• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 28, 2020

    Legal Advice - Found a human tooth in my lasagna.

    Legal Advice - Found a human tooth in my lasagna.


    Found a human tooth in my lasagna.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 03:35 PM PST

    TLDR: found tooth in lasagna. lasagna company offered $250 dollars to close the case. they didnt really take responsibility for it, but want to end their investigation (in my opinion prematurely)

    I won't be able to name specific companies involved or anything because of an outstanding claim that exists with this specific lasagna company's insurance, but hopefully I can get some advice. We live in Salt Lake City Utah

    A few months ago I was eating some frozen lasagna and chomped down on something hard. Looking back it's actually kind of funny, because I was eating while playing a game and was momentarily too distracted to realize what I had bitten down on. I soon figured out it was a tooth. Pretty fucking grossed out, but nothing bad really happened. I assumed this would just end up being a funny and slightly disturbing story to tell.

    My fiance's mother was really concerned when we told her. She convinced us that it was a matter of public safety, and we should report it somehow. So we filed a claim with the grocer's health department and waited to hear back. They gave us a bit of a run around, transfering us from one 'adjuster' to the next. Eventually they requested we send the tooth to them in the mail for analysis. (I had saved it like a serial killer in the fridge -- warning: tooth).

    So, some time goes by and their representative emails us back confirming that not only was it a human tooth, but somehow a child's tooth? Fucking nasty. My favorite food is ruined forever. Around this time, they had transferred us to people on behalf of the lasagna company and washed their hands of the situation I suppose. The lasagna folks announce to us that they have filed an official insurance claim and that we were to wait for the next steps.

    I guess at this point we were only hoping for some sort of resolution. How did a kid's tooth get in the lasagna? Was there... gulp ... the remains of the rest of the child spread throughout thousands of lasagnas worldwide? Was it some sort of kid sweatshop? My friend's joked that I should sue them or something, but for what? For being grossed out? I had no medical bills or anything. I just wanted to see the results of their investigation, and at the very least get my lasagna purchase reimbursed.

    The last thing we have heard is that they don't know where the tooth came from and that their investigation is essentially over. Their insurance agent offered us $250 dollars and wanted to close the case.

    Personally I was stunned that they offered us money. My fiancee and her mother urged me to not take it. They are worried that the company is just trying to pay us off and sweep the situation under the rug. As far as I know, there will be no recall of products and no further investigation.

    I guess my main question is: do we have a moral obligation to keep pushing the claim until this company takes some sort of actionable responsibility for the incident? It feels like there could be something scummy going on here. I know the WHO takes these things pretty seriously, but nothing like this has ever happened so I'm not really sure what my rights or obligations are.

    thanks for reading, cheers

    submitted by /u/SFW_developer
    [link] [comments]

    My butthole has been a location on Facebook since 2012 and I can't get it removed.

    Posted: 27 Jan 2020 11:16 PM PST

    I wish this was fake but it's not. The first thing you see when you type in my full name on google is "Original Poster's Butthole." This page was created in 2012. I was only 15 at the time. I have reported it a million times, even asked friends to report it. It's humiliating. I tried requesting the name change of the page. Reported it for every option possible. Facebook says it doesn't violate terms. Tried claiming it as my business since at the bottom of the page it claims to be automatically generated off interest of the topic and not affiliated with the business which I don't understand how that happened, and it wouldn't let me claim it. It was never a business. I was a child. I feel so hopeless. Any advice would be appreciated. I promise I'm not trolling and have proof if needed with my name obviously edited out. LOCATION: CALIFORNIA. TLDR/ Facebook automatically generated a page when I was 15 saying my butthole is a business location with a pin close to the home I used to live in and nothing I can do can get it removed.

    submitted by /u/ragdollrae
    [link] [comments]

    Just found out my kid's therapist isn't qualified and possibly engaged in abusive 'therapeutic' tactics. What can I do?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 02:20 PM PST

    Illinois.

    I have a six year old son with Down syndrome. He gets therapies through his school but I also independently hired someone to work with him on occupational therapy tasks that I felt like he could use to work on life skills tasks. The person I hired seemed very nice. Her resume looked good but she said she was a new grad so her references were child care based but she had worked with kids with special needs. She sent me a copy of her degree (now known to be fake) and her references seemed to check out. I had my son in five 60 minute sessions per week. At first he seemed to be happy and initially her reports were very positive. She had 3 other clients besides us and everyone seemed pretty happy with her. We started in September of this year.

    He was out for a week in November because my wife had a baby and when he went back he kept saying "no no no, no [ms B]", but at the time I chalked it up to him not wanting to go because of the change in routine. After sessions he would complain about being tired and her reports weren't as positive. She told us that we needed to work harder with him at home but her "homework" seemed really weird to us. Like she was expecting him to do multi-step things perfectly or go to time out. When I talked to her about that she seemed flustered and said they were just suggestions but if we wanted him to be successful we should follow them. We ended up basically working on one thing at a time with him and no punishment.

    He had 3 weeks off at Christmas and he was even less happy about going back after christmas and in the past few weeks his behavior has really gone downhill at school too.

    When I went to drop him off on Friday I was greeted by one of the other parents who said she was a no show and no one could get ahold of her. She was renting space from a community center and the community center didn't know anything about it. On Friday night I got an email from her saying that she would not be doing therapy anymore and that was it. She told us that she could not offer refunds.

    Shortly after, I was added into a FB group chat of just the parents of the therapy kids. Apparently when their own kids had begun experiencing similar issues one of them started looking into it and found out that she never graduated from the program she said she did and has no actual credentials. Her references were also fake. When that parent contacted her asking for an explanation, she shut the whole thing down. Her kid is older and more verbal than most of the kids, and said that she would make him do the same thing over and over and would yell if he got it wrong, and that she made the little kids cry too. It seems like she was doing some cruel version of ABA therapy.

    I volunteered to be the one to post here to get information on how to proceed legally. Who do we report this to? The police? Are we entitled to our money back? What steps can we take to ensure that this doesn't happen again?

    submitted by /u/Cautious-Personality
    [link] [comments]

    Attempted to take drunk wife home. Arrested for Family violence

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 09:58 AM PST

    My wife and I were at one of her friends house. She got way too drunk and was acting a little inappropriately. It was kind of late and her behavior was getting a little erratic so I told her it was time to go home. She didn't want to go home (she was wasted and having fun) I didn't feel comfortable leaving her at the house alone. At the house we're my wife, her female friend, and two single guys. I didn't trust the guys or necessarily my wife I'm her current state. So I explained to her we were going home and as I was helping her out the house she was falling and having trouble walking. We got to the front door where she fell and I attempted to pick her up when one of the guys grabbed my shoulder and and told me I couldn't take my wife home. We get into a fist fight. Police are called I am the only one arrested as the primary aggressor for trying to leave with my wife? Anyways charges consisted of domestic violence. Do I need a lawyer or can I use a public defender? My wife is currently going through a rehab program (her own choice due to alcohol affecting her and our marriage) I can't really afford it unless I needed to as i am getting ready to move and go back to school for nursing. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/alexali21
    [link] [comments]

    I have had my sister's children for 3 months, and I don't know the best steps to take to protect us all.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 11:36 AM PST

    In Massachusetts if that's helpful.

    In October, my sister was being evicted with no place to go and was going to trek her 5-month-old and 2-year old halfway across the country to meet a strange man who she thought could help her with a place to live. My family explained to her why this was a terrible idea and suggested she go to a family shelter so she could get proper assistance (she's on disability for mental health issues). She refused and was insistent on going with no car , no money and ultimately no real destination with the children. I begged her to let me take the kids so they wouldn't get dragged through that and she let me. I thought she would realize after a few days that she had made a mistake and come back, and take the shelter route.

    She was across the country for 2 months but is now back in the area, still homeless. I have had the children for just over 3 months, and there is no indication that she will be in a position to take them any time soon. There has been no financial support for these children from either parent whatsoever.

    The kids are doing great. The baby is no longer underweight and the toddler is in daycare. They're both getting up to date on all of their medical needs (checkups, vaccines and whatnot). But this has been an incredibly stressful situation. In a perfect world, their parents would straighten up and fly right, and I could confidently give the kids back to their parents. But as of now, there is no protection for the children or myself and my husband.

    I don't know what the smartest steps are to take to protect them and us. I'm afraid calling CPS will just get the children taken away and put in the system, or worse, they will ask the parents to get their kids, and they will end up in a potentially dangerous situation again. I'm afraid of not calling CPS because then there are no systems to protect them at all. I want to make sure the children can stay safely in my home until (hopefully) their parents are in the right place mentally and financially to care for them. If they need to stay with me forever, then so be it, but I wouldn't want reunification with their parents off the table.

    Any suggestions for possible first steps would be incredibly helpful. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/thendanisays
    [link] [comments]

    Can i file a complaint with the EEOC on this? Or try another route?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 05:36 PM PST

    I work at a kroger in indiana.

    I am (or was) a full time associate here at kroger. I am a part of the union here who has been no help in this.

    Ever since i announced to my employer that i am pregnant, the following things have happened:

    1. I lost full time mysteriously

    Every person ive asked on why i was suddenly demoted to part time gives me a different answer. To get full time here, its not just given. Its based on a 10 week average of 36+ hours. They said i dropped below 36 hours but i didn't. I showed them my own proof and when i asked for theirs they refused. ("They" are my HR and store manager).

    Somehow all of a sudden my paystubs show most of my hours are being put into overtime. The thing is, overtime does NOT count towards that average to maintain full time.

    Also due to losing full time, i lost the right to paid maternity leave.

    1. I've been refused bathroom breaks.

    Im pregnant. I'm quite frankly almost pissing myself constantly. I fight daily for my bathroom breaks and somehow nothing is done.

    1. My latest schedule has me well below 36 hours - the minimum requirement

    They expect me to just stay over, but if im not scheduled a certain amount of hours in one day, i dont get a lunch. That's 8 hours where i cant eat and, again, I'm pregnant.

    My union has been no help. They wont return my calls. Store management is no different. I just dont know what to do. Will the EEOC be of help in this?

    Thank you for any advice. I appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/lizzyborourke
    [link] [comments]

    2 years ago ended up in ICU in a German Hospital, never received a bill and now am I being sued?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 01:06 PM PST

    I am an American, live in California that ended up in ICU at German Hospital. I had a serious medical emergency with a lung collapsing. Then in the hospital, I got a bacterial infection from the hospital. After that I wanted to leave, they kept insisting I stay... but the hospital kept making me sicker (bad food, bacterial infections, etc. so I finally left). They kept insisting I stay for an entire month. This was close to three years ago. While I was at work I get this odd call from a lawyer telling me to call her back, with an extension. I brush it off and think it is a scam. Then I check my email and I get an email from this lawyer saying she has been retained by this German Hospital the email says this: My name is _____, and our firm has been retained by ______concerning unpaid medical costs in the sum of EURO 17,661.21. Please contact me immediately at ___________ or via email at ________________if you are willing to resolve this debt.

    I don't understand why the hospital never gave me a bill, never mailed me a bill, never told me about a bill (I had travel insurance at the time, and I have medical insurance) did not bill my insurance and now it goes straight to a lawyer being retained--- does this mean I am being sued? Any advice on what I should do about this? I have not responded to the lawyer yet.

    submitted by /u/Gymbeastshorty
    [link] [comments]

    I may have been a victim of a blatant HIPAA violation (x-post from /r/HIPAA)

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 11:17 AM PST

    Yesterday I was hospitalized for surgery. Post-procedure, a friend asked (via group text) if I had been hospitalized.

    On a side note, my girlfriend had taken a picture of me in the hospital bed. At first I assumed she sent this picture to my friend and this prompted him to inquire. This group chat only contains close friends of mine, and I had no problem going into details of the procedure. Previous to the surgery I had only told 1 of these friends about the procedure and he claims to have forgotten about it.

    Today, the friend who had inquired about my hospitalization asked me "do you know who did your imaging yesterday". I was confused. I asked what he meant. Apparently an ex-girlfriend of mine was involved in my imaging. She's the one who notified my friend about my medical visit.

    I have not had any contact with this girl for many years. I don't think I gave the hospital any permission to share any of my medical information with anyone outside of my immediate family (mom, dad, sis, gf).

    I am upset that this happened. I am concerned because I believe nobody with this type judgement should be involved in the medical community. I don't want to ruin this girl's life but this seems like a blatant HIPAA violation.

    State is MA if that changes anything.

    Can anyone confirm/deny if this was a violation of my privacy? Should I report this? What will be the consequences? What kind of process will I be involved in?

    EDIT: My ex-girlfriend and I had a brief relationship. We never had legal involvement (health care proxies, emergency contacts, shared living spaces, etc.).

    submitted by /u/throwaway-hipaa
    [link] [comments]

    Can you still institutionalize your child if your your separated partner does not agree? Pennsylvania

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 03:20 PM PST

    I have a brother that is 12 and autistic. My father recently separated 9 months ago with his long term girlfriend. This is their child.

    My brother has gotten worse from the result of the separation and has become suicidal and extremely homicidal to the point of chasing people With knives. My father agrees when I suggested we put him in an inpatient facility so that they can medicate him and get him stable, but he says he can't since the mother is completely against putting him in inpatient care.

    I do not believe him but maybe you guys could answer I can't find anything online for this. Thanks.

    We are in Pennsylvania btw

    submitted by /u/pachild234
    [link] [comments]

    My father with Alzheimer's stole something from a hospital and they are trying to charge me with theftbjjst for driving him.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 06:02 PM PST

    Last Summer my dad's Alzheimer's started getting very bad and I became his caretaker. I would take him to all his appointment's as he would get lost or forget what he was doing very easily. His Alzheimer's begin to get very bad to the point where he started stealing things impulsively. He was caught a couple of times and was unable to assist in his own defense and is now in a hospital getting treated.

    Sometime last April I took him to a appointment at the hospital and apparently he stole a uniform at some point while we were there. I did not notice him having this when we met back up and got back in the car and went home never the wiser that he had stolen anything. Cut to December 2019 I have an interaction with the police where there is a warrant for my arrest that I have never heard of. I never received a citation or a court date from the hospital and I have no idea how they identified me. I am very mad that they never served me with a court date. I am given a new court date and told to stay away from the hospital. My lawyer has hired a private investigator and finally told me what the hospital is alleging I did. Apparently they have me on film driving dad and walking him around and somehow that makes me copable for a uniform he stole that I never saw or touched. Is my thinking that this is ridiculous and I should fight it all the way. The lawyer I have seems confident he can get rid of my theft charge for my dad stealing something without my knowledge.

    Is this a common situation? Someone stealing something that you didn't see or know about but charging everyone there? I am very confused. Edit: State is Oregon Theft 2 charge.

    submitted by /u/FrostySumo
    [link] [comments]

    My apartment complex says that they’re going to conduct DNA tests of dog poop at owner’s expense

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 03:13 PM PST

    My apartment complex (apparently) has a problem with people not picking up their dog's poop. I see it occasionally, but not much compared to the number of dogs who live here. I always pick up my dog's poop. Also, my dog weighs 18 pounds and the dog poop I usually see clearly came from a big dog.

    They've sent out several e-mails warning us that if the problem persists, they're going to take DNA of all the dogs to keep on file— at our expense— so they can compare it with poop left behind and charge the owners. We have checked the lease and there is nothing about DNA testing, just owners being liable for failing to pick it up.

    I think this is ridiculous, and I especially am opposed because it's so clearly not my dog. Do I have any ground to challenge this?

    submitted by /u/sugarandmermaids
    [link] [comments]

    "Landlord" telling me to leave tonight. I feel broken &I don't know what to do

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 11:13 AM PST

    I have been living with my significant other in a in-law apartment attached to his parents house. We never had a written agreement of any sort in regards to rent etc. I have not received mail here,I have a po box. He has recently become abusive(including 1 rape) so my yelling has been noticed by them. He has told them things about me that aren't true. His mother came on our side today and told me to find somewhere else to be tonight, I can't& I never had a key it's always been a key pad,I have all my things here. She said she is going to the sheriff's, I thought they only got involved after court? I really will be gone in two weeks max so I'm not sure what I should do since they want me out tonight. I have PTSD so a shelter isn't a real option for me & the motels closest are not filled with the best people. If someone could give me maybe a minimum of time I should expect that would really help.

    submitted by /u/PeopleNotPossessions
    [link] [comments]

    Ambulance took me to the wrong ER a week ago. Found out today they don't take my insurance. What do I even do now?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 05:38 PM PST

    So I ended up going to the ER. (Ohio) My fiance called for an ambulance, for severe pain that was causing me to pass out. Police showed up first, got all the info while I was in and out. My fiance is a saint and had everything they needed wrote down. Including my social. That officer has confirmed to me that my and his request were for hospital A. As I am severe autoimmune and they have a ward for people like me. It's really nice and helps alot.

    Ambulance shows up. All of them get info from the cop, my fiance, and me. I pass out and wake up in a random hospital. A dude is being arrested, and pissing everywhere, my fiance is at hospital A for a 35 minutes while waiting for me. I have no phone. I'm in and out of consciousness and begging for him. The nurse says she needs to find my file and I need to sign a digital thing for it. I do, and pass out again. Next thing I know I'm being hailed back for tests and I know I didn't sign for them. My fiance has just showed up. That one man is still screaming.

    It was a shit show at the very least. I'm just now at the point of being able to stay awake enough to be alert. I got a call from billing letting me know they don't take my insurance. After the nurse told my fiance they did. I am super sick now and have a doctor's appointment (I caught a bug going around because no one was wearing a face mask, or who knows. I got denied a face mask when I asked for one.)

    I really don't know what to do here. Several other things from the ambulance report is off too. They tried to start an IV far away from a major vein. (Inch and a half, the nurse at the hospital fixed it and measured it.) They also said I am Mormon. I'm Buddhist. Miscarriage, never been pregnant. This is all just such a mess. I'm sorry if I am rambling. These pain meds are strong and it's hard to focus. I just really need help, and possible ways to prevent this in the future. Thank you to anyone reading.

    submitted by /u/Keiracat1337
    [link] [comments]

    My school won’t give me (or my classmates) our diplomas.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 05:25 AM PST

    I live in New Brunswick, Canada, and the title pretty much says it all. When we (my classmates and i) signed up for the program, the website said we would get a diploma at the end of the program, and our letter of offer said we would as well. The website has since been changed, but by using the wayback machine we have found archives of the website saying diploma up until 5 months before graduation. Upon completion of the program we found out that we instead got a certificate. The school insists that our program doesn't qualify for a diploma, and will not give us our diploma. Most of us have stated that we wouldn't have signed up for the program had we known that it wasn't a diploma program.

    submitted by /u/lilgassyrapper
    [link] [comments]

    My boss wants me to work an additional 48 hours every week for the same pay

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 12:36 PM PST

    Hey y'all,

    Started a new job a month again. Learned recently that I'm an exempt employee so no overtime. My boss has told me I am on call 6-10 weekdays and 8-10 on weeekends.

    This isn't worth $39k a year, what are my options? Do I just leave or isn't this illegal?

    submitted by /u/572xl
    [link] [comments]

    My bank submitted incorrect information to the DMV. Now my car is being flagged as having the odometer rolled back.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 11:20 AM PST

    Edit: I went to the bank in person today and explained the situation to them. They are taking care if it and I should have a new title issued in 3-5 weeks. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I was kind of freaking out but I feel much better about things now. Cheers! 🍻

    Hello all,

    One year ago I financed a used car through my credit union. Since it was financed they held on to the title and submitted all the documents to the DMV. When I purchased the car it had 41k and my bank listed the mileage at 56k on the title. Fast forward to year later and I've decided to sell the car (for a profit) and I had a potential buyer run a car fax and they alerted me to the odometer roll back warning. The carfax shows it was adjusted in Feb 2019 which is when I purchased the car.

    I called my bank yesterday to see if they could correct it and they pretty much said too bad you signed a contract. And that they can't help me.

    I still have the carfax that my credit union ran before I bought it and it doesn't say anything about the odometer discrepancies. I fact I doubt they would even finance a car with such red flags. They also sent me a KBB estimate with the carfax and I noticed that the KBB estimated the mileage to be 56k, when they don't know they exact mileage KBB will show the the average for that year/make/model so I'm guessing that's where they got that number.

    I'm leaving work early today to go in person and try to get this figured out. I have all my original documents and email communications with the loan manager. I am certain that is the banks fault and I just want them to make it right because they have tanked the value of my car, and it will be very challenging to sell. I hope it doesn't come to it but I am willing to pursue legal action if necessary.

    If anyone has advice on how to proceed please let me know.

    TDLR: my bank submitted vehicle title with incorrect mileage and won't fix it. Now my car is flagged as having the odometer rolled back which has greatly reduced the value.

    Edit: Oregon. This is taking place in Oregon.

    submitted by /u/nug_life
    [link] [comments]

    My current roomate renewed our lease without the knowledge/consent of myself and our fellow housemate. Now, he will not let me, nor my housemate sign the lease unless we agree to his unfair price point.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 05:58 PM PST

    Title explains it. This is kind of a long story, so buckle up. (Tl;dr at the end)

    . . .

    For reference, I live in California

    . . .

    For more context, we live in a two bedroom, one bath apartment extremely close to our college campus. There are currently two people living in each room (for a total of 4 of us), but my current roommate (I'll call him Richard) wanted his own room next year. Thus, we approached one of our housemates and convinced him to move out so that Richard would get his own room.

    The two rooms are nearly identical in size, with the larger one (that my Richard and I are currently staying in), being only ~20 square feet larger. We currently pay $1600 a month, divided equally by 4 for a total of $400 a month each. Thus, each room technically pays half the rent, even though one is slightly smaller. But, next year rent is going up to $1700.

    Before we even approached one of our housemates to move out, I told Richard I didn't want rent to go up a lot for me, and that it would probably be fair to keep it similar to our current situation, with him paying more since he was getting a private room. He assured me it wouldn't be a problem, so when it came time to renew the lease, I offered a new split that took into account the smaller room size. I proposed that the larger room (which myself and my other housemate would live in next year) pay $900 (divided by the two of us, so $450 each), while the smaller room (where Richard would stay) would pay $800.

    Nearly everyone I have consulted, including my current housemates and even my landlord, has said that what I am offering Richard is a fair deal. Yet, he tried to demand that we split the rooms $1050/$650, meaning my housemate and I would have to pay $525 each.

    I know that an extra $75/month might not seem like a lot to some people, but to me and my housemate (who I'll refer to as John from now on), it is. We've argued back and forth but have not made any progress on the situation in the past week.

    Today, as I was going about my day, I had an odd feeling creep up on me regarding the situation, so I texted my landlord, and asked if the three of us could come in Friday to renew the lease (hoping to use the deadline to expedite a compromise). My landlord (Who i'll call LL from now on) replied, saying it wasn't a problem, but informed us that Richard had already renewed and signed the lease last week. Flabbergasted, I called up John and explained the situation to him. Thus we went into LL's office and asked to join on the lease as well.

    This is where things got complicated. He couldn't find the new lease at first so he had to call Richard, who didn't pick up. He was about to give up when he found it in another file. LL pulled out the lease and was prepared to give it to us to sign it when Richard called back. LL explained why he called, and when he told Richard we were about to sign the lease, Richard asked if we needed his consent since his name was the only one on the lease. LL hesitated, but said yes, since he was technically the only one on the lease. Richard then demanded to not let us sign until he was present.

    So, we waited until Richard came back, and told LL that we would hash it out and get back to him. To make an already long story shorter, Richard stated that unless we agreed to his price point, he would not allow us to sign the lease, effectively kicking us out of our own apartment.

    Is there anything I can do in this situation? I found the place originally, and I'm pretty sure that my name is at the top of the current lease, so is he even allowed to sign it without everyone present?

    . . .

    tl;dr: my roommate is a real Richard and is trying to kick me and my housemate out of our own apartment because he renewed the lease behind our backs, and we refused to agree to his price point.

    . . .

    Edit: formatting & location

    submitted by /u/Justin_time__
    [link] [comments]

    Unsolicited school pictures sent home via kid's backpack. Can I legally keep them without owing payment in SC?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 06:13 AM PST

    So my kids' new school apparently does a thing where a portrait company sends a packet of portraits home with your kids in their backpack with instructions to return what you don't want and they'll bill you for whatever they don't get back. I'm pretty sure this is illegal in most states.

    The other day I saw a thread somewhere that got into this exact topic (which of course I can't find now), and it was mentioned that in a number of states users just kept them and instead of payment sent an email referring to the relevant state code. SC wasn't mentioned, though.

    I found SC Code Section 39-1-50 which addresses unsolicited merchandise sent on purpose via mail, but I'm not sure if that applies when the delivery method is via my kid's backpack. It seems pretty clear that the intent of the law is to say to shady business owners "don't send people unsolicited products and then expect them to pay," but I'm not sure the letter of the law in SC covers this exact situation. I think most states have similar laws—my googling turned up a bunch of other states' codes which are written without regard to delivery method).

    This FTC page similarly mentions unsolicited merchandise sent to you on purpose, but also specifies "by mail."

    Can I keep the photos and ignore their requests for payment?

    submitted by /u/pleasedothenerdful
    [link] [comments]

    I closed my computer repair business. A single computer was never returned to the customer. Now they want reparations.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 03:45 PM PST

    A customer dropped off their computer on March 15, 2019. I had them fill out a simple drop-off form stating that the computer "won't turn on".

    I called and left a voicemail explaining my findings with no response. I sent an email March 21, 2019 explaining my findings and detailed some options including the cost of what the repair would be.

    Then on March 28, 2019, after no response, I sent individual Facebook messages to both the customer and her 17 year old son.

    Due to life circumstances in the beginning of May, we decided we needed to close the business and move out of the state. On May 17, 2019, we posted on our business Facebook page and put a sign up stating that we would be closing on June 08, 2019. At this point, I called and left another voicemail with the customer stating that I would be closing and they needed to come pick up the machine. At this point, I haven't had any response from them. I knew which parts in her machine were faulty, so I recycled the parts that were faulty and kept everything else in storage when I moved.

    I finally received a voicemail on July 29, 2019 in which she sounded very angry with me. I tried to return the call, but got no pickup. I left a voicemail and immediately sent an email about the situation.

    In October, my email plan expired and I did not renew. I did not receive any emails from the customer before that point.

    The customer finally contacted me in December and was very very angry. I explained that I had recycled the faulty parts and would be happy to ship the parts I had, including the data I had preserved. They said the problem was not urgent and they would contact me in January.

    This brings us to January 27, 2020. She texted me explaining that she believes I had illegally stolen her computer and that she would give me until March 1, 2020 to return her computer in working condition or else they would settle for $1000. If neither of those options come through, she claims she will report me to law enforcement.

    What in the heck kind of case does she have against me?

    submitted by /u/unisasquatch
    [link] [comments]

    My friend has been working 10-12 hour shifts, 7 days a week, for a month straight, and his managers ignore his requests for time off.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 08:13 PM PST

    My friend works as a server at a restaurant. It's already not a great environment. His managers can be pretty volatile, and he's been screamed at on several occasions. The entire staff is overwhelmed lately, and the managers don't seem to care; one person was yelled at until she cried, then reprimanded for crying. Anyway, this past month, they've been scheduling him for more and more shifts and giving him more and more hats to wear. He typically works 5 pm - 2 am, but is often there much later doing additional tasks. He's understandably burned out. But when he asks his managers for time off, they either don't take him seriously or blow off his request entirely. He's thinking of just calling in sick, but is afraid he'll be fired for doing so.

    So my question is, can his employer legally require him to work these kind of hours without any time off? And can they fire him for taking time off?

    /edit: this is in Maryland

    submitted by /u/Im_alwaystired
    [link] [comments]

    May or may not have inherited an automatic gun. I am in FL, possible gun is in PA.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 11:21 AM PST

    My elderly uncle passed away and I am going to PA to take care of his burial and belongings. No other family. Uncle was destitute, lived alone in rural PA in a camping trailer on some land I rented for him. His neighbor, who I rent the land from, has secured the trailer and is keeping an eye on the place until I get there. I will be going there Thursday to clean out the trailer.

    My issue - In the 80s my uncle had automatic rifles. These would have been purchased decades ago when they were legal, but when the law changed I am not certain that my uncle would have completed any paperwork. I do not know for certain that my uncle still had them, but I will not be surprised if I find something.

    How can I approach this situation without exposing myself to anything illegal? I am familiar with rifles but not sure how I would even identify an automatic...unless its something obvious (selector says auto or something). I am assuming that walking into the local gun store with a gun that may be illegal to ask their opinion is not a good option.

    Ideally if I find an automatic weapon, I would like to determine if it was properly registered or somehow still able to be grandfathered in under these circumstances. If it's illegal, then I would immediately turn it over to the proper authorities. In that scenario I am guessing that calling the local police to let them know I have an automatic weapon in my possession is also not a good option.

    Is this something that a lawyer could help guide me through, and if so what type of lawyer?

    ��0 *�H��

    submitted by /u/Just4GunQuestion
    [link] [comments]

    University forgot to charge for housing last semester, and is trying to charge double this semester.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 05:31 AM PST

    This is actually happening to someone close to me, not myself.

    The university never charged their housing last semester, which meant financial aid covered everything.

    This semester, they suddenly added the housing charge as an unpaid bill, and gave about two weeks notice to come up with the money or have all their classes dropped.

    This person has no family to fall back on, and can't find a co-signer for a loan... is there ANYTHING that could be done? I'm just at a complete dead end and don't know how to help.

    submitted by /u/cositri
    [link] [comments]

    [WA] Roofers cut into our siding, provide patch work to 'fix' it, did poor job on the roof they installed, recourse?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 10:26 AM PST

    TL;DR - Putting this at the top because post ended up being long. Roofers did a god awful job on the roof they installed according to an inspection done by another roofer and pictures sent to other roofers. Roofers damaged our siding, ~9k in damage, and are offering patch work and paint to fix it. Laundry list of other problems. We paid half up front, withholding second half until it gets resolved to our satisfaction. We've consulted roofers and siders. All agree this is not what should have happened. Called their bond holder, insurance company, complained to L&I and BBB.

    Title says the bulk of it, but there's so much more. Wife and I own an old home, wanted to have the roof redone this year before our second child is born and originally scheduled to have it done in September. Because of the style of roof (metal, this is important) it was delayed due to shortages of the material from the suppliers/manufacturers. Before settling on the contractor, we had a number of quotes done and checked her company out what we thought was thoroughly, but apparently not thoroughly enough.

    Fast forward to this month, middle of winter, they finally have the parts and we're ready to get rolling. So they schedule a day, and we (foolishly, we know this now anyway) give her half of the cost up front for the roof. Contracts signed, everyones ready to go, so we get going last week (1/20). Immediately there are problems. We have (had, now) a chimney that we wanted to talk to the guy in charge of the project about taking down. No one looks at it, and they just knock it down, and then scramble for how to proceed going forward, literally leaving it in our hands to find the parts they will need to install and then also find information on proper installation. They claim they have no expertise in this part of the project.

    The next day (day 2), they have finished tearing off the old roof and putting down the under lament and are starting to put on the panels. In order to get the panels installed in certain parts of teh house, they cut into our aluminum siding, and they do what I would consider a piss poor job by my standards, but for a paid contractor it was horrendous. The lines they cut were hand-drawn, hand cut, and more than likely with the wrong tool. It was a jagged mess on either side of the house, as well as along the back wall along the entire length. It just looked....awful. On top of that, they made no attempt to hide their work, and put screws through our metal siding to hold the siding down, in again, a piss poor fashion. We immediately were told to have them halt work when we realized there was a problem, and I asked the person in charge to meet me in the morning so we could talk about his guys work.

    Upon his arrival the following day, I addressed (and have the conversation recorded thanks to security cameras) the work. He was very non-responsive and downplayed it, saying it was only a problem because it was our house, and we look at our house differently. I asked him if what they had done was intended to be the final product, and he didn't' answer me. I later asked him again the same question, and he said to me "well we can install something called a J-channel." Okay, why didn't you just do that from the beginning? It was clear to me he had no intention of doing it, and was only talking to me about it now because I brought up the quality of work. We later called the woman who owns the company and she assured us that "He always planned to put the piece on" but for some reason had to come back AFTER all of the conversations with him/her and ask us what color we wanted so he could order the part.

    We realized we had a huge problem on our hands and asked them to halt work completely until the problems were resolved, but they didn't. They 'finished' the roof last Thursday, but the project isn't 'complete' because of the work still needing to be done to the siding to at least make it look acceptable. They called a siding guy out and they patched it up and did what they could to hide the damage, but it just looks like shit.

    Please take in mind, this is a short explanation for all of the defects we identified, pictures send a better message, I can provide these upon request.

    After all of this, we called a siding guy to get an estimate for repair or replacement of the siding, total costs ~$9k. We then called a number of roofers, sent them the pictures of the work, and they, without hesitation, expressed concerns about the workmanship and whether or not certain aspects were up to code. We then had another roofer come out and do an inspection, and he identified a laundry list of things that were done incorrectly and not up to code that he says will not be fixable due to the nature of metal roofs. His opinion was that it would have to be done from the ground up due to the use of sub-standard under lament, which will compromise the roof in a short time. He also identified a few points on the roof, specifically in the valleys, where the roof will inevitably leak.

    As of now, we have contacted her demanding our money to be returned. She replied today with a demand for the last half owed to her. We have no intention of paying this as of now. We have contacted her insurance, her bond holder, WA L&I, and the BBB. We have filed complaints with the latter two.

    What else should we do here? What are we missing? What should our next step be? We were going to reply to her and ask her to at the very least replace the siding her crew essentially destroyed, at least as a sign of good faith.

    We're going to get a lawyer, I think that much is clear at this point, but we want to make sure there's nothing we're missing so we can avoid a prolonged legal struggle and get this sorted as quickly and cheaply as possible.

    submitted by /u/swakhammer86
    [link] [comments]

    Paid for 40 hours, don't always work 40 hours

    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 06:21 AM PST

    I'm not on salary, but my boss almost always makes our work week 40 hours on the time sheet. He lets us go early and changes our time sheet to say we worked 8 hours. I'm not complaining, but I want to know if my butt is on the line for this.

    New Hampshire, USA

    submitted by /u/mrmortem13
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment