• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 14, 2020

    Legal Advice - Cop keeps pulling me (22f) over just to mess with me

    Legal Advice - Cop keeps pulling me (22f) over just to mess with me


    Cop keeps pulling me (22f) over just to mess with me

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 01:07 PM PDT

    Hi, I made this account today because I'm really upset right now and I need to know if I have any grounds to get this man to experience any type of disciplinary action.

    I live in a small town in Wisconsin so the cops kind of know everybody. But there's this one cop who keeps pulling me over for the most craziest and asinine reasons like I was too close to the curb or I stopped too close to the stop sign. He's a young attractive cop and I'm young and attractive as well so I'm thinking he's trying to flirt with me or something? But the situations are so aggravating and the things he says and does seem like he's intentionally trying to antagonize me so that I'll say or do something out of anger and he'll have an excuse to escalate the situation.

    But today he crossed the line. He pulled me over again under the guise that I wasn't going the speed limit (it was 45 I was going 50) and when he came to my car and said his usual bullshit in the most condescending way he said he had to search ME, not the car, because my car smelled funny. My car smells like vanilla and I've never smoked anything in there so I know he was bullshitting me again. I told him that if he wants to search me he'll have to get a female officer to do it, but he said if I don't comply he'll arrest me. So I got out of the car, he told me to put my hands on my car so I did, and he just starts rubbing me up and down. Not even searching for anything, just rubbing me! He went over my thighs twice, my lower back, and almost cupped my boobs. I was wearing a skin tight skirt set, no pockets and you could clearly see that I had nothing on me.

    I'm typing this like 30 min after it happened, I'm upset and angry and I feel violated. Is there any way I can get him in trouble for this?

    I have a GoPro in my car but idk if it caught this on camera I didn't check yet.

    submitted by /u/ikklawthriw
    [link] [comments]

    There was legal action taken against me without me knowing?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 01:40 AM PDT

    I did a google search of my name out of boredom and found a case that said ILLINOIS COUNTY v. (My full name) I clicked on it to find a two year old case against me for a few hundred dollars. I don't remember getting notified of the case but I do have a current garnishment from my student loans of a separate amount. I have the money to pay what they're asking but I have no clue what it's for, if it increased in price, who to call, or if I should even do anything since it's from over two years ago. Should I do something? What should I do if that? (As per location request I'm from Chicago IL)

    submitted by /u/PenteCrowe
    [link] [comments]

    Newly-formed church "shooting range" refusing to stop shooting in the direction of my own bordering property

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 07:04 AM PDT

    Michigan

    My family owns a decently sized piece of field/woodland in Central Michigan, and we have resided there for many generations. Recently, the local church bordering our property started allowing people to use their land as a shooting range, however the line of fire follows through to our land on the other side. They often use high powered rifles that easily go through their plywood targets.

    We frequently drive through there with children and cannot abide the possibility that a stray bullet could hit one of them, so we need the shooting range to either point another direction (not likely if you look at the image), or halt (firearm-related) operations altogether. We are not able to access the full property without being in the line of fire.

    We have asked the church to move their targets to somewhere else, but they are saying the way they are currently shooting is the safest direction and will not cease firing.

    In addition, I have recently learned that they occasionally have hunter's safety classes there with a DNR officer present. Does that further legitimize their "shooting range?"

    As the church will not willingly stop, do I have any way to legally stop them from putting us in danger?

    And because I know how much y'all like poorly-drawn pictures, here is the situation graphically represented.

    Happy to offer additional missing details. My family seems to mostly think we have no recourse, but that didn't sound right to me at all.

    Appreciate any and all advice you can give.

    submitted by /u/IAmTheOneWhoPosts
    [link] [comments]

    Old woman keeps yelling everytime I let MY dog out to use the bathroom in MY backyard (fenced yard) he's a shy dog and never leaves the yard. She comes out and and throws rocks at him over the fence cuz when her dogs hear them they bark. Is this legal?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    And obviously im not a home owner cuz im young. So im wanting to know if she manages to chuck a rock hard at MY dog and he bleeds she will get arrested? Again my dog is SHY never leaves the yard she gets ANGRY that when i go outside to play with him (and he makes any sound) she chucks sh*t over the fence at us and yesterday i let him out to use the bathroom while i got the mail i hear yelling (when i was by the mailbox) i rush to the fence open it and see this stupid old woman(75+) half way in my backyard (i was the only one home parents dont believe me when i told them this) she was like bent over our fence (its 6foot) she got mad her dogs started barking cuz they heard me and my dog running around playing with a tennis ball (fetch) she said if the sounds from my backyard make her dogs bark again she's gonna "harm my dog" i told her if she even tries she'll get arrested. Now whats creepy as HELL is there's a little crack in the fence and shes been peeping threw it all day ive been outside i walk by it and look threw it and she's just sitting there to the point i feel creeped out going outside. This morning i went outside on the deck to make a phone call and the woman heard me and started screaming how is this legal? Should i film her next time?

    Suburbian house, not town homes, not houses close together. South Dakota

    submitted by /u/throwaway10292938
    [link] [comments]

    [SC] Signed rental lease effective July 1st. I woke up this morning to the house owner telling me he gave the agreement to a bunch of people and "will decide who gets the rental" next week. Is this legal? I've already moved state borders because of this agreement...

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    The title says it all. The homeowner gave me rental agreement paperwork for a house in South Carolina. I signed the agreement, and I am set to move in July 1st. All of a sudden, I get texts from the homeowner saying I have to wait till next week before he decides who gets it. Confused, I inquire.

    Turns out, he gave out a rental agreement to multiple people at the same time. This is the lease which includes all the rental property agreements.

    I just moved across state borders in order to move here, I had all the paperwork set. Is what this guy doing legal? I feel like he can't just redact a contract like this, let alone give out copies of the same contract to multiple people and only choosing the "highest" bidder.

    Please Reddit, can you help? I moved so my 3 kids could go to school down here for the new semester, I am thinking now I will be literally homeless.

    submitted by /u/Green_Tourist
    [link] [comments]

    Assaulted, broke my jaw, can't work for at least 6 weeks

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 08:25 PM PDT

    This happened about 2 and a half weeks ago now. I was walking to the bus stop and this guy just punched me from behind right in the face, thinking I was someone else. He told the police that I had gotten into it with him a week earlier - I'd never seen this guy before in my life.

    I called the police, they arrested him, and I refused medical attention because honestly, it didn't seem too bad. No visible bruise or swelling and it didn't hurt much. Two weeks later the pain was unbearable. I went to the ER and they told me my jaw was broken, I needed surgery ASAP (the next day), and my jaw would be wired shut for six weeks.

    I had the surgery done (they had to re-break my jaw first, as it had begun to heal in the wrong position) and my mouth was wired shut. They sent me home the next day, and the next night I was vomiting and choking on my vomit and couldn't breathe, so i had to cut the wires. Every time the wires get cut, my six weeks starts over. Who knows how long this will go on?

    I had been working through a temp agency since February, but due to the virus and some mental health issues, I had been out of work for about three weeks prior to this happening. I'm out of money, ineligible for unemployment or disability, don't get foodshare benefits, but thankfully I do have state health insurance until the health emergency is over. I can't go back to work or find a new job until my jaw is healed, which is a minimum of six weeks.

    My question is, did I wait too long to get my injury checked out? Would it even matter? Would any attorney take a case like this, seeing as how I highly doubt the guy who hit me would be able to pay damages? Is there anything I CAN do?

    edit Milwaukee County, WI

    submitted by /u/raised_by_horses
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor stealing my yard - what damages can I claim in court?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    tldr: Neighbor has fenced in part of our yard. We have to sue him to get it back and were told all we could get in court are damages, not legal fees. How can we max our damages and prove them?

    The story:

    In 2019, we bought a 2 acre empty lot in CA that had been unoccupied for 20 years with the plan to build a home. Neighbor-JerkFace (Neighbor-JF) finished building his place in 2018 and landscaped across his property line and into our yard/driveway. He owns an LLC which owns the house. After we bought our place, we negotiated with him and offered to rent him this nicely landscaped part with his patio furniture and all. He asked to buy it and we declined to sell. There were many meetings about this. Then we discovered survey markers at the other side of our property and we could determine the property line between us and Neighbor-JF very easily. When we showed him this, he suddenly stopped negotiating and built a fence, encroaching about 2,300sf. Police told us they could do nothing and we had to get a survey, which we did. Neighbor-JF attacked the surveyor and my SO. Police reports were filed. Our lawyer wrote to their lawyer. We were essentially told to F off. Now we will file civil lawsuit / compliant? Our lawyer tells us that it is highly unlikely that we will be awarded legal fees and they are astronomical. What we might get is damages. (I left out details for brevity but happy to add as they may become useful)

    So my question is: what are damages? How can I have and prove more damages?

    Some ideas:

    1. Can I send him a rental notice: The rent for these 2,300sf is $ 5000/ month? Can I backdate?

    2. Is it true that if my land is used for agriculture, I can get lawyers fees awarded? Our land is zoned residential but over 2 acres and we have already planted many fruit trees.

    3. cost of removal of his 270' of fences including concrete ? Cost of removal of 500sf of poured concrete? Removal of irrigation and in ground electrical wires?

    4. Once our building permits are approved, his encroachment hinders us from trenching for utilities and building fire access/ driveway.

    5. Our water meter is now behind the fence and we couldn't trench our water line. So now we water our plants with hundreds of feet of garden hose, taking hours every day. Is additional labor time a damage?

    6. Because of the lack of automatic watering, we are postponing planting more fruit trees. This means they will be a year behind in productivity.

    Is there anything we can do to make the damage award take a healthy bite out of our $30,000+ in legal fees? Thanks for your advice.

    submitted by /u/FrustratedNScared
    [link] [comments]

    [TX/PA] Son Adopted Without My Consent

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 02:27 PM PDT

    Linear Timeline: 2009: I begin a relationship with Laura. 2011: The relationship ends abruptly. She cleans out the apartment while I am at work, leaving only a note. I am unable to find her on any social media, her family does not say where she has gone. March 11th, 2020: I am informed by a former college classmate of ours to look up a diminutive of Laura's name. So if her full name was Lauren Anderson, I would look up Laurie Green on Facebook. I discover that Laurie is married and living with her husband in PA and has a 9 year old son. The son's birthday correlates to two months before the end of our relationship.

    I believe that Laurie left while she was pregnant with our son to avoid me attempting to take 50/50 custody. I know that she has been married for several years (although not an exact date) and her husband has possibly adopted our son. I am relatively certain he is mine, as Laurie/her husband are a different race than I am and the child appears mixed.

    My questions are 1) How do I best establish contact with the child? I do not want Laurie to know I am seeking contact until I have my ducks in a row in case she decides to do something drastic. 2) How do I open a custody case in PA where they are living when I am in TX? 3) What are my options if my son has been adopted by another unrelated man?

    submitted by /u/NefariousnessAny7394
    [link] [comments]

    Car accident on my property that almost killed me is not being charged as a DWI while the driver was drunk

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 09:30 AM PDT

    Good Morning,

    2 weeks ago on a sunny Saturday afternoon while outside raking my front lawn a driver lost control of their car. This individual was speeding, crashed into my rock wall and flipped several time onto my lawn. At the time I was outside raking my lawn and thank god sprinted out of the way of the flipping vehicle and saved my life. I was feet from being crushed by the car.

    I called 911, Police and EMS came to the scene and she was taken out on a stretcher. The concern I have is during the incident, the local police breathalyzer the driver while she was in her vehicle. The one officer stated and held up the breathalyzer to the other officer ".27" implying she was wasted. Me and about 7 other people witnessed the officers statement. This town has a history of corrupt actions and cover-ups for people who are in their good graces. There has been several other incident where the integrity of our local police has been questioned.

    That Monday I requested and was emailed the police report. No where on the police report was anything mentioned of drinking, DWI charge or alcohol. The charges were 1180-a 1128-a which are not alcohol related . I believe the local police department are not reporting the DWI. If it changes anything this occurred in NY state and I am a current federal law enforcement officer. I was in such shock from the incident that I did not tell law enforcement I worked in law enforcement as well. This is not a vendetta I have for my local police department or this women, I simply believe in justice and as an officer I want to do what is right.

    The only interaction I had with the local police during the incident was giving them my license, they asked me almost no questions. What steps should I take to figure out why no DWI was given and how to hold this women who almost killed me and potentially a local law enforcement organization accountable for not property reporting an incident that almost ended my life. This was the closes I've ever been to being killed and I am struggling getting over this. Thank you and I appreciate any advice you can provide me.

    submitted by /u/cjack95
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get in trouble for refusing to take in my mother back after a hospitalization?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    My mother (73) currently lives with me (F43) and my family in my house in New Jersey, USA. We took her in after a stroke. I have taken care of her for the past year, driving to doctors, shopping, doing meds, organizing everything, etc. I have power of attorney and pretty much do whatever she needs, including hiring someone to help out with her care. She can walk/talk/be a total bitch/ etc., but has many health complications from the stroke, genetics and not taking care of her diabetes for the past 20 years.

    She has been in the hospital at least 3 times since she has lived with me for various infections and some new issues. She fights any new meds or doctors and gets pissy if they give her news she doesn't want to hear.

    Since March, her carer has not been to the house because of COVID. I have been doing everything and working from home. I told her last week that the carer could come back now. She said no. Then she decided that she doesn't want to go to any more doctors and said she can take care of herself (she can only see poorly from one eye and does not drive nor have the mobility to walk down our treacherous driveway to a public bus). My husband and I have already told her that if she ends up hospitalized for something preventable (a uti, diabetic issue, celiac issue, etc) that she is no longer welcome to live in out house. If she can't follow the orders that keep her alive (or let us help her follow them) she can't stay here and willfully die in front of my small children.

    No one else in the family will take her in. If she carries on her plan to refuse doctors, she will be in hospital before the summer is out. Am I legally obligated to take her back in? What will happen to her if I don't (she has no money/house/friends). Can they force me to take her?

    Edited to include location.

    submitted by /u/JustGiraffable
    [link] [comments]

    Ex-fwb got an abortion and is now blaming and defaming me, and her friends are harassing my current partner on social media

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    About a year ago I had sex with a friend of mine and we used protection, but fast forward 4 months, she messaged me and told me that she was pregnant and already attempted an abortion, which she claims failed.

    She wanted parental support from me and professed her feelings for me multiple times, but I repeatedly told her that I did not feel the same and that I am not her boyfriend. I apologized for what happened, and said that I could only be the father of the child and not her boyfriend, if she decided to keep going with the pregnancy. She said she wouldn't interfere with my relationships and my life, but she ended up doing exactly that later on. I was already in a loving and stable relationship with someone else at this point.

    I discussed the pros and cons of raising a child with this woman and told her that what she ultimately decides to do is up to her (since she already tried to have an abortion without telling me and waited so long to let me know). My partner was supportive and we both insisted that this woman's body is her own and what she has or will do to is her own decision.

    A few months ago, she told me she had another abortion in a different country without informing her family. She comes from a background where abortion isn't legal and she told me her family was livid after finding out. I was told said she had complications afterward, and her friends and her family kept on messaging me about it. I told them that I couldn't be involved anymore because I am not her and I didn't make that decision for her. I understand that it was a difficult decision and it's not something to be taken lightly.

    Everything was fine until recently, her family found me on social media again and told me she had complications again and that they wanted me to help. Then her friends started stalking and harassing my current partner, who has nothing to do with this, on social media. Her friends are also spreading rumors about me in our common group of friends at school and blaming me for what happened to her. Should I lawyer up and send a cease and desist? Or should I consult a defamation or family lawyer?

    I also spoke with a doctor about the various things she has told me about her pregnancy in the past year and the doctor agrees that many of them seem fishy and manipulative.

    I would appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/thrownaway4acct
    [link] [comments]

    Husband’s family may be stopping us from buying a house?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    Please forgive any grammar/formatting issues. I'm a little frustrated.

    To try and keep a long story short, my husband's family has two disabled children. To help provide for them, his family maintains a level of poverty to keep the government assistance to take care of their children. This hasn't been an issue until recently. When my husband's grandma died, instead of part of the farm going in their names it went to my husband. Now his other grandma has moved to an assisted living center and the family is in the process of selling her house.

    Apparently, there was some sort of paperwork filled out 10 years ago that made her children the owners of her house. Now that they are selling it they switched my MIL with my husband so she can maintain their programs.

    My concern is we are trying to buy a house through first time home buyers and I fear his name being on a deed will screw that up for us. Is that the case?

    This is in ND.

    submitted by /u/pinnedwheel
    [link] [comments]

    [OK] 7 acres of land - 8 family members say they own it - 2 wills

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    My step-dad is part of a VERY country family of uneducated people with generational poverty issues. They live in a rural community with very intertwined county agencies and seats. No records are online. They are either filed in files or stored on microfiche (but even that might be too hopeful.)

    So his mother's 4 (living) brothers and sisters "own" a piece of land and they are pretty close to leaving this earth in the next 10-20 years. It is 7 acres on waterfront property on a remote, but desirable fishing lake with other resorts and state campgrounds near it. It also has a pre-state historic site on it that has not to be maintained, but is pretty intact.

    The good news is that the USDA has guaranteed loans to both develop it and fix the structures on the site. They are all hoarders so it is basically full of junk, four unsalvageable trailers full of junk, and garbage in the ravine nearby. It will take a lot to drag out the trash, grade, stabilize the road in, and get the project off the ground. And that was I do for a living between historic site preservation and developing outdoor programs.

    The law part:

    1. Meemaw (70s now and holding on) says her brother made a fake will that deeded the land to him. She says she has the actual will somewhere in her house which gave it to them to split, but they are hoarders. My parents have cleaned the house a bit, but there are layers to go through.
    2. Meemaw and Peepaw have been paying the PROPERTY TAXES on the land since their mother died.
    3. Brother/Uncle says he's going to will the land to his kids (50s-60s) disabled, poverty-stricken, and ignorant.
    4. For 15 years my step-dad's brother lived on the land in the good trailer while Meemaw paid the rent, utilities, and property taxes.

    So all I have to go on is that in the State of Oklahoma when a property has been abandoned you can claim it by paying off the back taxes. So if Meemaw has been paying the property taxes all this time would not the land be hers?

    As well we have squatting laws - the brother was on that property for 15 years, they are still storing stuff there of his. Uncle did not try to evict him or collect money from him.

    What can I do? These folks can't afford fancy lawyers and while the land is nice they'll never make any money off of it.

    I'd say maybe 60-80k for those 7 acres even if they could agree and find a buyer. If I helped my step-dad out here and I helped them develop it and set up a profit-sharing contract - they would profit till they die and that could be passed on to their kids.

    submitted by /u/BigFitMama
    [link] [comments]

    My mother is stalking me, can I get a restraining order? St. Louis, Mo

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 07:55 AM PDT

    I cut ties with my mother in 2017. Since then she has been in contact with my father (they are divorced and have been for 20+ years). I went no contact, and have blocked/cut ties with her entire side of the family. My father has also recently blocked her and asked her not to speak to him.

    She has however found out where my husband I have moved to and showed up at random times. Every single time she has shown up, we have been inside and able to ignore her. She leaves stuff on our front porch which I throw away (unless it's money, she previously tried to give me checks and I destroyed them without cashing them, now she just leaves cash). I have a daughter from a previous marriage and she leaves me stuff for her as well. I do not accept these things from her face to face. My father has had to call her to tell her to leave our property before as I was home alone and had major anxiety over confronting her.

    Recently since I had my second child, my mother has called my father and blamed him for her not being able to see her grandchildren (not his fault at all, their relationship is another story), and threatened to take me to court to see her grand babies. I googled Missouri law and the only one she would be able to apply any grandparents law to is my oldest as Missouri only applies them in cases of death or divorce, they "believe" if the parents are together and the grandparents aren't allowed to see the kids it's for a good reason. I'm not worried about her doing this for my oldest as my ex husband will also agree with me that she's bat shit crazy.

    However, the last time she dropped stuff off, we were outside. My mother in law, my oldest, and myself were cleaning the garage and playing in the driveway as it is summer and nice outside. She drove up and I didn't notice and she proceeded to talk to my oldest (who had no idea who she was, and I have since had a discussion with my oldest about taking to strangers). However, I'm afraid she now thinks that it's ok for her to stop by, am I in my right to file for a restraining order against her? Or should I start documenting and calling the police when she stops by to start a paper trail of trespassing? How should I go about this to make this stop legally?

    submitted by /u/efrey8907
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord claims he legally doesn't have to have my kitchen sink fixed

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    I unexpectedly had to move to a new city and was left scrambling for a place to live. My finance and I found a 2 bed 1 bath house that was within our budget and went to view it. The place was honestly kind of filthy and smelly on the inside (stains on the walls and carpets, dirt everywhere etc) but overall it was a really nice place for the price besides the mess. The landlord who showed it to us assured us if we decided to rent it would be cleaned up before we moved in. After weighing some other options, after a few days we settled on the house and signed the lease. Here's where the problems start. Our move in day rolls around and we arrive with a truck full of stuff to find the house in the exact condition it was when it was shown to us (still filthy). We called the landlord only to be told they had trouble purchasing cleaning supplies because of covid and couldn't rent a steam cleaner because of covid. The landlord told us legally it is in habitable condition and they were sorry for the inconvenience, but they could knock $75 of the first months rent if we cleaned it up ourselves. We begrudgingly agreed. We quickly found out a bit later that the kitchen sink was badly clogged. It did not drain whatsoever. After running it for only a few minutes it was almost overflowing and the water did not drain even overnight so we were forced to bail it out. The landlord didnt tell us about this when showing us the property. After calling again they said they would have someone come take a look at it. A few days later a plumber showed up and unsuccessfully tried to fix the sink for several hours. The landlord said they would send someone else out in a few more days. A few days pass and we hear nothing. Finally got in touch with the landlord again (he rarely answers his phone) to be told that legally they were only required to have one working sink in the property and since there was one in the bathroom they don't have to fix the kitchen sink. My kitchen is basically unusable and we have been washing dishes in the tub. I cant live like this forever but we signed a one year lease. Is there anything I can do? I am in the US in Mississippi.

    Edit: forgot to mention he also promised us a washer and dryer would be installed before we moved in and then he went back on that too. We didnt get it in writing so I'm assuming there is nothing we can do in that regard.

    submitted by /u/eithernight
    [link] [comments]

    My aunt lives in a toxic household and wants her son and his family to move out but they have refused; Location: Toronto, Canada

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 05:51 PM PDT

    I have a situation at a family members house where my aunt is the owner of the house and her son who I'll name reference as Tim lives with her with his wife and 2 sons.

    My aunt who's almost 60 years old planned on retiring soon and her plan was to eventually leave the house to her son and wife.

    Her son, Tim has always had an addiction with drugs and alcohol and it's gotten worse over the past 5-6 years. He would work for a month to get enough money to pay for his drugs and alcohol and leave for 2-3 weeks at a time and not come home and it put a huge burden on my aunt who was taking care of all the expenses on her own.

    The household has become very toxic because of Tim's action. Tim's wife has since threatened to divorce him for a couple years now but has never followed through. The relationship between my aunt and Tim's wife has also gotten worse as my aunt needs support to pay all the expenses as she's been doing by herself and went to Tim's wife for help but she's flat out refused to pay for anything.

    Tim's wife has become very toxic towards my aunt and has told her 2 sons to not speak to my aunt as they normally would and it's made my aunt very sad and angry about the entire situation.

    Tim is the root of the problem but Tim's wife has taken the situation a step further with some of her actions. We all feel that's it's best that everyone goes there separate ways but whenever the conversation is brought up with Tim's wife, she says she will never leave and is always very confrontational about the conversation. Tim is usually missing in these conversations but the one time he was there he stormed out.

    My aunts patience has run out and wants to come to a resolution quickly since her hard work has put a roof over their heads and if nobody appreciates that then she doesn't want to be living with them.

    My question is for everyone, is there anything my aunt can do to have them leave her house and finally have some piece of mind. The house is under my aunts name only.

    FYI, my aunt lives in Toronto, Canada

    Please let me know, thank you

    submitted by /u/argentine89
    [link] [comments]

    Ex asking for half of everything. 18 years after she left (BC, Canada)

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    My boyfriend of 5 years had been separated for 18 years without a separation agreement (which is not mandatory in BC). Her name is both in his house and his sister's house as well as a timeshare. He is now pursuing a separation agreement and she is asking for half of everything even though she moved out of the marital home within 5 years of them purchasing it. He paid all of the mortgage payments, maintenance and property fees with no contribution from her. When she left, she also left 3 children's behind, and never contributed towards them- he worked 3 jobs to support them. He also paid all of the kids' post secondary fees.

    What rights does he have?

    submitted by /u/laurieali
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help with Class C Misdemeanor Drug Paraphernalia Charge (for an empty mason jar) - Texas

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    Background Info: To start this off I am a 19 year old community college student and Texan. I have a clean criminal record with no infractions. I have had my license suspended for traffic tickets, but that was over a year ago and they are currently not on my driving record (as of December 2019) due to me having served my 3-month provisional license suspension/payed the fines, and receiving my adult (non-provisional) license (around 4 and a half months after turning 18).

    Okay, so yesterday my friends and I showed up to a local lake in my area about 40min away from where I live (a different county). We were smoking marijuana in the car before we showed up at the lake. When we arrived at the ticket box/entrance of the lake, a park officer (state police) told us the lake was at maximum capacity (due to covid-19) and we needed reservations to proceed through the entrance (we didnt have reservations and were unaware you could make them to attend a public lake). He also mentioned our car smelled like marijuana and he was going to search. During the search, my friend - the driver, claimed that the bag of weed (located within his backpack containing a smaller amount), empty joint container, grinder, pipe (all items [besides weed] were located within center console) were his belongings. When they searched my shoulder bag (located in the middle back seat where i was sitting in the car) they found an empty mason jar that had previously contained marijuana but was presently completely empty aside from the scent of marijuana and possibly visible particles stuck to top of jar, or maybe a thin layer of weed dust within jar. To my knowledge the only item I claimed responsibility for was the empty jar in my bag and that was the reason for receiving the paraphernalia citation. The driver claimed everything else in the car belonged to him and he thankfully received leniency by the police with only being cited for drug paraphernalia as well. I believe due to his honesty he dodged a potential arrest and the potential of receiving a worse misdemeanor charge for the possession of marijuana (which i guess theoretically could still bite him in the ass depending on trial?). After both the driver and I receiving our citations and the clearance of everyone else in the car, we were sent home. No one was apprehended thankfully. The ticket I received reads Class C Misdemeanor "Possession of Drug Paraphernalia" and has some other info including a requirement for me to contact court before the 30th of June, 2020.

    My questions are: Should I pay the ticket outright and take the charge on my record? (Shoot for getting it expunged at a later time or just being very safe and proactive with having it and notifying future jobs when I apply). Im not sure if this would suspend my license for 180 days and force me to apply for occupational/SR-22 to drive. I am unsure of the likelihood of this suspension occurring after payment of fine. Im a food delivery driver so this would potentially force me to quit my job if this happens.

    OR

    Should I notify the court that I will be waiting for my court date to attend (which will likely be pushed back 3-4 months from now, they are limiting the amount of cases being processed because of the pandemic) and see what happens there? Should I hire a ticket attorney that focuses on low level misdemeanors like this to help with the case? I dont know what to do. I have never been in any sort of serious legal trouble in my life and I have been completely distraught since this happened last night. I have not told my mom yet about anything because I do not know if this is something i am capable of handling on my own financially or even mentally. I live with my roommate in an apartment and we are expected to find a new place to rent in august when the lease ends so that I can continue my education and continue earning money at my job. I don't want this to prevent me from being able to live at an apartment or rent a house. I feel as if I am incredibly disadvantaged now due to my age and already receiving a criminal record. Im not sure if I am overreacting over this whole thing, but I feel like im doomed honestly.

    TLDR: I received a citation for drug paraphernalia over an empty mason jar with weed smell and dust, do I pay it outright and deal with it on my record? (Risk license suspension following loss of employment) or do I tell the court on the phone that I am going to wait until my trial. (Either hire an attorney to help, or dont hire one and see if charge is dropped and/or see if I can agree to do drug awareness class, monthly urine tests etc.

    For anyone who see's this THANK YOU for reading this anxiety ridden post and I am incredibly terrified whether I should or shouldn't be. Any personal testimonies that are similar or just simple advice for either me or my friend (the driver) is welcomed. All love.

    submitted by /u/radiatorheart
    [link] [comments]

    Messy divorce

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 09:40 PM PDT

    I live in Washington. My soon to be ex is in jail for allegedly strangling my son (1 of 2). I have filed for divorce and am selling my house, should make a nice profit. She is demanding 1600 a month but I only make 2300 a month. She cannot have custody of the children and can't pay child support. She hasn't had her official trial yet but could be facing 10 years for felony DV. I offered her 25k and a clean break, now she wants 50k and all of my stuff including my cat. In our 15 years of marriage she never had a job and spent most of her time in bed. She refused mental health care but has shown signs of bipolar and BPD. She strangled my son because he put his feet on the couch. I am just wondering does she have a leg to stand on? Could I lose everything? BTW I have no criminal history am retired military with zero incidents in my whole life. I even have positive endorsements from CPS and the police.

    submitted by /u/PowderedPenguins
    [link] [comments]

    [Virginia] I accidentally accessed the SSN and home address of an executive in my company because we share the same first name and I need advice on how to cover my ass.

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    This is fucking bonkers.

    My company is switching payroll/HR software to [Redacted] this week, so earlier today I got the little email and dialed in a personal and work email to the site and set up an account.

    My company does emails like firstname at company dot com, but if someone already has your first name you do firstname and last name.

    Unfortunately, my first name was already taken by a founder/executive at my company so I have my firstname, let's say Ethan, and unpronounceable last name as my work email.

    When signing up, I entered my work email and it sent a confirmation email to my work email. There's no way I typed in the wrong email because I got the confirmation in my email inbox.

    [Redacted, but rhymes with nippling] brought me to a "fill out your personal information" page, and it autofilled my first and last name based on my email.

    When I scrolled down, I noticed that the birthday was a random birthday from 1991. There was a random Social Security Number and an address in Texas.

    I've talked to OG Ethan before and know he's based out of Texas, so I was like "no way" and checked on the old HR portal and his birthday matched.

    I was in the room with my direct manager and told him immediately, and he confirmed that it was indeed fucked and filed a Zendesk ticket.

    The thing is, my mamager is a good dude and a great manager but not trained in personal privacy law or HR and I feel like this is both siginifcantly more urgent than a ticket sent to IT and also I'm not sure if I could get in trouble for confirming who's PII was visible.

    So, questions

    1) Should I contact OG Ethan via Slack and tell him I saw his PII and I'm not going to do anything with it but he should know? He's a reasonable dude, and I have a good reputation within the company.

    2) Am I in trouble for confirming it was him?

    3) Are there any regulatory agencies I should contact?

    4) I am not going to enter my info into this system, what should I do if my company makes me do it anyway? Are there any laws protecting me there? (I do expect my company to just fire Nippling they're very privacy oriented).

    submitted by /u/BlatantConservative
    [link] [comments]

    Inherited house with section 8 renter

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 04:56 AM PDT

    My mom recently passed away and she left me and my sister a house. The house is a two family and one side is rented to my grandma. My grandma receives her rent from section 8. The House is in Westchester county, NY. My mom had a will and was the sole owner of the house.

    We just started the probate process a few days ago and was told it can take at least 2 months before the executor of the will can receive authority.

    My grandma wishes to leave. The section 8 office sent her a notice to vacate letter to fill out. The bottom part required signatures of the owner/agent. Does anyone know how to proceed since we are in limbo until the executor is named.

    My grandma did not fill out the letter yet but wants to. She does not even know who to address it to since there is no real owner at the moment.

    We will ask the lawyer we hired for the probate process but he might charge extra if things get complicated haha. Right now our agreed fee is for a simple uncontested estate for me and my sister.

    submitted by /u/Pakid1989
    [link] [comments]

    (Kansas) My 73 y/o neighbors kids are taking advantage of her.

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 04:59 PM PDT

    Preface: My neighbor, who is like family, lost here his and due to cancer in late 2017. During his treatment she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Now three years down the line, she is the one going through treatments.

    Problem: My neighbor has two boys both in their 40s. The older of the two has 3 big dogs, one of which is a detriment to her health as the dog is mostly decrepit, barely able to walk and smells to high heaven. The dog controls her everyday to the point she eats in her car in the garage to avoid the dog. Now I feel that the dog is being neglected by her son, at her house, because of its condition. The fact that she is potentially immunocompromised due to chemo and radiation therapies, I believe she should not be the doggy daycare for her irresponsible kids. What if anything can I do in this situation? It's not my problem but I hate seeing her taken advantage of, especially when sick.

    submitted by /u/TheSagermeister
    [link] [comments]

    Help! My mother has been scammed out of over $50k in two months since my father has died! Power of attorney / Conservatorship questions.

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 08:40 PM PDT

    Thank you for ready. My father lost a long battle to cancer and died right before the new year 2020. My mother has had a very hard time.

    In her grief, two scammers have gotten over $50k out of her, that she has admitted to. It may be way over that.

    Scammer 1: pretending to build an orphanage in South Africa which my mother thinks she is funding.

    Scammed 2: stuck on a ship in Singapore and needs money to complete a task which he promises he is going to pay her back. My mother also thinks she is texting with his son who is stuck in a boarding school in London.

    Of course she is "in love" with both of them.

    We have proven to her time and time again that these people are not real, nor are their situations. She has admitted before that she knows but will not quit. It's like watching a drug addict.

    They own her. They have complete control of her. She is brainwashed. A shell of herself.

    How do I get her to give me and my brother power of attorney? We live in Georgia, USA.

    I have considered getting guardianship/conservatorship through the courts but I've talked to some who told me it's usually unsuccessful unless there is another condition such as dementia or autism, etc. Plus going that route may be difficult to spend that type of money when I have a family of my own I'm trying to support. Is it possible to win a case like that with no prior mental illness?

    Thank you for reading this and responding. I have no doubt that they will take everything.

    submitted by /u/FauxRealDough
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment