• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 9, 2021

    Legal Advice - Is it beneficial to sue Lowe’s? I contracted my floor installation to them 2 years ago and it is still unfinished. Job was estimated to take 1-2 months.

    Legal Advice - Is it beneficial to sue Lowe’s? I contracted my floor installation to them 2 years ago and it is still unfinished. Job was estimated to take 1-2 months.


    Is it beneficial to sue Lowe’s? I contracted my floor installation to them 2 years ago and it is still unfinished. Job was estimated to take 1-2 months.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 06:30 AM PST

    Over 2 years ago, I contracted Lowe's to install floors in my house and the experience has been terrible. The original goal was to have them finish before my wife gave birth to my son and 2 years later, my wife is due to give birth to our second son in 2 months. It's worth mentioning that Lowe's contracts delivery of materials to a 3rd party and they contract installation services to a 3rd party - all have been a good source of heart burn for me.

    Here are some of the items they have just royally screwed up on.

    • damaged my property before, during and after installation

    • constantly ordering wrong materials, which has resulted in my taking vacation days unnecessarily, as well as losing my weekends

    • terrible project planning - I have been the main point of contact between the companies and planned the work for the installation

    • took so long to fix their issues that my floors are no longer in production which resulted in some parts of my house being different size planks (thank goodness they still sell the same color)

    • and I think I may have lost a few years off of my life from all of the stress... not sure if I can quantify the toll this has put my family through

    I want to sue them and get back my lost wages from using vacation days to sit at home and watch them screw things up, as well as have them compensate for damaged property, etc. They did inform me that they will provide some compensation when the project is finished but I am getting the feeling someone is trying to screw me over at Lowe's and this project will never end.

    Edit: I forgot to mention that I reside in northern Virginia.

    submitted by /u/ron_jon_sean
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: [Alabama] My neighbor is suing me for killing his dog.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 12:58 PM PST

    If you not seen my original posts please do so.

    I wanted to make an update for those curious and thankfully, it is a good one. About an hour ago I got a phone call saying the case has been dismissed. I have to be honest, this is one of the happiest days of my life. The last month or so has been hell for me and my family and I'm very glad all this is over. If you have any other advice or things to note please let me know.

    submitted by /u/DogLegalAdvice2020
    [link] [comments]

    I need help because I was being dumb.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:10 PM PST

    Today I took an online IQ test. They said the fee for the results was £3.90. What I did not know is in the terms and conditions (which I didn't read thoroughly enough) it said that £39.90 extra will be charged and that I will be signing up for a 3 month minimum subscription. I've been reading some website and it says that companies can't do this because of the 14 day cool-off period? I just need some help on what I could do. (Yes I was a dumbass for not reading the terms and conditions thoroughly but also it's kinda misleading to hide extra charges in the terms and conditions right?) Please help guys I really need this money

    submitted by /u/De-bollocker
    [link] [comments]

    Employer “has no funds” to pay the employees

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 11:05 PM PST

    California My wife works for a nonprofit org and it's been really sketchy. She has worked her way up into management(a supervisor) but still collects hourly.

    Employer almost never pays OT (after 80 hours since it's bi-monthly checks) She works weekends from home (can be on the phone/computer for hours) for a fixed rate of 100 per weekend(sat and Sun) She has asked about her missing OT or DT and they say not needed bc they are non-profit so it doesn't apply to them.

    Most employees must use their own cellphones for work related purposes(few with company phones) and some even use money out of pocket to cover minor company expenses. (Can't go into detail)

    The work week is as follows: 1-15 gets paid on the 25 of that month and 16th-end gets paid on the 10th of the next month.(or the Friday closest to pay date) This weeks pay date is today but the employer didn't issue a check to half of the staff and the other half was told there is no funds so don't cash it until next week.

    So I've got a couple questions:

    How long can staff go without a paycheck? How do we get them to pay for missing OT/DT and weekend hours? What is the law on personal phone usage for employment purposes? Staff must stay on duty during the whole shift so they don't get a lunch or breaks during the exactly 8 hours (example 9am-5pm) Last question. Some employees were out due to Covid-19 and didn't get Covid pay, any way to recoup lost wages?

    I'm sure this should all be taken to a lawyer or something but I would like to know what we are getting into. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/WeldPhoenix
    [link] [comments]

    My mom filed a fraudulent Unemployment UI claim under my SS#

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:38 PM PST

    METRO ATLANTA, GA USA My mom filed a UI claim under my name without my consent in June/July '20. I didn't know until September when they start calling and she's telling me what to say. I didn't think it would actually go through because the only job she put on there for this year was my work at a PapaJohns, and I was only there for 4 days and quit because I was also applying for disability at the time and my lawyer said that it wouldn't be a good fit. She put I quit because of the pandemic and it went through. I got over 20k in back pay and have not told her. I paid off $1,200 of medical debt, and have been investing quite a bit, roughly 3k, hoping to make back what I've spent on the credit debt. I've also been buying food with it and paying for psychiatric appointments because I really do need the money and can't always afford those things with doordash. So the DoorDash thing was something I forgot about, until I got an email today about receiving a tax form from them because I made over $600 last year on their platform. I've never done taxes before. I've never been able to because I have two chronic health conditions that don't allow me to hold a regular job, hence my applying for disability last year (was denied) and I also share a car with my sister who has a waitress job and 2 kids so I don't always have the access to Doordash . Anyway I'm almost certain I'll have to pay back the UI, since when I file taxes, the DOL will see the problem? Idk how much of this works, taxes, UI, debt, so can anyone foresee how this might play out, or what I should prepare for? If not, any suggestions for who Could help?

    TL;dr : mom filed a claim with my Ss, it went through, 20k in back pay. I was a doordasher all year and received a tax form I'll have to file. I've been using/ investing the funds anyway. Very confused and anxious. Should I just wait for UI to send the letter requesting repayment or do something now? If I don't report my mom, will I be in trouble for spending some? I'm 22 and very scared - I MOSTLY WANT TO KNOW what will happen to me or my mom if I tell GA DOL the complete truth at this point? Is there a partial truth I can tell? Would it be a lesser impact to file taxes and wait and see if/how the DOL reacts?

    submitted by /u/ThrowAwayGreen98
    [link] [comments]

    My younger cousin is saying I sexually assaulted him when we were kids.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 02:37 PM PST

    I'm 24, my cousin is 19. He recently told my Aunt (his mom) that I sexually assaulted him when he was 6 or 7, making me 11-12 at the time. This is not true. But I'm concerned about what could happen if him or her tried to take it further with the law. Ive decided on getting a Polygraph Test so that I can show my family the truth, but is there anything I would need to worry about or anticipate? I am a Male btw. And we live in California. Any guidance or advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/folk-boy
    [link] [comments]

    [TN] I was fired shortly after an out-of-state [TX] police detective contacted my boss

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 01:09 PM PST

    I was a member of senior leadership for a company where I worked for nearly four years. Two months ago, I was contacted by an out-of-state police detective who said I was listed as a suspect in a case filed by an ex-girlfriend (also out of state, separated for two years). I had my attorney get in touch with the detective, he said I was not involved, and if the detective had questions they could be sent to my attorney. No charges have been filed, and there was no follow-up from the detective.

    One week later, my boss revealed to me that the detective had emailed the company founders asking to talk about the case. They all refused and referred the detective to my attorney. I thanked my boss and apologized for the awkward situation.

    One week later (two weeks since initial contact from the detective) I was asked to resign. I asked why, and the company refused to provide cause. I refused to resign and was fired. The closest thing I was given to a reason was that "this has nothing to do with performance, but we have to protect the company." Lips were absolutely sealed after that.

    This was two months ago, and still no further contact from the detective and no charges have been made. I'm baffled that this came to me and that it (seemingly) resulted in my firing. It has left me reeling and, not to be dramatic, a bit traumatized.

    Is there anything at all that I can do to learn why I was fired?

    Is there anything I can do in protest of the damages caused by the detective?

    Is there anything I can do learn why I was pulled into the investigation?

    Can police contact bosses without charges and without permission? This will obviously result in some level of professional damage — do I have any avenues for complaint?

    submitted by /u/Livid_Bet1360
    [link] [comments]

    [NJ] I'm worried about a tenant's child (5), but don't want to seperate the family as they are dating my sibling

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:29 PM PST

    As the title says, the tenant is in New Jersey, and I'm in Omaha. I recently had to go to the house for two weeks to do repairs, so I was there most days. The house is being rented to A who is my brother, and he is dating Z. Z had a five year old called X, and while I was working there I was appalled at the way they treated her. Every day X would come and talk to me, and beg me to play even though I was clearly doing matiance work which wasn't friendly to children. I asked A to watch her, and he would out her in the main room with TV and a tablet, then disappear into his room upstairs for hours. Z worked, but when she came home would also ignore X, until Z or A got hungry and then make dinner. Both of them would constantly yell at X, berating her for being loud, for playing and jumping, and for interrupting them. They make their money scalping nintendo products so when they bid on stuff ignore her completely and refuse to talk to her until after, and then just scream at her for trying to get their attention. Moreover, they always called her 'shithead, idiot stupid, fucker, loser's and things like that. All the time, it was constant, and that made X cry so Z and A would scream at her more or just ignore her again. What made me decide to ask for advice here is what happened yesterday: I had to drag in the trash can as I was cleaning up and wanted to just chuck everything in it in one go. A came down and started yelling at me about the mess, about how there were holes leaking, whatever I take the trash back outside even though that makes it harder. Just before I go back inside I hear a clatter and X starts wailing like I've never heard, but I knew it was a child who was hurt. I go in and A is just standing there, all angry and disappointed, and without me even asking X says he threw and empty can at her and hit her. It was a small one, like about the size of a soup can, but I started telling A off as impolitely as possible. A storms off but X's mom comes in and when she heard what happened goes to tell at A and says that 'this is enough, don't keep treating her like that, you're terrible' etc. Mind you both of them are awful to X, who is STILL CRYING from being hit with the can. Leaving me to console her.

    I'm really getting prepared to called Child Services. I want to know a few things before I do, and was hoping to get some pre-liminary advice here. 1)How likely is it X will be put in foster care. 2) how likely is an order of protection. 3) A and Z might smoke weed in this house [neither were high during this incident, but the porch smelled a bit] will that automatically make it so X cannot be near either. 4) Does CPS actually work with the parents to teach them not to be assholes. 5) Is this actually worth a call over? 6) [This is a rumor] X's biodad is trying to get custody/visitation, will this give it to him automatically?

    I'd perfect to not ruin my relationship with A over this, but I truthfully love X more and her safety is priority. If I can I'd like the family to work together at being better and have heard that CPS tries to keep family's together but I wanted to ask to address some of my worries before I called.

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/dontchewspagetti
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] I take photos for employer to use in advertisements and website. Do I own these pictures?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 03:35 PM PST

    So I take pictures of units being sold in a dealership. Simply put - the item for sale arrives, guys clean it up, I take pictures of it on my cell phone for the store/other salesman to use in its website adds. I just upload them to a drop box and a our website provider attaches them to the appropriate unit and add.

    I am not paid for this specifically, its not contracted or anything, its simply "expected" of one of the sales employees to handle this. I am paid ONLY via commission.

    If I leave can I legally ask them to remove all the photos I have taken personally? Do I own them that way or does something about store use make them not my property?

    Long story short I would like to move on to another employer but would rather they not be using this material if I can prevent it.

    Previous dealers Iv worked with in the past had a dedicated individual doing this kind of work - with company supplied equipment. So Im not sure what the legality of everything is.

    submitted by /u/plu7o89
    [link] [comments]

    Dangerous Dog

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 09:33 AM PST

    I'm new here, please forgive any lapses in protocol.

    Ex-wife has custody of our two middle-school aged children. In October, she acquired a rescue dog. It is a large, aggressive, energetic mix breed. The dog was acquired for aesthetics, with no regard given to disposition. The dog was described to me as a "rescue from an abusive home in Texas".

    In late November, the dog bit my eldest son. The bite was on his face, and required a visit to the emergency department for sutures.

    The ex-wife insisted this was a fluke, and the dog would be "trained".

    Over the next several weeks, both children expressed their discomfort with the dog. He frightened them. I saw for myself, through the living room window, this dog take a menacing posture when I would drop my children off after a visit. My youngest son has shown fear when approaching the front door.

    This past week, the dog bit my youngest son in the face. The bite was much worse than the first bite on my eldest son.

    At this point, I demanded the ex remove the dog from the house. She insisted she "had a plan" to train the dog. From my point of view as a father of two boys whom will carry facial scars for the rest of their lives, I deemed her "plan" insufficient.

    I informed her that if the dog was not removed from the home in the next 24 hours, I would be calling animal control. She balked. I called animal control.

    The animal control agency sent an investigator to the home, and wrote two citations. The agent, however, did not remove the animal from the home. The agent says this is not in their power.

    Well, r/legaladvice, who does have that power? How can I get this dangerous animal out of the home?

    This is for Washington state, by the way. Bot scolded me.

    submitted by /u/alllballs
    [link] [comments]

    Can I sue a company for calling me nonstop?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 09:02 AM PST

    This seems like a ridiculous issue but I am at my mental breaking point. I'm in the US. Somehow my cell phone number is listed as a restaurant phone number for Doordash. Every Saturday morning I get 10+ calls from Dashers. This has been going on since March 2020. I've reached out to DoorDash support and am always told they will "unsubscribe" me and to give it 7 days to take effect but it never does. I truly don't know what else to do aside from changing my phone number (which I use for my own job and has been tied to me for years). Is there any recourse I can take here? I know suing would be costly, can I send a cease and desist letter? I truly have no clue if there is any legal leg to stand in here.

    submitted by /u/trulymadlydeeply27
    [link] [comments]

    My ceiling raining urine

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:31 PM PST

    I rent an apartment in Malden MA, this morning my upstairs neighbors clogged their toilet and flooded their bathroom. Thais caused my kitchen to rain human urine onto my stove and produce, food and cooking utensils. Nothing was damaged but I asked them what I would do to clean the urine which is now on my stove and on my floor and in my stove where the burners are. They said they would send a cleaning crew and they did but they did not check the vent where the Urine was coming from. I came back to my clean apartment which still smelled like urine and moved the vent and it rained urine onto myself and my floor yet again. I would like to know what I can do about this situation. I am upset that they cleaned and there was still the urine in the vents and was rained upon me when they said they would clean it. Am I liable for this and is this a biohazard issue?

    submitted by /u/ExpressionOk653
    [link] [comments]

    (NYC) Roommate called to say he is withholding to pay his portion of our last months rent

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:13 PM PST

    I and two roommates/friends have lived in the same apartment for 3-4 years. this past years lease is a year starting on the first of February (2020-2021). Roommate 1 (r1 = problem roommate) and Roommate 2 (r2) decided to move back home in March due to Covid. I decided to stay because i have a parent who's immunocompromised and didn't want to risk infecting them. All three of us looked into breaking the lease with no luck so we bit the bullet and paid the rent because we're contractually obligated to. Time moves on and R2 decides to move back in September, but r1 continues to stay at home. Fine, thats r1's prerogative, but r1 is still paying. Come November/December, and to make a long story short, I asked r1 if he plans to move back into the city. He says no probably not unless something changes. Me and r2 are thinking we will move out at first but are able to negotiate a good new contract for 2021-2022. This good contract was negotiated on the basis that it will only be 2 of us instead of 3, and I based this on the fact that r1 never gave me a definitive yes. I told r1 I was able to negotiate a good price (he asked) and he said he might want to get in but I told him I was only able to get this because I thought he didnt want to move back in. His response was "Lol ok". Fast forward and he tells me he feels slighted but decides to move out anyway. The problem comes up because he pays the rent and we Zelle him our amounts. This has been our process for 3 years. So around the new year 2021, me and r2 zelle him our amounts assuming he will sent a check to management per usual. Today he calls me says he is not paying rent for the last month (January 2021) and is making me pay it (for context, all three of us have been fully employed and are financially able to pay our portion of the rent). Both r1 and I are on the lease as liable for the rent (r2 is only the lease as someone who lives here but she pays 1/3 of the rent anyway). Does anyone have any advice how to handle? I prefer to avoid small claims if I can.

    submitted by /u/bpod1113
    [link] [comments]

    Ex Step-Mother may have reported my car stolen.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 05:08 PM PST

    Typically a lurker but desperate for help!

    My father gave me a car shortly before he passed and was unable to sign the title to my name. I've been trying to work with his wife (who has been a nightmare since they met, even worse after he passed) about getting my car into my name. We've communicated mainly through text about me sending the title via mail to her since we live in different states. I priority shipped to her and sent her money to priority ship it back over 2 months ago and yet to receive it. I've double checked with her about sending it and the address that she sent it to. She assured me she had sent the title and to the correct address. I decided maybe it was the holidays mixed the pandemic causing a hold up. But now she has been avoiding my phone calls and text messages for a couple of weeks.

    I knew sending the title to her was a risk and family warned me she would probably report it stolen but wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt since she knows it's my only sort of transportation and the only time my dad actually held true on his promise to me and came through for me when I really needed help. (We had a very difficult past and he was finally making amends to his children)

    So now I'm stuck and unsure of what to do.

    Should I go to the police and ask them if the car has been reported stolen?

    Will the police arrest me for being in possession of a stolen vehicle?

    I still have all the text conversations of us talking about how it's my car and I need the title in my name.

    Could the texts deter the police from arresting me? Or will it need to be worked amongst lawyers?

    I live in Ohio if it makes a difference.

    submitted by /u/ashleymsmith1995
    [link] [comments]

    Made a noise complaint, one of the supposed perpetrators got arrested but is now claiming we got the wrong apartment, and police are implying we're forced to help prosecute them now. Help!

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 09:40 PM PST

    Located in U.S.A., Southern California.

    Okay, this one is kind of a doozy. I'll try to keep it short and simple.

    My roommate and I, both humble college students just trying to study, have been bothered off and on during our lease in our current apartment complex by loud parties held by neighbors. On at least one occasion, this led to someone from a particular apartment that we knew specifically on that day to be holding the offending party coming up to our apartment and apologizing (albeit while drunk). Let's call this specific apartment no. XX.

    Yesterday, shit got real noisy yet again. Tired of this, my roommate and I came out of our rooms to our dining table/entryway and commiserated about it until my roommate suggested making a noise complaint via the local non-emergency police line. (I did not go down to no. XX in person to ask about noise because a) we weren't sure anyone could even hear us knocking, b) we are trying to strictly quarantine as much as possible because we're in a very high-risk area, and c) we weren't sure if this was the only apartment contributing to noise - it seemed practically the whole building.) We eventually called non-emergence to lodge a noise complaint, using her phone, but me as the caller. We specifically asked if we could report it anonymously to the dispatcher, who told us that we could not and needed a name, so we gave them my name, fairly straightforward. We made sure to note that we thought it was apartment XX in question because we could see dim, color-changing party lights through their windows and saw multiple people inside, and I also thought I saw multiple more people enter the apartment; however, we also were clear that this was our best guess and that the commotion seemed to be coming (both noise-wise and people-entering-doors-wise) from multiple apartments and that there might be multiple apartments participating, and that there was some general confusion in this regard.

    A few minutes later the police showed up and started knocking very loudly on the door of no. XX. We could see that nobody was answering for several minutes. After some time, one of the police came up and knocked on our door. We briefly talked regarding the complaint. I said it did seem to be that apartment based on what I'd noted in the call, as well as the apartment having been a known culprit in the past. The police asked if we would be willing to condone arrest/prosecution, which I took to mean in case something serious happened (like someone outright refusing to quiet down or getting violent) and certainly only after the police had reasonably confirmed someone to be at fault. Granted, I don't remember the exact wording; this was past eleven thirty at night or so and I was sleepy. My roommate said we just want the noise to stop, which I agreed with. The police pressed on whether we would condone an arrest, so I answered, "Well, I guess they'll get what's coming to them." Again, I had in mind that if someone did something arrest-worthy, then it would happen, but I was sleepy and it was my fault for not insisting on more clarification or straight-up refusing.

    Well, the police ended up dragging(!) some young woman out of no. XX while her friends recorded it from different balconies, shouting about her rights while she got dragged away, hands behind her back. Not at all what we expected, but we supposed something must have happened, violence or whatever, and anyway we couldn't do anything about it, so we went back to our lives.

    Today, two young women declaring themselves to be residents of no. XX came to our door asking about last night. They looked very afraid and very shaken. They told us they had simply been enjoying music with two friends plus the ten permanent residents of that apartment, and when the police arrived, a dad of one of the residents - who was supposedly a cop himself - advised the residents remotely not to answer the door (which indeed should not be necessary if the police have no arrest warrant, which I'm 99.9% sure they couldn't have) - so they didn't. They said they had a friend scheduled to come by and when he did, they went to the door to let him in; they couldn't see the police through the peephole at that point, and claimed the police were waiting for them just around the corner instead. When they let their friend in, the police shoved the door wide open, barged in, grabbed a resident, and arrested her, handcuffs and all (this being the part we saw ourselves the night before, as it happened, albeit we only saw the aftermath of her being dragged away).

    After recounting this story, the two young women said they were giving us their number so we could just call them should any excessive noise in the complex occur in the future, because they didn't want to go through such a traumatic experience again; they were hardworking students like us, and among other things, an arrest could completely overturn their chances at a career. My roommate and I talked this over afterwards and agreed that something was really strange here and it seemed like the police horribly overreacted, to put it mildly. We certainly didn't expect - nor want - anyone to be arrested or traumatized over a noise complaint.

    Later today, the same cop who spoke with my roommate and I last night came to the door with a paper form. I only glanced at it, but it was to the effect of agreeing that I supported the arrest of the person who was arrested last night. I realized that I could not in good conscience support the arrest, so I asked if I could not sign the form. The officer seemed impatient and said I had verbally signed it already the night before when I'd spoken to him in person - specifically when I'd said, "Well, I guess they'll get what's coming to them." I told him how I'd heard a very alarming story from the residents of no. XX today, and asked if the police had been able to ascertain theirs was even the apartment at fault before making the arrest. The cop simply said he was going off what I'd said, and that it didn't matter what apartment had been doing what, simply that I'd mentioned apartment no. XX over the call and in person, and that I was the one who was "disturbed." I asked what happened if I didn't sign the form and he just said, "then you don't sign it," which wasn't "you'll be arrested or put in jail or hurt," so I didn't sign it.

    So here I am. I'm really confused and concerned. One, how on Earth did a simple noise complaint turn into an arrest? My roomie has made noise complaints via non-emergency before, she says, and it never happened like this; as I expected, she said it was basically the police showing up, asking the residents of the offending apartment to keep it down, and the residents then keeping it down.

    Two, I wasn't lying on the call - I told them everything I thought was happening and that I could observe - but I also truly cannot in good conscience say that I now believe apartment no. XX was the culprit here. Of course, the residents of no. XX might have been lying to me, but they said the apartments below them were the ones having a loud party, and I believe fully that I could have thought it was coming from no. XX when it wasn't at all. My roomie and I certainly saw people dressed for parties entering and exiting doors on the floor below no. XX (as well as our own floor) and it would have been very easy to think a party was happening on one floor when it was really the floor right below. So I feel guilty for possibly getting that wrong, and the police are making me feel like it's thus my fault that someone got arrested - but aren't police supposed to actually check with people that they might really be at fault (e.g. by looking inside, seeing if there are lots of people and possible party paraphernalia) before making an arrest?!

    Three, is some kind of prosecution now really in motion? I find this harder and harder to believe, all over a simple noise complaint. Did my not signing the form the officer showed me really do nothing because I'd already "verbally signed it" by what I'd told the officer the day before, as the officer insisted was the case to me today? If something truly is in motion, I don't want some poor student to go to court or something over a goddamn noise complaint (and I also don't have the time or mental energy to show up to court, for that matter). I want to stop this before it turns into something even worse for people who don't deserve it.

    So yeah. Whole can of worms. Can't even make a TL;DR because there's so much weird stuff going on here. Help please?

    P.S. Officer also said today that my call had apparently mentioned loud music and asked if this was true or if it was more yelling than music. I admitted I didn't remember specifying music versus yelling in the call and that it was sort of a milieu, that I think there was music but yelling was probably the more annoying part of it. Is this here or there at all? Is the officer just being nitpicky and intimidating for no good reason here?

    submitted by /u/87655363543a
    [link] [comments]

    [FLORIDA tenant]

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 06:45 PM PST

    I'm highly confused and need advice. We signed a Rent To Own Contract for a home July 2020, paid 10k as a down-payment plus $1900.00 a month payments and those were always paid EARLY. Seller aka Landlord called us yesterday stating he is filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and the house is included. Told us it will go in foreclosure by summer so to stay for free, not pay him anymore and the house is no longer ours and we will be informed after his court date in February when we need to be out. WHAT????? We signed a Contract. We paid 10k down towards purchase price, made our monthly payments early, absolutely nothing in breach on our end.. Then upon looking at Public Records today we find out Dec 1 2020 they did a Loan Modification to get the mortgage payment down to $1400.00 without our knowledge and us still paying the agreed $1900.00 ..we have our signed contract and receipt of 10k down-payment and all monthly receipts. Now they have deleted their Social Media Accounts (best way we kept in touch) and told us they will "text" us updates on when we need to get out ??? Real Estate Attorney told me today I need to contact a Bankruptcy Attorney?? Anyone have any advice?? I'm pissed, heartbroken and just freaking baffled.

    submitted by /u/fezbytheriver
    [link] [comments]

    Medical debts exceeds value of Dad's estate

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 03:54 PM PST

    Long story short, my Dad died with very little money. Evicted from his house, almost no assets other than some furniture in a storage garage.

    He didn't have a will and lived out of state so it took me several months to get everything set up. (LocationBot wants me to be more specific, so I'm in Alabama but Dad was a resident of Tennessee if that helps).

    Today I received a claim on the estate for over $16,000 more than the entirety of his estate. It's all medical debt. He died of heart failure less than 6 months after receiving a heart bypass surgery at the medical center who sent the claim.

    What kind of recourse do I have? I now know the estate is insolvent, but what does that mean for me and how I proceed?

    Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

    submitted by /u/DesperateHousefly
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] We paid a lawyer $90,000 for a settlement agreement that took 3 years to reach, but the other party won't comply

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:34 PM PST

    TL;DR my neighbors and I hired a lawyer to negotiate a settlement agreement with our building's developers regarding construction defects. It took 3 years and $90,000 in legal fees to reach a settlement agreement that only includes a handful of repairs. The developers have 2 months left to make the repairs per the agreement, but they haven't started yet, and are no longer responding. My lawyer is also no longer responding. What can I do if the developers don't fulfill their end of the agreement?

    Full story:

    In 2017, I purchased a condo apartment in a small 4 unit building located in New York City. My 3 neighbors and I make up the HOA. The building was a new construction but within the first 3 months of us moving in, the water room pump failed during a heavy rain storm and the building's basement (where all of our storage units are located) flooded with a foot of water. When the flood remediation company disposed of the soiled sheetrock, they found black mold all inside the walls —indicating greater plumbing issues or a flood like this had happened before. This prompted us to hire an architectural engineer to inspect the rest of the building and he found many other significant issues both in our individual units and the building as a whole. We each had inspectors with us during the buying process, but I don't know how they all missed these glaring issues. The pump repairs and flood remediation alone cost us 30K which we had to front ourselves because they were time sensitive.

    Unsurprisingly, the developers refused to reimburse us or make any repairs, and after our individual homeowners insurance policies rejected our claims, we felt our only option was to hire a lawyer. Our lawyer was from one of the city's top real estate firms so we really trusted him. He advised us to aim for a settlement agreement with the developers—noting that the litigation route would cost us at least $100K and years of our lives. Our initial demands included repairs for defects found by our engineer, reimbursement for the flood-related repairs, compensation for property lost in the flood, personal damages due to the mold, and reimbursement of legal fees—amounting to roughly $250K in value.

    At first we felt we were in a strong position to reach a suitable agreement based on the severity of the building issues found and our lawyer's confidence. But as time went on, we each became increasingly exhausted emotionally and financially as negotiations dragged out over 3 years. We ended up dropping a lot of our initial demands as advised by our lawyer because he no longer felt we had any leverage. I'm not sure how that happened, it felt like our case was only getting stronger with each shocking engineering inspection report, mold lab test, etc.

    We finally reached a settlement agreement this past June 2019, where the developers would make repairs for a handful of existing defects—mainly plumbing and roofing related. The agreement states they have 9 months, which gives them until this coming February. Over the last 6 months, the developers have sent their contractors to our building once, and only to observe the defects. All of our attempts to coordinate dates and times for the actual repairs to start have been ignored. We have not gotten a reply from the developers or their contractors in 4 months. The deadline is a month and a half away.

    To make matters worse, we reached out to our lawyer back in November to ask if he could take another look at the settlement agreement and tell us what our options were if the developers didn't hold up their end of the deal. The agreement doesn't explicitly state any consequences or next steps. He agreed to take a look for free and I sent him a copy of the agreement (he changed firms and no longer had a copy on hand), but never got back to us. Several follow up attempts have gone ignored. He's now a partner at another top law firm, and we don't have much more money to spend, so we're probably just small fish to him.

    In hindsight, seeing how much we've spent and how long it took for how little we got, I wish we had just gone straight to court. My neighbors and I just want the developers to make the repairs so we can move on with our lives and enjoy the homes we bought. What can we do if the developers don't fulfill the agreement?

    submitted by /u/329402
    [link] [comments]

    I bought a bed frame online. It came with a notice stating any disputes would be handled through their chosen arbitration service unless I opt out of that agreement in writing within 30 days. Is this legitimate?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 04:40 PM PST

    The notice says if I don't opt out, any issues I have will come with a $250 fee to the arbitration service and I will have no right to sue or be part of any class action suit in the future. To opt out they want a name, address, email, phone number & proof of purchase. Do I really lose those rights if I don't opt out of this arbitration agreement (that I didn't agree to)? Live in Minnesota

    submitted by /u/hornsmakecake
    [link] [comments]

    Carer for disabled dad lost $15,000

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 03:30 AM PST

    My dad is disabled and sold something for $30,000 cash. He then entrusted this cash to his primary carer to keep safe and deposit it into his bank account. The carer has now told us when she took it out of wherever she was keeping it in her house to deposit it, there was only $15,000. So now we have $15,000 cash missing and the carer claims she has looked everywhere and couldn't find the rest. She lives in a two bedroom apartment with her son. Is there any legal way of getting the money back or is it gone forever? It doesn't make sense for half to go missing unless it was stolen by her or her son, and we have witnesses that it was indeed $30,000 that was in the bag. Location: Australia NSW

    submitted by /u/Ok-Information6061
    [link] [comments]

    [ND/WA] Random person on Facebook sent me dick pics over a year ago. Recently sent more, along with some porn. One of the videos was a full on beastiality video. Can I take this sick fuck down?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 03:14 PM PST

    BEASTIALITY WARNING

    I live in WA. August of 2019, I received a dick pick from a person I've never met. Facebook says they're from ND. No idea if the penis is actually his. His face isn't in the pick, and pretty sure his profile pic is a duck dynasty dude. Anyways, I told him it was gross and to never do it again, to me or anyone.

    Cut to today, who should pop back into my messages? This time more dick pics and pornographic gifs and videos. One of the videos is of a woman engaging in full on oral and vaginal sex with a donkey or pony or something like that.

    What can I do? I'm not trying to sue the guy or make money off of this. I just want to report it to the right entities, and hopefully get him in serious trouble if I can. Not because I'm extremely personally offended, but because he didn't know me, I could have been a child, and I'm sure I'm not his only victim. I have screen shots of everything.

    He blocked me after our conversation, but my friend looked him up, and it appears he might actually live in TX.

    Edit: He sent my friend a snuff film of a man dying brutally.

    submitted by /u/grungebobsquarepants
    [link] [comments]

    step mother withholding documents

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 05:27 AM PST

    First time using reddit so I'm not really sure how to format this but I'll try to give the best explanation of my situation that I can.

    I (F17) plan on moving out as soon as I can this year (preferably soon after I turn 18) and cut contacts with my step mother. I live with her and 2 younger step brothers who she adores. I'm not allowed cell service (Yet my 12 year old brother is,) she won't let me get a job and makes me babysit both my brothers while she works yet tells me the day I turn 18 she's kicking me out? My dad is incarcerated and my mom lies to my grandmother about me so I can't go to her about anything. I've mentioned moving out last year and she threw a tantrum over it and told me she won't give me anything.

    I'm uneducated on what I'd need to do in order to get out of this situation I want to change my name and possibly get a new ssn card? Can my name change be done online? I don't want her to be part of my life or look me up on anything. any advice helps, thank you so much

    submitted by /u/miaberries
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Dad is lawful owner of many firearms. How can I obtain legal ownership in the event that he is incapacitated or otherwise unable to transfer them to me?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:33 PM PST

    My dad has recently had a stroke and we were woefully unprepared to mange many aspects in the aftermath. Gun sportsmanship has been a huge part of our relationship and my dad's wish is for me to take possession of his guns after his passing. If he was to become unable to transfer to them to me himself, how does this process work?

    submitted by /u/enretrospekt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment