• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 16, 2020

    Legal Advice - WI Homeowner's Assocation says our wheelchair van in the driveway violates their bylaws but we are low on options

    Legal Advice - WI Homeowner's Assocation says our wheelchair van in the driveway violates their bylaws but we are low on options


    WI Homeowner's Assocation says our wheelchair van in the driveway violates their bylaws but we are low on options

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    Our home is bound by an HOA. They were good for years but it has grown difficult for the last 2.

    By coincidence I have both a husband and a son who have unrelated disabilities. My husband uses a scooter most of the time and a power wheelchair occasionally (likely to be the chair more than the scooter as he gets older), my son uses a wheelchair. We have always had a wheelchair accessible minivan but it cannot accommodate both chairs at once and could not be cost-effectively modified to do so, which severely limited transportation for our family.

    Several months ago a woman at church inherited a handicap-accessible van that can accommodate two wheelchair users and also has a powered platform on the rear to accommodate a scooter. The van was paid off and she had no use for it and she is an amazing person - she donated it to our family so that the three of us can all ride in the car together. The van is a modified Ford Transit, which is sold as a commercial vehicle. It has obviously been a huge blessing.

    Unfortunately because of the design of the rear platform and the fact that we have had to modify our garage to add a wheelchair ramp, we cannot fit this vehicle in our garage, so it lives in our driveway.

    The HOA has developed a rule saying that no vehicles may be parked in driveways overnight, and commercial vehicles may not be parked in driveways at all except when driven by a service person hired for repairs.

    So our van violates this in both ways - (a) we need to park it in the driveway overnight and (b) though we do not use it "commercially" it is on their list of what is considered a commercial vehicle. They say that vehicles of this type appear as work vehicles and look unsavory.

    We have been arguing for months that it should be allowed as we own it explicitly to accommodate a disability. However, they argue that either a passenger vehicle (like a standard minivan) could be modified for the same purpose or we could expand our garage. However our garage is currently as close to the right-of-way space as it is allowed to be, so we cannot actually expand it toward the front of the property and expanding it to the rear of the property would mean that some of our kitchen turns into garage (and then our kitchen would no longer be accessible, so we'd have to keep expanding all the way through the house). We cannot afford to replace it either - while it is fairly valuable, a new van with the exact modifications we need costs much more.

    We have argued with the HOA for months, have gone door to door and asked neighbors to help pressure the board, etc., and many have pitied us but we have gotten nowhere. The board has declined to hear on the topic of repealing that particular measure. Some neighbors have volunteered to try to join the board to inspire bigger change, which is great, but the board won't be up for election for another 10 months.

    In the mean time the board has announced publicly that homes in violation will incur daily fines and after 15 days they will begin towing a vehicle in violation. They told us they gave us a "grace period" to find another vehicle or adjust our garage but it ends next week and we have no solution.

    Where does the law stand on this? We are feeling stuck and hopeless.

    submitted by /u/daisiedandconfused25
    [link] [comments]

    Rover sitter broke into locked rooms and neglected dogs for four days

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    Mississippi. Rover sitter broke into locked rooms and worse

    My fiancé and I hired a rover sitter while we were on vacation for two weeks. The first week went okay and then it went downhill from there. She was suppose to be staying the night each night for two weeks. We even have a .5 acre fenced in yard so you don't even need to walk the dogs. It was a very easy job.

    After the first week, she text me from her boyfriends phone and stating she lost her phone. That was our first red flag. However she was still texting me on and off from her old phone. Our neighbor is a police officer and stated the girl hasn't stayed there at all. She stopped texting us and we got home the dogs have been in there kennel for four days without food or water. There was urine and feces everywhere. We have three dogs and one is disabled. We also saw one of our doorknobs had been removed and you can clearly see someone broke into it with a credit card. She also turned off the ac and the house was 85 degrees when we entered. All the dogs had UTIs and had to go to the vet ASAP. My dogs now scream when we leave the house. They are traumatized. We had the police come over and take our statement. I contacted rover so many times and they don't seem to care. I have text messages from the girl even stating she hadn't been there for four days when we confronted her once we got home. She even stated she "lost" the garage door opener.

    We can't believe this situation. I don't even care that she broke into our rooms and took stuff. I care about the dogs and how she neglected them. I couldn't believe someone could be this cruel.

    submitted by /u/gandie-ro
    [link] [comments]

    I’m an autistic adult with a guardian. Where do I start to get my freedom back?

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 09:58 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm a 26 year old female living in upstate NY. My mother was made a full guardian of me when I was 19. I was in a bad place and very uncooperative with the adults in my life and professionals in the process then and throughout my teenage years. I have a level 1 autism spectrum disorder and a developmental expressive language disorder, a psychiatric dx of depression and generalized anxiety, but no other cognitive disabilities. I have grown since this all first happened. While living at home with my mom I finished community college and went on to a 4 year program. I graduated with a BS in biology in May. I got my first job as a lab tech over the summer. Since my mother manages my finances I feel challenged in being able to save for my own apartment with my new job because my mom does not support the idea. I also met a guy (who is also a fellow autie) at my new job and moving out would help me progress and be able to start a real relationship. My mother is not supportive of this either. I feel since I have grown and am in better learning of social skills out in the community since going to college and getting a job, I am ready to move toward living independently. I am ready for say in my finances, where I will live, etc. Where do I begin?

    Edit

    I'm adding more information about the family dynamic because it seems pertinent. I'm not allowed much access to my own finances as my mom prefers to make purchases for things I need with me, directly. She is not in agreement with my wish to move out on my own and believes I benefit from the guardianship. She personally feels it would be harmful for me not to have it. I have tried but it doesn't seem I am going to change her perspective. Any request for independence is met with push back. I asked for my own, earned money to buy a bus pass when I started working after I got paid. I wanted to go to work independently. She prefers to drive me. She refused so I saved my spending money (cut out buying lunch at the cafeteria where I work) to buy a one month pass anyways. When she found it she cut it up in front of me. So, I know contacting a lawyer is a part but I don't know how I would do it without her permission as she is not on board with me seeking less restrictive living and would not allow me permission or money to do it.

    submitted by /u/applejamberry
    [link] [comments]

    Woke up this morning and my fence is gone - OH

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 07:25 AM PDT

    I went to let my dogs out and the fence between my left neighbor has been removed.

    Probably unnecessary background - We do not have the best relationship with these neighbors. There was talk right after they moved in about a year ago of putting a new fence and possibly splitting the cost because our dogs do not like each other. After that our relationship soured and there has been no other talk about splitting the fence. We had thought about doing it ourselves, but covid happened.

    The fence posts were on our side of the yard, and the entire fence is on our side of the telephone pole. I believe that makes the fence "ours", but I cannot find the survey from when we purchased the house. I have two concerns 1. That they will come to us asking for half of the cost, when it looks like this is a much more expensive fence then we were planning. 2. The new fence is actually on our property.

    I have not gone out there or asked them to stop. I guess I am asking if my concerns are valid, and what I should do (if anything).

    Edit: I am worried about the property line because I think it could cause problems down the road.

    submitted by /u/SulColmMally
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor sent me a text threatening to file a false CPS report and then actually did. What do I do now?

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    I live in Alabama. I'm currently involved in an ongoing dispute with my neighbors over an illegal dog breeding operation they're running. The city has finally started taking steps to shut it down, and several households in our neighborhood have lodged complaints about it, filed lots and lot of police reports over the constant noise from the dogs, and have had damage done to their properties and pets during the dozens of times that their aggressive dogs (about a dozen in total, producing about 100 puppies a year) have escaped and run amok in the neighborhood.

    Recently I have become a target of retaliation from my neighbors, as they believe that the other neighbors would abandon their grievances if it weren't for me being persistent in trying to shut down a full blown business in our residential neighborhood. It's true that the other neighbors started taking more serious action after I stopped begging my neighbors to control their dogs (which I did daily for a few years) and finally started asking the city to intervene. The consensus is that the other neighbors were afraid they were the only ones who had a problem with the dogs until they saw me taking action with the city. The neighbors mostly all keep to ourselves so we hadn't ever spoken about the common problem until the city started requesting evidence and letters from us.

    I've received lots of threatening and harassing messages on my personal and business social media pages recently, from an obviously fake account. I know that I can't prove my neighbors are behind it, but the timing is uncanny. The messages threaten to destroy my life and family, and claim they won't stop harassing me no matter what I do.

    On Sunday of this week I was woken up by my neighbors' dogs barking as usual. After they barked nonstop for 2.5 hours, I walked onto my back porch and shouted "Shut the hell up!" Usually I just shout "Shut up!" and don't cuss, but on this morning I was particularly peeved because my family were trying to rest after a long week of working on our house prior to hosting a Covid-friendly outdoor birthday party for my wife the day before. The neighbors' dogs barked during the entire party and made our friends and family miserable the whole time. The dogs sometimes do quiet down after I shout at them, but this time they did not. So I texted my neighbor and told them their dogs were being a nuisance and they needed to quiet them down (we can hear them barking in every room in our house) or I would call the police. Two minutes later my neighbor texted me back saying she would "call CPS over the profanity!"

    I have a 10 year old child who was upstairs in his room when this occurred, and has never been present during a dispute over the dogs. We try very hard not to expose him to our frustrations with our neighbors so we don't burden him with it. My neighbors have never met my child and do not even know his name. I responded back to my neighbor's text and mentioned that he was upstairs and that I wasn't aware that adults aren't allowed to cuss on their own property.

    Yesterday I arrived home to find a letter from CPS taped to my door saying they received a report of child abuse/neglect and needed me to contact them as soon as possible. I also received a text to my cell phone from the same social worker asking me to call her. I called and spoke to her, and she informed me that she received the report, and additionally that the report included me having "mental health issues". This part makes me particularly disgusted. I am an Autistic person, and just received my diagnosis in January of this year. I'm very high functioning and mostly just deal with sensory issues. It makes the noise from the dogs particularly hard to deal with, but my non-Autistic wife and non-Autistic neighbors are in the same boat, so my Autism isn't really a factor here. However, after receiving my diagnosis, we informed our neighbors in hopes that they would consider doing something about the noise (obviously they didn't). They responded by saying they will "pray for me to get well soon" (WTF) and have recently been making derogatory remarks to me such as "Go take your medicine" and "Go talk to yourself" if I complain to them about the dogs. It's very obvious that they think Autism is a mental health issue, and I'm very disturbed by them putting that in a CPS report.

    How should I proceed at this point? I have no problems with CPS coming into my home as it's immaculately clean and my child is very loved and taken care of. We don't believe in hitting or spanking and have never done anything that could remotely be considered abuse. We split custody of my child with their other biological parent and recently wrote a petition to modify our custody agreement to have my child here every other full week plus summers (currently my child is here 3 days a week since his other parent lives much closer to his school). We haven't filed the petition yet and now I'm afraid that this false report might cause us problems with the filing. Is there anything I can do about the fact that my neighbor texted me threatening to call CPS over profanity two days before the social worker showed up at my home? Do I have the right to ask the social worker if they have any evidence to support the report before I expose my child to a retaliatory investigation? How do I make sure I'm protected as an Autistic person? I was in the foster care system as a child so I'm very afraid of putting my family and child through this and don't have a lot of faith in the system.

    submitted by /u/sadneighbor1945
    [link] [comments]

    Large trucks use my residential street as a route even though there is a 7 ton weight limit posted at the end of the street.

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 08:12 AM PDT

    Hi, I live in Lake Tahoe, California. At times it is very busy here with cars and tourists and when the highway is backed-up that passes near our neighborhood we get lots of cars speeding through our neighborhood to find a faster way to where the are vacationing. What is worse is the big rigs using my street. They are huge excavation trucks. I don't know much about truck tonnage, but I am sure these are well over 7 tons. They say "Sierra Nevada Trucking" on the trucks' doors, but a quick internet search and there is no such company. I live on Dolly Varden Ave. in Kings Beach, CA if you want to look up maps or truck routes or something. The trucks come pretty much everyday. I have a 2 year old and there are other neighbor children too that we all care about.
    Diesel pollution and running over children are my concerns. Thank you for any insight.

    submitted by /u/Nownownowow
    [link] [comments]

    My HR lost my retirement contributions

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    Edit: Sorry bots! Located in Georgia!

    So I've been working at this company for just over a year. I have been contributing a percentage of my paycheck to my retirement fund the entire time I've been employed here. However, I recently found out that my SSN was entered incorrectly by ONE NUMBER in HR's system when I tried to apply for unemployment benefits when COVID hit. The HR head apologized profusely, fixed the issue immediately, and got me my unemployment benefits. That was in May. Now that I am am working again, I took a moment to check my 401k and realized there's no contributions prior to when my SSN was updated by HR. What do I do? I will be talking to HR tomorrow, but I'm afraid they won't be able to find the money I've contributed.

    I've already downloaded all of my paystubs from the past year documenting that I've contributed to my savings fund just in case.

    Edit: my 2019 W-2 was filed, submitted, and accepted by the IRS with the incorrect SSN

    submitted by /u/syrinx__x
    [link] [comments]

    County suing us over yard renovation with town permits.

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    I'm sorry if this is the wrong flair, I wasn't too sure if it fit in this bubble, or if there's even anything legal we can do.

    We just purchased a house with some really horrible neighbors that call the town or the police on literally everything we do, so we've been taking extra precautions while doing our yard renovations. We got permits to expand our driveway by five feet, making it the maximum allowed width for our town to have. All our plans are approved by the town, all our permits are in order and the driveway is almost completed minus the stone that hasn't been spread out. We couldn't afford blacktop so we went with stone instead.

    It's been about Theo weeks and due to my husband's work schedule, we aren't able to move the stone right now, so our front yard is a bit of a mess. We started replanting the grass that we dug up or killed and have the holes ready for our retaining wall. This week we got a letter from the county saying we were in violation of county rules for "removal of soil on property at (our block and lot number)" and apparently this is our third warning, but we've never received a single warning so now they're suing us for not have responding.

    We've lived in this house for five weeks so I'm not sure how we could've had three warning already when we started this two weeks ago, but I also don't understand how we can have all the correct permits for our town and the county is able to say we're in violation for moving our soil. On top of this, the county engineering office is working from home, so according to the planning office (we tried to find any person to talk to) they come in once every month to check messages and go over all the stuff that came in during the month, so filing for a permit with the county isn't possible in the time frame they've allowed either, or is it possible that they've sent us here warnings when we haven't lived here for three months.

    My three questions would be, can the county really fine us for removal of soil when the town gave us permission to make our renovations? And is there anything that we can do to not be sued and pay for the damages they say we've cause? And is there anything we can do about the harassment of the neighbors? They admit it's them and even the town is ready to stop taking their calls since it's literally every single day they call for something.

    submitted by /u/Kccakes441
    [link] [comments]

    My dad received a positive Covid test and is refusing to quarantine. He’s a Realtor doing open houses, and still working. Is this actually illegal and if so, is there anywhere I can report this to? - New Jersey

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 02:08 AM PDT

    Inb4 my dad and his wife are awful people

    My dad and his wife caught Covid, probably from their constant refusal to wear masks and social distance and such. His wife did get mildly sick (in comparison to others) and needed to go to the hospital, and from this it was discovered that both of them tested positive for Covid. His wife is quarantining but my dad is refusing to.

    My dad is a realtor, his office is open as an essential business and he's still selling houses and helping people buy houses, and even has open houses scheduled for this weekend. So he's basically surrounded by people all day, and then going into homes also where there could be children or elderly people and this jackass is breathing Covid air everywhere.

    He's one of those people that doesn't cover his nose with the mask also, because he says he can't breathe. He also always tests boundaries with masks, he had told me he likes this one particular gas station because the clerk doesn't confront him for not wearing a mask.

    I feel angry that he's doing this. He's not telling people or seemingly doing anything to protect other people. He's saying it's not a big deal and he feels fine, that the whole Covid thing is overblown nonsense.

    Is this something you can call the police for or the health department and could he get arrested?

    submitted by /u/Poutine4ever
    [link] [comments]

    Mom taking out credit cards in minor sisters name without consent

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 07:35 PM PDT

    My sister is 15 years old and I am 25. I recently found out my mom started taking out multiple credit cards with herself as the primary and my sister on there jointly or as an authorized user. My mom is notoriously bad with credit because she maxes out credit cards and never pays them back. She's going to ruin my sisters credit by having her on them, but my mom doesn't care about that. My sister does not want to be on these credit cards (did not consent) but does not know how to stop it now. We live in Florida and I read you can't freeze your credit until you're at least 16 with a parent or guardians consent. I'm not a guardian so I wouldn't be able to help her with that even when she turns 16. Is there basically nothing she can do until she turns 18? Any advice?

    submitted by /u/DirtyDorito1995
    [link] [comments]

    Former employer is using my name and image to communicate with clients MN USA

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    I previously worked for a small insurance firm in a small town. I was well-known locally. I quit after some issues with the owner 7 months ago.

    Now it has been brought to my attention (through a VERY confusing grocery store encounter) that the owner is still emailing clients using my name and photo. The former client I spoke with said he even claimed to be me while on the phone - she called, asked for me, and was transferred to someone. She did not recognize my voice and said she was confused and said she was trying to get transferred to me, and they said "This is [name]." She said she remembers saying she didn't recognize my voice and the man said he has a cold so his voice is a little off.

    My mom (who has many friends who had been my clients) has now asked around for me and has learned, more alarmingly, that apparently "I" have been a total jerk to several of her friends (so probably other people as well). She has gotten several emails forwarded where "I" told one lady in writing that she is an idiot, told someone else that her poor planning is not "my" emergency, and asked someone out to dinner (which just made her extremely uncomfortable). Apparently they've all thought that my mother just raised a jerk, so they are relieved to know that this wasn't me!

    This morning I heard back from a former coworker (who worked there until two weeks ago but has now also quit) and he confirmed that that the owner of he company has continued to use my email address and pretended to be me when talking to clients because I was well-liked by clients and they are trying to salvage goodwill as a business (he has been in hot water in our community after some incidents that occurred). My former coworker said that he and someone else there brought up that this was inappropriate several times, but the owner claimed that it was temporary until I was replaced so that clients weren't alarmed, but it has just continued for 7 months.

    I kind of expected my former employer to use my email account for some period of time until clients were transitioned to someone else, but this is further than I thought it would go and I am alarmed at the reflection he is having on my character.

    After the circumstances of my leaving I do not have a good relationship with the owner so I am cautious about reaching out and wanted a quick take from anyone here before I proceed. Thank you all!

    submitted by /u/beinginpersonationed
    [link] [comments]

    My mom (60) is being abused by her boss.

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    I'm posting this on behalf of my mom who is 60 years old and working as an office manager in Massachusetts. She has been working for the same employer in different locations (churches) for over 20 years. She has been working in her current location for approximately 10 years (if not more) and has worked under 2 different bosses (priests) during this time. She is 5 years away from retirement where she will get her pension.

    Ever since the current priest took over, he has been toxic and abusive towards my mom. My mom is 50% deaf and often wears hearing aids. This is a documented disability that her boss has been made aware of numerous times. He frequently mocks her and yells at her for this disability. He won't acknowledge necessary accommodations for her (my mom is deaf in one ear, so he has been asked to approach her from the other side, tap her on the shoulder, or speak louder so she can hear him, but he refuses to do this). He will take it personally if she doesn't hear him and accuse her of "ignoring" him and continue to yell at her regardless of whether others are in the room.

    In addition to mocking her disability, he also constantly ridicules her work or accuses her of wrongdoing without cause. Since my mom is an office manager, she often deals with money and donations received by the church. It is her responsibility to take this money and deposit it to the proper accounts. Her boss constantly accuses her of stealing money or giving it to parishioners. Again, there is no proof of this and there is actually more proof to the contrary because there are receipts for everything.

    There are other women and some minorities working with my mom in their small office. Her boss has a tendency to make inappropriate requests and comments towards these groups. He calls black coworkers derogatory names and makes women do ridiculous things (one is responsible for cooking, but he doesn't want her cooking in the house so she has to go next door). He has done many inappropriate things regarding minority groups, but he still seems to mostly target my mom.

    My mom has been afraid of retaliation (and because of her age, she is afraid of leaving and doesn't want to risk her pension). She just recently went to HR and an entire investigation has been launched and they have uncovered a lot more sickening things about this man. However, he has begun retaliating against my mom. He has accused our family of following him on his nightly walks. He has accused our family of throwing trash at him. He has been posting nasty things about my mom online as well as spreading rumors about her. My mom is relieved to have gone to HR, but I'm afraid this man is going to do something to her either at work or even potentially elsewhere.

    What are her options in this situation? Does this have to stop with HR, or should she take matters into her own hands?

    submitted by /u/10anon95
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] Intentionally coughing in someone’s face during a pandemic

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 08:45 AM PDT

    I was in a Publix grocery store two days ago when I witnessed someone cough in a middle aged woman's face after she expressed concern for them not wearing masks. We were standing in line and she did not have the option to distance herself from them further. What's the protocol here? What would society expect me to do? I would be furious. I keep thinking if that happened to me and how would I not retaliate?

    The woman was obviously very upset about what happened and from what I witnessed there was no repercussions for the person who coughed in her face. Publix has signs for masks but they do not enforce the policy.

    submitted by /u/blatzphemy
    [link] [comments]

    My business and I were the target of false racist claims, and I am now being threatened by people who think it's true. Is there anything I can do, we are not in the same state.

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 05:26 PM PDT

    I had a what was originally a minor dispute with a customer over the delivery time frame for a custom shower curtain, after she pushed me several times by demanding I meet the early deadline she wanted, I cancelled and refunded the order which enraged her. She then doctored the email I sent her with tons of horrible racist slurs, and posted all over social media warning people not to do business with my racist company. Now me, my family, and my business are receiving hundreds and hundreds of death threats and more. Is there anything I can do? I wish I could post the picture here. Nevada/Texas

    submitted by /u/SaralynPM
    [link] [comments]

    My job keeps asking for 10 minute meetings/trainings that are unpaid but still mandatory. Can I do anything? (VA)

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 07:22 PM PDT

    I'm a W-2 employee but I'm a therapist and I'm paid only for each session I do (reimbursed through insurance companies). Throughout my tenure with this company (a bit over a year), I have been repeatedly asked for unpaid "10 minute check-ins", or "15 minute trainings", etc., a couple times a month. I've been willing to let it go -- not worth the hassle -- but this week I had to schedule three of these. That's up to 45 minutes of unpaid time and I have to arrange my schedule around those events.

    I know it might be petty but I've been taken advantage of before and this feels like a violation of my personal boundaries. In addition to this job, I work two other jobs and I'm a student so my time is really valuable. Do I have any leverage to ask them to either stop inviting me for meetings, or to pay me for that time?

    submitted by /u/jingks_
    [link] [comments]

    [Cook County, IL] What's going to happen when I report my rape?

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 01:37 PM PDT

    I was raped in 2017 in Chicago Illinois. I was extremely intoxicated when it happened and only recently learned the truth about what they did to me. I have since moved to the west coast, and neither of my rapists live in Illinois anymore.

    I'm seriously considering going to the police but I'm afraid of what's going to happen. Can someone please walk me through everything, the steps that will be taken by police the moment I make the report, what will be asked of me? I just want to know exactly what to expect if I do decide to report, especially since none of us live in the state where the crime was committed.

    submitted by /u/_gryffinwhore_
    [link] [comments]

    Sold a Car to my "friend" who ghosted me and stopped paying. What should I do?

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    3 months ago I sold a Corvette to a so called friend of mine for $30,000. There was no written contract, it was all verbal. Our deal was that if he gave me $14,000 as a downpayment, he would pay me the rest within a month. Once he would pay the rest I would hand over the Title to the vehicle. Only problem is this guy has been giving me the run around for two months now. I've been contacting him over and over asking when he can make a payment. Sometimes he responds with a response so he can buy more time, other times he does not respond. The Chevy is still under my name, and the registration has expired. Should I reposes me own vehicle? My only problem is that this individual is very violent. He is a known gang member and they vehicle has bullet holes in it already. This individual also knows where me and my family live. I am willing to move out if it is necessary. Located in Los Angeles California

    Edit because I forgot to mention that the vehicle has been badly mistreated. It's been 3 months of no oil changes, videos online of him burning out on it, bullet holes and scratches on the front bumper.

    submitted by /u/Stevinskie
    [link] [comments]

    Signed a lease, was told I was denied after signing, now owe $8k with collections threats. (Springfield, MO)

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 07:14 AM PDT

    During the COVID-19 shutdown of our city in April 2020, I started looking for an apartment, as my husband and I were about to get a divorce.

    Since we were shutdown, I applied with a seemingly reputable company online. After the application, I spoke to a rep over texts and toured an apartment over Instagram Live. I liked the place and the offer was too good to pass up--No deposit, no administrative fees, and free rent from May-July.

    They send me a lease and what appeared to be a more formal-style application. Mind you, I had already applied online through their online portal.

    My income was right on the threshold of what would be approved. This is important. But since they sent me a LEASE, I assumed I was already approved.

    I submitted my paperwork and one day later, I received a Letter of Adverse Action via email with a form email that stated I needed to either pay 2 months rent ($1400) or get a co-signer to take possession of the apartment.

    I did not have $1400 nor a co-signer, so I asked what would happen if I could not meet their qualifications.

    They told me that I would be liable for the entire lease term--approximately $8k.

    I checked the lease again and yes, this is in there. But it isn't in the main body of the lease. It's only stated in the summary on the first page before the signature. It basically states that it's a conditional approval and that if I don't move in I could be liable for the whole term.

    I've tried to seek legal counsel, but I'm rather poor from recently becoming a single-income household.

    I've had several fruitless talks with the manager and documented everything. I even had a local news story run a consumer awareness piece about this, that's how egregious this seems to everyone I've shown the documentation to.

    Yet, they say that on September 24th, they will send $8k to collections.

    I spoke to a lawyer the other day and he told me to tell them to have their legal counsel send everything to him. He said he thought that would spook them enough. They have not responded to my request and I'm not sure if they will send the information. He said he'd represent me if it went to court, but... like, they don't seem like they're going to sue me. They're just going to send it to collections. Yes, the collections agency might sue me but... it feels like I'd have an easier time winning against the original company, not collections? I don't know.

    September 24th is very close to now. I don't want to send this collections. I want to be proactive.

    What type of lawyer should I be looking for? What can I do? Are there any avenues I can take to slow down or stop this mess?

    submitted by /u/crashboomkisses
    [link] [comments]

    Friend checked herself into Psych Ward, is being held until 72hrs after seeing a psych. Hasn’t seen a psych yet, after 4 days.

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 12:28 PM PDT

    Located in Maryland.

    My friend admitted herself voluntarily Saturday night, 9/12. On Sunday she signed a waiver stating that she could leave the facility 72 hours after speaking to a psychiatrist.

    The hospital's Behavioral Health Unit is full currently so she is being kept in a part of the emergency section of the hospital. She is sitting in a bedroom with a tv, and nothing else, and hasn't seen sunlight in 4 days. Most importantly, she hasn't seen a psychiatrist. In the 4 days. Every time she asks to see one they tell her "the psychiatrist will be in in the morning", but she waits and they still haven't come. She keeps asking when she'll see one and one nurse told her if she kept asking they'd certify her (hold her involuntary).

    Another thing is because the health unit at the hospital is full, they wanted to transfer her to a health unit at a different institution. She had heard bad things about the reputation of this institution before (I looked up their reviews myself and they're awful). So she refused. She says it seems like the staff has started acting more coldly toward her for refusing this.

    So now she's still stuck alone in the room in emergency section of this hospital, she's been in for 4 days now, she has no idea when she will be able to see the psychiatrist then once she does she'll have to wait an additional 72 hours after seeing them. She has received no mental health help, she just eats sleeps and stares at the tv. She told me all of her anxieties have shifted to her being anxious about when she'll get out. At this point she regrets ever coming and just wants to go home.

    Is there anything that can be done to help her in this situation? She has a therapist and a psychiatrist outside of the facility but I'm just a friend, I'm not sure if me reaching out to them would do anything for her, she doesn't know what to do, nobody knows what to do, she just wants help so she can go home.

    submitted by /u/anonymous4advicepls
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Landlord using shell company to skim overcharges for cheaply contracted maintenance labor?

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    My former landlord overcharged my roommates and I for cleaning and painting after we moved out. We received half of our $5,000 security deposit, but the apartment was very clean, and only had minor paint scuffs/chipping. After contacting the property manager, he directed us to a vaguely itemized invoice for the contracting service they used and said he didn't have the details, so we called the contractor and discovered that they only work with our landlord and their sole employee works out of our landlord's office (I realize this technically isn't a shell company).

    She would not give us any further details, and when we asked to speak with the worker who assessed our unit and did the work, she put us on hold and then said she was talking to him at the moment, and when we asked to speak to him, she said he only speaks Spanish, and when we told her we speak Spanish, she said it's actually a different worker, not the one who cleaned and painted our unit...

    A lot of he said, she said, but I hope the image I'm seeing comes into focus for you. Our landlord is part of a local property management company that's owned by a national development and real estate corporation, who I assume also own this contracting firm. They find immigrants to clean and paint the unit for cheap, and then inflate the bill and funnel most of the money to the national corporation for "administrative fees" or something like that. I've searched the SEC website and the CA Secretary of State's database but couldn't find any info on these companies aside from some registration paperwork.

    Now, I'm pretty sure this isn't illegal (that's the US for you), but what I want to know is, would this information help us were we to sue for our money back? Is there any database I can search to find a connection between these companies? I don't know how small claims court works for landlord tenant disputes, but would this establish proof that our landlord is acting in bad faith?

    submitted by /u/eatbeanseveryday
    [link] [comments]

    Ex husband burying ex wife in legal fees over custody battle

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 09:17 AM PDT

    My girlfriend and her ex husband have two elementary school aged children together in Charlotte, NC area. She is an educator by trade and he is a pilot. She lives/works about 25 minutes from where he lives when he is in town; he is gone out of country ~50% of the time flying. Current custody agreement is he has kids when he is in town. This custody arrangement has not been a problem previously - he is an attentive involved father when he has the children.

    They disagreed over where the children will go to school. She hired an attorney originally to arbitrate just that matter, but he refused arbitration at the last minute unless she agreed to whole bunch of things other than the schooling (like her having to pay his legal fees) which she could not afford. He has a pit bull attorney and has now sued her for full legal custody and is burying her in legal fees that she can not afford to pay (emergency hearings, having his lawyer communicate with her lawyer about every exchange between them, discovery requests for everything under the sun). This all appears to be a ploy on his part to have her cave to his demands - we really do not believe he would win the case if it were to actually get to the judge.

    She is at a complete loss for what to do. She can no longer afford an attorney. She just wants to get in front of the judge to have the judge decide the case. Does she have any options?

    submitted by /u/qu1etus
    [link] [comments]

    CA, SF. Old landlord won’t stop sending me money!

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    I moved out of a 4 bedroom apartment in 2014, and only had a year lease agreement with the landlord, but since there was a constant revolving door of lease addendums and new roommates, I may have never been removed from the lease. I was the last remaining "original" leaseholder, after everyone I had moved in with moved out and the new tenants all signed addendums to the original lease. I receive interest checks every 6 months from "my" security deposit on the apartment, and I'm wondering what ramifications there are for myself (besides free money). I have called and emailed my old landlord multiple times, all to no avail. I even had my mother call him and they somehow wound up in a shouting match, but the issue remains unresolved. I'm worried about any liability or financial obligations I may have regarding the lease. For clarity I have not lived at the property since 2014, and have moved and changed addresses multiple times since then( he sends the checks to my mothers address, as she was a co-signer on the original lease.)

    submitted by /u/adamalz
    [link] [comments]

    Dad died, wife’s “caregiver” is now trying to take control.

    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 07:43 PM PDT

    Long story short. My dad died ten days ago. He was still legally married. I'm his only child and wife (W) said we would split everything.

    Currently W is living with a woman claiming to be her caregiver, we will call her V.

    W's sister has told me that V plans on taking everything. What can I do? He did not leave a will and like I said, they were still legally married since 2009 but haven't lived together in 3 years.

    I didn't want it to be like this, but I will not roll over while some stranger auctions off all my dads things for the sole benefit of herself.

    My dad lived in Indiana.

    submitted by /u/bloobludbleep
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment