
    [link] [comments]

    Covid-19 ruined our wedding

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 08:34 PM PDT

    We were supposed to get married in VA tomorrow, but the governor banned all events over 10 people, which was a needed precaution. Our venue refused to acknowledge the governors mandate and stated they could still hold weddings of up to 100 people. She insisted it wasn't a ban on events over 10 just a recommendation. The caterer also refused to do a refund due to the fact they had purchased the food.

    We messaged the county health department and the department of health for Virginia and both confirmed it was a ban of more than 10 people. The venue continued with their statement of 100 and that this would be us that canceled the wedding instead of it becoming force majeure.

    The venue contract has a force majeure clause stating multiple events including "compliance with any regulation, order, or requirement of any governmental body or agency" that "no party will be liable to any other for failure to perform its obligations hereunder if and to the extent that such failure to perform results from causes beyond its control"

    The caterers contract is very vague and has no force majeure clause.

    Should we be entitled to get our refund or are we just fucked and out tens of thousands of dollars? I've tried contacting multiple attorneys, but with the world in the crazy state it's in, not many are in the office or returning our calls.

    submitted by /u/AnonymousFlowerThief
    [link] [comments]

    Parents won’t allow me to get my personal belongings after choosing to leave

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 08:54 PM PDT

    I [19F] belong to a family that is absolutely toxic. After my university closed due to the coronavirus, I had to go home after my door was closed. Not a day later and I had already endured the emotional abuse that circled through my childhood years and decided I had finally had enough. I went to stay with my boyfriend and they immediately transferred all of my savings out of my bank account and told me that I can't come get my belongings before leaving. They told me I now owe them $24,000 for the tuition they paid for this year that has already been processed and I don't know anything about switching from a dependent to an independent. They told me that they're going to kill my fish tomorrow and get rid of all my stuff. I have what I need to survive but photos, medical documents, ss card, birth certificate, and my personal belongings will all be discarded according to them. In addition, I was given money from my grandma that they also took away from me in the past when I was 18. Is there anything I can do to get the money back? I tried to cancel the transfer and the bank said they couldn't. I also don't know if I have the right to get my personal belongings or not and would like feedback on that. I called my university's mental health crisis line and was told these belongings are mine because they were given to me, despite the fact that I didn't purchase all of them. Is this true? Thank you.

    Edit: I live in Texas

    submitted by /u/kylieb209
    [link] [comments]

    Got a ticket on my BICYCLE for running a stop sign at 2am 2 blocks from my house...I paid ticket and now Fl wants me to go Driving school.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    i live 6 blocks from my work and its all residential streets. On my way home its windy and dark and town is completely dead. 2 blocks from my house squad car lights me up...whaaaa? officer: You know why we stopped you right? Me: 'uh no...i just left work...' Officer: 'give me your drivers licence..' After about 3 mins here he comes with a big long CVS receipt looking thing and my licence. Officer: 'here Im gonna cite you for running that stop sign' (I havent had a ticket since 2004 and i havent owned a car since 2008).....I'm thinking crap there goes 100$....Nope. 264$ Crap...so i go thru the 7 stages of denial, anger, etc...I finally accept it....this was monday march 9th, i got a decent paycheck coming friday, fuck it, i did run it, my fault, i go pay it...ouch.

    Today, i get a single piece of paper telling me i was convicted of a moving violation and need to attend online traffic school before june 20th or i lose license...ugh, which im scared to look up rightnow...

    but i thought the 264 was bad enough, now i have to pay for and watse 4 hours of my life for driving school for vehicles i never drive and i was on a bike I havent had a ticket in 14 years....its 9pm here so DMV or whatever is closed....

    oh and 4 days after I cough up the 264$ my city in florida closed all bars and restaurants with only a 4 hour notice...I work full time in a bar and now I'm unemployed for god knows how long due to virus precautions.... legal advice please.

    submitted by /u/crud3
    [link] [comments]

    Drug addict roommates making my house unsafe I'm in my room barred shut, i have exhausted every option they are legally supposed to be gone, police won't send anyone unless i remove the bar from my door, go out, and get assaulted.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 06:09 AM PDT

    Post title gives you a good idea off my issue. I let some people live with me and get on the rent for next to nothing, as a way to help them get clean and set up with a clinic. They have straight up taken advantage of me at every opportunity, they have never been caught up on rent, EVER, been disrespectful to me, damaged/stolen my property[antique furniture looks like bleach was poured on it], threatened me, used drugs in the house as well as admitting to me she was hooking aground the complex. I'm sitting here the morning after they were legally supposed to be out per the release of roommate contact that everyone signed, i feel incredibly unsafe and i put a wedgein my for to keep it shut cause all i can hear from outside my room is crashing and banging with water going and when i went out to let them know i was notifying authorities, i saw there are random people in my house as well. I had waited as long as i could to notify authorities and i have 2 counties I've tried the non emergency line on because technically where i am is both of their jurisdiction and booth times was told they wouldn't even send a officer to help me safely out of my house because i need to get to the outpatient treatment facility I'm set up with to go take my medication that is not something i can safely go without. Their response at each station was we won't do anything, or even help me safely out of my house unless it has already escalated to violence. This is in Salem, OR 97304 btw if that helps. Alsoi think the junkie chick has warrants.

    submitted by /u/Jbyg503
    [link] [comments]

    Allergist won't give shots due to COVID 19 and won't give me my expensive vials (Ohio)

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 08:04 AM PDT

    I just received notification from my allergist that they are cancelling my allergy shot appointments for the next couple of months due to COVID-19. This is problematic, as the vial mixtures do not have long expiration dates, and I have to pay $900 out of pocket every time they have to mix new ones. Now that I can't get my monthly shot, my vials will likely expire and my immunity may also be compromised resulting in having to take a number of steps back in my series, depending on when they start doing shots again. I have probably over $5,000 wrapped up in allergy shots at this point. They are allowing certain patients to still get them for certain things (randomly snake venom allergies was one exception).

    Back in the day they used to allow you to give yourself shots at home, but won't now for liability reasons. My mom is an RN and I have agreed to sign a release of liability waiver, but they still will not release the vials I paid for. No other allergists in the area are doing this - they are just scheduling people further apart, and having them wait their 20 mins. after the shot in their cars instead of office.

    Are there any legal means I can use to get the vials I paid for, so I can continue to get my allergy shots?

    Edit: It wasn't snake venom. Apparently they are still letting people who have insect venom allergies get shots. So folks who are allergic to bee stings. I'm assuming they die if they get stung, so that makes sense. But still...give me my serum :(

    submitted by /u/OSUDiva
    [link] [comments]

    Someone on OfferUp sold me a financed phone. What should I do?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    This happened in California. I purchased an iPhone XR from someone on OfferUp for $400. The phone was locked to T-Mobile. We met in a parking lot. I brought my T-Mobile SIM card to test it, it worked, and I bought it. 2 months later T-Mobile shut down service because the phone it turns out the phone was financed (not paid off) and still had a balance due. Now I'm out $400 and have a phone I cannot use. What should I do?

    P.S. Just checked his profile. He has many iPhones for sale. He apparently does this for a living.

    P.P.S. No, I didn't buy it using a card. I bought it with cash in a parking lot. I was thinking along the lines of going to the police to report the fraud. And he does this for a living, he has at least 5 phones up for sale at any given time. I was thinking of setting him up with an undercover to shut him down.

    submitted by /u/JustVermicelli3
    [link] [comments]

    Employer says they cant pay us for the oast 3 weeks

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 10:29 AM PDT

    South florida, i work in a restaurant our last check was from feb 17 to march 1st. Up until march 15 it was pretty busy and mybwife and i both worked extra hours doing up to 3 doubles in a row. We get 5 an hour plus tips and together made over 4k together these past 3 weeks. Most in tips.

    Our boss is saying they dont have the funds but will pay us as soon as they get goverment assistance. We are all depending on this money now more than ever and a friend who started march 1st hast recieved any money for the past 3 weeks and cant even afford to buy groceries.

    submitted by /u/allseeingike
    [link] [comments]

    cps has been called 6 times and never did an investigation (Florida)

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 02:24 PM PDT

    I am a 14 year old male and i was abused physically, mentally, and emotionally by my mom and 2 sisters ever since i can remember all the way up to when i was 10-11 because i got stronger than them so they could no longer physically abuse me but they continued the mental and emotional abuse,throughout those years i sought help multiple times and had cps "investigate" my household roughly 4 times but they only ever talked to my mom and sisters but never to me. More recently i was able to get them to "investigate" my house 2 more times and these times they only ever talked to my mom and no one else,including me. this post was mainly a short rant but im also kinda wondering what i can do, even though im unlikely to do it because of Stockholm syndrome and doubt anything would happen except me being punished by the "law" and my family for seeking help(like i have been every time)

    sorry if what i said is hard to understand, im not that good at typing

    submitted by /u/firemonster221
    [link] [comments]

    So my son’s teacher has been reading books to the kids while they’re out of school via an app. She records herself reading and sends it to us to share with the students at our convenience. Now she says she has to stop because of copyright laws. Isn’t there an exception for education? I’m confused.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 09:15 PM PDT

    What are the acceptable ways to teach kids during quarantine?

    submitted by /u/ToeJamFootballer
    [link] [comments]

    (Indiana) Ticketed for having headlights off, and 1/2 gram of pot in car. Have received no information in mail or at station from police, but multiple letters from attorneys in the mail. Can I get this to stop? I'm also leaving the state in 6 weeks for work, how do I settle this before I depart?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    Backstory. Was pulling out of a gas station, and I forgot to turn my headlights on. About 3 blocks down the road, get flashed and I pull over. Officer says he smells pot in the car, claims he has K-9 unit in his car (untrue) and took me out of the car. Called 4 other cops, searched the car, found 1/2 gram of pot and a one hitter. And then gave me a piece of paper, saying to pay $535 in the next week at the station, in cash.

    When I arrived and paid 5 days later, I was told that money was simply a bond, and that I have to go to court and I should have received information in the mail. It has now been 9 days since the incident and no information has come in the mail, HOWEVER, I keep getting ads for local lawyers.

    I'm frustrated and confused for several reasons.

    First, the officer who pulled me over did not tell me that I was charged with a misdemeanor, only that I had to pay a fine. This was only corrected when I went to the clerks desk and they informed me otherwise.

    Second, I am very annoyed that they have been taking this long to give me the full information about my legal situation, and my obligations. I feel lied to by the officer at the scene, and that I'm in a totally separate situation than I previously thought. It's maddening that the local attorneys have been more actively mailing me than the police department.

    And lastly, when I told them I am moving states in May, when the supposed court date would be, they offered me no recourse. I just want to get this settled as fast as possible, and I hope a pending court date won't totally derail my new position.

    I'm just really stressing, friends, and I could just use some advice and a bit of clarity.

    Thank you for reading, and stay safe out there, wherever you may be in the world.

    TL;DR - 1/2 of a gram of pot is causing me tons of headache.

    submitted by /u/winniethefluh
    [link] [comments]

    My mother is threatening to tell the police I'm suicidal because she's having an episode.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    she has no history of mental health issues, while I have a history with mental health issues. She said "who are they going to believe? someone with mental health issues or someone with no history" I don't know what to do I'm literally lost it's stressing me out so much. I'm not suicidal in any way. I'm in Texas.

    submitted by /u/Galaxy_Flys
    [link] [comments]

    Will not receive pay from my employer, the LA Archdiocese, and been told I am not eligible for unemployment because " as employees of Catholic schools we are not eligible for California state unemployment benefits because we do not contribute to the program." What can I do?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    The last sentence of the email was " May God bless and protect us always." Yeah, right.

    submitted by /u/necessitounnombre
    [link] [comments]

    Michigan - Landlord of Apartment Complex Lost Cashier's Check (Due to Theft of Lockbox) and They Are Demanding New Checks for March Rent. Cashier's Check is Already Cashed.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 07:35 AM PDT

    I'm posting this for my sister in law. I've advised her to seek an attorney but I'm also reaching out here to try and get some information.

    She deposited a cashier's check into the apartment lockbox on Feb 28th. Soon after, someone broke off the lockbox and took everyone's rent checks. The apartment is now demanding that tenants pay again for the month of March.

    My question: Is this legal? Shouldn't the apartment have insurance to cover such an event? It seems fishy that they are demanding this rent money even though they themselves have claimed it was stolen and especially during this time where people aren't able to work due to COVID-19. My SIL's boyfriend was just told he can't return to work (construction) until it all cools down, so they are already low on income.

    Edit: I asked SIL to send a copy of lease agreement and the stapled packet she has lists in the table of contents a "Rent and Payment" section but it is nowhere in the packet. She's going to the office to obtain a copy today. The fish smell is getting stronger by the minute.

    submitted by /u/WholesomeHeart
    [link] [comments]

    Employer penalizing workers for taking unemployment

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    Ohio. Employer is sending us home for 1 month. I have enough PTO for two weeks and planned on getting unemployment for the rest. However, we were just informed that if we apply for unemployment we will lose our seniority and health insurance. Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/Cindy_Lou_Who
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment