• Breaking News

    Monday, November 16, 2020

    Legal Advice - Tonight, while I was at work, my boyfriend moved out all of his stuff and stole my two dogs.

    Legal Advice - Tonight, while I was at work, my boyfriend moved out all of his stuff and stole my two dogs.


    Tonight, while I was at work, my boyfriend moved out all of his stuff and stole my two dogs.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 06:45 AM PST

    There were no warning signs for this. He did it while I was at work thinking he was enjoying his day off. He told me he signed a lease with a coworker three weeks ago and for that entire time he continued to sleep with, kiss, cuddle, and tell me I love you. In the parking lot at my work today he showed to and break up with me. He also told me he took both our dogs and did not plan on giving them back. I'm now stuck in a half empty apartment that he knows I can't pay for on my own with my dogs gone.

    He was on the lease. He didn't give me warning or attempt to break from it. Both dogs are in both of our names. We've been taking equal care of them since we bought them. What kind of steps can I take in this situation?

    I'm in WA state.

    submitted by /u/xdollqueen
    [link] [comments]

    I was sold a car without airbags

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 04:48 PM PST

    Recently I bought a car with a clean title in Texas, it looked fine and there were no issues with it. However, when my mechanic worked on it he found out they cut the airbags off the driver side and put cardboard in the drivers wheel instead of replacing it with a new airbag. I contacted the seller and they say I can return it but at a loss as they don't want to give my money back in full. Do I take them to court or hire a lawyer? I am in shock as to why people would cut corners to make money at the risk of others' safety. I am not sure how to proceed with everything. Thanks

    submitted by /u/DjjNn
    [link] [comments]

    [PA] Customer got assaulted by a passer-by while dining outdoors at my family's bar. He wants us to pay his medical bills.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 04:05 PM PST

    My family owns a small bar in Philadelphia. When the city started allowing outdoor dining again, we set up tables on the sidewalk (with a permit) since we never had a designated area for that.

    Back in September, a customer eating at one of the tables got into an altercation with a homeless guy who was passing by, and ended up needing to go to the ER. My mom was the one running the place that day and offered to call him an ambulance, but he declined. The homeless guy booked it, and by the time the cops got there (an hour or so later...) he was long gone.

    Earlier today, we got a letter sent to the bar with a copy of the medical bills from this guy's ER visit, and he wants us to pay them. To be clear, the letter is from him personally, not a lawyer, but there were vague threats of legal action. My parents were debating going to talk to a lawyer who represented them in a lawsuit once before, but they decided to hold off unless/until things escalate. Money's tight right now, as it is for pretty much everybody.

    I do understand that it sucks to get punched in the face while you're eating lunch, but I don't see how we have any responsibility to control Philly's homeless population. Do we have any liability here?

    submitted by /u/Traditional-Cherry31
    [link] [comments]

    I am being harassed my a person claiming to be a private investigator, but in a super weird way.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 04:37 PM PST

    I posted a bit about the situation in other subs, but basically for the last year and a half I have been getting text messages from a person who claims to be a private investigator. They have A LOT of information about me, including some poor (illegal) choices I have made in the past. I know that they know, and the information is not wrong. However, I am at a loss as to why this person keeps contacting me. The weird thing is, they are mainly interested in my relationship with my husband... they are threatening to leak this information if I go through with my divorce, which I have been contemplating for a long time, but only recently took concrete steps to make happen. The other weird thing: my husband has supposedly met this man, and he often communicates through my husband e.g. telling me things, bringing up things from my past, etc. The most recent threat is that he is going to report me to CPS if we end up getting divorced. The further removed from the situation I get the more I start to think I might just have been victim to some super extreme gaslighting, but he does seem to have information he shouldn't have unless he actually was investigating me... Is this just insane? Is there any possible way this guy is real? I honestly feel like I'm living in some sort of alternate reality this shit is so wacky. Thoughts?

    Edit: This is in Iowa

    submitted by /u/reddto22
    [link] [comments]

    Can tenants physically bar me from showing my house? New York

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 01:18 PM PST

    Selling my house. I've given the tenants more than the required 24 hour notice of a showing from a buyer who has cash in hand and is supposedly ready with earnest to go. Showing is tomorrow.

    They offered me 50% of my house's value and are mad I didn't consider it. They've threatened they'll refuse to move until a sheriff physically removes them and have told my realtor they will refuse all in person showings "due to covid".

    Can the tenants physically stop us from entering the apartment? If I contact police will they assist at all?

    I reached out to eviction attorneys today but could not connect.

    submitted by /u/Severe_Screen
    [link] [comments]

    Boss says I can work from home, I do, then learn I won't get paid for my time

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 03:12 PM PST

    A couple days ago two of my coworkers tested positive for COVID. The office as a whole had permission to leave and get tested. The following morning, my supervisor gave me permission to work from home until I got my test results. Today, I learn that his supervisor is going to dock my pay despite me working from home and my supervisor's permission. Can I do anything? In IL.

    submitted by /u/effusiveelephant
    [link] [comments]

    Cops stole my friend's car Richmond, Virginia.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 01:13 PM PST

    So my friend left her car legally parked in front of her partner's apartment on Saturday at 5. At some point between then and the next day around 9am the car was taken by the police. My friend woke up needing to take her partner to the airport and had to scramble and call me to get them there. We called the local tow company that the city uses to tow people illegally parked and they said they didn't have it. When she called the police to report it stolen she was notified that they had it and it actually was at the aforementioned tow lot. They said it was taken as evidence in a hit and run investigation. She called that company back and they said, yes, they did have it. It was registered differently in their system because it was a special circumstance. The tow company also noted that the police had access to her contact info the whole time but neglected to contact her.

    For the last two days my friend has been totally unable to get any additional details from the police. We don't know if her car was stolen and used in a hit and run or if it was just sideswiped while parked. She was told to contact a specific police precinct yesterday. They didn't return any of her calls. When she called today she was told that the officer in charge of the case would contact her today which hasn't happened. Currently all she has is a case number and the officer's name and badge number. This is her only form of transportation and she has no idea why exactly it was taken. It seems like cars are side swiped all the time without the police confiscating them. She also has no idea when or if she should expect to get her car back or what state it's in. Does anyone know if she has any legal recourse here? This is happening in Richmond, Virginia.

    tldr: Cops stole my friend's car for a hit and run investigation and now aren't returning her calls

    submitted by /u/numberonetofuboy
    [link] [comments]

    One employee has a drinking problem, and my employer is making everyone take a breathalyzer every day. Is this legal? I'm a cashier in CO BTW.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 07:14 PM PST

    I don't drink, but I'm concerned about blowing in a tube after my five coworkers blow into it. I'm also concerned because I have COPD from smoking (I quit for good a few years ago!) and it's really hard for me to blow hard enough, according to the BACTRAC readout. The "You're fired" BAC level is 0.02, and although I don't drink especially not in the morning at my cashier job LOL, the girl who has/had coronavirus wants us to all crowd into the office take off our masks and blow into this tube.

    Is there any way I can stay safe and also keep my job? I'm coming up on my 6month raise and I don't want to get fired before I get my .25 cents an hour.

    submitted by /u/Sexybroth
    [link] [comments]

    [Missouri] A non‐tenant routinely dumps his old wood into our apartment dumpsters, leaving almost no room for any more garbage and raising our garbage bill as a result. What can I do to stop this and save money?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 02:25 PM PST

    Our apartment complex has two dumpsters, and a man comes by about twice a week to empty his truck bed full of old lumber into them. The dumpsters end up unable to close and other tenants' garbage accumulates on the ground around it. The garbage company charges the landlord $100 per unclosed dumpster lid and refuses to pick up regular garbage outside the bins. Naturally, the costs are passed onto the tenants.

    I have contacted the landlords with video proof, but they have not returned any calls or emails. I have contacted law enforcement (non-emergency) who tell me he isn't breaking any laws and there is nothing that can be done. I'm getting charged an extra $50 per month on my garbage bill since April because of this, and the landlord is threatening to raise it higher until the problem is under control.

    I want to know what my options are for trying to remedy this situation. An extra $50 per month is already difficult for me to pay, and I don't think I can afford any additional increase.

    submitted by /u/LiesForPlatinum
    [link] [comments]

    Is Paying for Extra Credit in Highschool Legal?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 07:57 PM PST

    Recently my school setup a charity event that will grant students extra credit in classes if they donated $5. Is this legal? It sounds so illegal to me since it creates an unnecessary paywall for increasing grades.

    The school is located in NYC. The charity event has no education value to it. It's merely game time on a Zoom meeting. I feel that this event is EXTREMELY UNETHICAL. What's so ironic about this event is that it disadvantages poor kids when it's supposed to help a charity that helps poor people!

    Unfair pay walls for extra credit on tests are not rare at this school. It seems to be ignored by the school since it's been happening for a while. The events aren't even created by the school administrators; it's created by the teachers. I would love to here peoples opinion on this!

    submitted by /u/KevTheStudyMonkey
    [link] [comments]

    My mother borrowed money from my uncle, then passed away. Five years later, he told me he expected the debt to come out of my share of the "inheritance," but I don't know if I'm obligated to pay her debt.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 01:32 PM PST

    My grandparents signed over their farm (quick deed) to their children prior to my grandfather's death in 2007, effectively making it the "inheritance" for my mother and her four brothers. My mother passed in 2015, and, as an only child, I am the next of kin. I do not believe any of the documents have been altered to reflect my name instead of hers, but it does cover that, in the event of death, the stake in the land goes to next of kin. My uncle, who is the one managing all the legal sides of this, called me recently to let me know they have decided to sell the farm, and that I would get 1/5 of the profit, less an amount of money and, apparently interest on that, which my mom borrowed from him in 2014. He sent me a copy of a fixed rate note my mother signed, saying it would be paid upon sale of the farm. However, he did not make any legal claims about her estate when it was in probate. Do I legally have to give up that chunk of money, and, if not, what are the next steps? I am in Minnesota, and the farm/rest of the family are in Wisconsin.

    submitted by /u/_derpnerys
    [link] [comments]

    Being stalked and harassed by my ex boyfriend since April 2020

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 07:13 AM PST

    Hello redditors,

    Coming to you guys since the police seem unable to do anything despite textbook stalking, cyberstalking and harassment by my ex boyfriend who I broke up with April 2020.

    List of things he has done:

    1. Attempted to break into my apartment twice while I was not home, left a spare key he must have copied from me in the doorknob

    2. Showed up at my apartment randomly numerous times

    3. Was caught by security officers at my school campus attempting to break into my car, was seen laying under my car with a black box in hand, which he ran off with when the security officer saw him

    4. Drove by my current boyfriend's house at the exact time I pulled up

    5. Showed up at a remote nature spot I was at in full face covering

    6. Due to the above events I looked for a tracking device on my car and FOUND ONE. The police currently have the tracking device

    7. Hacked approximately 15 of my accounts, attempted deletion, successfully deleted or changed passwords of a couple

    8. Cancelled my plane tickets for a future trip

    9. Disabled my car at least twice

    10. Has called approximately 50 times from a blocked number

    He owns legal and illegal guns. He is an alcoholic and drug user. His father is a known criminal and murderer. I am scared for my life of him yet the police can't do anything about it since there are no overt threats or explicit proof that it was all him. I have tried to get an injunction for stalking but was directed by my lawyer that I may be in more danger if I attempt it, or attempt it and don't get it, since historically that is when the most domestic violence occurs. I was also told that stalking cases are notoriously hard to prove. I don't understand why the police themselves cannot charge him, especially with the tracking device in their possession.

    Please direct me in the right direction as this has continued for months and has no indication of stopping, as the most recent event was last night.

    Thanks in advance.

    [Florida]

    submitted by /u/exboyfriendstalksme
    [link] [comments]

    Grandfather in hospital on vent with Covid, son is allowing people into his house against his wishes, possible illegal activity. Tennessee

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 06:35 PM PST

    (I'm on mobile, so I apologize for any issues, also this is gonna be a little long) My grandfather has been hospitalized for almost two weeks now with Covid plus double pneumonia. He is currently sedated and on a ventilator. My father has been living with him about two years now and has a girlfriend that my grandfather did not allow into the house. Ever. She is my uncle's (on my mother's side) ex wife and has stolen from my mother's family on multiple occasions and has an extensive history of drug abuse and violence. My father is also an active drug abuser and has a tendency to steal, he's stolen from me and many others. The night my grandfather was admitted my father allowed her into the house and has since said some money from the house was stolen. My aunt installed two security cameras outside the house to monitor suspicious activity. Something my grandfather requested while in the hospital before being sedated. My father is unemployed and admits to selling his prescription medication to make money. Since the cameras have been installed, there are many vehicles coming to the house with multiple people coming in and out, all hours of the night. My grandmother passed away last year and we don't think my grandfather is going to make it. I'm scared of them damaging my childhood home and stealing my grandparents belongings and selling them. My uncle is the executor of the estate (I think that's what it's called, he's supposed to be in charge) and is supposedly getting a lawyer to handle things. He's requested the girlfriend leave to no avail. This is so long and I am sorry but with everything I've said, can I not just call the police and report suspicious activity? I don't know what answers I'm looking for honestly, I just can't stand what's happening and feeling useless. TL;DR: my drug addict father and girlfriend are in my sick grandfather's home while he's unconscious in the hospital and doing things he did not consent to within his home

    submitted by /u/brefekst
    [link] [comments]

    [Maryland] Neighbor refused access to remove dying tree on property line

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 10:28 AM PST

    I have a tree on my property line that is dying and needs to be removed before it falls on its own. I've had multiple arborists come out and tell me that it needs to be removed. It does not appear to be in imminent danger of falling, but it is clearly in decline.

    I spoke to the neighbor about removing the tree and while they seemed enthusiastic about having it gone, they made it quite clear that my contractors were not allowed on their land to do the job. I've since taken another look at the tree and I'm not convinced that the trunk is wholly on my property. I believe it has grown several inches onto the neighbor's land.

    I know that generally when a tree or branch falls, cleanup is the responsibility of the person who owns the property where it fell. The exception to that is if that owner can show negligence by the person whose land the tree was on before it fell. How does that change if the tree's trunk is located on both properties? Who would be liable if the tree fell and damaged a vehicle parked on a nearby public street? What if it fell and damaged my house? What if it fell and damaged my neighbor's house? Does the percent of the trunk on either side of the property line have an impact on who is liable?

    My primary concern here is protecting my own liabilities when the tree does decide that it's tired of standing up. A secondary goal is to be able to inform the neighbor of their own liability when the tree falls, in hopes that they will change their mind and allow my contractors to just get rid of the thing before anyone is liable for damage caused by it falling down.

    submitted by /u/Rihatsu
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate set up a security camera to watch me when she’s not home (Florida)

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 09:56 PM PST

    I live in a lease-per-bed apartment in Florida. There are 4 roommates in total and 1 of the women has been repeatedly trying to get the 3 of us kicked out since the day we moved in. She has lived here for a year longer than us and has repeatedly complained about our behavior to the leasing office and tried to get us removed from the apartment although we haven't done anything to violate the lease- we just have different schedules and it annoys her that we are usually all up pretty late because we work until around midnight whereas she works early in the morning. She set up a camera in the living room without permission and it is constantly on. I feel extremely uncomfortable with it there and she won't remove it so I just cover it up when I get home. Is this breaking any laws in the state of Florida? I know there needs to be written consent to record people in areas that privacy is expected in FL, but I'm not sure if that applies in this situation. Does this sound like something that is illegal? I don't want to go to the leasing office to make a complaint if it's legal because I feel that it will just feed into her story of us being crazy and needing to be moved. I also looked in my lease and didn't see any rules about cameras

    submitted by /u/chjs1999
    [link] [comments]

    Can son-in-law force grandma out of her home (partition / life estate)?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 04:45 PM PST

    This may not qualify as "simple" but I'm hoping I just get some very basic direction here. Asking for a friend. TLDR below.

    In Oregon: my friend's multi-generation family ranch (appx 350 acres across multiple tax lots) is held in a "life estate", with 90-year-old Grandma being the life estate holder and the next generation beneficiary being her five kids, split equally 5 ways. Two of the "kids" (now in their 60's and 70's) have died, while 90-year-old Grandma is still alive and living on the ranch with one of the 3 remaining kids, who is her caretaker.

    My friend inherited a 1/5 share of the ranch from his father, who died two years ago and was one of the 5 kids.

    The other kid that died this summer was in an abusive relationship, and 6 days before she died, her partner "forced" her to get married so he could inherit her properties. Supposedly, that woman had told her sisters (the remaining 3 kids) she signed a quit claim deed to transfer her 1/5 ranch share to the sisters, but the husband's lawyer never filed it and so the husband inherited her 1/5 share. There was some kind of probate deadline that was missed, and so the sisters have accepted it.

    Now that husband demands that the family pay him a ridiculous amount of money to buy out his 1/5 share or else he will "force a partition sale" putting the land on auction and leaving Grandma and the caretaker homeless. The ranch is broke but still in Grandma's financial control, which she will not give up even though her health is deteriorating. The sisters don't have much money to offer him, but what they could scrape together, they already offered him and he turned down.

    Is that how "forcing partition" works? Can this newcomer husband/son-in-law really force this multi-generation ranch to go on the auction block and kick Grandma and her caretaker out of her home as the newcomer in this situation? Does going to partition necessitate an auction?

    The sisters have their small town lawyer advising them they don't have any choice, that they need to come up with as much money as they can or put a lien on the ranch to buy this guy out. My friend thinks it's worth getting a second opinion from a better city lawyer, or even "call this guy's bluff" and see if he actually does force a partition?

    TLDR: Can a partition proceedings kick a life estate beneficiary out of her home?

    submitted by /u/activeponybot
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor hired people to cut down trees and I don't think they know what they are doing and causing damage.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 02:29 PM PST

    My neighbor hired some people to cut down a few giant cyprus trees in-between our houses. They've been at it for the last few days and so far I have personally seen them almost take out power lines, and drop a few large branches on the neighbors roof that luckily didn't cause any visible damage. Today, they are still at it, but they just dropped a huge portion of tree onto my house, causing a portion of the fence to be ripped down and my gutter mangled. I have yet to look at my roof because I need to wait until they move their mess. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt to fix their mistake but if they don't, or cause even more damage, what are my options?

    Also, I don't think these guys are permitted or licensed. They seem like they have no clue what they are going and just going at it without thinking.

    submitted by /u/HouseFriedRice_Yum
    [link] [comments]

    Hey y’all. So I used to work for a ranch and my boss wants to sue me

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 05:44 PM PST

    As the title says, I worked for a ranch and my boss wants to sue me for supposed damages. He is claiming that in a matter of just 6 days there were more than $10k in damages, including deaths of animals and what not. Well the thing is, we raised goats, and they only go for about $300-$400 a head, and only about 9 died. If my math is correct, That's not $10k. The other thing is, we were on that specific job for nearly two weeks, not six days as he's claiming. And one more thing, he won't pay us. He owes me damn near $800 and he also owes a co worker nearly $500. That don't sound like much, but when you're stuck eating a can of beans for all three meals of the day, it's a lot. Me and my buddy have since quit, but it's been almost two weeks since we were supposed to be payed. He also was supposed to have us fill out tax forms and whatnot the day or day after we were hired, but he refused to have us fill them out until the day we quit. Basically I just need some help here. I think he's just trying to scare us by saying he'll have his lawyers contact us about the "damages" so that he doesn't have to pay us. I mean maybe it's because I'm just a young adult still and he thinks I'm stupid, but I think I have enough to win a legal battle if there is one. Thanks y'all

    submitted by /u/latterdaysinner1
    [link] [comments]

    Found 3 near identical online stores save for the business names that share the exact same physical address, phone and fax numbers (for 2 of the 3) and are all registered in the State if Idaho by the same individual. Is this a Scam of some sort?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 09:14 PM PST

    I was doing some online shopping when after a google search for a specific product I came across 2 websites selling the exact same products using identical site layouts but with different company names. Both companies had the same physical address, when I searched the address I came across a third business with another website, same layout, same products. they all share the same contact information and all 3 are registered in Idaho by the same individual.

    I'm hesitant to give out credit card details to something that seems shady. One of the companies seems to have a legitimate store front, but then why have 3 different sites running simultaneously? The physical building is shown to be a single business with and google maps confirms it is not an office complex. Is there some kind of scam or fraud that can be accomplished with this? if so who do I report it to? Or am i completely missing something?

    submitted by /u/AccountMundane8858
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone who's committed child molestation in the state of the Texas and then moved to Canada be prosecuted?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 07:58 PM PST

    My stepdaughter recently told me that she had been molested by my brother before he moved to Canada, and I don't have any idea of what steps to take.

    I'd appreciate any advice

    submitted by /u/throwaway822698
    [link] [comments]

    Crazy Roomate

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 09:29 PM PST

    Hi, I live in Georgia and I have had issues with my Roomate. She's being crazy negligent and refuses to talk to me. For one, her two cats have brought fleas into the apartment and I have suffered so many bites from them and so have my guest. She only treats it when I get upset and that if she feels like it. She also has a litter box in the living room that she does not take care of properly; it reeks when I go downstairs. I have reminded her several times about it but she does not clean it regularly. She also did not follow the apartments policy and only declawed the front two paws of her cats which have led to damages in the apartment. She also sprayed a whole can of aerosol sealant in the apartment kitchen which makes the downstairs smell terrible for days until the water heater box popped and the power went out. I was not there but she didn't call the apartment, police, or fire department at all. She waited until I got there and then just left without notification leaving me to fix it. She also has violated the apartment policy by having people stay over three days and now hides if people are in the apartment until I ask. I have constantly asked her to let me know if people are coming over but she ignores me. I've informed my apartment about these issues but they have not responded. Is there anything I can do? I feel so unsafe in my apartment right now. Her negligence has caused me physical and emotional damage.

    submitted by /u/himekino
    [link] [comments]

    [NC] Landlord sold my sister’s house to a development corporation, went from “having people look at the house” to you need to leave ASAP without any notice or paperwork.

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 01:16 PM PST

    My parents were never that well off and rented the same house for 20 some years. My mother got sick a few years ago and my sister moved in to help out my dad with caretaking. After she died, my dad moved away in spring 2019 (long story) and without signing any paperwork my sister took over rent payments. There was never a lease that she signed or anything like that.

    For the last few months, the landlord has told her that he'd be having people come and look at the property for purchase. They've had one viewing about a month ago. Today, her landlord told her that they had sold the property to a developer and she needed to leave "as soon as she could".

    Given COVID and all that, she's been pretty light on money, so it's a tough situation anyhow and she can't just go sign another lease tomorrow.

    Is there any recourse for her to take? I imagine that if he sold the property it's not his problem anymore, but I don't want to have a sheriff pull up tomorrow and kick her out since she doesn't have a signed lease or anything like that.

    Thanks for any advice y'all may have.

    submitted by /u/Roofawitz
    [link] [comments]

    Am I Paying for the Neighbor's Electricity?

    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 01:27 PM PST

    Washington State. My girlfriend and I have rented a duplex for over three years. In that time, multiple neighbors have come and gone. We share a few things with the next-door apartment: a porch, a basement, and a storage room. The basement has a very old, energy-inefficient washer and dryer. Our electricity bill is inordinately high, and our neighbors do a lot of laundry. Like five times as much as we do. There are only two fuse boxes on the outside of the house, the neighbor's, and ours. Our fuse box has the laundry room listed on it.

    Is there a way to tell if we're being charged for the shared laundry room? If so, can we recover that money from the landlord legally? How do we prove it?

    Edit: Just to clarify, this is a shared/common area. As in, it is neither my or my neighbor's unit, we merely have access to it as per the lease. So it's the landlord's responsibility to pay the electricity bill for it.

    submitted by /u/esgrove2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment