• Breaking News

    Friday, December 4, 2020

    Legal Advice - After I filed for divorce my wife filed in another state, because she wants a better deal, can I fight this?

    Legal Advice - After I filed for divorce my wife filed in another state, because she wants a better deal, can I fight this?


    After I filed for divorce my wife filed in another state, because she wants a better deal, can I fight this?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 09:06 PM PST

    Am I able to fight my soon to be Ex-wife filing for divorce in a different state than we live in so she could get a better deal? I started the process to get a divorce. I've been married to my wife for almost 5.5 years. We were in a domestic partnership for 3 years before we got married. We have been in a relationship for almost 9.5 years. I'm divorcing her because she's pregnant. I'm a woman and we didn't do IVF or anything like that, she's been having an affair. We live in Georgia so I filed here. She was staying with her affair partner.

    But less than a week after she was served she filed for divorce in Washington. It's because she wants a better deal. Washington doesn't have fault divorce and has community property. Additionally Washington doesn't use martial fault when determining alimony. Georgia has fault divorce which I filed under because she cheated. Georgia doesn't do community property and in Georgia the law stops alimony if the other person cheated. She says she can get child support from me because we're married but I'm not sure about that. Our residence and one of our vehicles was owned by me before we met and my name is the only one on them. The other vehicle is also only in my name and was bought just before our domestic partnership. I worked while she freelanced/did a hobby that never generated money. I paid for everything from my pay. I have a lot to lose if the divorce happens in Washington instead of here. I know I will have to split what is in the savings but the rest won't be as bad here in Georgia. We were both born here and have never lived anywhere else. I don't even understand how she could file in Washington. She was here in Georgia when she was served after I filed and she filed again in Washington less than a week later.

    submitted by /u/divorce_throwaway522
    [link] [comments]

    Officer did not hand me a citation when I was pulled over, instead he mailed it and I received it 9 days later and stated my hearing has to be within 14 days, leaving me only 5 to appear. [Michigan,USA]

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 03:29 PM PST

    I was pulled over on morning of 11/24. He told me he was going to give me a citation for failure to signal, and a formal warning for following a car too closely. HOWEVER, he did not hand me the citation that morning claiming his printer was broken and he had to go help someone else so he was in a rush. I didn't get it in the mail until 9 days later, it says my appearance date is on/before 14 days (it doesn't specifically say from date of incident, but I assume that's what it means). This leaves me only 5 days to appear there to schedule a hearing.

    1. He checked the box that states "I served a copy of the civil infraction complaint upon the defendant". But he did not "serve" it to me, he mailed it in an envelope which was post marked 7 days after incident and didn't arrive until 9 days after incident. Since it was by mail, does that count as a "serve", especially since it leaves me only tomorrow, Monday, or Tuesday to appear?

    2. The following too closely was officially listed as charge #2, but the Warning box was checked, not a civil infraction. Do I have to formally sign for that charge on the ticket also (either take responsibility or include it in the hearing along with the no signaling). If i were to just take responsibility for this would it a) come with a fine for me or no since its just a warning? b) show up on my driving record in their database still since it was on the citation c) would insurance be informed of it even though its a warning, and raise my insurance premium?

    3. At the appearance date it says I can schedule either an informal hearing without lawyers, or formal where lawyers are involved. Depending on the answers to above questions, which should I choose?

    submitted by /u/StateFootballl
    [link] [comments]

    My yard has been vandalized since before the election after putting up a Biden sign, several times a week. I set up surveillance, and I now have good evidence

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 04:18 PM PST

    MASSACHUSETTS The vandal technique is a high speed drive-by from a dump truck. They throw various forms of trash, including bags of used toilet paper that scatter across the yard, milk jugs, kitchen garbage, and every once in a while, something more sinister: glass jars filled with screws and metal bits.

    After much experimentation and a lot of trial and error, I have good video evidence connecting the same dump truck to several of these events. They are very regular and once I had things positioned correctly, it was easy to collect the video showing how they do this.

    The problem is that this takes place in the dark, normally between 5-6am. While I am able to get good supporting evidence on the cam with the night vision, I can't definitely identify the truck- I can't read the license place without very expensive equipment and the night vision is not able to pick up any logos or other unique identifying aspects of the truck. I have no doubt, however it's the same truck; the light marker pattern is unique and correlates perfectly from one incident to another, and the drive by happens on a very regular interval.

    So, I'm considering setting up a stakeout since I'll no doubt be able to see them coming, flip my lights on after they have passed, and tail them for a bit to gather additional evidence.

    But, I get worried thinking of doing this; they are obviously unstable to begin with and I don't know what kind of behavior this may trigger if they realize they have been caught.

    The police are aware of this and suggested the surveillance, but, given the political affiliations of my local dept I don't have high confidence they will follow through with this, especially without the definitive evidence. Maybe I'm the paranoid one, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if whomever is doing this is well connected with the local police force.

    Any advice for this situation?

    Edit: to be clear, the signs have been down since a few days post election but the behavior continues. Also worth noting- this is a state highway; the truck is probably traveling 40+mph when it passes.

    submitted by /u/spokchewy
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] Employment law inquiry: Ex-manager caught texting my girlfriend asking inappropriate questions about our sex lives/my personal sick days. No action by the boss, so I ask for a transfer to a different office. HR denies my request, terminated. Counsel?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 03:11 PM PST

    title says it all. My girlfriend received a text asking why I wasn't in work one day and she was asked if im looking for a new job. I'm also made aware she asks my girlfriend about our sex lives (my gf used to work there, ex-manager asked inappropriate questions).

    I was promised HR would get involved. When that lie expired, I went to HR myself. I have recorded HR as I was terminated, and they said the manager overstepped boundaries but did not wrong and she will not be receiving any negative marks.

    I ask to transfer, they decline. I am therefore terminated.

    Who can I talk to about this? What are my options?

    submitted by /u/Green_Tourist
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a legal guest form to keep someone from establishing residency in my home?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 09:01 PM PST

    I own a home and live in Illinois and am considering letting someone stay with me temporarily. I would like to have this person sign a form ahead of time that prevents them from being able to fight eviction should that issue arise. I am doing this out of the kindness of my heart and am not going to charge them anything as they are in a rough place in their life. But, I know that it could become a nightmare if this person decides that they don't want to leave and the mess that an eviction can be.

    This would be for a couple of weeks, maybe a month. I was wondering if something like this would be legal and if there is a form that I could download from somewhere perhaps?

    submitted by /u/Notabot1980
    [link] [comments]

    Tenant refusing to leave at lease end, citing COVID

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 03:19 PM PST

    Bit of a weird situation, asking for advice on behalf of a family member. This is in Illinois.

    My family owns a townhome that we rent out. The current resident is not on the lease, rent is payed by her husband who - in the last month or so - moved elsewhere.

    Rent for December is due, but they just notified us they will not be able to pay citing "financial hardship due to COVID". That's fine - I understand why, given the current situation, paying rent might be difficult.

    What is troubling is their lease ends on December 31st - and they're claiming we can't evict them on Jan 1st due to COVID tenant protections. They are claiming they can stay past their lease end date. Given they are not able to pay their rent for December, we're wondering whether they are actually able to stay past their lease - and not pay rent in the process.

    Any advice on whether they have any legal standing to stay past their lease end, or if there's anything we should be prepared to do on Jan 1st? Appreciate the help!

    submitted by /u/mishmishbinks
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord will not clean up adjacent apartment where woman died over a YEAR ago

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 01:30 AM PST

    I am at my wit's end and don't know who to contact. Backstory: my neighbor died in her apartment in November of 2019. It was one-two weeks before her body was found in her living room, so of course there is unpleasant and very smelly stain on the carpet. In the meantime, her dog and cat peed and pooped all over the unit (both animals were recovered alive FYI). The whole unit is a disgusting biohazard.

    My landlord already had a reputation as a slum lord. With this, she absolutely will not clean it up. I have asked over and over and over when the unit will be cleaned, and she dismissively says "soon." Meanwhile she actually rented out the other adjacent unit to a family with a baby without telling them what was next door!

    Can anybody please tell me who to contact to get her to clean this up this biohazard?

    I'm in Michigan.

    submitted by /u/Paradav
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor wants trees cut down in my backyard due to alleged root issue on his side. Apparently at my cost.....

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 07:15 AM PST

    CENTRAL CALIFORNIA

    Posted on r/home improvement but cross posting here at commenters suggestion.

    My neighbor from the house behind mine came by yesterday randomly and gave me a letter asking me to cut down the trees in my backyard. He has a pool in his and is saying the roots are ruining the cement around his pool. I'd rather not remove them bc I like the shade and look but it's not a huge deal if I do.

    Issue is, it will cost about 2k to get them all cut down so I'm questioning me having to foot the bill for something that doesn't cause an issue for me while he pays nothing. But I also don't want to be a twat neighbor and want to get alone when we need to replace the fence in the future.

    Might be wrong sub but trying here first.

    UPDATE: just spoke to him. He wants me to pay for removal or go to court

    submitted by /u/entrails_avalanche_
    [link] [comments]

    Do I NEED hot water?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 06:25 AM PST

    I am a disabled veteran in florida. I have been living at my current residence for 7 months. I have never had hot water. ONE time I had not cold water for approximately 45 seconds. I have asked the apartment manager to put in a work order (1st written 3rd verbal) two weeks ago. My question is two parts; 1) is it illegal to have low income housing tenants without hot water? And 2) how long is the work repair order supposed to be done? Thanks in advance for any and ALL help!

    submitted by /u/420momma82
    [link] [comments]

    Is Dealership contract void? I don’t want this motorcycle anymore.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 12:20 AM PST

    Financed a motorcycle and we agreed to a specific price (including fees and taxes). Signed the papers two weeks ago, they said the bike would be ready in one week. Nope. Not ready, they need another week and a half. I'm paying interest on a motorcycle that I don't even have. It's sitting in the dealership service shop. Never even got a test ride in.

    Persistently asked them for a copy of the documents since I did not get any copies whatsoever the day I signed two weeks ago (is that the norm?). Anyways they emailed them over and some things are off. I asked specifically for GAP coverage. It is not on there. They asked me while I was signing to select from the four options: none, Warranty, Warranty/GAP and Warranty/GAP/Service. I choose Warranty/GAP. Why is GAP not there?

    Another thing is the price is not adding up. It's a little over $1k of what we agreed.

    Lastly, it states it's a 2017 on the contract they emailed me. I look up the VIN and it says it's a 2016. What gives?

    What are my options here? I plan on calling tomorrow to discuss all this. My gut instincts are telling me to find a way to back out, I can't trust this place. Now I'm entangled with this random bank for financing on a bike I'm not sure what to make of. I'm worried they're hiding some things. Thanks, very much appreciated.

    Location - California

    submitted by /u/milky_bunns
    [link] [comments]

    Quick question regarding pay difference for same job.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 05:15 PM PST

    My mother has seniority at her work place of 5 years of employment. 2 years of being payed $13.30 and yet 2 new hire ons of 8 month make $14 an hour for the same EXACT job as a take out operator. The work place is saying my mother is capped out on pay increases and if she wants more she needs to seek a higher paying job within the company.

    Is there anything that can be done? This ia in the state of Utah if that helps.

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/Disastrous-Guest6831
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get my adult brother released from his group home?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 07:07 PM PST

    My 39 year old brother has been in youth facilities, adult facilities, and now a group home for most of his life. I am the only family that keeps in contact with him or sees him. We are moving 2 states away in a few months and would like to bring him with us since he is doing really well and we feel he would do well transitioning to our home.

    The issue is that while there is information online to get a child released, I can't find anything about the process for an adult and have no idea where to start.

    My aunt is his personal representative so I feel I have no legal standing to advocate for him. She hasn't visited him or contacted him in over 4 years.

    We are in Montana. Even pointing me in the right direction to start would be much appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/whatthehell1979
    [link] [comments]

    Defamation, Harassment, and Libel

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 04:43 PM PST

    I am a published author located in PA, USA. Recently, I finished drafting a short story that I planned to submit to a traditional house. As is very common in the author/writing world, I took a screenshot of the final few paragraphs and put them up on social media as a celebratory occasion.

    Another author read those paragraphs. Without having read my story in its entirety and with absolutely no other knowledge of what the rest of my story was about, they claimed I copied the content of their recently published novel. The original accusation was that I copied "phrases, worldbuilding, and plot-specific elements" unique to the novel in question. The two stories do contain a shared (incredibly common) trope, but this is claim is outlandish and entirely untrue, especially to the degree to which I was accused. I was not given a chance to show the other author my story or explain myself before I was blocked on all platforms.

    Let me be crystal clear in that I am not worried in the slightest about a copyright lawsuit. Not only have I since sent my story in its entirety to others that I knew had also read the other author's novel and not a single one of them believed the two were similar, I am fully aware that concepts, tropes, and ideas cannot be copyrighted.

    However, what I am worried about is this:

    This author is now sending their family members after me. I have received hateful private messages to my author social media profile, referring to me by curse words and threatening copyright lawsuits. They have also made a public post calling me out by name, which is defamation and libel given that what they are claiming isn't true.

    So far, I have went on a blocking spree, locked down my personal profiles, deactivated messages and reviews on my author social media pages, and kept quiet about absolutely everything and advised others to do the same (so as not to add fuel to the fire). I also have screenshots of absolutely everything.

    What are my legal options to prevent further harassment and defamation of my brand?

    submitted by /u/Artistic-Confidence1
    [link] [comments]

    Problems With Contractor on Reno [TX]

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 02:40 AM PST

    Hi all, I'm going to try to spell everything out the best I can without going into full specifics of things like numbers. We are in a bad situation and really don't even know where to go from here.

    Earlier this year, we started a major renovation project on our home (above $100k, but let's use 100k as a base since it makes the percentages easier). In the beginning, our contractor was easy to work with, was very intimate with the job, etc. After a couple of weeks, however, he stopped being as involved, and a lot of things started going wrong. Now, as per our contract, we were to pay 30% up-front, 40% after demo, 20% at 75% mark, and 10% at the end). We had followed this to a T for the first two payments, and he requested the third payment a bit early, stating he needed it to continue work. So we gave it. At this point we had given 90% of the payment and it was a bit over half-way done.

    At this point, work started to get... for lack of a better word, bad. All of a sudden things start going wrong. For example, as per our agreement and chat, we had specific things we were expecting that weren't followed through on, from materials to setup and design. This has been met with things like "I honestly forgot we agreed on this" or "Oh, I forgot to do tell them," which was then followed by asking for more money since he keeps saying his quote was based on his flawed view of what we agreed upon and it would have cost far more to do the right thing. For example, our 140' foot was agreed upon to be cedar, and it was done using pine (at a cost of $8k). We called this to his attention and he said he forgot we said cedar and that he would have had to charge another $5k+ for material alone. Through the entirety of working with him, he's asked for one payment after another to pay his subcontractors, so we've, based on the $100k model, paid $98k of it to him already and there's still a lot left to go on the work.

    We've honestly been a bit lenient on things because we've been stuck out of our house for over 3 months during this process (we've spent over a month in hotels alone due to the massive amount of work being done and not having a kitchen for 3 months and 2 weeks now).

    Now, we've been called out and been asked for proof of the permit/inspection on our fence because the one he installed was not allowed by our city. Upon going to the city to get the permit, I went ahead and decided to pull all permits for work being done (things like a 2-door to 1-door garage conversion, with middle wall removed, kitchen wall removal, new pantry created, turning the old pantry into a laundry room with new plumbing and a sink, extending a shower and tub into a 9' shower, and a lot of other stuff, including a lot of electrical changes like a new outlet and new light fixtures). The city notified us that no permits were ever pulled for anything. They also notified us that nobody was ever signed up as a contractor to work on our house, so now we were called out for it.

    He kept saying to both us and the city that he doesn't need permits for any of the work that was done and doesn't know why they are even asking. In the end, he agreed to sign up as a contractor and pull permits. But now he's upset because of the work that has already been done and the city wanting to see behind the walls and under the new shower (and inside the garage wall where the load-bearing wall was removed to verify stability). He is pushing the idea that he trusts his workers and the work they do and so getting these permits is just a hassle for everyone and keeps saying the only reason the city cares is because "they want their money" and that it has no other purpose.

    Today, he's reaching out to tell us that the city is making him rip down our fence and replace it with cedar. He says the permits he's pulling are also adding costs and that he doesn't have the money so he wants to work with us to figure out how to pay for these fixes to his work. For the fence, he wants another $5k now, again repeating that, despite our conversations talking about cedar, he thought we didn't care about the material (but wouldn't the onus be on him regardless, even if we were open to fencing type, to figure out what's allowed as per city law?). We purposely did not want pine because our last fence (before the law was changed) was pine and it had one issue after another due to weather here. He's also asking for the cost of getting permits and licensing for all of his workers, stating that he never billed us for any of this since it wasn't supposed to be needed for anything (based on what I can tell, he wasn't even planning on one for running a new power line from our breaker box to the kitchen for a double-stove). His words: "interior work doesn't need permits, only exterior work."

    We are at a complete loss of what to do now. He's essentially asking for another $20k for a job we've already paid well over 100k for (and has increased costs many times along the way: for example, our stove was supposed to be included, then it was "$1100" for the wiring, then when we agreed it jumped to $1500 because he forgot it needs drywall when he finishes, and now it is jumping to $2000 since he thought he didn't need a permit for running electrical). On top of the money we've paid him, we've spent literally thousands stuck in hotels while this project has been ongoing. And now all work has been halted, leaving us with no kitchen or anything for the foreseeable future since he says he can't work on anything until we cover the costs of his permits and licensure and he doesn't have the funds to pay for any of it.

    Now, with the background out of the way, here are two issues we're having.

    1. It looks like we can't go to an attorney because it states in the contract, "In any dispute arising from or relating to this Agreement, the Parties shall first submit the dispute to mediation."

    2) Regarding the licenses and permits, it specifically states: "Contractor shall at its own expense obtain all permits necessary for the work to be performed." and "All work shall be completed in a workman-like manner and in compliance with all building codes and other applicable laws." Even with this, he's stating that we are responsible for paying for this since he didn't charge us because he shouldn't need permits for anything.

    We do have issues with other things as well, such as asking about making a change, him saying he would give information, and then finding out the work was already done and we were to pay x amount since it was completed, even though if we had known the cost we would have rejected it. Contract specifically says all changes must go through signed change orders but when we brought this up to him after the fact (after he had already tacked on $25k or so in charges for things we were just trying to get info on), he said he skipped them because it "is too much of a hassle to keep going back and forth with change orders."

    I know this is a huge mess... and it's something I really didn't expect to end up in. We thought that by hiring a company that's verified on sites like HomeAdvisor that we were good. I never even would have fathomed a contractor not pulling permits and then trying to argue with us about how he doesn't need them since all work is "interior" and that makes permits irrelevant.

    Does anyone have any clue as to where we even start with this? We've literally dumped everything we have into the project because we wanted to get it done. 3+ months without a usable home has been rough in and of itself, and now there's no end in sight. And if we have to pay attorneys up front I don't really know what to do because we quite literally are living off salads and keeping the heat off (despite it being 45 degrees inside right now) because we've had to spend so much on hotels and such while they work, plus him constantly pushing for more money and cutting off work until it's paid.

    Thank you for reading this, and if there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

    (As a side question/edit, I've been trying to find some of the other homes they are working on. I know they are working on a $450k renovation for a million-dollar home near me but after contacting the city they're working in there are zero logs of any permits by their company and the workers they are using are not registered in the city. But without an address they can't look into anything and we don't have it, we just know they've been working on the house for 5 months now and apparently have a ways to go, as per their workers)

    submitted by /u/raptorak
    [link] [comments]

    Tenant pretty much up and vanished over 2 years ago, now they are demanding their stuff back along with all sorts of legal threats. Today they called a police officer who gave vague statements that what i did was most likely illegal. Very confused.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 01:25 AM PST

    I inherited a pair of condo (quasi townhomes?) units from a family member, this condo unit was being rented out to someone I will call Sarah. I moved into one of them (they are next to each other), and she lived in the other one. I did my job as a landlord, and she told me she was planning on moving out by the end of the year, so i just let her rent until then.

    In July of 2017 she disappeared. I ended up texting her in August asking about the rent, etc and got no response. I tried calling her as well only to find her number was no longer in service. I was kind of worried, so i called the police and basically gave them the information I had.

    They did a wellness check and for the first time ever I go to see the interior of the unit, and yikes. She was a hoarder, and we found 3 dead cats along with a very unhappy snake (he was alive).

    Long story short in 2018 i had her evicted legally, the only response i got from the police was that she is fine, but will not be returning to her unit anytime soon. The unit was filthy, and i had people professionally clean it. I put whatever was salvageable into a storage unit in the middle of 2018, and sold the condo in September of 2018.

    That was the last I heard of it until this weekend. Sarah showed up at my doorstep pretty much demanding:

    • Why doesn't her key work
    • Where are her animals
    • Where is her car (i really don't have an answer to this one as her car was gone way back when she disappered).
    • Where are her things

    According to her was unwillingly interred in some sort of mental hospital by her family. Apparently her family said that they would take care of all of her belongings, pets, and pay her rent. Yeah that never happened.

    I explained the place was sold years ago, her cats died, and her snake was donated to local wildlife shelter. Her apartment was infested, and i did what was required and evicted her. However i still have some of her stuff in storage.

    She got really really upset, and i had to call the police. The police came and the police officer said it was a civil issue and she had to vacate the property.

    Today she showed up again to collect what things she still had, and said she would be sueing me for what she lost. She got very confrontational, and i called the police and she was removed from our property. But he also mentioned that he is pretty sure you cannot evict someone who is interred in a mental health facility.

    Can anyone tell me if i did something wrong here?

    Location: New York

    submitted by /u/NyCondoHelp122
    [link] [comments]

    Question about marriage and debt

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 08:51 PM PST

    I am proposing to my girlfriend of two years soon. The trouble is, I have a lot of debt. Student loans, some medical bills, etc. She has always been very responsible with her finances, has excellent credit, good savings. My fear is that we are married, some tragedy could befall us, I.e. I get hit by a bus and die, and she is now a single mother (child from previous relationship) saddled with a mountain of my debt.

    Are there any legal agreements that can be made or other avenues I can pursue that could insulate her from my debts? Any advice helps.

    Location WV, US

    submitted by /u/LamontOfNazareth
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal to require your tenants not eat meat [WA]

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 11:29 AM PST

    My wife and I are looking for a house and found one we really like. We noticed that despite being really nice and a good price, it's been on the market for more than a month. When we spoke to the landlords they answered all our questions and we thought it was a promising option... until they mentioned that their house is "meat free." They don't allow tenants to eat any kind of meat on their house, vegetarian only. To clarify, this is a standalone house on its own property. It's not like we'd be sharing part of a home with the landlords who live there. Obviously we won't push the issue and try to move into a house where the landlords wouldn't want us, but it made me curious if it's even legal for a landlord have that kind of requirement.

    Edit: to clarify I am absolutely not considering renting this house any more. I was more just curious if this is even legal.

    submitted by /u/mrcompositorman
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor opens my mail but I can not catch him, help?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 04:27 PM PST

    US-PA I have lived in a duplex with a shared porch for 4 years with this man. He has been a problem. My mother came over and caught him with his hand in my mailbox (bolted to the side of the duplex by my door) but she could not take a picture in time.

    I am an essential worker and he has not worked for any amount of time since I moved in. Every time I receive a package and come home from work, it is opened. I called the post office and they said the mailman delivers these un-opened. I had personal conversations with this postal carrier who said the same.

    Today, I came home from work and there was another package that was in my mailbox that had been tampered with. It was entirely opened and I am fed up. It's a Christmas gift for my child.

    I complained to my landlord and asked him if I can set up a camera. He said absolutely no drilling allowed in any walls inside or out. He would honestly destroy a camera anyway. I can't catch this guy. What should I do next?

    submitted by /u/brokenpa
    [link] [comments]

    "Sold" my brother my Honda, he has not made any moves to get it in his name (TX)

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 09:18 PM PST

    My brother is in a hard spot as a single father. He got his car repossessed due to income cutbacks with covid. I had my old Honda Accord not in use, in decent shape and offered to sell it to him. Monthly payments, etc. I should have listened to other people about NOT doing it but at the time I believed my brother was doing better and more reliable than he ever has been... Man, was I wrong. I gave him the key, signed forms, etc. on October 24th. Over a month later, he has not put it in his name, I have not seen any payments, and apparently his child's mom (she is magically back in the picture... ish) has been driving it, racking up toll bills. He went to the tax office the day before Thanksgiving and they denied registering it for him because he owes money for other things he was not aware of. At this point, I don't care about payments, I just want it out of my name so I'm not liable for anything. I was told about the Vehicle Transfer Notification form but it has to be within 30 days of the sale for it to be valid... What can I do to get this car out of my name and move on?

    Edit: Title is misleading, he tried to get it in his name, but owes money.

    submitted by /u/joue045162
    [link] [comments]

    Minnesota, USA Landlord maintenance people let another tenant's dog out, that dog came into my apartment (which maintenance people propped open) and scratched up a door and wall

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 10:16 AM PST

    Sorry this is a crazy long story but I don't know what matters and what doesn't. I am in Minnesota, just outside Minneapolis.

    The Monday before Thanksgiving my landlord was supposed to have my hot water heater replaced. They were scheduled to arrive at 11. At 8:45 I was taking one last shower (in case anything went wrong with install and I didn't have hot water for a while). The landlord's 2 maintenance workers and 2 employees from an HVAC company arrived over 2 hours early to do the install. They had stated in an email that any pets must be secured during the appointment from 11AM to 1PM; since this was over 2 hours early I hadn't yet locked my cat up and she was loose in my apartment. Based on my video doorbell footage they did not knock or ring the bell, just walked up, unlocked my door, shoved something under it to hold it open and walked away.

    Meanwhile, two others carried the new water heater into the apt building. They were supposed to go to the left door upstairs, but went to the left door downstairs. The other maintenance worker unlocked THAT door and propped it open, and while they figured out they were in the wrong place, that tenant's dog escaped. That tenant was sleeping and didn't know this was happening.

    Dog in hallway sees my cat in hallway, dog chases cat. I heard barking and opened the bathroom door in time for my cat to run in, and shut the door before the dog. The dog then proceeded to bark and scratch at my door. For the record I have been around this dog before and the dog has been in my apartment with my cat before, but is very very excitable and normally the owner has to keep her calm. After being let out and chased up stairs by strangers, the dog was very excited and crazy. But I also didn't know this was my neighbor's dog at the time - just that SOME dog was outside my bathroom door.

    I was naked in the bathroom yelling for a while but the maintenance workers were outside my apartment laughing, taking video and joking this entire time. Eventually the dog lost interest in the door and went to lay on my bed, and the maintenance workers came to the bathroom door to talk to me. When I found out the dog was from downstairs, I told them they needed to go find her owner - apparently that hadn't occurred to them. Someone went downstairs and 20 seconds later the dog's owner came to get the dog.

    All in all the dog scratched the door, door frame, trim around the door and some drywall. The scratches are not particularly deep but the landlord says the door, door frame, trim pieces and drywall will need to be completely replaced and repainted, and says it will cost $1450 coming out of my deposit ($1600). The landlord says if I want to hold someone else responsible, I will have to work it out with the dog's owner.

    I am frustrated by this because I feel like this whole thing is at least somewhat the fault of the maintenance workers -

    (1) They arrived much earlier than scheduled and didn't try to alert me in any way despite the maintenance record noting I have pets

    (2) They unlocked the WRONG door and let someone ELSE'S pet out of their apartment

    (3) They made no effort to handle the situation once it started - they didn't try to get the owner, didn't come in to talk to me, didn't try to call animal control - just stood outside my apartment laughing, taking a selfie video of some kind and joking about what was going on (I have video doorbell footage of this). I know a dog was involved here and dogs can be dangerous, but they were the ones who let the dogs out so I would've expected them to do SOMETHING more than laugh. If they had immediately alerted the dog's owner that the dog was loose, the dog's owner could've gotten the dog before it even made it to my apartment, but they made no effort.

    So my questions are -

    (A) Who is more legally responsible here? Is it actually me because my lease says I'm responsible for the condition of my unit, like my landlord says? Is it the dog's owner because the dog caused the damage? Is it the landlord / their workers who unlocked the wrong apartment and let a pet out and then didn't do anything about it?

    (B) If this shouldn't come out of my deposit, do I have any recourse in advance? I am moving to Seattle - my lease ends on the 31st, but my final walk-through is on the 28th and by the 29th I will be many states away in Seattle. From what I'm reading online I have to wait until the landlord sends me an itemized accounting of my deposit and THEN I can sue in small claims if I believe I am owed more deposit back, but at that point it will cost me as much money to take time off work, fly back to MN and stay in a hotel for the court date, at which point I might as well just forego the money altogether - which sucks. Can I do anything pre-emptively ensure the full return of my deposit if I am so entitled to it?

    submitted by /u/taterdog95
    [link] [comments]

    (20F) Help, my brother (17M) keeps opening all my private mail and I don’t know what to do about it!

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 02:20 AM PST

    Basically my brother has a very weird superiority complex. He's entitled and at times just completely horrible and impossible. Unfortunately for the time being I have no choice but to live here with my mum and my brother.

    For example: one of the things I did recently to keep the most separation I could from them was to turn my room essentially into a studio. So for a few months I saved and bought a mini fridge, mini oven, kitchen things ect ect. I went out for the weekend and when I got back he had opened all of it not knowing what it was..

    He does this constantly full well knowing what he's doing. It's creepy and just disgusting. Once he opened a return I had from a sex toy site and hid it in a cupboard.. I just happened to find it and I was horrified.

    There have been so many things I've lost count at this point but today just really took it over the line. A few days ago I ordered a sexual health testing kit, because someone I was with asked when the last time I had gotten tested. Never. So since it's online why not, woo responsible decisions. I go downstairs and guess what's thrown over the counter.

    I know he's my brother but this is insane. I can't live like this and as a person especially a woman my privacy shouldn't be disrespected like this! I wouldn't be surprised if legally there is nothing that can be done, but if there is I would like to know. Additionally if anyone has some more creative practical advise that would be very appreciated:) thank you!

    submitted by /u/FakeVirgo
    [link] [comments]

    My Neighbor Faked A Robbery And Vandlizm If They Are Found To Be Guilty Can I Sue Them For Mental Distress And Time Waisted Among Other Things

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 04:13 AM PST

    My neighbors faked a robbery and vandlizm and if they are found to be guilty do I have any legal options to sue them for my wasted time and mental stress.

    I did not want to get involved but i was given no choice by a detective. When I asked for a warrant for the videos he threatened to take my entire system which I use for work. So against my better judgement I handed over everything that I had complied

    I am black and live in a small town so they went to me first and started asking questions about my cameras. I told them to get a warrant because my neighbors are racist and wanted my help or so I thought. Their real motive was to get rid of the cameras because they could not do illegal things with them around. That being said the police looked through my garbage for spray paint and left.

    Each one of my cameras has a 128gb sd card so if anyone was in there I would have caught them. I spent over a week going through video and figured out that they were trying to trick the cameras it was very well planned out. As of now the police are still trying to figure out what happened even though I already gave them the video they demanded.

    What they had done was walk into their place instead of driving. The camera did not pick them up walking it would have picked them up going in if they were in a car. They spent two hours in their place trashing it and then left only to come back 15 minutes later in their car with a friend.

    After that they left for 3 days and came back then reported that someone vandalized the place. They even put on a show for the cameras acting like they were robbed and fake crying.

    Before I go on I need to add a little background into the next part. The place is owned by the previous neighbor that helped her friend get away with driving into my parked car with the help of the local police.

    I would not have discovered this if a deputy sheriff did not call me and inform me that they personally knew the local cop. I basically had to become a detective to gather enough information to figure out where the accident report was. I eventually got it and they did get away with it but that is where my interest in cameras began.

    Okay so now that I have explained that the neighbor that is living there now subleased the place to a friend. The old neighbor intentionally came over knowing if I saw them I would not cooperate with police because of the past issues. It worked I told the responding officer that I did not know them and left it at that.

    On the day of the "robbery" I went through all the video and found that the old neighbor took something out of the house and while the police were distracted handed it off to someone in a car. I think that was the spray paint.

    After that day I began to monitor the neighbor very closely to protect my self and using a an outdoor camera I got clear audio of someone coaching them to tell the police that I am weird and I have cameras. On that same day they had a call with family court about a custody dispute.

    There were so many moving parts I did not know what was what at first. However this is what I have deduced: The robbery/vandalize benefited both the current and previous neighbor. The previous neighbor could file an insurance claim and the current neighbor attempted to put blame on people that the other parent knew and when that did not work they tried blaming me.

    This all got me very curious about the neighbor so I did some digging and discovered that they have a criminal record a mile long. Apparently they got caught up in a drug sting a state away along with 22 other people that was at the beginning of this year and in may they broke into someones home. In 2016 they were on probation for three years.

    The amount of mental stress, paranoia, money and wasted time has me beside my self and I would like to know if I could sue them if they are found to be the ones that vandalized their own property.

    submitted by /u/CantStopPoppin
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord is an Animal Abuser

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 02:00 AM PST

    Context: I live with my landlord in his house, just renting a room from it. State of Washington.

    So I've been taking pictures and videos of the animal abuse my landlord commits.

    The most recent one, the one that got me going enough to come here, is that he's left the dog he abuses leashed out on the front porch, in Washington, in winter, at night. It's 27 degrees outside as I write this, and she's been out there for at least 4 hours. She has fine, short fur, not nearly enough to protect her from the cold, and she doesn't exactly have a lot of meat on her bones.

    Landlord has told me repeatedly that he doesn't like her and doesn't want her, and if I ever move that I can take her with me (which I plan to do if I ever find a house).

    Here's a small anecdote so you understand what kind of person my landlord is outside of the animal abuse:

    The porch outside is frozen. I put my sweatshirt on the ground out there just now so at the very least the dog has something to lay on that isn't frozen wood. I fully expect to be talked to and berated about this, possibly even threatened with eviction. That is the type of person he is, if you're capable of deducting what I mean from that.

    What are my options? I really want to help this dog, but I also have a cat and I need a place to live, especially during the winter, at the very least for the benefit of my cat. If I pursue legal recourse, he's probably going to evict me...?

    I already asked him about it earlier and he said he had "set a timer", but right now he's asleep (in the living room, where he always sleeps), so I fully expect the dog to be stuck out all night in the freezing cold. If I take her off the leash and bring her inside myself, he'll probably pursue lease termination.

    I want to help this dog, but I don't want to be homeless. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/KeyShell
    [link] [comments]

    Boss effectively nixed vacation all year. Now wants to restrict vacation approvals, won’t pay out if unable to take due to unapproval.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 04:04 AM PST

    From March through September I worked an average of 60 hour weeks (salaried, no ot). They have received 30 work days 'free' during that time.

    March-June: work from home, incredibly busy, would have been foolish to ask for time off.

    June-September: we were required to return to office at least 60/40. Verbal from boss: it's back to work time, no vacations.

    September-mid October: we were allowed to open to the public. Busy again, verbal from boss: we're open we need all hands on deck. (I'm accounting/clerical, operations, marketing and engineering would have handled opening issues)

    Mid-October: we all put in for vacation use. Boss calls a staff meeting. "I know that this is different than previous years, but your handbook says no vacation time between 11/15-1/15. I can let you take a day here and there but not full weeks. I'll allow you this year to carry over five days as a concession." Me: if we are unable to get time approved, and we are unable to carry it over, will that time be paid out? "No"

    This boss is new and started in February.

    The messy part of this all is that we are third party employees. The same vendor handles our other service-type union employee contracts. The handbook is written with respect to them and has not been enforced in respect to the office staff. Corporate Holidays, bonuses, corporate events and discounts, and hr and vacation policies have all been in line with corporate, not the third party vendor or the handbook.

    What can I do/say to get the time paid out without muddying the waters of this small-world industry? If I were to give three weeks notice, and take the last week as vacation which is already preapproved has anyone seen that work?

    New York State

    submitted by /u/tposiafpb
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment