• Breaking News

    Monday, November 23, 2020

    Legal Advice - Photobook of nudes... gonzo

    Legal Advice - Photobook of nudes... gonzo


    Photobook of nudes... gonzo

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 04:20 PM PST

    Hey Folks,

    Based in Ontario, Canada.

    I had a photoshoot done of boudoir photos and they were also turned into an (allegedly) beautiful flat-lay photobook. The photographer is trusted, they have been lovely to work with and are helping me through this as best they can. The book was shipped from the printer via UPS to my condo. The UPS driver was to obtain a signature before dropping it off, since... naked photos. When I inquired when the book would arrive, the photographer gave me the UPS tracking number and it said DELIVERED. When I called UPS, they said it had been delivered. When I argued that it was not since it required a signature, they basically "not our problem"'d it and also said "Well, with COVID we're not collecting signatures."

    Ostensibly, one of my 170 neighbours in the condo now has a book of photos of me. While I'm hoping they're a handsome and rich benefactor and are now just looking for me a la Cinderella and her glass slipper, it's appearing quite likely that someone has taken it and I'm not getting it back.

    Photog has promised another book and it will be sent via Canada Post, but my rage is directed at UPS. I now don't feel comfortable in my own condo, since I'm now wondering who of these folks has seen naked B&W photos of me.

    Can I engage in legal action against UPS? How would I even do this? And... ultimately... would it even be worth it?

    Thanks,

    Naked and Afraid

    submitted by /u/ThatsAHardNon
    [link] [comments]

    Being sued for $25,000

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 11:30 PM PST

    Back on May 29th, 2020, I had a guest that booked an Airbnb that I own. It is a shared space Airbnb where there are three bedrooms and and shared bathroom and common area/kitchen space. This new user that had never booked an Airbnb before booked my place for 2 nights, the 29th and 30th (Friday and Saturday). She showed up and while I wasn't there, she called me and said she was very unhappy because she didn't know it was a shared space even though it's clearly in the title and description. I tell her she can cancel and she does. She shows back up the next day and the code for her stay hasn't been changed yet and she proceeds to call and text me saying she wants a refund. I don't reply and she enters the house. Immediately another guest there texts me and locks himself in his room as he says there is a person shouting my name and won't leave. I end up calling the cops to remove her but they won't unless I go to the magistrate. End Up getting a warrant out for trespassing as she wouldn't leave the property. Received a warrant in debt here in Virginia being sued for $25k. This was approximately a $100 reservation. Any advice? I followed the law to remove her as she wouldn't and she didn't have a valid reservation to enter the house like she did as she did cancel on Airbnb.

    submitted by /u/neilaneja
    [link] [comments]

    (AZ) Storage unit auctioned off my stuff even though I prepaid the entire contract through 2021

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:58 PM PST

    I sold my house and bought a new one that required extensive remodeling. I rented a storage unit for my high value stuff - mostly artwork, sterling silver flatware, a bunch of antiques, and several firearms (inherited from my grandfather). I'm not talking about garage sale stuff here. During the remodel, Covid hit and the work slowed way down. Add to that, my job moved me out of town to another site for 12 months. At that point I prepaid the contract with the storage unit for all 12 months and it was not scheduled to end until January 31, 2021.

    I come back to town for Thanksgiving and went to the storage unit to find out they auctioned my unit off for nonpayment and noncontact with them. It turns out one of the employees fucked up my unit with someone else's contract. They never contacted me because they were contacting someone else and that person didn't care. But my stuff is gone. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I still have homeowners if it covers it as I'm not living in my home or if it covers storage units. My agent is off all this week. The storage unit is giving me the run around. There was easily $25,000 worth of stuff there, maybe more. Right now they are telling me they are not responsible as I did not get back to them even though I prepaid for the entire year and they admitted their employee fucked up.

    I am so freaking out right now. I don't know any lawyers, and I don't know if they actually are free of all liability as the owner was saying. He said he would refund the remainder of my contract as a courtesy! WHAT???

    Please help.

    submitted by /u/storagehelpthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    My wife lied to the court about our divorce (No child support for 11 years)

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 04:11 PM PST

    My name is Sean, I have been living with my 2 sons aged 13 and 16 now.

    I have been separated for the past 11 years, and have never received a single penny from my wife.

    Only after 10 years I decided to file a divorce ( I am a dual citizen from the UK as well as the USA). For the past 11 years I have been living with my 2 sons in the UK as a single father, looking after these two guys, in which during the entirety of the time, I was not payed child support at all.

    Last year, when I filed to get my divorce from the UK, she was served the divorce papers in the US by my lawyers. Then, there was a court date set up for us. But, when I called for the court to postpone the court date (Due to me having an open heart surgery), the clerk from the court informed me, 2 weeks prior to the date, she had filed a divorce. She pretended I was missing and managed to lie to the court and get the final divorce completed.

    I have all the proof to show that she was served the papers over at least 5 months before, and was well aware of the situation. Yet, she went ahead and managed to lie to the judge and to finalize the divorce.

    I have no idea what to do with the child support and not receiving a penny or a dime from her over the 11 years and what I can do in regards to that so I can ease the stress of single handedly paying for 2 growing children on my own.

    I also need some guidance on what I can do to get my divorce with her straightened out so I am not 'missing' in the courts eyes. I have had contact with her and made contact multiple times as recent as my lawyer serving the papers. I am truly lost and am coming down to my last options..

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/DJ_Shaad
    [link] [comments]

    Friend is being sued by roofing contractor for using a different company 7 months later, after they did an emergency tarping but stopped responding to her trying to set up time for fix hole.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 12:49 PM PST

    A branch damaged her roof and made a small hole. Company A came out and did an emergency repair in May. She spent the summer randomly contacting them to ask about availability to fix the roof and the owner would text her saying he will get back to her. He finally stopped responding in September. She contacted another company at the end of October and they came out and fixed it 2 weeks later in November. 2 days before the roof was ro be fixed by company B, the secretary from company A called her to ask when she wanted them to come fix her roof. She informed them that she had to get a different company because snow was coming and company A had stopped responding. They now sent her a $2200 bill for breach of contract with $1500 being an emergency tarping and $450 dollars for and hour of work with a fee added. She and he insurance have been asking for an itemized bill, they have only sent this one since roof was tarpes in May. Average emergency tapring is $200 -$500 depending on whats needed. Any ideas on possible routes to take with this?

    submitted by /u/Colin_the_fish_guy
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] My 30F gf was fired from her job recently after she turned in a doctor’s letter stating that she cannot return to the office due to her compromised immune system. We found out he was fired along with another woman who also had a doctors note to stay home. Advice?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:28 PM PST

    For background, the CEO is a huge 5G, anti-vax, COVID-denier man who believes this is all all sham. He has been trying to get everyone back in the office since April. After several delays (and several employees getting COVID after some return), they finally made it mandatory to return to the office. My gf, who has a compromise immune system did not feel comfortable returning to work and she has been successfully working from home ever since march. her productivity has been much higher than when she was at the office and she knows that because she has access to her "statistics" that track her performance.

    When she told HR that she doesn't feel comfortable returning to work, they told her that they require a doctor's note and she must fill out an application. She got the doctor's note that stated that she could return to work in December (with the expectation that a new doctor's note could be "renewed" and re-submitted if there was no vaccine by then). She submitted the doctor's note, and the application.

    Fast forward a month or so later, they fired her. They told her she "wasn't a good fit for the company". That was it. Then, she found out the other girl that was fired was ALSO working from home, and also provided a doctor's note to stay home. So the only two employees that were fired were the ones that didn't return to the office.

    I understand TX is an "at will" state. But were they targeted because of the doctor's note? Are there not any protections for this sort of thing? The executive team and CEO, again, are HUGE right wing conspiracy theorists who think all these deaths from COVID are fake. I say that to give context because we are pretty confident she was let go because of her doctor's note based on her experience and interactions with the executive team.

    Any options?

    submitted by /u/speeduponthedamnramp
    [link] [comments]

    Inherited a Tenant who owed my Father $12,000

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 11:56 AM PST

    Title basically describes my predicament. My father passed away earlier this year, and I moved back home to settle his estate, which is still ongoing. The tenant who was/is occupying the accessory dwelling unit of the house ended up not paying my father 8 months worth of rent after a car accident he had back in mid-2019. My father didn't evict him because tenant kept promising that he'd pay him back after getting a bunch of money from a pending lawsuit.

    Well, after my father passed away, I spoke with the tenant about this issue and he claimed he did pay my father in full (plus interest), before my father left for a trip to see me in February. I mentioned that that didn't appear to be the case based on my father's email exchanges with him and what my father had told me, and he basically said my father was 'not of sound mind', which I know was false, though I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the time.

    I raised the issue again a few months later with an innocent sounding email request for documentation that he had paid my father, as well as asking for him to provide a copy of the lease agreement, if he had it. In response, the next day he showed me a copy of the lawsuit he supposedly was receiving payouts from (the amount wasn't specified, and it wasn't even clear if he had won the case) and provided zero documentation whatsoever that he had paid my dad—not even a bank withdrawal receipt (he claimed he got cash from the settlement and used some of it to pay my dad). He also didn't show me a copy of the lease agreement, but wasn't clear about whether he didn't have it or was unwilling to share it. He was fairly aggressive/defensive, but insisted that he had paid my dad, and I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt again, but the whole interaction didn't sit right with me.

    According to my father's email exchanges with the tenant, what my father told at least eight friends and relatives (including myself, his sister and his girlfriend whom he was very close with), my father's diary entries and my father's bank statements, the back rent was not paid.

    So basically, my question is this: Should I sue the tenant over this, or would it not be worth the effort?

    Edit: I didn't want to specify my location at first because I thought it'd be too much of a telltale, but at the LocationBot's request, I'll do it for now, and perhaps remove it in a few days: Hawaii.

    submitted by /u/TotesRandomUsername1
    [link] [comments]

    Rented home that included use of a garage. Landlord is now saying we won’t be able to use the garage. Is this a breach of contract?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 05:25 PM PST

    We are renting a house. In the lease, we are allowed to keep a certain number of vehicles in the garage on the property.

    Some time into this lease, the landlord has decided that he wants to use this garage for a different purpose and has asked that we prepare to remove the vehicles.

    Is this a breach of contract, and would we have the rights to then terminate the lease?

    Can provide documents and written statements via dm.

    submitted by /u/LadyBethOfHouseStark
    [link] [comments]

    Wedding Flower Bill

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 02:37 PM PST

    Hello everyone! In Missouri

    I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. My wedding was in October 2019. My mom and I planned the whole thing, and as soon as we booked a service we would pay completely up front. The flower company we worked with did not have a contract (small town), and had us meet with them 3 times to get the perfect idea of what we wanted. At each meeting I expressed that my flower budget was a max of 3,000 USD. We also asked to pay at each meeting, but understandably, the company couldn't know exact costs without having bought the flowers from survivors. At each meeting my mom also asked for an estimate of where we were at price wise. Finally at the last meeting (2 weeks before my wedding) the company said between 1500 and 2000. We were extremely happy with this and added two more small bouquets. We expected the final price to be between 2500 and 3000.

    The wedding went great, and the flowers were beautiful. When my dad returned the lanterns they had used as decorations, he also asked if he could go ahead and pay! The owner said no not to worry about it, she hadn't worked it up.

    Fast forward to a year and almost 2 months later, and we received a bill for close to 5,000 dollars. What do we do? We kept the flower bill in mind, and still have money to pay, but it doesn't feel right to have to pay so much over the estimate over a year after the event. Thanks in advance for advice.

    submitted by /u/ugh1344
    [link] [comments]

    I believe that Im subleasing a low-income apartment. Am I breaking the law by living here or is it my landlord who is committing fraud?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:11 PM PST

    Hi,

    I have been living in a subleased apartment for about 2 months now at one of those big chain apartment complexes. I know that subleasing is not allowed by the original landlord, however, my landlord apparently didn't care. She just wanted me to live here at a discounted price during the remainder of her lease, since she moved out of state and couldn't get out of her lease. I just needed somewhere to live for a few months for my job in this one city.

    I figured the worst that could happen is that the leasing office finds out that Im here and they tell her no subleasing, and then we add me to the lease as a roommate - this would circumvent the subleasing issue.

    However, when running this by my landlord, she got really paranoid and said that won't work and basically, she rambled on and on about how it's not allowed (it is allowed) which seemed kinda suspicious. Also, I told her that I had to put her name down as a reference to verify where I live, for a background check for my job (think security clearance). She lost it.

    Now, you should know that I found this on Craigslist and that I got a hell of a deal, like 2/3 the price that most people pay. I didn't really think much of it - I just assumed she needed to get out of her lease and wanted to cut her losses.

    After her paranoid freak out and looking into her history a little bit via Facebook and stuff - I think I have it figured out. I think this is prorated housing (ie subsidized housing). That's why I can't be added to the lease as a roommate, it would increase her rate. I'm thinking about bringing this up and asking her if it is.

    Now, I have one main issue:

    (1) Am I breaking the law by staying here if it is in fact subsidized housing, or is it just her who is breaking the law?

    The reason I am concerned about this is that I am under investigation for a Security Clearance and I don't want to be breaking the law or committing any kind of fraud.

    Thanks!

    Edit: State Virginia, Region NOVA

    submitted by /u/OtherCranberry3402
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate had a party during COVID. I got a citation for being in my home.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 05:13 AM PST

    This is in Delaware.

    So my roommate decided to throw a Friendsgiving. Someone in our complex called in a noise complaint and the cops came. They asked who lived there and my roommate and I went out to talk to them. We ended up getting citations for both a noise complaint and being over the limit of indoor gatherings for COVID (14 people were present).

    My issue here is that they were not my plans, they were not my friends, and I feel like I basically am getting fucked over for staying home (while my other two roommates decided to travel for Thanksgiving.) I was just there with my dog.

    Now I have a court date in January and am facing paying fines because my roommate decided to throw a party. Is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/nobodysomebodyanybdy
    [link] [comments]

    Friends father recorded private conversations

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 06:43 PM PST

    A long story but I will try to keep this as short as I can.. I'm a 32 year old female who visited her 23 year old female friend this past weekend. Haven't seen her in almost 2 years so we had a lot of catching up to do. I'm married with children and she is younger than my oldest (step) son so as much as I love her I find myself offering her a lot of advice regarding her lifestyle choices. She came to the states at 8yo and lives with her dad. Her father is a Muslim and seems to be very nosey so she does lie and hide a lot from her dad about her love life. Anyways, we didn't go out (thanks covid) , and planned to cook a meal together and watch a movie. I invited her dad to stay and join us but he insisted on leaving so we can have our girls night. We skipped the movie and just chatted. She told me everything that was going on and basically spilled a lot of tea... we had a good time and it was refreshing after not seeing anyone since March to just chill. Fast forward to today, she called me and said that her dad recorded everything and yeah, Huge fight and the whole nine yards. And asked her to move out. She was devastated and was more worried about her friendship with me. I am not mad at her, but fuming about the fact that our privacy has been violated, completely disgusted about this and am not sure how to proceed. I do not have proof other than her word. Her dad said he wanted to call me but she begged him not to (fearing our friendship) I told her that I would love to have a talk with him and see what he has to say. I swore to her that I would pretend we never had this talk and I know nothing. But also asked her to let her dad call me if that is what he wants. I haven't heard from her since, I txted her asking to share the recipe so I can cook it for my family. I have no idea how she is. (I don't believe she is hurt) but haven't heard back. This happened in Delaware, and from what I found out that wiretapping requires at least one party's consent. Obviously this was not the case. Wondering how to proceed. I feel very violated. And just wondering if there's anything I can do.

    submitted by /u/kishaffyb
    [link] [comments]

    Is "Mandatory Unpaid Time" Legal? (Wisconsin)

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 01:04 AM PST

    Wisconsin USA,

    Work for a retailer who says they have been hit hard by corona financially. They are requiring all employees to come in one day a month for mandatory unpaid inservice work. They say this is legal as the inservice work will have a training component to it, however to me it just looks like a regular 10 hour shift except unpaid. The training component has not been announced but the first inservice day for me is next week.

    Help

    submitted by /u/Entire-Possibility-4
    [link] [comments]

    MIL “terminated without cause”, later told due to restructuring. Three weeks later, her employer has posted the exact same position. (British Columbia, Canada).

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 12:02 PM PST

    She has already signed her severance package and believes she cannot take any legal action. Is that correct?

    She is 62 and this reeks of ageism to me. Can anything be done to investigate/prove this?

    She worked for a bank.

    Edit: she was not a member of a union.

    submitted by /u/EmbeeElle
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord adding tenants without warning

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 02:24 PM PST

    I am renting a room from landlord, and sharing the house with three other tenants which I was made aware of before signing the lease. Recently, three new tenants have joined the house without any introduction from the landlord or any warning. The two bathrooms and kitchen went from being shared between 5 people (the for tenants and the landlord's mother who I also wasn't made aware until I arrived was going to be living there) to 8 people. All this in the middle of Covid, which itself feels wrong because myself and my roommates are now at risk since we know nothing about these people or if they are practicing a safe and healthy lifestyle. I read the lease and there is nothing in there that explicitly says the landlord can't do what he did. Is there anything I can do as a tenant to stop this from happening?

    submitted by /u/MarkyMass
    [link] [comments]

    My mom signed a 30 year lease 17 years ago and I just discovered she still hasn’t actually begun paying towards the principle, just the interest. Is this standard? If not what can be don’t to change this?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 08:55 PM PST

    My company is lying about covid cases and contact tracing.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 02:56 PM PST

    I have substantial evidence that my company is 1. Making employees return to work before they've been medically cleared of covid, and covid-like symptoms per the policy they've put out. 2. They've been lying about contact tracing and telling people to quarantine. They have done 0 (zero) contact tracing and do not contact anyone to let them know if they've been exposed, and thereby they don't inform anyone that they ought to quarantine.

    Do I have a case if I myself were to catch covid due to their negligence?

    Location: wisconsin

    submitted by /u/Introduction_Mental
    [link] [comments]

    Landlords fiance blocking access to move out

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 09:19 AM PST

    My mother in law lives in Southern California. Her landlord died just recently and his fiancé is under investigation for homicide even though as of now its ruled as a suicide. My mother in law is terrified of this woman because everyday she is texting her and yelling at her calling her racists names and whatnot. So she found a new place to live. The problem is the private guest house she lives in is in the backyard. The entire property is surrounded by walls with only one way in and out. And that one way has a metal gate the entire width of the driveway. The landlord's fiancé is blocking the gate on both sides with two large pick up trucks, making it almost impossible for an average size person to squeeze through. She is refusing to move the trucks in order for my mother in law to move all of her furniture and belongings out. The sheriff has been out twice stating that since its private property they cannot tell her to move the trucks. Now I can jump the walls to the neighbors, but there is absolutely no way I can move her furniture. What are my options?

    submitted by /u/superb_socks
    [link] [comments]

    I suspect that this preschool is abusing children. How do I report this?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 04:48 AM PST

    This is a chain preschool. My brother works there and he comes home from work telling me what he's experiencing but he is too afraid to call CPS. I'm concerned about the children and I don't know what to do.

    • Children are being spanked by the staff and sometimes left in rooms to cry.

    • A special needs was not being watched. He ran off to the pool and got tangled up in the pool covered as he sank into the water. Another employee saved him but rather than telling the parents about this, they just changed the child's clothes and acted as if everything was normal. My brother was there for this. He said nothing. Its 40 degrees out and the pool was cold for a toddler.

    • This special needs child also accidentally almost hanged himself. Another staff caught the kid and saved him. Still no report to the parents.

    • Some children come in smelling like marijuana, with lice or with bruises and no one calls CPS.

    • None of the staff are wearing masks and neither do the kids or the parents who enter (our state doesnt have a mask mandate so maybe this doesnt matter)

    Is this incompetency or is this abuse? What are my options?

    edit: georgia

    submitted by /u/IgetitIdont
    [link] [comments]

    Currently being scammed by moving company

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 04:26 PM PST

    Hi all. On 10/04/20 I used a site called 2movers.com that appeared to take your move information and send it to companies to compete for moving quotes. I submitted my information and quickly got a lot of quotes for my move from San Diego to Tulsa. I let them trickle in a bit and got a call from a company in FL and I walked through every room on the phone with him and described everything I saw. This is the quote they sent:

    https://i.imgur.com/hpbPw2u.png

    During the call the guy was super nice and thorough, had an answer for every question, and said everything was covered in the move for this price of $1984.57. I did think this was low but then looked at all the other quotes that had come in from probably 10 different companies. They were all in line with this number! I also read many reviews from several different sources and they were really good. I ended up paying the rep $324 on 10/07 and another $324 on 11/11 as a deposit to lock in the price.

    The rep mentioned not to worry if on moving day we had more stuff than in the quote and that they would be supplying all the packing materials of we needed them, even if we packed things ourselves. He mentioned that delivery would take only 10 days. He said he'd keep me in the loop at all points in the process and let me know when the truck was en route to the house for pickup 24 hrs in advance. The pickup window we provided them was 11/17-11/19.

    Several weeks go by and I hadn't heard anything. I texted him several times with no response and finally received a text in the evening of 11/18 that the truck would be there the next morning on 11/19 between 8am and 10am in San Diego. Not 24 hrs notice. But that was okay, our stuff was in moving ready shape. The truck showed up at 9am. The crew seemed fine, if a little smelly, and the foreman asked to do a walk through of the house to confirm all the items. He said there was no way our stuff fit the quote description and would be needing to revise the contract and that the amount to be paid would change and that he'd get back to me with the numbers. He goes back to the truck and does some paperwork and calls his boss. Meanwhile, the movers had already been moving things on to the street and some stuff on to the truck. Here are the photos:

    https://i.imgur.com/nkInWJK.jpg https://i.imgur.com/APtVJuf.jpg

    He comes back to me and says the move will cost $7478.15 instead of the original $1984.57. But that was just a worst case placeholder and could come down depending on how much the truck is actually packed. I was very nervous at this point but thought maybe the price would come down a bit once all was said and done. We also had to be out of this rented home that evening and this was the only option available at this point. So I went along with it. He quickly drafted up a contract and I looked them over. This is the contract:

    https://i.imgur.com/0nJEg1z.jpg

    He assured me that the $7k number wasn't final and that it would change to be much lower once all done. He also mentioned here that there would be a 70% initial deposit now and the remaining 30% in cash upon delivery. I provided my credit card info on one of the forms for the 70% deposit. Well, they loaded up all the stuff in about 3 hours and in the middle of that he came to me and said that his bosses really don't prefer any credit cards and that we'd need to pay cash, otherwise the shipping time would be extended to 21 days or more. I said I don't have that amount of cash and had to pay credit card, I had no choice. He reluctantly said ok and walked away. When the move was all done he had me sign additional paperwork with all the inventory on it and again asked for cash. I gave the same answer. We tip them $50 each and they drove away.

    While driving my personal vehicle to our destination in Tulsa on 11/20, I receive a voicemail from the original quote company (broker) saying they can't accept credit cards and that we'd need to pay with Zelle otherwise they can't start delivery. This wasn't on the contract - it clearly stated we could pay the deposit with credit card. The following day (11/21) I receive emails from the second company (movers) saying they are going to put our stuff in storage for a fee until we pay with cash and that they will not accept credit cards. Below (they are "L" in the conversation):

    https://i.imgur.com/UZyU7RT.png

    I respond saying the contract allows for credit card payments and that we won't be paying any forms of cash until our items arrive. Then on 11/21 at night they respond with this, saying we can pick up our stuff, with no mention of extra charges:

    https://i.imgur.com/LXUR4u7.png

    Today, in the morning of 11/23, I respond saying that we would like to arrange pick up and ask for the address. They respond, mentioning they will require 50% of the total bill for services rendered. They won't release until that is paid with cash. This is nowhere in any of the contracts. I also got a text that they will be bringing in lawyers to deal with me.

    https://i.imgur.com/PC2LiuH.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/a4GbUau.png

    So that brings us to present. As you can see we're pretty stuck at the moment and in a home with no furniture or belongings. We are prepared to arrange a pick up, but not for 50% of the $7k figure. Any advice much appreciated. Sorry for the long read.

    submitted by /u/schwank_mang
    [link] [comments]

    Surprise HoA Intent to Foreclose Notice in Texas

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 08:59 PM PST

    Hello everyone. I'm really hoping my family and I can get some advice here, as this came at us so unexpectedly in Texas. A knock at the door brought us an Intent to Foreclose from our HOA. I logged into the bank and the HoA portal and verified all the dues had been paid using their automatic payment for years... so was really, really confused by what was going on.

    After calling customer service, we learned that around February 2019 we had an uncommunicated HoA violation for our broken fence gate go unpaid, and it snowballed into a mess. Even though we paid our dues each month, the late fees were adding up to $600 in September, $1000 in October, and now $1500 total.

    In Feb 2019 we had a wind storm hit our primary residence in TX and it took out part of the roof, the AC compressor and our gate and fence. Most of the neighborhood was tore up by it. We filed a claim with the insurance and in about a month and a half we were able to get everything repaired and going well again. It never occurred to me the HoA would have called in a violation.

    • My first question, is does this notice indicate a lien already exists on our house?
    • And second, if so, does this already affect our credit? I use Lifelock, Mint and Experian and they still show my wife and I having almost perfect credit. Was really hoping my over zealous use of credit monitoring would avoid these kinds of catastrophe!?!?

    Customer service was not terribly helpful. We eventually determined the system shows (and charged our account for) 3 certified mailings in March, April and May of 2019 - but we honestly can say we never received them. We DID receive certified mailings from our insurance claim at the time, and many in 2020 when a relative passed away. And obviously this one arrived. I'm just not sure where to start on that or if it would be a good investment of time.

    What really has me homicidally upset, is how this just languished for almost 2 years without any emails, phone calls or even a damn message to us via the HoA portal. They have an entire section for violations and late notices - and it is blank. The only way to even see where all of this history exists, is by drilling down into a difficult to find account settings.

    The HoA referred me to a pair of phone numbers, one for Violations and one for Delinquency. We've called, left a message and emailed, and I called Customer service back and begged them to pass along our need. But judging from Next Door it doesn't sound like anyone in our position has been able to ever speak to a human being and just ends up paying. We are running out of time and I'm scared.

    The money amount is painful. With Covid I didn't even know horrible situations like this were possible yet, but we CAN pay if that is the best course of action. I'm more distraught by how even as fastidious as I try to be about bill paying - situations like this are possible. I feel violated. And now this lien thing has me in a state of panic. It sounds like even if I pay the fee, it will eventually hit my credit report and screw up our future plans.

    • If I pay the $1500, will it really be 10 years before the eventual lien on our report goes away?
      • How significant an impact would this have on us buying a new home in a couple of years?
      • If it does end up on my credit report, could anything ever be done to remove it?
    • Given we haven't been able to reach anyone at the HoA that have the authority to discuss this (Next Door is just savage about how impossible they are to reach), is a lawyer our best option? I've reached out to a recommended firm, but it is proving slow due to Covid and it is unclear how expensive this can get.

    Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give us.

    submitted by /u/Organic_Art72
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do about consistently noisy neighbors and a management company who isn't doing anything? [CA]

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 12:17 PM PST

    Every Sunday my neighbor (we share a bedroom wall, he lives on the other side) at around 11pm is very noisy. Loud yelling, loud music. I've tried banging on the wall and yelling that I'm trying to sleep. I've called the security company and the non emergency police. They all say that they won't answer the door, and they don't hear anything from outside the apartments. They won't answer their door when their door when I come over to talk the next day either.

    Last night I banged on the wall, the guy got very upset. Started yelling at me, saying to come outside so that we could fight. I called Police and they said they can't do anything.

    I talked to my community director, she said she'll send out another noise issue notice to them. I'm starting to feel unsafe, and helpless. I've been documenting all instances. Thank you for any help.

    submitted by /u/pooka123
    [link] [comments]

    Exterminator stepped on pipe in attic and flooded our home

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 03:37 AM PST

    A few days ago we hired an exterminator company for rodents in the attic. 5 minutes into the job, we start hearing large amounts of water coming through A/C vents and ceiling lights. By the time he finally shut off the water, all the floors were soaked. Water waS accumulated in the ceiling that patches of ceiling and water-saturated insulation began falling down along with even more water. The house was a complete mess. The exterminator company had a restoration company come that same day and had the damage evaluated. It's going to take 3-4 months to restore the ceiling, floors, and walls. We were told they'd be renting out a home or apartment for us. So we were given boxes and told to pack up the ENTIRE house and that they'd take all to storage.

    Now this is my concern: This accident was obviously not our fault. However, we have spent 4 days now packing from morning till night and we're still not done. My husband will even need to take a couple days off work to finish. We are our 60s so this has all been very draining. How is it fair that we had to take so much time out of our own schedules to focus on packing? Isn't the insurance company supposed to provide packers? What can we do?

    submitted by /u/yoyome85
    [link] [comments]

    Mother received 'occupancy' of house after divorce, father wants to impose renters

    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 05:51 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    Like the titles says, my mother was granted 'occupancy'(this is what it's stated as in the div papers) of one of the homes my father owns in their divorce. This was all well and good until my father called back up stating he would be renting half of the house, regardless of my mother's consent.

    My mother is understandably distressed and currently can't afford a lawyer/attorney(barely can afford food at this point), so here we are. Just hoping on the knowledge and kindness of strangers to answer our question:

    'Can my father impose renter(s) in to the home, despite granting my mother occupancy?'

    Any advice we could receive would be immensely appreciated!

    Occupancy

    submitted by /u/RedGummiShark
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment