• Breaking News

    Friday, June 12, 2020

    Legal Advice - [Fort Thomas, KY] Did a property survey and explained my plans to my neighbor about installing a privacy fence. May be getting into a property line dispute. What are the laws surrounding easements I need to worry about (if any) and what are my rights regarding trees bordering our properties?

    Legal Advice - [Fort Thomas, KY] Did a property survey and explained my plans to my neighbor about installing a privacy fence. May be getting into a property line dispute. What are the laws surrounding easements I need to worry about (if any) and what are my rights regarding trees bordering our properties?


    [Fort Thomas, KY] Did a property survey and explained my plans to my neighbor about installing a privacy fence. May be getting into a property line dispute. What are the laws surrounding easements I need to worry about (if any) and what are my rights regarding trees bordering our properties?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    I purchased a home in Fort Thomas, KY (located in Campbell County) last year and this summer we plan to install a privacy fence surrounding our property (I checked and privacy fences are permitted by our local laws). The previous owners had a fence, but the rear portion did not extend across the very back of the property and instead stopped some 20-30 feet away.

    We had a property survey done to determine where the back property line was (since the old fence didn't run along it) and learned that our property extends back farther than we originally thought. The neighbors behind us, who have lived in their home for about six years, were surprised as well, and are now raising concerns about our plans to install the new fence.

    There are two specific concerns that the neighbor has raised.

    • Our property line sits four feet from their concrete driveway. When discussing the matter with our neighbor he brought up something which he termed "easement to an existing structure" (a term I'd never heard) and claimed that since his driveway is a structure which existed prior to my plan to install this fence, there are laws/ordinances pertaining to the distance any structure I build must be from his existing structure. I couldn't find much online about this term, but it's possible I don't have the right legal vocabulary to search properly. When it comes to property lines, is there an easement I need to be concerned about and, if so, what? I checked my Warranty Deed and it states "The subject property is subject to easements, covenants, conditions, and restrictions of record and/or in existence." How do I determine what these might be?

    • Along the whole back portion of my property, including along the property line, is much foliage. In particular along the property line, there is a lot of overgrown honeysuckle and other smallish trees that kind of form a green privacy barrier of sorts between us. In order to install the new fence, much of this foliage needs to be cleared. My question is about what I am allowed to clear. I've heard that if a tree is on my neighbor's side but branches of it extend over to my side, I am allowed to trim those branches back. Is that true? And what about trees that sit directly on the property line? Who is allowed to do what with them? I really don't want to remove something I'm not legally allowed to and have my neighbor get more upset.

    When Monday rolls around I plan to engage the local government in some way to learn more, but in the meantime I thought I'd get a head start and see if anyone here knows anything or has had similar experiences. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Iswitt
    [link] [comments]

    A brother coming to you for advice. My sister is in a physically abusive relationship and has asked me for help on what she should do but I am lost. He has planted secret cameras around the house, hooked up bluetooth devices to her phones so he can listen in on her, and physically abuses her.

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 02:45 PM PDT

    She is in a relationship with someone who grabs, chokes, slaps, and slams her into walls. Growing up with her I can tell you she is the most timid and kind person in the world. She was always shy and quite. She has been enduring this for years without telling anyone but I saw bruises on her side when she reached to get something out of a cupboard and asked her what happened and she started crying and wouldn't talk to me about it. Finally she told me about all the abuse she has been getting when we were away from the house alone.

    She is broke. She has no money and his family has money and connections in the town. She is afraid that even if she did try to get a divorce the she would be going up against someone who has a good lawyer and she would be left to defend herself.

    Details:

    1. She found installed a smart camera wall outlet wifi device.
    2. He has complete control over her phone and he connects Bluetooth devices or somehow is able to listen to her calls because she said he has mentioned things that she talked about away from him on the phone and she heard herself come over a speaker in their house one time.
    3. He started asking her a year ago to get life insurance. What the fuck? She said that he has been asking her nonstop every couple of weeks saying they need to get life insurance.
    4. He has their home computer encrypted so only he can log into it.
    5. He installed something behind the drywall in their house. I know it sounds crazy but she showed me the wall outlet cameras so I know she is not exaggerating.
    6. He is openly admitting that he cheats on her.
    7. They live in Illinois where I thought it was illegal to record someone else?
    8. They have a son that is 1.
    9. The abuse really kicked up when he lost his job due to covid and he is at home all the time now.
    10. They have one vehicle.
    11. They are both signed on the vehicle and home mortgage.
    12. She pays all of the house payments.
    13. For some reason he bought smart wifi light bulbs but didn't install them anywhere that she found. Does anyone know what they could be used for? maybe for their connectivity and as switches?
    14. She is working part time and all that money goes towards paying for the mortgage.
    15. Out parents have passed and no one has much money on our side of the family to help her.

    Why questions for you:

    1. What does a woman with no money do to get a divorce?
    2. These devices have to be illegal right? Is that okay in your own home? She had no knowledge of them.
    3. Does she call the cops next time he hurts her?
    4. Does she get a restraining order?
    5. What can she do?

    She is always welcome to stay with me. She has a couple hundred dollars. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Throwaway_7773
    [link] [comments]

    I’m a server. Management has now told us 50% of our tips must be given to back of house. Back of house doesn’t ever talk to a single customer.

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    I work at a restaurant. This is my 5th year of being there.

    From the start we have always had to give a percentage of our tips to back of house, which we've dealt with for years. It was never more than about 30%. Recently, management sent out an email with a "new tip distribution" stating that we will now have to give 50% of our tip pool to back of house. With this new tip pool, a sushi chef (who never deals with a single customer) will earn more tips than our busser/server assistants, who deal with customers regularly.

    These are tips that we have earned. We are not allowed to work full time hours because we normally rely on tips as our main source of income. If we work more hours they would have to give us healthcare benefits. Back of house is allowed to work full time hours. So if you take half of our income and give it to back of house (when they haven't done any front of house customer service work), how are we supposed to make money when we already don't have enough hours? Back of house already makes more than us in wage.

    We are trapped in a loop that isn't fair. I'm in the process of transitioning out of here cause we have been mistreated for a long time. Our manager continuously tries to fight for us but upper management and ownership never listens to her. We have emailed the owners and were told that is the new tip distribution no matter what.

    From my research I have found that in the state of California, due to a recent amendment, it is legal to require front of house to tip out back of house, in an amount that is fair and reasonable, according to how much interaction in the chain of service each worker has. The 50% cut that is happening now isn't reasonable. I can't seem to find any legal information that exactly states how much is fair.

    I'm lucky enough to have another job to rely on. But a lot of my coworkers rely on this place for their only source of income as of now. Any advice on what we can do in this situation? We are thinking of calling the labor board. Thanks!

    EDIT: my source of contention is not with tipping out BOH. We have always done that up to 30% previously and were ok with it. With this new distribution a chef who never directly interacts with a customer will be earning more in tips than my bussers, who also act as server assistants and deal with customers the entire shift. I'm mainly fighting for them, because their entire income got slashed by half and given to the chefs who already make more than them in wage.

    The CA restaurant association website states "an employee who has greater contact with the customer should receive a greater percentage of the tip pool than employees who have less direct interaction with the patron. If a tip pool is instituted, please make sure the tip pool is distributed to participating employees in a reasonable manner, proportionate with the employees' direct interaction with the customers."

    This requirement is not being met.

    submitted by /u/elsaleasing
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate stole identity and left scathing reviews on Yelp and Google Maps. I’m banned from my fav restaurant

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 05:04 PM PDT

    Ex roommate* She did so in my name and from my phone. One of my coworkers said I am going to get the axe soon because of my online behavior. I'm not worried but I'm very close to spending a huge bill on a lawyer that will worry about it. What am I missing

    submitted by /u/calbnayar
    [link] [comments]

    Is my neighbor committing mail fraud by returning my mail without my consent?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 07:09 AM PDT

    Throwaway out of fear of retaliation, Maryland resident. This is a complex situation so bear with me, TLDR at bottom.

    My boyfriend and I rent an in-law apartment above a garage that is in the backyard of my landlords house. He signed the lease alone before we met, I held on to my lease in another city but when I got a job close to his apartment, we basically started living together. The super chill landlord amended the lease to acknowledge that I reside here and raised the rent $50 a month without making me sign the lease.

    The problem is that the super chill landlord is married to a decidedly unchill woman. I will not go into detail about some of the things she's done, but it's very clear that her actions are malicious and deliberate.

    She took our landlord to court and had him removed from the home. She wanted both of us to sign a new lease with her, but my boyfriend refused to be her tenant. We checked the court order and confirmed with landlord and landlords lawyer that despite his absence, he is still the owner of the property, so boyfriend signed a new lease with him. After my other lease ended, I signed the lease here so I am now a legal resident here. Just to give you a sense of this woman, after she found out that he had signed a lease with landlord and not her, she turned our hot water heater down which was behind a locked door that we didn't have the key to, and wouldn't fix it until the landlord told her that she was interfering with our tenants rights.

    We have no legal obligation to his wife. However, we share certain county amenities, such as garbage cans and a mailbox. My shipping address for deliveries has been [boyfriend FN - my initials - boyfriend LN] to ensure she wouldn't mess with my mail before I was on the lease. She has previously held onto our mail or packages without letting us know that they're here and/or left them outside in the rain to be destroyed.

    A few weeks ago, I noticed that an order I had made for clothes had been refunded because it had been returned to sender due to address issues. I wrote it off as a one off USPS mistake and didn't follow up or reorder because it wasn't an essential purchase. I bought new glasses, I have awful eyesight, that wouldn't interfere with my mask as my job is starting to open up. As far as I knew, they were scheduled to be delivered today. Apparently, they were delivered on Wednesday to the mailbox and returned to sender on Thursday. I saw her both Wednesday and Thursday and she said nothing to me.

    I have other medical devices being shipped, and have not received any mail here other than my official change of address, which was pulp because the rain destroyed it, because she took it out of the mailbox and left it in the rain on her porch. I am confident she is doing this intentionally to me.

    Is this a crime? What should I do? How can I protect my mail if it gets put in a shared mailbox that she gets ring alerts to and we don't? Help please.

    TLDR; Share mailbox with Landlord's estranged wife, she is returning my mail without my consent or alerting me of its arrival. Want to know what my legal rights are.

    submitted by /u/anon_banana_bonbon
    [link] [comments]

    Hit by a speeding wrong-way driver in my own driveway - insurance holding me 70% responsible

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    I got into a car accident earlier this month pulling out of my driveway (not backing out). I got hit while almost stationary by a car speeding on the wrong side of the street (driver was on cell phone). There was a witness to all of this whom the insurance company interviewed (albeit with much prodding). Notwithstanding, the insurance is holding me at 70% fault, saying it was my responsibility to check both ways even though the other driver was so clearly on the wrong side of the road (and I checked both ways 3x and honked 2x bc of how bad the visibility is on this street with cars parked and crammed like sardines. The insurance company's people said that they're not accepting less fault bc they can't prove that the other driver was speeding and are claiming (somewhat outrageously) that since there's no painted line down this residential street, it's not a 2-way street - though a simple Google maps search shows how obviously this isn't the case - esp with cars parked on either side of the street, but facing opposite directions . The police were called but flat out refused to respond or take a report, citing "high tactical alert". This was in Los Angeles. (Bad drivers and bonehead cops. Who knew, right?)

    Now to the meat of the matter:

    My insurance company's people, said that if they receive evidence of speeding they'll consider it. To that end, a few questions:

    1. Is it worth the time and hassle to attempt to prove the other driver's speeding? How much will proving the other driver's speeding help me in terms of liability? How much will this "improvement" save me in insurance premiums? If the liability decisions remains unchanged, for how long approximately will it influence my insurance premiums?

    1. This is a physics question. My car was pointed to the right at about a fifteen degree angle clockwise (1230 o'clock). The accident (also coming the right) rotated my car thirty degrees making it face counter clockwise at fifteen degrees (1130 o'clock approximately). I know the weight of my car which means I can calculate how much force would be required to rotate it 30 degrees counterclockwise while positioned at 15 degrees clockwise. I also know the weight of the other driver's car. If I divide the necessary force by the weight of the other driver's car, I should get the velocity of the vehicle that hit me (bc momentum=mass*velocity). Problem is, it's been a while since physics class and idr offhand how to do these calculations, nor how to factor in degrees and radians as they pertain to the specific site and angle of impact. If any of you know how to do this, that would be extremely helpful.

    Please lmk.

    Thank you.

    Note: I edited this post to make it clear that I was pulling out head first, not backing out.

    submitted by /u/thepuckhasdropped
    [link] [comments]

    SC - Recently bought a house and the Seller lied about age and condition of HVAC system in disclosures

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    The seller's disclosures stated the HVAC system was 3 years old. We've been having trouble with it and had a tech out yesterday and he said the unit was 20 years old, the coil was 16 years old and the furnace was 25 years old.

    Is there a way we can make the seller pay for a new unit? Should we take them to small claims? I know the small claims limit in South Carolina is $7500.

    The HVAC tech said the cost of repairs is much more than the old unit is worth, effectively totaling it.

    There have been a ton of other minor undisclosed issues with the house but this is the first pricey one. We unfortunately do not have the quoted $7,000 to install an entirely new system.

    submitted by /u/the_ultimate_splorg
    [link] [comments]

    Parents want to take my scholarship money

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    I posted the other day that my parents wanted to take out some sort of "loan" in their name for me.

    Well my high school called me today and it turns out they completely lied to me. It wasn't a loan, but rather a scholarship of $1000 for me. It is from an outside organization and not affiliated with my college. My parents lied to me that it was a loan in their name so that it would look like they would be liable for the money.

    Anyways, the check is to be mailed to my mom's house (who is not allowed near me and my brother because she was arrested for child abuse). My dad spoke to me and said that she was going to use this money for herself as "repayment" for her raising me and my brother.

    That scholarship is meant to go to me for my college education so isn't it fraud for my mother to take my money and use it to buy herself stuff? Is there any way I can get this organization to possibly hold off on giving me the money until I actually get to college? Can I report my mom for fraud if she tries to use it on herself considering that she is not contributing to my education?

    Edit: I live in New Jersey and will be attending a private university in New York for my first year.

    submitted by /u/Swishleafy
    [link] [comments]

    Sex offender ex-bf used my nudes to solicit underage girls via Discord app (CA)

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    I've talked to the local sheriff's dept, but am looking to understand what else I might need to do.

    I was recently in a relationship and lived with someone for 3 years who was a registered sex offender. He was convicted in the beginning of our relationship (January 2017) but I was under the impression for a year and a half that he was wrongly convicted.

    Once I had finally learned the truth, I had fallen for the person I thought he was- so I had stuck around until it became too much.

    I recently kicked him out of my house (January 2020) and have had limited contact with him since then. He comes by every now and again to pick up his mail and to drop off money for the phone bill, but overall we had left things on cordial terms.

    On Tuesday (June 9th 2020) I received a message from a girl on Facebook that I didn't know, letting me know that she was led to believe that someone was using my identity to catfish them.
    She had informed me that she met someone going by "my name" via discord. They had been talking since February 2020.

    She then forwarded me a folder full of files of pictures of me- both selfies and my nudes. She let me know that she had fallen in love with "me" but began to become suspicious of "my" identity after finding my facebook and seeing that certain stories she was told didn't match up with who I actually was.

    The person (my ex-bf) had sent her money on a few occasions via venmo and one day she noticed that the names hadn't matched what she was told their name was.

    She had found MY name in their friend's list on venmo and began researching. She explained to me that this is how she had found my profile on facebook. When I had asked her what the person's name was on venmo, she said my ex boyfriend's name.

    She explained to me that she met this person via a discord server. This server is made up of primarily underage bi-sexual girls looking for friends/significant others. She then invited ME to the discord server to talk to some of the girls he had been in contact with and hear their stories.

    Their ages ranged from 14-21. They had told me stories that dated from recently (June 8th 2020) to February 2020. Stories of sending and exchanging nude photos of each other (the people involved and naked pictures of "me"), transferring funds, oral sex via discord calls, and hundreds of discord threads about "my" life.

    After hearing these stories I had reached out to my local authorities. They had come to my house within the hour and I explained all of this to them. They then came into my house and to my computer to take pictures of the evidence (conversation threads, nude photos, transactions) and began to write their report.

    The officers had gotten in contact with my ex boyfriend's probation officer and a detective and had told them to proceed with the case. The charge that I'm AWARE of is 647(J)(a)PC which is revenge porn. They let me know that the detective would be getting in contact with me in the following days. Since then, they have only reached out to me and asked me for his phone number.

    I'm not sure what else I can do or what to expect. I want to make sure that I do the right things to ensure that MY LIFE is safe and that I do whatever I can to prevent this from happening to other innocent girls.

    Thank you any and all help!

    submitted by /u/anonxyz3333
    [link] [comments]

    Catch 22 situation with my identity, need some help.

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 04:24 PM PDT

    I don't have any form of Identification. I don't have my original birth Certificate. I can't obtain a government/student photo ID without an original birth certificate, and I can't get my birth certificate without a proper form of ID.

    I was born in Mexico, and the Mexican Consulate hasn't been able to help me. They ask for a student ID at a least to be able to prove my identity, and the only way to get a student ID is with some other form of ID. My mother is a US citizen and my father is Mexican. I've lived in the US for 20+ years without an ID and birth certificate. This is due to being homeless and not being understanding how to fix it. I realize I'm a US citizen by birth. My Mother was born in the US and lived there for more than a decade before my birth. I have all those documents proving her identity and her physical presence in the country. I just don't have anything proving who I am. I hired an immigration lawyer before thanks to a friend and it cost $1500 just for him to say he couldn't help me. So I feel stuck. I just need some help 🙏🤍

    submitted by /u/javviierr
    [link] [comments]

    Can I prevent the police from digging up my mother's remains?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    My stepfather is serving life in prison for murder and a variety of other crimes. Yesterday I was informed by detectives that they suspect he also killed my mother. That was 18 years ago. My mother went missing one day. Her body was found 4 days later in a river next to our town. She appeared to have drowned. At the time her death was ruled an accident/suicide. She was depressed and had other mental health issues so we believed that was what happened. Now they say as part of an investigation they are restarting they need to dig up my mother's body. The idea is very upsetting to me. I'm not sure I see the point of this as my stepfather is already in prison and never getting out so it feels like justice has been served anyway. My question is simple, do I have the right to oppose the exhumation of my mother's remains?

    submitted by /u/JoeyF1971
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] I work in an automotive shop. We dump our mopwater straight into the storm drain. Anything I can do about this?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    I work in a mechanic shop in TX and we do not have a dedicated mop sink. Instead we dump & get mop water from the car wash bays. Every other shop I've worked at has had a dedicated mop sink and mop drain. I was under the impression that a shop was required by EPA law to have a separate shop mop sink. Anyone who knows more about environmental law than me know if this is legal? How do I go about talking to my boss about this? I don't like to dump mopwater that I know has oil and coolant down the wash drain. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Snoo_20870
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] my partner and I are in the process of offering on houses. Our realtor says it’s fine to bid on multiple houses and drop out. Good faith appears to say otherwise?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 06:50 AM PDT

    Hello. My partner and I are looking to buy a home. We currently are in love with two houses, one is taking offers until the tonight (this is our less favorite of the two, but we still really like it) and the other (the one we'd prefer to get) is taking offers until tomorrow.

    We asked our realtor what we can do here. We'd be happy with either house but obviously want the one we prefer a bit more.

    She said we can offer on both of them, then have our attorney deny the offer on the less preferred home if we happen to get accepted at both. She said this is a commonly used tactic when the market is so competitive like it is today (both the houses already have 10+ offers not including our own).

    This didn't sit right with me so I looked up the laws of good faith and it sound like this is in blatant disregard to it. Could someone help me understand if this is legal? Is it unethical? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Miykael13
    [link] [comments]

    Vaccinations for children with 50 50 legal custody

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 01:32 PM PDT

    I have 3 children with my x wife. They have never been vaccinated except my eldest had a few as a baby, then she discovered the antivaxx movement and I at the time agreed to not vaccinate them. After the divorce and working a lot with healthcare professionals I have changed my mind on vaccinating them. I haven't contacted her about it yet, assuming it will degrade a mostly cordial relationship.
    If I decide I want to go through with vaccinations can she legally stop me even if the medical consensus says vaccinations are healthy and it's best for the children? Will I get in trouble if I just did it without telling her? We live in mn.

    submitted by /u/Tazz33
    [link] [comments]

    My workplace reopens on Monday, but my boss refuses to take proper COVID safety measures. Any advice?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    Hello all, my name is Jasmine, and to give a little bit of context I am 62 years old and have been an accountant at an apartment rental office for the past 10 years in Miami, FL. My job does not require me to be present at the same time everyone is because I do not have any secretarial duties.

    Due to my age, I have maintained a work from home routine ever since the Covid19 lock-down began. Suddenly, the company owner sent me a text indicating that starting Monday we will be resuming work activities on a normal basis. This in light of everyone else reopening their businesses.

    I responded to the message by asking what safety measures were to be followed for COVID prevention, and after thinking about it for a long time, my boss replied with "taking employee temperatures". I then asked about social distancing, and my boss replied with a sarcastic "please".

    My desk is less than 3 ft away from the area where everybody (including labor workers) continuously walk about 100 times a day. He even opposes adding cubicles or plexiglass as a solution. I responded to him saying "this is not a favor, I am talking about my health , and life."

    Since his proposed solution was inefficient, I counter proposed to either:

    1. Work in after hours, where no staff is present, including Saturdays to complete my 40 hours. (I live half a block away and have been allowed to work at night or on off days before on my own, so it is not a trust issue).
    2. Working from home at their same hours , Monday to Friday, as I have been doing.

    He did not reply afterwards, I'm afraid he's planning to fire me. Is the business owner right in doing this? Is demanding security measures to avoid any possible transmission of COVID wrong on my part? Are there any legal measures I can take in case he fires me?

    Thank you in advance.

    TL:DR - My boss wants to start regular business on Monday without proper COVID safety measures. I have proposed two reasonable solutions but he has not answered yet. I am afraid he is planning on firing me and would like to know if there are any legal measures I could take.

    submitted by /u/miosid_03
    [link] [comments]

    California- Mortuary did not handle body appropriately

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    My late father's wishes was to have his body donated to a university after he passed away. He passed away Friday and when I went to the mortuary Saturday morning after he passed to hold him and say goodbye, his body was not refrigerator cold. It was room temperature and decomposition had set it. It was very difficult even getting to see his body because the mortuary kept initiating refusing until I demanded and had to pay $350. The mortuary director said his body was not a candidate for donation due to the decomposition. I still insisted and contacted all the major Universities of California within 100 miles but due to decomposition they declined him. Doesn't the mortuary have to keep bodies refrigerated? I feel like they mistreated the body.

    submitted by /u/thelovelyrose99
    [link] [comments]

    Property Damage from Comcast's Subcontractors (KY)

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 04:31 PM PDT

    Tldr: Comcast's subcontractors buried our internet cable and damaged our sidewalk. These subcontractors will not pay out for the damages. They refused to give out insurance information. Waiting on Comcast's final answer if they will be paying for the damages. Where to go from here if they also deny it?

    Hello all,

    On May 7th, Comcast subcontractors came out and buried our internet cable, after waiting four months for them to finally come do it. During the bury, they cracked our flagstone sidewalk and killed some plants. We filed a damage claim with Comcast on the 9th. We were told many different things while waiting for someone from the damage claims department to contact us. Eventually on June 1st, a man named Steve from Cavo Communications (who originally introduced himself as Steve from Comcast in Damage Claims) called us to inform us that he would be working with us and the subcontractors. A woman from the subcontractors' company called us to let us know that we had two options: they will either reimburse or repair it themselves. We informed her the damages would likely cost $10k to fix. She told us she would speak to her boss to check if this was okay. She eventually called back to tell us they would require sending someone out to inspect the damage. This never happened. She has since stopped answering or returning calls.

    The actual subcontractor who buried the cable called us and effectively accused us of lying and that he's never damaged anything in his 6 years of work. Steve was less than helpful, pretty much a liaison between us and the subcontractor. Steve asked us to send him photos of the damage so he could show his boss. On the 11th, the subcontractor called us again, this time yelling at us about how we were lying and he would not be paying up. We asked for his insurance information and he hung up on us after saying "That isn't what insurance is for." Today after a few days of waiting, Steve finally called us back to let us know that they (Cavo Communications) would also not be paying up. He explained that he saw no damage in the photos, and they would be doing nothing for us. We then asked for them to send an employee out to inspect the damages personally, but they declined. We asked for insurance information. Steve refused to give it to us, because he would have to ask a higher up for it and that would be "opening a can of worms."

    We got a few quotes from landscaping companies all for around $15k for all the damage. They've all told us there is no easy way to patch these damages and would cost significantly more to patch if we chose to do so. They'll have to rip everything out and replace it. They also said that the longer we wait to do it, the worse the damage will get because the cracks are allowing water to get underneath causing shifting. We have photos of the damage and would be happy to share them if needed.

    During all this, we had filed a FCC claim on the 3rd about the lack of help and damage. This put us into contact with an Executive Customer Relations employee. This employee asked us to keep him informed and if any issues occurred to reach out. We did just this on the 11th after the phone call with the subcontractor. The employee told us he would be sending all the information he had to an inner group in Comcast who would be making a decision on whether or not they would be paying. We plan on contacting him on Monday to let him know what happened today with Cavo Communications. However, we have a few questions.

    Where should we go from here if Comcast also denies the claim? How can we get one of these groups to give us their insurance information to file a claim against? Is it in our best interest to file a claim against our homeowner's insurance? Is it worth it to file a complaint with the Attorney General? Or do we go straight to filing a lawsuit?

    submitted by /u/wildwill95
    [link] [comments]

    My brother and I were not included in our father's will because we had not met him at the time

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 09:50 PM PDT

    Location: New Zealand

    My father died in 2019, with a will dated 2013 which left his house (worth ~$450k) to his "3 children" and the remainder of his money and possessions to his partner (not the mother of any of the children). However he has 5 children, including my brother and I.

    My brother is 2 years older than me. Our mother left him right after I was born as he was abusive. She made every effort to keep us from him as she believed it was best he was not in our lives. In 2015, my brother tracked him down and we met him. He had always wanted to reconnect with us but could not find us.

    He died in 2019 from cancer and the only will that was found was dated 2013. My brother and I did have a relationship with him and he made comments suggesting we would be included in his will (nothing written). He even included a stepdaughter (daughter of a previous partner 20 years ago) in his will. He has 3 children aside from us, one older and two younger, all to different mothers. The children range in age from mid 20s to mid 30s.

    After he died, our 3 half-siblings agreed the house should be fairly divided between his 5 children and that is what he would have wanted. We all agreed that he probably did intend to include us but did not get around to updating his will.

    6 months later, 2 of our half-siblings have changed their minds and they want their 1/3 share of the house, which leaves my brother and I with nothing. Our eldest half-sibling is still willing to share with us 1/5 of his inheritance (he is the executor). But I don't think this is fair.

    Probate has just been granted and we have been told we have 6 months to contest the will. If we were to contest it and go to court, would we be entitled to an equal share, or less given we did not know him for as long? What else needs to be taken into consideration?

    submitted by /u/samkate13
    [link] [comments]

    My sister can't get a job because she spoke up about sexual harassment

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    My sister worked for a big/popular restaurant in Texas in which the general manager, head chef, and various other workers were sexually harassing the female workers. They often would talk about fcking them, their breasts/ass/vaginas, what they should change to make themselves more appealing, ask personal questions about their sex life and just general crude and sexual comments. One of the workers went up to the manager after they interviewed a girl and loudly asked if he could fck her if they hired her, they all laughed.

    A couple months later my sister had enough and told another female general manager what was going on (though she'd have to be deaf dumb and blind to not know already).

    After this they sent my sister home because she had a "bad attitude" with no word of her being able to come back. It wasn't a formal firing or lay off, but my sister decided to quit after that.

    She now has just heard back from another big restaurant that she applied to that they "can't" hire her after talking to the original restaurant she quit at.

    Is there anything we can do legally?

    submitted by /u/Moomalicious
    [link] [comments]

    Concrete truck ripped out electrical line and caused $1,800 worth of damage, refusing to pay

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    Hello all, lets set up some background info on this.

    Tennessee, USA

    The house is 70 years old.

    I live on a dead end street, towards the end.

    My wife and I are renting this house from my father-in-law.

    He didnt tell the homeowners insurance company that we are renting so we were denied the claim from them.

    December of 2019

    EPB (my electrical provider) came out to my house to replace the meter face with a new one. The guy that came out notified me that a small C-clamp that was holding the meter to the exterior wall of my house had worked it way out and was needing to be re-attached before he could swap meters. I had thought about doing this myself, but im not an electrician and dont want to kill myself. It never got replaced, meter or clamp, due to financial issues.

    Fast forward to April 4, 2020

    My neighbor across the street had some plumbing work done to their house and the plumbing company had sourced Sequatchie Concrete Company to fill in some areas that need concrete. So the large concrete mixer truck came down my dead end street, poured the mixture and left.

    As the concrete truck left, the top of the truck snagged my electrical line and proceeded to rip off the meter center from my house. The plumbers were still on site and tried to wave the truck down but to no avail. I filed a police report for hit and run property damage and called EPB. They came out , said they could not re-attach the line because the meter and subsequent interior lines were potentially damaged. They disconnected the electrical line and left. My wife and i moved all of our fridge food to my parents house and crashed with them for 4 days until we found enough money for the electrician to come out and he could fix it. $1,800 later, we were back in our home.

    Pictures

    Now Sequatchie is saying that because the line was mounted too low, was not up to code, and was previously damaged (missing the c-clamp) they are not to be held responsible for this. I just dont believe this to be true. At the end of the day, it was their truck that damaged my home. EPB has sent me a letter of denial saying it was not their fault and i am expecting one from Sequatchie as well soon.

    EPB Denial

    I was hoping to settle this without the need to hire a lawyer.

    Any help is very much appreciated

    submitted by /u/AeroXero42
    [link] [comments]

    Asking for my mom: her company is holding her responsible for a $900 company phone bill because she was working from home, can they do this? Also issues with COVID & pay?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 08:43 AM PDT

    location: FL-USA My mom works for a large manufacturing company in an accounting role. When covid hit, she started working from home. Due to the fact she lives in a rural area and doesn't have internet at her house she was using the hotspot on her work issued cellphone to power her work computer. She did not use her work cellphone for anything personal.

    My mom didn't realize she needed to ask permission to use the hotspot on her work phone. I guess it wasn't until after my mom had been working from home for 3 months the company noticed the phone bill was high (due to the hot spot usage). My mom just returned to working in her office this month and upon returning they asked her about the bill and she explained that she was using the hotspot to work. This is when her boss told her she should when asked permission to use it and they are expecting her to pay out of pocket for the company cell phone bill.

    Additionally, my father suddenly became ill on Monday will a fever. He also works in the same plant in an essential position. The company has a rule that you cannot report to work with a fever and you must be asymptomatic for at least 3 days to return. There is also a rule that if another person in the household is also employed at the plant (like my mom) they also cannot return to work if they've been in contact with the sick person. Both my mom and dad called into their respective supervisors and HR to report the issue and find out what they needed to do.

    My dad is being tested for covid-19 today. Apparently they just told my mom it is unlikely she will get paid for the days she is having to miss because my dad is sick. It's still unclear if she will or won't get paid, but having my dad test for covid may help her case. I believe they also mentioned that my dad may he forced to use his vacation time to cover what he's missed and they will hold this time against him somehow.

    So is there anyway my mom can argue back against paying her employer's phone bill and about pay in the event my dad does or doesn't test positive for covid.

    submitted by /u/throwyaway96
    [link] [comments]

    Can I be forced to stop claiming unemployment?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    I live in NYC and I am currently not working due to the pandemic. However it is (thankfully) only temporary since my work place is shutdown, and soon will reopen. I have been collecting unemployment since my work place shutdown. For about a month and a half I was not getting paid as I was not working therefore receiving unemployment checks.

    In late April, my job place began to pay us biweekly but not making us return to work since the workplace was still shutdown.The amount they pay us came from adding our hours in the fiscal year so far, averaging it, and multiplying it by our hourly rate. However I clearly asked my director if I would need to stop collecting unemployment/if this would impact our unemployment. She said no, to continue collecting. I continued to do so, and every week I would get paid through my organization I would mark it on my unemployment weekly claims.

    This week she has now reached out that the head of the organization has sent out an email telling everyone to stop collecting u employment since we've been getting paid. They also threatened to fire anyone who continues collecting. I was confused why now the switch. The money that was being paid to us biweekly through the organization did not come from the fiscal year budget and grants as they originally told us, it came through a PPP Loan. Part of the terms are that they need to reduce the wages/amount of workers on unemployment in order to receive total loan forgiveness (which is why they are telling us to stop claiming). I'm not sure why the organization got a PPP Loan when they knew we weren't returning instead of the Work Shared Program.

    My question is: do I need to stop claiming my unemployment?

    Unemployment allows me to make up to $504 weekly and continue receiving my benefits. Since I haven't been making over that, I guess that's why I have been still receiving my unemployment benefits weekly. Unemployment reached out to my organization, so I thought it'd be best to keep collecting until I get solid information. My organization is highly disorganized. Unemployment will automatically cut my benefits if something was wrong.

    submitted by /u/eikcaj13
    [link] [comments]

    Towed Car in Accident(Ohio)

    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 10:29 PM PDT

    I got into an accident tonight and I was at fault. My car was in the middle of the road and not able to be moved and I was going to have AAA tow the car but they weren't going to make it in time so the police towed it.

    The problem is the car is my boyfriend's car and in his name. I dropped him off out of state a week ago at friends to hang for a few weeks (he's on unemployment with nothing to do) and now we definitely don't have a way for him to get home without a vehicle and no ability to get the vehicle to the preferred repair shop. I also have to wait till Monday to even be able to get it out of tow due to an apparent police hold.

    Is there anything we can do? We don't want to leave it in tow for 3 weeks but we might not have an option. What options do we have available?

    submitted by /u/LummoSee
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment