• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 4, 2020

    Legal Advice - Found two dogs, rehome one after two weeks and a half weeks of no response from the owner, "owner" contacts with no proof of ownership, now the police are involved?

    Legal Advice - Found two dogs, rehome one after two weeks and a half weeks of no response from the owner, "owner" contacts with no proof of ownership, now the police are involved?


    Found two dogs, rehome one after two weeks and a half weeks of no response from the owner, "owner" contacts with no proof of ownership, now the police are involved?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    Hi everyone. This is my first time posting to reddit, but I have a situation and I need to know what to do or if I'm in the wrong.

    I live in Arkansas. On Sep. 9th I found two dogs in the middle of a 700 acre recreation area while doing work for my thesis. There were no homes close to the dogs. The dogs both had collars, but there were no ID tags or tattoos on the dogs. The dogs were covered in ticks and had several cuts on their body and were bleeding, but they seemed a decent weight. I found them at 7-8am in the morning. The shelters were closed until 10am, and I had a class to get to at 9. I tried to drop them off with a vet close to where I found them, but the vet said they did not take stray animals. I took them home, went to my class, and got them scanned by a vet for microchips. They did not have microchips. I posted them to craigslist, the state lost and found network, and some lost and found facebook groups. Two days in, after giving them several baths because they were covered hundreds of thousands of ticks, I bought them each a seresto collar. Three days in, I took them to the vet because they were pooping worms and leaving worms all over my house. I got them heartwarming tests, normal worm tested, and rabies vaccinated. I paid the vet fee myself.

    By two weeks in, I start looking for new homes because I have heard nothing from the owner. I hear nothing from the owner for two and a half weeks. On Sep. 26th, I rehome one of the dogs to a close friend. On Sept. 27th in the early morning, she takes the dog to the vet and gets the dog vaccinated and microchipped in her name.

    On Sept. 27th in the afternoon, I got a notification from craigstlist saying that the dogs were her father's. I message her and tell her to contact me ASAP because I had rehomed one of the dogs already and we need to get this figured out. I chat with her owner text and ask for proof of ownership in the form of a picture or vet records. She says that she does not think the owner has either. I get a call from the owner, saying that they were his dogs. The owner says that everyone knows those are his dogs around where he lives, and he did live close to where I found the dogs. He successfully describes the dogs and their collars that they were wearing. He says he has all their siblings and parents. I ask for proof of ownership in the form of pictures. He says that he doesn't know if he has those or not. I ask for proof of ownership in the form of vet records. He says he's never taken them to the vet (dogs are around a year old, according to him). I tell him to look and see if he has pictures of the dogs and send them to me. He sends me pictures of a group of dogs that are the same breed, but none of them are the dogs I currently have. He says they are and that I have stolen his dogs. I tell him I need proof of ownership (I have screenshots of all of these interactions). He tells me that he will get the sheriff involved.

    I'm panicking at this point, because I don't know what to do. I call the vet and they say that if they don't have microchips, then there is not much he can do. I call the city north of mine's animal control (because mine is closed) and they say that they only hold dogs for 5 days, and that is sounded like a neglectful situation, and that I was doing everything right, but call my county's animal control on Monday.

    At 8-9pm at night, I get a call from the sheriff. He says that the owner had called him and that he needs my side of the story for his records. I tell him everything above. He says that I am in the right, and that I should call my animal control in the morning to confirm. At his request, I send him an email with all my documentation of the above situation.

    I call my animal control in the morning. They mention is sounds like a neglectful situation, and basically say they would not do anything about it. They tell me not to contact this man again, so I block him from texting and through email.

    I thought this situation was done and over with, but then I get a call about an hour ago (Oct. 4th) from the sergeant. He gets my side of the story, and then says that I need to return the dogs because the dogs are the owner's property. I mention that he has not given me any proof of ownership and the sergeant says that the proof of ownership is that I found them in the area where I found them (close to the owner's home). He mentions that this is a property dispute. I tell him that it is illegal in the state of Arkansas for dogs over 4 months to not have a rabies vaccine (which these dogs would not if they have never seen a vet). He does not seem to care about this. I tell him that I am not in town currently, and need to get home before I can deal with this.

    My question...what do I do? I'm incredibly confused and frustrated. I picked up two dogs and gave them hundreds of dollars in vet care thinking it was the right thing to do, but now I'm getting the police called on me. I need to know if I'm in the wrong (because I do not want to deal with this and will gladly give them up if I am!) and what I should do in situation.

    Thank you guys for any help.

    submitted by /u/Frosty-Possibility-5
    [link] [comments]

    Lawsuit over medical debt incurred by my disabled daughter

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 01:22 PM PDT

    Edit: I live in Michigan.

    I have an adult daughter who has significant cognitive disabilities. As a result she is essentially indigent other than any support I provide her (her annual income from employment usually is less than $1,000/year). She reads at about a second grade level so insurance and legal documents are way over her head.

    In 2018, she tripped and suffered a minor ankle sprain. Some stranger called an ambulance for her, and she was taken to the emergency room of a local hospital.

    At the time she was covered under my insurance, which pays 100% for emergency room visits. The insurance company quickly paid the entire hospital bill.

    But I have been unable to get the ambulance company to bill the insurance company for the ambulance trip.

    They sent a bill shortly after, which included an area to fill out insurance information. I filled that out, had her sign it, and then mailed it back to the ambulance company, but they never billed the insurance.

    About 6 months ago, she received a notice from a local law firm that they were filing a lawsuit to recover the amount. I wrote up an explanation of what happened here, included the insurance information and a request that the ambulance company bill the insurance company, had my daughter sign that, and then faxed it to the lawyer's office.

    About a month later they simply sent back a "we see you're disputing the debt" letter that restated the amount and date of the ambulance service.

    Today, they had someone serve her with papers for the lawsuit.

    Any suggestions on how to handle this? There was information in what was served to her about a local group that does mediation for cases, so I reached out to them with an online form.

    submitted by /u/datahoarderprime
    [link] [comments]

    I just fell through a trap door and landed 14 feet below onto concrete in a retail store. What do I do now?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    This whole situation is absurd. I was lucky to walk away with a herniated disc and pinched nerve. I am 23 years old and just finished my yoga teacher training after years of saving and preparing for this course.

    There were no signs or gates. Just a giant hole in a narrow aisle between stacks of alcohol. I was looking straight ahead, reading a sign across the room. My phone was in the car btw. I'm in Maryland.

    According to an employee, this is the second time someone has fallen down this trap door. The owners apologized and pointed out how they forgot to put up the gate, and then they gave me 10% discount on my $11 bottle of wine lol.

    I was in total shock when it happened. Just laughing and telling the shopkeepers not to worry, accidents happen. I didn't realize how crazy the whole situation was until I went to the dr.

    Now the adrenaline has worn off, and I'm in pain and worrying about my future. Hopefully knock on wood I make a quick recovery and never look back, but what if this requires surgery one day or forces me to quit my job?

    I'm also worried because I'm pretty sure the shopkeepers already lied once. They said the camera in the room was a "dummy camera," but I saw its flashing red LED lights. I am trying to be patient and understanding, but I'm starting to think they really just tried to take advantage of my shocked state + kindness.

    What are my next steps? What should I document now? What can I expect if I choose to speak with an attorney? What if I have like basically no money?

    Are there any reasons I shouldn't just ask the store to cover my medical expendes on my own, without an attorney?

    Also how do I stop feeling like a brat about this? It's hard to imagine what positive results could come from potentially suing a family owned business in my hometown.

    Seems like it would just be a huge, unnecessary hassle for everyone, but like I said I am pretty worried about this costing me down the line. And looking back I'm honestly a little mad they were so nonchalant about this and had no trouble admitting this happened to an older gentleman before me.

    Ok sorry this is all over the place + I have a million questions. Thank you in advance for any guidance. 🙏

    submitted by /u/justathrowawaylad1
    [link] [comments]

    Ex-room mate trying to sue for mail theft.

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 12:16 PM PDT

    Not to long ago i received a package for an ex room mate of mine. I got ahold of her and attempted to send it to where she currently lives. She agreed to reimburse postage cost to me.

    A few weeks after sending it out the package returns. I ask the post office and they told me it was returned because nobody at the address recognized the addressee. I once again got ahold of the ex room mate. She said to change the addressee but the post office told me that would cost more. So i told ex room mate to let whoever is at the address that it is coming. She agreed and i sent it off, once again paying standard shipping.

    The package once again came back a few weeks later. This time I told the ex that she needs to pay for the past two postage charges as well as the next one in order to send it again (only totaling about $15). I directed her tonget ahold of my wife to get her paypal info and send us the money.

    She never got ahold of my wife. Today, aprox 3 weeks after the package was last returned to me, she messages me saying she is pursuing legal action against me for mail theft.

    I reiterated to her that her package has not been tampered with and ia still sealed, I simply cannot keep eating the shipping cost myself. I sent it off twice in good faith, expecting her to pay after she received the package.

    At this point I would rather just send it back to the company it came from and tell her to to ask them for a refund. Does ahe have any legal standing to pursue me on this? I feel like I have been more than accommodating, all i asked was to cover the cost of shipping after paying for it myself twice.

    submitted by /u/Leprokracken
    [link] [comments]

    Mail lady is refusing to deliver packages; I'm fearing retaliation (TN)

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 03:28 PM PDT

    Ok legal beagles, I've got one for ya.

    My previous mailman recently retired after many years of service. This dude was awesome! Made sure things got delivered on time, would hand walk the packages to the door, we left him Christmas cards in the mailbox, and he would leave dog treats for our puppers. All around good guy.

    His replacement, who I will refer to as Queen Bitch Karen (QBK), is the antithesis of a good mailman. If it doesn't fit in the mailbox, it is tossed at the base of the mailbox. This happened several times and normally it's not the biggest concern to me. But after it happened during a downpour and the package was left in the open, no protection, at the side of the road, and got ruined, I was a bit miffed.

    I take my concerns and several detailed photos to the distribution center in my SMALL Tennessee town and speak with a supervisor.

    "Hi Joe! What seems to be the problem?"

    "Hello Mr. Supervisor, I am having a problem with my mail getting delivered in a safe and proper manner." (shows photos)

    "Who is your delivery person?"

    "It's QBK"

    "Oh.....Her."

    Mr. Supervisor apologizes for the problems, states that he will discuss the issue with the delivery lady, but tells me quietly that she should have been fired after her 30 day probationary period, but wasn't and now has worked there for 20 years....and is Union.

    I think I am being retaliated against by QBK. Now, no packages get delivered at all! Either the don't fit in the truck or they don't fit in the mailbox. Packages recieved need to be picked up from the distribution center in person. Failure to do so and they will be returned to the sender. We are not left any "missed delivery" slip or "package at the distribution hub" slip. We just need to keep an eye on any tracking numbers we have or swing by the center to make sure there's nothing waiting for us.

    What can I do, or who can I contact, to get her to knock this shit off? I'm almost to the point of purchasing a heavy duty storage container and bolting it to my mailbox to use as a parcel locker all because of QBK.

    submitted by /u/00_Joe_Snow
    [link] [comments]

    Harassment by Jehovah's Witnesses?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 08:49 AM PDT

    My wife and I have dealt with harassment--sometimes constant--from JWs locally off and on over the years. They contacted us recently and this time, if it starts again, I would like to know if there's something I can do legally if it doesn't stop? I read several years ago that, in some areas, you can get what amounts to a restraining order to prevent members from bothering you further. I don't know if this applies in the state of Delaware or not, though.

    I'm well aware that they have a do-not-call list, but no, they don't always honor the wishes of former JWs and others. We're already on the list.

    submitted by /u/isaacjbs2
    [link] [comments]

    My iPhone was having hardware issues. I took it to an Apple store and they exchanged my phone for a new one. A guy from Ukraine contacted me a few months later with my old phone and personal information. Apple did not help. What can I do legally?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 05:41 PM PDT

    A few months after my phone was exchanged, a guy from Ukraine contacted me with pictures of my old phone (it had a distinctive crack and liquid marks under the screen). The phone was on, and showing pictures from my photo app. I texted with him awhile and he said he bought the phone online. He never asked me for money or anything, but the personal info on my phone was clearly not wiped at Apple, and it was resold. I contacted Apple about this, and they offered me a pair of headphones. Can I do anything legally about this?

    submitted by /u/alphaaldoushuxley
    [link] [comments]

    How can I find out if I'm divorced?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    I got married at 16 and he was abusive so I left and never looked back. I'm 34 now and I have no idea where he lives nor do I want to. How can I find out if he's divorced me yet? I really need to get this done.

    If he hasn't, how do I divorce him without knowing anything about him?

    Live in NC but got married in VA

    submitted by /u/LaurieLoves
    [link] [comments]

    Can an employer expect me to work longer hours without pay in exchange for a letter of recommendation?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    I work in a research setting with the intention to eventually enter into a profession school setting. In order for that to happen, i absolutely need a letter of recommendation from the head of my area. I have been told in no uncertain terms that the only way thsy would do this is if i worked at least 60 hours a week while being paid for 40 of those hours. They told me that those extra 20 hours a week would be my way of purchasing my letter of recommendation. Ive calculated how much that would be, and id effectively be giving them $15,000 worth of labor by doing this. I really do not have that extra time because i am also a student. Is this legal? Is there anything i can do about this?

    Edit: location is Florida i also forgot to mention that when they "hired" me, the paperwork took 3 months for them to fix. They told me id get back pay but that has yet to happen.

    submitted by /u/jswizz69
    [link] [comments]

    My girlfriend's stepfather is a convicted felon with an unregistered AR-15 rifle with illegal ammo. Would recorded audio of him threatening to kill me, my GF, her mom, and her stepsister be usable when he didn't know I was recording? This is In Maryland. I will put full story in comments.

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    I live with my girlfriend and her family. The house belongs to her mother's aunt.

    The stepdad, is a convicted felon. Beating his girlfriend and breaking a restraining order. On top of lots of theft.

    He has built a fully functional Ar-15 through online means. It has no serial number, no nothing. It functions, he's shot it off in the backyard before, he wears the bullet around his neck. He's also started building a Glock, but it's nowhere near done.

    The ammo is illegal in maryland, he had it brought here from West Virginia.

    My GF's stepsister takes the brunt of his shit. She is 12. I have over 100 audio recordings of him threatening to hurt her, kill her, "fill her full of bullets", "shove a dirty rag down her throat, and put duct tape over it". Her mom almost never tries to stop him. She just sits there and watches TV.

    Today was a breaking point. Huge fight between him and the mother. I have audio recordings of it. Where he stated he's goin to kill us all. That "we better pack up or we're all getting shot."

    Are my audio recordings usable?

    Please. Any advice is welcome. I will answer any questions as honestly as I can.

    Thank you for reading.

    submitted by /u/ChurchOfSatan
    [link] [comments]

    Local bakery vs scam on facebook

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 10:53 PM PDT

    A local bakery has an active and popular page for their store.

    Well someone decided to steal their name and photos and tried to steal people's credit card information by asking for it. They are not a real business.

    Not real names but it's like the real bakery is called "Cakes Chocolate & Gifts" and the fake page named theirs "Cakes ChocolateGifts"

    But still they are using all of the real bakeries photos.

    The fake page had messaged people telling them they won a contest that the real bakery was having, and told them they needed their contact info and credit card number. !!

    Facebook received tons of reports that the fake was fake but everytime has ruled it doesn't violate their rules.

    This poor bakery is trying their best to warn people but this is an awful mess. They are an amazing bakery but brand new and small.

    What possible thing can they do? New York state

    submitted by /u/eckokittenbliss
    [link] [comments]

    PC repair shop has had my laptop since start of covid and has been unresponsive for 8 months

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    I'm in Washington state.

    Poorly timed, I dropped off my black-screened laptop for a diagnostics test at a local repair shop two weeks before the shutdown (in February) and haven't gotten it back yet. In early March they closed their business operations and sent out texts that they would work on getting people their computers back "within the next few weeks." Never got it back. They sent another round or two of these texts in May and July, but I have still yet to hear from them, or have them reply to my emails. I have emailed them without response and tried to call them but their phone has been disconnected. Now I've looked at the business's website today and it has been taken down.

    The laptop was only 1.5 years old and cost $900. I also paid a $65 for a diagnostics service to pinpoint the problem, but obviously I never heard any updates on it.

    Is small claims court my best recourse?

    submitted by /u/pcthrowaway510
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal to "steal" my own property back

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 08:06 PM PDT

    New York State. If property is stolen from me, am I able to legally "steal" it back? An object of mine went missing during a recent gathering at my place, and something went missing from my apartment. There were a few friends and a few friends of friends attending, and it was a few days before I realized the property was gone. I had no idea where it went or if somebody stole it. A few weeks later, we were attending another event at someone else's place, the house belonging to a friend of a friend, so not someone I have a direct connection to, and I happened to see my item there. It is something small and unique, not something that anyone could commonly purchase, so there was no chance he just happened to have a similar item. When no one was looking, I quietly took the item and pocketed it, and eventually went home when the event was over. Upon closer examination, it definitely was my property. I considered bringing it up to the owner of the house, but was pretty sure I would get a denial about it and they would not return it. I also considered contacting the police, but the item is small, inexpensive, and mainly important to me for sentimental reasons, so its possible the police would not even have pursued it.

    submitted by /u/rocketbot99
    [link] [comments]

    Struck by a car, certain he ran a red light, police say I'm at fault

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    Hi r/legaladvice, and thank you for the help in advance. I'm a first timer in an accident like this. I'm a recent college grad and recently moved to the Northern Virginia area where I was biking home by sidewalk from a nearby Target when I was struck by a car. I want to know if there's any recourse, maybe just for the cost of my bike.

    I was at a SW corner and was about to cross North at a intersection I was familiar with. I double checked each of the lights. The cars traveling North had a green light, the left turn signal for cars traveling North just turned red, and cars traveling South just got their green light. All signals for cars traveling East had red lights, including their right turn signal. I checked and double checked these lights. I'm certain that had I pressed the crosswalk button, the signal to cross would have turned on. But given the superficial nature of the crosswalk signal and the pandemic in mind, I didn't press the button.

    The car that hit me was coming from the East about to turn right before heading South. I saw the car slowing down and assumed he was coming to a full stop since his signal was red and there was a boy on the sidewalk. I stepped into the crosswalk with my bike between my legs, but the car accelerated, hitting me off my bike into the intersection. When I collected myself, I moved myself and my bike back to the SW corner and didn't speak to the driver. Several witnesses gathered, the police and EMTs arrived, and I was taken into an ambulance. I was questioned by a cop who only asked if I had the signal to cross, to which I answered "No", and when I came out, all witnesses were gone. The cops told me I'm unarguably at fault since I didn't have the signal, that this isn't a large enough accident to file a report for, and that I would need helmet and lights to not be at fault anyways. The police advised me that while he probably won't file a claim with his insurance, I'd be at a loss in arguing my side if he did since this is my fault. I got a form with the drivers insurance information. I didn't have my phone on me and couldn't take any pictures. I have no witness contacts.

    The driver claims he had the green light to make the right hand turn but this is where I am certain he is wrong. I checked and double checked his signal, red, and the Southbound cars' signal, just turned green. So if I'm not mistaken on these details, I'm confident he wanted to make a quick right turn to beat the Southbound cars that just got the green. The driver apologized for hitting me and told me his son saw me, shouted at the dad to stop, but that I rode in on my bike too quick. I was waddling into the intersection with the bike between my legs.

    I'm not sure what to do, if I can do anything at all. I see myself as a pedestrian, where having my bike on me made cycling laws apply to me and strip me of any recourse I could have had. I've well aware of how the law fails cyclists but I only travelled by sidewalk and crossed in crosswalks at a pace no faster than a jogger and acted as carefully as my mother would want me to. I feel like the driver has to be at fault, loosely recited laws I've only heard of by word of mouth says so, but with a police response like this and no evidence on my end, this is just a "he-said-she-said" scenario. The police advised me that while he probably won't file a claim with his insurance, I'd be at a loss in arguing my side if he did since this is supposedly my fault. I find the fact that I was the one who almost died but he gets priorities as a victim is insane.

    My bike is expensive, I'm attached to it, and it's totaled. I'm overjoyed to be alive at all given that these accidents usually end unspeakably worse, but I want to know if I can at least ask him personally to help replace my bike with confidence that the police's verdict is off and I know I'm not in the wrong. In the off chance he does sue for damage on his car or puts me in a position where I'd have to somehow defend myself, I want to know that my side of the story could stand in court. My bike is like my life partner and I hope I can get help replacing just the cracked frame, maybe even the bent wheel. That's all I would ever ask for. I'm not asking for money or to win a lawsuit, anything that would hurt the driver. Just legal grounding to defend myself if he comes after me, and maybe just maybe help affording a replacement bike knowing law is somewhere on my side.

    Again, thank you all for taking the time to read through this. I hope you guys can help me out here.

    TL;DR: While crossing a road, I was struck by a driver who I'm absolutely certain ran a red. Police didn't care for it, told me it's my fault for not having the crosswalk signal, helmet, and lights, and for that reason pursuing anything would hurt me. I have no evidence but want to know if I have some kind of recourse in case this turns around on me. Also, my love and life road bike is bust, and it would be nice if I can personally ask him to help me pay for it with knowledge and confidence that I'm not legally at fault, that law is somehow on my side, and I have some leverage in this situation.

    submitted by /u/iceclimbersloserboy
    [link] [comments]

    Neighborhood kids are playing on my parents' dangerous driveway. Trying to figure out their next step.

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 02:35 PM PDT

    Location: USA

    Hi all,

    My parents live on the East Coast US and are in their late 60's. I live a state away and due to quarantine cannot visit them and help them take care of this in person.

    My parents have lived in that same house now for over 25 years. We have seen some neighbors come and go of course, but now the neighborhood has families with little kids in it again.

    Recently some of the neighbors have been taking their kids out for bike rides, and these kids (while under the supervision of their parents) are riding their bike up my parents' driveway, which is a steep hill, flanked by bushes on either side that are horrible blind spots. Our street is a popular cut-through for 2 major roads in town, so people are commonly flying through above the speed limit.

    Now common sense would say that the parents should not let their kids trespass first of all, let alone on a dangerous blindspot. These kids are also between the ages 3-8. My dad has talked to these parents a few times already and they sorta apologize then it happens again. Understandably, my dad is furious but also worried that one of these kids could get very seriously injured.

    I told him he should:

    • install a "no trespassing" sign
    • embellish a story about me/my friends as kids having "close calls" (we did though-kids be kids lmao. however my dad set me straight and put the fear of got into me)
    • look into driveway cameras
    • maybe consider a fence installed around the front of the house
    • begin to report it to the police so there's a record

    Now, my dad really has not been happy with the neighborhood these past few years and just can't wait to move, but they have to stay put until my mom can retire in a few years. I don't know what else I could tell them that could help - but I hate to see my dad so angry and stressed out.

    Thanks for any help, reddit.

    submitted by /u/seifuku
    [link] [comments]

    Mechanic friend of a friend destroyed car. What’s the best course of action.

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 09:32 PM PDT

    Pennsylvania. My car was running fine with the exception of occasional overheating, as well as clean and beautiful. A friend recommended their mechanic friend. I have another car, so when I took my car in I told the friend of a friend that there was no rush in finding and fixing the issue.

    He had my car for 3 months. Very occasionally I called the mechanic for updates, everything seemed fine until my backup car was in an accident and I needed a car to drive. The mechanic started giving me the run around, first he said he was out of town on vacation for a week, then he stopped answering my calls all together.

    I drove to his place to see what was going on to find my car in horrific condition, his neighbors said he was living in it. It's full of trash, including lots of drug paraphernalia. Cleaned out of ALL valuables this included an after factory radio system, speakers, a full mechanic tool box from my truck etc., one of my tires was in my back seat, one of my door handles broken, the car didn't even have a battery in it.

    What are my options here? I'm not concerned about winning against in him small claims court but if he doesn't have any money regardless (assuming as he was apparently living in my car?!) Then what's the point on suing him. Thanks for any insight.

    submitted by /u/cneeuq
    [link] [comments]

    New York apartment building delays approval of our tenancy past lease start date. What recourse do we have?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:24 AM PDT

    Hi! We have never lived in New York before so forgive me for stating the obvious or redundant.

    After the owner accepted our application two weeks ago, we submitted all fees, applications, and documents to the leasing agent, who made the building application on our behalf. The agent assured us the approval process only takes a matter of days. Based on his recommendation, we set the lease start date to October 1, which should have given the building plenty of time to process the application.

    However, after not hearing anything for a few days, I began to get worried. After a few calls, the agent sent me the contact information for the building manager, saying he could not reach her but that I could try. Her phone went straight to voicemail, a situation which continues until yesterday (haven't tried today, it's Saturday.

    The rules of this particular building are that they cannot reject us for any reason, as long as our background checks are clean and we submit all required forms and documents, which we have. The best they can do to do legally keep us from renting is by taking over our lease and paying the owner rent for our agreement period.

    However, they have already waited past the lease date, and I am worried they have no reason to approve us in a timely manner. I realize, of course, that we have no contract with the building, but we have signed a lease with the owner that entitles us to the apartment as of yesterday.

    As I mentioned, we have paid all applicable fees, including the first month's rent. which basically means I am obligated for a year to pay rent for a place that I cannot access -- and for which there is no concrete timeline for which I can access. What if the building manager just sits on the application? Is the rental contract void, since the start date has passed? Am I entitled to reimbursement for a portion of the first month's rent? Seems it should be prorated for obvious reasons.

    Thanks for reading! Please let me know if I have any recourse, or if there are good resources I can use to investigate further.

    submitted by /u/embracetwirlism
    [link] [comments]

    My father stole my inheritance

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    Grandma passed away 8 months ago. For the last 25-35yrs I've been told I was to get 100k when my grandmother passed away. Unfortunately, she passed away and my parents have changed. The first thing my dad did was disconnect his landline and change his cell number. He did this so no other relatives would know about her passing. The last time I saw my grandmother she told me I was to receive a six figure inheritance and she hoped it would help my family and I. Well, I asked my father about it 2 months ago and he blew up at me. We haven't talked since. I also found out the lawyer that handled the will has died and my father is the executer of her will. Am I fucked? Who can I contact to get a copy of the will? Any help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/NapaValley707
    [link] [comments]

    No heat vent in bedroom?!

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:16 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I rented a 4 bedroom home with roommates in May 2019, it's a standard three story home and i guess it's "student housing". We knew there was no AC when we signed the lease and weren't too concerned. Now that is cold out (from Ontario, Canada) we went to turn on the heat and I've noticed my room stays cold. I figured I must have some furniture over my vent but when I moved everything around and did a thorough search, I realized I have no heat vent in my bedroom. All my roommates have a vent, two of which even have a thermostat to control their own room temperature. Canadian winters get COLD and I'm having a difficult time - and it's only October. I tried doing a Google search and I'm not sure if it's illegal to not have a vent in a bedroom? There is one out in the hallway right across my room but I get no heat from there. I haven't texted my landlord yet as I'm not quite sure what to claim/ask for/tell him. He hasn't been the most helpful this last year. Any advice on how to approach my landlord? Do I even have the right to claim anything, or did I just pick a crappy room and have to deal with it? Thank you!

    P.S I know I could just buy a space heater but I know those aren't always the safest and I would still have to turn it on every time I came into the room and wait for it to warm up, and it doesn't help with cold nights as they aren't always safe to leave on while sleeping/unattended (they're also a bit expensive lol). Moving also isn't a great option right now because of COVID

    submitted by /u/Lazyraddish
    [link] [comments]

    Ex leaving his car at my house

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    Ex was given notice to leave premises, he took everything but a bookcase in the house , a patio heater in carport and his vehicle in my driveway. Didn't say when he was coming to get them. He also refused to give me my house key back. Can I change the locks? Do I need to do a formal eviction? I am in Ohio, the 30 day notice was ended Sept 30

    submitted by /u/random_reddit_user71
    [link] [comments]

    Can you sue someone for claiming you are their daughter when you have no relation to them? And more.

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 01:13 PM PDT

    Eastern plains, Colorado. In this situation, a creepy old guy continuously claims my girlfriens is his daughter, so much so that in his mother's obituary she was called her granddaughter. We have already filed a restraining order for other reasons, but now that is biting us on the ass. Because of his obsession with her, and how vocal he is about it, someone is using a fake Facebook account to try and scam him out of money by saying they'd drop the restraining order for cash. The police seemed to think it was actually her and threatened her and myself with felony charges. We are looking into dealing with that as well. The threatened charges are violation of a restraining order and extortion of an at risk person. They threatened us when we went in to report him violating the restraining order for the third, maybe fourth time. We handed over our phones immediately ana gave them permission to check phone and internet records to prove it wasn't us. They claimed that they were planning on arresting her but that we gave them enough information that they let her go. They still gave her a ticket for supposedly violating the restraining order. When we hit back, we want to hit hard. We want to take care of the person(s) using her name, and we want to hit him with harassment and anything else. We haven't obtained a lawyer yet, but that is our next step. Any advice would be helpful.

    TL;DR Creepy stalker is getting scanned by fake us and more than anything we want to keep her name out of his mouth, especially since she isn't his daughter in any way.

    submitted by /u/NewAnarchyTracker
    [link] [comments]

    Daughter is going to report my ex for sexual assault

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    Daughter is going to report sexual assault on my ex husband

    So my (34F) daughter (15F) is going to report my ex (38M) husband for sexual assault. It happened at least 8-10 years ago, and I've been divorced from him for 8+ years as well.I'm not sure exactly when it happened and I'm a bit vague on the details as I didn't want to make her uncomfortable. So we are going to the police station on Tuesday to report it. They shouldn't be doing a rape kit since it was so many years ago right? What will happen to my ex? Will they arrest him or just contact him. I'm not sure much can be done since it's basically he said she said and we have no proof. Me and my ex have two twin boys together which he refuses to let me see. We believe he is sexually abusing them. We've seen signs and had some issues with that before and I called CPS but they didn't really look into it. And that's when he stopped letting me see them which was almost exactly a year ago. So she's hoping this will bring some attention to him for us to maybe get another CPS case going against him. Can anyone give advice? I don't know what I'm doing or how it's going to work

    submitted by /u/etherealgal
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a house tomorrow, seller wants to wait until after closing to start moving belongings. (Ilinois)

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:43 PM PDT

    This is in Illinois(editted for automod)

    Hopefully an easy one. I'm buying a house and closing is tomorrow. We have already been through multiple hiccups because of the bank, but tomorrow is definitely the day. We went through for the final inspection tonight and the owner is barely halfway done with packing and isn't planning on actually moving anything until after thed closing is done(which she will not be at).

    My main question is, what rights do I have as the new owner once the papers are signed? Due to the hiccups with the bank our closing was already pushed back 5 days so I have until tomorrow night to move everything from my current house to the new house. The seller had movers booked for the day the original closing was scheduled but willfully cancelled that appointment and changed it to tomorrow, after our closing appointment.

    Given my situation I literally do not have the time to sit and wait while her movers show up an hour after I'm already the owner. Am I within my rights to tell them they need to move aside and can finish moving her out after my stuff is unloaded?

    Just for more backstory, her attorney and her agent have both confirmed they have told her on multiple occasions that she needed to have her stuff out prior to closing since everyone involved knew weeks ago that we are going straight from the closing to the house

    submitted by /u/NimbleNavigator19
    [link] [comments]

    New Home Had Duct Tape Covering Termite Damage

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 09:15 AM PDT

    We closed on a new home the end of Septemeber, we had an inspection done and a termite certification provided by the seller stating there was no visible damage and previous termites were treated.

    The day after closing we had a pest control company come out to treat the home before beginning small renovations. The guy stated he had been here before and remembered because of all the brown recluses and termite damage present. Long story short, he sent us the report he sent to the previous potential buyers realtor. We then contacted the realtor and asked if she sent it on to the seller's realtor. She has proof she digitally sent it. We also have pictures from that report showing a large hole it the wall that was labeled termite damage from August. We then have our inspectors picture from Septemeber showing that wall looked odd, we all assumed it was some mold in the garage.

    The pest control guy then tapped that corner, looked at it and peeled away silver duct tape that had been painted white, including some balled up and shoved in the hole. They also did some patching and painted drywall damage to cover burrows in the drywall. After cutting away a small section of drywall we saw studs that are completely compromised.

    It appears the damage is one whole two story exterior wall, part if another exterior wall and a general contractor is concerned about the roof of the garage and the floor joist of the bonus room.

    So, my question is, since we knew there were termites but were treated, are we on the hook for the damage because they hid it well enough?

    Update to add we are in Tennessee.

    submitted by /u/halnjone009
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment