• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 13, 2020

    Legal Advice - Invested in a house with ex and his parents that the ex and I lived in. He cheated (again), I left. They sold the house, gave me nothing and used the profits to buy him a different house.

    Legal Advice - Invested in a house with ex and his parents that the ex and I lived in. He cheated (again), I left. They sold the house, gave me nothing and used the profits to buy him a different house.


    Invested in a house with ex and his parents that the ex and I lived in. He cheated (again), I left. They sold the house, gave me nothing and used the profits to buy him a different house.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 07:18 AM PDT

    When my ex and I moved in together for the first time (after dating over 6 years), our credit was not good. His parents got a loan in their name to purchase a home, we put in all the money. Nothing was put into writing prior to the deal. Ex put in $17,000 and I put in $7,000 towards the down payment and other expenses (inspections, earnest money, etc). I paid the mortgage every month we lived there (@$13,000). I painted, purchased light fixtures and assisted in every step of the process when fixing up the house. Bought the house at $140,000. When the house sold, we owed $122,000 and they sold the house for $160,000.

    I got an email from the ex's mom prior to sale price going public saying they took a loss and NO ONE was getting anything back. They claimed they had put in $12,000 (which is false) and they were losing all of their money, the ex was losing all his money and so was I. Made me giggle, at the end of that email, she forgot to delete a sentence from her draft saying "you will get a $1,000 and nothing more". I got zero as they clearly changed their minds. Turns out, I was the only one who lost all my money because they took all profits from the sale of our home and used it as a down payment for a new house for him. Mommy and daddy co-signed and bailed out their abusive cheating alcoholic son yet again.... from day 1, the ex has lied, said he got nothing and is renting his current house. All lies.

    I have emails where she admits they were not supposed to put in any money, that the house was theirs in name only. She made up "charges" that I owe them like disposal of a piano I left at the house - the ex just admitted to keeping it as a "project". I have receipts and cancelled checks, the mortgage company understood the arrangement as did the initial realtor. Taking into account there was no contract between us, do I have any legal recourse? In addition to the email where she (generally) admits the arrangement, I believe there is a good chance I could get the real estate agent to attest to my version of the events.

    Side notes - not sure any of this matters but, some additional detail... my new job had paid a total of $50,000 for me to move and that included paying the portion of my previous mortgage that was upside down. The reason I left was he was an alcoholic and the relationship got progressively abusive. he was a serial cheater and I moved out specifically when I found out he slept with his coworker while we were living together (again, this was ongoing) in the parking lot outside the building they worked in. Despite everything, I was trying to be fair and only asked for $4,000 from the sale which was 1/3 of what I believed the profits to be AFTER the ex and his parents got their money back first - i wasn't even including my initial $7,000 investment. They sold the house because the ex could not afford the $1,100/month mortgage. After I moved out, mommy and daddy paid the mortgage for him because he couldn't.

    I think you can gather from my post - I'm bitter. I'm pissed that he cheats, takes the money and now owns a home when I had to take a loan off my retirement to be able to get a security deposit so I could rent a place for my kids and i. Honestly, I don't need their money, it not even about that anymore - I want vindication that I am not crazy - I need someone else to see through their lies and gaslighting. Considering suing for $1 just for the judgement against them.

    submitted by /u/masuka1219
    [link] [comments]

    Exbf(24m) infected me(24f) and our infant with an std & doctor confirmed we are in fact Hiv positive as well, can he go to prison for this since he knew he was positive before we had sex? Tx

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    Exbf infected me during my pregnancy and my dr confirmed we are in fact hiv positive as well. District attorney has notified me that he is going to be arrested and charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon which could be upgraded to attempted murder if it could be proven his intent was for us to die from it. I know this is all pretty crazy I cant believe this myself. What kind of prison time is he facing if convicted?

    submitted by /u/NewRedditure
    [link] [comments]

    In need of help-- 17F being forced to stay with my dad for a month due to court order, the judge refuses to listen to me or my little brother (14) and is doing everything in favor of my dad. (Colorado)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 07:08 AM PDT

    Sorry for the long post, Tl;dr at the bottom. I'm also on mobile.

    My parents divorced 2-3 years ago, and it was a pretty nasty and stressful divorce.

    My dad is verbally abusive and has been physically and (I hope only just to me, it would be torture to me if he had done this to my brothers) sexually abusive in the past. Despite the efforts of me and my little brother sending multiple letters to the judge and begging my mom constantly to fight harder for us to stop going to his house, the judge that works on the case keeps filing in my dad's favor. According to my mom, he yelled at her in court and told her she was stupid for filing to restrict parenting time against my dad, which she had done because and my younger brother and I requested it.

    My dad has been lying in court, saying that my younger brother and I love it at his house, and we're always excited to go. However, my dad refuses to get us basic everyday necessities (toiletries, clothes, etc.) that he has been court-ordered to get for us. He also ignores us all the time and provides no entertainment.

    A couple of weeks ago, he made us go over to his house for the weekend, and alas he ignored us again. I was stressed the entire weekend, and when I found out that he was making no plans to return us to our mom, I flipped. He had told the police (who had followed my mom to his house) that he wasn't planning on returning us to the 15th, and my mom hadn't been replying to his messages so he just went through with it without asking for an agreement.

    I became overly stressed because I never even wanted to be there in the first place, and there was some yelling back and forth. It ended while my dad was on the phone with the police, and my dad pushed me into a flight of stairs and threw a bucket that originally had my stuff in it at me. He was holding me down, and when he had pulled back his fist like he was going to punch me, I pushed him away with my feet. He told the police that I had assaulted him, and he wanted to press charges to throw me in jail. I had a panic attack in my room from the stress. Police didn't press charges, but he had to return me to my mom's house until the next court date, which was yesterday.

    The court is giving him a month of "makeup time" starting today and made an order saying that my brother and I are not allowed to testify in court.

    The cops have also told me to stop calling them because they think that it's a waste of their time.

    I'm afraid that my father is going to harm me and my little brother and make efforts to keep us away from our mom as long as possible. He also says rude things about my mom almost all the time, and I don't want him to alienate my little brother.

    What can I, a 17-year-old, do?

    Tl;dr: A family court judge has put me and my brother in a situation where we're staying with my abusive father for a month and refuses to listen to us.

    UPDATE: So, today I didn't have to go to his house. He has a court order saying he had to pick up both me and my brother at the same time, however despite this, he tried to drag off just my little brother. (He grabbed him by the wrist and started physically dragging him) I hit him once, and he let go of my brother, and started attacking me. I have bruising in my upper abdominal area from him punching me. Luckily, we have security footage, and I was sent to the ER to make sure that I did not have internal bleeding. The hospital called CPS and my mom is going to call CPS and file for another motion to restrict parenting time, submitting a copy of my discharge papers as evidence.

    submitted by /u/frinxish
    [link] [comments]

    My grandfather (whom I’ve never met in person but found via DNA) is asking for my social security number and address to write me in his will. That’s not right, correct?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 05:33 PM PDT

    Hello r/legaladvice

    Just your regular smegular uneducated 19 year old girl checking in. This March, I found my maternal grandfather by being matched to my mother's cousin on ancestry, whom I found my grandfather through.

    I have heard a lot of bad things about my grandfather, that he was a rapist, scammer, stalker, and a con artist. However I have always taken things with a grain of salt, because my grandmother has mental health issues, as well as my mother.

    They both believe that the government is conspiring against them, and believe that they are the targets of an international conspiracy against them to suppress the fact that they're actually royal billionaires and that nearly everyone they meet is in on it, including myself.

    Thus, I was in foster care and now live with my fiancé.

    Anyhow, I was reconnected with my grandfather. He's an old hippy person, whose a self proclaimed "smuggler" and "stud". He's asked me questions about my sex life, why I haven't had more sex, called me attractive, etc.

    He's also asked me to visit him and that I can stay in a one of his houses for free, that I should move into a one of his properties, that I should leave my fiancé and move to Cali, and can meet men there, etc etc.

    He's said some pretty rude things about my grandmother's appearance, and general person.

    He offered to mail me some LSD, hit on my mother in law on Facebook whom I'm not even friends with.....and most recently.....

    Asked for my social and address so I can be written into his will. I told him I didn't know him well enough to disclose that kind of information. He said he needs it to write me into his will, and that today's generation is a lot more cautious than his was. The convo pretty much ended after that, and I was left wondering....

    It's not necessary to know someone's social to write them into a will, correct? Am I wrong? Am I overly cautious? I've never met him in person. Am I right to be weirded out? Like why exactly would he need my social.

    Like, I never intended on cashing in on his will in the first place. I just thought it would be cool to reach out. But, theoretically, he wouldn't need my social in the first place, correct?

    TL;DR: my grandfather offered to write me into his will but says he needs my social. It's right to be suspect, correct?

    submitted by /u/kayasphotographs
    [link] [comments]

    Employer demanded to know my medication (Boston, MA)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 03:18 PM PDT

    I was offered (and accepted) a desk-research job at a major nonprofit in Boston. My on boarding paperwork included a form asking about major medical conditions and any medication I take. In writing, I communicated I did not want to disclose my medication, because they were related to a disability I have. I am bipolar and I take Seroquel. If you google the medication, you would know what I have. It is so well managed, you wouldn't know if I did not tell you. But I have been treated terribly in the past because of my diagnosis.

    In my on boarding meeting, they insisted that I disclose my medication, and then asked me why I take it. After learning I am bipolar, they told me they need a letter from my psychiatrist stating I am "fit to work" as a bipolar person. I have been doing this job in basically a contracting role for 2 years. They know I can do this job.

    Is it legal to:

    • Demand to know what medications employees take
    • Demand to know why they take their medications
    • Demand individuals with disabilities submit verification from their doctors about their "fittness" to work

    In previous jobs I have been asked whether I take any medication or have any conditions that would interfere with my job, and what accommodations I might need if so. That doesn't bother me. I am distressed that my employer demanded to know my personal medical information, and that they used that information to question my capabilities.

    To be clear, I don't want to sue my employer. I don't know if what they did was illegal or just inappropriate. I want them to change their on boarding procedure to be less invasive. I want to ensure that individuals with disabilities feel welcome and respected at or organization. And, I want an apology from the person who on boarded me. What are my best steps forward from here?

    I tried calling the EEOC and the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination to ask these questions, but wasn't able to get through to a person.

    submitted by /u/employmentdiscrim
    [link] [comments]

    A week prior to home possession, red flags are flying

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    I bought a house in Alberta, Canada. We are currently a week away from possession, and did a precursor walkthrough today.

    Out of 9 stipulations on the sale contract, the seller has completed 2 of 9. There's been 90 days of notice, and everything was agreed upon a few months ago.

    The biggest ticket item not done was the furnace, as a stipulation as it was older, was that the furnace would be repaired/serviced and given a clean bill of health by a licensed technician with receipts to prove the work was carried out.

    The 'receipt' received is a hand written piece of paper with a company header on, looking through company records the company has not existed since 2019. My personal view is that the seller has gotten a buddy of his to write 'all good' on some old stationary and is trying to pass it off as the inspection completed and no faults found.

    I'm meeting with our lawyer on Monday, and I'm trying to figure out what has gone on as much as possible beforehand. In the contract, I have the option to withhold funds unless conditions are satisfied. What is my best avenue of attack on this?

    submitted by /u/rrbrbcsm
    [link] [comments]

    My roommate accuses me of stealing from her and says she will call the police if I don’t let her search my room and go through my closet, boxes, and suitcases. Location: Washington, DC.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 04:43 AM PDT

    So I am an international student currently living in DC. I had planned to return home right after my graduation in May but got stuck in the US due to the coronavirus lockdown, but I hope to leave as soon as possible by July or august at the latest.

    My university campus shut down in March, and because I couldn't go home, I moved into a short term sublet until I can return home. Basically, I am living out of boxes and suitcases and have no desire of unpacking or settling down at this house, I just want to go home as soon as I can. Enter my housemate. Last week, she told me that she was missing several items of clothing and some jewelry and thought that I had taken them. She asked to search my room alone, open my boxes, suitcases, etc. I refused because a) she isn't my landlord, b) I felt that I had a reasonable expectation of privacy, and c) she couldn't even give me an exact inventory of the things I supposedly stole. Things were fine, if awkward, until yesterday, when she entered my room without my permission while I wasn't there and tried to search through my things. I caught her and told her in no uncertain terms to stay out. Now she says she will call the police if I don't consent to a search of everything I have so she can ensure I haven't stolen from her.

    I am totally at my wits end. There's no way to lock my room door, but I'm resorting to transferring my valuables into my suitcases and putting mini locks on them. I am looking for flights out of here now because this is really not a problem I needed. What should I do? Should I let her search through my things? Does she have any standing to call the police? If she does, should I let them search through my things? What if she claims something of mine is hers? Any advice more than appreciated!

    submitted by /u/42k12
    [link] [comments]

    I am a cook and I was given a wage deduction without my consent

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 05:19 AM PDT

    Hello! I am from Michigan and I was recently called to come back to work and yesterday was my first payday back. I was looking at my paystub and noticed that my wage was reduced to $10/hr when is was originally $14.5/hour. I was reading up on the employment law handbook for Michigan and it clearly states that I was supposed to be notified via written letter and they were suppose to get my consent to do so before the pay period even began. I am currently trying to figure out what exactly I should do and how I should approach this. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/alienableteaching
    [link] [comments]

    Put together some legal advice about employee rights to send to other co-workers and previous employees. I’m basically just wanting to know if the owner can retaliate against me if I send it out (AZ)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    Here is the message that I would send:

    Hey! So I put a few things together for anyone working or has worked at [company name] to hopefully help you out if you were wronged there. This is being sent to numerous people with different positions and circumstances so not everything here will apply to you. My intent here is to provide you with the information to file a complaint if you feel the need to do so, and so you can get compensated for any wage loss if you'd like to.

    For any tipped employees that had to clock out prior to rolling silverware while waiting for your paperwork to finish, this is highly illegal. Even if it's only 10 minutes a day, that can add up to a full paycheck or more a year. Law: https://apps.azsos.gov/public_services/Title_20/20-05.pdf

    Form to file complaint: https://www.azica.gov/forms/labor3303

    [company name] required employees to provide a doctors note to claim any sick pay, this is also illegal in AZ unless you miss 3 or more consecutive days. Otherwise employers must pay you for your days missed so as long as you contacted your supervisor. They are not allowed to request a doctors note. Law: https://www.azica.gov/labor-frequently-asked-questions-english Scroll down to earned paid sick leave and read "Can an employer require employees to document absences in which earned paid sick time was used?" If this happened to you and you were not paid, you can fill out form: https://www.azica.gov/forms/labor3305 You can be compensated for any days missed that you were not paid for as long as you have or had the sick time available

    Another big issue at GCB was not getting proper over time payment (only for hourly employees). I know [owners name] regularly did not pay OT, only straight time instead of time and a half. Also very illegal on the federal level. You can be compensated for this! Since it is a federal law, you would need to call the local department of labor office in Phoenix 602-514-7100 or 1-866-487-9243. There are no forms for this, you would just give the information requested to who you speak with.

    submitted by /u/john34546
    [link] [comments]

    Car dealership says dealer financing fell through and I need to come in to sign at a higher rate.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    WA State

    I purchased a new vehicle from a large car dealership on Sat, May 30. I had already been pre-approved by my bank, but the dealer said they could get me a loan at ~0.5% better. I went with the dealer financing, signed the papers, picked up the car two days later, and thought that was it. On Tues, June 9, the dealer left me a voicemail saying the dealer financing was not approved at the rate they gave me and I need to come in and sign a paper to use my bank financing at the higher APR. I did some research it seemed like they were in violation of the Bushing Laws in WA State since they would only have 4 business days to let me know this and it had been seven. So I sent the dealer an email saying they need to honor the original APR and they said that Bushing Laws do not require them to buy the loan at the original rate, and my options were to put more money down or look for another loan.

    Is the dealer obliged to honor the original APR? Can I return the vehicle if they don't? Is the contract voided if I don't sign the new papers?

    submitted by /u/Listen_Accomplished_
    [link] [comments]

    My (22m) wife (25f) is in jail with no bond for her first offense. (Ohio)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    My wife who is 32 weeks pregnant and ar high risk for miscarriage is currently in jail for ripping my shirt during an argument. Neither of us called the police and she us being charged with domestic violence. She is currently jailed at the multi county correctional center of Ohio which has an extremely high number of cotonavirue cases. Is there anything I can do to get her bailed out. ( I'm sorry for formatting im on mobile)

    Any advice is welcome.

    submitted by /u/pugglyhitter
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor dinged my car pretty good. She did it to our last car multiple times. We’ve got pics and measurements of paint transfers. Might that be enough for claims court?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    (Colorado) We live in a small 2-story apt complex. It has 6 units total. The parking lot in front has 10 spots, five on each side. We've lived here for 2 years. An older woman moved in, and parked next to our previous vehicle. She would open her drivers side door and hit our van.

    After about the 7th time we started taking pics, using a tape measure to measure the height and then taking a picture of the corresponding bright white paint transfer on the edge of her door (they matched exactly).

    My adult son caught her doing it one day and she acted surprised, saying this was the first time she had done that. She began parking on the other side of the lot after that. We let it go.

    Fast forward to now. We have a much more expensive late model car. We park in the end spot, which has some painted lines between it and the end of the lot which gives some extra room and we park way over so it gives anyone a lot of space and prevents (we had hoped) door dings.

    This neighbor decided about a week ago that she wants to claim the empty spot next to our car. Not a problem, until she started double parking, parking over her yellow line, encroaching very close to our car.

    And it happened. She got a really good, solid ding on our car with her door. It chipped off our metallic paint and left a transfer of her red paint. She is the only resident with a red car. We took pics again, sending them to her, along with a pic of the edge of her drivers door, which has gray paint on it.

    She went nuts. Insulting, cursing, etc. told us that if we took her to small claims court that she would counter sue (?!). Blew our phone up with angry texts. Then she called her son to drive to the complex, who confronted my husband and told us that if we did not have video, we had nothing.

    We have pics and pics of our previous car, with and without measuring tape.

    We got an estimate and it was $500. We have a very nice metallic paint job, it was one of the reasons we chose our specific car. When she started parking there we had also asked her to move over the time she double parked half in our space, telling her we park way over to prevent door dings and anything like that.

    I can't figure out how to post pics but would love to to show the situation. Is it possible to post them in the comments?

    Thanks, sorry for the long post. I am beside myself. We pay 350 a month for this car. I am not okay with eating 500 because she did this yet again.

    submitted by /u/legaladvice0000
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor’s grandkid hung the family dog and knows a lot about guns.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 09:08 PM PDT

    Posting with an alt account because this kid scares me. Our neighbors have a grandkid (maybe 13? 14?) who comes to visit with his parents from time to time. On one visit my husband was sitting outside on our deck which faces theirs and witnessed the kid kick their family dog off the deck while it was leashed to the railing and the kid just watched while it suffocated. The family came out too late and were mortified and screaming. Grandma said something to the effect of "you're an evil child". I've seen the kid randomly pacing in the yard on other visits and never allow my dog outside when he is over. Today the kids were over playing with water/nerf guns and he was talking a lot about REAL guns and seemed to know a lot of terminology for his age. I'm not sure what to do in this situation or if I should do anything. I know this kid scares the shit out of me and I worry he's going to end up committing a serious crime some day. What should I do? And how do I take action without the grandparents knowing it was me?

    Edit: this is in California, Bay Area.

    submitted by /u/donthangmydog
    [link] [comments]

    Minnesota: Nephews call to tell Grandma that Mom is passed out, they wish she had died...

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 06:53 AM PDT

    First time posting and trying to keep it simple and to the point...my husband's brother passed away unexpectedly 5 years ago. He had two sons who split time 70/30 between mom and dad. Mom is a convicted felon and has an older daughter who has been taken away permanently from her. Our nephews have been taken away and sent to live with my husband's parents twice. It's a bad situation, CPS has been involved multiple times, but the boys keep getting sent back to her. Last week, the oldest one (14) called grandma (husband's mom) to tell her that he almost tripped over his mom on the stairs that morning because she was passed out-she's a habitual drinker and drug user. He then proceeded to tell grandma that he often wonders what it would have been like if mom has been the one that died instead of dad. We don't have a ton of extra money, but are looking for a way to get those boys out of their mom's home and living with either grandparents or with us. I'm guessing hiring a lawyer is our best bet, but is this even a battle we can fight?

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/ems009
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] I just learned that the owner of my company regularly uses racial slurs in front of staff. Is this grounds for a “hostile work environment?”

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 07:14 PM PDT

    So, our company is a hospitality-based business; we operate a few restaurants and bars in our metropolitan area. The owner has a history of making an ass of himself, there are several news articles in our town detailing the kind of person he is. Long story short, we've been having staff meetings to talk about how we as a company want to respond to the BLM protests happening. In this meeting, one of the bartenders mentioned an instance where the owner got drunk at the bar and started using inflammatory racial language (n- word, specifically). After their statement, several others came forward with other instances where this has happened on their shift, and they felt powerless to kick him out (as they would any other customer who acted like that). My question is, does this qualify as a Hostile Work Environment? I've been looking into it on Google, but am having difficulty figuring out if this qualifies. Management is aware of the issue and doing their best to keep him in check, but at the end of the day he does whatever he wants anyways. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Custard_Fantastic
    [link] [comments]

    My girlfriend might get sued for defamation for exposing a man selling child-porn

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 09:55 AM PDT

    My girlfriend and her friends know this guy who was selling naked photos of (multiple) 13-year old girls while he was 18-19. It was a scandal for a couple months, but the guy is extremely well connected with local pd, rich, and white. Despite testimonials the police never even talked to the kid, only his dad and fancy lawyer of course. The guy ended up getting a full ride scholarship to a respectable college and of course no charges got pressed.

    Anyways fast-forward a bit and it got brought up on twitter by some other people (it's pretty well known what happened in the town) and my girlfriend ended up contacting the guys colleges coaches and letting them know what happened, as well as sending a tweet calling the guy "disgusting," etc.

    Yesterday she got a very threatening email from the boys dad asking for a written formal apology along with publicly retracted statements, after which the dad "might" decide to not press charges for defamation of character. Keep in mind my girlfriend is 20 with very little resources and this is a rich family who is very well connected to the local police department. The boy has been "exhonorated" by the police report (in which they didn't even speak with him) but everyone knows what really happened, especially the girls that had pictures of them sold and the people he was trying to sell it to. But either way I know the chance of reopening the case and winning against him is zero to none, but...

    What are our options here? I hate to see this type of injustice but I know the reality that many court cases ultimately boil down to who can afford a better lawyer. Does she have no choice but to retract her statements and just pray she doesn't get sued? And what are the potential outcomes in case she does get sued, would she lose a ton of money or potentially face charges on her record?

    Neither of us have any experience with these sorts of things so we seriously appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/involutionn
    [link] [comments]

    Someone left my mom to die

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    What do i do? I thought my mom died of a drug overdose by herself 6 months ago, but I just found out through someone that she was actually with two people. They gave her the first dose, saw she started to OD, called 911 - gave her the phone and ditched her to die. She suffered 20 minutes alone until the ambulance came and died with an inhaler in her hand. The hospital was only 3 minutes away....

    I'm 19 and honestly i'm so overwhelmed by all of this. my "family" isn't doing anything about this and these people who left my mom to die are still wandering free....my mom was only 42. she died two weeks after her birthday....

    what do i do?

    submitted by /u/Zinolda
    [link] [comments]

    I overpaid child support by $21,803 over the last 9 years due a temporary 8 month additional payment for retroactive support never being removed. This happened in Texas, relevant family code attached. Can someone please translate for me?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 08:45 PM PDT

    Sec. 154.014. PAYMENTS IN EXCESS OF COURT-ORDERED AMOUNT. (a) If a child support agency or local child support registry receives from an obligor who is not in arrears a child support payment in an amount that exceeds the court-ordered amount, the agency or registry, to the extent possible, shall give effect to any expressed intent of the obligor for the application of the amount that exceeds the court-ordered amount.

    (b) If the obligor does not express an intent for the application of the amount paid in excess of the court-ordered amount, the agency or registry shall:

    (1) credit the excess amount to the obligor's future child support obligation; and

    (2) promptly disburse the excess amount to the obligee.

    (c) This section does not apply to an obligee who is a recipient of public assistance under Chapter 31, Human Resources Code.

    submitted by /u/MisterplacedTexan
    [link] [comments]

    I used a key to go get my things from my parents house

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 01:08 PM PDT

    State: Louisiana, Beauregard Parish specifically

    Context: My family and I had a falling out a month or so ago and I was told I was dead to them and to not talk to them and what not.

    A couple weeks ago, I used a key to go get the things I had at their house while they weren't there. I only got the things I owned and I didn't touch anything else. My stepmom just texted me telling me that the sheriffs office would be contacting me. Also it was a key they had made for me, there's no restraining order or eviction notice or anything of that sort.

    Should I be worried and/or should I be contacting a lawyer?

    submitted by /u/Zactics_
    [link] [comments]

    Certified mail lien warning from our “neighbor” pool guy?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 04:13 PM PDT

    We live in Florida. Our pool was leaking. Husband called a local leak detection company with 4.9 stars to come out. On the phone, the lady said there'd be a $100 consultation fee to come out, but that it's deducted from the final bill if we were to move forward with what would need to be done. Cool.

    The owner came out and claimed to live in our neighborhood. He looked at the leak and said we needed a new impeller (sp?). Husband specifically asked about the consultation fee at the close of the visit. Pool company owner says "Don't worry about that, we're neighbors."

    Pool owner goes back to office. Receptionist calls husband later that day and tells him it'll be ~$400 for the work that needs to be done and they could come out on 6/8. Husband says okay and schedules it, even though we were ten days out from service. No contract signed.

    In the meantime, husband realizes he can replace impeller himself rather easily and for much less than we've been quoted. So, he replaced it. Also, another issue arose with the pool where our cleaner stopped working. As the pool turned green, we contacted another local pool company and they came out same day and fixed the cleaner AND the leak. We fixed everything, including this new cleaner issue, for $160.

    With no more pool issues, husband calls the original pool leak company on the morning of 6/8 and leaves a message canceling the appointment for that afternoon.

    On Wednesday 6/10, he receives a voicemail from the receptionist asking him to contact her regarding an "unpaid balance." He figures there should be none and has yet to call her back.

    Today (4 days later), we receive certified mail alerting us to their intent to put a lien on our property if they remain unpaid.

    Wtf?

    They are closed today so we're unable to speak with anyone yet but is this even legal? We have no contract, never signed anything, work was never performed. I suppose at most they may want the consultation fee (even though he said he was waiving it since we are neighbors) and maybe the cost of an impeller if they even ordered one?

    How do we protect ourselves and go from here? It's not like we have a problem paying them. This just seems like a very sudden, odd way to go about getting paid. We don't even have an invoice!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Cfack412
    [link] [comments]

    How much of an obligation do I have to return mail for the people who used to live at my house?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 10:26 PM PDT

    I moved into my house two years ago, They still get mail almost daily sent to my address. Often important letters like the IRS, Bills, schools etc...

    Do I have any legal obligation to keep returning the letters?

    I notified the post office multiple times that they do not live at my address. In total it's about four people.

    Nevada.

    submitted by /u/dtorre
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors block off end of court and park their cars crooked in it

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 02:50 PM PDT

    Location: NorCal To sum it up, my neighbors at the end of our court block off the entrance to the court for days at a time for their kids. There is a small hole where their little car can fit. On top of that, everyone in the court parks like its a parking lot instead of parking on the edges like people normally do. Both of these things make it very difficult for me to turn my truck around to park every day. 1. Is what they're doing illegal 2. If so, what can be done about it? Here's a shitty sketch if yall want a visual http://imgur.com/a/87bdV37

    submitted by /u/vrxptor
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment