• Breaking News

    Friday, November 13, 2020

    Legal Advice - Update: my dad finally got full custody, I won't have to go to my mom's anymore. And her boyfriend is in jail on drug charges.

    Legal Advice - Update: my dad finally got full custody, I won't have to go to my mom's anymore. And her boyfriend is in jail on drug charges.


    Update: my dad finally got full custody, I won't have to go to my mom's anymore. And her boyfriend is in jail on drug charges.

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 06:45 AM PST

    Hi r/legaladvice, just an update to my posts to say that after all the crazy things that went down my dad finally got full custody of me, meaning I won't have to go to my mom's anymore if I don't want to. She's out of jail now, idk if she got reduced charges or whatever or if it's because of COVID but she was released. She's on probation I think, I don't know all the detail. Her bf is in jail for drug charges and hitting a cop. Probably she's going to ditch him now (I hope). She started doing drugs because of him. I really hope she stays clean now that her bf is gone for some time. She's also stopped the threats over child support and the rest. I don't have to see her now and frankly it's great to be free of the drama. It's good for my dad too, he's been a lot more relaxed since we don't have to deal with her anymore. My mom still messages me sometimes but that's it, sometimes I answer and sometimes I don't. Anyway things are going better for me now so it's good.

    submitted by /u/Tylershotwheels
    [link] [comments]

    Every detail of my Sexual Abuse court case is available when you google my full name

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 02:19 PM PST

    Pennsylvania -- I was a plaintiff in a lawsuit when I was a young kid, and when you google my name a detailed document describing what occurred is on the first page of results, along with my settlement, and medical diagnoses. It is published on multiple legal document websites. I have a unique name so there is no mistake it is me.

    I don't want these taken down from the websites they are hosted on because my case has been used to help others in similar lawsuits. And that's the whole reason I agreed to go to court in the first place.

    However, I don't want this information to be so easily accessible to any potential employer or date who googles my name.

    I don't know how it is legal to have such deeply personal information about a minor online.

    Does anyone know if I can get my name and my family member's names removed from these documents? It's super hard for me to revisit this stuff and just worked up the courage to do something about it. So I am hoping someone knows if there is a direct course of action I can take and If I have the legal right to have my name removed.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/cme123459
    [link] [comments]

    Wife's photo being used on in-store advertisement without notice or permission

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 01:09 PM PST

    We're in CA. My wife just got a text showing her in a giant photo banner up at a chain store in a nearby mall. The pic is a candid shot of her shopping and talking to someone (employee/another customer?). This is doubly-weird bc she hasn't seen any sort of notices about photographing customers in the store, and she hasn't given them permission to use her photo.

    What do we do, here? Should we walk in and ask it to be taken down? I question if that would just be spinning our wheels and we should go directly to an attorney?

    submitted by /u/dlayknee
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: Landlord wants my roommate and I to leave everytime there is a showing of the apartment we rent.

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 07:06 AM PST

    First Post :

    https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/iwsh3x/landlord_wants_my_roommate_and_i_to_leave_every/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    TL:DR : Landlord is a creep

    So it's been awhile since a lot of this went down but I keep experiencing issues and there's not much that can be done besides leaving of course. But from where I left off, after consulting with a lawyer, the lawyer sent a strongly worded email to my landlord about how it is illegal to make us leave when she schedules showings and that we will try our best to leave, but it will be completely voluntary. Landlord sent back an email saying that they are very imperative about tenants leaving and that's why it's in the lease. Sent photos of my apartment that she took while at a showing saying that it's a mess and we need to clean up. (Before I moved in it was a frat house, had cigarette butts and liquors bottles and trash all over). But I still cleaned up some clutter anyways. My landlord frequently had showings, sometimes 3 in one day, asking us to leave for a couple hours at a time. She even showed up 40 minutes to one, and I was changing in my living room when they had walked in. She showed up 10 minutes early the second time, I was in the bathroom with the door wide open and walked out to strangers in my hallway. I had even planned to leave for some of these showings, but didn't even get the chance because of how early she showed up. It was honestly such creepy behavior. She wouldn't knock because she claimed we should be gone anyways and then blamed us for the reason why no one wanted to sign a lease for the place. I think maybe it's because the people coming to the showings were seeing how she invaded our privacy tbh. I consistently felt very uncomfortable in my own home. I documented every interaction with her and had lawyer send another email about how it's against her own rules (longer story) to show up early. She is breaking the law etc. She sent another email sounding angry, blaming my roommate and I on her not being able to sign a lease, blames us for a weed smoke smell (not us but our upstairs neighbors), but she then backed off a little. Had more showings, she showed up on time, but still didn't announce herself or knock. Fine whatever, at least I could prepare. Then finally people signed the lease and we didn't have to deal with it anymore. But recently I walked out to my living room while being home alone to the maintenance man. Didn't even know he was there and he had been there for hours. That was creepy. I can't wait for this to be over.

    submitted by /u/gtaslut
    [link] [comments]

    Healthcare worker contacted by previous employer's attorney about a former patient

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 04:48 PM PST

    I got contacted about a patient I took care of about 3 years ago by an attorney who is acting on behalf of the hospital I worked for. Since that time, I have moved out of state and do not work for the hospital anymore. I departed on good terms. I am not named in the lawsuit, but the hospital's attorney has reached out to me stating that I could be subpoenaed by the plaintiff's attorney, and that they think if I meet with them and make a statement, that it may be enough that the judge wouldn't need to hear from me in court. My question is: Am I putting my license at risk by speaking with the hospital's attorney now? I understand that this attorney is the hospital's attorney and not my own and I am worried that they would not act on my behalf even if I do speak with them. If I don't speak with the attorney, what is the likelihood that I will still be subpoenaed by the hospital's or plaintiff's attorney? They have requested to depose me. Should I ask to give a written deposition rather than speak with someone over the phone? What are my options? Should I seek legal advice from a lawyer at this time, or should I contact the hospital's attorney and work with them?

    submitted by /u/extractor727
    [link] [comments]

    [OR-US] Landlord cut off access to our only entrance/exit for ~8 hours without 24 hour notice. They are repeatedly lying about what happened, but we have recordings. We just don't know what to do from here!

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 05:50 PM PST

    Oregon

    I posted previously but wasn't getting responses. I have looked at the landlord tenant info for this subreddit, googled everything I can think of for our city/state, left multiple messages with the local Tenant's Association, and even contacted other landlords. I can't get an answer, and don't have the money for an attorney, but this is repeated behavior on our landlord's part and we fear it's only going to get worse from here. So, I'm posting a summary of the situation in the hopes that it's more straightforward. ANY advice will help!!!

    There's work being done on a vacant neighboring unit. One of the construction workers informed us that there were plans to reroute our stairway, which is the only entrance/exit to our unit.

    We asked when this would be done and how long it would take, he didn't know. We contacted our property management company and they danced around the bush. After days of pestering them, they informed us at 6pm (via email) that the job would take place the following morning, at 8am, and be done in an hour.

    We were annoyed that we didn't get 24 hour notice but couldn't find anything online that said it was required if they weren't coming into our unit. Plus, we figured, it's only an hour so we can plan around it.

    Long story short, the job took 8 hours. The construction workers left multiple times throughout the day, while the stairway was completely inaccessible. I had to cancel multiple important appointments, and our dog was holding it all day (she won't go inside the house, even if it's an emergency).

    At the two hour mark I contacted the leasing agent and manager asking to know when this would be done. At most, they would only say they were contacting the workers. Shortly afterward, someone started angrily knocking on our door. This happened 3x in 10 minutes.

    I didn't answer because 1) pandemic, I don't know these people, and I'm immunocompromised 2) I have work meetings via Zoom almost all day, with only a few minutes in between, and do not have time to answer. 3) I want all communication from them in writing, due to past problems, which I've explained to them multiple times.

    They are now saying that access was never blocked, so they didn't have to give 24 hour notice, because I could've left anytime.

    This is BS. The area where the stairs were cut is 3+ feet off the ground. I would have had to jump (I have a leg injury), step on areas that weren't secured to anything (aka just freestanding stairs), be within inches of people I don't know who weren't wearing facemasks, and/or carry our 50 pound dog while doing all of the above.

    We have video footage of most of the time they were here.

    This company lies constantly. But this time, we have proof.

    My main question is... I know that entering without 24 hour notice carries a penalty. Is there a similar penalty for cutting off all access to our unit? Emergency access included, this is literally the only way to get in/out of our apartment.

    Even if you can point us in the right direction, it would be so helpful. Like I said, I feel like I've exhausted all the options I can think of, and still don't have an answer.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Fluffy_Self_5321
    [link] [comments]

    Home improvement store not fulfilling my purchase.

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 05:37 PM PST

    Missouri Back in June I paid for several thousand dollars worth of lumber. I picked up some of it and am still owed around $800 worth of lumber. The company somehow deleted the order and are refusing to give me the rest. I have a copy of the receipt and several of the loading tickets that show what I picked up. It's been 3 weeks since I was denied the product I paid for and I have called the corporate office multiple times and the local store is still not responding.

    Is it worth contacting a lawyer? Can I ask for damages as it has taken so long to get the product I paid for?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/SamAndDaveArePigs
    [link] [comments]

    Live animal package missing for 3 days, looking for advice on how to pursue our animal's missing days.

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 05:16 PM PST

    Some background information... We sell reptiles occasionally and use FedEx shipping to get our animals to their new homes. The only drop off that we could find near our location (found via calling locations and asking if they allow live animal overnight priority packages to be dropped off) that would accept a live animal package was a local pack and ship business that works with FedEx, UPS and USPS. Walgreens drop offs do not take live animal packages so that was off the table.

    Wednesday the 4th I dropped my animal in it's approved packaging at the pack and ship location. The son of the owner was there. He asked me about what was in the package, which is not unusual since most people are curious when they see the live animal box. I showed him pictures and talked about her and where she was going. He asked me about price cause he really wants a new reptile. I told him and he said my animal was dope. That was the end of our conversation and I went to work.

    Later in the afternoon I noticed the tracking information was not being updated. I called the shop to confirm that my animal had been picked up by FedEx. The son of the owner answered the phone after many call attempts and said that it had and that I shouldn't worry about the tracking because they often forget to scan the packages.

    The next day I wake up and my package has not been scanned at all. At this point I begin to worry that she is lost at an airport somewhere, left on a loading dock, any number of terrible circumstances. I called FedEx and they said they had no record of the package being picked up. At this point I assume they are very wrong and every hour or so I call back to push the matter and demand that someone find my missing animal. The buyer is also worried. I'm sure I sounded like I was trying to scam her since I had already been paid for my animal but there was no information on its whereabouts even though I said I had shipped it. She was an amazing customer and gave me the benefit of the doubt, spoiler alert, she did get her new baby and they are both very happy.

    Late that evening I finally get somewhere with FedEx. My case is given to a lovely gentleman we'll call A. He called UPS, FedEx ground and FedEx express as well as the shop owner (somehow he found her private number since the shop phone wasn't being picked up). A made UPS search all the vehicles that serviced the zip code the shop was in and made sure that my animal was not at any of their offices, vehicles, or loading zones. He also called all the FedEx locations which said they had no evidence that my package was picked up. This was in the evening so the people that would have actually been to that location were not present. The shop owner said she looked at the surveillance footage and a FedEx driver for sure picked up the package. She also mentioned that two envelopes she sent out the same day did not get scanned and reiterated that sometimes they just do a bad job (dropping packages on the side of the road, not scanning tracking info, insert complaining about how terrible FedEx is). All that was left at this point was to accept that my animal was not going to be delivered Thursday as expected and to plan to call around on Friday.

    Friday during the day A did not hear back from any of the first shift FedEx staff. After work (I got off early this day) I decide to drive out to FedEx ground. I wait around for a manager which takes forever. She gets in contact with the driver that picks up from the shop and asks the driver to check their vehicle (even though this has been done the night before), they also check throughout the facility and come up empty handed. The manager suggests I drive to the FedEx Priority facility that's over an hour away to push them to do some more thorough searching. So I do that. Those poor people have been put through the ringer at this point between me and A bugging them about this missing animal package.

    At FedEx Priority, the manager there ensures a rigorous search and comes up empty handed again. I got to speak with the driver and he confirmed he never picked up my package. At this point we learn something fishy. The envelopes the shop owner sent were scanned by FedEx and they have proof of their pick up. The FedEx manager calls the shop owner to have her double check the surveillance footage again (A has pestered her about this footage multiple times as well at this point). This time she insists that it is a USPS person that picked up the package. I have just spent over 4 hours driving around and bothering people while believing if I didn't get my animal back it would likely get too cold and die as the heat pads wear out only to learn it may actually be sitting in an office at a USPS near me.

    The owner then offered to pickup the package for us. While talking with A, he seemed skeptical that the owner would be able to do this. But we coordinated to meet near the shop to get our animal back. We drive out that way and can't seem to get ahold of her any longer. She texts back and says that she will actually get the package tomorrow (Saturday 11/7). We have no power here so we agree to meet at her convenience.

    The next day! Saturday. I am working but texting her regularly. She says she is quarantining because she might have Covid. But her son will meet us somewhere. It's worth noting she also offered to drop off the package at FedEx for us but I declined since the heat pads at this point would be useless and our poor baby would freeze on the plane. I texted and called her multiple times that morning between 8am and 11am before finally getting a response. While on the phone with her she said that when they pick up the package they would open it to make sure my animal is still alive. I told her in very clear language not to do that because I need to film opening the box because if the animal is not alive I would need that video to make an insurance claim with FedEx. I also reiterated this via text message.

    My husband met the son at a Publix location and filmed the return of our baby girl. The son immediately explained that they had opened her box before bringing her to the meeting place. My husband questioned him and explained again that we had asked them not to do that and the son said they just wanted to make sure she was okay. Not only was her box opened, but the tupperware inside the box which she was secured in had been opened. I had taped it shut to make sure if it was a bumpy ride she would not escape the tupperware and that tape had been removed. For whatever reason, they felt the need to take her out of the container, that is half clear (you could easily see she's alive and moving around by just looking).

    At this point we were pretty sure that something nefarious had happened. Someone was lying in this story. I asked her if she could send us either video or still shots of our package being picked up by USPS, as she said they had. She said sure. But not until the 13th, which is when she is off of her two week quarantine. Of course I agreed and thanked her profusely.

    On Tuesday I did a little investigating of my own though. I drove to the local USPS that would have picked up the package by mistake. They had no recollection of the package, nor hearing about it. They directed me to a larger USPS where I could find a manager and possibly speak to the driver. They also said that they would never release a package to anyone but the two people on the label (sender and receiver), this was mirrored by the USPS customer service line.

    Thursday(11/12) I make it out to the USPS Annex where all the delivery vehicles sleep. I spoke to a manager there as well as the driver that picks up at the shop location. Neither of them had any knowledge about the package (I don't think I've mentioned, but it's a remarkable box, large lettering, RUSH LIVE ANIMAL on the side, lots of color, and a white background rather than cardboard, not something you see everyday). The manager said he asked around and no one released such a package nor would they have released it to anyone other than the sender or receiver. All I can do at this point is thank them and hope someone is remembering incorrectly.

    Today (11/13) I have been trying to be very patient with this woman. She seems to have any number of excuses why she can't send me even a screenshot from her phone (which on the 6th she was able to view the video from her phone which is how she claimed FedEx/USPS picked up). She says she still has Covid and her son and husband can't login to the security footage for whatever reason. She texts back infrequently and does not pick up my calls. I tried texting the son (whose number we have to coordinate the pick up at Publix) and he has ignored me. She now claims if she tries to view the video it will erase everything, which has happened in the past supposedly and now she needs to get an IT guy to come out to get the video.

    I want to believe that someone at USPS forgot about this all happening and accidentally released my package to someone they shouldn't have but with how everything has played out it feels like the only reason I got my animal back is because I exhausted all outlets and forced the shop owner to return my animal. I imagine that they expected me to simply file a claim, get the money from FedEx and go about my way. But this is an animal I raised by hand and cared for, isn't the fact that it's an animal lost somewhere enough to pursue its location rather than accepting it's a lost cause?

    I am super suspicious right now. I went to the police and they said they couldn't do anything to get the video footage. They suggested I call our local civil court. I called the civil court and they said I need to get a subpoena but that they didn't know how I should go about that.

    Ideally the shop owner would send something to me so we could lay all of this to rest. But if they really did steal my animal, get cornered, and return it, I don't want to let these people continue handling other peoples' packages. I don't necessarily feel like I should sue, I got my animal back and she's now with her new owner, the only thing I'm out is time, driving, and a whole lot of stress. But I also don't think there should be no repercussions to the suspected actions.

    What do you think we should do?

    Also, a big thanks to you if you read all of that!

    TLDR; Live animal package lost for 3 full days after being dropped at Pack and Ship facility. UPS, FedEx, USPS all say they didn't have it. The shop owner flip-flopped on who they claim to have seen pick it up on surveillance. Shop owner coordinated it being returned after opening the package even though I specifically said to absolutely not open it. Suspecting them of stealing my animal for a few days till they could no longer claim that someone else had it at which point it was returned.

    submitted by /u/Masshuu
    [link] [comments]

    (Maryland) my roommate moved out halfway through our 12 month lease, and thinks he can "sever" himself from the lease

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 04:40 AM PST

    Some background: In June, I moved into a 2-bedroom townhouse with a friend. We both signed the lease, with me as the primary. When we moved in, some of our electrical wasn't working- an outlet and the living room and upstairs landing light switches. We noted these issues to management, and maintenance came out and said it must have been an issue from when the home was renovated recently- but they did not fix it.

    Two months later, I filed a maintenance request. They came out, but said they needed to order a part. My roommate said that he was calling the office to get them to come fix it, though he never filled out a formal maintenance request.

    My roommate had a county inspector look at it, while I filled out another maintenance request, noting the urgency of the situation. After the inspector spoke to them, they promptly fixed it- nearly five months into our lease.

    Now, halfway through our lease, my roommate has moved out. He believes that, since management rented us an apartment with faulty electrical, that the lease was rendered null and void. Therefore, he feels he can move out and sever himself from the lease. I have spoken to management, and they say this is not the case.

    Regardless of the moral implications of him jumping ship and leaving me to pay the rest of rent, or be saddled with the severance payment, is he correct? Because we were rented a house with a possible fire hazard, can he just excuse himself without paying any kind of severance fee? If not, since he is still in a legally binding contract, should I hold him to that to pay his fair share of what he agreed to pay?

    Thanks all.

    submitted by /u/BeardedOland
    [link] [comments]

    Pizza shop punishment

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 09:22 AM PST

    At work, a pizza place that is a chain - they started a new thing where if you mess up you go onto a "shit list" (that's the real name) and whatever you mess up you have to pay for it. Accidentally drop too much chicken? In a rush and put the wrong thing on the pizza? Pay for it.

    Problem is the pizza there is about $25 a pizza and the workers only make minimum wage.

    Now they are bringing out papers all the workers have to sign saying they will pay for any mistakes they make, no matter how much it costs.

    My question is if this is legal? It's a very very busy restaurant, sometimes 20 or more tickets going at a time, everyone running around, and complete chaos - accidents happen....

    I'm just wondering if they are in fact allowed to do that

    Hopefully this is the right flair?

    Akron Ohio

    submitted by /u/TheFunkFox
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord charging me very large move out damages

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 02:54 PM PST

    (Alberta, Canada)

    At the end of September my partner was offered a job contract in another town. As we were renting our home, we gave the provincial required minimum 1 month notice (On oct 1st) to vacate and paid for October's rent. We were month to month renters. We leave the place quite clean. We scrubbed bathroom, kitchen, pulled out the fridge, oven, etc and we had very minimal damages. We left the unit on Oct 11th and we were not unable to complete a move out inspection in person before leaving. We leave the keys with a neighbour to return for us. Two weeks later I receive a call from the rental office stating we had not given notice to move out, and I forward the email I had sent on October 1st, I hear nothing more. Fast foward to November 10th and I still have not received the damage deposit, I call the building and the parent company which owns it. The building manager promises the damage deposit is in the mail and a move out inspection will be emailed to me. The parent company states the move out inspection had been completed on November 5th and I will receive it any day. Today I receive a bill in the mail from the company stating I owe $1050 in damages (also consuming my $950 deposit for a total of $2000 in damages) for many things including failure to return keys, smashed windows, $500 in repainting, broken doors and locks, a complete replacement of the countertops. I asked my neighbour to enquire about it in person for me and they said they confirmed I had returned the keys, but the damages were because they were upset I was breaking a lease without notice. What do I do?

    Feel free to ask for details, I'm fairly upset right now and may have poorly explained some things.

    submitted by /u/Dleduc02
    [link] [comments]

    Mom is deceased, father left the country 30 years ago. Found US bonds in his name.

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 10:46 PM PST

    Can I cash them? What is the legality of this? My father moved to the Middle East 30 years ago and I don't have any contact with him, but I know he is still alive and doesn't intend to return to the US. My mother is now deceased and had these bonds in her possession. There's about a dozen of them. I am next of kin. I can provide mother's death certificate, and I have in my possession my fathers SSN card and passport, as well as my birth certificate. He never left a will or advanced directives, plus I was a minor when he left, so I am not power of attorney or otherwise authorized, as far as I know. I've tried looking online and it mentioned deceased parents bonds, or cashing bonds in the name of a minor, but I can't find anything about a parent that has been no contact for 30 years.

    submitted by /u/rizzo1717
    [link] [comments]

    Fence encroachment - will Owner's Title Insurance cover legal side in Georgia?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 06:17 PM PST

    We did not get a survey done when we bought our house six years ago. We did purchase Owner's Title Insurance. We had a survey done recently and there is no doubt that our neighbor's fence is encroaching our land by about 20 ft. x 70 ft. Our neighbor is refusing to pay anything to have it moved. I won't get into all the long details, but he has a very long, deep history of being completely untrustworthy. We want to get lawyers involved. Will our title insurance pay for this?

    submitted by /u/SouthernYankee00
    [link] [comments]

    Man says I scratched his car and has evidence that makes it seem true, but based on what he told me my car couldn’t have caused it

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 04:11 PM PST

    A man left a note on my car telling me that I scratched his car. There scratches on both of our cars that look like they match, however he claims he noticed it when my car was not there.

    He has pictures and says he wants to work things out with me and not involve insurance, but I'm hesitant since he noticed the scratch on Tuesday evening and I hadn't parked next to him until Wednesday morning

    Should I involve insurance?

    Edit: for more context, the scratch is on his rear left bumper and on my front right bumper.

    From the pictures he sent me (which was when I was parked on that street) a completely different car was parked behind him (which is visible from the reflection of his bumper).

    submitted by /u/zahinlikescats
    [link] [comments]

    New born child. What to do?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 10:15 AM PST

    So the mother of the child is 6 months pregnant and with 3 months to go. We will have a new born to take care of. The mother and I live roughly 2 hours apart. Sucks. Also the mother has no need and doesn't want to co parent. She wants the kid all to herself. But I want it to be 50/50 and I want to be apart of the kids life. My concerns are. She doesn't make a income. Shes 23. And still no income. She also doesn't have insurance. So the child will be on my insurance and since I'm making a income and she isn't . How does this all work? Obviously with a new born they will always give it to the mom unless she can't take care of it. So if you are put in my situation. What would you do? I of course have to take her to court to see my kid since she doesn't want to co parent. But what are some advice and has anyone been in my situation before? It's a really crazy and sad situation.

    submitted by /u/smuck25
    [link] [comments]

    If a spouse doesn't show for a combined divorce hearing what happens?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 10:57 PM PST

    My divorce hearing is Monday for at-fault general indignities, it also is combined with an emergency custody order and ex parte order of protection all rolled into one, I deleted my previous posts but you can possibly glean what is going on. If you want the full story just ask if it helps, it's more drama than a daytime talk show. This is in Arkansas by the way.

    I am the one filing for divorce and emergency custody, she filled an ex parte order of protection in retaliation for a wellness check I had done the day she left by text message that she was taking my son and turned her phone off. She has Bipolar and borderline personality disorder that she refuses to get treatment for, she never even mentioned anything about domestic abuse to the deputy during the wellness check, just said she had been thinking of leaving for a while. She has now made my son change schools 3 times since August, because she wanted to do online then switched to in-person then switched to a new school district when she left.

    Since she had my son with her when she filed for the protection order, she has custody due to the order of protection order, she got it on the 2nd and still has not served me, I am assuming she was going to wait a few days before the hearing to do it but my attorney found it and did his entry of appearance on the 10th.

    The judge agreed to combine all of this into one hearing and made it an expedited hearing instead of waiting until the 30th for her order of protection.

    My question is if my wife doesn't show up for the hearing what happens? I give it a 70% chance she just doesn't show. Will, I just automatically receive custody, the order gets tossed and everything goes in my favor by default?

    Since the judge considered it an emergency hearing I am assuming she can't just skip out without some repercussions but I was just curious about the possible outcomes. Thanks for reading all of this.

    submitted by /u/the_blank_theory
    [link] [comments]

    What is the sentence for 2 counts of contempt of court in New york

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 10:38 PM PST

    My cousin got arrested because she was found in with her boyfriend after there was a court order for them not to contact each other. Her boyfriend got arrested for assaulting her. He has a previous conviction for domestic violence and the police have been to their home other times as well because of the neighbors calling. On his last assault she tried seeing him in jail even after the prison told her not to. For this charge she tried to lie about being a lawyer to see him in jail and she lied in court about what happened which they proved she lied. The judge put a no contact order in place for each of them that they were not to have contact with each other because she always kept trying to see him. But they decided not to charge her for the lying unless it happens again. Her boyfriend out of prison now and she was caught being with him in public. The police have also found a previous time they were together. Even though she doesn't have a record like him and she was the victim she was charged with contempt of court x 2 alongside him. I mean everyone always wants her to leave him but we didn't think she would get arrested too. Is there anything she can do to get the charges dropped and what is the sentence if that doesn't happen.

    submitted by /u/Tip_Future524
    [link] [comments]

    Terrible mistake coming back to haunt me

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 10:34 PM PST

    23 year old in Michigan, I financed a car through right way auto 3 years ago because I was in a bind and really needed a set of wheels to get to and from school and work, and this was the only place that offered me a loan, and I hade no one to co-sign at the time, and like I said I needed the loan sooner rather than later so I could continue working and going to class. My honest understanding from what I remember is that I was agreeing to a lease for 18 months that would help build my credit up enough to help me get into a newer car from a dealership if I made my payments on time. I made all of my payments on time up until the 18 months where I tried to contact right away to see about returning my car. Come to find out that apparently it was not a 18 month lease, but instead it was an 18 month finance period and after that I could refinance for a lower interest rate. The car that was offered to me, and I specifically remember the dealer telling me this vehicle was the only vehicle I was approved for, was a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix with 125,000 miles. The summons that I received today stated that this car was worth 15,000 dollars and some change and I signed the agreement thinking that I could get out of this car and into something newer after 18 months. A Kelly blue book value for this car now is 750-1750 dollars in perfect condition which the car that was provided to me was far from. Is there anything I can do about this or am I basically screwed and will have to pay this amount back? I ended up contacting my financial services and letting them know that the 328 dollar a month payment for my car that would not run anymore was killing me and I could no longer afford the payments, they immediately recommended I default on the loan and they would come and repo the car, which I ended up doing because I was at risk of losing my apartment trying to pay for this car, and now they are suing me for the rest of the amount that I owe. I know I signed the agreement, but I genuinely feel like I was a. Misguided/rushed through the entire process of getting this car and b. The amount that I have paid for this car (~10,000) is way more than what the car is worth back then and today. Is there anything I can try to do or prove to fight this or am I sol because I was a dumbass 3 years ago and signed the papers?

    submitted by /u/OneLittyKitty
    [link] [comments]

    Guy that crashed into me calls and threatens me after he finds out my car was totaled and I got an injury settlement

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 04:38 AM PST

    I was stopped at a stop sign, guy in questions cuts a turn really sharp and hits me head on going 15-25 MPH. Thought it was relatively minor at the time but frame connectors in front were badly damaged causing total loss and I had gone to a chiropractor for lower back and neck pain post accident. There are X-Rays showing the damage to my neck and lower back.

    Anyways fast forward to yesterday, the guy calls my cell phone with very hostile tone yelling that I better stop lying about injuries and tell them the truth "or else". Also that I get one chance to make it or right or "I know what's gonna happen". This guy has all my information and lives about 3 minutes away since it happened in the neighborhood.

    I'm quite nervous he's gonna try something and not exactly sure what I should do.

    Edit: in the US

    submitted by /u/Lgonz97
    [link] [comments]

    PA: are my prank calls illegal

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 10:29 PM PST

    My friends and I are dumb and like to make prank calls to pass the time. One of our favorites is tricking pizza chains into giving us customer information (name and phone # usually) and then calling the customers to mess with them.

    More precisely, I tell the employees at Dominos or wherever that I'm from the Domino's corporate office and gradually getting them to reveal the names and numbers of whoever has recently placed an order. We then call those customers saying various things. We're always careful not to trek into the domain of harassment or stalking (we don't call back if that's what they request, we never call more than twice). But we do say things that sometimes make them think we're scamming them (tell them that we charged them for the wrong order and it's a lot more expensive, say we have their credit card on file). Of course we're not using our own phone number (usually a Google Voice # or sometimes a spoofed #). However, people of course regularly threaten to call the cops, mostly because they're not so sure what else to do.

    I'm not so worried about legal implications from the customers I call, I'm certain that it's all legal even if they might suspect a scam. However, is it illegal to impersonate a corporate employee to get another employee to give customer info. I've always assumed no because I stole the idea from someone more careful. But I'm just making sure. I'm based in PA (two party consent state so I never record) but I call with a phone number from CT and call people all over the country.

    submitted by /u/throwmeaway3877
    [link] [comments]

    Car sold without my knowledge by family.

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 12:09 PM PST

    Im in California. I let my father keep my old car at home to use when needed since I moved and had a new car. He sold it to someone several months later and didnt tell me so I had no part in the transaction. Upon finding out I asked if the person was gonna transfer it to their name and what I needed to do to ensure that but he reassured me he had that all covered. Well now I got a ticket in the mail for that car and its still in my name. I dont have the title no do I know who the person is. My dad has her phone number and Ill try to contact her today. What can I do if she doesn't respond so Im not liable for the vehicle? And if I request a duplicate title how do I go about the transfer without her or the car present?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/assenkkol
    [link] [comments]

    New government job- no time off allowed. I’m sick so will be fired. Is this legal?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 04:21 AM PST

    I started a new government job in July (GS 11). We were told that we are not allowed to take ANY days off until after training, which won't be over until at least February, or we will be fired, point blank. We work from home / training is home.

    The thing is, I'm super sick and pretty sure I'm dying, no exaggeration. I desperately need to go to the hospital (I'm on my way now). I have the time saved in both sick and personal (prior government job and this one, so I earn 6 hrs not 4). I have about 6+ months time saved combined.

    Is it legal to fire employees during a pandemic for going to the doctor? Do I really have no recourse, literally risk death or lose my job? It just seems super unfair because I've worked hard for my career and it's basically over. Is there any statutes or laws against this on the federal level?

    submitted by /u/HotToddyLottie
    [link] [comments]

    I’m scared i’m being stalked.

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 09:36 PM PST

    i can't give much information because i'm scared somehow they'll find me. this is in canada. last summer i was fourteen, and a couple of my friends found this guy online who'd promise to give us drugs if we met up with him and "pleasured him" we never thought he'd actually make us do it, we didn't think it through. we met up and he brought alcohol but he left quickly and later texted us that he thought he was being set up. this all took place at night. we ended up blocking him and forgetting about it until he came back to that neighbourhood, and chased my friend who was also there around with his car. a few months later, he sent me a friend request on snapchat and now today on instagram. he's tried other times to add me back. i feel like i can't tell anybody or i will be in a lot of trouble, but i'm scared he can find me or knows where i am. he did tell me and my friend that he researched us and knew where are schools were. i'm not sure what to do. i'm only 15, please help i know it was very stupid now, but i had no idea at the time.

    edit- im really sorry i have no idea where else to post this.

    submitted by /u/keyaok
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment