• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 12, 2020

    Legal Advice - My car was hit by a girl in a university parking lot. Her mom was my car insurance agent. Advice?

    Legal Advice - My car was hit by a girl in a university parking lot. Her mom was my car insurance agent. Advice?


    My car was hit by a girl in a university parking lot. Her mom was my car insurance agent. Advice?

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 05:59 AM PST

    About 3 years ago during college, a girl hit my car in the college's library parking lot. Cops got called, and I was told that no police report would be written because the accident happened in a parking lot. I go home, call my insurance agent, and it turns out that my insurance agent was her mom. As a dumb college student, I believed her when she assured me that the accident would not be anybody's fault and that there wouldn't be any claims to my insurance. 3 years later, I find out that my car insurance has rocketed to $500 a month, and my new insurance agent told me that the accident from 3 years ago was posted as my fault and that my insurance had to cover the girl that hit me. Is there anything I can do about this? Is this considered a conflict of interest? Thanks for any help! Also, remove this post if this isn't appropriate here (@ admins).

    submitted by /u/greentealattte
    [link] [comments]

    I (32M) filed for divorce. Awarded TPO due to violence from spouse, (32F). I was clearing up space on sons iPad, and came across videos of my wife recording her conversation with lawyer. Georgia.

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 12:17 AM PST

    (time stamp 10am) admitting to smoking weed, cheating, and physical violence. She was served TPO AT 6pm same day of her recording her conversation on sons iPad. I just became aware of this videos existence today. Can I give this to my lawyer In support of my case? Since she was the one who recorded it on our sons iPad

    submitted by /u/Rogue88Status
    [link] [comments]

    Arrested for DUI while having dinner in my house. Mississippi

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 11:24 AM PST

    It's a long story but I'll keep it short. Last night I had a verbal altercation with on of my neighbors who is a cop. He was off duty and was blocking the road with his personal car. He said he was allowed to because he's a cop, so when I got home, I called to file a complaint.

    While eating dinner, a cop showed up to take my statement, but when I walked outside, there were 6 cops in my yard telling me that I have no right to argue with a cop.

    One of them asked how much I had to drink because I smelled like alcohol (I had a glass of wine with dinner) and told me to take a field sobriety test and I refused (I was pissed, I was eating dinner) so the next thing I know I'm in handcuffs and being taken to jail.

    They make me do the tests, which I did in front of a camera and perfectly, but wouldn't let me do a breathalyzer because it was "broken".

    My question is: WTF? I've never had a dui, never been arrested, no record. WTF? After passing I was still cited with a dui and disorderly conduct.

    And remember, I was at home, they just said that because I was driving before I got home and now I smelled like alcohol, it's cause for a sobriety test.

    Am I screwed? Is this an easy win?

    submitted by /u/you_dont_no_me
    [link] [comments]

    Teacher disclosed disability without permission

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 02:17 PM PST

    I have a family member who is currently in a transition school to help teach him life skills due to a disability. He recently got a job and chose to not disclose his disability as it did not affect his ability to perform the job and he needed no accommodations. I noticed that his hours were cut recently and upon asking with my family member, we learned that one of his teachers went to his employer and told them of his disability and got his hours cut as a result. She has never been given permission to do this and it has caused a lot of pain for my family member who felt belittled by the teacher's actions. She has previously done this after learning of him receiving a job offer two years ago, which resulted in the employer rescinding the offer. We chose to let that go at the time, but told her to never do it again. Do we have any recourse we can take to prevent her from manipulating in his life like this without any permission? I don't know much about the ADA, but it seems like disclosing a disability of an employee to an employer to reduce their hours would in someway be related to the ADA. I appreciate any insight or advice anyone has to offer. We live in Minnesota.

    submitted by /u/Cwfreak123
    [link] [comments]

    Grandparents died. No will. I'm next of kin. What do I do?

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 08:34 PM PST

    So, my brother and I are the next of kin for our Grandparents who suddenly died in a house fire. My mother and uncle died 2 and 3 decades ago. We do not know of any will. We also do not know anything about what we have to do as "surviving next of kin". What do we do now?

    We spent some time in the dark looking for any important paperwork such as Government ID cards, Insurance and bills. We were only able to find a couple of expired Military ID's in the bottom of a dresser that didn't burn fully. These ID's had their social security numbers and state Driver's license as well. We were unable to find any other important documents.

    The county wants the rubble taken care of in 10 days. I don't have the money to hire a demolition crew. How do we find out if they had homeowners insurance that can take care of this? How do we contact the insurance once we find out? How do we prove their deaths?

    How do we resolve any other estate issues such as bills and bank accounts?

    How do we claim their bodies to cremate or bury them? And on that note, how do we find out if they had life insurance?

    I'm trying to keep my cool to think through everything but it's tough working through the emotions.

    We live in Texas since I know location can affect legal things.

    Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can share.

    submitted by /u/e1337ninja
    [link] [comments]

    Fake racist screenshots

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 04:16 AM PST

    Location: California

    I am in high school. Recently, there have been many social media accounts made to expose racists. They post screenshots of people exhibiting discriminatory behavior. One account on Instagram posted a fake screenshot of me

    In their bio, they tell you to DM them with screenshots. Somebody recently DMd them a fake screenshot of me being islamophobic. They posted it and tagged me. The comments are all expressing disgust at me, and I am receiving harassment.

    I didn't say any of that; somebody edited it. How do I prove it wasn't me, and can I find the person who did this?

    submitted by /u/Apprehensive-Gap-787
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have a case? Happened in Texas

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 07:48 PM PST

    So my service dog was stolen last year. I filed a police report at the time. I recovered the dog after five weeks, but then two weeks later he was stolen AGAIN by the same people (early this year). Situation surrounding the second theft was he was placed with an animal shelter while I was in the hospital (I was told I couldn't have him in the hospital and he was placed with the shelter so he could be cared for while I was hospitalized), I was told I could recover him upon discharge since he's my service animal, but when I was discharged I was given the run around. Found out later that the reason for that being the thieves had somehow found out the situation and had contacted said animal shelter telling them I was an animal abuser and that my service dog was abused (untrue). The shelter then apparently went against their own policies to hold the dog, pretending to the public that they didn't even have the dog, for several days for the thieves to come and get him, where they paid the shelter $300 and were given legal "adoption" paperwork for him. Since it was an animal shelter, they had erased his microchip and the thieves were able to put their information on his chip.

    I want to sue them for the first theft, since I don't think I have any ground on the second one, but I don't know if I even have a case? I'm concerned that the second time because of the surrounding circumstances will somehow prevent me from being able to sue them for the first theft? Please help!

    submitted by /u/Turbulent-Moose-1698
    [link] [comments]

    Roofers made a repair without consent

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 04:03 PM PST

    Hello all. Thanks for looking at this, it doesn't even feel like real life.

    I have been getting estimates from different companies for a roof repair/replacement. I had a company come through who provided me with a quote for both. I told him I'd have to discuss it with my wife and would get back to him. The next day a roofer from that company came to my house. I work overnights so I was asleep. My parents were visiting and my dad answered the door. The worker asked my father where the leak was because he was there to repair and my dad showed him. He then came to wake me up to let me know the roofers were here. I was confused because I wasn't expecting anyone. When I got up the roofer was already on the roof and had cut a hole where the leak was. I told him to stop immediately and that I hadn't authorized this repair. He told me he couldn't just leave a hole in the roof and he continued to repair it despite my telling him to stop. The owner sent me a bill of of $1200 and threatened to put a lien on my house when i refused to pay. I told him that I hadn't authorized any repair and that we had no contract. He told me he saw my point but "the fact is you don't have a leak anymore." Then he told me he'd waive the repair cost if I used him to re-do the roof. I'm located in south Florida and I want to know what my options are. I have copies of the text exchanges. I don't feel like I'm obligated to pay him but I'm not sure if there will be repercussions in refusing. Thanks again.

    submitted by /u/CaptMotherClutcher
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor left dog at my house

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 04:36 PM PST

    A few weeks ago my neighbor asked me to dogsit for a couple of days, leaving the dog at my place. After about a week, he messaged me saying he "probably won't come back" for the dog- so I figured I now had a dog. I don't mind, I love the dog. It's now 3 weeks later and my neighbor said he will be getting his dog sometime? Is there anything I can do legally to adopt this dog? I think he's better off with me since the owner just left him here for a MONTH with no intention of coming back until now! I'm in Wisconsin.

    submitted by /u/ricenbeanzz
    [link] [comments]

    I received a letter claiming I owe $20k from an old sallie mae student loan. Credit report shows loan as closed.

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 05:53 PM PST

    I received a letter from an attorneys office (it is a valid one) and it states i owe $20k for an old student loan. This student loan was consolidated back in 2006. I see my credit report shows the loan as closed. I'm not sure what to provide to get them to leave me alone.

    Currently I'm providing a snapshot of my credit report that shows the loan as closed. Any other advice in how to move forward?

    submitted by /u/phenagain
    [link] [comments]

    Company is harassing me after I claimed them as fraud. Is that legal?

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 08:38 PM PST

    basically I ordered an oxygen tank for a sick kitten and paid an extra $500 for shipping however the kitten passed away before it was shipped so I contacted the company and told them not to ship because the kitten had passed. They confirmed that the item had not been shipped. I then asked for a refund for the shipping costs because it was never shipped. They never got back to me so I reported it as fraud to my CC company. Then the owner of the company texted me threatening me saying he will charge my card $25 a day, put a lein on home, have me pay for all the lawyer fees, and foreclose my home. Is that legal or is that a form of harassment or something?

    submitted by /u/jessikamazing
    [link] [comments]

    Big Coat Season?

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 05:27 PM PST

    Ok, so it's been kinda snowy where we live and already have had multiple snow storms. I work for the VA and while walking into work I slipped and fell on the ice in the parking lot. Multiple people slipped on the ice that morning and I busted my lower ribs.

    After taking my report, the "safety officer" told me I wasn't dressed appropriately and workman's comp would probably deny my claim. The reason? I was dressed in a sweatshirt and not a "big coat" for winter, therefore preventing my broken ribs.

    It's November and it's not even Big Coat season! It was 20 degrees Fahrenheit that morning and Big Coats aren't really needed around here until it hits below zero!

    My question is, how do I go about getting my claim approved? Should I talk to a lawyer?

    submitted by /u/DirewolfGavin
    [link] [comments]

    I think my stepmom has been using my identity. KANSAS

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 03:25 PM PST

    Hi, I'm in Kansas. Just a very brief intro. I was pretty much a ghost for the past five years. No job. No license/State ID. Nothing. I finally got my crap in order this year and have been doing very well.

    I've been meaning to open a bank account, but have been scared I'd be denied. I decided to request my credit report today and was asked to provide answers to prove it's actually me who is requesting the information.

    One question was asking about an installment account that I apparently opened in October 2018. It wanted to know which credit provider is listed on this account, and the total monthly payment for the above-referenced account. Obviously not me who did this.

    Another question asked which phone number I have used recently. My stepmoms phone number is on that list.

    The next question was asking about an auto loan/lease account that was opened in august 2016. Which also asked for the credit provider and the total monthly payment. Also, not me.

    Now, I've never requested this information before. Is it possible that these questions are untrue, and just used to throw out there to prove I am who I say I am? Even if they are, why would my stepmoms phone number be listed?

    I'm unsure what my next step should be. Any advice on where I should go from here please?

    submitted by /u/GingrSnps
    [link] [comments]

    35(F) 17 weeks pregnant working for small business in CA. I would like some advice regarding current actions being taken by my employer.

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 04:37 PM PST

    I manage a the office of a small company with 22 employees in California and I am 17 weeks pregnant. I had a visit to the ER for a non-pregnancy related condition (mental health/panic attack). I was notified by my employer that I would need a work status report to confirm I am fit to return to work specifically because I left after my work day had begun. This seemed odd to me because at no time in my employment has anyone been asked to provide a note to be able to return to work for this specific reason.

    My doctor has restricted my work to 4 days per week, 8 hours per day without stipulating the condition or why I am restricted because (according to my doctor) my employer does not need to know the specific diagnosis.

    My employer has stated that they will be using my sick time for the one day per week I am out until it runs out and then it will come directly from my Pregnancy Disability Leave since it is "pregnancy related." That was not specified in the note my doctor provided. They have advised me that they will be taking 24 days off of the end of my PDL and that I could file for SDI for the one day per week I am not working (usually work 5-8 hour days/ 40-hours per week). My doctor specifically said she was not writing me out for disability reasons because during pregnancy at this stage, it is highly unlikely that it would be approved and it is not pregnancy related. It is directly related to the stress of my work. We do not have an HR person that I can consult.

    I would like to know A) if they are able to do this, B) what are my rights and where can I find more information C) if I have to disclose to them that it is not pregnancy related.

    submitted by /u/crazyunicornlife
    [link] [comments]

    My ex won't take our son to school on her days. Could I get legal custody?

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 08:14 AM PST

    TL;DR: my ex is refusing to take our son to school, virtually or otherwise, despite a court order.

    I work for a private TK through 12 school that has lots of success. I was very excited that I could sign my son up for transitional kindergarten with the school this year, and assumed his mother would be as well since it's such a great opportunity for only 10% of the total tuition cost.

    I was wrong. She just fought me tooth and nail and refused to sign the necessary paperwork, so back in February I began proceedings have the court make a decision about where our son will attend school (I live in the United States by the way). Then the coronavirus hit, and everything got pushed and pushed and pushed until August, five days before he was supposed to start school. I have a lawyer, she does not.

    The court date comes, and they let us know that due to lack of time, that they would not be able to fully hear the case and that they would make a temporary order until a long cause hearing on a later date. The judge briefly heard our statements, before ruling that I would have the power to decide his schooling until the November long cause hearing. I was disappointed but relieved, and my ex seemed to have accepted the decision.

    Again, I was wrong. In the three months since that decision, my son has missed over 30 classes while with her, all of which I have documented. I also have statements and pictures from her social media which bad mouth me and the school openly. Lastly, our son was supposed to return to hybrid learning (2 days on campus, 3 days off campus). My son and I were very excited, but we would not be able to have him attend until his mom also signed a community agreement regarding his exposure to Covid 19 outside of school. I have it documented that I told her this via email and text, both which were ignored. Verbally to me, she has flat out refused to take him.

    A bit of background on her, she doesn't have a job. She works odd jobs, but I'm fairly certain that despite being 29 years old, she has never paid taxes. I am happily responsible for all of his medical insurance, medical payments, and education. I also pay her money every month though we have 50/50 custody (this was not court-ordered, but I pay it because otherwise she will not have any money to take care of our son.)

    We have our long cause hearing next week. I am confident that the court will rule in my favor regarding school, but my ex has made it clear that a court order is not going to persuade her. Here's my question: do I have enough to try for legal custody? I asked the paralegal in my lawyer's office, but he said without evidence of abuse it's hard to get that decision made, but I have exhausted all of my funds in this drawn out battle. I cant afford to take her to court again and again.

    Thanks for any advice!

    Edit for additional information: My ex has stated that one of the reasons that she does not want our son to attend my school is because it will take too long for her to drive to and from the school to her house (45 min). She prefers that he goes to a school that is closer to her home, but she has not presented any evidence to me or to the court as to the merits or validity of the school. This is all despite her not having a career, and me working two jobs, and ready to make my schedule change however I need to in order to fit his needs.

    submitted by /u/hinkfunk
    [link] [comments]

    Being blackmailed by roommate who moved out without notice to sign a 60 day release form for both of us to vacate the apartment...

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 03:36 PM PST

    I (24f) live in California and signed a 12 month lease with a person I knew. Three months in she moved out without notice and told the property manager she will not be paying for her rent anymore. I only found out about this (her refusing to pay her rent) because the property manager called me. In an attempt to defuse the situation, I found a roommate who would be able to take her place. She was approved but they canceled her application because my previous roommate wouldn't sign to release herself from the lease, even though she already moved out and isn't paying rent. She's telling me the only way she will leave is if I sign a 60 day release form for both of us to vacate the apartment. The property manager also told me she stopped paying rent hoping we would get evicted. Now I'm having to pay the full amount of $1,370 a month or we face eviction. And there's no possible way to get another place because I can't even save up because all of my money is going to rent. My only option is to sue her and take her to small claims court, but I'm not sure how or if that will work because of the pandemic. Please help.

    submitted by /u/starrjazz13
    [link] [comments]

    Parents property was converted to a meth lab and destroyed as a result, what can they do to recover some of the financial loss?

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 02:10 PM PST

    Around 12 years ago, my parents invested a large amount of money into a property in a pretty nice suburban area in California, and the first tenants they rented it out to completely neglected the house, and built a meth lab within it, which ended up being a huge loss for my parents and drove them into bankruptcy. Due to being from overseas, and not knowing enough about the legal system here, they simply cut their losses, and for the most part we have moved on. I recently found out the truth of why we lost that house, and I want to know if there's any way they can recover some of the losses.

    Tldr: tenants built a meth lab in my parents house and destroyed it, is there any way they can recover some of the losses

    submitted by /u/MasterCar7441
    [link] [comments]

    Random people using an easement that runs across my property

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 06:33 AM PST

    So I purchased a house that has an easement that runs parallel to my drive and leads to a 100 acre parcel behind my property. In the deed it states that the easement is for the "grantor himself and heirs for ingress, egress and utility services". Now there are random people who drive by my house constantly because the easement holder gave them permission to hunt on the 100 acres. Can the easement holder legally give permission to others to cross my property?

    Located in Virginia

    submitted by /u/5454aaddff
    [link] [comments]

    I was denied the terms and conditions from a fitness class package. What can I do?

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 09:09 PM PST

    Hello,

    I bought a package of 10 classes from a fitness place in Los Angeles. The classes took place in their studio, with specific equipment. I could only go to one class before the studio was shut down because of Covid.

    Months later, the place re-opened offering outdoor classes, which were completely different to what I initially bought with none of the equipment they had in the studio. I decided to ask for a refund because I wasn't interested in the outdoor classes.

    They told me the classes weren't refundable, and they never guaranteed that the format and time of the class was going to be the same.

    I asked for the terms and conditions that I signed to buy the package. They sent me a receipt and nothing else. After a subsequent request, they just said the classes were not refundable and that they wouldn't reply to any other email about that matter.

    I have some questions:

    1) I remember signing some terms and conditions, but I am not 100% sure. Is this something businesses HAVE to do or is it possible that I actually didn't sign a thing?

    2) Given that the place has refused to send me the terms and conditions, would it be a good idea to fill a formal claim?

    3) Does my case make sense with actual regulations, or am I asking for a refund with no option to be eligible for one?

    submitted by /u/Pomodoro_sinensis
    [link] [comments]

    I (25F) just received a small claims court summons as my ex husband is suing me for one of his debts that I was required to assume responsibility for as part of our divorce.

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 11:09 AM PST

    The debt is for one of his credit cards that I had agreed to take during our divorce mediation. Now I attempted to pay this debt by settling with the collection company for less than the full amount which they accepted, however he then had them cancel the settlement offer and removed my access from the collection account as he doesn't want me to settle he wants me to pay the full amount so that it looks better on his credit report. So now I have no way of making payments on it regardless but he's trying to sue me for it which makes no sense.

    Regardless, the divorce agreement doesn't state I cannot settle the debt just that I assume responsibility for it which I have tried to do but he blocked my ability to do so because it's not what he wanted.

    Now my question is, should I hire an attorney with it only being a small claims court suit or is possible to just represent myself? And what can I expect as a result of this? As I am trying to make payments and my ex removed my ability to do so, so surely there will be no legal recourse for me? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/FLbritxo
    [link] [comments]

    Grandma (83) passed away in a dialysis waiting room clinic (CA). They didn’t notify us (we had to call) and aren’t being specific about what exactly happened. We need closure.

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 11:32 AM PST

    This happened in Southern California and it all happened to fast...

    We asked to see the cameras of the waiting room, we really want to know what happened, but the clinic said they can't show it to us...

    After her treatment (5pm), they left her in waiting room to be picked up by transport and when they found her they claimed she had already passed (5:20). They called the EMTs and they tried to resuscitate. When she hadn't come home (6pm), my mom worried and called the transport driver and the driver told her that the EMTs were with her.... no one called us to let us know what was happening.... is there a broken code of conduct here?

    We feel so bad and really need to know what happened, did she call for help? Was she unsupervised?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/housely94
    [link] [comments]

    I "ran away" what are my options

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 05:49 AM PST

    I have ran away in quotations because I was actually told to leave and now I'm a missing person??

    Also I posted something similar to this but I have new info so I thought I'd add on. I live in CT.

    To sum it up my (16 F) parents are really abusive mentally and until pretty recently they were physically. I'm worried for my own mental health because I'm pretty suicidal and am scared I'm gonna do something to myself I regret. Yesterday we got into an argument and and my dad said he wanted to "f**k me up" but luckily he didn't. That kinda pushed me over the edge because I remembered all the really traumatic stuff they've done to me in the past including smashing my electronics with a hammer, trying to shove my head in a toilet full of feces, smacking me until I said I understood, and much more but I feel like that should show what I mean.

    Anyway yesterday the fight ended with them telling me to leave and my dad said he didn't care because he did the same. He also said if I went with a friend he would press charges on them and their parents so I think he wanted me to sleep on a bench, I'm not sure the logic behind it. My step mom tried to stop me from leaving but she defends his actions and I'm tired of it. I left with the intent on sleeping in a Wendy's bathroom but my friend inisisted I stay with them and their parents until this got resolved. That was last night.

    This morning I woke up to messages from multiple friends saying my parents messaged them and their parents about me. My step mom also said I better be home by the time she wakes up (she sent that at 5am) or things would be worse. I've also been in contact with my sister who said that they plan to take EVERYTHING away from me when I get back. I'll have to sleep on a mattress in the dining room again and I think they also trashed my room because it's happened before. I can't do it. I can't sleep in the dining room again. I can't have them lie to my family members so they all think I'm a dramatic teen. I'm gonna end up taking the easy way out.

    As I type this it's 8:30 am and I'm on my friends couch. I'm planning on leaving soon and obviously not telling my parents where I stayed. I've dealt with CPS and police before and they've done nothing. My dad even bragged that they sided with him. I don't want my friends or myself to end up in jail but I'm having an anxiety attack because everyone thinks I have to go home. Is there any legal way for me to not have to? I also can't stay with other family because they all are my dad's family and ill just end up back with him and my bio mom is a whole separate story. They deny my depression my anxiety my eating disorder my suicidal thoughts. Everything.

    Is there any legal way out?

    Edit: My stepmom isn't a vicitm, she knows exactly what goes on and allows it because she thinks that those punishments are deserved if I give them attitude or talk back. She doesn't get hit by my dad and that's never been a concern or fear of hers. I just mention my dad more because he's more of the problem I have separate stories about her.

    submitted by /u/oldreceipts1
    [link] [comments]

    Senile elderly neighbor lady banging on my windows at night. Am I liable if she falls in my yard?

    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 08:08 AM PST

    I'm in Southern Indiana. I have an elderly neighbor lady who is senile. She insists there is loud noise coming from our house in the middle of the night. She will come over and bang on our windows, curse , and scream at us to "turn that shit down!". We have called the sheriff, adult protective services, and her family. She doesn't remember when the sheriff tells her they hear no noise. This has been going on for a year now. We are looking into a privacy fence for our back yard. However, this will not prevent her from banging on our bedroom window which is located at the from of our house (which she conveniently remembers the location of.). On top of this I have children on the Autism spectrum.

    The ex soldier in me wants to put up a defensive perimeter in front of my windows. My question, am I liable if she falls on my property? What should I do?

    submitted by /u/TKALVIS
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment