• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 22, 2020

    Legal Advice - Ex won't get her stuff out of storage locker in my name

    Legal Advice - Ex won't get her stuff out of storage locker in my name


    Ex won't get her stuff out of storage locker in my name

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 05:29 AM PST

    My ex and I shared a storage locker together before we split up and after we both moved out of our apartment I grabbed all of my things and she got some of hers but left a majority of her stuff. The locker is in my name and my payments but I'd like to stop of course because nothing in there is mine. She's taking too long and I've already made a payment while I didn't have anything in it. I'm worried that if I stop paying with all of her things she'll raise hell if she loses her locker. Is there some sort of official notice I can give her to relieve me of liability? we live in Pennsylvania

    Edit: thanks everyone for all the responses. I think I have all the info I need. Now I just need to get the documents together and mail em out! Edit 2: "raise" dumbass

    submitted by /u/squigglythimble
    [link] [comments]

    My property withheld in a storage space by an unknown person - Washington DC

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 10:36 AM PST

    Location: Washington, DC

    Hello, something really bizarre happened to me recently and wanted to share it with you all here. Looking to get your thoughts and advice on how to resolve the issue.

    I'm a DC resident and recently stored my belongings in a storage facility in DC for a couple of weeks. As I emptied my storage unit, I realized that there were a bunch of things missing - items of very high sentimental value. After reviewing the CCTV footage at the storage facility I saw that while moving into the storage, a mover for another customer at the storage facility, also moving in, grabbed our cart with a whole bunch of boxes and stored it into the other customer's storage unit.

    The storage facility won't give me the contact info of the other customer for legal reasons. They however reached out to the other customer, but for some reason this customer is not returning any calls and is pretty much withholding our possessions for over a month now. The storage facility has made several calls, sent emails and text messages but the other customer has not responded in over a month. Storage facility is now refusing to make further contact with the customer fearing a harassment lawsuit from them.

    I filed a police case but the cops said that since there is no intent in taking our things, this is not a theft and they can't do anything. My only option now is the legal route.

    One suggestion on the table to file a lawsuit in the small claims court and include the storage company and the other (unknown) customer as defendants.

    1. Will this be enough to get the storage company to open the storage unit for me to take my things out?
    2. Do I have to first send a demand letter to the storage company before I file a small claims case?
    3. The storage company has all the CCTV footage, call logs to the other customer etc. If I include them as defendants, does that jeopardize my case? Is there any other way to get them included in the lawsuit?
    4. Ideal outcome for me would be for the storage company to just open the storage unit and I take my things out - going after the customer will be too painful considering how unresponsive they have been. Is there any other option that would make this possible?

    Thank you for taking the time to read this!

    submitted by /u/luki40
    [link] [comments]

    Parent of sexually abused child

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:20 PM PST

    In OK. Very strong verbal evidence from my minor child (under age of 6) that she has been sexually abused by a teenager (under 18).

    Filed report. She was shy during forensic interview and didn't offer any usable info to police. Suspect would not confess and parents refused to let him take lie detector. Suspect and parents are family to us.

    Investigation is stalling. Child is showing behaviors consistent with having been abused, so we are handling that.

    I'm not willing to let him get away with this. He got away with it 2 years prior with another child. Parents are sweeping it under the rug again. All parties involved have generally acknowledged that he did it (cops, his parents, us). The details were just too many and too specific.

    Do I need a lawyer? Private investigator?

    If I tell others that need to know, could it be regarded as slander? How would I phrase it to avoid that?

    How long do these cases take to play out? How do I help? It's been months.

    I want him to take lie detector test but parents are protecting him. Can a minor be made to? I realize it isn't admissible, but just to get the little monster to talk openly.

    Edit: I didn't know about teenagers history until one of his parents blurted it out to a cop investigating this. I obviously wouldn't have let the kid anywhere near mine, and I'm beyond pissed that his parents didn't disclose it.

    submitted by /u/rtguchdiwnx
    [link] [comments]

    My co parent is abusing his girlfriend [Nevada]

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 09:44 AM PST

    Hey everyone, thank you in advance to anyone who can answer.

    My ex, who I share 50/50 custody with, has been arrested for DV with strangulation. I communicated with his gf, who he resided with, and she informed me that he has been physically abusive for some time. I believe her.

    He was bailed out of jail yesterday and has an upcoming trial.

    He is asking for time with his son, I dont believe it's safe and I worry he may attempt to kidnap our child. Do I have any legal grounds to keep him away?

    I have also filed a motion for modification requesting sole custody on the grounds that he has continued a pattern of abuse(charged with DV against 5 different women, only convicted once) and continually is arrested for various crimes, making him unlikely to provide a stable home.

    He did time in jail for pimping last year as well as a weapons charge. However, the pimping charge was dismissed. This is also a pattern, as he continually commits crimes and then is never convicted of them, making me feel like I cant prove that he is actually doing these things.(he is)

    This might sound obvious but I've already lost against him once and he has always been abusive and a criminal. Do I have any chance of actually winning full custody in Nevada?

    submitted by /u/milkvamp
    [link] [comments]

    Mother with primary custody claims she is "home schooling" child (7). What can the father with partial custody do?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 06:32 PM PST

    INDIANA - My boyfriend and I are both in our 30s and have lived together in the house I own since I found out I was pregnant in August. He has two sons from his previous marriage, 7 & 4 (5 soon), who are with their mother during the week and we have them Friday night through Sunday before dinner. This was the arrangement ordered by the court during their divorce and he pays child support weekly. Additionally, he buys them anything they need, such as a tablet for virtual school, winter coats, shoes, clothes, etc.

    The mother typically does not work and lives in a smaller house with her dad, brother, boyfriend, and their baby born this past March. She has gotten a car and a job in recent months, but we're not sure if it is full time, just that it is tip-based. The children have on multiple occasions stated that their house is messy/dirty. The youngest has said that he gets bit by bugs and the oldest recently had a bad spider bite that his mother took him to the ER for.

    Since September I have been asking the oldest about school and he has always told me he is not in school "because of the virus." I recognize that attending school virtually may not feel like going to school at his age, so I always ask other questions about if he does things on his tablet, has homework, projects, videos, if he has a new teacher this year. He consistently answers no to everything. My boyfriend has been giving the benefit of the doubt that his son is confused by the questions, or something else.

    After the mother recently complained about not receiving money for school supplies, we talked to him again and asked everything we could possibly think of and he consistently said there is no school going on "because of the virus." He said he did do some worksheets but hasn't in a while. My boyfriend asked him about the specific supplies that he was asked to get for a project and his son told him he saw a video once showing that science experiment and he's been wanting to try it.

    With that, my boyfriend was finally convinced and texted the mother about whether he is in school and she ultimately admitted that she had "recently started home schooling" both boys. She is extremely volatile, so this admission came with a huge amount of accusations and deflection. He told her that they need to be enrolled in a school by the time kids go back in January or they would take the issue in front of a judge.

    The situation feels wrong on principle, but we want to know if there is legal precedent for him to prevent her from "home schooling" them. How far can this be taken? My boyfriend fought hard for primary custody during the divorce, but is now in an even better financial & living situation. His oldest son is extremely behind for his age. He cannot read, he can only write his name, and he should be getting significant intervention from trained educators. I've bought workbooks and first-readers to try and help supplement his learning on letters & phonics. Both boys have strong speech impediments and should receive speech therapy.

    Their mother does not appear to write at a high-school level in text messages, based on spelling, grammar, homophones, etc. She is also taking care of an infant and working, so it is hard to imagine how much time is spent on their education. Before all of this, we were already very concerned about their living conditions.

    Realistically, what are the chances this can change custody or, at least, help get them back in school and getting the resources they need? What can be done to ensure they are living in a suitable environment, if not with us?

    Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

    submitted by /u/_kgb3_
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord filed an appeal on the case I won against her.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 05:09 PM PST

    I had taken my landlord to small claims court and won the case against her, as I knew I would. I received the letter of judgment awarded on October 16th and was told to contact her to receive said judgment within 30 days of the date of contact. Fast forward to a few days ago, I received a letter of appeal. Now, I almost knew this was going to happen because this woman is senile. But there are a few questions that I have and haven't been able to find an exact answer to. I also won't be in contact with anybody from legal aid until Friday which seems excessive but, what can I do? Not only did this woman keep my security deposit from me after being a near perfect tenant for 4 years, she's more than likely doing this because it's the Holidays and she knows it's hurting my family.

    My first question is how long does she have to appeal the case from the date of the judgment. I read in a few places that it was 30 days. This would automatically make her appeal invalid because it was filed on day 31. What do I do if that's the case?

    My second question is does she still have to send the judgment to me regardless of appeal or not? It was supposed to be received by today. One of the same websites that I read about the 30 days I also read that she still has to pay the judgment while waiting the results of the appeal. Whether it's paid to me or it's held by the court itself. Neither of which she has done.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am in New York by the way.

    submitted by /u/hello_mew
    [link] [comments]

    Should I put my child’s name on a restraining order against my mom if I don’t want my mom to find out about my child?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 11:01 AM PST

    Alabama

    I (24F) have not lived with my mother since I was 18. I have endured years of abuse from her and finally decided to go no contact with her in early 2019. While I have not been in contact with her, she still attempted to contact me and harass my spouse and me.

    I filed for a protection order last week and it was granted the next day. I'm just waiting for her to be served with the protection order. I'm 9 months pregnant and my mother knows absolutely nothing about my pregnancy. She has no idea I'm even about to have a child.

    I know I can't hide a child from someone forever and that it's only a matter of time before she finds out. She's blocked on all of my social media accounts but she's bound to find out eventually. I currently only have a temporary restraining order. My court date is in February to be granted a long term restraining order. I will have definitely had the baby by that time.

    My question is: should I put my daughter's name on the restraining order as well even if the restraining order also states that everyone in my household is protected? I don't want my mom finding out about my daughter for as long as possible. I don't want my mom knowing my daughter's name either if possible even when she does find out that I had a baby. My main issue is that I don't want my mother stealing photos of my daughter and posting them on her social media or mentioning my daughter's name on social media acting as if she is an A+ grandma (because that's absolutely something she would do). Or should I just put my daughter's name on the restraining order to ensure that she is fully protected? I want my daughter to have the best legal protection from my mother.

    submitted by /u/thekittyztittiez
    [link] [comments]

    Nurses forced to work “off the books” if COVID positive and asymptomatic?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 08:57 AM PST

    I did not see anything of this nature in the COVID FAQ. If I missed it, I am sorry, please remove the post.

    My mother in law is a nurse at a retirement community in northeast Ohio. With regular staffing, she is usually in charge of an entire floor or half a floor, depending on daytime or overnight.

    Multiple residents and nurses have recently tested positive for COVID. My mother in law has been showing symptoms since this past week.

    *important point, all testing and reporting of results for her facility are coordinated through that facility and management. There are suspicions that management has been withholding or delaying positive results due to staff shortages.

    She had two rapid tests this week, which came back negative, however, whatever rapid test they are using is known to give false positives early in the infection period. She took a longer test, and was supposed to receive results by Thursday or Friday. She has still not been given results by management. (Sunday)

    *Today, management gave all the nurses a face to face meeting where they stated that nurses without a positive test, regardless of symptoms, are still required to report for their shifts, and confirmed positive nurses who exhibit mild or no symptoms are to report for their shift but not clock in or out.

    What sort of legal action can/should she be considering?

    My wife and I are pretty sure we want to report this to the local need outlets, as well. Wondering if that is a bad idea or not.

    Thank you in advance for anyone able to provide advice.

    submitted by /u/AdvThrowaway11-22
    [link] [comments]

    How can I protect myself and my family from my ex-friend who murdered someone (UK)

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 06:00 PM PST

    Backstory When I was 16 my best friend murdered someone and was sentenced to life with minimum of 5 years. She could be released in just over a year. While we were friends she told me how she would torture and kill myself and some of my relatives. She was never named as she was a minor so I'm assuming she will be given a new identity and be living in another city. I gave evidence in court the same year and after that had absolutely no contact with anyone from court or witness protection or police or anything. I also didn't receive psychological help and have been left with PTSD (now in therapy) which is making me even more afraid of her being released.

    I know she won't be released unless she is not a threat to society but I'm still terrified she tries to contact me or find me.

    I was going to change my name but she will probably still find me using certain family members names. I would like to file some kind of restraining order but I have no idea how to do this or if I have the right to do so. She followed me to one of my relatives houses while we were friends too. I don't think there is anything I can do about that.

    What are my rights here? What can I do to protect myself and family from her. I don't want her to be able to contact any of us or find any of us. What am I allowed to know about her (eg when she is released or where she will be)

    submitted by /u/hnr-2000
    [link] [comments]

    Got a Unemployment Insurance Finding letter - I didn't file - so it's fraud (Illinois)

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:36 PM PST

    Hi - I received a Unemployment Insurance Finding letter, it looks like the maximum benefit is $0.00 and I got the debit card (which I obviously won't use) in the mail, so the fraudsters are likely getting nothing.

    Googling/asking around led me to discover that there's a lot of this type of fraud going around since COVID-19 rule changes/bailouts/etc.

    The name on the letter isn't actually my legal name - though it is a name that I use (the first name is English version of my Polish legal first name).

    I tried calling the number but was on hold forever, I filled out the online form pertaining to the fraud.

    Any advice?

    More specific questions - what would the fraudsters need to know about me to file? Does this mean that they have my social security number?

    thanks!

    submitted by /u/Peaceasarus
    [link] [comments]

    Nightmare neighbors

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 05:22 PM PST

    So for context I live in an apartment complex in TX. Since the first day we moved in our upstairs neighbors have hated us and harassed us. We've reported everything to the front office and nothing has happened. They wont do anything without 3 police reports but I'm not even sure what qualifies a call. We've called the cops once because they had a 30+ person party that went from 8pm-6am. They've thrown beer bottles/copious amounts of broken glass on our porch. Their dog used to run around off leash and charge at us and our dogs and tried to come inside. As well as pissed on our doormat(and once pissed on his owners doormat which trickled through the balcony floorboards and drained right in front of our door which created an unsavory mess) and has chewed up our belongings. We keep plants outside and multiple times our tools have been stolen. They throw things at our windows at night. They throw trash all over our porch. Recently(the last week or two) they've started throwing firecrackers at our porch all hours through the night which TERRIFIES our dogs. And I mean one of them is so bad we've had to medicate her so she doesn't hurt herself or pass out from hyperventilating. The first few times they did it I didn't realize what was happening and I would open the door to see what it was and it'd be silent until the door closed. And that's when it became obvious they were fucking with us. They've even wrote "MS13" all over my car in dirt. Nothing to actually damage the paint but being that I'm a small female living in an area with extreme sex trafficking issues it's a bit scary to see that written on only my car. Our front office also told us they reported us for "being satanists" because we had a Ouija board welcome mat for Halloween. We actually are satanists but it's not their business nor do we do anything remotely destructive, or shove our religion in their face. We mind our business. This place and these neighbors have become a NIGHTMARE and I just need to know if there's anything I can do, or if anything mentioned constitutes calling the cops. I absolutely hate calling the cops but I'd rather live in a safe and civil environment without neighbors that harass me on a daily basis. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Killaemmy
    [link] [comments]

    During a warrantless search of a vehicle, can police forecfully open a locked toolbox, and then open a container used for medical equipment (DEA regulated MMT)?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:11 AM PST

    An associate of mine was recently involved in a traffic stop because he made an illegal U-turn. Because of his prior and current legal issues the officers determined that they should perform a warrantless search of the vehicle.

    He had a locked tool box in the bed of the truck, not accessible from inside the vehicle. The key was not with him at the time. The officers opened the tool box forcefully but without damaging it. Inside the tool box was a small lock box that he is required to use in order to hold methadone for a MMT program. The box is clearly marked from the outside, it has his patient information and safety information clearly visible on the outside. The police used his key to open the container and found a syringe with led to his arrest and a probation violation.

    I know that Indiana courts have determined that is is legal for police to open locked containers that are inside the vehicle (like a glove box).

    My question is, is it legal for them to open a locked container outside of the vehicle, and is it legal for them to open a container containing methadone which tampering with the box is heavily regulated by the DEA.

    submitted by /u/throwedsince93
    [link] [comments]

    Rentors won't pay rent and can't be evicted during Covid

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:09 PM PST

    Location: Surbuban Cook County, IL

    Hi /r/legaladvice , I'm looking for any advice on behalf of my in-laws. They rented out their townhome in March of 2019 for 2 years to a family that quickly fell behind on rent. Their failing to pay occurred far before Covid started, with long stories about some relative or another being sick or dying, even telling my father in law to come to pick up rent and suddenly saying something has come up. Complicating matters, my in-laws are not native english speakers and have trouble communicating with the tenants. My in-laws probably should have taken eviction action long ago, but they now can't as there has been a moratorium on evictions. The family is 11k behind on rent and my in-laws are struggling to pay their mortgage, they have nothing to fall back on and they had to shut down their business.

    As the lease is up in March, they are afraid the tenants will move out and we will lose all contact and have no way to serve them to court when everything covid is over. What are their options?

    submitted by /u/XCrunner321
    [link] [comments]

    i got hit by a car (as a pedestrian) in new jersey..am i going to have to pay my medical bills lol?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:44 PM PST

    Ok so Thursday the 12th I got hit by a car down the street from my house. I was on one side of the street with a parking lot in the middle of the other side of the street. I saw a car pulling up, I waited to see what he was going to do, we made eye contact, he gestured for me to go, then hit me and ran over my right leg. The injuries sustained were a contact fractures of the tibia and fibula. The police were called and there were 2 witnesses. Driver and I are both insured. I had external shit sticking out of my legs until monday the 16th when they inserted the rods into me. They wanted to keep an eye on me for a few days after the surgery, so it was a total of 8 days in the hopsital. I am working with a lawyer (my dad has been mostly communicating with him on my behalf), and i'm really wondering how much money I could possibly get out of this...nobody is willing to give me even a ballpark estimate at this point. It is definitely worth noting that this happened in new jersey which is apparently a no fault state, so it seems like I will be partially responsible for some of my hospital bills which is obviously very concerning given how much two surgeries over the span of 8 days in the hospital could cost. Is me having to pay inevitable? If so, about how much would it be? I am also an insured driver. I do also have NJ Family Care health insurance...do health insurance companies of the victim often cover the remaining balance left of what the perpetrator's car insurance doesn't pay? I hope this makes sense.

    Any insight anyone might have would be seriously appreciated, since finding out I might be partially responsible for some of the medical bills, I have grown really concerned lol.

    submitted by /u/lkjgfasfshsd
    [link] [comments]

    Petsmart grooming contract

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 05:21 PM PST

    I've been with this company for 2 years. I was a bather for about 8 months and went to their academy last October. I signed a two year contract with them saying I wouldn't leave or would have to pay for all my learning/tools. The thing is the store manager is an absolute vile human being. I told her I do not feel comfortable enough to SAFELY do more than 6 dogs a day. She upped the amount of dogs I do. Now I have to rush out all of these dogs and do an hour extra cleaning all in my eight hour shift. She has put me on closing shifts EVERY SINGLE DAY. I leave late because my dogs booked at 5/5:30 take around 3 hours to do and we close at 8. I cannot be overbooked and do all this extra cleaning and not get overtime. Every other salon leader we've had has stepped down due to her poor management. We have had 3 people quit the same day because of this woman. She has been investigated by corporate yet nothing has changed. How do I go about putting in my two weeks notice? Do you think they will sue me for the remainder of my contract? I hear it is very rare and generally they will not take legal action if you have valid reasoning on why you are leaving. This job is interfering with my everyday life, I literally have nightmares about her. I can't do it any more.

    submitted by /u/frogbbyyyy
    [link] [comments]

    I received an injury settlement as a minor

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 03:29 AM PST

    When my brother and I were kids we were in a bad car accident. We both received settlements from the insurance company for injuries we received. My father who had legal custody was told by the judge to invest that money and have it be made payable to us when we were adults. Instead he used it for a down payment on a house. My brother and I lived with our grandparents, but our father was technically our custodial parent. The house was for our father, stepmother, stepbrother, and half-sister to live in. Our stepbrother passed away. Our half-sister, who is the only child of our father and step-mother and our stepmother's only living child, is grown and on her own. My brother and I do well for ourselves. Yesterday I was told that my father's property and home will be given to our half-sister's child in his will. This happened 25 years ago, I was a kid, I didn't know the money was gone until I asked about it to help pay for college.

    submitted by /u/Distinct-Distance323
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal for an employer to withhold an employee's last paycheck?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 09:48 AM PST

    In this case, the employer's argument is that the employee left work undone upon exiting the company, and therefore his pay is covering the cost of finishing that work. The cursory research I did told me that withholding a paycheck is only legal when its for uniform costs, or due to material destruction of property.. thoughts?

    Edit: This took place in Nashville, TN.

    submitted by /u/AFCrookie
    [link] [comments]

    Put an expensive guitar up for consignment at a music shop. After not hearing from them for a while I went in to check on it, and it turns out they did sell it — they just didn’t tell me. Now they won’t pay me, and keep ghosting me.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 09:38 AM PST

    About two years ago, I brought a $2000-3000 guitar to a fairly well-known small music shop in NYC to try and sell it. Since I didn't need the money immediately, I agreed to do a consignment with them, since it meant I'd get a 75% cut when the instrument sold instead of getting a 60% cut on the spot.

    Fast forward a couple years (to around August this year), and I still hadn't heard anything from them. I had someone else willing to buy it, so I decided to return to the store in person and get my guitar back. But when I got there, I learned that they did in fact sell the guitar — they just never informed me about it. So I asked for my payment, but since the manager wasn't there at the time, the clerk sent them an email instead, telling me that they'd get in touch with me about payment details.

    That never happened. So I emailed them, and got no response. After sending a few more emails that they kept ghosting, I called them — this time the manager was on the line. We talked about payment, and he made it seem like he was sending me a PayPal as we spoke, saying it "should go through in 2-3 business days".

    That never happened either, so I kept emailing, and kept getting no response. Every time I've called, it's usually just been the same clerk, who'd tell me they'd "send a word out" to their manager, and it ends there. My life has been incredibly busy the last couple months so I haven't checked in on them in a bit, but I haven't given up. I just don't know what to do. I imagine it certainly isn't worth the legal fees to bring it to court, since that alone would probably cost more than the money they owe me, especially as a broke grad student with zero expendable income. I don't live in NY state or have a car, so going to the shop in-person is difficult. I also have zero legal experience or knowledge at all, so I really don't know how this should be approached.

    TL;DR a music shop pocketed a couple thousand dollars from me and is now ignoring me. I can't afford a lawyer, but I also can't afford to lose that money. Not sure what to do.

    submitted by /u/G-Quadruplex
    [link] [comments]

    Pharmacy HIPAA violation?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 09:13 PM PST

    (Massachusetts) This is my first time posting here, and I'm really hoping someone can help me. Here's the situation: My birth control prescription was up for a refill yesterday at the pharmacy that my whole family uses. For various reasons, my parents are not aware that I am on birth control, and I have taken great care to keep it that way. My mom went to pick up a prescription for my dad, and the pharmacy tech asked if she wanted to pick mine up too. My mom asked what medication it was and they told her it was birth control. I never consented to my information being shared, and I am shocked at the lack of professionalism. I work in healthcare, so I know the consequences of violating HIPAA, but I'm not sure if it's the same for pharmacies. Would it be appropriate to file a HIPAA complaint? Or should I just move on?

    submitted by /u/bekahphilip
    [link] [comments]

    I got push out of a start up before my shares vested.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 03:50 PM PST

    Just for context The company is in New Mexico. For the past 6 months I have been working at a startup doing software development. The contract I have with the company was for shares. Vesting over 4 years, and the for 25% of the shares vested after one year. I did not have a w-2 or 1099 with the company. I build the initial release of the company's platform and right before the company is about to get a new round of funding the ceo terminated our relationship. So I walk away without anything. 6 months of work gone, and no payment for any work I have done. No severance, and no shares.

    I am wondering if there is anything I can do. I know there is probably a lot of nuance in cases like this, and probably depends on the contract that I had in place. It just doesn't seem possible that this company can get 6 months of work from me and I walk away with nothing.

    Anything that could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/willfarm
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord won't fix toilet and won't speak to me

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:23 PM PST

    I'm in TX, for what that's worth

    Back in early October, my toilet tank cracked around the flush handle and started leaking. I noticed quickly enough that no damage was caused, but now I can't use my toilet because the water will leak out of the tank into the bathroom. I emailed my property manager (not landlord- i don't have his contact info anyway), and he replied saying he'd send someone to look at it in a week. He did, and the toilet guy said it would probably have to be replaced. I then called him a week later to ask for an update, and the property manager told me that it would be at least another week and that I would have to pay for half of it. I asked him why I would have to pay for half and he said it's because I broke it, which I made clear that I did not. He said I did and that I would have to pay for half and that was final then hung up. I emailed him twice since then to asked for updates, and he not replied. I have also called him and left messages asking him to call me back, and he has not contacted me at all since that last phone call. It has now been 7 weeks since the toilet cracked, and almost a month since he's talked to me at all. What options do I have- should I withhold rent? Do I need to sue him to get the toilet fixed? Since I can't prove that I didn't break it, would I have to pay for it myself? Would it be a bad idea to try to contact the actual landlord? Any advice is appreciated

    Edit: I live with a roommate as well with a joint lease (we don't share the bathroom), so I'd prefer not to involve him by withholding rent, but if that's my best option I guess I'd be willing to do it

    submitted by /u/pHDole
    [link] [comments]

    Probate process and questions.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 08:21 PM PST

    Intestate case based in Louisiana. My father passed in this year. My sister and I are inheriting money from his mother who also passed. He had no will. My sister and I agreed to have his sister be administrator since we are both not In Louisiana. The lawyer told me they are in the process of his succession. He said they're looking for debts from the past 10 years. His sister (the administrator) told us she wants to claim 20 years of debts she thinks he owes (rent, money borrowed).
    I'm not sure how much. She said "a few thousand". She said if my sister and I don't agree to the 20 years, she'll fight us in court.

    Is she just trying to bully us? How is the rest of this going to play out? Does she have to submit those debts to the lawyer who's handling the succession? Can they throw out her claims? Statue of contracts for debts in Louisiana is 10 years. Also. I think "money owed" has a 3 years statute. My sister and I are worried. But at the same time if she tried to take us to court, what are the chances of a judge signing off on her claim?

    submitted by /u/Pegasaurus8
    [link] [comments]

    Recently had surgery, but Hospital may not have gotten a Pre-Authorization from Insurance company

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 08:19 PM PST

    Location: Virginia, Fairfax County

    Hello - appreciate any insight and feedback from people that have experienced an issue like this.

    I had surgery earlier this year, and went out of network. Prior to going out of network I spoke with my insurance company with the providers finance team on a 3-way call, to determine my out of pocket costs after insurance coverage. I got a written letter from them stating that my out of pocket costs would not exceed $4000.00. I agreed to it. Do note, the decision to do the surgery happened less than 24 hours after seeing the MRI results.

    After confirming the costs with provider and the insurance, I confirmed my appointment the following morning. It was apparent the hospital that the surgeon uses, did not have all my information on file. Anyway they figured it all out. I had the surgery and all is well.

    SUMMARY:

    Turns out the Hospital has its own charges, which is separate from the provider. The hospital billed my insurance company, and the insurance company is essentially telling the hospital, you never got a "pre-authorization from us to perform this surgery." If the hospital can prove they had pre-authorization, then they will be fine. However, if the hospital doesn't, then my insurance company will deny the claim.

    I anticipate after going through the process of multiple appeals and denials, the hospital will bill me. The amount they are seeking from the insurance company is $47,000 and I am seeing a bill of $8000 from the hospital. For what its worth, I have 100% coverage after my $1000 deductible is met.

    Do I have a case to lawyer up? Its principal too!

    Kindly

    submitted by /u/ibabli1
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking Advice for Domestic Abuse Victims?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:02 PM PST

    So I started dating my boyfriend back in January, and we live in California. One thing I noticed almost immediately is that his mother is going through domestic abuse from his father, and and from what I know it has been going on for years. She wants to leave him but she is, of course, afraid. Not only for her physical and mental safety, but also in that she might lose 50% of her assets to him, when career-wise he has retired from the post office for the last 10 years and she has been a attorney. Her story is actually pretty inspiring, in she came from a very poor family, ended up putting herself through NYU and has become a very successful and one of the top laywers in her field. and this was back in the 60's, when it was really hard to be ANYTHING as a woman.

    We have records of texts that he sends to my boyfriend, 90% of which are abusive, as well as reports that he sends texts and messages to my mother in the same fashion. In addition, his dad was convicted for ADW towards his son with a knife some ~13 years ago as well.

    He started escalating today after he sent a text to my boyfriend attempting to get him angry, and I took the phone and responded instead (I asked and he very much gave me permission ) after which I was sent a long paragraph of text at the end of which warning me to "Tread softly, my dear." When I heard that, knowing how unpredictable he is and the fact that he attacked my boyfriend with a knife, makes me feel unsafe.

    I'd like to ask for advice not only on what we should be doing in the short term, as far as whether we should report this threat now; but also on what strategy we should pursue as far as his mom and dad being able to separate without him taking 50% of their total assets, 90% of which he hasn't earned?

    submitted by /u/Nadramia
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment