• Breaking News

    Friday, January 8, 2021

    Legal Advice - Can my employer cut my pay below minimum wage while I'm temporarily out of the country?

    Legal Advice - Can my employer cut my pay below minimum wage while I'm temporarily out of the country?


    Can my employer cut my pay below minimum wage while I'm temporarily out of the country?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 06:40 AM PST

    I ordinarily live in Washington DC but I'm currently in Italy due to a family emergency. I flew here last weekend, and I've been working my job remotely from here since then. I will have to be here for at least a couple more weeks.

    Today I received my weekly paycheck in my bank account. It was a lot lower than usual. I called my boss to ask about it, and she said she made a "cost of living adjustment." But the new hourly rate is less than the DC minimum wage. When I pointed that out to her, she claimed she can legally pay me whatever she wants while I'm in Italy because there is no minimum wage in the jurisdiction where I'm performing the work. Is that true? Can she really do that? It doesn't make sense to me.

    submitted by /u/AlarmingLoan2568
    [link] [comments]

    Concerns over autistic neighbor

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 12:09 PM PST

    My neighbors have a son who is high on the autism spectrum. He's the same age as our youngest so when his diagnosis was confirmed we extended our hand to his parents and offered to help how we could. They've taken that as an invitation to have free reign of my yard to include the various play equipment we have as is fitting of raising three kids.

    When he was little it wasn't a big deal but lately we've been suffering through some major issues with him as he has gotten bigger and his parents have become complacent. Things like entering our home, interrupting birthday parties, and shoving his way into family s'mores cookouts are excusable if not irritating. Where once his parents were attentive and quick to stop him, lately they've been more engrossed with their phones than their son.

    It culminated yesterday with him climbing into a tree house I have erected for my daughter, then climbing 30+ feet further into a spindly tree. My wife noticed and ran to help and noted the child's father hadn't even looked up from his phone in the time she hurried to offer assistance. The next ten minutes were a combination of fear, anger, and contemplation of calling the fire department while the father's not-so-urgent orders to "come down" were met with singing and muttered "no's." My wife finally had a lightbulb moment and retrieved some junk food from inside to offer as way of a bribe and that did the trick.

    Upon his arrival on terra firms, I confronted his father and said we weren't comfortable with the event and would have to make sure he doesn't do it again. The father quasi-agreed before having to take off mid diatribe to catch his son before he ran into the road.

    I'm seeking advice as to my next move from a legal liability point. Should I ban them from my property and involve police in a potential future trespass situation? Should I have them issued a waiver of liability form? Should I take down any equipment on my property that would be an attractive nuisance to the autistic child?

    I had already planned on erecting a privacy fence soon and that will happen regardless, though I wouldn't put it beyond them to scale it at this point.

    Thanks for any advice on this matter!

    submitted by /u/Big_Red_Menace
    [link] [comments]

    The township showed up with bulldozers and tore down fencing and trees on my property. They say they plan to tear down more next week. What options do I have?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 01:08 PM PST

    I just had to be a jerk and chase 3 bulldozers out of my property... and I'm a little stunned.
    The township is building a community rec center in some unused land adjacent to ours. There was a neutral buffer between the two properties, but it contains a little road they want to maintain, and as such they cleared area on either side, including a fence that separated my property from the neutral space, and some trees that were just behind the fence, on my side of the property line.

    Now, this fence *also* runs away from the property line and back into my property, but they removed the entire fence, including the part that was on my property.

    I love the idea of a rec center, but this is really scaring me. my property is currently used for some agriculture (though zoned residential. a farmer rents it from us), and I'm worried about our legal liabilities with children on the other side. we also have a pond filled with snapping turtles and other things that could cause injuries that we could be responsible for.

    There are a few trees left, and they are the only remaining visual separation between my property and the area being developed into a community center.

    I'd really like that fence to be put back, or at least for them to give us the materials in the fence (they took all the fenceposts back to their shop) so we can put it back up. And I asked them to put up something to demarcate our land from theirs, but Im worried that I have no way to ensure theyre being faithful to the original designations.

    What options do I have?

    Thank you so much.

    submitted by /u/Idiomancy
    [link] [comments]

    Can my mom legally take my paychecks from me?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 10:25 AM PST

    I turned 17 and recently got a job at a Taco Bell in Ohio. My mom wants to completely control my paycheck. She basically wants to put it in an account that I won't have full access too, and I won't be able to withdraw money from it without her being there. I made a post in r/teenagers already and someone told me to ask here. Is it legal for her to do this? If it's illegal for her to do this, can I legally hide the card I'm getting paychecks on?

    submitted by /u/fip1112
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment asking me to change/update lease because of their mistake?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:24 AM PST

    I applied for an apartment back in November and signed the lease, but move in date was not until a few days ago. When I signed up, it said 1 month free of rent but they told me my apartment was only $500 off (which I thought was BS). When they sent me the lease , I noticed it did include 1 month free of rent rather then just $500, but I figured they just gave me the free month in good conscious.

    Now I'm 4 days into my lease and my apartment is demanding I update my lease with them because they say they will only give me the $500 off and it was a human error/typo. They said they can't offer me a free month of rent because of the civil rights act of 1965. They said if they give me a free month it will be deemed as preferable treatment.

    This is in Texas. The lease is signed by both parties in November. Is there anything they can do to actually make me update the lease, or them not pay the 1 month free rent as stated in the lease.

    Edit: I reached out to the corporate office in another state. This is a huge apartment corporation that has complexes all over the USA, so that helped. I talked to the regional manager and she was surprised to hear my story. She said if it was a mistake on their part, they honor it. She is calling the leasing office to talk to the agents/managers that lied to me. All is well here. Thanks again to everyones advice, I'm glad I didn't sign anything.

    submitted by /u/Feeling_Saucy
    [link] [comments]

    Took my kitten in for shots and the shelter gave him away by accident. Heartbroken. Looking for legal advice.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:09 PM PST

    So as a backstory, in November, my roommate and i began fostering two kittens about 3 weeks old from Dekalb Animal Services in Atlanta, GA. We were given the kittens as foster parents, with the option to adopt. I had decided i was going to adopt, but because of the holidays, i was out of town and my roommate has been taking care of them. When i got back, i was signing the adoption over.

    I ended up getting COVID-19 and I've been quarantining. On Wednesday, Jan 6th, they had an appointment to be spayed and neutered. I wanted to take the boy back home, it had long been decided, but because of circumstances i had my roommate take them in . I called on Wednesday, before the appointment, confirming she was taking my little guy back home after surgery was over. They confirmed over the phone, and sent me a link to the adoption process, which i completed. It wasn't an "official adoption paper", it was just a request, but considering i had been the one fostering, upon receiving my request online to adopt him, they sent me an email (which i still have) confirming they were allowing him to be sent home to me, and marked him adopted so no one else could take him home. Again this is all in email from Dekalb Animal Services.

    At 3pm on Thursday (when we were supposed to pick him up after being neutered), i receive a phone call from Dekalb saying that they made a "huge mistake" and handed the kitten over to someone else. They said they pleaded with the family who had just walked out the door, to please bring him back because he belonged to someone else and the family refused.

    I sent a long email to Dekalb yesterday which was forwarded to the family (I'm not allowed to have that information) and it was a 3 paragraph explanation of how much the cat means to me, the fact my grandfather just died from COVID the day before (which is true) and that i had COVID and was unable to pick him up on my own but that i really wanted him back, and i was offering $200. In the email i attached pictures of the kitten I've taken over the course of caring for him, as well as a screenshot of the email from Dekalb stating he was my kitten and marked as adopted so no one could take him home.

    I'm heartbroken. If the family doesn't respond to that email, what can i do? Is there any legal advice??

    What worries me is i didn't officially pay for the kitten yet. I went through the adoption papers and received confirmation they were marking him as adopted, but they didn't offer for me a way to pay. i sent an email on Wednesday, 24 hours before someone else took my cat home, stating that i needed a way to pay. No one got in touch with me, and now my kitten is gone and there was no kitten for my roommate to pick up when she went to retrieve him.

    I'm afraid they have me cornered on the fact that this other family paid for him and i didn't, but i have proof that I've attempted to get in touch with them about payment, and i also have an email from them stating he was to be adopted to me and no one else.

    If i press for legal action, should it be against Dekalb? Or the family? Is that really a "fair and square" adoption? I don't know what to do but I'm heartbroken and I'm scared of what kind of people adopted him, if they don't even have compassion to bring back someone else cat after a long email begging and explaining my death in the family, Covid, and Dekalb's mistake, and offering $200. What can i do to get my baby back. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/throw_1996-away
    [link] [comments]

    Subletter trying to break rental agreement by having her mother stay with us for 3 weeks (NYC)

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 12:21 PM PST

    I'll start by saying I do not own the apartment. I am the sole leasee of the apartment, and this sub letter, who I'll call L, sublets one bedroom in the apartment from me. Ultimately, I act as a "master tenant". All rent payments go to me, I was solely in charge of finding her and bringing her in as a subletter, and I wrote up the rental agreement that she signed back in July prior to moving in.

    Part of the rental agreement states that no one is to reside in the apartment other than herself, and it expressly states that this includes partners, friends, family, etc. Well it seems her mother is in a bit of a situation, and now L wants her mother to stay with us for 3 weeks. Not only is this against our rental agreement, but I'm concerned about NYC tenant law which states that anyone who resides in an apartment for 30 days or more legally becomes a tenant, and cannot be kicked out of the apartment, instead having to be evicted after a court ruling, and because of NYC's eviction moratorium, that would take forever. If she stays with us for three weeks, and then extends just one more week, then she has legal right to stay in the apartment, which would be awful.

    I've told L that she cannot have her mother stay with us, that I'm sorry for whatever is going on in her life, but I cannot expose myself to whatever this situation is and cannot allow myself to enter a situation where I might end up in a legal/financial mess. I told her that this is the exact reason that the signed agreement exists - so that no one can move into the apartment, regardless of the situation. She's saying I have no right to say no, and that her mother will be staying with us whether I like it or not.

    I'm wondering what I can do here. If I expressly tell her, via email or text, so that's it's in writing, that this woman is not allowed in my apartment, if she ends up letting the mother into my apartment, can I call the police and have her removed? How can I protect myself here? What can I legally do here, and what would not be legal?

    Other information that may be pertinent: L lied in her apartment application about being employed (she was unemployed at the time of application) and tried to lock me out of the apartment today by locking the deadbolt (she thought I didn't have a key to it, but I do). I believe this is fraud by inducement and an attempted illegal eviction. Am I wrong here? And does it even make a difference in terms of my options here? This whole situation has become so stressful, and I'm worried sick about what I can do to protect myself legally, financially, physically, emotionally... I'd appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/ariellejmcmanus
    [link] [comments]

    Stolen pet has been located ! Need Advice!

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:18 AM PST

    Update: Our city commissioner is helping us get the help we need from the local PD! Thank you to those who offered some advice :)

    I made this post yesterday night. https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/kst9ai/how_do_we_get_stolen_dog_back/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    My cousin's frenchie that was stolen at gunpoint has been located; however, the Cobb County, GA police department is giving us the runaround! We made an initial police report 5 days ago, and we have now gone to police with the dog's current whereabouts. However, a detective has to be assigned to the case and that has not happened. They aren't giving us any additional information.

    We are worried that the dog may be resold or harmed. Can't believe that they are taking armed robbery so lightly?! The assailants pulled a gun on him in broad daylight.

    Any advice would be so truly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/sewfartogo
    [link] [comments]

    [OR] Just fired and one of the listed reasons was discussing pay

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 06:49 PM PST

    So I worked for a company for a few months and was fired today. I admit it wasn't a good fit. I've honestly been looking for another job for 2 months now.

    Today, I brought up an inconsistency with my paycheck and at the end of the day, I was fired. Suspicious, but not why I'm posting. They gave me a list of ridiculous reasons why I was being fired. Some of them are outright lies, but that's not the point either. The point is— one of the reasons listed is I discussed pay with another coworker and that is "prohibited". I'm sure there's a law against that in Oregon. Can someone with more legal smarts tell me what my next steps should be?

    submitted by /u/AllForOne21
    [link] [comments]

    Test drove a car now owe dealership $400+ (Michigan)

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:09 PM PST

    I guess no deed goes unpunished... My wife has been looking to buy a new Chevy Traverse. Unfortunately what she wants and what her budget are don't really match. I have been keeping my eye on FB marketplace and to my surprise the perfect one showed up. Was technically "used" but it was a 2020 with 1200 miles that was used as a trade in when the owner decided he would rather have a truck....

    So I took the day off work and drive 3 hours to the dealership and go through the normal motions of buying a car. Was all going normal until I take it for a test drive. Being not from the area i am just taking random roads and trying to make sure on the off chance that there is not some issue with it. Coming out of some random neighborhood I am pulled over by a cop. He says I am driving erratically and asks me if I have been drinking or on drugs.... I explain that I am just test driving the car but he couldn't seem to care less. He asks if he could search the car and of course i let him... There is NOTHING in the car. While he is searching the car a K9 unit pulls up and of course he does a sweep. The issue is the dog scratched the ever-loving hell out of a few spots... Both of the officers while still being a straight up dick to me tell me get back in the car and move along.

    I get back to the dealership and tell them about what happened and of course they weren't happy... I wasn't quite happy with their reaction and some of the numbers they ran so I left without the car. Today i get an email with an invoice from the dealership for $432.... They explain that is the cost to buff out the scratches and replace some of the panels I guess the cop had damaged prying on it with some sort of tool.

    So now I'm pissed. I called my insurance company and while my agent wasn't in the office the person i talked to said even if it was covered I had a $500 deductible so nothing would come of it. I also called the sheriff's office and he wouldn't even give me the time of the day. I'm lost at what to do next...

    submitted by /u/copsscratchedthecar
    [link] [comments]

    Can my former employer forbid me from talking to old coworkers?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 03:57 AM PST

    State of VA

    Texted me this morning sayng, " Please stop all contact with all employees of ***. This is a legal notice. You have been advised.

    Do I even bother responding? One of the dudes is a friend of mine.

    submitted by /u/fofodd
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally committed "doctor shopping"?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:52 PM PST

    I live in the Michigan (United States) and I'm in quite the dilemma. I was desperate to get help for my insomnia and my doctor wouldn't listen to me, so I made an appointment with a new doctor and she prescribed me zoloft. My old doctor called me to go over my blood test results, and she ended up prescribing me zoloft too. I was just too nervous to tell her I got it prescribed through someone else already. . . I don't know. I felt like I was cheating on my doctor or something. But now they've both been sent to the pharmacy a few days apart and the app only shows one so I'm sure they've contacted my doctors. Can I call the pharmacy and try to explain it to them? Can I call my doctor and explain it to them? I don't want to go to jail over antidepressants. . .

    submitted by /u/spawnofspace
    [link] [comments]

    Can my parents continue to withold my money? Im 22

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:07 PM PST

    I am 22 in California and am in college. I have about $23,000 to my name but in my checking account I only have $1448. Why? Because my parents are holding my savings account and will not give me access. The money in there is money I got as a child from gifts , birthdays, etc, and about $10,000 from something that happened when I was 16 years old. I am literally telling them to give me the money and they say "no only when we feel its appropriate" BUT I AM 22. Is this even legal at this point?

    submitted by /u/Potential_Reporter11
    [link] [comments]

    Previous owner of the cat I adopted from a shelter is looking to sue (Tennessee)

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 10:22 AM PST

    I fostered a cat from a local shelter starting mid October 2020 and eventually ended up officially adopting mid November. A few weeks after adopting, a friend of my roommates saw the cat on his social media and started to ask to come to our apartment because she was convinced it was her cat that had ran away in February. We did not allow it and she continued to harass us through texting and getting other people to call my roommate for the next few weeks. It eventually died down for a bit when I contacted the shelter I adopted the cat from and they offered to talk to the person coming after us to explain that the cat was legally mine and the shelter had done everything they could to contact the previous owners (which actually was the person that had been harassing us) with the info that was on the cat's microchip. Now today she texted my roommate asking for our address because she is planning on suing. I know I haven't done anything wrong in adopting the cat, but should I get a lawyer? Also are we under any obligation to give her the information that she needs to sue?

    submitted by /u/abimec
    [link] [comments]

    Wife quit her job at a daycare and gave one weeks notice. The day before she leaves he pay stub shows she didn't get paid for 3 holidays. When she asked they said she didn't give two weeks notice and didn't complete a training course they signed her up for. (Wisconsin)

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 11:44 AM PST

    Some additional info is that they hired her and said she was fully qualified but when they were audited by the state the daycare told her she wasn't qualified and had to take around 90 hours of classes on her own time but paid for by the daycare. She did get paid 3.1 hours of holiday pay but it looks like they are withhold her pay for the class that she didn't consent to signing up for? We are completely at a loss on how to handle this.

    submitted by /u/SirCupaTea
    [link] [comments]

    (TX) Dog Bite / Pitbull

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:26 PM PST

    This afternoon my sister was walking her dog to the mailbox, a neighbors Pitbull broke through the back yard fence and charged my sister attacking her.

    My sister fell to the ground and was bit on her arm and leg, she called me and I panic'd and immediately called 911. They ended up giving me the number to the animal control, so I called them and they came out and just made a report. The Pitbull is no where to be seen, and the owner did not answer the door, the report was left on their door.

    The Pitbull followed us home, (my sister walked her dog to the mailbox about 200 yards from our house), I have videos of the Pitbull acting very aggressive in front of my house as well.
    ---
    The animal control said they'd file it with the police or whatever and they will call back within 10 days letting us know if the dog has rabies or whatever..

    I've never gotten an attorney for anything in my life, not sure if this is the time I would need one (for my sister).. please help?

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/youngespresso
    [link] [comments]

    [Massachusetts] Abusive ex left me to travel internationally for a month and called to say he is never coming back, what are my options for changing the lease? And removing all of his stuff he left here?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 08:53 AM PST

    [this will be long] Just ended a LTR with someone who was emotionally, mentally, financially, and physically abusive. He left two weeks ago for a planned international trip to see family and we were still together. A few days in he was unreachable for about 24 hours, then told me his phone was having a hard time charging, said "I love you, call you in the morning." He called me the next morning and everything was normal; he called later that same day to tell me that he needed to talk and he wasn't going to do a back and forth. I just needed to sit and listen. He was leaving me, found someone new (who he had been slickly posting on his IG), and never coming back. That was it. And maybe we could talk in a few days. He would be a "good guy and let me cuss him out. But not right now. Ok babe" hung up on me, and then proceeded to block me on all social media. And any form of contacting him. Except Venmo.

    Since he still owed me money, I resent a request for the last few months of utilities that he owed me. I had also text his mother explaining the situation about the lease since I had been the one who bore the brunt of the finances for the entirety of our relationship. She replied that he would be taking care of all his financial obligations in America. He then sent the money for the utility request I made. Then messaged me through Venmo saying that because my friends are sending him and his new girlfriend messages, he doesn't know when he is coming back. (Side note: I told everyone not to waste their time, but I can't control how they are reacting to his blatant disrespect).

    I should have just let it go, but after twelve years together and all his torment, I had to say something. I could, at last, stand up to him without any reprisal. So I told him he didn't need to bother coming back, like he had said, he was done and gone. All the things he left here had been removed/sold/disposed of and his car had been moved out of the driveway to the grassy lot next to the house. (A lot the whole neighborhood uses for extra parking, myself included) so that I could use the one spot allotted to our apartment. I hadn't touched anything of his stuff. But I could finally play his game back to him now that he was far away from me.

    Then he started sending threatening messages to me on venmo about how he would take me to court if I touched his stuff. And how he was going to file a police report that I stole his car. Something you can't do unless you're here, in America— but again, empty hollow threats to try and control me. (Mind you, he left his keys with me in case I need to move it for any reason). He wanted me to beg and plead with him about when he was coming back.

    We just resigned a lease renewal for a year just two weeks ago. With him gone, that leaves me entirely responsible. Sure, his name is on the lease but if he is living in another country and never coming back, I am going to be the one left to deal with it. I have already contacted my landlord to figure out a way to terminate the current lease so that I can take over the apartment myself. My landlord is incredibly understanding and is willing to work with me, given the situation. He also said he would look into what steps, if any, he could take to help in the process. I've been so busy collecting screenshots and calling advocates and courts that we haven't touched base today; so I'm not sure if he has made any headway.

    He was arrested for domestic violence against me in 2010 while we lived in another state. While he has continuously abused me, but I do not have photo evidence, as I was always trying to protect him. I have many screenshots of threatening, violent messages. And ones where he references that he has no problem "catching another case." I am currently working on filing a restraining order. While he was not supposed to come back for at least another month, his access to family wealth affords him the opportunity to fly back at anytime. I do have friends who are hate following his social media to see what he's doing and if he leaves.

    Questions: -How can I remove him from the lease? Does his history of abuse help expedite the process of removing him? Or terminating the lease?

    -How long, if at all, am I required to keep his stuff?

    -Can I remove his stuff from the apartment and put it in the basement?

    -If the apartment is put in my name only but his car is still in the one alloyed driveway spot, can I have it towed? (I'm not on the title, it is only in his name.)

    submitted by /u/Anonymous3725
    [link] [comments]

    Staying over 16 hours at an assisted living facility as a nurse

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 06:11 PM PST

    Hi, I'm a nurse at an assisted living facility for seniors and we do not have another nurse for the overnight which is 11-7 AM. I have worked since 7 AM and I stay until 10 but the director of the facility called and is asking me to stay at least half the shift until 2 but the other nurse won't get here until 3:30. She said it's ok to not have a nurse here for a couple hours on the overnight but there are patients that have fallen on overnights before and I'm scared that if I don't stay then I can lose my license due to patient abandonment? Is it legal for them to not have a nurse working the floor for a couple hours? And is it legal for me to leave even though there is not nurse coming to relieve me? I live in the USA in the state of Illinois

    submitted by /u/Frosty_Ad4093
    [link] [comments]

    Was Told to Post Here. Restaurant Advice needed. Florida.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:03 PM PST

    "I just started as a hostess for a family owned restaurant several weeks ago. As soon as I replaced the previous hostess, they changed the tips system from the host being able to keep all tips under 50$ and then giving 30% to the house after 50$, to taking 50% of all tips I make and saying it goes to the "house". However tonight they only gave me 38% of the tips I made because the owner had to help me put orders together since we were so slammed. Since she is part of the house I don't understand why she's taking bigger cuts of my tips. I get paid minimum wage so I know what they are doing is legal. However the act of it feels like wage theft and extremely unfair. The owner already gets a salaried and the "house" takes home every single tip they make off delivery services. We also do delivery and charge a 5$ fee but they won't let me keep the delivery fee and make me split any tip money I get from the delivery so I'll make like 2$ off one delivery. Idk what to do. I'm in college and don't have a lot of hostessing experience."

    I'm in the state of Florida. When posting on a different subreddit I was told that what they are doing is illegal. They say my tips go to the house but I'm unsure of who the house is, half the time it's the busser the other half they just collect them. How serious is this?

    submitted by /u/chongtholemu
    [link] [comments]

    My ex is withholding my sons medical information from me and is now asking for money in exchange for the info.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:16 PM PST

    I have my son majority of the time and am responsible for setting all medical appointments. My son has always been covered on state insurance until paternity case started. DES stepped in and insisted that my ex be liable for providing insurance for our son. He got our son on his employer insurance. It was ordered that I pay 29% of insurance costs but our case is still very active and there was a miscommunication with the child support statement. My portion of the insurance cost hasn't been deducted from my portion of the child support. There is a court hearing in February to resolve that issue.

    Problem: my ex refuses to give me insurance information to schedule my sons appointments. It took me weeks to get his member number and find out that my sons doctor is not in network with them. I was informed my son was assigned a new primary covered by his new insurance. Only my ex refuses to give me the doctors information. I tried calling the insurance but they said they cannot release that info to me.

    My ex sent me an email saying that if I paid him what I owe for insurance costs ($150) then he will release the doctors information so I may schedule our son for an appointment. Is this legal? Next court date isnt for over a month and I'm waiting for that hearing before I give him any money directly. I'm unrepresented I just need answers so I know where to go from here. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/t_o_a_D
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] Can my boss switch my from hourly to salary without discussing it with me?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 08:48 PM PST

    I was put on salary as an exempt employee without having a discussion about it. I typically work 50+ hours, 65+ during holiday weeks, and this is a pay cut for me.

    Edit; changed non exempt to exempt

    submitted by /u/lionheart07
    [link] [comments]

    Other driver slid over the line and hit me. Driver then lied and Insurance is denying liability despite all evidence saying otherwise. No help from my insurance either. Minnesota

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 12:09 PM PST

    So just before Christmas I was driving into town when another driver traveling too fast for conditions slid over the center line and struck my vehicle. I was traveling south bound and made a right hand turn onto another road traveling west bound. The other driver was traveling east bound on this same road. The intersection is a T and The road running north to south has the right of way and the road going east has a stop sign. The road is curved and I was on the outside of the curve and he was on the inside. The other driver was traveling too fast for the conditions (heavy snow) and slid over the center line and hit the left side of my truck. I called the police and stepped out of my vehicle to speak to the other driver. He said he was ok but refused to speak with me or share insurance until the police arrived. The officer arrived and he got both our stories separately. It was at this point the other driver lied and stated I made a left hand turn in front of him causing the impact. I gave the officer the same testimony I have given you all and we went on our way. Called the other driver's insurance and gave a recorded statement and submitted photos of the damaged vehicles. At the time I spoke to them they did not yet have a statement from their driver. No more than an hour later they called me and stated that "based on the facts and testimonies of both drivers we are putting you at 100% liability for the accident for making a left turn in front of our driver" so I called my insurance to get the dispute ball rolling and that is honestly the last I have heard from my insurance. My claim adjuster has not answered the phone or returned any of my calls.

    Fast forward to earlier this week and the police report has been released and the narrative they stated matched my statements putting the other driver at fault. I even went to the police department and got a copy of the responding officer's dash cam footage as he arrived at the scene. The dashcam footage clearly shows the parts of the other drivers vehicle laying in the road at the point of impact on my side of the road atleast 20 yards from the intersection.

    So once again I submitted all this evidence to the party at fault's insurance company and they are continuing to deny the claim. Saying that the dash cam footage isn't clear enough to identify those pieces as vehicle parts (it is) and even if it was there is no proof it's from the other drivers vehicle. They also said that the officer was not present for the accident so his report does not matter. They are saying that I had made a left turn off the road I was traveling on and claimed that I cut the turn so tight that I was in the other drivers lane and he was unable to stop in time.

    I have still been unable to reach my insurance company's claim handler. Do I wait for my insurance company? Will they even do anything? Or do I start taking legal action against the other parties insurance? What kind of attorney would I even contact to do that. I have already filed a complaint with the Minnesota department of commerce against the other parties insurance for acting in bad faith by denying evidence.

    TL:dr the driver at fault lied to police and insurance about who's at fault and despite my testimony, the accident report matching my testimony, and responding officer's dashcam footage showing points of impact. They are continuing to deny the claim.

    Edit: also wanted to add that I only have liability coverage with my insurance

    Edit 2: finally heard back from my insurance company. They are not taking any further action stating they can not force the other company to accept liability. So at this point I'm on my own.

    submitted by /u/IndustrialMurder556
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord won’t change our door code when it is the same as the apartment number.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 02:32 PM PST

    Hello Reddit, I resonantly moved into an apartment in NV. The apartment complex can only be accessed by two gates with a key on the ground floor and all the apartment are on the second and third floor. All the apartment use key pads for entry into the apartment. When we moved into the apartment we were given our door code which was the number of our apartment repeated, example apt 1 door code would be 11111. We tried to get the land lord the change it but he wouldn't and told us that all the door codes were random and that we couldn't change it. This door code still make us uncomfortable. Last night I was talking to some of our neighbors and it turns out that all the apartments have their apartment number as their door code except for the apartment the landlord stays in when he comes over and rents out on Airbnb the rest of the time. This make myself and my neighbors uncomfortable. Is the landlord allowed to do this? How can we get the door code changed. From what I know our neighbors also talked to the land lord about getting the codes changed and he wouldn't change the codes for them either. What can we do to get the door codes changed?

    submitted by /u/nerrrage
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor is suing me for killing his dog.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:36 PM PST

    [Alabama] I made a post here on r/legaladvice about a month ago. That post is here. It will provide context on this whole mess of a situation so I ask you to read it first.

    I can prove I had nothing to do with the death of his dog, but he insists it was me and he is suing me for it. The trial is in a week and while I know I have the information to clear myself, how can I stop him from harrassing me and my family? Do I have the grounds to file a restraining order?

    submitted by /u/DogLegalAdvice2020
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment