• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 14, 2021

    Legal Advice - Help! My Landlord (Apartment) entered our Apartment without notice while my girlfriend and I were intimate.

    Legal Advice - Help! My Landlord (Apartment) entered our Apartment without notice while my girlfriend and I were intimate.


    Help! My Landlord (Apartment) entered our Apartment without notice while my girlfriend and I were intimate.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:51 AM PST

    They claim they did nothing wrong.

    This happened Yesterday around 3:40. My girlfriend and I were home and in the living room and intimate. We heard two knocks but, ignored them since we didn't care about answering. We assumed it was a package. Shortly after the second knock we heard the door unlocking. We were both confused and didn't know how to react.

    The door opens and my landlord and a maintenance worker enter our Apartment. They spot us and she immediately (neither wore face masks btw) covers her eyes and walks out. I hurry and get dressed and my girlfriend is freaking out. But, they had already left. By the time we recollected ourselves the office was already closed.

    First thing in the morning I confront them at the office and demand an explanation. I'm just told they have a right to enter our Apartment whenever they please. She had good reason to believe I was violating my lease due to a complaint by a neighbor. They don't apologize and just say they'll schedule another inspection in the near future.

    I'm pissed. What rights do I have to ensure this never happens again and they are punished for this?

    submitted by /u/ThrowawayLAPervyLL
    [link] [comments]

    Is this legal? My Apartment Complex made it so you have to have an app to get in or out of the Complex.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:20 PM PST

    They also made it so you can not get out via the walk-gate. Gate codes do not work anymore.

    My issue is: I do not drive; the app does not work on my Phone. I've raised concerns to Front Office and they just tell me "That's not not our problem. We don't care". Which imo is very poor advice.

    So now the only way to get to and from our complex is by downloading an app that doesn't really work. You can not open the sole gate on the sidewalk. They removed the gate keypad.

    Is there anything I can do? This is very frustrating because there is only one way out of the complex and now I can't get in or out unless someone lets me out.

    submitted by /u/CapstoneWarrior
    [link] [comments]

    I missed my phone appointment with my Probation Officer, what should I do.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 10:25 AM PST

    So I live in Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA. I have been on probation for over 4 years and come May will be my last appointment. Since Covid hit, I've been on phone check-ins for about a year now. I missed my call appointment yesterday by accident. I called my P.O. quite a few times today with no answer or call back. I left a voice message like I was told to by the answering machine. I'm worried that i really messed up. Any advice on what I should do?

    To add some information here: I've never missed any appointment before nor have I ever had any problem with any of my probation officers. I always did what I was supposed to do and even paid all my fines and fees in full before the first year of my probation was over. I've kept a job throughout the time and even had my boss report to my P.O. anytime I was not at work or I needed to go into the probation office.

    I'm catastrophizing here and am literally freaking out.

    submitted by /u/ThrowAway072695
    [link] [comments]

    Just got a letter in the mail congratulating me for buying my home and telling me the previous owners signed a preservation covenant.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:56 PM PST

    [Indiana, USA] I wasn't made aware of it when buying the house. I haven't seen the actual document (I've asked for it), and I'm not super concerned as I was only planning on adding a back to to my house. What do these documents typically entail? Should I have been made aware of this by the sellers?

    submitted by /u/rockbuck
    [link] [comments]

    Car was towed and we only want one item out of the car, however the towing company has said they have taken everything out of the car as it now belongs to them. Is this allowed?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:39 AM PST

    In October 2020 my girlfriends fathers car was towed. He had recently passed away and told nobody about his car. He has a home made gift for my girlfriend in the car and we would like to go pick it up so she can have something to remember him by, however the towing company has said after a certain amount of time everything inside the car now belongs to them and they have taken it all out and will be auctioning the car in 20 days. Are they allowed to claim possession of the items left inside? Do they keep the items or throw them away? It would mean the world to get this from the car and we can pay. This is in nevada

    submitted by /u/farfromagerb
    [link] [comments]

    Job gave me notice of layoff, then rescinded layoff day before it begins

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:21 PM PST

    So last week I got a call from my boss indicating we are going to be laid off from our jobs last day will be the 15th. Got an email on Monday confirming all of this with HR saying they would send over more documents later in the week and also a link on how to apply to unemployment.

    I had accepted this decision and made plans. My weekend is normally Thursday and Friday so yesterday was my last day. Earlier today, I set off on a road trip to see a friend for a couple months. My office/workplace was planned to be shut down for a couple months and we'd be called back to work around march or april when winter is over.

    So I'm already 1000 miles away and I get a call from my boss saying that we're actually not being laid off and we're going to stay open one more week, potentially longer and not shutdown at all. I was prepared to file for unemployment tomorrow but now I'm not sure what to do.

    This just doesn't feel right to me given that they gave me advance notice of a layoff, with severance package, and the day before the layoff is official they rescind the offer and say we are to remain open. It just feels wrong to me, but I'm not sure if I have any legal recourse.

    Can I go ahead and apply for unemployment anyway, since I have documentation of my job announcing layoff?

    update: place of emplyoment was kansas if that makes any difference

    submitted by /u/MyBossSucks1999
    [link] [comments]

    I'm being asked to move out of my apartment due to mold in the drywall from a leak in my apartment, but my landlord won't tell me how long this will last or clarify if they will help pay for my accommodation.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:42 AM PST

    For the last week, I've had people in and out of my apartment due to a leak in the garage below me. It turns out there was a leak from the third floor, so there is now mold in the drywall in my unit by no fault of my own. My landlord went in under my kitchen sink yesterday, disconnected everything, and took out some of the drywall. They had assured me they just needed to blow some air in there, but yesterday evening they told me I needed to move out while they did kitchen repairs. They told me they would just be barricading off my kitchen, and that I would have access to the rest of my apartment if I want to drop by and get anything at any time. They then told me to use my loss of use through my renter's insurance (which I do have to a maximum of 6000$ although there is a copay.) I said that this sounded like them trying to get out of helping me, to which they said they just needed to "work things out".

    I'm concerned because they won't tell me how long I might need to move out, they didn't offer any help finding somewhere else to live, and they didn't explain how I'm supposed to pay for food in the meantime. I'm also concerned because they told me to just leave everything be in the kitchen, but I know they're supposed to take down my cabinets and I'm worried they might damage my belongings. Their contractor told me (without them present) that they are supposed to put me up somewhere and pay for my food until the work is done.

    I need to move out by the end of today due to concerns for my safety, (they told me they sealed off the mold, but I can definitely smell it), but I don't want to end up on the hook for the bill for this. Even if I could remain in place during the construction that's not an option either since I work night shift at the hospital.

    Are they required to help pay for this? Do they need to tell me how long this will last? Would it be reasonable to ask for another unit to move into for good? I know they have vacancies.

    I live in LA city in a rent stabilized building if that makes any difference. I'm dealing with a huge corporate management company.

    submitted by /u/Kankarn
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment website glitched and triple charged me for rent, is now demanding I pay fees due to this

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:44 AM PST

    This is a very annoying story, but I honestly wanted to know what my options are here from a legal stance.

    Basically what happened is on January 1st I tried to pay my rent on my apartments website. I clicked the pay button, and it popped up an error message saying that the website was currently having trouble accepting payments, and to try again later.

    After receiving this message, I decided I'd just wait to pay my rent till the next day, because I couldn't contact my apartment office since it was closed for New Years, and they don't charge late fees until 4 days after the 1st.

    So I logged out of my account after this, which said that I still owed my rent ($1336). The next morning I'm checking my bank account and I see that not only was my payment accepted, but it was charged 3 times!

    I called the apartment and they said they had no way to reverse it until the payment cleared. They also told me I would NOT be charged any fees for this, as it was a glitch of their website. Also, luckily my bank was able to dispute the charges, so I got my money back within a few days. However, now I'm dealing with some unexpected backlash from my apartment.

    My apartment, after saying they wouldn't, is now trying to charge me fees for giving my money back. Which is ridiculous, as it was admittedly a glitch of their website; a website that said it didn't even accept my payment in the first place!

    I tried to contact the apartment about these fees but they said that they wouldn't remove them, and that I have to pay them.

    As a current law student, I'm generally curious what I can do here. I don't see how I should be responsible for any fees when it was a glitch in their system that caused this issue. Any help is appreciated, and sorry for the long post!

    Edit: just wanted to add that I am located in florida

    submitted by /u/bigfootfindsyou
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck in New York with a handgun.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:40 PM PST

    I don't have a lawyer, don't know one so I'm turning to the internet... sigh

    I was on a flight to Vermont, with a transfer in JFK in New York where I'm currently sitting. I have in my checked luggage a semi-automatic handgun, declared and properly packaged. The flight from JFK to Vermont for today was cancelled. I was given the option to take a voucher and stay in a hotel until tomorrow and take that flight, or to book another flight from another airline on my own (or find other means to continue to Vermont). Those options would necessitate me requesting my checked luggage. I need to get to Vermont before tomorrow morning so waiting until tomorrow is a non-starter.

    I know that possessing a handgun in New York is a felony so I have no idea what to do. I don't even want to mention it for fear of getting arrested. Do I have any legal options to get my luggage and check into another airline with that luggage? Or even getting a rental car?

    I think I'm just screwed. :(

    submitted by /u/snotreallyme
    [link] [comments]

    Motorcycle was stolen and repaired at a shop. The shop has the motorcycle and says I need to pay repairs to retrieve. Is this legal?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:59 PM PST

    Like the post says, my motorcycle was stolen a number of years ago. A person dropped the motorcycle off for repairs at a shop totaling $2,200 and never picked it up. When the wrecker shop went to go try and sell it after abandoning, they found out it was stolen, and I received a call. The shop is now saying that in order to retrieve the motorcycle, I need to pay the $2,200 bill. The motorcycle is in Mississippi and was stolen from Louisiana. I'm curious as to if this is legal and what actions I could take. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/ToooManyHobbies
    [link] [comments]

    We were just given the 30 days notice on our home, and my family has nowhere to go. Can we appeal somehow?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:12 PM PST

    Sigh... where to begin? My family home was bought out from under us several years ago and now it is rented to us by a private owner. My father is a single father and he along with my younger siblings are the tenants.

    With COVID affecting everyone in the household's ability to work, my father was quick to fall behind on the bills and just this morning he was duped by the landlord (he was told they wanted to come by and look at the heating unit, which was immediately suspicious since he never has any repairs done on the property) but actually he brought the sheriff to serve us the property reclamation 30 day notice.

    My family has nowhere else to go, and during COVID it is extra difficult to find a new housing situation. Is there anything we can do from a legal standpoint to appeal, or delay the eviction? We live in Pennsylvania for reference.

    submitted by /u/throwaway716672
    [link] [comments]

    (CA) Abusive boyfriend who’s not on the lease or paying rent refuses to leave the apartment.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:58 AM PST

    My sister is renting an apartment in Los Angeles, CA and she's the only one on the lease. She's in an abusive relationship with a potentially dangerous, violent man who's just using her for the apartment. She's tried to kick him out in the past and he weaseled his way back in by emotionally manipulating her. Now he's not even trying to pretend, he is straight up using her and is completely apathetic in his behavior until she asks him to leave, then he starts throwing/breaking things (not at her, yet) and physically intimidating her. She's afraid he will attack her next but she also doesn't want to abandon residency by leaving her own apartment. He gets mail delivered to her address but that's it. He has a criminal record, drug dealing and gang involvement. What is the best course of action for her at this point with the eviction moratoriums in place? I'm on the other end of the country and don't know how to help her.

    edit: He's told her before that he has illegal weapons (guns) but they're not hidden in her apartment. She's looking into pursuing a restraining order against him as she fears he would retaliate.

    submitted by /u/yungnietzsche
    [link] [comments]

    My employer is deducting pay by adding unpaid breaks to our shifts without telling us

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 01:33 PM PST

    Like the title says, I found out yesterday that my employer has been docking almost everyone's pay by going into Square and adding unpaid 30 minute breaks after each shift has already been worked, without telling us. This information does not show up on the paystubs we get with our checks, I only found out because I'm the manager and I have access to everyone's timecard information. I've calculated how much I am owed as a result of this and it comes out to roughly $800-1000 over a year and a half of working for them, an amount that I know they would not be able to give me immediately if I approach them with this information. I have already spoken with someone from the Hours and Wages Division of the DOL to confirm that this is illegal activity, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has dealt with this first hand. Did you talk to you employer before filing a complaint with the DOL? How long did it take before your unpaid wages were reimbursed? If you filed a claim anonymously did your employer find out who did it? I am no stranger to working under assholes like this and I have no problem with filing a complaint, but I'm curious about what kind of fallout to expect, if any.

    Edit: forgot to include my location, this is in North Carolina.

    submitted by /u/batman1227
    [link] [comments]

    Getting charged a “vacancy” fee for my apartment (MA)

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 01:10 PM PST

    I moved into my apartment 12/20. I just got my first utility bill from them today. The issue is they are changing me a "vacancy" fee because the room was open for 19 days before I moved in. Also they are charging me electricity for an apartment I wasn't even living in yet.

    It doesn't seem fair I'm charged a fee because they couldn't find someone to take over the apartment before me. And why am I paying electric for someone else turning on the lights before I even chose to live here.

    Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/BoringBusinessClass
    [link] [comments]

    I delivered to an obvious domestic violence household. What action should I take?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:32 AM PST

    This is in Australia btw

    I'm an 18 year old pizza delivery boy. The other day I got a delivery to this house and when I arrived, the screen door was shut but I could still see inside. I knocked on the door which obviously startled a 14-16 year old girl sitting on a couch, visible from the door. She ran off, calling for her mother, cos pizza, and when the mother came to the door she seemed very pissed off. She was grabbing the pizzas from my hands very aggressively and wouldn't say anything to me. Then she started yelling at her child to come hold some pizza and whatever, and when she came to collect it, I noticed her entire face was covered in bruises and cuts. I only got a look for a second before she slammed the door, so I didn't get a chance to say anything, but I kept the receipt and have her address.

    I'm very concerned for this child and am going to report it to someone but I don't know how to go about doing it. I told my mates after work and we agreed that some of us should go over and see what the situation is properly, maybe speak to the mother or whatever, but I only want to do that if it comes to it because I know that could have detrimental effects on the child. What should I do from a legal perspective?

    submitted by /u/Captm_obvious
    [link] [comments]

    How to kick out tenants without making it look like retaliation?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:57 PM PST

    I want to kick my tenants off my rental property during CV 19 for harassing me and making me do repairs. Now the first sentence alone screams I'm asking for a retaliation lawsuit I know, here's the context.

    Out of courtesy of my friendship with one of the tenants and situation with their family, I've allowed them to live on my rental property in Southern California for about 1.8k monthly in a neighborhood that houses would normally go 2.5k monthly rent minimum give or take a couple hundreds in the state I live in. Previously they lived in a cramped apartment with 3 kids for that much... and were it not out of the kindness of my own heart... they've have never qualified to rent my place otherwise.

    Now if there is a problem with the house, I've always fixed as soon as possible as my previous tenant is willing to testify.... but recently my tenants have developed a habit of not telling me about problems with the property and trying to fix it them selves or through someone they know.... resulting in them only telling me most of the time when the problem is blowing up in their face and thus burning my wallet.

    Examples include: Not proper maintenance of the dishwasher, flushing stuff down the toilet they're not supposed to and causing a clog in the sewer line, keeping more than 1 pet in he house when they're only allowed to have one, not keeping up renters insurance payments as required in the lease... now I've tolerated it out of friendship and the bills for those pairs weren't too bad but recently they went too far. There are clauses in our lease agreement about how the above is a no no as well as other incidents but I won't waste time going into detail. I got people willing to testify and copies of texts to prove their violations.

    Now they're suddenly claiming and have reported to my local city that parts of the property are infested with black mold, that there is asbestos in the house, that i've left live electrical wires exposed and risk causing harm to them or their family, and in improper repair to the back gate of the house allowed one of their dogs to get out only to be run over by a car belonging to one of the guys I hired to fix up the house..... conveniently I haven't seen any proof that the dog is dead beyond their word...... and that I knew about all of the above problems for quite a while and chose not to do anything. My local City Code Enforcement has sent me a fix it ticket about the above after my tenants filed a report on the issue.

    Thing is their claims are BS for the following reasons.

    1. I'm only over there for rent check pick ups and to deal with their previous claimed problems with the house which I've always taken care of as soon as they report it (as required in our lease agreement) only they don't report it until it's a firestorm of problems.
    2. I didn't know about the mold and absestos problem until a few weeks ago when I by chance noticed water damage along one o the hallways while coming by to pick up rent and the tenants were like "Oh yeah... been meaning to tell you about that leak". I hired guys to dig into the walls for the leak who then found mold, the mold guys then found the absestos, and then I hired within days to fix the water leak, the mold, and the absestos who then worked over the next couple weeks to fix the problem.
    3. I did not purposefully leave the electrical wiring that had to be partially pulled out as a part of the repairs for the other stuff out... rather my tenant refused to let the guy I hired to fix it back in the house when he had to leave to get a few more parts demanding that I hire only licensed contractors when local law basically says I can hire whoever I want to fix problems with my rental property even a metaphorical homeless bum off the street licensed or no off the street so long as I tell my tenants about it in advanced and my tenants can't do jack about it along with the fact that urgent repairs make it so I can go in without advanced notice if need be... especially since they're not living in the house atm while these repairs are going on. There are a few other examples of them delaying repairs as well which I won't waste time going into. I believe they're trying to force a local law that makes me have to pay them 3x their rent if I don't get the property back to a habitable state within a certain time frame.
    4. As for the dog.. I only bought the parts to fix the back fence. It was one of the tenants (a guy who works in construction) that installed them and texted me that there wasn't a problem with it. I nor any of the guys I hired did the work on the back gate and this incident happened and night when there I or none of my guys were at the house.... also did I mention I have yet to see any actual proof the dog is dead beyond their word?
    5. They've been delaying repairs by threatening to sue if I don't do them how they want when again local law says all I have to do is inform them I'm having guys come at time X to do Y and again they don't get a say in it especially since they're not living at the house thus I'm not causing them any inconvenience by doing so at whatever hours I choose. Also with said threats to sue... they haven't been making them in a polite tone that says "Look Choice_Ad7544, I value my friendship with you but I have to think about my family. If I have to file a law suit to get you to fix the property in a timely manner I will".... they've been doing it more in a threatening tone more like "You better do the repairs how I want or I'll sue... screw what the law says you can do" Just replace "sue" with some act of violence and you get the tone I mean.

    In summary I'm tired of their antics costing me time/money/stress as well as abusing my trust/friendship and want them off my property before they cause even more damage down the road, however I'm not sure how to go about it without making it look like it's out of Retaliation for the recent incident in the "expensive fines to me" sense, and more "they're a danger to my property and I want them gone" sense and this recent incident is just the last straw.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Choice_Ad7544
    [link] [comments]

    Lead paint in rental house was not disclosed until after I signed an execution agreement

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:16 PM PST

    Portland, OR

    I know this is a long shot, because no matter how I look at it, I feel like what they're doing is legal and I got duped. I'm working with a property management company, and in order for us to keep the offer for the place we had to sign an agreement that we would be signing a lease in the near future. This included first months rent.

    They finally sent the lease documents and alluded to sending us lead based paint disclosure by tomorrow. Legally, as long as I am aware and sign the epa agreement before the lease, they did their part in making us aware and giving us info on "how to protect your family from lead based paint."

    So my main question here is: if I don't want to sign the lease is there any leverage I'd have to get my first months rent back? It just feels slimy that we weren't informed until after we paid and all but moved in.

    submitted by /u/kevin_2_heaven
    [link] [comments]

    My Ex stole Son's insurance settlement. Can Son sue?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:29 PM PST

    Hi, long-time Reddit reader, first time poster.

    I live on Long Island, NY. My son and my Ex have same name, except Son has a middle initial. When my son was around 14, Ex sued my mother on son's behalf (she had been our landlord when my kids were young, and we had a lead poisoning scare. He sued her after we divorced).

    Insurance settled for $250k, which was to be paid out to Son in installments upon his 18th birthday. Ex received the checks and had Son endorse them over to him. Son has received $60k out of the $250k. Son is now 30 y/o. Is it too late for him to sue his father for the other $190K?

    submitted by /u/crazyskates
    [link] [comments]

    Employment Resignation Question

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:38 PM PST

    So this just happened and I'm wondering if there is anything illegal about this besides me feeling screwed.

    This is in the state of Ohio in the US.

    My current employer (I'll call company A) implemented a new system and used a consulting company (I'll call company B). Company B also had another consulting company assist (I'll call company C). Company A and Company B signed a non-solicitation agreement. I believe in this agreement the only relevant factor is that both companies wouldn't hire employees of the other and Company A wouldn't use Company C without going through Company B. I was very involved with the implementation of the new system.

    Company A didn't agree with most of the hours that they were billed had not paid the majority of the bills for Company B. This got to the point that both companies decided to settle on an amount and cancel the agreements. This worked for Company A because they liked Company C and wanted to contract with them directly without going through a middleman.

    I've always been interested in working for Company B as soon as I saw it what they did and learned more about their company. I reached out to them and asked if they would consider hiring me. Company B looked through their contract and felt there was nothing that Company A could "legally" do to prevent it.

    Earlier this week I received an offer from Company B and talked to my manager to put in my resignation. She was said to hear of this and said they would try to counter. Me trying to be professional and respectful and leave on good terms wanted to give them their chance.

    Today I received a call from the recruiter of Company B stating that the CEO of Company A called the CEO of Company B and asked that the offer be rescinded. They were very sad to have to do that but there was nothing that could be done about it at this time.

    Is there anything illegal about what the CEO of Company A did? To step in and call the CEO of the other company to convince them to withdraw my offer?

    submitted by /u/teelegit
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have to have a “No Trespassing” sign on my property in order to call the police or take legal action if people enter my front or back yard?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:16 AM PST

    We have a neighbor whose 40 year old son is living with her selling drugs and there are a lot of visitors coming and going during the day and night. My husband and I have found someone in our fenced backyard a few times going through our shed or just being suspicious. They always leave by the time the police show up. We also have two dogs and I'm concerned about a possible lawsuit if the dogs cause physical harm to the trespasser. Located in Washington State.

    submitted by /u/khaleesilifts
    [link] [comments]

    Ex-boyfriend reused to break the lease, refuses to pay rent, and has caused damage. What can i do?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:36 PM PST

    Long story short, i broke up with my now ex, he at first agreed to break the lease then refused to sign the paper. I offered to pay to break the lease or to pay for him to take it over and he said no.

    I'm a struggling college student and had money saved up for my fall semester but ended up using it to pay rent for the apartment, though i do not live there anymore. I had to sell most of my valuables just to give him rent money for August, only to find out the money never went to rent (currently 6 months behind rent).

    When i questioned him he said that it went to his bills and that i dont need to worry about it cause he filed for renters assistance...that was another lie. I found out last month (3 months after he said he did it) he never did the application so i scurried to do it, and im still waiting for word back.

    I found out through a friend that i have court the 21st and missed two court dates already (don't live there so i dont get the mail and he hasn't said a word to me). I am DESPERATE for any legal advice i can get. I really dont want this to go on my record, i tried everything to avoid this.

    If it helps, i have plenty of messages of him saying things like he's not paying another dime of a rent, he's not leaving till he get evicted, he wants to make me suffer, and etc.

    Anything will help!

    submitted by /u/ndoooot
    [link] [comments]

    Bank keeps charging fees and refuses to close account

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:24 PM PST

    Location NYC

    My wife tried to close her account at Citi a few months ago. Unfortunately, the rep didn't process the closing of this account on the day of her request so she was charged a $25 fee because there was no money in the account. She wasn't aware it wasn't closed right away so they continued to charge her fees and kept the account open on this account she doesn't use. Now Citi refuses to close the account unless she pays the balance that's now around -$300.

    What are her options at this point? Citi keeps giving her the runaround and isn't willing to review her proof that this is not her fault. Can we file a complaint or something? This is getting out of hand.

    submitted by /u/MayorMair
    [link] [comments]

    Retaining wall collapsing onto road, borough is blaming home owner

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:19 AM PST

    Hi! Posting this for a family member. The home was built by The Army Corps of Engineers in the 1930s. There's about 2 acres of land, part of the perimeter of which is surrounded by a stone retaining wall which separates the property from a local road. There is no sidewalk on that side of the road; It's the wall, 1' berm, then pavement. It's unclear if the wall existed before the house was built, but it's at least as old as the house and appears to be older. Last year the wall started collapsing in one spot. The reason the wall is collapsing is because of a utility poll fastened into the wall which has buckled and is now pushing the stones out onto the road and damaging the integrity of the entire wall.

    Two additional points. 1. The owner is unsure of who owns the wall. She was told when she purchased the house 35+ years ago that the wall was not on her property, but she cannot find anything stating this one way or the other for sure. She contacted the Army Corps of Engineers, and they also cannot tell who owns the wall. 2. It's clearly the pole that is causing the wall to collapse. She was not asked whether the poll could be placed on her property. Also, the poll has been sawed off and a metal brace placed on it at some point - clearly, someone realized it was collapsing and made an attempt to stop it, and she was never contacted or consulted about this.

    The borough is claiming that she is responsible for the damage to the wall, and posted a sign on the wall for the entire town to see stating the exact same thing. They are now trying to get her to pay for the damage and fix the wall. Any advice would be helpful. She's resigned to hiring a lawyer, but unsure of what type of lawyer she needs, what questions she should be asking, and what her next move should be. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/sop27
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get fired for dating a senior manager at a competitor company?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:49 PM PST

    He is in a more senior position in his company and than I am. We just started seeing one another, however agreed never to talk about work. We both have access to confidential information. What should I do? Tell my boss? Or not mention it since it's my personal life?

    submitted by /u/CharacterOrdinary315
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment