• Breaking News

    Monday, June 15, 2020

    Legal Advice - Neighbor reports my car to be towed every day despite having a permit.

    Legal Advice - Neighbor reports my car to be towed every day despite having a permit.


    Neighbor reports my car to be towed every day despite having a permit.

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 08:49 AM PDT

    I recently came back from college and I couldn't get a parking decal from my property managers office since they're closed (I live in Fort Lauderdale). However I was able to get into contact with someone and was given an online permit to prove that my car can legally park there. This is an official permit that I paid for doesn't expire until July 1. However my car gets towed EVERY 2 am and I have to pay the driver 60$ every morning despite showing him my decal. He says although the decal is official, the head of my HOA who lives in my neighborhood keeps reporting my car to get it towed and once he gets the order I have to pay him to get my car back. As much as I hate to be this person, I am the only black person in my community and he has made it clear that he doesn't like my family living there and had always given us a hard time since he moved in 3 years ago (my family has lived here for over 23 years). Is there anything I can legally do about this? Thank you.

    Edit: thanks for all the help everyone! I have no idea how to contact HOA or the property manager as my mother deals with them and every time the car was getting towed except the last time, she was the one to catch them and pay. I will be contacting the HOA with her when she gets home and will try and contact the property manager. My neighbor is a dick and and I will also be speaking to him personally when I get home. If legal action needs to be taken, we will definitely do so. Thank you!

    Edit: talked to the property manager and they said they rescinded my permit. I asked them why and they said that they aren't doing those anymore. I told them they never gave me any indication of that and they said they didn't not plan on giving me any notice.

    submitted by /u/Taylorgbb0
    [link] [comments]

    How do I go after the city and hired contractor for cutting down my certified wildlife habitat, garden/food forest.

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 04:20 PM PDT

    I got tagged for tall grass and garbage. I informed the Municipal Code Compliance Division (MCCD) it was an invasive grass coming in from county property. The plastic or "garbage" was to shade it out and kill it. The tag would come down. Nothing else said. Well, COVID-19 comes around I'm locked inside for two months since I'm at risk. I come back on May 17th to see a land clearance tag. I can't contact anyone at the office because they are closed too. MCCD hired a contractor to mow or clear the land back in March 2020. They had 10 days to clear the land by the signing judge. The lot was cleared May 28-29th 2020, no less on my birthday. The company that mowed the property is at fault now and no one in the office will tell me what company cut my forest. But, on top of all of this. The land is a certified wildlife habitat. A sign is posted in front of the property. I know for sure the mowers have displaced at least two rabbits, the deer no longer have cover to hide the kids, and I discovered a bird nest that is gone. The whole tree is gone! They also cut down my crops like lime, lemon, orange, mulberry, 3 way cocktail tree, plum, pear, olive, chestnut, peach, bananas, plantains, grapes, and sweetie pie blackberries to name a few. One of them was planted on top of my pet. Now I don't remember where I buried him. I don't have trees to see. Other trees I planted were oaks, willow, maple, Leland cypress, magnolia, sweet gum, elm, bamboo, and bald cypress. They cut down some trees and things but left them up in another location? They stole the infrastructure allowing me to grow food over parts of my pond that was growing blackberries, sour gherkins, cucumbers, beans, peas, and confederate jasmine. My compost worm tubs and blocks are gone. Now that everything is mowed or cut back... the invasive grass now has the ability to move further into my property. The grass is called cogongrass. It's one of the top ten invasive species in the world. It's sharp and animals don't eat it. University of Florida only suggest to burn, mow, till, or spray it with roundup. This only manages cogongrass. My shed handle is also broken and the ground has been compacted from the mowers.

    I really don't know what to do. I'm heart broken and distraught knowing that I spend $10,000's on this property to make it a little paradise for everyone and anything. It was all taken away from me in an instant.

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/Emplehnial
    [link] [comments]

    [IN] Can a University force a nearby (privately-owned) apartment complex to break leases?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    I signed a 2-year lease with a privately-owned apartment complex near a major university. The lease has not yet begun, but all parties have signed it. The unit I leased was in one of four buildings; the management company is now pivoting, saying the university is renting out that entire building. They said if I don't settle for a different unit in another building, they have the right to cancel my lease outright. They're claiming the university "forced" them to do it. I'm not buying that.

    I've reviewed my lease and don't see any rights like this mentioned. There's nothing in the contract about their right to break the lease, other than disasters, construction, or other things that would make the unit uninhabitable.

    It appears to me they're breaking the contract, but is there other Indiana law that might protect the landlord that I'm missing? It really took some time to find the perfect unit, so it'd be worth it to me to fight for maintaining it, if they're in the wrong.

    submitted by /u/Arrogant_ForumLayman
    [link] [comments]

    Am I screwed?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 06:25 AM PDT

    Long story short I was in a really bad domestic abuse situation, that I'm now getting out of. My husband has been evading the police for two months now, but he was arrested this morning. He has a record of similar things and was on a 3 year suspended sentence so he is more likely than not going to jail for a while. I co-signed his van with him(I know I'm an idiot), and have been waiting for his arrest so I could pick it up, trade it and my car in and roll the negative equity into a lease or something so it doesn't destroy my credit. Well the police won't release the vehicle to me, and advised me to call the bank to remove my name from the financing. The only option that they gave me was to do a voluntary repossession. I've fought so hard to have good credit and this will destroy it. Do I have any other options here??

    submitted by /u/fruitAndSalads
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] Neighbor planted fruit tree on my property, is claiming ownership of tree and fruit. Who is the legal owner?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    Writing on behalf of my aunt.

    My aunt bought a house in 2012. Her neighbor bought their home in 2007. The neighbor planted a mango tree on what they believed was their property line (no fence) about 3 feet from the wall of my aunt's house in 2007. Since my aunt moved in, the neighbor has been adamant and at times issued verbal warnings in person that the tree and fruit are the neighbor's and that "taking any fruit constitutes theft which she (the neighbor) will report to the police"

    WELL IT TURNS OUT, my aunt owns a 12 foot radius around her house according to the county records of her plot (or the official local government entity that oversees this ) so the tree is well within my aunts property.

    My question is, does confirming that the tree is planted in my aunts property mean that my aunt is now the owner of the tree? Also wondering how to address the increasingly direct in person "warnings" being issued by the neighbor.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cybercat132
    [link] [comments]

    FedEx worker stole my medication, FedEx is trying to play it off

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 05:05 AM PDT

    Location: New York City, this happened yesterday 6/15/20 Back story: I recently got diagnosed with borderline low testosterone. I have been taking trt and its really improving things in my life. But because of Corona, the dr shipped my meds.

    So yesterday the package was supposed to arrive. According to the dr office, i needed id and signature to receive the package. The package was supposed to arrive at 10:30am.

    At 10:34am a woman in a red shirt walked up my stairs with a box in hand, only came up half way, and walked back down. She was obviously supposed to be delivering aforementioned package. I ran outside to see if it was my package but she hopped in a regular-ish looking car and drove off. Confused as hell i went about my day.

    By 4pm i checked to see where the package was. Allegedly it was signed for and delivered at 1034 a.m. exactly when i saw the woman. I called FedEx and they told me the package was signed for etc. I told them that was not the case and was super curious as to why their "FedEx delivery person" didnt have on a uniform. Apparently she was a 3rd party contractor, because that's a thing now.

    She must have done that little slit the side open to see whats in side, saw a couple vials and some needles, and thought it was some meds she could take/sell.

    Fed ex is saying she delivered to the wrong house possibly when that would be impossible. I believe she gutted the box and was going to leave it empty but saw my landlords dummy cameras and got scared. Its a private house with only me and the landlord here. But its not like she rang their bell or delivered it to the wrong house, i seen her get in the car and drive off.

    Dr office wants me to pay $400 for new shipment (it was 2 months supply) and FedEx is just making shit up at this point. What do i do? Should i call the police?

    Edit: the backstory is important for two reasons 1. The meds are a schedule 1 or 2 controlled substance 2. If i wait long enough to take them itll completely fuckup my body and the therapy im going through.

    submitted by /u/breaking_my_balls
    [link] [comments]

    I (29f) stopped for gas; older female customer posts public video of me with the caption warning locals that I am a thief, "please share."

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 12:09 PM PDT

    [AZ] Coming back from a roadtrip, my boyfriend and I stopped for gas and needed to change clothes so we went inside to pay. We overheard the lady in line ahead of us going back and forth with the cashier before walking away.

    As she stepped out, she pointed at us and said the staff needed to search us NOW because she saw us stealing; she said the items were in bf's folded pants and she's calling the cops. We were stunned and I said a few choice words equating to "f*** off."

    The cashier said she must be upset that he wouldn't let her use a photo copied ID for a transaction.

    We figured it was nothing, but the lady continued out to the parking lot where she moved her car next to ours, then began circling our vehicle while recording. I flipped her off. She parked and I stopped behind her to snap pictures of her vehicle and plates, with no real ideas in mind other than to reciprocate.

    I thought it was funny at the time; tell the story to my friends, share the pics, laugh it off. My aunt however felt this was racially motivated, noted some info about the lady's vehicle and found her on social media.

    She then sends me a video that this woman posted publicly; a 50 second clip of us at the gas pump while she mumbles to herself that she "got us". It's accompanied by a paragraph caption that said she caught us stealing; we threatened her, and police have been notified. "Please share; these two are dangerous."

    I'm fine with a Karen being a little crazy, but it has 2k views and multiple shares. Our faces are not as visible, but several people are trying to decipher my vehicle plates.

    Can I even do anything about this?

    My friends found her name, city - even her phone number just through a basic search. I considered doxxing her with my own post, but is there a more legitimate way to approach this?

    Details re: possible race issue, I'm Hispanic, my boyfriend is native American, and the lady was white. This was entirely unprovoked and very bizarre.

    submitted by /u/dedskin
    [link] [comments]

    City council member said she could do whatever she wanted on my property [VA]

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 05:36 PM PDT

    So last Saturday I noticed a golf cart parked on my front yard (I don't know for how long). When I noticed there was a lady and -I believe- her husband, they said the golf cart broke down and they were going to come back for it. I said that this one time is fine but don't do it again because I don't want anybody's vehicles on my property. They said nothing and left. After a while they took their golf cart. Then someone knocks on my door, it's the lady by herself, who basically told me she has been working for the city council for over 12 years and she can do whatever she wants. At that point I lost it and called her an entitled b**ch. What are the repercussions?

    I also wanted to mention that she said she was doing city work (on a Saturday??), she didn't say what kind of work even though I asked. She said she's allowed on the side walk but her golf cart was on my yard.

    And I thought it was weird that a few days earlier I called the city council to ask about rules and regulations for a privacy fence... the lady on the phone sounded just like her and also rude to me, so I'm assuming it's the same person.

    submitted by /u/anotherskunk
    [link] [comments]

    Facebook won’t delete a fake profile of mine that bullies created more than 10 years ago

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 11:59 AM PDT

    [US] So I was going through hell during middle school because I was bullied a lot. Part of it was someone creating a fake Facebook profile of mine. It has my name (which is very rare) and my picture and some very derogatory and sexual stuff was posted in it (and is visible to everyone). I had gone to the police to report it when it was first created but since social media just started back then they had no idea what to do. I keep reporting it to Facebook at least once a year but it doesn't get removed. I really don't want this to jeopardize my future so I want to get it removed but I don't know what more I can do. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/Ariz0na1ceT
    [link] [comments]

    My friend wants to sue me to get "her" cat back... I've had the cat for 3 years now

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    I hired someone to run the digital side of my company, now he is holding my google business page "hostage"

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 08:44 AM PDT

    About a year and a half ago I hired someone to manage the digital side of my business (Facebook, Google, ads, etc... but not my website). we had a contract for a year but after a few months I realized he was doing a bad job but because of our contract, we were stuck. Towards the end of the contract, I emailed him letting him know we aren't continuing however after the contract ended he continued charging us. When we asked for our money back he refused claiming he wasn't given notice, eventually, we got our money back via the bank but he still had control over our Google business page which now has incorrect information (phone number and address) but we only figured this out about a month ago.

    Google arent much help and he wants ten thousand dollars for the page meanwhile we are losing customers because they can't get to us. Also during this ordeal, he spent some time in prison so we know he is a criminal. I also have all the related trademarks.

    submitted by /u/throwaway563636
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a falsely advertised gaming laptop, tried to get a refund but instead the store edited their website so it is no longer listed as 'for gaming'

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 04:47 AM PDT

    Hi, I made this account because I'm a bit shocked that this could happen.

    I'm from Australia and my laptop recently broke down so I went into a computer store to buy a new one. I told the store attendant my price range and showed them my old laptop, asking if they could recommend a better one since my old one is almost 5 years old. The store attendant then showed me a page from their website with a new laptop, and in the description was the phrase 'for gaming'. But it turns out it couldn't run games well and I took it back in the next day asking for a refund.

    The store manager told me I couldn't get a refund because the laptop has no resale value. I felt wronged so I proceeded to email the store's online enquiry email, and the manager was the one who ended up replying to me. After I pointed out that they had falsely advertised the laptop as one for gaming, and linked the URL with the description, he denied it and even took the website down, before editing it so that it no longer said 'for gaming' saying he would not provide a refund.

    I took photos of the site and saved it as a pdf before he changed it, and I also have our email history. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/throwawaylaptopLA
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] A friend snuck her cat into my home against my explicit wishes. My dog killed it.

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 08:50 PM PDT

    I posted an editorialized version of this in r/relationship_advice, but I'll stick to the facts here.

    My dog is cat aggressive. Before I adopted him, he'd killed 3 cats that entered his fenced in backyard. Animal control declined to do anything about it since he was on his own property every time. Ever since I adopted him, I have been hyper vigilant in making sure he never encounters a cat, and there have been no issues.

    I live in a house I inherited, and allowed a friend "Rachel" to live with me for $300 a month. She did not have an official lease and lived with me for 5 months. About a month ago, another friend "Ashley" needed somewhere to live temporarily, and I agreed she could live with me for free for 2 months.

    I told Ashley her cat was absolutely not welcome in my home, and explained that my dog had killed 3 cats. She argued with me about confining the dog and cat on different levels of the house, or slowly introducing the cat, but I was firm that she either find other arrangements for the cat or she wasn't welcome. All of this took place over text, so I have a paper trail.

    I thought we were on the same page, but when she showed up to my house, I wasn't home (but Rachel was) and they brought the cat in. My dog mauled it to death.

    When I got home, I was furious. I screamed at both of them to get the fuck out of my house and told Rachel her shit would be on my front lawn. I know I should not have said that, but I didn't really put her things on the lawn, and we arranged a time for her to come collect things a week later. I'm not sure if this was technically an unlawful eviction. I did not change the locks, call the police, or otherwise try to force her off the premises. I screamed to get the fuck out and she just left. She willingly gave me her keys to the house and didn't try to fight me on moving out.

    Ashley now wants me to pay $1500 for her to get a new cat, as she claims the one killed was a British Shorthair and was that expensive. She has contacted all my friends and family telling them about this, and has left me increasingly angry messages.

    I did have some damages to my home from the attack.

    How at risk am I for A) having to pay for this cat B) owing Rachel damages for evicting her

    What i'd really like here is to get a lawyer to draft up a letter to Ashley detailing that if she doesn't stop harassing me, I will sue her for the damages to my house + the emotional distress of having to dispose of her cat's corpse (which she left in my house). My main goal here is really just to be left alone though, and I definitely don't actually want to sue her.

    submitted by /u/throwra_deadcat
    [link] [comments]

    Hit a kids skateboard with my car (kid not on it) any legal ramifications?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    I was pulling out of my driveway this afternoon and saw two kids around the age of 15 traveling on their skateboard. I let them go by, and pulled out of my driveway.

    About 100 feet ahead is a train track. They attempted to get off their boards and one went careening toward my car as I turned onto the main road. I didn't see it and ran it over.

    I stopped. Rolled down my window, checked to see if the kid was ok, and apologized.

    The kid, with a heavy smell of alcohol on their breath, immediately demanded $50 cash to which I responded that I don't carry cash.

    Then showed me what looked like a perfectly ok board and demanded the $50 again.

    I just stated that I didn't have it and drove away as I was blocking traffic.

    As I drove away, they yelled "we have your license plate."

    I don't anticipate there are any legal ramifications as:

    1. I was not at fault

    And

    1. Didn't hit anyone

    Just wanted to check in here to make sure.

    Cheers.

    Location: California, USA

    submitted by /u/Altitude528O
    [link] [comments]

    (KY) Bought a house. Day of moving neighbor has destroyed yard. What do I do?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Just bought a house. Yesterday we did our final walk through before closing. Everything was perfect. We closed this morning and I was super happy. Loaded up the car with stuff to take over and discovered that the neighbor has had a new concrete back porch poured. Only issue is that its clear they or a contractor used a bobcat and it really tore up not only their property, but some of my yard as well.

    I'm gonna talk to the neighbor this afternoon. But I'm curious what my rights are and how I should approach it. Police report? Call the contractor? Who even is the liable party?

    I appreciate any and all advice.

    submitted by /u/zsEWIs
    [link] [comments]

    Want to sell co owned house - sister doesn’t want to play ball.

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 02:49 PM PDT

    State: Maryland

    So basically I've been living in this house after my parents died. I paid all the taxes and mortgage and whatnot. My sister lives in another state.

    Well I decided to take a career change and I'm moving to get a job in another state. I don't want to keep paying for it if I'm not living there, so to me it makes sense to sell it and split the profits.

    Well she's saying she might want to come back and would like our childhood home to be there - thing is she's not willing to keep up the payments. The house isn't in rentable condition so that isn't an option.

    Any ideas on if there's a way to get the sale to go through legally? I already have a buyer too. We're both on the deed as joint tenants. Otherwise it'll just go to foreclosure and that's a waste

    submitted by /u/Hitmaker00
    [link] [comments]

    Our property sits above the main part of a "show cave"; Have questions regarding our "rights" and other Real Estate related questions.

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    The property (1 acre w/ single family home) was purchased in 1980 and in 1988/89 the property next to us that had an opening to the caverns was purchased and developed into a tourist attraction and officially opened for business in 1991. During that time, not once did we sign any kind of agreements or paperwork of any kind that would grant permission to use the part of the cave that sits directly under our entire property. When my Dad tried to discuss this with the owner and even with the offices responsible for such in the county, he was told that none of the cave that they used or accessed was under his property. That was basically the end of it until lately, and now my Dad is looking to sell this property since he's retired and bought another place. Now we are once again asking ourselves, "how has this business been allowed to use our property to make the money they've made over the years and never had to have my Dad's permission nor give him a dime in return?" Yes, ONE opening to the caverns is on their land, but we have an opening on ours as well. At the bottom right-side of our property is a cliff that's about 100ft drop and there's an opening (approx 10x10 ft) where water comes out of. When you go in that way, there's even a property marker on the cave wall on the side of the main room of the cave system. The cave has never been professionally mapped and the map that was used to determine the caves placement was a hand-sketched "guess-timate" done by one of the original owners that started the project. The people that originally owned the cave don't own it anymore. The guy that owns it now bought the place at auction! Just a funny fact I threw in ... Anyway, I know that cave like the back of my hand and I know beyond a doubt that our property is over the main room and if it wasn't for that, this cave wouldn't be anything other than a couple of winding tunnels. We've not wanted problems with neighbors and my Dad isn't someone who likes to argue and he's been unaware HOW much of his side they use until recently. What should we be doing? I feel like things have been done in a "I'll scratch your back you scratch mine" sort of way. My dad even offered to sell the owner of the cave our place, but he keeps trying to lowball my dad every time. He's done that in order to keep from having to go through court or have issues that arise from feuding. But he's looking to sell and the next ones that buy this place may not be so passive. I feel like he should have to pay my dad in order to use his half. I want my dad to get what he deserves and he's a damn good man and even better dad. What should be done here before we sell?

    submitted by /u/ThaUnKnownOne
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord withholding 80% of the deposit, mostly for repainting due to (non-destructive) pet. Reasonable?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 07:08 AM PDT

    Tl;dr: Landlord withheld most of my deposit for a reason never detailed on lease.

    Colorado landlord recently sent back my deposit, but withheld 70% for "repainting walls/ceiling" (an additional 10% is withheld for lightbulbs, drip tray, and final clean which I had no interest in questioning). We did not do any repainting, did not smoke, and did not excessively damage the walls (a few nail-holes from hanging pictures). When asked about this, the landlord said that it was because we had a dog (which was permitted), and the walls needed the be primed/painted for the new incoming tenant.

    This was never mentioned on the lease. The need to prime/paint if the tenant had a pet was mentioned only in the move-out instructions, but no document explicitly states that the tenant has the financial responsibility for this.

    My understanding is that a landlord cannot hold the tenant financially responsible for normal repainting (wear and tear), but I cannot find any information as to whether a pet influences that rule or not.

    We did put up a small refundable pet deposit, but this is pretty much the only portion of the deposit that we got back (which was noted on the deposit return summary).

    The economic situation is tight and it would really help to get more of that deposit back. I likely would not have signed the lease there if I had known that so much of the deposit was never actually intended to be refundable. I've been a renter in a half-dozen different properties and never lost so much of my deposit before. Not sure if this is right or not. Can someone with a better understanding of renter's rights let me know if I'm being unreasonable or if there's a resource I can turn to for answers?

    submitted by /u/EnriqueShockwave10
    [link] [comments]

    Can my neighbor sue me for taking down a fence?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    I'm in Indiana. USA. I purchased a house last year and my back yard is fenced in. The neighbors have complained several times that a portion of the fence, which the previous owners installed, went over the property line. This is true. So I installed a new line of fencing that stayed within my property and took down the old portion. Now they're saying that since the old fence was on their property, it belonged to them and they're going to sue for destruction of property. Is this even possible since they complained about it being on their property in the first place?

    submitted by /u/Expert-Dress
    [link] [comments]

    I've been sexually blackmailed (even though I didn't do anything)

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 08:42 PM PDT

    Using a throwaway for this.

    So I was on a dating app and matched with a girl who seemed pretty legit at first. She asked me to add her on Kik (a messaging app), and I did, and we started talking. To be honest I was already suspicious of something happening, so I was on my guard. Eventually the topic of nudes came up, and she asked me to send a picture of myself below the waist. I politely declined her, but I played along with the conversation to see how things would turn out. She sends me a clearly doctored screenshot of our conversation, which made it look like I offered to "show me yours, I'll show you mine" and sent a picture. She put up pictures of my face and told me she would send the "screenshots" to my university and to the news with the headline "College student harasses underage girl". Obviously I did nothing of the sort and have screenshots to back things up. Strangely she didn't try to force me to pay her anything.

    I have screenshots of our conversation as proof of my innocence and have reported her account (and when I reported her the app said it would have the chat logs saved.) I'm sure nothing will come of this, but a part of me is worried. Even if I have proof of my innocence I would still have to hate going about trying to clear my name if this does actually get out. In the event that it does, I would of course call the police, but is there anything else I should do? I live in the US, specifically New York.

    submitted by /u/poopslinger99
    [link] [comments]

    I think a mechanic is trying to screw me over

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    I was driving a couple of weeks ago when every light in my car started flashing and something started beeping very loudly. A message appeared on my screen that said "Drive to nearest workshop without shifting gears."

    I turned into the first auto shop I saw. I turned off the car and neither I nor the mechanic could get it to start again. I left the car with the mechanic and asked him to call me with an estimate. He called me last week and said that he was really backed up and it would be another week at least. I said that was fine.

    Today he called me and told me there is water damage in my car and that it will cost $2,500 to fix. (I don't know how there could be water damage in my car, or if that's even relevant.) I told him not to do anything and that I was going to tow the car to another shop. It's only valued at $3,000 so I didn't want to put $2,500 into fixing it.

    He said that he already done most of the work and just had a little bit left to fix. When I said that I had asked him for an estimate first he said that he did give me an estimate and that I had agreed. He said that he told me it would be $2,000 when we spoke on the phone the first time. I KNOW this did not happen but I don't have any proof of it.

    What, if anything, can I do? I'm in Illinois by the way.

    submitted by /u/no_compearison
    [link] [comments]

    Part of Balcony Collapse

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 03:43 AM PDT

    Yesterday afternoon a part of my balcony collapsed.

    I live with my boyfriend in one bedroom flat with two balconies, and it's on the second floor. The balcony from our bedroom was looking that was going to collapse and I reported in December to my Landlord. Around February he finally sends a handyman to check and later in the month he visited the property with an engineer to evaluate the balcony from our bedroom. Next day, with no warning he came down to the flat late afternoon and made us sign a paper to avoid using the balcony. However, he did say was completely ok to use the living room balcony as was nothing wrong with that one. As the whole situation of coronavirus started we didn't have any more information about what was going to happen with the damage balcony, and we kept on paying the full rent too.

    In the UK, we've been having some hot weather and rain in the last weeks which I presume that worsted the damage of the balconies. But still looking safe to go for the living room balcony with no broken or moved tiles, we kept on using just to have a coffee, as advised by the landlord. Yesterday afternoon I went to have a coffee and when I was moving to sit down the floor collapsed and I only had time to hold the window step and screamed to my boyfriend to get me. I had half of my body in the hole and couldn't hold myself. End up with a swollen black eyebrow and eye, and with the right leg scratched and swollen as well.

    We informed our neighbours from bellow and called immediately the landlord. He arrived at the property 40 minutes later to check on us. But assumed straightway I was fine and start justifying why they havent fixed the balconies yet. He was really surprised by what happened because this balcony was the good one and mention we probably shouldn't be using it. He did also request no to pay the rent this month due to situation.

    My question is whether I should do anything about what happened? or should I request a reduction in my rent forward? as the reason why we choose this flat was because of the balconies.

    My injuries are not serious, the leg injury is painful and the swollen black eye is giving me headaches, but this could have resulted in something worst and I don't know whether I should have another attitude about all this?

    submitted by /u/balcony_collapse
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord Scheduled An Open House, I’m at Home with Coronavirus-like Symptoms.

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    I live in MA.

    I live in a building that was seized for code violations, auctioned off, then cosmetically rehabbed and tenanted. I have two neighbors. I know they're both working right now, they say they're paying rent. I am also paying rent.

    My landlord sent notice a couple weeks ago that the supers would be coming in to do some work. A little later he sent someone in to take photos. Then an inspection. Last week he started giving tours to prospective buyers.

    A couple days ago he asked me about several more times for tours. I gave him the ok. Last night I texted his agent, through whom he arranges all this, and reported that I'm feeling a little ill, and I want to wait a few days and attend my symptoms. I encouraged him to reach out to the people he's given tours to so they can attend their health and seclude themselves. I am worried I may have coronavirus.

    This morning I was woken up by the sound of people wandering through my apartment. I told them what was happening, and asked them to leave. I sent a message to my landlord's agent and asked what's going on. He said 'sorry they went to the wrong unit.' The guy conducting the tour said not only had he not heard from the fellow I've been messaging, but that there's an open house scheduled today, and indeed people were already parked and showing up in groups.

    Aside from another couple who insisted on coming in after I'd openly repeated the situation and locked the door, the crowd has left.

    At this point I am gobsmacked by the irresponsibility at play here. I understood that the landlord was in the business of buying, tenanting, and flipping buildings. I didn't realize he would be actively pursuing this during a global pandemic. Now I'm wondering how many people he's gotten sick, and if maybe I'm one of them. What do I do?

    submitted by /u/sade_today
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] UPS just left packages at front door and they were stolen. UPS did not request signature because of COVID. Now they are denying my claim because the delivery was "signed" with COV.

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 09:43 PM PDT

    I had most of university stuff shipped home via UPS last month, computer, etc among other things. I clearly indicated a signature was required, and when the packages were dropped off at their pickup location, there were no problems.

    The total declared value of all my stuff was around 4k, computer, school stuff, clothing, etc.

    Three weeks ago in the middle of the day UPS just dumped my packages in-front of my parents house, no signature, no nothing. I was very confused because the order went from "In Transit" to "Delivered" skipping all the middle steps. Their app has the signature of "COV" (Which means the driver did not request a signature cause of COVID).

    By the time we got home all of my stuff had been stolen. I filled a police report, i made a claim with UPS. UPS then told me that delivery drivers are not accepting signatures for packages.

    Yesterday i got a response from UPS denying my claim stating that the package was signed for, and they will not discuss this further. However the signature is COV, which means the delivery driver signed it stating they are not collecting signatures due to COVID. I have badgered and badgered and badgered all day today, and have gotten nowhere.

    submitted by /u/UpsHelp19201231
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment