• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 13, 2021

    Legal Advice - IA-gave notice to end lease but landlord hasn't acknowledged and is MIA, any legal concerns? What do I do with keys?

    Legal Advice - IA-gave notice to end lease but landlord hasn't acknowledged and is MIA, any legal concerns? What do I do with keys?


    IA-gave notice to end lease but landlord hasn't acknowledged and is MIA, any legal concerns? What do I do with keys?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 05:39 AM PST

    Background-I was in a lease renting a house from a woman who had moved to another state and wanted to use her house to make money. I almost never heard from her during the two years I lived in the house - when I started the lease she flew to town and met with me for 20 minutes, handed over keys that day and then flew back out of state. Every month I've deposited rent checks into a bank account she provided in the lease. I've only been in contact with her twice in two years - once when the furnace needed repaired, and once when she reached out because she found out someone sent a package to her at this address not knowing she moved, and she wanted me to send it to her new address and deduct the shipping from my rent. She confirmed she received it in May and I haven't heard since then.

    The lease was month to month and could be ended with 30 days notice. I sent it on November 20th via certified mail to end lease on December 31st. The address I used was the one listed for my landlord in our lease and she has never told me it has changed, but the mail was returned saying she was no longer at the address.

    I then reached out via email (she has not responded) and many times via call/text with no answer. I have continued to email her updates (e.g. I am moving out on this date, this is my new address, please reach out so I can give you keys, etc.)

    I have tried searching online (couldn't find a new address), checking social media (couldn't find any accounts), checking for obituaries (didn't find any), and talking to neighbors. Only one neighbor house knew her well, an elderly couple, and they told me they've heard rumors that she "went off the grid" because she's being sued for a lot of money and is basically hiding from the law suit. Obviously this is elderly people telling me a rumor so I take it with a grain of salt, but it sure makes sense given how I can't find her to contact her.

    I have asked around to see if anyone might give me an address, but haven't had any luck. The bank I've been putting rent into couldn't give me much info, but I told them the last address I had for her and they confirmed that is the address they have on record also. I also checked county property records and the owner address listed for property taxes is that same one as well. Interestingly in October the property taxes were paid through 2021.

    I've been seriously considering that maybe she's dead or genuinely missing, but found one piece of evidence to the contrary: I reached out to a woman who I know had been friends with her before she moved away, and she told me that she showed up at their traditional Christmas Eve party they have every year. They said she only stayed for 15 minutes, brought a bottle of wine and a Christmas card, gave a bunch of hugs and left saying that because of the pandemic she didn't think she'd be back in town until 2022. This woman reached out to me again last week to tell me she kind of heard from her: apparently apparently while at the party she'd knocked over a wine glass and broke it, and last week on Jan 8th she received a package containing a new set. There was no return address but there was a note saying sorry for the broken glass, start 2021 with a new set, love (her name). So with that in mind I'm assuming the rumors are true and she is intentionally not being found.

    Anyway, I moved out as planned on December 31st. I locked the doors behind me. At this time I have the only copies of the keys - when I moved in she left behind brand new locks for the doors, still in packages, because she was going to change the locks but never got around to it. I had my brother install them and offered to mail her a copy but she said she'd just get one next time she was in town, but never followed up.

    I also had my utility accounts for the property closed. I drove past the house a couple weeks after and there are notices on the door that utilities have been turned off and she needs to start service, and they are still there.

    What now? I'm a little ticked about my deposit, but it wasn't a ton of money. But I'm also not sure what to do with the keys - can I give them to the bank that has the mortgage or something?

    My other question is, do I have any liability if something bad happens in the house? My parents had a pipe freeze and burst in December so it is fresh in my mind and I'm worried about the fact that I had the utilities turned off. Could this be turned around to say I shouldn't have done so without getting acknowledgement about the lease ending or something stupid?

    submitted by /u/vacatedpipesfroze
    [link] [comments]

    My family is fraudulently being charged $7k because a state school thinks he attended classes there, which he didn't

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:13 PM PST

    Don't post often so apologies if anything is off.

    My brother intended to attend a state school in Ohio as a PA resident (probably shouldn't name the school), but decided to attend a school in PA instead. Based on the word of a limited English speaking professor who thinks that they saw him in a class once, the school decided to charge him what is now a total of $7,000. My mom has been trying to take care of this and explain that he never attended there on behalf of my brother, but it seems that they are unwilling to listen. I just spoke with her and they have sent a collections agency out to get the money. Aside from getting his transcript from his current institution, I'm not sure what else we can do. Any help is greatly appreciated!

    TLDR: School trying to fraudulently make us pay for attending a school that was never attended.

    Edit:yeah he's screwed he didn't withdraw properly so they are totally within there rights. Sorry everyone, but thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/blaneytron
    [link] [comments]

    [WI] Neighbors having fence installed, contractors using my property and damaging yard.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:32 PM PST

    My neighbors are having a fence installed with the side facing my house right up to the property line.

    It is the middle of winter in WI with several inches of snow on the ground. Being that the fence is right up the property line, they are working primarily in my yard to install the fence. This alone does not bother me as we knew they would be installing the fence, but it seems to be destroying a good two to three feet of my yard between the equipment being moved, foot traffic, wheelbarrows, etc. It looks like pure mud now, but I won't know the real damage until the snow melts.

    I have taken some pictures for now, but I'm not sure if I am making a bigger deal of this than I should be. Is there anything else I should do at this point? It looks bad now, but come spring it may be fine. The neighbors have recently moved in and seem nice, so I don't want to cause any unnecessary conflict.

    Edit: I should clarify, I never gave permission to either the homeowner or the contractor to use my property. The neighbors let us know they planned to put up a fence a couple months ago.

    Because our city allows fences to be installed up to the property line, I can understand the need for the contractor to be on my side of the lot line for part of the install. Had this been in the warmer months with dry ground I don't think this would be such a mess.

    submitted by /u/ridexc8
    [link] [comments]

    Dad's best friend lied about winning the lottery and encouraged/let my dad spend some of it in advance.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 03:45 PM PST

    I live in Southern Texas I'm just wondering what my Father can do about his situation. I know nothing about laws and such so any insight would be appreciated.

    My Dad trusts this friend with his life and has saved this guys life once. I've never asked, but they claim it's true. They are very close and I see no reason for the friend to lie.

    The friend who'll I'll call Dave recently claimed he won the lottery of around 190 million with it being 150 after taxes. Dave agrreed to give my dad two cars and an undisclosed sum of cash. My dad put two down payments on a truck and car both vehicles worth around 80k each. My dad is beginning to think Dave is bs because he has been trying get Dave to go with him to the dealership to pick up the car, but the guy is now full of excuses and isn't giving any money and trying to cut off connections. Dave has also asked for money periodically for the past few days since he claims the money hasn't been transferred to his accounts. My dad has willingly given him the cash.

    Sorry if it's nowhere near enough information, please ask me anything and I'll try to answer with needed information. Sorry if incorrect Grammar, haven't slept in a day or two.

    submitted by /u/ThrowAway150million
    [link] [comments]

    Car wrongly repo’d?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:56 PM PST

    Sorry if this sounds messy, So around January 2020 Santander bank sold my car loan account to some random bank. Didnt think anything of it except that i now had to pay the bank by mailing them a money order. But in march 2020 they sent a repo company to take my car, i was confused since i had paid it every month. I called the police and showed them proof of payment and they sent the repo guys away. I called the bank and asked their customer service why they tried to take my truck if i had given all the payments, they told me they would take care of the problem and hung up. Assumed it was fixed. June 2020, they sent another truck and same thing happened, called police and then they sent them away. Called the bank immediately after that and they told me they would give have someone from a different department give me a call the next day to fix everything. Call never came. Called again later on and they provided me with an email to send all my payment confirmations to. I sent it to them and never heard anything back. So i assumed they had finally fixed their mistake. On december 3rd, my car was taking at 11 pm by the repo company. I was sleeping while they took it so i couldnt do much about it. I woke up the next day thinking it was stolen and a 911 operator confirmed it was repo'd. After providing me with the wrong company information i had to spend all day tracking down my car and finally found the company that took it. I went down to figure out why they had taken it and they showed me exactly what company ordered them to take it, which was my bank. The repo company was much more professional and helpful than the bank ever was. But by the time i had found my car the bank was closed so i couldnt contact them. The next day i tried calling, but the number i had previously called didnt work anymore so i wasnt sure what to do at that point. Two days later a letter came from the bank stating they were giving me 21 days to send them back an explanation as to why i broke 'our agreement' or they would sell my car. This letter had an account # line which was left blank, and other information about my account which was also left blank. The letter also repeated a couple of times "call us at." And never provided a phone number. Only an address to write back. I sent a letter written out to them explaining everything and that i will show proof of payment once they give me the right contact info. Haven't received anything yet.

    Another thing i want to add, nothing about that bank ever came up in my credit score, i even called to see if there was a report made to any of the credit agencies and the bank never came up in my reports.

    -So now im wondering if i have to get a lawyer to fight back for my car and if i could fight for compensation aswell.

    yes i know that they took it a month ago ive been unsure of what to do since this has never happened to me.

    Thanks.

    I live in illinois, bank is located in texas.

    submitted by /u/pm4282
    [link] [comments]

    [SC] Ex came to drop kids off per custody agreement and then refused.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 07:40 AM PST

    Ex came at the agreed upon time this morning (it is my custody day) to drop the children off to me (2yo and 3yo). When she was on her way she called to tell me the 2yo was sick and needed to go to the doctors. It was 28 degrees out so I had my truck warming up. When she got her she asked why my truck was running and I refused to tell her (she still feels the need/thinks she's in control of every aspect of my wife). Because I refused to tell her she used profanity and derogatory statements in front of the children and told me I was not getting them right now and took off.

    She took them to the doctors, and made them do a COVID 19 test on them (non rapid). She sent me a text stating that she will not be bringing them to me because the results are not back and she sent a copy of the Drs School Absence note that is not signed.

    I am waiting for consults with lawyers, already filed a police report this morning about the language and statements she made in front of the kids (goes against restraining order). Can I make the Sheriffs office make her give me my kids?

    submitted by /u/VA-DMV
    [link] [comments]

    Can I [18] get my GED while still in high school, then “drop out”?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 05:38 PM PST

    AL if it makes a difference. A bit of background: I'm currently in my last semester of high school and very unlikely to graduate, I do all my classes online while working full time, and i have since before covid, the school(?) I use is not related to the public school district that I used to attend.

    I always had the feeling that I wasn't gonna graduate, every year my grades got worse and worse and I took more classes every year in summer school and somehow managed to pass the grade, this is my last semester and i have 11 academic classes I have to pass in order to graduate. To be completely honest, I know I will not pass them. I've been considering taking the GED test as I usually get good test scores, and I found out that in Alabama the minimum age to take the GED is 16, so if I manage to pass, will I be able to just withdraw from the school?

    submitted by /u/bayareaflanks
    [link] [comments]

    WA - Old Employers "Forgot" To Send In My Certification That I Trained For On The Job, But Didn't Tell Me Until After I Had Quit. I Was A Practicing Phlebotomist For Over A Year Without A License And Now They Refuse To Certify Me Because I Don't Work There.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:25 PM PST

    I'll be deleting this later.

    I quit my terrible job at a plasma center to work at a hospital nearby. After I put in my two weeks, my manager came to me and told me my certification sat on a desk (for over a year!!) and never got sent in to the state for verification, and that they'd "get on it". My last day was September 2nd and I still have not received my certification that I completed training for. Every time I call I'm assured they will "get on it" but I can't get a job as a phlebotomist without my certification and as if it needs to be said, I need income, I need a job. I've told them this but it's been FOUR MONTHS. I really can't keep waiting for them to get their act together. I assume they just don't care because I don't work there anymore and it's not their problem, in their eyes. That's just how their piss-poor company tends to work and that attitude is why I quit.

    I obviously can't hire a lawyer but is there anything I can say, do, to light a fire under them? Do I have legal recourse or does this fall under "at-will employment" like every other case of employee abuse?

    submitted by /u/ghoullio-jr
    [link] [comments]

    Seller didn’t disclose turnpike contract before house sale

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 10:13 PM PST

    Main question is — is it worth getting a lawyer to help handle this?

    Parents bought a house in PA ~2y ago, recently spent a hefty chunk renovating the backyard. Then got a letter from the turnpike commission saying that the commission signed a compensation contract with prior owner for future construction of the turnpike bc it will intrude on the last quarter of the yard and they plan on cutting all our trees down. That's the exact area they just dropped several grand on updating.

    The turnpike commission apparently paid the prior owners something along the lines of $19-20k in order for them to renovate after the construction to improve the area/ minimize the hit to the property value.

    Seller didn't disclose any of this during the sale (not even the future turnpike plans that they'd already been paid for) and now the turnpike commission is telling my folks that they need to get the money from the seller as they won't pay again.

    My parents aren't the most savvy and I'm across the country (and tbh also not the most savvy about real estate things). Is this something that should be easy to sort out, or is it worth it to get a lawyer to handle it?

    We don't even have the sellers new info so are contacting the realtors first. The realtors were very pushy and honestly kind of took advantage of my parents in this whole process (guilt tripped them a lot about the buyers being older and made them feel bad for trying to negotiate the selling price, etc) so I'm worried.

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/aszua
    [link] [comments]

    Gate issue in HOA neighborhood. HOA knows the gate is broken but posts signs saying they aren't responsible. Any recourse for homeowners?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:58 PM PST

    Throwaway because I am posting personal info.

    I live in an HOA with several "sections" of the neighborhood. I live in the gated section, which is the largest section of the HOA.

    We have two sets of gates on either end of the main neighborhood road. Both gates are often broken or malfunctioning. This causes damage to resident cars on a weekly basis.

    The HOA has a sign posted that they are not responsible for gate damage along with a warning not to piggyback by following another car. When cars are damaged, they refuse to acknowledge the history of a broken gate and just point back to the sign/guidance to click the remote or enter a code every time you drive through.

    Except that's what people do. Very few piggyback, because the gate is such a renowned issue. Nearly everyone stops to manually enter their code before entering, or they click the remote several times and hold it down as they drive through. The gate still shuts on cars every few days, usually at least once a week.

    The gate is one that swings open. When it closes, it first slams shut to the halfway point before slowly closing the remainder of the way. Because the first half is an untethered slam, the damage to cars is significant.

    Homeowners have given video evidence that the gate is malfunctioning, showing that codes are entered before cars drive through. The HOA continues to claim they are not liable.

    My question is this: how far can a blanket "we are not responsible" policy cover the HOA, when they have been given ample evidence that the gate needs repairs? Can homeowners go after the HOA for repair fees, since the HOA knows full well damage is likely but is ignoring the issue?

    Our governing docs can be found at hillsofwestwoodhoa.com.

    submitted by /u/MyHOASucks2021
    [link] [comments]

    Legal Recourse for Illegal Removal of Property in Maryland

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 04:25 PM PST

    I alerted my leasing office that I would not be renewing my lease as I was moving to a different location. I notified them well within the amount of time. A new short-term lease was signed through January 17th. I have slowly been moving items out of my old place, and I had some remaining property that I was going to clear out this week. Well, I received an email from the office notifying me that I was being charged because they went into the apartment for some inexplicable reason—without notice. I'm assuming they falsely assumed it was vacant. I still have the keys to the apartment and the mailbox. It was spelled out within the paperwork that I must be out by January 17th, so what grounds did they have to throw out my personal property before the lease was up? They threw out a very expensive fish tank and the fish that were in there which were not exactly cheap.

    I'm not understanding how I'm being charged an additional fee when I'm legally still able to occupy the unit. It's not making sense that my credit would be dinged for not paying said fee when they were in the wrong and should be replacing what they threw away. I was just at the unit a few days ago (over the weekend) to clean and remove more of my items, so obviously I was still going in and out. Even under the textbook definition of abandonment, visiting weekly or multiple times a week doesn't fall under that scope.

    I'm not sure what I should do or if this constitutes a need to file a consumer grievance/complaint with the Attorney General's office. Should I file a police report or try to reach out to the leasing office? I saw a blurb about tenant/landlord grievances. I've never quite been in a situation like this one. I don't feel that it's right for me to have pay for their error and presumptuous mistake. It's no issue to prove that I had the legal right to stay there until the 17th. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DuchessOfPetty
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord Not Paying Mortgage. What Could Happen?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:02 PM PST

    Posting from mobile so I apologize for any format issues.

    Basically the title. We rent a house through a property management company in Indiana and they have been hounding us lately about important mail being delivered to the house for the owner and to call them immediately if any mail arrives.

    We are fairly certain they haven't been paying the mortgage on the house since the pandemic relief began and I'm thinking they are waiting for extension information. Whatever their motivation is for the relief, I don't care so much about that. I just want to know what could happen to us if a foreclosure happens.

    They have ignored multiple maintenance requests for structural issues, (the back deck is full of broken boards and in unusable condition), There is damage to the property from previous tenants pets, And just all around neglect for the upkeep of the property. We took hundreds of pictures upon moving in, since we were only allowed a virtual tour before moving in. I'm really just done with the place in general.

    Any advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/nerddana
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop Lost during Warranty Service

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:30 PM PST

    Illinois, United States

    Hi,

    My lenovo laptop stopped functioning and I sent the laptop in to claim my warranty in October. After 3 months and many calls with customer service, my laptop is either no where to be found or no one at the company gives a shit to check. Anyways, I've pretty much accepted that its lost forever, but is there anything that I can do like small claims court to try and get my laptops value back. I don't need the money, I just want to fight for the principle of it

    submitted by /u/Parking-Month-3961
    [link] [comments]

    AZ employer stated if we call off sick "don't bother coming back"

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 05:42 PM PST

    We have had mandatory overtime the past weekend, and foreseeable weekends to come. Our lunch times have been cut in half, our workdays extended. We were just informed if we call off or use paid sick leave during mandatory overtime "don't bother coming back"

    Can I be fired for calling off sick? I understand we are an at will employment state, but what if it is actually an illness, is that covered in the 2017 act? Is there required proof or is "a headache so bad I can't see to drive" enough? Do I need to even tell them the reason?

    submitted by /u/Katetof419
    [link] [comments]

    My Boss Isn't Evil...At Least If I Ignore All The Illegal Things They Do

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:56 PM PST

    I'll keep this short and sweet. I work in an outdoor restaurant in Texas. My boss works me and a few other people 72hrs+ a week (at least 12hrs a day) without overtime pay, has us filed under independent contractors, and doesn't give anybody breaks. I don't know what to do because some people that work here are illegal immigrants that are just trying to work for their families so they can eat. What can I do? What do I do?

    submitted by /u/throwawaybadbosss
    [link] [comments]

    Dog neglect / abuse case

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 03:20 PM PST

    Hi,

    A roommate moved in almost a year ago with 2 dogs. I have fallen in love with the dogs and one of them has a tumor and other medical issues that have not gotten addressed. I approached the issue with the owner probably a dozen times over the past few months and no results were found. The most recent time I attempted to address this, he told me he had previously made an attempt to cut off the tumor himself with a pocket knife, causing it to grow in size. After talking to friends I'm led to believe this is animal abuse, but it's ultimately my word vs. his.

    I took him to the vet today and a sample was taken from this tumor, it is determined to be cancerous and is recommended for immediate removal. I gave consent for both the sample collection and the surgery schedule.

    In my mind, him getting the surgery is non-negotiable. It cost about $1k but the cost is not the issue to me, the neglect is. I was also told that he needs to go in every 3 months for a tooth cleaning (he has dental disease) and nail trimming - which has been long overdue (his side claw had curled up into itself and he bit it causing blood and infection).

    I'm going to tell the owner that he needs to either begin properly caring for his animals or to find someone who will. I'm not a confrontational person but I believe this to be the correct thing to do. Do I have any legal case on the basis of animal abuse?

    To be clear: I'm not intending to reposes the dog. But if the owner does not take appropriate action, which has been demonstrated time and time again, I want to know if there are any legal options? I don't want to report this as I don't want him to be taken away.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/corenfro
    [link] [comments]

    Grandma’s house sold in fire sale while trying to probate will since 2018.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 12:10 PM PST

    My grandmother died May 2018 the will she left was only a photocopy now closing in on almost 3 years later the will has still not been probated. To give you a little bit of background my grandmother died because of complications after a car accident that she had April 2018. My grandmother left her will naming me The executor. I live in the Caribbean my grandmother lived in New Jersey when she died my mother and grown son and I went to take care of funeral arrangements and to secure her home. My grandmother had told me on various occasions that the original of the will was in a metal box in her house and when we got to the house there were dozens of metal boxes all filled with papers that we went through but we did not find the will. I had a copy of the will she had sent us and for months I tried to contact the lawyer that wrote it up for her. When I finally got a hold of the lawyer. She said she does not have the original. I moved on to a probate lawyer. The probate lawyer asked me to sign a contract and provide her with a copy of the will and some other documents. The courts did not probate the will and the first try by the lawyer she asked us to have affidavits drawn up stating that we looked for the will and could not find it and that my great aunt picked up the chandelier willed to her which she did right after the funeral. The lawyer handed in these affidavits and the court is still looking for more from us. The probate court in New Jersey is asking that my aunts affidavit stating that she received the chandelier my grandmother gave her in her will was given to her. I've only met my aunt two times one of those being after the funeral I have no way to get a hold of her anybody I knew from New Jersey has moved or died. During this time my grandmother's house was sold in a fire sale and there was money left in equity in her home that was supposed to go to my brother sister and I. The probate lawyer is now asking for $1000 to continue working on the case and I'd like to know how much money is left in equity to see if it's worth having her continue to work on this case it's been so expensive I'm dying for this nightmare to be over. Can someone please talk to me about this reverse mortgage and finding out how much equity is left in the house? I'm also asking for advice on getting this Will probated I've racked up thousands of dollars in debt with his lawyer and have gotten no results.

    submitted by /u/Jcooney787
    [link] [comments]

    [Canada] Is it legal to own a whale vertebra (single back bone) in Canada?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 06:13 PM PST

    I am not sure if this is illegal because of the endangered species thing. Googling hasn't been super helpful. I can buy one from a private seller. I was hoping to use in/display it in a semi public business space so want to be sure. People will see it and I could get reported and fined. If it was my home I would be less concerned.

    submitted by /u/SMIMA
    [link] [comments]

    Rear ending someone who doesn’t have tail lights (TN)

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:13 PM PST

    Asking on behalf of a family member.

    They got in a pretty nasty wreck tonight. They rear ended a vehicle towing a trailer that didn't have brake lights (or tail lights in general) whether they weren't functioning or were nonexistent, I don't know.

    However- the car was totaled, all airbags deployed, and got a nice ride to the ER.

    I'm aware that you have to maintain a safe distance between vehicles, and stay in control of your own vehicle.

    From what I've been told the driver with the trailer was making a turn, and with no lights it was hard- if not impossible to see the trailer. They were on a stretch of road that has no street lights, and it's pretty much pitch black at night.

    Would the trailer driver have any responsibility outside of a citation due to improper lights?

    submitted by /u/Kahluacupcake
    [link] [comments]

    [NSFW] Buying sex toy for a minor

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:37 PM PST

    Hello! I(18F) live in Indiana. My friend(17M) and his girlfriend(16F) want to buy a sex toy, but don't have a way to get one themselves discreetly. (EDIT: As in, they cannot buy one at a store or get one mailed) Is it illegal for me to buy one for them? The age of consent here is 16.

    submitted by /u/littlesis103
    [link] [comments]

    (TX) My Identity has been stolen and used in Indiana and New Mexico for work.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:55 PM PST

    I just got off the phone with the Texas Unemployment office and they told me I have wages in Indiana and New Mexico in 2019/2020. I have never been to either of these states nor do I know anyone in them. I'm afraid my indentity is being stolen and I don't know what to do or anything.

    All I know is that this person worked for a gutter company in Indiana using my social security and aparantly has made thousands.

    PLEASE help, I am freaking out. :/

    submitted by /u/ArmoredTrust
    [link] [comments]

    Brother lived in parents home...

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 03:12 PM PST

    Both my parents have passed, ( Dad in '88, Mom in 2011) My Fathers will was very clear, passed to my Mom, then to the 4 children. My Mom was diagnosed with dementia, and signed some kind of paperwork changing the wishes of my Father, who is the only one who worked, and paid for that home. The younger of my 2 brothers ( I am the youngest) recently died. He lived in the house, told everyone it was his, and let a non family member live in the back apartment, free. I never needed to live there, but now that he died, the issue of who it belongs is coming to the light. I find out the house is still legally in my Mom's name. So, therefore it should belong to the 3 remaining siblings, meaning I have a say about what happens, right? I really need to know. I am in California.

    submitted by /u/tderosa665
    [link] [comments]

    [PA] I told Urgent Care I would only make a visit if it was completely free. They promised me I wouldn’t have to pay a dime after they ran my insurance, so I went in. Weeks later, my insurance billed me.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 07:10 AM PST

    Hey all, apologies if formatting is weird, I'm on mobile.

    So about two months ago I visited Urgent Care. I asked the lady working at the desk if I would get charged for a simple inspection, and I wouldn't go in if it meant I would be charged either by Urgent Care or by my insurance company. She ran my insurance card and told me that this type of inspection is completely covered by the insurance company and I wouldn't have to pay anything. So I went in believing it was free, as that is what she told me.

    About a month later, I get a bill from my insurance company charging me for that visit, saying they can't cover all of it because of the type of visit that it was. I've tried calling Urgent Care's billing company with no call back, and have tried emailing them as well but they claim that the bill is not their responsibility and that I am responsible for paying the remaining fee.

    I insisted that I would not receive a service unless it was completely free (covered by my insurance), and Urgent Care promised me that it would be. This means that I received a service thinking it wouldn't cost me anything, and Urgent Care should be responsible because they convinced me that this would be the case.

    Where can I go from here?

    submitted by /u/11M00N11
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment