• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 21, 2020

    Legal Advice - I was the executor of the estate when my grandmother died. My mother is hounding me for money.

    Legal Advice - I was the executor of the estate when my grandmother died. My mother is hounding me for money.


    I was the executor of the estate when my grandmother died. My mother is hounding me for money.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 04:32 PM PST

    Throwaway for reasons.

    My grandmother passed away in May of 2018. She left me (i am 22 now) as the executor of the estate because my mother (almost 50) cannot handle herself. She has problems with the law, alcohol abuse, etc.

    The will states that the estate was to be split 50/50. We are in the state of Georgia.

    First things first, life insurance. We each got a pay out of $60,000.

    Second: my grandmother owned a house with an $800 mortgage and $150 HOA fee. The house's current market value is about $160k. I have been trying to sell this house since she died, but my mother refuses to move out. The bills are paid monthly essentially from the bank account my grandmother left. I wanted to either rent the house out (3br) to make some side money or to straight up sell the house. Either way, money would be split 50/50. Since my grandmother died, my mom has been squatting in the house. She refuses to move out as her credit is bad and she had to spend nearly all of her money on lawyers. She only recently had some of the bills transferred to her name.

    Third: I was given a trust via Edward Jones that my grandma left me. Not long after her death, the company gave me a call and my name, as well as my grandmother's name, is on the statements. The trust includes a traditional IRA, Roth IRA, stocks, mutual funds etc. I'm pretty sure most of this is retirement stuff and/or stuff that can't be touched until I'm 60+ without a severe penalty. There is roughly $120k in these accounts. My grandma had issued a c/o solely in my name but did not specifically say that these are 50/50.

    I am planning on seeing a lawyer but I want to make sure I am asking the right questions:

    1. Am I able to be compensated for the time my mom spent living in that house rent free on what I could have made renting the rooms out/selling the house then?
    2. If I have to pay out of pocket for repairs, once the house is sold, will I be reimbursed for them or will it still be 50/50?
    3. Is my mom allowed to harass me daily, asking me to withdraw at least $20,000 from the IRAs/stocks/mutual funds because 'she has run out of money'?

    I still have plenty of the insurance money left and make my own money at my own job, so I am not hurting for money. My mom, however, is hounding me for money non-stop. What things should I be bringing up?

    submitted by /u/thrwawayexecutor
    [link] [comments]

    An ER dr. watched me have a stroke, misdiagnosed me, increased my pain for hours, then she was done with me. can i do anything?

    Posted: 20 Jan 2020 11:45 PM PST

    I have always been open with all my drs. about my usage and feel its important. I do however regret telling the ER about it and i will explain why. I went to the ER for side/flank pain, vomiting, and speech issues. while alone in my room i started to vomiting and could feel my hands start tingling and the feeling kept going higher up my arms. I page the nurse in who gets the dr. in. I say " ting, ting, arms, up" oh shit, i cant talk right, im getting upset because i cant say whats going on. The dr. tells me to calm down because im just hyperventilating. I say " ting, up" as i realize that i suddenly have the hardest Elvis lip ever and its stuck. I say " face, ting, froze" The dr. asks about pot and how long i have smoked.i had already told the admitting nurse that i smoke. i tried to say 15 but im not even sure of the sound i made. the dr. then turns to the RN and tells him to give me adavan and capsaicin or capsin lotion. dr. tells me that i am sick because i smoke pot and the lotion will pull the pot toxins from my body.

    This hot pepper lotion they put on me did nothing but burn my body for hours. Burned me hours after the nurse and i washed it off multiple times. At this point dr. wanted to discharge me. I must admit that i stepped out of myself and embarrassingly begged and sobbed and pleaded with them to help me because i was still in alot of pain. they said they could keep me over night so i got a room upstairs. they did nothing the next day and no matter how much pleading i did with them they discharged me. My discharge papers say i was treated for abdominal pain and was prescribed anti nausea meds. I called my family Dr. who had me come in and he sent me right back to an ER. I certainly wasnt going back to the same one. I went to the new ER, admitted for 5 days due to a stroke and 2 kidney infarctions. I used to think kidney stones were one of my most painfull events. I have never in my life felt so much pain as i did with these kidney infarctions. It was quite a traumatic event. very frustrating and scary.

    This Dr. looked me right in the eyes while i was having a stroke and told me that this was my fault for smoking pot and that her magic pepper lotion would help me, and then basically sent me away.

    So this is why i regret telling the ER. All i was to them was a pothead not worthy of saving.

    any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    edit: Pennsylvania, USA

    submitted by /u/tootztail33
    [link] [comments]

    My Landlord is requesting we let his Ex-con Cousin stay on the living room couch for a couple weeks.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 10:10 AM PST

    Hi,

    Let me preface this by saying I am a 22 year old student currently on a co-op term. I reside in Ontario, Canada

    I am subletting a room from an individual whom is renting half of a duplex home. A few days ago he requested that we let his ex-con cousin (Armed Robbery) stay in the house for a couple weeks while he gets back on his feet (rent free). I would very much like to avoid having this ex-con live on the couch for a few days (if it is truly only that long). Do I have any legal rights or options to avoid this situation? we do not have another bedroom and this guy would just be living on a couch in the living room. I have gotten a lock for my door. but I would like to avoid the situation all-together. I had given him first and last months rent (paying month-month) and would like to get my last months deposit back if it comes down to that.

    Appreciate any advice on this!

    Edit: If I give my notice to move out; and I am out of the house before the first of the month, will i be able to get my last months rent deposit back?

    submitted by /u/FlaccidPassion
    [link] [comments]

    Ex-wife is using death of a girlfriend as ammo for custody

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 04:08 PM PST

    In Massachusetts.

    My friend "Sean" just lost his girlfriend "Mary" at a tragically young age. She died of a sudden but common illness "chickenpox" that is almost never lethal. For two weeks she was visited by friends, family, and well wishers at her hospital bed, expecting her condition to improve but it never did. The illness is stated on her death certificate.

    Sean has joint custody of his two, pre-teen daughters by his ex-wife "Lisa." Their court-ordered custody arrangements have scheduled days where they swap custody, visitation days and the usual. Lisa has a bit more financial means and has frequently attempted to re-litigate custody, wracking up $30k in legal bills for Sean without any substantive change in their arrangement.

    She is very publicly winding up her latest case. Lisa alleges that Mary must have actually been using drugs in front of the children (who both loved Mary dearly for what it's worth). She claims that this is the only imaginable cause of death because no one dies of "chickenpox," and tsks knowingly that she always knew there was something wrong going on.

    Timing could not be worse. Besides losing his girlfriend, Sean has lost his lawyer (who became a judge) and has no representation at the moment. For now, he has somewhat brushed off the legal problem as a familiar and more distant pain.

    Weaponizing the family's tragedy is more offensive than the usual, baseless court battle. Is there any recourse besides the usual, bunkering down and paying a new lawyer? It would be swell to not only dismiss the latest bogus claim but maybe discourage the next one from ever coming.

    submitted by /u/MADeathNCustody
    [link] [comments]

    Started new job that offered health insurance, had heart attack, and now work is saying I don't have coverage. HELP

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 04:26 PM PST

    [OH] I started working at a CPA firm as admin assistant after a break from work when I didn't have insurance. My health insurance was supposed to start after 30 days being employed. This was/is outlined in my official offer letter. It's right there, after salary, and retirement contributions, it says "Medical Healthcare after 30 days employment," and even gives the amount they pay toward it as a factor of my total employment package.

    Well, I started and asked several times about what I need to do to get it started, fill out papers, etc... and they kept dragging their feet, pushing it off. On day 26, I finally was given the paperwork and immediately filled it out and gave it back. It was signed, scanned, and I printed a copy for my records, which I still have. On day 37, I asked if it was turned on because I happen to have an appointment the following week, they said they will check.

    Well guess what, day 40 I have a minor heart attack. My husband calls and tells them, and they wish me well and to take care of myself. I get out of the hospital with a bill well over $100,000 after several days. I called them and tell them I probably won't be able to come to work for 4-6 weeks at the advice of my doctor. Several days later, I receive an email that I have been "let go." I call and they say because I'm not able to finish my "probationary 90-day period," they decide to let me go. I did agree to that 90 day period and that I could be let go for any reason. After calls to the company, the supposed insurance company (Anthem), and the hospital, I've basically been told I have no insurance. Anthem has no record, of course the hospital didn't get info from us because I didn't have it at the time.

    What do I do? Did I have insurance starting from day 31, like I was told in my offer letter? I filled out the paperwork before day 30. Please help!!!

    submitted by /u/scaredwithbillsTA
    [link] [comments]

    I think I am being punished for (not) reporting to OSHA

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 11:24 AM PST

    Recently my workplace got reported for violations and I was singled out as suspected for reporting. I DID NOT DO IT. But I feel like I'm being accused because I vocalized complaints about the issue but was not the only one, but they think it's me. Just the highest paid one I suppose.

    I was accused in front of coworkers and customers and now I'm being ostracized by others so I feel I've been gossiped about too. And now my hours have been cut significantly since this incident (by ~15 hours). Honestly, I'm looking for another job, I'm not concerned about trying to keep my job, but concerned about not getting my back pay I'm owed for a month now as part of this "punishment" that seems to be forcing me out.

    I have no idea what to do, I'm in Indiana if that helps. I'm too scared to put more info because I know some coworkers reddit but no idea if they frequent these kinds of subs. I can give more info in private I suppose if that would help.

    Thank you so much.

    submitted by /u/throwaway58392929
    [link] [comments]

    People putting bumper stickers on my car.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 09:34 AM PST

    Using an alt account for this. For three weeks in a row someone has been putting Trump bumper stickers on my Nissan Leaf. On the 5th it was one, I didn't notice it for a whole day. On the 12th it was 2, and last night overnight it was 4.

    Not really sure what to do at this point, any advice would be welcome.

    Edit: Thanks bot. This is in Portland, OR

    submitted by /u/AstroDumpHyperDrive
    [link] [comments]

    Security system company saying we “verbally agreed” to contract and won’t let us cancel service.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 11:13 AM PST

    My wife and I have a Security system that we do not use. We used to in the past, but the power was wired through the walls of our house and coming out of a power outlet, to a plug that was then plugged into that same power outlet. It caused the outlet to not be able to have a protective cover on it and was all around done poorly. Eventually I removed the plug, really it fell off because again it was done poorly, and we decided we would no longer use the system.

    The system was in the house when my wife purchased her home and at some point when she was having issues with it they did send a tech out to fix the system and did a minor upgrade (wasn't asked for).

    Since we decided not to use the system we called to cancel and they are saying that in order to cancel we have to buy out the contract. We argue that we did not sign any contracts with them and they tell us it was a "verbal contract" which neither of us ever remember agreeing to.

    When we ask for a copy of the phone call with us agreeing to the "verbal contract" they say they cannot send it to us, but they can have someone review the call and let us know the results of that review. This seems really shady to us and my wife did tell them to send us a copy of the call or we will be getting an attorney involved.

    Is it legal for them to not provide us a copy of this "verbal contract". Are we really roped into this contract for the next 29 months with the only option of reprieve being to buy it out?

    This is in Iowa

    Edit: clarity

    submitted by /u/CloudCity_Mayor
    [link] [comments]

    Divorced 10 years ago, part of separation agreement was ex was supposed to transfer real estate into their name but never did. Now I want to sell and they are non cooperative.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 09:00 AM PST

    As the title says, I was divorced 10 years ago.

    Part of the separation agreement was for my ex spouse to make all mortgage payments, etc. for a piece of property (Georgia) that's in my name, but transfer the property to her name in 2 years. This never happened due to her not having verifiable income (long story) and me never really pushing the issue.

    My ex and I are cordial and get along. I've never really worried about the property because she makes all the payments on time and takes care of the place. Sometimes she stays there. Sometimes she rents it. Every year or so I would always say "we need to handle this..." and she would agree but not do anything about it. I let it go.

    Fast forward 10 years, and despite the property not really costing me anything, I've said this is the year I get my life in order - so I'd like it to be taken care of and removed from my credit report.

    Problem is, she still has no verifiable income. Apparently her life is one gigantic tax deduction to avoid the IRS, so she shows no income. This is, of course, problematic when it comes to getting a mortgage.

    The mortgage is non-assumable, so her taking over is not an option. She's asked if I will co-sign which I won't do. She's asked if there are any other options to get the property in her name, but I'm at a loss.

    I want the property off my books, and I've told her if there's no movement on it in the next few months I'm going to sell it. This does not sit well with her, and she accuses me of "taking what's hers" despite the fact I intend to keep none of the proceeds, and she knows this.

    I'm at a loss on how to proceed. I'm a bit concerned that if I go to sell it she will attempt to block the sale and keep me from the property.

    Help!

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/jacksjj
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate demands I pay for him and his girls utilities.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 10:11 AM PST

    Hello r/legaladvise I am currently dealing with a crazy roommate situation in College. We have a 2 bed, 1 bath that we split utilities on (the bill is in his name). Several months ago, his girlfriend decided to illegally move into our until. (The lease has both of our names on it with strict rules about undocumented tenants moving in) Long story short, I came back after a month from Christmas break to find out that the communal living space had been completely overtaken. Boxes, suitcases, shoe racks, even the apartment supplied-shared TV was moved into his bedroom. After kindly asking him if he could restore the living room to how it was, he basically told me to get a new roommate. I am now in a different unit fortunately, however am receiving threats to pay half of the utilities that I was not only there to compound, but he broke his lease agreement by having an illegal tenant living there and is expecting that I pay for their Utilities while I was absent. Does his breach of lease allow for the utilities to be completely removed from my financial responsibility and fully his problem? Sorry, we're in Texas. Edit: added state

    submitted by /u/Mcshakenbacon
    [link] [comments]

    My parents are forcing me out of ownership of the house

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 06:46 PM PST

    Hi r/legaladvice,

    Living in Atlanta, Georgia.

    A few years ago, I entered into a joint purchase of my first house with my parents to take advantage of a hot housing market. Yeah, red flags all around, but at the time I was single, not sure where I wanted to go in life, and there were various financial advantages. They helped with ~60% of the down payment, transferring money to my account within monetary gift limits so that I could write out a single check for that. In return, they'd wanted to move in after their retirement, and it was still several years ways off so it was agreed if circumstances changed significantly that required me to leave the state (job, relationship, etc.), they could sell the house that they owned already elsewhere, buy out this one, and I would be free.

    The house was bought, the mortgage was taken out, we all signed our names on the house deed and mortgage. I became the sole contributor to paying off the 15-year loan. Two years ago, my parents decided they really liked the house, decided to move all their stuff. They contributed to re-painting, lawn work, window replacements, etc. that we shared investment in.

    Then I met someone and our relationship became serious fairly quickly. They were already planning to move to my city with their best friend before I met them, so it was inevitable that living arrangements would need to be figured out. I offered my SO's friend to move in as well to have some extra time. I wasn't about to be someone who'd be so callous to abandon someone in such a way.

    My parents freaked. Not immediately, but it became obvious over my conversations with them from time to time that they were highly skeptical of the arrangement, yet they still agreed to it. HOA board had no issue with this.

    Fast forward now to two weeks before the agreed move-in date, they changed their mind (over a bizarre dispute with me), saying since they are also owners of the house, they don't have to let anyone move in without their approval. So the move is not happening. It became apparent to me that they've been absolutely batshit insane after they slipped the real reason why they don't want the move to happen.

    They refuse to let me reimburse them for the portion of their down payment that they contributed, to pay to move their stuff back to their other house that they've not yet managed to sell or rent out… they simply refuse to let the house go to me under any circumstances. They're torching all bridges with me for this fucking house. They are dead to me. Hard-ass lesson learned.

    At this point, I've contributed well more to the mortgage than they contributed to the down payment. The house value has increased a good bit as well in the current market.

    Are the chances of me having the house now completely fucked? Is my only option is to let them buy out the house from me?

    I just want to get out of this situation somehow without a huge loss, or any loss, or really just everything that I am due, so what can I do?

    Thanks...

    submitted by /u/fkkkkme
    [link] [comments]

    [IA] Friend (22F) is suspicious that estranged mother (54F) sabotaged application to medical school

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 07:04 PM PST

    I am writing this with permission from my friend to post.

    My friend and roommate is currently in the process of applying to graduate school. She successfully got an interview with the University of Iowa medical school and had a positive interview. Soon afterward (mid-December) she was told (via email) from the University of Iowa that she would receive their decision by January 16rth. January 16th came and went and she did not receive any word from the University, so my roommate emailed them to see what was going on. They responded with:

    "It was my understanding through an email that you sent to Dr. XXX that you accepted admission elsewhere and no longer wished to be considered for admission to the University of Iowa. Is this incorrect?"

    She obviously was very upset and responded that she had never sent them an email saying this. The only email she had sent previously was asking about when she could expect to hear their decision.

    So, it turns out that someone had made a fake email account pretending to be my roommate. On January 14th the FAKE email sent this to an admissions representative:

    "Hi. My name is (roommate) and I wanted to let you know that I have decided to enroll in another school. Please remove me from the applicant pool. Thank you for the opportunity to interview with your school.

    Sincerely,

    (roommate)"

    The email also included my roommate's full name which is very unique and her last name is extremely uncommon.

    The email address this person used was completely new and had never been used by my roommate before. Both her and I attempted emailing this address after we found out and found that it has since been deleted.

    NOW onto the drama

    My roommate has an extremely strained, abusive relationship with her mother. This psychotic behavior started directly before her mother and father divorced (over 5 years ago) and has continued since. Time and time again her mother has had psychotic episodes, some of which have resulted in the police being called. These included ripping keys out of the ignition of a moving car, attempting to jump in front of cars, and other similar violent acts. Among these physical signs of psychosis, she is extraordinarily mentally abusive and manipulative, including threatening to kill herself if my roommate leaves her, sending vague threats over small things and generally being unhinged.

    My roommate is the only person in her direct family that has maintained any sort of contact with her mother, including taking the majority of the abuse. In the past few months my roommate has gone to therapy for the damage her mother has caused, and for her own mental health decided to completely block her mother on everything over the holidays (from November until now). My roommate has not had contact with her mother since November.

    Another piece of relevant information: my roommate's Dad and Stepmother live in Iowa City, where the University of Iowa is. Her other college option was Des Moines University, in Des Moines, which is where her mother lives. Her mother absolutely despises her father and is aware he lives in Iowa City.

    Now, the fake email has been deleted, and due to Gmail privacy, there is no way that we can find to track the IP address.

    Here is where we ask for help.

    What are my roommate's options? As you can probably guess we strongly believe that her mother has reached a new low and attempted to sabotage her opportunity at the University of Iowa. I suggested she report this to the police as possible identity theft at least to have it on record. Is there something we could do about the Gmail account? Are there any legal options here when it comes to the University? Especially considering they took the word of a random Gmail account that wasn't connected to my roommates profile through the school application portal?

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/saraisraining
    [link] [comments]

    Denied research opportunity due to sex [NM]

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 01:24 PM PST

    Location: New Mexico, USA.

    Girlfriend ("Jane") works for a large publicly-funded research institution "INST". Jane gets paid by contracts brought to INST by outside researchers, companies, and agencies.

    Jane has been working on a contract brought to INST by man named "Phil". She has planned the testing, bought equipment, etc. This morning, Jane's boss "Mike" informs her that Phil will not allow any women to participate in testing their devices. Phil believes that his work with this technology caused his children to be born with leukemia. Mike informs Jane that Jane will be replaced for testing by a male employee "Chris". Jane will still be on the contract, but will not gain the valuable hands-on experience of the actual testing.

    Jane has both contemporaneous text messages documenting the meeting, and an email confirming that she will be removed from the testing because Phil does not want to expose women to the perceived dangers of testing.

    To be clear, no one at INST believes there is any risk from this testing, only Phil. The testing occurs at another large publicly funded institution, where there are extremely strict safety protocols in place.

    Several questions:

    1. Without getting into the literal contract, Phil pays INST, INST pays Jane. Is it Jane's boss's responsibility to protect her rights? Or is this a case of "the customer is always right"?
    2. From what I could read, this treatment violates both Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the New Mexico Human Rights Act of 1969. What are the potential repercussions of filing under each of these for both Jane and potentially INST?
    3. What could something like the the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission do in a case like this where there have been no monetary damages, only a loss of valuable experience?

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Un_FuckingBelievable
    [link] [comments]

    Wife received Tax Warrant from CT for 16 yr old taxes.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 06:05 PM PST

    My wife moved to my home state of N.C. in 2003 from CT. Since she failed to mail her car tags back to CT (specifically the city she lived in) apparently they just kept charging her property tax for the next three years (2004-2006) which now they feel like she owes a total of around $4,400. The car itself was even sold within that time period and she didn't even own it!

    I tried searching online and read nightmare stories of how CT has been pulling this crap but not requiring themselves to provide you with proof, so you a lowly tax payer can't even fight their claims.

    The threat is of seizure of property, or wage garnishment. Reading CTs law it seems like they have the authority to seize your property "in" CT, but doesn't sound like they can travel. As far as the garnishment, N.C. seems to have stricter garnishment requirements so I wonder if a sudden 16 yr old tax bill from a city in another state would qualify.

    I guess the question is what should I do? Would providing proof of the move and proof of sale be enough to wrap up in a pretty envelope for them to shove up their hind end?

    Edit: Upon further research it looks like CT has a 15 yr limitation for collecting property taxes, so even if 2004 and 2005 were legit they are beyond the limitations. It seems CT uses a collection agency and they are the ones that scan the records looking for past due accounts to try and collect on. If I can find proof her car was sold and she didn't even live there I'm hoping 2006 could be proven to be a false charge.

    Also y'all jokers in CT got it rough; When my wife got the first property tax bill for her car in NC she asked me if it was the monthly payment hahaha.

    submitted by /u/snortinsawdust
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord removed back porch on my second story apartment without notice, I just almost stepped out the door and fell down a 30ft drop

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 04:53 PM PST

    I'm in New Orleans, LA. This evening I arrived home from work and went to let my dog out the back door of my second story apartment, when I stepped through the door the landing was entirely gone. I was able to throw myself backwards so as not to fall a story down onto the concrete below, and just barely grab my dog who usually races out the door. There are no lights out back, and I was never notified of the porch being removed. It's literally a 30ft drop onto concrete right outside my back door. This seems insanely dangerous. I feel incredibly lucky that me and my dog weren't hurt or killed.

    Yesterday I ran into my neighbor who told me that she had happened to speak in passing with one of the guys who had been working on the shed in our backyard, and he mentioned something to the effect of doing some work on the porch, but it was never stated that they would be removing the entire structure. I just assumed they were replacing the railing, which was falling apart. If my neighbor hadn't happened to speak with that construction worker and pass that on to me, I certainly wouldn't have paused to have a look and absolutely would have fallen.

    I've gone back through my emails and phone records, and the landlord hasn't sent any notice of this that I have overlooked, despite sending an email earlier today to say that a construction worker stepped in pet waste and all tenants would pay a $50 fee the next time there was dog poop in the yard. Since the shock has worn off, I'm feeling really pissed. How could you send an email about some dog poo but not bother to warn tenants about a drop off right outside their door? Is this legal? Is there anything I can do? I'm not looking to sue Wi

    submitted by /u/shake_appeal
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] Backyard Fences and Adverse Possession (w/ Paint diagram)

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 03:54 PM PST

    We recently purchased a home, with an existing property line issue which has existed for years. I made a diagram in Paint that is wildly disproportionate, but you'll get the gist. Essentially, our current back fence is built about 2 feet into our property, according to a new survey. At some point, the neighbors behind us built their fences into our property, along our current existing fence.

    We want to replace our dilapidated fence sooner rather than later, and when we do so, we would like to build on the actual property line and reclaim our 2 feet. We are willing to pay to move and re-install the neighbor's fence so that there isn't any financial impact.

    We do realize that there is a real possibility that the land is gone via adverse possession, but we also know that the laws in NY have recently changed.

    Is is worth is to try and fix this? Should we hire a lawyer and go full out? Or should we suck it up and build our new fence on the existing fence line and pretend like we don't know where the real line is?

    Diagram

    submitted by /u/RELegalHelp1
    [link] [comments]

    Court coming up for three felony charges. Caught them while I was on probation.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 04:35 PM PST

    So I'm a 27 year old male living in Maricopa county, AZ. I have a fairly lengthy criminal past (all drug related or a product of drug use). I'm on probation for an F6 (possession of marijuana), and back when I was still using drugs, I got two felony (F4) drug possession cases, and a aggravated DUI (also a felony, I was on a suspended license at the time). I have court on Friday, where I should hopefully get my first plea. I've been going to court for these for a while, but have just been receiving continuances.

    I have stopped using drugs altogether; I've been sober for over 6 months now and am finally working and being a productive member of society, for literally like the first time ever. Unfortunately, I think I've used up my second chances and this time am probably definitely looking at some prison or jail time. Here in AZ we pretty much have mandatory flat time for a second offense felony DUI, and as far as I've been told, I am expecting at least 4 months for that. Crossing my fingers that I can get work release in county jail instead of prison time; but I don't know how that is determined. This is just the first time I've actually taken a job seriously, and am actually doing pretty well at it (have been there for about 5 months and received 2 promotions).

    So I can't afford a paid attorney, am stuck with a public defender. My probation officer isn't going to violate me for the new charges (I check in with her frequently and she knows I'm doing everything I should be). I have documentation of drug tests from back to July that are all consistently clean, I have letters from my work and sponsor in AA and some chips from AA meetings. I also completed an inpatient rehab program and am currently in an outpatient rehab program set to graduate on the 30th.

    My question really is just if anyone else has any other recommendations of how I should approach this Friday when I have to face the music. I have a lot of anxiety surrounding this right now and would do anything to not have to go to prison, that's honestly a huge fear of mine for the simple fact that there's a strong chance it could lead me to relapse, knowing that I will feel like I have much less to lose than if I could stay out of prison/jail.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/whiskeydorito
    [link] [comments]

    Oil truck damaged my retaining wall, hit and run

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 05:50 PM PST

    Hopefully an easy one for you all. I'm located in Massachusetts.

    This happened about 12 hours ago.

    Came home to a damaged retaining wall at the opening of my driveway. Went and looked at my recorded Ring doorbell camera footage and found a recording of a oil truck doing a 10-point turn using my driveway. While the contact to the wall can't be seen directly, the trucks movements at time of impact and the audio is extremely apparent.

    Called the oil company this evening after business hours and left them a voicemail explaining the situation, that they were caught on camera, and that I am seeking remediation, otherwise will pursue this further in small claims court, and requested a call back.

    Planning to call a couple landscaping companies in the morning to get quotes for the repair and have them to pay for what's quoted. Not going to ask them to embellish it, just strictly scoping for the repair.

    Long term we were planning on widening the driveway anyway, so was just going to take the money and sit on it for that eventual project to take place.

    Should I approach this differently? Should I consider alternate recourse?

    And does the fact that it was a hit and run bear any weight?

    Thank you all in advance!

    submitted by /u/sharp0bjects
    [link] [comments]

    Construction company says 'right of way' and wants to dig a trench

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 06:47 PM PST

    In PA, USA. This construction company is claiming about 10 foot deep into my yard is 'right of way' and wants to lay down water lines going to a newly constructed apartment complex. This will dig up a parking spot and a grass yard. The deed has no right of way or easement passage. What to-do next or is this legit?

    submitted by /u/gaporom
    [link] [comments]

    Airbnb landlord illegally evicted me while the lease was still valid, and changed the locks on me and made me call the police multiple times to retrieve my stuff (California)

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 01:27 PM PST

    I am in the state of California. The Lease was valid for 6 months and I was paying month to month. Stayed 19 days into the stay before the landlord went completely crazy and locked my girlfriend and I out with our stuff still inside. EDIT: Airbnb has issued a full refund... even for the nights we did stay in the home of the landlord.

    She went into our room and took our stuff and threw all of our belongings onto the garage floor. We then called the police and they assisted on a "keeping the peace" call and let us load up our cars with our stuff. This happened 2 nights in a row and we are going back today to get the last of our things. Landlord clearly followed no eviction process. I did nothing to violate the terms of the lease, nor was I subleasing or dealing drugs or doing any crimes in her home. We have been saving our motel receipts and receipts for food etc. whilst we have been unable to cook our own food. Landlord is stealing some of my property and also there is property damage on our things that were haphazardly thrown onto my carbon fiber bicycle(damaging my bike but also getting bike grease on my rather expensive clothing.... amongst other damages due to landlords little to no attempt to pack anything)

    Both times the police assisted, they quickly learned that this woman is being childish and crazy. The second night a supervisor was called to the scene.

    The first night with the first duo of cops, they entered the garage with me to grab my things and talked to the landlords whilst I loaded my car. The landlord was being snappy and disrespectful to the cops to which they replied, "I am now a witness to all of this." Is this legal jargon for, "When the tenants sue you, I'll be testifying in court against you" ????

    EDIT: here's a little timeline to help understand the situation better.

    Day 19: landlord tells me I have to be out by 11am on day 20. Landlord begins taking things from my room and throwing them on the garage floor. Later on this day, landlord locks us out and tells us we can't come back to their home.

    Day 20: landlord tells me that she will allow me to get my things with police assistance. Later on in this day, the lease was terminated and a full refund was issued by Airbnb. Later in the night I had cops assist retrieval of property.

    Day 21: Called cops again and they helped me get more property.

    Day 22: this is the current date, I'll be getting the last of my things later today with police assistance.

    I will absolutely go and talk to a lawyer to figure out when my statute of limitations is up because I am here for 6 months for school and I want to sue later as won't be missing school for court (class is 11am-3pm weekdays). 1. Is there anything else I should be doing? Currently am saving receipts, and notating dialogue and everything that happened with the landlord and the cops dialogue etc.. 2. Also, people are telling me this is going to be an issue for small claims court, but I happen to think this is a far greater issue than just for small claims. Damages and stolen property alone would exceed the $10k limit for small claims court. 3. Should I go to a law clinic and get a pro bono(free) lawyer, or should I look for a contingency lawyer?

    EDIT: Y'all are pretty quick to downvote.

    I understand this subreddit is probably plagued with opportunist POS's trying to sue over spilled milk.

    This is not spilled milk. Y'all aren't me and I can't expect you all to see my side as I could write a book explaining the deliberate evil things these people did to me .... I could write a dissertation on everything that lead up to this and everything that's gonna be included in this lawsuit.

    I just ask you all to have some sympathy for me. I'm not even 21 yet and the people that did this to me and my girlfriend are in their 50's. If you all could give me the benefit of the doubt and give me the same advice you would give to a loved one, I would appreciate it so much and wish that your kindness be repaid a thousandfold. Thank you all for reading.

    submitted by /u/2222222shy
    [link] [comments]

    I got bit by a dog and the police never filed the report

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 11:31 AM PST

    I got bit by a dog walking down the street on my way to work. I filed a police report with a police officer. Got the owners contact info and confirmed that the dog was vaccinated. The person who was walking the dog was not the owner. It was the doorman of the building nearby. The owner of the dog was the owner of the building that the doorman worked at. I went to urgent care where the wound was treated (it broke skin through my jacket) and was put on antibiotics/given a tetanus vaccine. I'm currently uninsured and the total bill of urgent care/prescriptions was ~$350. The owner is no longer responding to me and won't pay the medical bills. I was also an hour and a half late to work.

    When I went to the precinct to receive the copy of the police report, they claimed that the report was never filed. I did not take down a badge number of the officer who was supposed to file a report. The police department is dragging me around from the main precinct in Manhattan to my local one back and fourth, because people keep giving me false information regarding my report number etc.

    This all happened in Brooklyn.

    I want to file a claim in small claims court for loss of wages and the cost of the medical bills. I have all the receipts of my visit to urgent care and text messages with the owner acknowledging the bite. But I don't know what to do at this point. Should I file a claim before I even have a copy of the police report? Am I screwed because the officer messed up and failed to file my report?

    submitted by /u/Z3wpk
    [link] [comments]

    Girl jogging in the dark ran into my car as I was pulling out of a neighborhood...

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 08:57 PM PST

    She was with her dog as well... I asked her if she was ok literally 10 times...

    I tried getting out of the car but the dog started barking at me so I got back in my car.

    I asked her some more if she's ok and she said she was fine so I drove off...

    I'm now being told by friend who's house I was leaving that neighbors have footage of my vehicle and the girls mom got involved and called an ambulance for her to go to the hospital.

    Shit got real, really really fast.

    I don't know if I should

    Move back to my hometown in another state and ditch this vehicle and life here or what.

    I read the statute In my state right now and for a bit and run causing bodily injury it's a class 5 felony at the least... and no matter how many times I asked her if she's ok, if you don't leave your contact info and wait at the scene. It's still considered a hit and run. Am I correct?

    Also, if that's the case then are they going to be coming after me? Tracking license plates, traffic cameras, addresses and coming to get me?

    I'm freaking out as you can see, any solid real advice would be appreciated. I didn't mean for this to happen, I had a friend with me and he even agreed she literally came out of nowhere, no lights or reflective gear on so that didn't help but yeah help🤒

    submitted by /u/japanesemangos
    [link] [comments]

    Child Placement in Divorce

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 07:49 PM PST

    Hello, all,

    My wife and I planning on filing for divorce, and are having issues deciding placement of our kids. She has two children from a previous marriage that she has 50% placement. That placement falls on Monday and Tuesday nights.

    My work schedule allows me to either work M/W nights or T/TH nights, but I cannot work W/TH nights or any other combination. My wife is demanding that we not separate her 2 kids from our 2 kids and wants them on Monday and Tuesday nights. She says no judge would ever separate the siblings.

    I wish I could accommodate that request but doing so eliminates me from teaching any night of the week, which is not possible in my job. My position is that if I have them M/W nights, it would maximize my time with them (I finish by 5pm each night and teach on our home campus 7 min from our house) and would still allow me to teach my obligations on T/TH. In my proposal, they would be with their siblings on Monday night, but not on Tuesday.

    Who is right here? Will a judge value the time the siblings have together more than their dad's time with them? Will a judge consider that if I cannot work at least two of the nights my earnings will be reduced significantly and possibly put my program/student enrollment in jeopardy.

    Any advice or similar experience is most welcome. I am in WI if that matters.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Kaepak
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment