• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 18, 2020

    Legal Advice - Jeep is wrongly accusing me of overheating my motor, and I think it might be time to lawyer up

    Legal Advice - Jeep is wrongly accusing me of overheating my motor, and I think it might be time to lawyer up


    Jeep is wrongly accusing me of overheating my motor, and I think it might be time to lawyer up

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    Edit: I'm in PA

    First off.. I'm shocked this user name was available. Second off, I never saw myself posting here, as I'm sure most don't, but I'm glad you all are here.

    So, a week ago, I parked in my friends driveway, and noticed oil all over the driveway when I went to leave. Confused, I popped my hood, and checked the oil to see it was barley on the dip stick. Shocked, I then look over at my coolant reservoir to see it not only contains oil, but enough oil that the spill came from the overflow of my coolant reservoir. Not good. I start googling, and see this actually seems to be not too uncommon, and usually results from a cracked oil cooler. This made sense to me as I had seen no overheating or performance issues that would usually accompany a blow head gasket. So I made an appointment with the "experts" in the area, read not my usual dealer.

    Yesterday was the day of my appointment, and I bring the car in. I tell them I've had to add 3 and a half quarts of oil this week, and believe the issue to be the oil cooler, and I go on my way. I receive a call later in the afternoon telling me it's bad, really bad, probably at least a block. I can't say I'm too surprised, but I ask if it was in fact the oil cooler. They tell me they haven't diagnosed the issue, but have only used the hour I paid for to confirm the severity of the engine damage, and I need to come back tomorrow with my service records. I'm was pretty shook up over this, but called a few mechanic friends to spitball with, and went in with my service records this morning assuming things would be straight forward.

    A little back ground. I bought the vehicle certified used, and tacked on the additional warrant just to make sure I wasn't running into issues with such a pricey used car that was supposed to go the distance. I have 5,000 miles left on my warranty.

    So I walk up to the same guy I was speaking with yesterday, and hand him my paper work, and ask him what's going on, and how this happens. Before he can even speak up, the service manager just yells over him, "a complete lack of maintenance, that's how this happens." I was again shook by this, trying to remain calm, told him I was there with the service records that said otherwise. He then tried to blame it on the wrong oil, which again I proved him wrong, and a list of other issues.

    When I got the initial call yesterday, I immediately called my dealer, and spoke at length with the service rep I'm familiar with about what would probably happen next. He explained to me FCA would require them to take pictures of damn near everything in order to get a claim started, and I should request those pictures. And that's exactly what I did. Initially I was told there were no such pictures, nor would there be. Once I explained that I was familiar with the process, he told me I wasn't entitled to the photos. I reminded him that this still wasn't a warranty claim as I was still the paying customer with the one hour of diagnostic I paid for to get the process started, but that didn't change his tune.

    Once the man realized I wasn't some schmuck, he then started to claim it was an issue caused by severe overheating, which is once again him hinting at it being a head gasket. I asked him what parts they removed in order to make this determination, and his response was "enough to see the extent of the damage." I asked to speak to the diesel tech who did the work, and he said that wasn't allowed. I assured him up and down that there was no overheating since I've been the owner of the vehicle, even pointing out the additional gauges I've installed to make sure I know the water temperature. He then proceeded to tell me it was probably the person before me who overheated the vehicle, and the symptoms are now presenting themselves randomly 65,000 miles later..

    The service manager then pulls up the entire service history associated with my vehicle, and shows me that it hadn't been to a dealer between 6 miles and 39,000 miles, and it probably happened somewhere in there. I mentioned that I understand things like that can happen, but that's why I bought it certified used, and tacked on additional factory warranties. He then told me that Jeep isn't responsible for the former owners actions, and certified just means it passed their test. From there, I asked him how much it would cost me to have them pull the oil cooler, and test it for failure, and I was told there wasn't a way to test it.. The last thing I asked this man was, "at this point, can you at least tell me we're on the same team here?" To which, he didn't respond.

    He told me once I left, he needed to do two hours of paperwork to get the process started, and an auditor/adjuster would come in personally to see the extent of the damage. I again asked for the photos from that, but was told there would be none. Needless to say, I'm a little worried about what this initial report is going to say, as there has been ZERO benefit of the doubt.

    After I got home, I again called my regular dealer, and they were shocked. They told me since FCA has been called in, to just leave it with the other dealer since it will be out of their hands anyway. I asked if it would be out of line to request to be present at the time of adjusting, and he said they wouldn't even hesitate. I emailed said service manager asking to be present, and have not received a response.

    I really can't help but feel like I'm about to need a lawyer here. I have 5,000 miles left on a warranty, and the fix out of pocket would come to $12,759. These folks can't even tell me how the oil is getting into my coolant system, yet they can be 100% certain I severely overheated my engine. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this whole thing, but even more so.. what type of law is this? I feel so beat up here.. sorry about the long post

    Tl;dr: I think my car is about to unjustly denied warranty repairs, and I don't even know what type of law that falls under

    Edit: the last thing I want to do here is end up in court, I really thought this should have been a pretty straight forward thing. Jeep, if you read this, I have my service records, I just can't believe this is happening right before my warranty expires.

    Edit edit: the vehicle had been serviced at a dealer, prior to my ownership, but it was only to fix the stereo three times I believe

    submitted by /u/Ithinkineedalawyer
    [link] [comments]

    Scammed into doing free design work during interview

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 06:02 AM PDT

    I applied for a contractor job online for a social media agency to design vertical video animations for brands. As part of the interview process the company sent me a "mock creative brief" and in 3 hours I made them an animation. For the next couple weeks, whenever I followed up they told me they were putting together a shortlist. Fast forward a couple weeks and they reached out to me. They told me they had sent my "mock brief" to their client. And it turns out it was a real brief. And the client liked it, but wanted revisions. The company offered less than half my day rate to "buy the asset" and make the client revisions. So, it's very obvious that they have been using this interview process to get designers to do free work for them so they have content to pitch to clients. Is this normal in the advertising industry to exploit artists? I feel so hopeless and violated. (Australia)

    submitted by /u/DesperatePizza8
    [link] [comments]

    If the police or otherwise ask about my medical condition in regard to my handicapped placard, am I legally obligated to answer them?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    I am in Louisiana in the United States. I have a permanent mobile disability and have a handicapped placard as a result of it. My disability is not visible to the naked eye and I have recieved many nasty looks from strangers when I park in handicapped spots. In one location in particular that I frequent, I have been questioned by security and asked to show my mobile disability license on multiple occassions to prove that the placard belongs to me.

    I have absolutely no problem with showing my ID. My concern is that one day I will be questioned further, and that I will be asked to explain my medical condition/elaborate why I have the placard to begin with. I am mostly uncomfortable with explaining my condition to others, but I will do so if I am required by law.

    submitted by /u/starslipp
    [link] [comments]

    Cut my self at work, I needed stitches. Company told me to make a workman’s comp claim. The next day my boss said he would pay half of the bill. So now I owe 300$ if I would have just used my insurance I would have only had to pay 25$

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 07:27 AM PDT

    I'm in Iowa, the headline pretty much sums it up. I'm in construction, I cut myself with my razor knife by accident. I called my HR, she told me to go to the urgent care of my choosing. I was told to tell the doctor it happened at work. I had to go into the office the next morning to fill out a accident report. Then the bill came in the mail to my house. I was told bring the bill into the office. Then my boss called the doctors office and paid half the bill over the phone. Now I have to pay the other 300$. If I would have just left work and not told anybody anything and gone to the doc it would have only been a 25$ co pay. Is this the way workmans comp is supposed to work, I've never done this before?

    submitted by /u/spookky_spooky
    [link] [comments]

    Found the car of the guy who hit me 2 years after the accident (CA)

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 05:07 PM PDT

    October 2018 I was hit by a car while on my bike. Bike was totaled and I was injured. Driver ran away.

    Cops were called and they took info and filed a report. There was a witness who got most of their plate number as well as make, model and color, and got a look at the driver's face.

    We never got a call back from the police department. Today I recognized the vehicle on the street due to its license plate number matching the partial we had, as well as the paint from my bike still on his bumper. I wrote down his full plate number.

    Is there anything I can do with this information? Should I take it to the police department or talk to a lawyer and sue? How do I find this guy's personal information if I want to sue? I'm not sure where to go from here.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/frecnbastard
    [link] [comments]

    My medical needs were not met by my boss despite my doctor/HR giving instructions. I had a seizure. My boss is asking me to cover for him

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I need advice

    I've previously had uncontrolled seizures but managed to control them with meds. I had been seizure free for 4 years before having 3 seizures in the last two months. My doctorrecommended that I not be alone for a few months just in case something happens.

    My office is currently empty due to covid except for me and my boss. My boss doesn't like to show up on time and leaves whenever he wants. Which is fine normally but now I needed someone there. I told my boss and he said to contact HR. I spoke to them and submitted a doctors note detailing his instructions.

    They told my boss that he needed to be in the office whenever I was there. Well, he never really stuck to those orders. Some days he was there but sometimes I would be alone for almost the entire day.

    I never informed HR because I knew he would just make my life hell. I wish I had in hindsight.

    Last week, I was alone and had a seizure. I fell, smashed my face up and bled on the carpet. One of the cleaning people found me and called 911. HR has been working with me since (workers comp etc) My boss called me in the ER to ask if I was okay and also to ask me to tell HR he was there if they asked.

    They found out who made the 911 call and it wasn't my boss. They emailed me today asking if he was present. I don't want to lie to them.

    Would my boss or my company face any legal action because of what happened? Am I responsible because I didn't tell HR that he was missing? I really just don't know what will happen... Location: California

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/soccerchiken
    [link] [comments]

    I was raped at work

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    I'm posting from a throw away. I (F21) work on a mental health/behavioral unit. I was doing my 15min rounds as I usually do, I went to my last patient & he cornered me in the room and grabbed me before I could press my panic button. He raped me. At work.. no one came to check on me (I was gone a pretty good while) not one concern.

    I reported the incident and was told that I could not press charges against a patient and that my employer is not responsible for what happened to me. Didn't even offer any apology.. nothing! The patient who assaulted me is 17, I am 21.

    I really need some legal advice. I'm not sure how true this is. I have also started searching for a good lawyer right now.

    I am in United States

    submitted by /u/throwaway199851
    [link] [comments]

    NJ Landlord's Husband Asking Me for Rent

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    My friend and I are 8 months into a year-long lease and today I received a phone call from my landlord's husband telling me to send the checks to a new place (rather than physically hand over the check to the landlord as I've been doing for months). The only other party on the lease (besides my friend and me) is my landlord (the wife) and the husband's name is nowhere to be found.

    I think they are having marital issues but I don't want my housing to be impacted by it. I have brought this up with my landlord and they've told me to continue payments to them, but I feel like I am in the middle of a dispute and am worried about the husband seeking retaliation. I've looked up property records and the husband is the only name on the mortgage. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/twin_bed
    [link] [comments]

    Physician failed to give me test results and I now will have permanent damage for life. No lawyer seems to be able to help me.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    I live in Michigan (I know that can make a difference).

    I'm December of 2019, I rolled over in bed and instantly had a horrible headache. For the sake of keeping the story short — I'm going to give just major details. I went to the ER in our small town and was given a CT due to half my face feeling numb. They came back stating I had swelling on my brain that would normally be consistent with meningitis, but I didn't have a fever so they labeled it a migraine and sent me home. I woke up the next day feeling exponentially worse and was having trouble with speech and balance. My mom rushed me to the larger hospital on the city. They again believed I had meningitis even though I had no fever due to my other symptoms. I asked if they had seen my CT from the day prior and the doctor said "yes". They did a number of labs and then said they felt they should do a lumbar puncture to be safe. They attempted FOUR in the emergency room where I felt horrible electric pains down my right side multiple times. I was told they could only collect traumatic fluid and needed to send me to IR for them to complete the lumbar puncture.

    We waited 6 hours when a nurse came in and asked how I was feeling. I was feeling A MILLION times worse. The nurse apologized but said some of my labs came back and wanted to know if my white cell count was always low. I said yes, it usually was, and that if it was still today then was the IR lumbar necessary? I obviously didn't have an infection. They said I could speak with the doctor about it and they'd send them in then left after saying IR was going to be ready for me soon.

    The doctor never came in and IR came to get me anyways. I went believing that must mean my doctor felt I should go. The doctor asked the nurse if they ordered pressures and she said no so he said "guess I'm not doing it then!" And removed 8 ml of spinal fluid. By the time I got back to my room, I felt like I was going to die I was in so much pain and felt so unlike myself. The doctor finally came in saying that if I DID have meningitis, he felt it was viral but it was probably just a migraine and sent me home.

    My primary care doctors nurse called the next day as they had seen my ER visits and wanted to see how I was feeling. She said "so what are they doing about the Chiari?" No doctor had EVER mentioned this to me. I had an 8mm Chiari herniation seen on the CT that first night in the ER that was checked by a doctor THAT night per my medical record.

    Long story short — I finally found a neurosurgeon who would help me after I lived partially paralyzed for 2 months, had 4 grand maul seizures in less than an hour, was having trouble swallowing diagnosed in the hospital, had debilitating headaches every day. She told me after looking at my new MRI that my cerebral tonsils were wrapped tightly around my brain stem and that was causing an array of problems and I could likely die if I didn't have surgery soon. She also diagnosed me with EDS and POT's. I had surgery in February and was in the ICU due to so much swelling on my brain from her trying to correct it and I now was completely paralyzed.

    I ended up having to go to a rehab facility to re-learn how to walk and I still have an array of issues. I'm now dealing with major depression and anxiety from my trauma as well as major life changes. For the last 4 years I had run 3 miles a day and was a powerlifter. I worked a job that I had only dreamed about that now I can't do because I can't look at computer screens or ANY screens for longer than short periods of time. I have damage to my vestibular system and have now been diagnosed with having a non-traumatic brain injury. My balance, nerve damage, vision problems, along with many other things I'm told will never go away. It was determined that they believe this all started because of a CSF leak that they misdiagnosed the first night in the ER along with not telling me my Chiari diagnosis.

    Help. My life is completely changed. I HAVE completely changed and I'm still trying to come to terms with that. Things would be SO different if they had told me. I would have never allowed the lumbars because Chiari is listed as a DO NOT DO. I worked in the ER for many years.

    Now what?? Do I have options?

    submitted by /u/BitterlyRadiant
    [link] [comments]

    Employer didn't let me know I was eligible for health benefits for 2 years

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 07:56 PM PDT

    I work for a company through a contracting agency. My initial contract had me working part-time. Soon after, I began to work 30+/weeks on average. I learned today that I have been qualifying for full-time status for 2 years since my hours were increased 2 years ago. The agency never told me I qualified for full-time nor did they ever offer health benefits or open enrollment information to me. I work remotely so any communication to me is done through email. I do not receive any emails regarding open enrollment of health benefits eligibility.

    Instead, I have been having to pay out of pocket for health insurance with no dental or vision insurance.

    The agency was fully aware that I was working 30+ hours a week (because of timecards) but was not enrolled in health benefits (since they never offered it to me).

    Is the onus on me to figure out that I had been qualifying for full-time status since 2 years ago? I feel like they had all the information but neglected to notify me. There was no indication in the initial contract that full-time is defined as 30+ hours/week. It only says the contract is for part-time with an expected weekly hours of "24 hours or less". Questioning if the onus is on the employee to figure out when they qualify and to request health benefits.

    The agency would typically contribute $250+ per employee health plan. Since they did not tell me I could enroll in health benefits (by saying nothing), they have likely been keeping that money themselves.

    I'm extremely upset, because I have had to turn down x-rays that I needed due to the cost, and I've had to pay for Kaiser's least expensive plan for 3 years, which is not cheap at all.

    Location: SF Bay area, CA

    submitted by /u/stopstudyingstrife
    [link] [comments]

    Employer sends any possible COVID case home, and forces PTO to be used, but it's unexcused absence of you don't have any.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 06:49 PM PDT

    We have a medical team onsite, and if approached for any reason that may be a COVID symptom, you get sent home, and your badge is turned off for 14 days, or until you can prove you don't have COVID. That's fair to me. And then for those days you aren't working, you have to use your PTO. Also fair, it's company given, and the company can take it. However, when you run out of your yearly given PTO, and you still are not able to come to work, you get unexcused absences. They are requiring you to come to work, but not even letting you come in.

    submitted by /u/AngelOfDeath771
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord asking me to take questionable steps (OR)

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 05:38 PM PDT

    I am on a joint lease (or so I thought) with three other people. One individual on the lease has stopped paying rent after recently moving in and we were looking at options to remove them. I reached out to the landlord and something interesting came up - our fellow lessee who has not been paying rent also never finished her paperwork in its entirety. We received notification that she had been approved and thought that the end of it - but she's not actually on the lease. The landlord has advised me as she is not on the lease I should give her a 48 hour notice, but that seems like a short period of time and I'm not sure that falls within legal guidelines, but given that the lease outlines no one can live there without being on the lease that may supersede existing laws regarding notice time frames. Could I be held liable if I follow the property managers instructions and give her a 48 hour notice?

    submitted by /u/lxwolfhopexl
    [link] [comments]

    Statutory rape 13 years ago

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 07:36 PM PDT

    My younger sister confessed to me today that when she was 16 she was raped by my friend who was 21. This occured in California. I know the laws have changed fairly recently. I am lost in navigating the statute of limitations. Is it too late to take this to court?

    Edit: added state

    submitted by /u/OlivesAndOilPaints
    [link] [comments]

    i was placed onto a businesses payroll without my knowledge or consent for the past 7 weeks, most likely a fraudulent claim for the PPP that was released with the stimulus package.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    I just found out that for the past 7 weeks, i have been "cut" a check for the past 7 weeks for significantly more than i made when i actually worked at this POB (75% pay increase). 40 hours every week, and i have not seen a dime of this.

    I feel like there are at least 3 different ways that this is illegal. what are my best options moving forward? Obviously this will effect my taxes at the end of the year, so far i have been "given" $7000".

    Location- Massachusetts.

    submitted by /u/Legal_Recyclable
    [link] [comments]

    My mother will not give me access to my bank account or the checks that family give me.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    So I recently turned 18 and asked my mother for the info for my bank account. She said no and said that she would be controlling it. She is also not giving me the checks that were sent to me for graduation and my birthday. Is there any way I can get my account and my checks.

    submitted by /u/nighthawk1099
    [link] [comments]

    Pay cut a couple of weeks after announcing I am pregnant

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    I have been working for this company for the past few years. At the beginning I received a lot of responsibility and recognition. With that, one of my supervisors advocated for me and I received a large promotion. I have had this promotion for the past year and it hasn't been an issue until about a week and a half ago HR told me that they would be taking it back. Bear in mind that I had just announced I was pregnant. They said that the actual promotion had never been approved and that they can't honor it because the supervisor who originally put it in doesn't work there anymore. They also mentioned that they were trying to make everyone's pay more equal and now they are going to adjust my job title as well as my responsibilities. It doesn't feel like a coincidence that shortly after I announce I am pregnant that they are striping me of more than 10K. It's feel like they are forcing my hand to quit so they don't have to pay my maternity leave. What is the best way forward?

    Location: Colorado

    submitted by /u/11andafoca
    [link] [comments]

    Can I turn off utilities in my house while I'm away to encourage an unwanted party to leave? (NH)

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    My dad passed not too long ago and his gf (who had been jobless and living off him for years) refuses to leave the house at my repeated requests. It was may father's house, and I'm waiting for the probate court to come back with my appointment of executor so I can begin the process to legally evict her. However, that probably won't happen in time before I have to travel away for work a few months out of state.

    She's refused to leave, has no job, and constantly claims she has no where else to go despite having multiple family members in the area. Her family would take her, but she refuses to accept that she has to leave. The will gives her 20% of the proceeds from the house once it's sold, and in her mind that means she is partial owner (which is not true). I don't want to pay for the utilities for her to live there while I'm away, and I'm hoping turning them off will incentivise her to leave.

    Would this be an illegal act? It's summer time, and rather warm so I wouldn't be putting her in danger, and all the utilities have since been transferred over to my name. Even if I can just turn off the power, that should be enough. I'm seriously at a loss on how to get this woman out so I can start cleaning and preparing to sell the house.

    submitted by /u/Fuklebark
    [link] [comments]

    is this abuse? or am i just ridiculous?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 09:36 PM PDT

    posting this from a throwaway. my mother and father are both drug users of cocaine currently. my father suffers from withdrawals very aggressively ever since I was little he used to hit me repeatedly for things that didn't matter in my eyes (killing a guard in a video game for fun in an area where i was "ultimate lifeform" smashing things to intimidate me. he has hit my head against concrete corners (window sills(might be spelled wrong)) my mother is verbally aggressive to the point of keeping me from my sister because they aren't great friends due to the abuse she claims that I'm also now going through. my mother also threatened to have my father beat me every time I try to explain anything in an issue just to get everything to stop. my mother beats a child she doesn't have full custody over which she tells me to never tell anyone she even touches him but he is one and doesn't deserved to be hit full force like that. my mom hates my sister now and my dad threatens to hit me if I even mention her or how i would like to see her at all. I'm fed and clothed so I'm not abandoned or neglected I know. but when i think of abuse I'm scared for my life and personal safety. they tell me that I'm spoiled and a horrible child often but my sister tells me that they want me to think that. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place I just really want some help in this. if it is abuse what should I do?

    edit for the bot: im am in florida

    submitted by /u/throwawayofmine141
    [link] [comments]

    Unfair Rent Increase?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 09:18 PM PDT

    Hey guys! So earlier in January before the COVID 19 bs went down, I signed a lease at an apartment in California with my friends for a 4x3, and it was $750 for rent. (This apartment is for Fall 2020 btw.)Yesterday they called me to tell me that the room I'm renting (private bed private bathroom) now costs $840 a month. $90 increase! There's a new lease with the new rent price that I have yet to sign. I have my original lease and the new lease and have been reading it and so far nothing in both leases state that they can suddenly change my lease/increase my rent. I will be calling them tomorrow and asking but would like some advice on how to proceed.

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/toastedbiscuitx
    [link] [comments]

    Signed a contract to be hired as salaried employee, filled out w-4 but was given a 1099 for 2019 instead. Didn't get paid for 2 months, now they want money back from me...

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 09:16 PM PDT

    I signed paperwork (employment contract, w-4, and a form with my bank info for direct deposits [State of Michigan]) in mid-October. By the end of 2019, I never received a formal paycheck or direct deposit. I was to be paid on the first of the month. My first payday, I was given a personal check. Each payday after that I got paid by wire transfer to my bank account (not direct deposit). My first check was on time, but each payment after was increasingly late, to the point the last time I got paid was for Jan 1 to Jan 31 on March 12th.
    So back to the 1099 issue. On January 1st I wasn't paid for the work I did in December. I had to reach out to the owner of the company via email and tell him I had not been paid. After numerous emails asking for my income, and my W-2 to begin doing my taxes, on January 30 2020, I was wired my income (with taxes withheld for that month, but with 2019's previously withheld taxes included) that was due to me on January 1, 2020. I was also emailed a 1099 with this excuse:

    "For 2019 you were set up as a 1099 employee not a W2 employee within our payroll system which is part of the reason for the confusion. Because of this you will be reimbursed all amounts withheld for tax purposes in 2019. For 2019 that amount to be reimbursed is $####. A 1099 is attached for your tax filing purposes which reflects your total gross pay of $##### pay received for 2019."

    I never challenged them on this as I was thinking "Oh, this is easier for them to rectify 2019, and I am just happy I finally got paid after a month, but in 2020 I am back to what the contract says as a salaried employee".

    Here is the wording from the contract, proving I was hired as a full-time employee

    "[COMPANYNAME] is offering a full time position for you as Acquisitions Leader reporting to
    [BOSS' NAME]/Michigan team lead starting on October 15 2019. This role can
    primarily be remote, as business hours do not revolve around the typical 9-5 schedule.
    Expectations regarding this will be further outlined during on boarding. "

    There is a 2nd part to this story where I claim they owe me money for being a salaried employ until April when I had a conversation with my boss that essentially ended my employment. I was not paid for February or March of 2020. I had a lawyer friend send them a letter to which they made a counter offer of paying me 1 month instead of the 2. Part of the terms were if I did not accept, they would hire a lawyer, which I did decline to accept and they did hire a lawyer. Now I have a letter from their lawyer saying I didn't do any work in December or January, and they want their money back. Their main claim is I was never an employee at their company and that I was hired as an independent contractor (who did 0 work).

    One more thing (sorry I know this is long), they are claiming that my boss came to my house, and left a termination letter in my mailbox on Feb 27 2020. A "copy" of this termination letter was attached to their lawyer's letter to me. Something that is an outright lie. I have emails and text messages from my boss whom we are discussing work and my lack of being paid in 1.5 months. Not once in a string of texts or emails does he mention I don't work for him anymore or that he left a letter in my mailbox.

    Not really sure what to do at this point. I have not filed my taxes using the 1099 yet, but does accepting it without saying anything make me a contractor. Does the contract hold any water. I do plan on hiring a lawyer, but just wanted to crowd source this too. Thank you for reading!

    submitted by /u/PorkchopManwiches
    [link] [comments]

    [Alabama] My late father named a stranger as the executor of his estate, who is pretty elusive. How do I obtain a copy of my father's will?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 10:14 AM PDT

    I have a somewhat estranged relationship with my father, who has 2 other biological children along with myself. He spoke with all 3 of us kids intermittently on the phone, but we haven't seen our father in about 10 years or so. He passed away ~2 weeks ago and had pre-planned most elements of his funeral. While in town for services, through the grapevine, that he had a will and named one of his church members as the executor of his estate. Supposedly, the will included benefits for his 3 surviving children. (The only property I know he had is a house which he listed for sale for about half a year before he passed, but is still not sold yet. The home has about 100k+ property value increase. He also owned a business at one point in time and I believe did quite well for himself, though I'm not sure if he had any monetary assets/debts related to the business as I believe he was retired.)

    I contacted probate court in the county where my father lived and asked if they could do a record search to see if my father had a will, but the woman on the phone refused. She told me that the executor or the attorney holds onto the will and the state doesn't have anything to do with that. Basically, she told me to reach out to my father's attorney (I don't even know if he had one?) or the executor.

    So, I tracked down the name and phone number for the supposed executor, but I'm really cautious about how to go about asking him about a will. Nobody in my family knows who this person even is and my father never mentioned him. For some reason, he was very involved in he funeral process as my father had apparently given him all the information (since none of the family lived nearby). In the one time I spoke with him, I didn't mention anything about my father's will -- I simply thanked him for helping with the funeral services. I wanted to wait a few days to compose myself emotionally before calling him up and asking questions about my dad's estate. When I spoke on the phone with him, all he said was that he was sorry for my loss and that if I was ever in the area again to find him as he would take me to lunch. I tried calling him a couple of times over the past 2 days and his phone goes straight to voicemail. I haven't left a message because I don't know what to say. And I can't locate him on any social media or find an address or any trace of any person tied to his phone number.

    TLDR - My estranged father passed away and before he passed, he supposedly wrote a will naming a friend as the executor of his estate. How do I obtain a copy of the will if the supposed executor doesn't seem to have any information they want to share with me?

    submitted by /u/Hematomawoes
    [link] [comments]

    Update 1: My neighbor wants to have access to my addition roof

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 06:14 AM PDT

    Thank you so very much for all the support and guidance on this. Things I forgot to mention about this particular neighbor is that the owner is also the owner of a construction business that specializes in flipping and reselling homes in the area. The workers doing the work are his. The home across the street was done by him.

    My husband called them back and discussed our concerns and the gentleman was flippant at best. (Not to mention the first time he called they said it was the wrong number and refused to speak with him because they normally talk with me. I had to text them and tell them to speak with my husband. They know he's my husband, I gave them both our contact information. This whole thing is just getting more and more bizarre.) He continued to tell us it was in all our best interests if we just allowed to finish as quickly as possible. My husband asked them for plans and confirmation of license and bonding and all sorts of other details to which he was met with of course of course, I'll get that to you later but we need on your property tomorrow.

    So with that out of the way, the course of action I have determined is to tell them that currently they are not allowed on my property at the advice of my counsel (which I don't have yet, but am working on.) I have reached out to several local real estate attorneys in my area and hope to get a call back today.

    I did get a hold of the City last night and they assured me they would send someone out as soon as possible from the Coding Department to inspect. Much like everyone here they continued to tell me that I do NOT have to let them on my property. I f

    I spent most of last night hating myself for being a Karen, and going back and forth on whether or not I should be standing my ground and two wrongs etc. I don't know how to read a permit, am I translating it wrong? Am I making a big deal out of nothing? But who gives one day notice on something like this?

    Anyway, that is my current update, and since I had so many responses I will continue to post updates until this is resolved (hopefully peacefully.)

    Again, thank you all for your support. This is my first home and I have never had to navigate something like this.

    submitted by /u/FoxyCFox36
    [link] [comments]

    Denied a job in law enforcement because I was sexually assaulted? Can this actually happen?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 10:14 PM PDT

    So I applied for a job in law enforcement/criminal justice some time ago (won't specify the actual job for discretion), but I live in Canada for reference. After applying, I received a letter in the mail stating something to the effect of "because you are/have been involved in a criminal court case within the past 3 years... you are not a valid job candidate". I was disgusted when it dawned on me that the only reason I received that response was because I was raped about a year prior, and I did go to the police, file a report, and was set to testify. I won't get into the details here or explain what happened with the case because that's an entirely different story. I'm wondering, can they really do that? Deny me as an applicant because I was a victim of sexual assault? It's upsetting because I wonder if I will ever have a future in law enforcement, and have always wanted to pursue it. My dream job lies in law enforcement. I wonder now if they will ever consider me as a candidate. Reddit please help!

    submitted by /u/Bexaroni
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment