• Breaking News

    Saturday, December 12, 2020

    Legal Advice - Company is claiming I put in my two weeks when I never did and refuses to talk to me about it

    Legal Advice - Company is claiming I put in my two weeks when I never did and refuses to talk to me about it


    Company is claiming I put in my two weeks when I never did and refuses to talk to me about it

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 05:57 PM PST

    This company is based in Utah, my friend is 24F. She just left for an (approved) weekend off and the CEO just sent her a text thanking her for putting in her two weeks.

    They refuse to talk to her about it and won't answer any calls. She asked for proof and they just keep repeating that she is quitting/quit and won't elaborate.

    She is thinking this is to make it so she won't be able to apply for unemployment. Is this legal?

    EDIT* thank you all for your help and ideas! Going to talk with her tomorrow and see what she wants to do moving forward

    submitted by /u/Npetersen16
    [link] [comments]

    How to collect $100+k in child support after no success in 2 states

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 04:38 AM PST

    My son is about to be 15, and we haven't heard from his father in years. Because I was an idiot, I didn't get a court order at the time for child support when we separated (were engaged, but never married). He consistently paid $300 a week for several years from about the time my son was 1-3. He was also divorced and substantially older than me, so he had older teenage children who lived with their mom who he paid support on like clockwork. I stupidly didn't see him not continuing to pay as something he'd do. When my son was 3, he met and married a paralegal with several children of her own. He's responsible for his own decisions as a grown-ass man, but she told him that he didn't have to pay support without an order because, in her words, collecting support in Florida without one is extremely difficult (she was right). Anyway, about a year later, I hired a mediocre-at-best attorney and filed a case for paternity and support through the courts. After about a year and him not responding to any orders, I was awarded $1100 a month, plus back pay. He was also supposed to help pay for health insurance (which I carry) and obtain a life insurance policy in my son's name. Here's one of the issues- he doesn't work for anyone. He sells wholesale eyeglasses to doctors as an independent contractor. He also apparently doesn't file taxes, so there's nothing to garnish. He also kept moving around after getting married and getting his exact address was a challenge. Anyway, with an order in place, I hired a private investigator who was able to get an address and get the police in his town to serve it. They went to his house and he didn't answer. In two days, when they went back, HE WAS GONE. Legit packed up and moved like a thief in the night. Probably a year later, the PI I hired found him in Memphis, TN, where he had just bought or was in the process of buying a restaurant. The PI set up a meeting with him, claiming to be an investor, to get him served without him running. It worked, but he didn't start paying and once again, vanished. At this point, he's over $100,000 in arrears. Since I believe he now lives in Texas (where we met), I filed a case there. There has been no movement on it for over a year. At this point, I'm not sure what else to do. Is this a lost cause?

    submitted by /u/Just_Celebration1549
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be illegal for me to quit my job by walking out and leaving nobody in the store

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 01:28 PM PST

    I work at a major fast food chain and my manager is a weirdo and the other ones on meth, and I really wanna quit like right now since I'm over this bullshit and need to focus on school, so would it be illegal for me to walk out right now and leave the store empty? I'm the only one here.

    submitted by /u/GenghisKhansNutSack
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with Dog We Bought [California]

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 07:28 PM PST

    Long time lurker, first time poster.

    We just bought a French Bulldog from a "breeder" here in California. She is three years old and they retired her from breeding and sold her. We purchased her via Paypal as a business transaction. When we bought her they told us she has been spayed. Upon receiving her we noticed blood in her urine. We asked for a spay certificate and they told us that they don't have one because she was spayed by a retired veterinarian. We took her to the vet and they ran a bunch of tests and they determined that she is not spayed, is in heat and is having her period. We contacted the seller of the dog to get reimbursed for the cost of the spay that we will now have to get. They said they are still the owners of the dog and that they want her back. The dog has never been registered or microchipped in our names and we have now spent the money on having that done as well. Does anyone have any legal advice on how to proceed about getting the money back for the additional fees that we've had to have that they lied about? They said they are going to get a lawyer too to take the dog back. We have only had her a week but we are terrified that they're going to find us and take her back.

    submitted by /u/SamSham
    [link] [comments]

    I'm now homeless, jobless, and carless over what happened. Please HELP

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 04:49 PM PST

    This happened is Houtzdale, PA. So long story short. I've been with this girl since I was 15. We finally bought a house (deed is only in her name) together back in May. In July, we got a puppy. So I started to work from home to take care of him, whole she was still working her normal job. About a week ago she brought up we should sell both of our cars, and just get one. It would save us money, and since I'm working from now, we don't really need two cars. So the next day she comes home and has me sign something and sells both of our cars. She gets a brand new 2020 from selling both our cars, and everything seems great. Then, two days later, she just kicks me out. Now I have no place to sleep, no job, and no car. Also, no more dog. I don't have ANY idea how I can even begin to get back on my feet. Is there anything I can do in courts about this? I've seen some pretty crazy things go to court, so I had to ask.

    Also, we were not married. Just engaged.

    submitted by /u/ZacharyJamesHoy1105
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbors piling dirt and building retaining wall on property line.

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 01:41 PM PST

    I'm located in Roswell, Georgia. My neighbors just tore down a shared fence, graded their yard to be 5 feet higher at the property line and built a retaining wall 5 feet high on the property line to hold all of the dirt. Essentialy they graded their property from a gentle slope to be flat and now their yard is 5 feet higher at the property line. While doing this, they also tore down the shared fence on the property line. I know where the line is as I verified the property stakes. The wall is literally on the property line where the fense once was.

    The neighbors are in the middle of the work and I just discovered it today. I told the neighbor I am concerned about flooding on my property, maintenance of the wall as any maintenance requires trespassing on my property and impact to my property if the wall fails. I also told the neighbor I am calling the city to inspect their work. My understanding is it's not legal to grade the property higher at the property line and any retaining walls must be set back from the line.

    Am I incorrect for calling the city to inspect? What other actions should I take to protect my property from future damage, flooding from the wall?

    retaining wall built on property line.

    Property line prior to changing property grade and wall

    submitted by /u/FourSeasonsLand
    [link] [comments]

    Son's daycare is logging my child in and refusing to refund money

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 10:50 AM PST

    I am in NJ. In April my 5 year old sons daycare closed due to covid. After months of that it reopened in september and of course, he wanted back in to be with his friends. So i sent him back. Then October 30th we received a call from his daycare that his teacher had tested positive for covid. We are a high risk household. My fianceè was pregnant with a nicu baby and my elderly stepfather we take care of has MS and is very high risk. Clearly, we pulled my son from school.

    The problem lies in the fact that on October 25th, i had paid his november tuition in advance. When i contacted the school to discuss a refund do to an unsafe environment amidst the pandemic and high risk household, they stopped communicating with me. Then beginning at the end of november i saw that they started logging him in and put of activities at school through an app that monitors his day with updates of what he is doing. I have pictures and videos of me and him at my house playing when they are logging him for culircle time or lunch and things like that. I am not certain if this is to try to keep my money and claim that he is attending school or because they are trying to claim he is attending to defraud the govt for funds. I have not yet spoken with the school about the log ins as they seem fairly unwilling to communicate with me after my refund request.

    Either way, my question is what agency do i contact to discuss this situation? Is this a covid relief situation where i contact those authorities? Is this a state level funding issue? Should i attempt to contact the school and specifically address the log ins or do i just go straight to the group that oversees certain aspects?

    submitted by /u/catsandnarwahls
    [link] [comments]

    Only witness for a daycare worker repeatedly slapping a child and more. Can I be sued for telling the parents or filing a report?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 07:30 PM PST

    TLDR; I was the only witness for a coworker slapping a child twice and holding a rag over his face. My manager did not file any reports or tell the parents and is allowing this person to return to work Monday in the class with the same child.

    I have worked at a daycare for the last few months. I work in the 1-2 year old class and my 2 year old son is also in my class with me all day. It was working out perfectly to be able to work and still have him with me all day, watching him learn and grow with the other kids. Until Thursday.

    My normal coworker went on vacation Wednesday so we have had substitutes helping out. These substitutes are at the school every single day, they just float around to whichever classes need help. Practically every teacher and substitute at this school (besides me) has been working here for over 10 years. Sorry for so much backstory but I feel like it's important later.

    So, Thursday. There is a child (naming him R for privacy) who just turned 2 and has been experiencing a lot more tantrums and screaming than usual. The substitute that worked with me that day (named D) was getting increasingly frustrated with him as the day went on.

    At snack time, R asked for his water. He doesn't use full sentences but he will use about 1-2 words at a time. D gave him the water and he threw it on the floor instead of drinking it. D gave him the cup back and he threw it again. D took the cup and put it on the counter, saying now he lost his water because he keeps throwing it. R went into a huge tantrum. I suggested we sing a song and start singing. I turn my back for a second and hear a loud slap as D slaps R across the face. I stop singing, say "seriously?" And she exclaims "we don't scream like this, not in my house!" R screams for a few more minutes but D ignores him and we continue through our day. I didn't want to leave the kids alone with her so I planned to wait until she left to let my manager know.

    We get to lunch time and the exact same scenario happens. I am going from the lunch room to the nap room trying to set up the mats for the kids at this point. As I'm walking past the doorway to the lunch room I see D slap R again across the face. He obviously screams more and she grabs him by the face, gets down to his level and starts yelling at him to stop crying. He doesn't stop because this is extremely traumatizing for anyone, and so she takes a wet rag (we use them to clean the kids after they eat) and she holds it over his mouth, saying she won't remove it until he stops screaming.

    Since my son is also in this class and I didn't want to leave him or any of these children in there alone with her, I waited another hour for D to leave to tell my manager. I explain the entire story to her and she asks me "How hard was the slap? What was he doing that made her so frustrated?" I am dumbfounded wondering why these questions even need to be asked. No one should ever be slapping a child. My manager says to me, "Well I guess I will have to talk to D Monday and remind her that we don't do that kind of stuff here."

    There was no report written and I was told not to tell the parents.

    Since this day this has been KILLING me. I have to tell the parents or I have to call the local agency and report this. My only problem is that I was the only witness, none of the kids in the class including R can communicate what happened, and I'm really worried that the school will call me a liar and that I may end up getting in trouble for slander or something.

    Legally, what can I do? Can I file a report with a local agency and they will do their own investigation? Since the manager did not file a report, can I get in trouble if they try to say that I'm lying? Should I show up to work Monday and record a conversation asking the manager what is going to happen with D and if they wrote a report? I need to protect these kids but I don't want to get into legal trouble myself trying to do it😭

    submitted by /u/just-for-today123
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice RE how to evict squatters growing marijuana on my family’s vacant property

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 12:57 PM PST

    Hi there, My father died in 2016 and some property that he had in Mead Valley, Riverside County, CA was transferred in ownership to my mom who he was still married to (although they were separated).

    The property is a vacant desert ranch. It has no fence and the only thing that marks the property line is some telephone poles installed by my grandfather (who originally bought the property in the 1970s) and some trees planted by my grandmother.

    Recently my mom received a cease-and-desist notice from Riverside County code enforcement detailing that there was a marijuana grow operation in place on the property and that the county was planning to file a lawsuit against my mother if the marijuana was not immediately destroyed and if inspectors were not able to confirm its destruction.

    My two cousins, boyfriend, roommate and I all went out to check on the property and lo and behold there were something like between 6 and a dozen people living on the property in mobile homes and accumulating TONS of trash. Not only this but they had set up two HUGE outdoor grow tents and the signs of a recent marijuana grow were all visible (they harvested all of it before we arrived with a tiny wood chipper we'd rented from Home Depot so luckily we didn't have to destroy the obviously large quantities of marijuana they'd been growing).

    The code enforcement officer on the case said that the civil lawsuit will not proceed against my mom since the marijuana grow was removed however we are still left footing the cost of the investigation (between $1,500 and $2,500) and any second marijuana case opened in the property will cost a lot more, according to the same officer.

    My question is, how do I legally remove these squatters, who have been living on the property for about two years now? Is this something I need to talk to a lawyer about (and how do I begin to find what kind of lawyer can help me) or is there just some paperwork I can file to get the whole process started on my own?

    submitted by /u/fatandhappylilcactus
    [link] [comments]

    84 year old former mayor being exploited by 45 year old IHOP waitress

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 09:47 PM PST

    My grandfather is "dating" a 45 year old woman that he met at IHOP. She was a waitress there who had "fallen into hard times" and he felt inclined to take her in and take care of her. (Side note - my grandmother passed away in 2014.) This woman's name is Jennifer and he has been "dating" her since about 2015 (give or take). We were made aware of her existence when my grandpa contacted my aunt (his only surviving child) saying that he had made a terrible mistake because he bought someone (Jennifer) a car and was having trouble paying his bills. After several verbal altercations and getting the cops involved, my aunt was able to gain possession of the car and went back to where the car was purchased to try to sell it back since it was outside of the 3 days (or whatever the return time was) and the dealership ended up taking the car back - no questions asked, no money, nothing - after they recounted the sale, which seems like they may have realized something fishy was going on. Then months later, we found out that my grandfather went and bought her another vehicle - which who knows where it is today? Probably in an impound lot. So, as she continued to empty his accounts, convince him to cash out on my grandmothers life insurance, max out all his credit cards, etc. my grandpa stopped making his mortgage payments on his house. He purchased this house in the 60's and raised all 3 of his kids there. His house was due to go into foreclosure but he was able to sell it before. He got about 80k from the sale and does anyone want to guess where all 80k went?? About a week or so later, Jennifer and her boyfriend were posting pictures of their new Harley on Facebook. The ringer?? They named the bike "Peggy" (that's my dead grandmas name) "She's going to pay me $110,000 once she settles in court with a previous job that never paid her" So, after he lost his house, he moved into an independent living retirement community. Today, my grandpa owes over $13k in rent and is being evicted. We are trying to intervene but she is good a what she does. She has convinced my grandpa that my aunt is suing her in court alongside APS and accusing Jennifer of beating on my grandfather. My cousin tried stepping in about 6 months ago to help and once Jennifer (AND HER BOYFRIEND) found out, my grandpa shut down and kicked my cousin out. There's like 10+ Facebook threats on Jennifer's boyfriend page threatening my cousin. I talk with my grandpa regularly and I kept asking about his drs appointments and he kept telling me that he hasn't been in years. He is 84, diabetic and showing signs of deteriorating mental health (dementia). She has cancelled his doctors appointments over and over again. His last appointment he said she took him too and people were running out of the building and so they asked what was going on and the people said "they were clearing out the building for quarantine because the virus is in there" so basically my sister and I schemed a plan to trick him into going to the doctors and it turns out that he has been without his medications for over 6 months, despite him telling me regularly that Jennifer goes to the pharmacy and picks up his meds regularly and that he takes meds everyday. The doctor agreed that he is showing signs of mild dementia and his sugar glucose levels were over 500. I am rambling at this point but there's just so many terrible things she has done, they're hard to keep track of! We found out today that she's been accessing my grandpas funds by using my DEAD grandmothers debit card. The bank was never notified that my grandma had passed away though so all they could do was freeze the account. I've searched the court records and found out that she used my grandpas car (we don't know where or what happened to his car btw) and racked up SEVERAL HOV violations, I'm taking THOUSANDS of dollars. My grandpa has court this week for them and has no idea and does not believe us. Really the list goes on and on but that's all for now. What are our options? We've called APS, the local police, ran online background checks, etc. even contacted lawyers. No one can help us because my grandfather is "willingly" giving her access to everything but she's destroying his life!! His lives in Northern Virginia. My grandfather is a smart man. He was the mayor of his town, served on the school board and was an engineer for his local government. He doesn't deserve to be treated like this, no one does. She has completely ruined my family, has turned my grandpa against almost everyone - he's so bitter and combative. Something needs to be done to stop her, we just don't know what. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Sweaty_Art_3230
    [link] [comments]

    Can my parent/guardian force me to be hospitalized for a non-serious medical issue?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 07:41 PM PST

    I'm 17 & live in North Carolina. Recently, I've been experiencing some stomach issues. The first time something like this occurred it was BAD (stomach pain so bad I was crying & passing out, threw up genuinely over 100x), and I was hospitalized for a few days as they ran tests & put me through CT scans. By the end of my hospitalization, they pretty much told me that they didn't know what was wrong but that it was probably a stomach bug & let me leave after I was able to eat something and keep it down. This time, I'm experiencing similar, though muuuuch less intense, stomach pains & have thrown up a couple of times. Nothing crazy. However, my mom is telling me that tomorrow she's going to have me admitted & keep me in the hospital again. This is totally unnecessary, and I'm wary of being in a hospital setting because of COVID-19. Is she allowed to do this??

    submitted by /u/wednesdayshawty
    [link] [comments]

    If a book in the public domain is translated, the translator owns the copyright of their translation. Does this mean it isn't okay to use the translation as a reference for the story of the original public domain work in one's own writings?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 05:03 PM PST

    This is in the United States.

    Without giving the book I have in mind away, the problem goes as follows:

    Any book published before 1925 is in the public domain in accordance with United States copyright law. If I wished to write a new chapter to Dracula, the Iliad, or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea--thereby producing what is called a "derivative work," which by including my elaborations would legally categorize the combination of the original and my additions as a newly original work--I would be free to do so, because what I sought to modify was in the public domain.

    What's troubling me is translations of public domain works. Translations are considered original works, too. Meaning I could not take a translation of a book not originally written in English, such as Don Quixote (which was published in Spain in 1605) and make modifications to it--because it is the translation that is copyrighted here, not the original, public domain work. The translation serves as the original work of the translator and the copyright of the translation belongs to the translator.

    But what if what I wish to adapt, or modify, or what have you, isn't the translation itself (the specific combination of words chosen to convey the ideas of the story in a different language) but the original, public domain story the translator translated?

    In other words, if Frankenstein was originally written in Spanish before being published in 1818, and if the first and only English translation of Frankenstein was only published within the past few years, is it acceptable (read: within the boundaries of fair use, legal) to make use of that derivative, copyrighted translation as a guide for adapting the story and characters--which are explicitly not copyrighted--since one has to work off the translation to even know what the story and characters are to begin with? Or would I get my pants sued off for trying?

    The answer is probably "yes" but I wanted some sort of confirmation before bothering with such a venture.

    Thankyou!

    submitted by /u/Quinnel
    [link] [comments]

    Ex Wife's mother refusing to move out

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 03:42 PM PST

    I live in WA state.My mother has recently married her long time boyfriend of 9 years . She moved into his house 8 years ago . My mother paid the outstanding mortgage balance and the title was transferred into both of my step father and my mother names . My stepfather had a previous wife, they got divorced years 13 ago. her mother moved in 12 years ago into a section of the house that was built by my stepfather to accommodate her . She paid 37,000 under the table, meaning there was nothing drafted in legal documents or pertaining to the payment. Since that one transaction, she has not paid rent or paid for any bill or emergencys like problems with the plumbing, getting a new roof, ect. My mother has always had a problem with her still living there. About a month ago My mother and step father told the ex mother in law(EML) it was time that she needed to find another place to stay . The EML said no she wants 50,000 thousand for the investment she put into the house. I did the calculations with all th previous bills and assuming she should have been paying 1000 for rent a month and some for utilities its about 130,000 . The ELM has 7 kids who at first all refused to let her move in with them . Recently one of them has agreed to let her stay with them while she moves in with them, but the ELM is still saying she has no where to go . The ELM has recently sent a letter which I'll provide here (.https://i.imgur.com/tFNvnTH.jpg) To me it sounds sort of like blackmail. What legal recourse do my mother and stepfather have in this situation? Would it be in our favour if we went to court? My mother wants to call the police and change the locks .she has periodically turned the power off to that side of the house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/syntak1
    [link] [comments]

    Am I being profiled?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 08:01 PM PST

    Hello,

    Hopefully you all can offer some advice. Got a call from my auto ins. Telling me that I had a claim against me. Allegedly my car (Tesla) kicked a rock up and cracked a vehicle behind me's windshield. I'm in California if that helps and it was on a major highway with no construction. In what world am I liable?

    submitted by /u/joewandererto
    [link] [comments]

    Received an eviction notice even though I did everything my landlord asked me to do, is this standard practice even if a payment arrangement was made?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 02:16 PM PST

    I have been in contact for weeks now with my landlord about the lack of ability to pay for rent this month. She stated that I would have to fill out a COVID relief from, which I did in a timely manner, with the purpose of the form being to stop legal action against me for not being able to pay. I never heard back about it and it's been a week and I assumed all was well.

    However, as I was just leaving my apartment I had an eviction notice on my door. I didn't know if this is required for everybody who did not pay rent regardless of the COVID relief from being filled out or not. Like basically to cover their butts if I don't end up paying.

    Or am I actually being evicted? I'm freaking out and I don't know what to do. The office is closed until Monday and the letter said we have until Tuesday to leave. I'm in Ohio by the way if it matters.

    submitted by /u/pssblyprgnnt
    [link] [comments]

    Being impersonated online by someone in China

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 03:45 PM PST

    Hello,

    I was looking to register a domain in my name and I noticed that the domain was taken. I then checked to see what website was using this domain and I found a full website. It turned out to be someone in the exact same field of work as me. I then kept scrolling and found a picture of me!

    I kept looking around and found a fake resume with fake credentials, a fake email and a fake phone number. The only real things on it were my name, college, hometown and graduation year.

    I decided to contact the email and found out that the person behind it is actually in China. The person made the domain appear like it was in the U.S. by using a virtual computer and is using my likeness to obtain freelance jobs.

    This person took the domain in my name, is impersonating my identity online (possibly causing harm to my likeness), and using my identity to profit.

    I'm on here today to see if there are any actions I could take to get this website taken offline. I believe that this person being in China complicates any actions I can take but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge has some advice.

    submitted by /u/CompEngineer2020
    [link] [comments]

    I believe my ex tried to kill me while I was seizing

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 10:04 PM PST

    This is in Texas. I'll try to make this pretty short and simple. While I was with this girl I had a grand mal seizure (lasted 4-5 minutes according to the her report at the ER). First thing she did was call her mom who told her to pour water in my mouth. She got a cup and that's exactly what she did. Then she got ahold of my dad who called EMS for me. She's also thrown my name through the mud calling me a pedophile and drug addict (both have been proven to be false).

    I have a young child with her now, and I'm just wondering if either of these things (particularly the seizure part) are worth mentioning to any attorney I may get.

    submitted by /u/EatingMyL
    [link] [comments]

    Recorded video of husband abusing our children in the living room, he found out and says it's illegal because I didn't have his consent [PA]

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 08:51 AM PST

    Hello,

    I have a Wyze cam in the living room that both me and my husband have access to. He knows it can record audio and video. I recorded him being abusive towards our children and he found out and said I had to delete the video because he didn't give me his consent to be recorded. Is this true? I planned on filing for divorce and I need the video to prove how he treats me and the children (1 month and 16 months).

    Location Pennsylvania

    My question: Is it illegal to record my husband on a camera that is mounted to the wall that we both have access to and he knows can record if I am recording what I believe to be abuse?

    Edit: he knows it can record audio and video and he can also record audio and video through the camera with his phone. The camera sits above the tv in plain view

    submitted by /u/20-percent-success
    [link] [comments]

    Virtual Stranger told me he is dying and wants to sign his home over to me before his death

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 01:32 PM PST

    Basically an old man who is a semi regular at the store where I work approached me the other day and said he is dying and would like to sign the title of his home over to me. He lives alone and does not want to leave it to any of his family members, preferring to leave it to a young person to "help them out."

    I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight on how we might go about doing this? He wants to sign it over BEFORE his death so that it's already official and is less likely to be overturned after his death as he believes his family will be pissed and likely try to fight it. How can we make this transaction as legitimate as possible? And assuming there are no outstanding payments or liens in regards to the home, might I have to pay some sort of gift tax? We are in the United States.

    submitted by /u/SacredWishbone_22
    [link] [comments]

    Am I being exploited in my new job?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 04:51 PM PST

    Hello! All advice is extremely valuable so thank you.

    I (23 F) joined a very popular charter school in my area (US) as a teacher. These charter schools are known to hire experienced straight out of college students. I previously worked at an afterschool program and recently graduated from college (2019) with a bachelor of science in biochem. I applied to be a "co-teacher" since I don't have a teaching certification. I was offered a position in which I "facilitate" an individualized learning class. I teach back to back from 8:00 am to 3:15. I have a 30-minute lunch break and after school, I have to attend mandatory meetings on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays that last an hour. I am the only teacher with 200 students and I am expected to call parents of failing students after class to fill them in on the situation. I have so much work that I end every day at 8:00. I am not salaried and I get paid hourly but can only put in 8 hours daily. I get paid 18.46 an hour but they remove 20 hours from my salary in order to be able to pay me during holidays although when I applied it said paid holidays. I am exhausted every day and this is taking a toll on my mental health. When I joined 100 of my students were failing and I have to deal with the pressure of parents and other teachers. After-tax deductions and everything else I earn 950 dollars every 2 weeks which makes it impossible for me to move out. Today (Saturday) I HAD to participate in a recruitment event in which I had to pass out flyers in neighborhoods. I receive no help from any other teacher even though everyone else has 50 students and the expectations they have from me are extremely high. Is this normal? Are they taking advantage of my lack of experience or am I exaggerating?

    submitted by /u/Mindless-Room-748
    [link] [comments]

    My dad committed suicide a few years ago, but I still don’t know the real date of his death (if they even have one), where could I go to figure it out?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 05:45 AM PST

    Title says most of it. I live halfway across the country from the state he was in, I just always wondered when exactly it happened. The investigators say his body was in the house for a while before anybody had discovered it (nobody else lived with him) so they might not even know the right date but I still wanna see just in case. Just something that I wonder about a lot and would wanna find out, if anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.

    Edit: I live in the US

    Edit 2: found his record with the approximate date, thanks to y'all who helped out 🤞

    submitted by /u/TheYeetmaster231
    [link] [comments]

    [OR] Crashed my truck on my property but never drove it on the road so I had no insurance. How to file DMV report?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 05:51 PM PST

    I hit a stump when I was taking my truck out playing/driving in my field a few months ago. I never reported it which my friend recently told me can be considered a felony. It was worth about $8,000. It's still drivable but the body is in rough shape. Definitely over $2500 in damages which Oregon law says it needs to be reported. The registration was valid because I just bought it around a year and a half ago but I never had insurance on it. The reporting paperwork asks for insurance information. What should I fill in? Do I need to file a police report? Can they issue a felony? I'm kind of nervous because I had no idea. Also wanted to add my other car does ha e insurance.

    submitted by /u/UnlikelyPlatypus89
    [link] [comments]

    (CALIFORNIA) Ex-husband friending family members via FB despite permanent restraining order. Divorce was 30+ years ago!

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 03:53 PM PST

    Question: How do I deal with an ex-husband (who I divorced in 1988 (yes, you read that right: 1988!), who friends my family members on Facebook?

    The divorce papers included (at my insistence) a permanent no contact and restraining clause, including family connections, because he exhibited stalkerish behaviors (following me; showing up at my new home unannounced; walking into my new home unannounced and without any invitation; coming through the backyard to try and listen to any internal sounds (my bedroom was in the back of the duplex); showing up at my place of employment; etc.).

    No children; no joint assets following the divorce; literally nothing to link us legally or otherwise.

    As if it might not be patently obvious, I divorced him—which would lead a rational person to rightly conclude I wanted this person out of my life. However, here we are 30+ years later and he is friending members of my family on Facebook. When I discovered this initially, I deleted my own Facebook account and blocked him on LinkedIn. I later deleted my LinkedIn account as well in case he had any faux accounts.

    He also posted condolences on the online obituary for my dad several months ago. My dad died in a completely different state and there was not any continuing relationship between my parents and ex-husband following the divorce (at least none that I am aware of, and I think I would have known about it if that was happening). I was deeply troubled by that, and that is when I discovered he also had these Facebook connections with family members.

    There is absolutely no reason for him to be in contact with or connected with anyone in my family, especially at this late date. I requested of the family members that they please delete the Facebook connection and was told they saw nothing wrong with it, so they wouldn't do that. That is just one of the reasons I have gone no contact with my own family of origin (lack of acknowledgement or respect for my boundaries and my safety).

    Said ex-husband is also a practicing attorney, displays extremely narcissistic behavior, and is generally a very manipulative person. There is no doubt in my mind that his "connection" with family members via Facebook is his way "of keeping up with me." Since I am no longer on Facebook, he wouldn't be able to "cyberstalk" me that way. My life is absolutely none of his business.

    If I contact him to tell him to cease and desist contact with anyone in my family, I am violating the permanent no contact order. I also don't want him having my contact information or address (I live over 800 miles away in a different city and have for over two decades.)

    If I have to engage an attorney to handle this, that will cost me money for legal fees and I cannot afford it. I think I could probably ask for attorneys' fees from him for having to enforce the permanent order, but I would still have to pay an attorney initially to handle the proceedings. I am also pretty sure any legal action would involve reopening/revisiting the original divorce action. I have checked the courthouse records and those divorce records are so old they are on microfiche (i.e., they are not available online). It would probably take some time and additional money to even get the records. (NB: I discarded my copies of the divorce proceedings many, many years ago, so no longer have my own conformed copies of the various pleadings.)

    I thought about reporting him to the State Bar, but am not sure that that is an appropriate path to effectively deal with this.

    I have also considered just "ignoring it;" but, he is the type to take several miles if you give him an inch. How do I handle this in a legally appropriate way, while also protecting myself? I am triggered by this behavior from him, and my spidey-sense is definitely activated.

    Thank you for reading. I appreciate any feedback or suggestions for dealing with this situation.

    submitted by /u/CountingBackward
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment