• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 16, 2020

    Legal Advice - Told today I must pay back $55,000 by July from a 2009 college scholarship. It required 3yrs of civil service for the federal govt. Govt eliminated my job 1.5yrs in without telling me, while I was on leave without pay to handle wife's sickness (now 100% disabled veteran)... I can't pay. Need help

    Legal Advice - Told today I must pay back $55,000 by July from a 2009 college scholarship. It required 3yrs of civil service for the federal govt. Govt eliminated my job 1.5yrs in without telling me, while I was on leave without pay to handle wife's sickness (now 100% disabled veteran)... I can't pay. Need help


    Told today I must pay back $55,000 by July from a 2009 college scholarship. It required 3yrs of civil service for the federal govt. Govt eliminated my job 1.5yrs in without telling me, while I was on leave without pay to handle wife's sickness (now 100% disabled veteran)... I can't pay. Need help

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    Location: Federal? Federal programs at play, across two states. FL was where it started. Posting on behalf of my husband. We will both be replying:

    I had a full-ride scholarship to college, but then found this program and was accepted to it. They paid for school, a stipend, and additional training, providing me a job after college. I took terminated my full-ride for this better opportunity, and was required to work for three years as a civil servant after graduation. I made it halfway through my commitment before the following happened:

    My wife was active duty military at the time and is now a 100% disabled veteran. She moved to her new duty station while I was finishing my commitment in FL, preparing to apply for and move jobs. She suddenly got sick, so I went on leave without pay (LWOP) to be with her and handle the issues. My scholarship program told me this would be fine, as I could switch my commitment to a new office once I found employment elsewhere. At worst, if I was unable to secure employment, I could terminate my LWOP status and resume working for my current office again without problem. I had 12 months to do this, so it didn't seem concerning to us.

    A month after I'd moved, the hiring freeze began, and multiple people were being furloughed, etc. After about nine months, it was looking bleak. I contacted my current office and told them I was ready to come off of LWOP, and at this time they informed me they had re-coded my position, and I could no longer return to that job. I wasn't able to find other employment when my 12 months was up, and I was forced to withdraw from the program. The person I worked with at the scholarship office didn't seem concerned about them trying to collect on me since these were highly extenuating circumstances.

    This was all in 2013. Fast forward to 2019 and I get a notice that this "debt" was being reviewed, but I could appeal it. I gave them the stack of communications outlining the events throughout that year.Today, I got a notice that they denied my appeal and I owe $55,000 in two weeks.

    So my questions are:

    1. I've been told it was illegal for them to do away with my job while on LWOP, as it's rightfully mine during that time. Is this true? My job was removed without notice and without my knowledge.
    2. I worked half of my commitment; this debt is not pro-rated. Are there regulations limiting what can be collected?
    3. What kind of attorney would I begin to look for with this situation?
    4. I've contacted my congressman's office, put in a presidential comment from the whitehouse website, and I'm calling OPM's General Counsel.... of course COVID is going to slow down this process greatly. Are there other organizations I should look into?
    5. If it comes to this... what kind of damage might we do to ourselves if we let this debt go to collections and pay off only the portion we can pay?

    This was not my fault, and I definitely can't come up with 55K in two weeks, even if I refinance my house to come up with it. Please help.

    submitted by /u/mydepression1
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Can I "give up" a disabled adult to the state? If so, how?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 03:11 AM PDT

    The adult in question is my brother.

    He is mentally retarded, nonverbal, illiterate, has the mental capacity of a 1-year old, is incapable of walking or feeding himself, requires adult diapers, and needs multiple medications administered daily to keep him alive due to his frequent seizures. If left unattended, he will reach into his diaper and smear his waste all over the floors and walls.

    I saw what having to take care of him did to my parents. Everyone in the family admits he destroyed their marriage and forced my mother to spend the rest of her life living off government benefits unable to get a job due to the constant 24-hour care he needed. My mother is very old now and it's only a matter of time before the burden becomes mine.

    Nobody wants him. I am his closest living relative and I don't want him either. How would I go about giving him up when the time comes?

    Edit: I would like to thank everyone. Your information was very helpful. My mother was always concerned about what would happen to him should she die. I will inform her about these facilities you mentioned. Hopefully she will be able to get him placed. She deserves some rest and relaxation in her remaining years, and hopefully we will be able to make up for lost time.

    To add on to what others said earlier, yes, he is currently not my burden yet, but obviously society (and all my relatives) would "expect" me to take care of him should my mother pass. Many people would morally "shame" me for not doing the "right thing," but they just don't know how difficult caring for such people is. Imagine having to worry whenever you use the bathroom or take a shower if there will be human waste smeared all over the floor when you come out. Imagine never being able to hold a job or develop a skill/hobby because you don't have a single free moment. Imagine never being able to have guests over or even being able to go out and socialize, letting all your relationships wither and die. Imagine waking up to a massive mess every single morning. My life would completely fall apart and whatever remains would revolve completely around him. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Judge me all you like, but I've lived like that before, and I refuse to ever do that again.

    Edit 2: Thank you everyone for your support. You have been very helpful.

    I know some people may think I'm being "heartless," but the fact is I would not be able to take care of him. The reason I have been thinking about this situation recently is due to my new daughter, who I am happy to say is healthy. My concerns are for the well being of my own family, and I refuse to risk her safety or throw away her chance at a normal childhood. A household with a thrashing, mentally disabled man would be no safe place for a baby, and I would not be able to care for her properly if I constantly had to supervise my brother 24/7. He will never get better, and my daughter has a bright future ahead of her. The choice is clear, and I don't regret my decision at all.

    submitted by /u/No_Control_788
    [link] [comments]

    Pregnant and being charged $2,664 for being unable to provide “extensive cleaning” to my apartment complex.

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    I live in Alabama and I'm facing charges with an outstanding balance. The reviews for most tenants have told horror stories regarding the exact same issue when they've moved. I'm nearly 28 years old, have been on my own since 18, and HAVE NEVER been fined anything after moving from a rental property so to have such an outstanding bill is beyond me. They are unable to produce any proof for these charges as of right now. I've asked for photos of the damage as well as all the legal documents I signed prior to move in and I've been pointed in every direction except the one that gets me answers. What I've been told is that I'm being charged for "walls, floors, porch, new refrigerator, closets, bathrooms" etc. no detail whatsoever except "drip pans and primer" have been provided. PLEASE HELP

    submitted by /u/kevanskt
    [link] [comments]

    Co-worker who suffered heart attack will be fired if we don’t donate time.

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 08:44 AM PDT

    I work for the street department in a small municipality in Ohio. 2 weeks ago one of our co-workers had a heart attack on the job. Thankfully the other three of us were right there and were able to preform cpr on him until the medics arrived. He survived and is home now. This guy has been on the job for 3 months and has built up barely any leave time.

    Now, 2 weeks later, we get a letter from our HR saying they are allowing us to donate our built up leave time to him. What the letter doesn't say, but our boss told us, is that if he doesn't get 140 hours donated to him by Thursday he will be fired and lose his benefits which include full coverage insurance.

    So I guess my question is: is this legal for them to do? He doesn't have enough time built up so they are firing him. But the man had a heart attack?

    submitted by /u/Hazardcreek
    [link] [comments]

    My boss fired me for reporting animal cruelty off-the-clock. What can I do? VA USA

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 09:55 AM PDT

    TLDR: Boss referred me to a woman for primate care with the caveat that I shouldn't report her. I called animal control on her. Boss fired me for reporting her.

    Hey r/legaladvice — thanks in advance for your help. This tale is convoluted so bear with me. I'm all mixed up about what I should do.

    I'm an animal care professional specializing in primate enrichment.

    On May 1 I started my dream job as head primate keeper at a private zoo. I received ample accolades and compliments as I spent the first couple weeks completely upgrading their care and facilities, which were 20 years overdue for proper attention.

    On May 12 my boss AKA the owner of the farm/zoo, who is a (human) doctor, informed me that a colleague's patient needed surgery and required help to care for her personal primate collection while she recovered. He asked if I could be that caretaker. I said okay. He gave me the patient's contact info. His caveat for the referral was that I "DO NOT report her" — a sentiment that caught me off guard. I said "I'm who you call so you don't need to be reported. I'm a fixer and a doer, I help out."

    Over the next ten days, I reached out frequently to this patient, a woman we'll call B, to try and set up a "meet-and-greet" so I could receive care details for her primates. She again and again rebuffed my offer, stressing that she'd rather "leave them alone with extra biscuits for a few days". I restated each time the inadvisability of such a plan and my objective to help them properly as she recovered.

    On May 25, I received an address, but my offer to come and visit was again rebuffed. I persuaded her sternly to allow me to come and help. She reluctantly allowed it. At 2pm that day I met her at ONE of her houses, in a county where primates are legal to keep. The primates were in extremely subpar and inappropriate conditions, but the house was relatively clean, and I arranged ways to help improve their conditions (bring bigger cages, regroup a few individuals, add enrichment.)

    Most crucially, I confirmed several times that she would bring her other 2 primates down from the OTHER house in another county, where they were illegal, so that I could care properly for them all.

    On May 27, the day of B's surgery, I arrived at House #1 only to discover it exactly as we had left it — without the two capuchins she had said she would bring. Knowing them to be young babies, whose owner was in hospital for at least 3 more days, I became extremely concerned. I used my investigator skills and some quick googling to figure out where the other house was, and got confirmation from B in the hospital that it was okay for me to go there and check on the other primates. She said she had just wanted to "leave them there".

    Well, what I found at that other house was truly a nightmare. Nothing compares except maybe the worst of the worst horror films. A condemnable death house, without floors, covered in thick cobwebs, TINY cages without food or water with animals near death inside, surrounded by decades of corpses dead from neglect, never removed; goats suffocating locked INSIDE the house in rooms full of feces.

    Obviously to save the animals and do the right thing as an animal care professional I had to call the authorities — and animal control soon seized the animals & primates from both houses.

    My boss was furious to hear this, and deemed it a "matter of trust", because "we could have handled the situation ourselves" — by cleaning up this woman's crimes. I disagreed.

    On May 30 my boss called me at home to say "thank you for taking such good care of my animals. Unfortunately I can't have you working here anymore because I don't trust you. I don't trust you because I told you not to report her, and you reported her."

    I have been cooperating fully with the authorities, and I am testifying as both an expert witness and the key witness in two upcoming (delayed) seizure hearings. My photos and videos will be the majority of evidence displayed by the prosecution.

    I was also confidentially informed by involved deputies that the commonwealth attorney is a misogynistic animal abuse apologist who is planning on dropping all charges since they're being brought by women, and serve to assist animals, and will criminalize a government employee (B). I was urged to "leak the story to the press", which I have done; I was also told to "get animal rights organizations involved to put pressure on the commonwealth attorney".

    I am holding off on writing my statement to the local news channel, as they will put me on camera, and I'm not sure how much about my prior job I should share. I have hesitated writing to animal rights organizations for the same reason.

    What complicates things: my (now ex-) boss's son is taking the stand to testify against B, too, and intimates that I will get my job back after the hearings "blow over" — as long as I don't "publicize [my] firing".

    (Also — two of the monkeys in egregious conditions were sold to B by my boss, as well as at least one of the younger primates found dead. I am certain my ex-employers do not want those facts known.)

    However, I'm a single mom and a student, and absolutely broke. I have spent assloads in gas driving all over the state for this case. I don't qualify for unemployment because of the brief time I worked there. I don't want to jeopardize getting the job back, ultimately... but also, I don't know what the right thing to do would be. I reached out to my local Commonwealth attorney for victim-witness assistance programs, employer intercession services, and financial aid possibilities, but they've been zero help.

    Should I make a big stink about being fired for reporting this person? Is there legal action I can take? I don't have money for a lawyer, so if I need to consult with one, I'd have to find a pro bono attorney. I also don't know if they need to specialize in animal law or not or how arduous it will be to pin down the right person for this problem?

    Ideally, if I could reach some kind of settlement to help me financially, i'd like to seek it & justice for my wrongful termination. Then I could feel comfortable bringing press attention to this story in full, and not just a fraction of the story.

    All thoughts welcome.

    submitted by /u/maaalicelaaamb
    [link] [comments]

    I rent a 7 bedroom house in Texas, my landlord has cameras in all of the common areas. Is he allowed to use those cameras to constantly question me about things (i.e. did you bring a drink in your room, did you smoke, ect.) What is the line between camera devices for security or tenant harrassment?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    The least does say " The premise is under by security cameras in all common areas" but he texts and emails constantly about every little thing. Its like he goes through the footage daily looking for lease violations. Hes also been listening to the audio portion of our private conversations. Frankly it's creepy as hell.

    I signed a 6 month lease, and he is not letting me get out of it without losing my deposit. Please help.

    submitted by /u/Blip-in-the-Cosmos
    [link] [comments]

    Someone euthanized my daughter's horse without our permission.

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 11:45 PM PDT

    This is in the US, it may hit the news but I'm intentionally being vague as to respect the parties involved if we can resolve the issue out of court.

    We have a few horses stabled at a local equestrian center. They went through a change in ownership and we have been vocal about some of the changes. Last week my daughter's 4 Morgan died suddenly. The horse had a recent checkup with no issues. Morgan's are usually a very hearty breed so it's sudden death was suspicious so our insurance company ordered an autopsy. We had some issues with the equestrian center wanting to dispose of the animal but I think it was purely the fact that they aren't set up for storing dead horses long term.

    The autopsy came back today and the horse tested positive for a number of drugs commonly used to euthanize horses. This creates a number of issues.

    A. Who killed the horse? This is now an animal welfare issue. Was it a mistake somehow or was it intentional?

    B. What do I do about our other horses? We have a contract but I think under the circumstances I am willing to pay the cost to break it. I asked the insurance company if I can move them to another stable and they said okay. I don't know if police are involved yet.

    C. Should I engage an Attorney yet or wait for the insurance company to finalize their investigation? I'm definitely going to sue the stables for allowing this to happen. My daughter is devastated she got that horse from her grandfather shortly before his death. Should I also be concerned about potentially being investigated by the insurance company?

    Who the fuck kills a horse?

    Update: I have retained a lawyer referred to me by my business lawyer. He will be my point of contact for the insurance company and the stables. He is reaching out to the stables to inform them I will be removing my horses for their safety pending the ongoing investigation.

    My horses will be going home this evening. Some of my daughter's friends have stepped up and offered to take care of our horses until we can get them boarded. They are reliable and even offered to transport the horses.

    The lawyer said it is likely my insurance won't pay for the loss of the horse. We will need to file suit against the equestrian center. He's read the preliminary report from the insurance company and the toxicology report. I misunderstood the terminology when they first told me the results. I was truly upset about the horse, so I'm not surprised I misunderstood. It appears the horse died from ingesting tranquilizers and other medication. It is possible it was accidental but also possible it was malicious. The equestrian center has a capacity of over 50 horses so they have an on-site vet and they do stock drugs, we don't know if their stock is the source but it's likely.

    Thanks for everyone who's been supportive. This is a nightmare.

    submitted by /u/LuckyTheLurker
    [link] [comments]

    I was bit by a dog while uninsured, hospital bill of $12,800. What steps should I take when speaking with the owners of the dog? [MN]

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 09:43 AM PDT

    On June 6th I was bit by a dog. The dog latched and pulled fatty tissue and part of a tendon out of my lower arm, so both me and others who witnessed the attack thought an ER trip was needed (urgent cares were closed, this occured about 9PM). I ended up getting 6 stitches and tetanus shots (couldn't find records of dog being up to date until later).

    The owners have been responsive and stated they would pay for the bills before I went to the hospital.

    I have received the bill for $12,800. They are a middle class family, but don't have this kind of savings. What steps should I make to ensure I don't end up liable for this cost? It's tied to my name and I don't want to be left empty handed, so would like to start by being proactive from the beginning.

    Should this utilize lawyers, if so what kind? Notarized payment plans? I have no idea where to even start and feel overwhelmed.

    I live in Goodhue County MN, the bite and dog owners reside in Wright County, if that matters. Attack occured in their house by their dog, and dog did have a history of bites and was supposed to be muzzled at all times.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/MinnyKitty
    [link] [comments]

    Florida, my employer is making fake social accounts to discredit anyone who claims they got covid-19 at work

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 06:56 AM PDT

    I work in Florida and my boss is making fake social media pages and creating fake lab reports to make people believe that someone is faking a covid infection to slander his business. A couple of employees tested positive for covid-19 and they admitted that they worked while being infected. Now a few of our customers were also infected but my boss made a fake account pretending to be one of the employees to try and discredit the actual infections, he had me help him. My boss is still hosting events with employees complaining that they feel ill. He brushes it off like they are hungover because he let's us drink while we work. Because of my boss faking a lab report to show a positive test, nobody believes that this business has a high infection or anyone that comes forward.

    My question is if I am legally liable for people getting infected and helping with the cover-up? If I did not cooperate I was threatened with job loss

    submitted by /u/GuiltyOMagic
    [link] [comments]

    How can I report an american who is working in another country who may be a danger to children?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    Several years ago I made a horrific mistake and I'm worried that a former friend may now be abusing children. I found childporn on a friends computer and I made the wrong choice in not calling the police immediately. I confronted him and tried to get him into therapy, which he refused. He is now working as a school teacher in another country (Japan) but is from America. We were both abused as kids and I know I made the wrong choice in not reporting it. I have zero evidence and I know that my report won't be believed, but keeping this a secret, knowing he may be hurting a child is something I can't live with any longer.

    We are no longer friends and I don't have specifics other than that he is working as a teacher somewhere in Japan.

    How/where would I even begin to go about reporting this?

    Thank you for any advice

    submitted by /u/ThrowawayMistakeHelp
    [link] [comments]

    8 y/o boy going around shooting little girls with bb gun. Cops not doing anything.

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    I live in a small town in Oklahoma. Our cops are getting lazier and lazier. Three were fired recently for not responding to a call and now I was informed of a boy going around and shooting girls with a bb gun who were just playing outside. Face, chest and leg. The police didn't respond.

    There was protests outside city hall yesterday because the City Council is wanting to fire the police and hire new ones. Which would be good, but I was wondering if county might have some jurisdiction in town to where we could call them instead? Since police are not doing their job, until and hopefully the city council is successful.

    I have a little girl and I am scared to let her play outside at the moment due to the incident and knowing we would not get any help.

    Edit: Also should mention and stress how SMALL this town is. Nothing happens and police just sit around while on duty or go to friends house and chat.

    submitted by /u/ezmayalice
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for dealing with neighbors who knowingly cut down hardwood trees on my property (CT) and a very shady tree company that did it.

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 01:54 PM PDT

    My property line is somewhat annoyingly situated with the neighboring driveway right up against (and in some places crossing over) onto our lot.

    There is an easement for the entire entrance to the neighbor's driveway, but the previous owner had moved the rest of the driveway right up to and possibly slightly over the property line. In spite of this we never had an issue with the previous neighbor and have not had the property re-flagged in a long time.

    We now have new neighbors who moved in about a year ago and since day one they have played fast and loose with the property line. They frequently walk into the wooded area that is behind our house, dumped their yard waste into our woods, and have done annoying but (as far as I know) legal things like parking their cars unnecessarily on the verge/strip between our lot and the road (which we maintain), killing the grass.

    Recently I awoke to a tree company in their driveway cutting down trees on our property. They removed 20+ young (3-4 year old trees) and at least four ~60 ft tall trees that might have been about 10 years old.

    I confronted both the homeowner and the tree care company when I saw what they were doing, and actually had to threaten to call the police to get them to stop cutting down trees because of how confrontational the tree care company owner was acting. Unfortunately the damage is already done and now we have a great view of their driveway from our house when it had been previously obstructed by small trees.

    I do not want to sue my neighbor. I don't want to have to call the police on them. I am concerned that they will continue to cross the property line and continue to cause issues, so I want to respond in a way that protects me legally in case they continue this kind of behavior but is also restrained/as reasonable as possible.

    I documented the tree cutting with photographs. I am paying to have the property line re-flagged. I am planning on putting up a no-trespassing sign along the property line once that is done. I am considering a fence. What else should I be doing?

    The tree company that they hired seems like a fly-by-night operation, so I don't think I can do much to them. It is an LLC housed in a residential address that is currently for sale. It is 5 years delinquent in its state company filings. They were using department of public works vehicles from a neighboring town to cut down the trees (these were new looking vehicles with clear town badging). I called the town to ask if they rent their vehicles and they do not. I informed the person I spoke to at their public works department that their vehicle was cutting down trees in a neighboring town and they seemed uninterested. I am assuming that I will get no money from this tree company if I wanted to pursue them, they don't seem to own much and I assume they are a cash operation.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/standing_water
    [link] [comments]

    I’m being accused of plagiarism in an online class, with a student I’ve never talked to, and I’m being failed.

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    I posted this on another sub but didn't really get much info.

    Long story short I wrote a 3000 page paper on a movie we were assigned to watch and in the paper I had to critique it and say how it was related to what we were learning.

    I wrote it. Got an 88% and my professor gave me all positive feedback.

    2 weeks later I get a message on moodle(the Online class website my college uses) from my professor claiming I committed plagiarism because my paper matched another students by 88%.

    I have attempted to reach out to the professor for more info, for this other students paper so I could compare, for any reason this could happen.

    I reached out to my guidance counselor and he hasn't said much. I've reached out to this other student and she hasn't responded.

    Now my professor emailed my guidance counselor with me cc'd saying she found me guilty of plagiarism and normally if a student admits to it she will allow the student to redo the paper, but because I didn't I am being failed.

    This is stressing me out big time. Any advice from anybody for what I could do possibly do? They really aren't giving me any chance to explain myself or communicating with me correctly or directly.

    submitted by /u/cantthink278
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Female ex-coworker won't leave me alone

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 03:06 AM PDT

    Hi, all. I don't know what information to include or not include because I don't know what's relevant and the whole situation makes no sense, so this might be long. I (26F) worked at a gym in Northern California prior to COVID-19. I am still employed there, but not currently working as the gym has not yet re-opened. I have worked at this gym for over a year.

    Earlier this year, my supervisor hired a new employee (31F). I had very limited interactions with her, but we occasionally made small talk if our shifts overlapped.

    One day, I got a message from her on my instagram account in the "message requests" section. We had such few interactions (we rarely had overlapping shifts) that it didn't even register with me who this person was and I didn't respond.

    The next day at work she asked me why I hadn't responded to her instagram message. I was very confused, but then I put two-and-two together and realized the message in my requests must have been from her. She asked me to add her back and I said sure and did it. I thought it was kind of odd, but figured maybe she wanted to keep in touch in case she needed a shift covered in the future.

    Despite rarely talking to me at work, she would frequently message me on instagram. At first, the conversations were pretty surface-level, but then she abruptly started telling me about how she was raped as a teen, how she's diagnosed with BPD, how she doesn't believe in medicine, how she practices witchcraft, how she's recently converted to Islam, how she hates her parents, etc. Some of the things she was sharing with me were so intense that they aren't things I would tell anyone (maybe a therapist?), let alone tell a virtual stranger. I felt bad for her and figured maybe she was lonely and in a bad place and needed someone to talk to, so I would respond with encouraging words every once in a while.

    Maybe 1 or 2 months after she was hired (don't remember exactly), she suddenly stopped showing up to work and our supervisor informed us that she had been terminated (he didn't say why) and that they'd be replacing her soon. I didn't think anything of it.

    After she was fired, things started getting really weird. She started taking screenshots of my modeling photos from my instagram and sending them via e-mail to my boss. For context, these are fully clothed fitness modeling photos and they aren't inappropriate at all. Then she started sending me really cryptic messages that made no sense. I don't even know how to describe them...they were like fragmented thoughts or tangents. When all the BLM protests started in our city, she started sending me pictures of George Floyd, dead, with captions like "we don't forget", "Allah is not merciful", "you stand for nothing" and "you're next". For context, I am not white and neither is she. It made no sense and was very disturbing.

    She then started commenting on all of my instagram posts (including old ones) saying things like "slut", "whore", "performative ally", "watch your back", "white guilt" etc. As I said, I am not white and there is no way I could be mistaken as white which just added to how weird the whole situation was.

    I decided to just ignore her because I didn't know what to do. When I started ignoring her, she ramped up the e-mails she was sending to my boss at the gym. I don't know exactly what she sent him because he never showed me, but I know they were screenshots of pictures of me and screenshots of the conversations she and I had on instagram. My boss said there's nothing inappropriate in any of the screenshots. I guess because she couldn't get a rise out of my boss, she somehow found the name of the modeling agency I'm signed to and started sending e-mails to them with screenshots of my instagram. She also sent a few e-mails accusing me of "talking to Trump supporters at the gym" - I have NO IDEA WHAT SHE'S TALKING ABOUT.

    This has all been going on for about 4 months now and she keeps finding ways to message me: she sends e-mails to my modeling agency and my boss at the gym, she sends e-mails to my personal e-mail address, she found my twitter and started commenting on all of my tweets, she messages me on instagram (even after I block her, she'll make a new account), etc.

    The reason why I'm writing here is because this is really getting scary. I think this person is completely unhinged. Last night she sent me an e-mail with just an attachment. The attachment was a video of her staring into the camera, not blinking, while twirling her hair in her fingers. She had captioned the video "my makeup is better than yours".

    I am a young female living alone in a large city in California away from my family. I am starting to get really scared that this person isn't going to leave me alone. She is clearly not well mentally and I'm worried she will start stalking me in real life, not just online. I have responded to her instagram messages twice asking her to please stop messaging me. I have been taking screenshots of everything she sends me.

    My question is: can I get a restraining order against her at this point? or a cease and desist? I just want this to stop, but I'm worried that if I go to the police it will a) make her more mad and/or b) the police will just tell me there's nothing they can do. Please help!

    TL;DR A woman I used to work with won't stop harassing me via social media and e-mail. I work two jobs and she has sent multiple e-mails to both of my bosses. The erratic behavior only seems to be escalating. What can I do to make it stop?

    submitted by /u/ThrowAway673944
    [link] [comments]

    [AL] Gas company keeps claiming that they own our tanks and keeping trying to repossess on the grounds of failed tank rent. They do not own these tanks and if they did they haven't done any maintenance

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    Our house caught fire and everyone is trying to claim our insurance money for one reason or another, my dad had some minor credit card debt and it looks like this is a result as well, can I just keep telling them to fuck off because its private property ? I'm his son and I never remember the tanks being touched by Amerigas ,ever

    submitted by /u/ShotGoner
    [link] [comments]

    Restaurant not following covid restrictions

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    I work as a server at a restaurant in Louisiana. We are currently at phase 2 of reopening which requires restaurants to open at max 50% occupancy, wear ppe, and maintain social distance of 6 ft between tables. On Saturday one of the servers was tested positive for covid. People who were working the day it was found out were told about the situation. We are closed on Sundays so they brought in a sanitation crew. People who didn't work Saturday found out when they came into work Monday morning about the situation and several employees were very upset for not knowing especially since some of them spent the weekend with at risk family members not knowing about the situation.

    The owner had been silent the whole weekend and left the managers to decide what should be done about the situation. When I saw him Monday night I asked about how the situation was being handled and that many employees were afraid of coming back to work for a few days. He replied if you don't come into work you will be replaced and asked me if I needed to go home. I said yes and left. I'm not entirely sure if I still have a job there or not. From what I understand he is not legally bound to close the restaurant or disclose that an employee was tested positive for covid or pay for employees to get tested.

    What he IS in violation of is not following covid restrictions. Employees don't wear masks and he gets angry when he sees employees wearing them. We are operating at 100% capacity with almost zero social distance space. We do not use disposable menus nor does anyone clean anything or use gloves to bring out food etc. What I want to know is am I and other employees protected for not returning to work under these conditions. Many employees have also not seen any ppp yet. The owner even told us to leave the start date of work blank. What legal steps can we take to protect ourselves in this situation if any. Thank you so much for your time!

    submitted by /u/Saeunnsworld
    [link] [comments]

    Partners mother stalking/harassing - can I get restraining order?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 09:27 PM PDT

    My partners mother does not approve of us living together. We have moved out of the apartment we rented from her and into a home owned by my family. She calls and texts relentlessly for about 14hrs today and when blocked or not answered will use spoof and fake numbers and borrow phones to try to get an answer despite being told multiple times we do not wish to communicate. Around midnight she drove to my home, blocked the drive way and then walked around the outside of the home and tried to peek in and tried to open doors while we were sleeping. She has severe emotional issues although undiagnosed it's clear she's very sick and has a history of acting like this.

    We are living in constant anxiety and fear that she will never leave us alone. Is this grounds for a restraining order? We need some help this is unbearable. We live in DC.

    submitted by /u/DeliciousRoof0
    [link] [comments]

    Can your get a restraining order against someone who has others reach out to you and make threats?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    I recently filed an identity theft report against someone. The person found out and I blocked them on social media and phone after making it clear to not contact me. They had people contact me, one which is their family member that keeps threatening to show up at my door to talk if I don't respond to messages within a certain amount of time and repeatedly sending messages to argue. Now I'm stressed out because this family member has a hot temper and I have children that I'm worried about if he actually shows up.

    Am I able to get a restraining order against this person and their family member as well? I have documentation of the conversation with the person, with someone else they asked to contact me, and the family member of the person I reported.

    It seems so silly to post this here but I honestly have no clue how the law handles this and if it's a valid reason for such measures.

    Location: Pennsylvania, USA

    submitted by /u/Fancy-Trash0
    [link] [comments]

    Received lease termination letter today but am very confused about what this means

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 04:03 PM PDT

    Ohio - Hancock County

    Hello all! I received a letter today, June 16th via certified mail stating that our lease is going to be terminated. I'm a bit lacking on tenant laws however I thought in Ohio I was required to be served the notice 30 days prior to my periodical rent date?

    I have rented through this landlord for nearly 7 years and she always praises us for being the best tenants she's ever had however she recently decided to try and sell the house.

    The letter says

    I am your landlord and this is the tenants official notice that their lease dated on the 1 day of February, 2020 will be terminated on the 11 day of July, 2020. Termination for the landlord must be at least 0 days before next payment date.

    Her signature Her printed name

    Certificate of service

    I certify that on the 11 day of June,2020 I served this notice to "my name" by then three check boxes She checked - First-class mail addressed to the person in possession. Via certified mail.

    End of letter

    Now, my lease from the date above states under terms that this is a lease for a period of 3 months beginning February 1, 2020 and ending February 30(it literally says that on the lease and I never noticed until now) 2023. This lease will automatically renew every 3 months for 3 years unless owner or resident terminated lease by 30-day written notice. Rent is due on the 1st day if each month.

    However under a section titled Notification of Termination, it states the following-

    Owner shall not terminate this lease except for serious or repeated breach of RESIDENTS obligations hereunder. In cases of nonpayment of rent, OWNER may terminate the tenancy by a 3-day written notice to vacate. In all other cases, OWNER may terminate the tenancy by a 15-day written notice to vacate. Notwithstanding the foregoing, OWNER may immediately terminate this lease for any act or conduct of RESIDENT, household member or guests which entitles OWNER to evict or enjoin RESIDENT under Ohio Laws

    It all seems so conflicting and I feel so confused by this.

    I welcome any feedback on this so I know how to properly navigate this.

    Thank you all in advance.

    Edited for clarification

    submitted by /u/OhioMattRL
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Previous tenants left unauthorized subtenants after vacating, and mom stuck paying for their utilities since March since she doesn't have their names

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    Apologies in advance for the lengthy post—the situation's a bit complicated, so I want to be as thorough as possible.

    My mom rented a house to a family for 2 years in Los Angeles County. The lease agreement clearly states that no subtenancy is allowed and, after seeing 2 strangers on her lot for a few weeks, my mom asked the tenants if they were subletting. The tenants blatantly denied subletting. Fast forward to February, my mom was increasingly convinced the tenants were lying since she kept seeing the 2 strangers on the property, so she started to seek legal help. The two lawyers she contacted both told her she couldn't do much without proof and suggested she send the tenants a 30-day notice to vacate when the lease ended. She did this, and the tenants did move out when the lease ended in March.

    The problem—my mom discovered on the day the tenants returned the house keys that there were indeed 2 strangers living in the house. The tenants left their deposit as payment for the subtenants for the month, but claimed they didn't know the subtenants' names... The tenants left and didn't leave any information on how to contact them, so my mom is now stuck with 2 strangers living in her house. She once again sought legal advice and was told that since the subtenants lived there for some time, they now have tenant rights... The subtenants hide from my mom everytime they see her, and she was told she can't legally turn off utilities (gas, water, electricity) without the risk of being sued. Under the advice of a lawyer, she called the police to report "suspicious people on her property" so they can at least take down the names of the 2 subtenants.

    Just when she finally got their names and it seemed like things were progressing, new laws against evictions were announced earlier this year due to coronavirus, and the lawyers she worked with advised her against any legal action until such laws are lifted. So, since March, the 2 strangers have been living in my mom's house for free...and my mom has been paying for all their utility usages. She feels like she's stuck in a situation in which she's just being told to wait and was told it'll be a long and costly legal battle to legally reclaim her house (according to the lawyers, it will cost $10-20k to remove the 2 strangers and she will be unlikely to get a cent back from them).

    Seeking an unbiased opinion from this community. It feels so unjust that these 2 people living in the house rent-free and utilies-free for months without a contract can just keep doing so at the expense of my mom, who faces huge legal fees to vacate them when she never agreed to their tenancy in the first place? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/fyreflake
    [link] [comments]

    Two weeks ago, three people died in a river tragedy. The mother of one made a GoFundMe and is pocketing $20,000. Now, she wants to take her deceased son's one-month-old baby away from his already struggling 20-year-old fiance.

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    This is a throwaway account, and first there are a few things to note. We live in California. We'll call the guy that passed away Alvin. Alvin was 20 years old when he passed away along with close friends while swimming at a river. He barely had his son, we'll call him Liam, born not even a month ago when he decided to unwind and go to one last hang out. He was swept by the current in an attempt to save the first two people that fell into a deep underwater hole. His soon to be fiance who we'll call Mia was there too.

    I feel a little backstory is needed. Alvin has always had some form of hate for his abusive drunk of a dad, even having to send him to prison once for pulling a knife on his close friend while prom shopping. Alvin was extremely excited to be in his newborn son's life and wanted to show him Pokemon, Smash and much more. He had a savings account specifically for Liam which Mia and him both contributed to, but when he passed away his parents pocketed it, and claimed they would put it towards Liam.

    Alvin has always been about his friends, caring for them just as much or even more than his parents. When his GoFundMe came up, his friends raised most of the $20,000 even though they were just college kids. Now, she's turned back on her word and decided to cremate him. Mia isn't even being invited to the funeral, let alone his friends. "There is no need for his friends to be there."

    Today, Alvin's parents came over to Mia's house and asked to just hang out with Liam for a little, and would take him back in a couple of days. Mia was very hesitant and didn't want to, but they took Liam anyways. Within the next hour she received a call from Alvin's mother saying she's going to take Mia to court for custody of Liam. Then she called Mia's mother and cussed her out, basically saying Mia and no one is allowed near the house any longer.

    What legal action can she take? Mia's out of a job because of Covid-19 but she's on unemployment. She has a huge support system behind her consisting of her and Alvin's friends that could all pitch in for Liam's needs and more. She's trying to find a job before she gets taken to court even though she starts going back to college in a couple of months. What can she do to help her win custody of her own son? She's going through a lot right now and all of this is making it even worse.

    TL;DR - Parents are using their son's death to make money, and now they want custody of his one month old son.

    submitted by /u/sheneedshelp30
    [link] [comments]

    Joint account garnished, lost all my money despite not being in debt, company won’t give money back despite proof

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 10:24 AM PDT

    [NE] I'm 18, and I've had a joint account with my dad since I was 16. He has never used my account, it's just been a place to keep the money I've earned from working. He recently had his his account garnished without realizing it, and they took all of our money. I had over $2700 in my account, and they all of it, since the account is technically still under my dads name. I was saving this money for college, and around $700 was high school graduation money. The company that garnished us told us to send my transaction history from the past 90 days in order to prove that it was all my money, and that my dad hadn't been using the account as his own. They made us fax them the transaction history 3 separate times over the span of 2 weeks. Now they're saying that the proof doesn't even really matter because my account was still under my dads name, and they're probably not going to give me my money back. They literally took all of my money, and I'm not even in debt to anyone. Is there any way for me to get my money back? Or have I just wasted the past 2 years working for nothing

    submitted by /u/lathrowaway69421
    [link] [comments]

    dad molested me and my sisters years ago

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    Im not sure if this is the right flair but heres a tldr of what happened with my dad:

    He molested me for months when i was 5 years old and im 18 now. I also found out he molested my half sister (related by blood to my dad) for nearly an entire year when she was 19 but she is 22 now. My half sister has aspergers and ocd and bipolar disorder so my father knows she has a hard time standing up for herself and is easily manipulated. No one in my family knew this happened until me and my sister told each other. I also have ptsd now and an eating disorder.

    We are thinking of taking legal action now, if its not too late. Is it still possible? i live in michigan. also if that happened would me and my mother get some sort of compensation? my dad is the breadwinner of the family and my mom would not make enough to support me if he was out of the picture.

    submitted by /u/tthrowawayy72
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment