• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 17, 2020

    Legal Advice - What can you do if you were forced into a marriage overseas but live in the USA?

    Legal Advice - What can you do if you were forced into a marriage overseas but live in the USA?


    What can you do if you were forced into a marriage overseas but live in the USA?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 08:55 AM PDT

    So this was actually 5 years ago. My family was in Macedonia(my parents are from there) and then a week before we were going to come back my parents forced me to get married to a guy.

    We fought about this before but they were threatening to abandon me there and wouldn't give me my wallet, phone or passport. So on paper I'm married to some guy there. My parents did this for a number of reasons. They think I'm ugly, stupid, disabled(because I need glasses) and because I have a brother with adhd, no man would want me to have their babies because they could have adhd too. I didn't even kiss the guy. Which pissed him off because he kept wanting me to have sex with him cause he wanted to get me pregnant so I'll be anchored to him. The marriage was just signing paper a paper, but the guy literally asked "you want to get married and no one is forcing you to do this?" I said nothing. He said were married now. Everyone was pissed at how unhappy I looked.

    Then after we came back to the us I filled an immigration spouse application and paid around $500-600. The next few months I was freaking out and was told "well, you were 18! You should have just said no! Just look on the bright side of being married!" I was suppose to send in tax returns but instead I threw them into a McDonald's drive thru garbage can. So, after that I ran away from home and spent a year being homeless and living in a women's shelter. The people there were unhelpful, which is putting it nicely. But I keep thinking about how they kept telling me that my "husband" could come to the USA and take all my money!" I was homeless. I had no money. And the people running that shelter were discouraging to all the women there and telling us not to get our hopes up of being successful. Well, now I have a year left in my undergrad and am actually starting to make money. I haven't talked to my family or the guy.

    Is there any way that he could come after me after all these years? Is there anything I should do? I don't have any immigration paperwork. I threw all of it out.

    I live in New York.

    submitted by /u/Lawqthrowwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor dug tunnel through his apartment to mine to break in

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    I live in an apartment in Kennesaw, Georgia USA and I got a call from the police that my neighbor dug a tunnel from his apartment to my apartment through my laundry room, and broke into our apartment. He didn't take anything, and he just fled through my balcony. I wonder what his motive was??

    Some backstory, I'm in the process of moving out to a new place, he saw me moving out and asked me questions about it. He also asked me if I could ever hear him at night through the walls, the exact wall he dug the tunnel through, said he "freestyles at night". He acts very weird and creepy to me whenever he spots me in the hallway , I'm a 21 yo female living alone.

    Officer asked me if I wanted to press charges, I said yes. I have a court hearing coming up about it. What type of charges would this carry?

    submitted by /u/kw1738
    [link] [comments]

    Additional PTO on the basis of race

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:04 AM PDT

    I work for a company of about 700 employees in the Pacific Northwest. Although we have a strong corporate emphasis on equity, diversity, and inclusion, Black employees make up less than 3% of our workforce. Management has been aware of this issue for a while now, but there have been no tangible efforts to reform our hiring, retention, and promotion practices. Needless to say, their actions have been coming off as more than a little performative during the past few weeks.

    Today our CEO announced that the company will recognize Juneteenth as a paid holiday...but only for Black employees. Any black employees who work on Friday will be given 8 additional hours of PTO to be exercised within the next 30 days. Nonblack employees will receive no additional benefit. Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/nesspdx
    [link] [comments]

    Bank Accounts Totally Wiped Due to Child Support Garnishment. Not My Kid. (FL)

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    My partner and I are saving for a house, so I run my checking account just above the minimum and everything else goes either into short term savings or the high interest online account I opened to save for the down payment.

    On Friday, my paycheck was supposed to hit my account so I logged in, only to find that my balance was $0. Even if my direct deposit didn't go through, there is always $250 in the account. I checked the activity and my paycheck had gone in and was removed already! My short term savings was at $0 as well.

    I looked at the transactions and saw the same line item which contained CRT GRNSH. I called my bank and was told that they were served with a court order for back child support and turned over all assets. My long term savings account is the same deal. All in all, it's about $30,000.

    So, I have no children, I have been with my partner for six years and I have been openly gay since I was 14. I have never had sex with a woman, never served as a guardian, and certainly don't have any unknown surprises out there.

    The order came out of Michigan, a state I have never set foot in. After a few days back and forth, I finally got someone on the phone who admitted that the order was not against me. If I'm John Smith born 04/21/1994, the order was meant for Jon Smithe born 04/19/1984.

    I asked how soon I could get my money returned and was told that they don't deal with reversals and the money is likely gone as it has been distributed to the "wronged party". I feel like I'm the wronged party in this scenario.

    I don't even know where to begin. I spoke with an attorney who told me that the case isn't worth it for him to take up. Who do I even go after here? Someone who I spoke to at the courts in Michigan suggested my case is against Jon Smithe, and I can't believe that they expect me to track this guy down and sue him for money he almost certainly doesn't have.

    I'm sorry if this is a mess, I'm sick to my stomach, crying, I can't pay my bills, and I don't know what to do. My partner's accounts weren't touched and he's assured me he'll take care of the bills, but I feel like such a piece of garbage putting it on him.

    I feel like nobody cares that I was robbed and they keep saying it's my problem. My banks say he used my name as an alias so they're washing their hands of responsibility. The courts say that they don't deal with it and all they did was issue a legitimate order. The child support office doesn't want to hear it and has said it's not their problem.

    What do I do?

    submitted by /u/WrongfullyWiped
    [link] [comments]

    Veternarian “forgot” to give my dog the lime disease vaccine, charged us for it, and he is now sick with lime disease, and arthritis and thyroid problems stemming from his lime disease.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    I am 16 years old, slightly stupid, and have never posted here so I apologize if I get the formatting wrong or something. In 2019, my dog was diagnosed with lyme disease. We were initially very worried, but our vet assured us that lyme disease in dogs is a very different situation than lyme disease in humans, and that since he was not exhibiting any symptoms at the time, medication was not needed. This is our first dog, so we are not well versed in these issues. Fast forward to a week ago, my dog started limping. We already had an annual checkup scheduled for the week after, so we decided to move up his appointment and address the limp. To provide background info, my dog is only two years old. We found out that day that he has arthritis because his lyme disease was worsening. We were given doxycycline to administer to him for 10 days and also had his bloodwork done. It's his seventh day on doxycycline, and his limp has gotten better, so we assumed he was going to be perfectly fine. Except now, his appetite has significantly decreased. He is a very food motivated dog, so this is uncharacteristic of him. My mom called his vet to get the bloodwork results back (I was not on this phone call), and told me that they concluded from his bloodwork that he never got his lyme disease vaccine. My family was sure that he got this vaccine, and looked back into his folder where we keep his veterinary records. Lo and behold, we were charged for the vaccine in 2018. The vet said that they had no record that the vaccination was administered. They also informed us that he has low thyroid levels and needs to be on doxycycline for an additional ten days. It was on this phone call that the vet told my mom that they "forgot" to give my dog the lyme disease vaccine. My mom was furious. We have been very worried about our dog, who we treat like an actual family member/human, and feel that this whole situation could have been avoided. Additionally, the vet bills have amounted to around 400 dollars so far, and will continue to increase. My family is having a hard time, especially now because of covid. Although we will always try to pay my dogs medical bills no matter what, it's getting increasingly difficult. I find it completely irresponsible that the vet can neglect to give my dog the vaccination, and put my family under the assumption that he had received it. My biggest worry is my dogs health, and that his lifespan will lower because of this. Is my vet in the wrong? Is there any way we can get these medical bills covered, besides insurance? Is there any legal action we can take? Thank you to anyone who responds, as we really appreciate the help!

    submitted by /u/kelsilee33
    [link] [comments]

    (VA) My neighbor attacked me car with a machete, I ran him over, Im now subpoenaed to court as a witness. Do I need a lawyer?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 08:46 AM PDT

    Title basically says it all. My neighbor ran me off our dirt road. This is nothing new and wasn't a problem when I had my truck, but now that I drive a sports car, I cannot put it into the ditch without costing thousands in damage. I turned around to see what his problem was. I parked at the end of the driveway (still in a public road) and he got out and said "you got a fucking problem?" Before I could even respond, he whips out a machete and starts coming towards my car. I hop in, and he starts charging at me, so I ran him over.

    He was taken to the hospital and the charged with assault and battery, brandishing a weapon, and destruction of property. I've never seen a court room, outside of movies and documentaries, so I have no idea what the process will be and what statements I need to make. I also don't want to say anything stupid to get his charges dropped. Is it a pretty straight forward process when I go into court? or do I need a lawyer?

    submitted by /u/jessecraftbeerco
    [link] [comments]

    Brother is accusing our mom for sexual abuse

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    For context I am 17F (18 in August) and my brother is 16M. We live in New Jersey. I reported our mom in April because she kept beating me and was overall just very abusive. She was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and child endangerment. She stayed in jail for 5 days and released but on the condition that she does not contact or go near me and my brother until further notice. We don't know when the trial will be because of the ongoing pandemic.

    The social worker assigned to our case called me and my brother today and spoke with us and asked us how we were doing, if our mom had attempted to make contact with us etc. We answered honestly and told them that she had not made contact recently. However, my brother also told them about how my mom had touched my brother inappropriately in his private area ever since he was 5. According to him, it would happen almost every night and our mom would do it under the guise of it "being a joke."

    I completely believe my brother. He was extremely embarrassed to say it and I had seen some instances when I was younger of my mom grabbing his penis as a "joke." I sometimes heard him saying to her "stop" or "don't do that" but I didn't ask him what it was about because I guess a part of me was really grossed out about it and didn't want to know about it.

    The social worker told him that they would now be opening a new case and that the protection order would now last longer.

    My question is that we don't have any physical proof (like pictures or videos) of the times this happened. It's basically our word against hers. How likely is it that she would be found guilty? Can she be rearrested? What would she be charged with and how long would she get in prison?

    My brother and I are terrified that we will have to live with her again and although I'll be going to college in the fall, there's still a risk that they put him back with our mom and she keeps molesting and abusing him.

    They are giving my mom a mental evaluation and I am quite certain that she will be diagnosed with a variety of illnesses. She has always been mentally unstable but it most certainly worsened after she got diagnosed with cancer and depression. I believe her medications also played a role in her violence.

    I don't know what will happen and if she will be able to pull the "Oh I'm mentally ill!" excuse with the courts. Will my brother and I have to testify in court? I'm really inexperienced with the legal system. Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Swishleafy
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor wants to have access to my addition roof

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 11:23 AM PDT

    I live in a duplex in Virginia. The duplex next door to me sold a month back or so. I went next door (respectfully with a mask) and introduced myself to them, and gave them a contact sheet with me and my husbands information. I knew that they were going to be doing some construction, and since we are both working from home I wanted to coordinate with the new owners for certain things. I asked about time lines and such but they were unwilling to give me any information.

    Three days later, while my husband and I were in mid conference call mode, they began demolition. No notice, nothing. I spoke to the crew and asked about what was going on and was given no information. The owners still did not reach out to me. The next day I saw the owner and asked if he was able to provide me with some form of schedule so that my husband and I could schedule our priority calls in accordance. Not asking for any accommodations, just a heads up on when is lunch or whenever we can squeeze in some quiet time to get our more important meetings handled. I was met with open hostility and the statement that he could not and would not provide anything of the sort.

    They posted their permit, but redacted all work to be done. I reached out to the city to find that his permit was for minor renovations of 10k and he was doing a full gut. I called the city, they did nothing. There permit states they cannot work on holidays, and they were doing construction on memorial day at like 7 am. I write all this to say, not once has this family show an ounce of consideration towards us.

    It now turns out they are also building a two story addition, which already irritates me because it is going to change our view and we had no idea this was coming. They have still not contacted us, but have sent over their contractors to tell us they would be accessing our addition roof to work on the siding for theirs. Not ask. Tell me.

    I informed the contractor that the did NOT have permission to use my roof or property and that I needed to speak with the owner before such a thing were to occur. I informed him that they had my information and should contact me tonight. He said he would do so, but that they would be on my property tomorrow to meet their deadline.

    What can I do?

    TLDR Neighbors contractor wants access to my addition roof. Told me they were going to do it tomorrow even after I said no. What can I do.

    submitted by /u/FoxyCFox36
    [link] [comments]

    I 25F and inherited a house that I didn't know about until now and don't want. IA

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:51 AM PDT

    I am attempting to purchase a home with my fiance. One thing that was revealed during the process is that I apparently owe property taxes for a house I did not know I own.

    What we have pieced together is that my material grandfather died and willed me his house. I did not know about this - I lived with my father at the time, and apparently my mother was appointed to manage the property until I turned 18. She and I were not in touch and she died a few months after my 18th birthday.

    Other relatives had no idea that my grandfather left me the house. They all thought that my mother inherited it and sold it (she was his only living child and was the black sheep of the family).

    I have spoken to a couple of people with the county - someone from the assessor's office and someone from the county recorder. They have been very kind and helpful and both say that the records available to them show me as the owner. They were both surprised and said they are sure that I would have had to sign something as an adult and be made aware of the situation, which I don't remember doing, but they also said these proceedings are common enough that my mother may have just pushed things through without telling me.

    At first I was elated because hey, free house. However upon further checking, my dad believes this house is more of a liability than it is worth. He believes it will cost me more money to own it than it is actually worth as a property. It has several major concerning issues that likely cannot be ignored. He heard about them a very long time ago but they were not his problem at the time. Neighbors confirmed what he heard and a lot of the issues we are afraid of.

    I am trying to figure out where to go from here, legally. It looks like if I was willed a property as an adult over 18 I could choose not to accept it, but in this case it appears that it was accepted on my behalf before I even turned 18. It has been over 10 years that I have "owned" it according to the county folks who helped me. That makes me think it is probably too late to do anything even if something could be done back then.

    But as it stands I'm upset that I may have inherited a liability, and I am afraid to investigate some of the issues with the property because I assume if I get confirmation of suspected major issues, then I will basically be negligent and will have no choice but to come up with the money to deal with the property's problems (which I don't have).

    I'm not sure if this is a lost cause and I need to just buckle up for the long expensive haul, or if this is something a lawyer can help me to resolve. If it were up to me I would have never inherited the property in the first place.

    Edit: To be more clear, the house is worth basically nothing. It is a tiny shack that you cannot safely enter. The property itself is worth VERY little. A larger lot down the road sold for only $6k a couple months ago, and that was as a clean buildable lot. Meanwhile the land has an underground oil tank leak. From what we have been told he had two large underground tanks in tandom that he put in himself, incorrectly, and they leaked for years. Neighbors said he knew about the leak but was crazy/stupid and just kept paying the company to come fill them. The neighbor people said they warned him at length that he had an obvious leak but he was not a friendly guy and did not care. Eventually the oil company refused to sell him more oil. The situation has been left in place ever since. My father said the area likely needs remedial treatment including excavation and disposal of all the contaminated soil, and it is impossible to tell how far the contamination spread underground. Meanwhile the property also has buried construction waste that my grandfather hauled to his own property and buried on site in several pits. So that is why this is a liability and I do not want to own it.

    Edit again: and yes we are in touch with the county about the oil situation

    submitted by /u/allfallsapart34
    [link] [comments]

    Banister in my apartment complex gave out causing my uncle to fall down several stairs and smack his face into a wall, possible concussion and severe neck pain. He's getting CT and MRI scan right now but he doesn't have insurance...

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:21 PM PDT

    I saw the fall and it was bad, the sound his head made snacking the wall was terrible, I'm pretty shook from it still. Terrible.

    Initially he couldn't get up because his neck/shoulder hurt so bad, after about 10 minutes I was able to get him off the pavement and into the house to rest and clean up a gash that opened on his eye brow.

    A neighbor came out to check on the commotion and offered to dial 911 but he doesn't have insurance so he told her not to.

    I went to the store to get him a neck brace to help stabilize his neck but when I got back he told me that his right eye was blurry, had shooting pain down his arm, he was feeling nauseous and he could barely move because his neck hurts so much. At this point I knew he had to go to the hospital.

    So I drove him to the hospital and so far they've given him a CT scan and an MRI. his head wound kept bleeding so he might have to get stitches as well but I don't know yet because they don't allow visitors so I'm getting updates from him periodically.

    I took some video and some photos of the railing that failed and it seems pretty clear that the wood is rotted out and possibly the railing was never installed properly to begin with but I'm not an expert. We've also had some issues with rotting around windows causing leaks which we reported, maintenance reviewed, said they'd fix it but they never came back. This complex doesn't seem to be maintained well.

    I feel so bad, my uncle is staying with me for a bit and is getting himself back on his feet after losing his job due to Covid-19, he's barely getting by and now he'll have these medical bills...

    I figure I should be contacting a personal injury attorney but I've never had anything like this happen before so I'm not exactly sure if I should be doing anything else so I'm writing here with hopes that you good people can give me some tips/advice/foresight. Or maybe you can recount your experience, if you had something like this happened to you or someone you know.

    I really appreciate it, thanks in advance.

    Edit: This happened in San Diego, CA

    submitted by /u/Sy-Zygy
    [link] [comments]

    3 small roll-away dumpsters for 60 units in a 3 building complex.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 06:01 AM PDT

    Posting for my mom.

    My mom's coworker has a side job as a PCA and one of her clients lives in a section 8 housing complex. It's a 3 building complex with minimum 20 units per building. Each building is assigned 1 small roll-away dumpster and 1 standard size recycling bin.

    The landlord recently put signs on everyone's doors saying "Do not overfill the dumpster. Wait until the dumpster is empty to add more garbage. Anyone caught overfilling the dumpster will face consequences/fines."

    My mom is trying to figure out the laws and regulations for how many dumpsters are required to be provided but all she can come up with is "a reasonable amount" but no clue as to what that reasonable amount is.

    This complex is filled with low income, disabled individuals; the client has a colostomy bag, dirty diapers, not to mention the usual garbage like rotting food and pet messes. It's summer with temperatures reaching high 80s to mid 90s. The landlord is expecting people to keep the trash in their unit until the dumpsters are emptied.

    Can anyone shed some light on the laws or requirements for multiple family units? Is the landlord violating something by only providing 3 dumpsters for 60 units?

    Location: St Paul, MN

    submitted by /u/leakynipple
    [link] [comments]

    Unfortunately I had to kill a dog

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    I might be getting sued for killing a mans dog.

    I want to know if I have any grounds to counter it.

    What happened was that me and my boyfriend went to walk his dogs when I was over visiting him, about five minutes into our walk we came to a y in the road, on the left side was a small house with a lot of dogs in a poorly fenced In yard so we opted to stick to the right side of the road so we didn't aggravate the dogs further and continued walking down the road, but their black lab had jumped out of its in closure and went around the fence onto the road we were on and started to growl and bark at us, we started to yell and scream at it and at the house to come get their dog, the good neighbor from across the streets came running down from their house thinking it was their dog that we were yelling at, she brings us into her high fenced yard to keep the dog out, the dog finally passes us and starts running down the road away from us, and the we see a little girl who couldn't be any older than six years old come out to look for their dog.

    The neighbor that came down to help us said "that dog is getting out of his pen daily" we said thanks for helping us and continued on our walk.

    On our way home we see the dog again and it is sprinting towards me and I remembered that I had my pocket knife in my jacket, I managed to pull out my knife right as the thing lunges at me and latches onto my arm, won't let go and knocks me down, I feared for my life, my boyfriends life, and his dogs so I did the only thing I could, and I killed it, even after it was dead we had to pry it's jaws off of my forearm and rushed to the hospital, after calling the police, they sent an officer and a secondary animal control officer

    I ended up getting a rabies shot and 10 stitches in my arm

    When I got back to the house a man is pounding on the door, screaming and swearing saying how he was going to sue me for killing his dog and traumatizing his daughter (the one he sent to find the dog earlier)

    I just want to know if I have grounds to counter sue him, I want to know what I should do in this situation, it broke my heart doing what I did and not a day goes by that I don't regret it, I just need some advice

    submitted by /u/Arazonafire
    [link] [comments]

    Parents keep requesting wellness checks from police though I’ve told them not to

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:15 AM PDT

    I am an adult in my thirties. I have a history of mental illness and one suicide attempt over a decade ago. I have not attempted since, and I am currently on medication and doing well.

    Any time I don't answer my phone, or we have a fight, or I mention everything in my life isn't perfect, I live in fear that the police are going to show up any minute and I might not live through the encounter.

    They've called the cops on me a total of six times in the last several years, no matter where I've lived - MS, FL, GA, and now back to MS. While some of these calls result in benign annoyances like the cops calling my phone nonstop and leaving several messages while I'm at work, more often than not it involves several officers showing up at my home in the middle of the night banging on my door. One such instance in particular had the cops telling me that if I didn't voluntarily go to a hospital of their choosing via an ambulance "of my own free will" that things might turn out very badly for me. Interpret that however you fucking want.

    Well, it happened again recently. We had an argument so I stopped communicating with them for several days. In the meantime I learned that not only did they contact every hospital in the surrounding area (to which they were angry the hospitals were unable to disclose if I had been admitted) but then of course they contacted the sherif and asked to find me in case I was "having mental issues."

    Oh, and the argument started because I had been trying to get them to read an article for over a week on the importance of not getting police involved in wellness checks because it often results in injury, incarceration, or death of the person. They said they didn't have time for my "stupid shit" then turned around and did exactly what I requested them not do.

    Is there anything I can do to keep my parents from having the ability to do this other than moving, changing my number, and never disclosing either? I don't have the time or money to do that but I'd rather not be killed or lose my job for being thrown in jail because my parents are idiot fucking rednecks.

    Edit: I feeL I need to emphasize I genuinely do not believe my parents are intentionally harassing me or putting me at risk - they are actually concerned for my wellbeing and doing what they think is right. My issue is that I do not want the police involved in my wellbeing under any circumstances - ever - and that my parents refuse to be educated on the situation. I'd rather not completely cut ties with my only family if it's avoidable.

    submitted by /u/Throwaway936394628
    [link] [comments]

    CA: Landlord terminated our tenancy to do a complete renovation. Kept our entire deposit

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    We've been there for 11+ years. The wear and tear is as you'd expect. Original Carpets frayed, cracked window from the earthquakes here years ago, badly needs a paint job.

    Five years ago they wanted to drastically raise the rent so we listed everything wrong with it and told them they need to fix it if they wanted more rent money. Never heard back.

    9 months before our contract renewal, they said they wanted to do a walk through and see if they can fix anything. First time they volunteered that. At the end of 2019 they terminated our tenancy and kept our entire deposit listing everything wrong with the place. After 11 years, c'mon now! The place is totally worn out. Whatever ..... a few days ago I found our old place completely renovated. New kitchen, bathrooms, windows, paint and carpet. What the hell.... are they allowed to keep our complete deposit when they were planning on renovating anyways?

    Edit: they did provide a itemized statement but it was stuff like damage to kitchen counter (guessing the knife marks) and holes in those rolled tile-like flooring. While I did do the damage. The more severe damage to the kitchen counters was from our beach weather making the layers peel off from every side. Same for flooring, for the single hole we made they charged us to replace it entirely when the severity of damage is from The lifted edges near the sliding door leading out, from water that crept I'm during rain. It was completely flaked, peeling and discolored from mold.

    submitted by /u/pimppapy
    [link] [comments]

    Restaurant withholding tips and donating them to charities

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    Using a throwaway here for obvious reasons. Basically, I want to know if what's happening at my work is legal. If not, I would also like to know what I can do to get things fixed.

    I work at a restaurant and the owners have decided to start withholding certain peoples' tips. We have been receiving about half of what we are tipped and the rest is being held by the owners in a "fund," the purpose of which is still unclear. I've seen them giving some of it to the kitchen which is fine by me, but one of the managers told me the other day that they are saving it to have a staff outing, and that only certain staff will be invited (apparently they don't plan on bringing any of the newer employees). This did not sit well with me at all.

    The other day while I was working I stumbled upon a postcard from a local charity, addressed to the restaurant. I read it and was dismayed. It said:

    "Dear [Name of Restaurant] Employees, Thank you for donation of [dollar amount] from sharing your tips! YOU ARE ESSENTIAL!"

    This really pissed me off. I don't know for sure if that donation was made with our withheld tips, but the postcard seems pretty damning. None of us ever consented to giving up any of our tips, it was just thrust upon us by the ownership one day with no warning. We're starting to get annoyed, and finding that postcard has prompted us to do some investigating.

    Is it legal for our bosses to withhold our tips like this? And as far as the postcard goes, does it have any legal value in establishing that our tips have been taken and given away?

    To be clear, the people who work at the takeout counter are the ones not receiving all their tips. Servers and delivery people get to keep all their tips. We are paid regular minimum wage, not sure if that is relevant or not. Also, we are in Connecticut.

    Is there anything we can do that would allow us to keep all our tips?

    submitted by /u/DependentBarnacle
    [link] [comments]

    Working without access to a functioning bathroom

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:46 PM PDT

    I live and work in Iowa at a retail store. Our restrooms have always had less than stellar plumbing but they're still usable so I can deal. Today, though, we had sewage coming up from the floor drains in both restrooms, made worse if someone flushed a toilet. My business is remaining open and employees are being told to walk to a different store to use the restroom. (It would probably only take about 5 minutes to get there.) But sometimes I'm the only manager on duty and I'm not allowed to leave the building. Today I had to wait until 4PM for another manager to arrive and I used my 30 minute lunch to go to a nearby gas station. I contacted the store's repair team but there's no ETA on when a plumber would be there or when we might have a working restroom.

    Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/SublethalTuba
    [link] [comments]

    [MAINE] Wrongfully, unnecessarily transported to a psych ward for involuntary commitment

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 08:41 PM PDT

    I'm a male, 21 year old college student attending a public university in the state of Maine.

    TLDR: I believe I was involuntarily committed to a mental institution without sufficient reason. I would like to pursue a personal injury suit as well as compensation for unnecessary medical expenditures.

    Relevant information:

    About two years ago, someone raised some sort of concern with the school administration that I was in possible danger of harming myself. I was interrogated by the university administration. I thoroughly denied that I intended to cause myself harm. Their questioning lasted about 30 minutes.

    The University staff called then called the university police department . They also questioned me. The police asked me what were fundamentally the same questions as the university staff had asked me. Again, I thoroughly denied that I was in any way intending to cause myself harm.

    Here is where I think things got strange. The police stated that certain things I had told the school administration and certain things I had said seemed troubling to them. I informed the two officers that I had provided no more information to the university staff than I had provided them. The university staff had apparently mentioned that I had said certain things which I, in fact, had not. I made it very clear that those certain quotations were, in fact, fabricated; and did not reflect my thinking or intentions.

    The police said then that they saw it fit to transport me to the hospital. I was informed that I could do so voluntarily or I would be arrested and taken involuntarily. After they searched my person and belongings for weapons or illicit substances, I was compelled to board the police cruiser and ride to the hospital. I did not understand then that I was in fact going to a psych ward and not just "the hospital"; and no one made any effort to convey that information. I was from then on not allowed to contact anyone.

    At the hospital I was held for about 8 hours. After questioning me for no more than 5 minutes, the psychiatric specialists determined that I posed no threat to myself and I should be released.

    I know now that the University staff and pd acted in a manner not in accordance with the university's and PD's previously determined procedures for this kind of situation. A school social worker admitted to me that the university staff had acted in an incorrect and troubling manner by not contacting the appropriate university offices before calling the police.

    It seems to me that the uni staff called the police because it was just to much of a liability for them for a student to hurt himself, and the police committed me for the same reason, even if there was not necessary evidence to suggest that I would. It costs nothing for them to do what they did and they absolved themselves of any responsibility.

    I found the experience to be deeply disruptive to my daily life and I consider, as do mental healthcare professionals I have consulted with including university counselors, that this experience has had a negative impact on my ability to funcktion as I did prior to this event.

    Are there grounds for a personal injury suit against either the university or university police department? I also incurred a large hospital bill for close to $3000; do I have any grounds for demanding compensation of any kind summing to this amount?

    submitted by /u/jhap123
    [link] [comments]

    (TN) Shooting neighbors dog

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:30 PM PDT

    We live in rural Tennessee. We have about 20 cows. The neighbors dog came on our property a couple of weeks ago and killed my pet cat. And then today, it came and attacked two of our 4 day old calves (twins). One had to be put out of its misery, his entire stomach was torn out. The other is probably going to have to be euthanized, it's leg is most likely broken. I know it was this dog on both occasions. I saw it kill my cat and I also saw it running from the field today, my husband is the one who saw the dog attack our cows. If this dog comes back on our property, would I be within my rights to kill it? The neighbor has been warned. I am also worried for the safety of my small children and other animals on our property. Would I be within my rights to protect my property by killing the dog if it comes back and also possibly sue the neighbor for loss of property? (the calves) because cows are how we supplement our income.

    ETA: the mother of the calves was also injured but nothing major

    submitted by /u/momx3_3xmom
    [link] [comments]

    Angry neighbor over noise which you can't hear at my home. UK

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    Two weeks ago a neighbor knocked on our door in the morning saying that for months we have been waking him up at 5.00 am.

    We did everything we could, trun off central heating from power, we let the air out of the radiators (hardly any was in them), we did not use the toilet and did not take a bath after 10 pm, we bought a new silent electric kettle (sometimes brother drink tea before going to work), we moved the beds and the desk from the walls but every day when we went to ask about noise, he said he could still hear the noise from 5am, we asked him to record it but he refused.

    It came to the point that the neighbor already openly tells us that we are lying, he also began to threaten us. I'm selling on ebay crafting materials, I am a registered as self-employed, I work in the afternoon and there is really nothing to make noise during this time but he decided to used it. He says things like: "it would be shame if they would prohibit you from working at home", "btw I found your eBay shop, it looks very professional" he also repeats "That he does not know how things are sorted out in the country of my origin but in this country there are laws". I am helpless and tired, I have been tiptoed at home for two weeks, I naively gave him my phone number. The guy is obese, he has problems with breathing and joints, he is on painkillers and he says that it is very easy to wake him up. I'm starting to think it's just the sounds of a home that responds to heat, the bedroom is right under the roof and the sun is now shining from 5 am.

    I do not rule out that he actually hears something but it is something that I have no influence on and if it were so loud I would hear it as well as I hear his snoring.

    I haven't slept since 4am and haven't heard a thing, but Steave claims he did. I tried to contact council but currently they only accept emergency cases. How can I defend myself? What can he actually do? Will I be thrown out of the house?

    Thank you if you read it, I know my English is still far from perfect and it must have been hard to read it.

    submitted by /u/Minikra
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor drove car into my apartment

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:52 PM PDT

    To preface, this incident occured in Ohio. Like the title says, my upstairs neighbor drove his car into my girlfriend and I's apartment; specifically the side of the building into my kitchen. In the past month the same person has:

    (1) caused a small fire by failing to put out his cigarette butt in the mulch bed next to my apartment, causing the fire department to come put it out.

    (2) Nearly ran over our neighbors dog in the parking lot

    (3) Drove that same car into my kitchen, causing a giant hole into the side of the building.

    Our landlord/ leasing office has barely communicated with us and it took two days for maintenance to even put up a tarp to cover the hole. A construction date has not been set and we do not get any updates from our landlord regarding a timetable for repair. My girlfriend and I have been staying at my parents apartment while they are out of town. I am working from home due to COVID19 and I have been inconvenienced by going back and forth from their apartment to mine just to see if any progress has been made and lack of professional by the community maintenance department. My girlfriend is an RT at the hospital and is dealing with COVID positive patients all night in their ICU. We are exhausted by this and we feel like our landlord has been apathetic to whole situation.

    What action can I take to get rid of the neighbor, gather compensation for relocating, and being kept in the dark by my landlord. This whole situation has been a nightmare. Thanks for your advice.

    submitted by /u/Char10
    [link] [comments]

    My mom was served papers to appear in a court for a father trying to get custody of his child.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:20 PM PDT

    My mom is a kindergarten teacher and teaches this man's son every other week. The father's trying to win custody for his son and is trying to use my mom and get her to talk bad about the mom and how the son should go to him. He told her he'd take her to dinner if she went and she politely refused.

    My mom said no to him because she doesn't know this man and only sees him when he drops off his son for kindergarten. She's never seen or met the mom, all she's ever heard about her has been from the dad, and she rarely interacts with the kid since he's only there for a few hours a day. All she can attest to is how not being in school full time is hurting his learning abilities. She has no way of telling how good of a home life either parent provides the child and there's nothing she can really say in court for this issue and doesn't understand why she would be served with papers. He went behind her back after being denied her personal information from her boss and asked her coworkers for her full name because he was determined to call her to court.

    Is there any way that she could deny going to court for this issue because she has no say at all to how well each parent is with the child and can't provide much, if anything at all.

    Edit:

    My mom lives in the United States in Utah

    submitted by /u/Laylacat11
    [link] [comments]

    Forced to work close to Covid-19 Patients.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 09:13 PM PDT

    Location: United States, Arizona, Maricopa county

    Context: I work at a hospital in food service. Basically I deliver trays to patients. We have wings of the hospital dedicated to the Covid-19 patients and usually we deliver trays to a cart outside of the wing and they roll it inside after we radio them.

    Recently, due to under staffing of nurses, they told us its mandatory to go INSIDE the Covid wings and drop off the trays infront of each room. I should preface that the doors leading into the Covid wings are plastered with signs that warn you wear the proper protective gear and what it is.

    We're not being given ANY of that protective gear, Only gloves and a paper procedure mask. No gowns, no face masks, none of what the signs recommend.

    They claim its safe and no riskier than going to the grocery story since the rooms have negative pressure so nothing "should" get out of the rooms.

    Additionally, we're not being offered any hazard pay AND if we refuse we'll be "Taken off the schedule"

    submitted by /u/Tyken132
    [link] [comments]

    Insurance won't approve medication - despite it being listed as an approved medication in the documentation

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 10:35 AM PDT

    Long story short, I've been on a prescription for over 10 years now for a heart arrhythmia. Without it, I am in danger of a cardiac arrest. I'm now a graduate student in California and have insurance through my school. In my insurance's documentation, the drug is listed as an approved generic drug (it is very cheap and very common). When I call though, they say that their system lists it as a "cost-prohibitive generic" and that it is not included in my plan. When I explain that my documentation lists it as approved, they tell me they can't change their system. I've tried talking to everyone's manager at the insurance company, but they eventually always loop me back to the first person after 3 hours and each person says the same thing.

    I get the medication using GoodRX coupons now which I can afford, but I feel totally scammed. I've had my cardiologist call them and explain there are no alternative treatments and that I need the medication, I've had my doctor file an appeal, I've gone through my college's insurance people, etc. Anytime I call about the appeals, they simply say that's it's either being processed or seemingly invent some new part of it that my cardiologist forgot to do and it resets the 3-4 week processing period (this has happened about 5 times now).

    Has anyone dealt with this? Is this illegal for them to do? I've ignored it for a few months now as it's a real balance between my hatred of talking to insurance people and my hatred of letting them get away with it.

    submitted by /u/a_cute_puffin
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a bad idea to help a fellow redditor out with a possible murder investigation?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 08:45 PM PDT

    Came across a post on a subreddit for audio engineering asking if someone could help with enhancing a noisy and unintelligible voicemail. Reached out to OP because this is something I do professionally and just wanted to offer some help. Turns out the voicemail is from someone who allegedly murdered OP's family member. They already sent it to me but I haven't done any work yet. After telling a few friends, they suggested I stay far away from the situation because I could legally become involved in the investigation if things escalate. Is this true? Or can I safely help out a fellow redditor without risk of getting roped into something larger? (The original post has been deleted by the moderators)

    Location: Illinois (don't know OP's location)

    submitted by /u/AberrantDevices
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment