• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 15, 2020

    Legal Advice - [TX] Is there a way to cut your family out of a holographic will?

    Legal Advice - [TX] Is there a way to cut your family out of a holographic will?


    [TX] Is there a way to cut your family out of a holographic will?

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    Is there a way I can put something in my will to state that I do not recognize my familial relationship with my parents or siblings and declare another person as my next of kin in a way that will either prevent them from contesting the will or at least make it much harder for them to do so?

    My divorce was finalized yesterday, I currently have no children, and have realized that this means my next of kin is now my abusive parents again. I have had some recent health complications that has me wanting to get a temporary solution in place immediately. This is why I am creating a holographic will and an end-of-life document that will be witnessed and notarized so that I have at least something that can protect me in the event of death until I can afford to have a formal will drawn up by an actual attorney.

    I don't have a lot of assets, but I do want to protect what little I do have and make sure I am not given a funeral I do not want or buried with people I want nothing to do with.

    EDIT: I know I need to hire a real lawyer, my divorce has left me with almost nothing and even the most affordable lawyer is out of my price range right now. Once I am more financially stable I will have this done properly, I just want to protect myself as best as I can in the meantime.

    submitted by /u/heyyy_hermano
    [link] [comments]

    No birth certificate, no ID, no SSN card, no passport, no anything. Need to get a state ID (WA)

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    *SO*

    My girlfriend has no government photo ID and we have been through the trenches trying to figure out how to get her one in Washington state. We have just about nothing to work with.

    - The haves:

    An old high school photo ID

    Rental agreement with her name on the lease

    Paystubs from work

    Tax return documents

    - The don't haves:

    Any family left

    Birth certificate

    Passport

    License or ID

    SSN card (but we do know the number)

    We went to the DOL and they told us there's nothing they can do which is insane. It makes me think about what happens if you lose everything in a flood or fire or something. What about those people?

    She does work and has tax documents and paystubs from that. We tried applying for a birth certificate from Fresno California where she was born, but they need the application notorized and we can't do that without an ID. I am at my wit's end trying to figure this out. If anybody knows what we can do or who we can contact to figure this out, I would be extremely grateful.

    I am READY AND WILLING to pay a professional as well for help on this. If you know a lawyer (if that's what I even need, idk) that specializes in things like this I can pay for whatever services we need.

    EDIT: We got her birth certificate application notarized! The UPS store will notarize documents if you only have a high school ID and a letter addressed to you at your current address!

    submitted by /u/classicjondor
    [link] [comments]

    I have been told that my unborn baby has a high probability of genetic defects - abortion laws GA/FL

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    My husband and I are pregnant with our first baby. I'm currently 21 weeks. I would like to make it clear that we love our baby and want her very very much. This is an extremely difficult time for us. We are in constant contact our doctors and are doing every possible test available. I can't express the amount of tears that have flooded my eyes.

    In preparing for the worst case scenario, I'm worried we may face terminating my pregnancy. In the state of Georgia the termination limit is 21 weeks. The Florida limit is 24 weeks.

    Given the state of abortion laws in Georgia, would I be prosecuted for traveling to Florida for a late term abortion? Searching through google gives me so many answers that I'm honestly not sure.

    submitted by /u/YB9017
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] How do I prevent the massive amounts of phone calls I receive on the daily for people asking to purchase a property belonging to my father

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 12:08 PM PDT

    I receive multitudes of phone calls a day asking for a property I know nothing about.

    They ask for my father's name and I don't give them any info. I ask who they work for and they typically hang up. I ask to not call again, and for the most part I don't believe I've heard the same voice twice.

    BUT THE AMOUNT OF INDIVIDUALS CALLING IS STILL TOO MANY.

    Today I had this exchange

    Moron: Hello is this [father's name]?

    Me (fed up with these individuals): DO NOT CALL ME AGAIN

    Moron: UH RUDE, YOU don't tell me what to do!

    Me: Who do you work for, any realtor is required to check the do not call registry to see if I willing to be solicited

    Moron: Well you should get your facts straight, I'm self-employed and NOT a realtor.

    Me: Where did you pull my number from then, its wrong.

    Moron: I'm not disclosing that and your number here says (Father's name) so clearly that's you

    ONE should still be too many considering I don't own any property myself.

    None of these individuals will reveal where they pulled my number from and changing my number is not an option I've had it for almost a decade now.

    I'm on the Do not call registry.

    Is there anything I can do to trust random phone calls again ....

    I have to be able to pickup random numbers for work

    submitted by /u/katman43043
    [link] [comments]

    I found a Kitten abandoned in a sealed box in a Dumpster. The box has a label with a name on it. What do I do?

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 03:06 AM PDT

    We found a kitten in a dumpster behind our work. It was in one of those pet carrying cardboard boxes although it was sealed. For all I know it could have been there all weekend. The mailing sticker on the box has been ripped off but there was another sticker underneath that has a persons name and residential address and its not too far. My GF and I want to keep the cat because obviously its previous owner was an abusive piece of shit that was willing to abandon it to die. Id like to see the owner brought to justice but I dont want to risk them trying to get the cat back because it doesnt belong in a home like that. What should I do? Do we have any grounds to report the name we saw to the police/animal abuse? If so, what do we risk personally by getting involved? Do we risk the cat being taken from us? We're both responsible pet owners.

    https://i.imgur.com/yTQZeOG.jpg this is the poor little guy. We named him Frodo.

    My location is Pennsylvania

    Edit: thank you all for your wonderful advice and support. We looked into it and the name on the box is definitely not the person that abandoned him. So it looks like many of you were right and it was just a coincidence and it was what ever box the asshole happened to grab. We've taken him to the vet and hes going to be alright. We've decided there isnt much point reporting anything so we're just going to do our best to love him as much as we can. :)

    submitted by /u/avaslash
    [link] [comments]

    Weird accident caused by Appliance Repair Man

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 09:28 AM PDT

    This happened in Massachusetts.

    My washing machine broke; the repair man came and was a bit nervous (bec of COVID even though we both were wearing masks and I kept a distance). He told me the pump was filled with sand. I asked him what color and he said black. This is the same sediment that comes from my well (I do have a filter) and I said, oh this is from the well my town put in for me because my original well is contaminated from an old town landfill. He said he didn't want to get involved with town politics! He refused to give me a written diagnoses and in fact I paid cash (he said because he didn't want to go to the bank, re: COVID). (He is well known so, I wasn't concerned). I wrote him for a receipt and diagnoses (for tax purposes as well as a supporting document to attest to what the well water is doing to my appliances). No reply.

    The worse problem is that when he left he had set my washer cycle to run, and he had placed the washer drain hose in the furnace air intake pipe and flooded my furnace control panel. Fortunately I was in the basement and heard a trickling noise. I called him and at first he denied it. I was nice but firmly said that he DID do it and I realize it was an accident. He got a furnace guy to get it to turn on.

    Fast forward; someone told me the problem would come later when the wiring had a chance to rust and now that it is getting cool out, I tried to turn it on and it will not go on. I am having a hard time getting in contact with him, so I am wondering what I should do. I get fuel assistance and so theoretically that agency would fix/replace my furnace but that wouldn't be until after cold weather sets in and it's a 'maybe.' He didn't answer a letter I sent asking for a receipt. I tried calling but his usual phone number wouldn't go through to him. If I get through and he refuses to take care of the situation, I am wondering if should say that I don't want to take him to court (small claims). I also want the receipt and diagnosis.

    submitted by /u/sapphirestrm
    [link] [comments]

    My workplace won’t fire the guy that followed me into the women’s bathroom

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 07:45 AM PDT

    Disclaimer: I'm new to reddit. This was originally posted on r/sexualharassment, but it was suggested I post this here. I did contact HR. Unfortunately, HR is one person and can't do much

    Original post follows

    Hi, first time poster and on mobile. Any tips would be great

    I (20F) work for a landscaping company. We typically work in crews of three and drive trucks to assigned jobs. A couple weeks ago, I was on a job site with another crew made up of two people I knew, and one newer guy I didn't. Long story short, he followed me into the women's restroom in a public gas station, asked if the guy he had seen me around was my boyfriend (I answered that he was), and asked me to let him in the stall with me because I'd like it. I told him no, and he left.

    I have been sexually assaulted in the past, and the whole experience terrified me because I didn't know if he was waiting outside the bathroom to hurt me for saying no. I reported him to my managers and to the police, but they all keep telling me that if I were to press charges, it would be thrown out because there were no witnesses.

    Management now has notified me to tell me that they can't fire him because he is African American and that they are worried that BLM would riot if they fired him. They also plan on setting up a meeting between him and I so that he can "apologize" for something he blatantly denies.

    Honestly, I'm just not sure what to do. I can't stand that I have to see him come into work every day like nothing ever happened while I'm too afraid to go into a public place alone anymore. I'm not financially secure enough to just leave and hope to find a new job.

    Any advice would be welcome, and I'll do my best to clarify if needed. I'm just so frustrated that nothing will change and I'm expected to accept an apology and move on

    submitted by /u/unluckysiv
    [link] [comments]

    (TX) I am disabled. My reasonable accommodation request was denied by my supervisor. What now?

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    I have chronic migraine, vertigo, and back pain and am unable to drive to work around 35-50% of the time because of this. Recently my condition has become much worse. I have been seeing neurologists for this for several years but a cure or effective treatment is unlikely at this point.

    I started my job in September of last year. My job can be done 100% remotely. Other employees in my workplace have also worked remotely on occasion, including former members of my team.

    In writing, I disclosed my condition to my manager and asked if I could be reasonably accommodated under the ADA by permission to (1) work remotely on an as-needed basis when I am having a bad episode of pain and vertigo and (2) if the lighting and AC in my office could be modified to prevent migraine triggers.

    However, I was immediately denied with the explanation that doing so would be seen as giving me special treatment and that telework is not seen favorably by upper management.

    What are my next steps? As it is, continuing employment like this is virtually impossible but at the same time I need the money/health insurance and finding another job is also impossible at this time (thanks to the pandemic).

    submitted by /u/ArtisticSandwich3
    [link] [comments]

    I got Karened, what are my options?

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 07:50 PM PDT

    I own a Chinese/Korean takeout restaurant. During peak dinner service about a week ago, I received a call from a woman telling me that she had ordered via ubereats and that she had found a bug in her crab rangoon sauce. I was shocked and my mind raced to see how that was possible. I asked if it could be that it was just a piece of black particle from the wok as opposed to a bug flying into a steaming, covered pot is nearly impossible. She said no and that it was huge cricket and for me to go take a look at it as she had posted a picture of it on yelp.

    I apologized and told her that we would investigate and rectify the situation. She proceeded to tell me that she would be contacting ubereats and the health department. I told her that's her right and again apologized. In response, she said the health department needs to be notified. This call shook me up for a few minutes and I told my partner about what the customer said. We had no time to look for the next hour. After dinner rush was over, we searched our page on yelp (I have not looked at our yelp page in 5-6 months) and found the following image and caption. My partner looked and laughed, "That's ridiculous, that's not even the crab rangoon sauce."

    https://imgur.com/a/iXihgrK

    This was her caption along with it. We'll, just ordered from here for the first and last time. This was in the sauce for the crab rangoon.

    Here was my response, Sorry, you're mistaken. This is not our sweet sour/crab rangoon sauce. Our crab rangoon sauce is red. Please see other customers pictures of the sauce. Your picture looks like duck sauce that came from a package somewhere. We do not make duck sauce in house

    The following is a customers pic of the crab rangoon sauce and one of our own.

    https://imgur.com/a/wYcRKT5

    https://imgur.com/a/yhd8tH2

    What's crazy is that the bug she posted wouldn't even fit in our sauce cup. I tried to contact the customer to talk to her. She did not pick up. There's also no way it would fit inside the sauce packs from WY industries. Here's a pic of their sauce packs.

    https://imgur.com/a/8qGmrLF

    I don't understand this person's motives? Is she trying to destroy a restaurant just to get her money back? Is it a race issue? Is this some form of weird power trip? Why did she do such a poor job of framing us? We don't even make homemade duck sauce.

    This is a very difficult time for any restaurant. We've only been open for about a year and we closed for 2 months starting in March during the height of the pandemic for safety. I don't want this woman to do this to someone else. I need this pic removed for obvious reasons.

    We contacted yelp to try to have the post removed and they gave us a boilerplate response that they will look into it. Currently, the post does not show up on the review page as it is as of this writing a not recommended review (algorithm based, making it worse as my response is not even shown just her pic). This changes almost daily.

    What is the best way to handle this situation going forward?

    submitted by /u/takeout4000
    [link] [comments]

    [NY] brother committed suicide because of something I said/did. Parents are trying to sue me

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 05:21 PM PDT

    My brother was a rapist and wife-beater so please don't feel bad for him

    He showed up at my house last month begging to stay just one night because he had nothing left, I told him no and to fuck off

    He said "come on just one night" and tried to push past me, I pushed him back out and slammed the door on his leg to which caused him pain.

    He screamed something at me and then began crying and said "please just one night" at that point I told him if he wanted any sympathy from me I'd have to be standing over his dead worthless body

    A few days later I got an incredibly angry call from my mother who was pinning the blame on me and is saying that I caused his suicide. And has already hired a lawyer and filed a police report (per my sister)

    Surely I can't be guilty of anything right? I might have injured his leg but he was trying to force his way into my home.

    Advice?

    submitted by /u/FallenRedux
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Now that child has reached 18, ex-wife is claiming that "Child Support" was actually Spousal Support

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    Located in California.

    tl;dr: Ex-wife is claiming I have been paying her spousal support and not child support, even though our agreement does not state this, and I was ordered to pay child support, and a year after the final judgment, daughter came to live with me full-time but I still paid out a portion of the ordered child support in order to keep the peace and not disrupt our daughter further. Now that daughter is 18 and I stated I paid the final support payment, she's claiming I was paying spousal support and not child support. Details below. What are the chances that she can claim anything and now force me to pay Spousal Support 5 years after our final divorce judgment?

    Situation:

    Ex-wife and I separated in 2013 (prior to 10 years of marriage). Divorce was finalized in 2015. Child custody and child support was included in the final judgement. We had joint legal and physical custody, ex-wife had primary physical custody and I was to pay child support every month. The judgment stated no spousal support and it stated that I kept all and any retirement benefits. It also clearly states that each parent was responsible for paying childcare. Ordered me to also have health insurance for our daughter and for us to pay half of any medical or other expense.

    Spousal support section of judgment reads as follows:

    Spousal Support: Neither party shall pay spousal support. The parties acknowledge and agree that no sums of spousal support are presently due either party, and that no sums of money or other form of property paid by either to the other since the parties' separation were for or shall be considered spousal support. However, the court shall reserve jurisdiction in the dissolution proceeding to award spousal support in the future.

    Child support was paid as stated. Fast forward to around 2016, Ex-wife moved away and daughter moved in with me full-time. We did not go back to court for this arrangement, but was best for our daughter that she stay with me, due to school, friends, family, sports, and more importantly, it's what our daughter wanted. I continued to pay court-ordered child support, for I feared it would cause us to go back to court, and her likely unwillingness to pay me child support and would fight to have my daughter leave to live with her. I did not want that.

    Since I had her full-time, I needed help. I began to pay a relative of my ex-wife's to help provide care. Eventually, I spoke to my ex-wife and advised her that I could not continue to pay her the court-ordered child support, plus provide additional funds to pay for childcare. It seemed unfair, so I told her that I would be taking out 1/3 of the money being paid to her each month to help pay for the care. She fought me, said that her relatives should be doing it for free, but I disagreed. She reluctantly agreed to the reduction in the amount of child support she would be receiving each month and instead that money went for childcare.

    As our daughter aged and no longer needed childcare, I continued to pay the reduced amount. Never heard anything about that from the ex-wife, never went back to court, etc.

    Our daughter has now turned 18, I sent ex-wife an email stating that since our daughter is now 18, this was the final child support payment.

    Her response was: You weren't paying me child support, you were paying me spousal support, per a conversation we had outside of said relatives home. She said this was because she "didn't take any of your retirement." This is where I do not agree that this was what we agreed to. I never would have paid her spousal support voluntarily.

    The relative kept records and can corroborate that I paid money to them directly and why it was paid.

    Again, there is no order of spousal support in our final judgment, although it was left open ended that she could go in and request it and that it would be at the discretion of the court. However, no post-decree agreements were ever made, nor was anything ever brought back to court again.

    I have not responded to her emails (she sent a second one), and have a consultation with an attorney in the morning. What are the chances that she can claim anything and now force me to pay Spousal Support 5 years after our final divorce judgment?

    submitted by /u/Equivalent_Donut_724
    [link] [comments]

    My wife’s employer is claiming they don’t offer bereavement leave.

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 09:07 AM PDT

    My father-in-law just recently passed away and so, naturally, my wife has taken some time off work. 3 days, so far, to be exact. She wants to take two more days off to go to the memorial service in California, but she is being told that she will have to take PTO for it, and that her company does not offer bereavement leave. After a very quick google search, I found that under FMLA law in our state (Arizona) she should be entitled to "24 work hours, or 40 hours (if the employee must travel outside of Arizona for the funeral) for the death" of a parent. Am I understanding AZ state law correctly? Is she entitled to bereavement leave? Or is her company legally allowed to require she use PTO for this instead?

    submitted by /u/jd46149
    [link] [comments]

    Friend’s kid burnt their house down

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    Long story short my friends 12 year old accidentally burnt their house down last week. They have renters insurance, (but it only covers up to $2500) and the landlord told her his insurance is filing a claim against her renters insurance. We are scared her insurance might come after her for being liable for the fire. (Side note: the fire started in the attic which she had converted into a bedroom for her son without the landlords approval.) Anyone have any experience in this kind of thing? We don't even know where to start.... she is a single mom and can't really afford an attorney but I'm thinking she might need to talk to one right?? Have no clue what to do here and just trying to help her. (She lives in California - when I posted this the bot said I had to include the location)

    submitted by /u/AlfredoPuppers
    [link] [comments]

    We have no floors!

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    So we are on a warpath with our apartment complex. They are trying to charge us more money but they won't fix a single thing in our apartment. We:

    1.) currently don't have a kitchen floor. (4 weeks like this)

    2) our bathroom floor has a sheet of plywood over it because it's caving in. (8 months since the plywood, 3 years since we mentioned the problem)

    3.) our hallway vent fell off and we have boxes in front of it (1 year)

    4.) our bedroom window no longer closes (1 year)

    What can we do in the state of Ohio? They won't even let us break the lease without getting someone to sublet! Is there anyone we can talk to?

    submitted by /u/futureoftravel
    [link] [comments]

    [Texas] can an employer make selecting your doctor a condition of employment?

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    A friend of friend "Brad" complained to us that he would really like a second opinion on a recent diagnosis but most of the other doctors his boss will "let" him see are inconveniently far.

    I asked what he meant by that and he said that his boss told him there are certain doctors he is allowed to see and if he doesn't choose doctors from that list he will be terminated. Brad did not know his reasoning, he doesn't have insurance through this employer. They don't work in a healthcare field, his boss owns a landscaping company, and Brad doesn't think the boss would have insider knowledge of which practices are better than others. His boss is pretty involved with his church so we were guessing the doctors on the list might also attend that church but seeing as Brad is male and wouldn't need any potentially controversial reproductive care wouldn't it be a bit of a stretch to think it's for religious reasons?

    I've never heard of this and it just feels sketch. I know Texas is "at will" so it doesn't really matter but now we are curious... is firing someone specifically for their choice in doctors legally enforceable? Does anyone know why his boss would care about this when he's not paying for insurance or anything? Thanks

    submitted by /u/ptera_tinsel
    [link] [comments]

    Mom fired for sleeping on break (working at company for over 29 years)

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    Hello all My mother works or worked for a company at a shipping facility. She was in charge of the line and had employees under her. This was her first job ever and has been with the company for over 30 years. My mother is a extremely hard worker and always puts in over time when she can. Always goes in super early at 5 sometimes 4. She's an angel and is mortified anytime she gets a "coaching" (which is extremely rare and probably has happened less than 5 times in her career) or is told something by management and fixes the issue right away. She's the type that is NEVER on the bad radar. Today she was taking a nap on her "break time" in the office which is a normal thing and has never been told not to. She doesn't have to clock out for her 15 min breaks, only for lunch. Today she was caught by the main boss and was told to turn in her badge/radio and was told to go home and that they would discuss this with HR tomorrow. Shes freaking out because she thinks she's fired but I'm skeptical that they can do that without prior warnings or write ups. She's given her life and work for this company and yet they treat her like this. I also think She's sometimes taken advantage because she doesn't speak English well. I just want to prepare in advance and was hoping for some advice. This is in Texas.

    submitted by /u/fbarra
    [link] [comments]

    My brother, who has low-functioning autism abuses my mother and my sisters (including me) on a daily basis. I am scared he might kill one of us.

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 09:02 PM PDT

    My brother(14) constantly hits one of my family members whenever he doesnt get something that he wants. Mainly it's something we cant afford or just impossible to give. My sisters constantly have panic attacks or worse just thinking about what he might do to them. My brother is currently having a meltdown, throwing things and my mom told me to go to my room. My(15) room is the only safe place for me to be. My mother has to stay with my brother to make sure he doesnt do anything stupid. Because of this, I dont know much of my mother and we dont talk very often. Once I have saved one of my sisters from death as he was choking her and that memory has stuck in my head for a long time. Some of my family members recorded this and laughed at it, thinking it was funny. I saw her crying and I couldn't leave her behind (as I was running away from my brother as well) I dont want to put too much info out there as I am afraid someone in my family will find this. I live in Kentucky. I dunno if you need like... exact details? I dunno I'm just a dumb kid who just recently got reddit.

    submitted by /u/ILeftMtCatAtSlyline
    [link] [comments]

    (CO) Am I justified in asking my supervisor to OK leaving the television off only during my shifts?

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 04:03 PM PDT

    I work in a control center, with 2 mid shifts (00-08) and 3 swings (16-00). One of those shifts I have a lower coworker working alongside me. Unfortunately, this coworker is obsessed with the television positioned along the wall with our camera monitors. She throws a fit if she doesn't have possession of the remote to watch whatever she wants at a decently high volume, and when she cannot, she sits there with her feet up on the desk on her phone ignoring her duties.

    I was diagnosed with ADHD back in 2005 and have been medicated for it since. I find that the television is distracting both visually and audibly. I have attempted altering my dosage, reorganizing my monitors so I cannot see the screen but I remain heavily distracted during my shift. Anytime I work alone, I turn the TV to a blank channel and put away the remote but when the incoming shift comes in, I get pestered and demanded to put something on.

    Am I within my rights to approach my supervisor about a reasonable accommodation to allow me to keep the TV turned to a blank channel so I can focus on my job?

    submitted by /u/MidnightTaters
    [link] [comments]

    My boyfriends ex stole his dog and then filed a baseless restraining order that took half a year to fight. We tried to go get the dog back after a year and sent a polite text in advance to let her know, now there’s another restraining order.

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    Sorry for the wall of text, I'm on my phone and I also dont know much about legal jargon. Please bear with me.

    My boyfriend is twenty years old. They broke up about a year ago, she was nineteen. They actually broke up amicably but she has a kind of psycho dad that has stated up front that he wants nothing to do with any of his daughters boyfriends unless they're marrying. After the breakup, they went to a Sonic to just sort of reflect and talk things over with slushies (they were together for a while) and the dad shows up out of the blue (its a small college town so understandable) he freaks out, calls the police, he finds out later that theres now a restraining order. While it was against the ex's will, she is very strongly influenced by her dad and it can be assumed that she was convinced to throw out some mostly bogus information that appeared on the protection order. This was almost a year ago, he won the case after about 5 months and after being forced to drop out of college and move states back home. Everything happened very quickly and his dog was at the Ex's family home. My boyfriends mom tried to go and pick up the dog at the time but the police weren't cooperating and she had to return home. (The ex and the college are in Kansas, home is in Texas.) He won the case but lost a lot in the process, and took a while to recover. He decided it was time to go and get his dog back (who is microchipped and we have the paperwork for) he asked me to send a text on his behalf, so there would be no issues as far as personal contact go. I sent a polite text telling her that we would be up in a few weeks to get the dog, and that I was a friend of his and she could communicate through me so it would be as smooth as possible and we wouldn't need to go through the police. She responded saying I had the wrong number and exactly a week later my boyfriend was served another restraining order accusing him of stalking and sexual assault (and human trafficking? but i think thats just grouped together on the paperwork idk). We're both young, broke kids and he just wants his dog back. I honestly think this Ex is just being manipulated and controlled by her dad. He's known throughout that small town for being a major piece of work. What's the best course of action for my boyfriend? Does the order even stand a chance in court? A lawyer is a lot of money that we dont have, but if its the only way its the only way. I was wondering if he could even counter-sue for wasting his time and resources? Or emotional damage? He did have a pretty important part of his life ripped away from him in the first ordeal. This is all being done in the Ex's name though, and I don't imagine he wants to ruin her life back. I'd appreciate any and all advice! Thank you for your time reading this.

    submitted by /u/i-am-ur-daddy
    [link] [comments]

    Corporate employee refusing service to a bully/agitator

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    I work part-time at a corporate owned bagel shop. I'm one of only two white employees, I'm transgender, she is Jewish. The rest of the employees are black, refugees, or immigrants. This regular customer comes in daily way before open (before we even arrive) to start pounding on the door aggressively, shouting about how he is gonna be late for work (dude, not my problem). He belittles employees, calls me an idiot daily, has called my female coworkers "dumb bitches," and literally dresses in Trump 2020 clothes head to toe every single day- from hat, to mask, to tee-shirt. He's obviously being antagonistic and does all he can to pick a fight every day. Reads our nametags and calls us out loudly, repeatedly, ant agonistically by our names over snd over while insulting us. He is clearly there to pick a fight. I (un)happily serve loud Trumpers every minute due to the neighborhood we live in, but at least they pretend to be people towards us. This guy is an asshole.

    I plan to refuse him service later this week. After an embarrassing incident two days ago, I have decided that he is not worth my kindness, nor even my employment. My question is- how can I best preserve my rights as a corporate employee? Ideally, worst case-scenario I'm fired. Best case-scenario he leaves us alone for good. My co-workers serve him with such politeness and grace despite his decorum because they need this job. I don't need it, so it feels like it's my job to call him out on his demeaning, disturbing, and bullying behavior. Someone has to.

    I'm okay with losing this shitty job (though not happy about it), but I'm not okay with being called an idiot by someone who wears a hat, mask, and shirt that essentially says "you are not a person to me" every single day.

    I know businesses reserve the right to refuse service, but not employees. Am I stuck losing my job over this or do I have any legal defense? I live in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, if that makes any difference.

    submitted by /u/Mister_IceBlister
    [link] [comments]

    A Looming Lawsuit

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 08:46 PM PDT

    I live in the province of New Brunswick, Canada. I sold my house recently and the buyer is going to sue me for damage to the home that I didn't know about. The laywer we used for the real estate transaction is saying this. We have yet to receive anything formal in writing which is what I'm waiting for before I hire a lawyer. I've already been referred to a lawyer.

    What can I expect from this process? What should I know before hiring a lawyer. I feel like the buyer is a slimy grease ball just looking for a payday. Which judging by his behavior during the closing of the deal, I've come to the conclusion that's exactly what he is.

    Is there anything I can do besides hiring a lawyer to protect myself? The damage in question was not in my inspection report when I purchased the home five years ago, and obviously it was missed by his inspector. He's supposedly had two engineers come out for inspections and claims the damage is very extensive.

    It's my understanding that he would have to prove I knew of the damage and didnt disclose it. Is that correct? If it took two engineers to determine the extent of damage and was missed by the home inspection how could I possibly know about it.

    Just an FYI the home was extensively renovated after we bought it. I can provide more details in DM.

    submitted by /u/boardhoarder86
    [link] [comments]

    Grandma sold me the house, now wants to sue

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    Good morning,

    I'm a little shaky so I apologize if this sounds disorganized.

    I am located in Massachusetts.

    A couple years back I was starting to save to buy a house, and my grandma mentioned she wanted to sell her home and asked if I wanted to buy. I was excited, a chance to buy my childhood home! She said she would give it to me at a discounted price.

    Time goes on, I finally get have enough for a down payment. I started the process in May of this year of applying for a loan. I explained the situation to the mortgage broker and he said if she was selling it to me for a lower price than she should consider a gift of equity for the difference, it would benefit me as it would give me a full 20% down payment. I told him I wasn't sure if she would go for it but I would ask. To my surprise she said yes and a few weeks later we signed a Purchase and Sale and she signed the gift of equity.

    Closing was delayed due to some inspections being delayed and during that time my mother passed. My grandma was (and still is) a wreck.

    We moved forward with closing and until my grandma can find a new place my fiancée and I agreed to let her live here. Unfortunately my fiancé and my grandma do no get along and it came head to head this morning in a huge argument which ended in her saying she was going to sue me and say I conned her into selling me the house.

    Should I be worried? Is this something she could do?

    Please let me know if anything more is needed

    submitted by /u/Salty_Raspberry5441
    [link] [comments]

    Paid security deposit / first months rent before signing lease - can landlord keep it? Bowel movements left unflushed, blood soaked sanitary napkins left out

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 09:38 PM PDT

    I was planning on renting a room in a home in Colorado. It seemed like we'd get along great. The owner lived there and we both ski, I was excited for the winter months. However when I visited the place earlier in the month, it overall looked okay but the room I was planning on renting had a real musky smell. He even commented on it during the walkthrough and told me its because of the previous tenant and it'd be gone when I arrived. Flash forward to the 11th when we agreed I would move in. I couldn't come that day because of I had to quarantine while I awaited the results of a COVID test but I sent him the rent and the security deposit. Lesson learned on never doing that before I move in. Today I came to move my things in and while physically clean it smelled musky and gross. I went to the bathroom I was supposed to share and it too smelled mildewy. There was a used sanitary napkin with blood all over it sitting at the top of the trash. (I'm a woman, I don't care about periods, but I think there's a way to dispose of them respectfully in a shared space.) I began worrying it wasn't the clean space I had once thought. I decided to scroll up on the group message to discover this is exactly the case. It showed messages of people complaining about rotting smells, cat piss, and roommates leaving bowel movements unflushed. I soon realized no this was not the clean space I was presented and I had not signed a lease. I immediately texted the landlord saying I'm leaving, I'm not moving in, and the living standard is disgusting. He said I could not get back my rent or my security deposit because it was a verbal agreement. Will this stand in Colorado small claims court? We did in fact agree on a movement date and I did enter the property today with the key he left for me.

    submitted by /u/skisailnaked
    [link] [comments]

    Victim in trial receives text from “Victim/Witness Advocate” saying trial is postponed?

    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    Super quick back story:

    S/O is victim to a robbery where the perp was arrested months later. Video evidence of the robbery was submitted at the time the report was filed, and couple months later we were notified that he was captured and then received the subpoena notice.

    So! Now today my S/O received a text from an unknown number saying that they were a "Victim/Witness Advocate" that was recently assigned to the case and that the trial "is not going to happen" because the defendants attorney has asked to be removed from the case, and to call a number when ever possible. Is this legit? Is this normal? Do we call the number or is something sketchy going on? Who do we get in touch with if something IS sketchy? Neither of us have ever really dealt with the court system so we really have no idea what's going on.

    Thanks!!

    EDIT: Sorry u/locationbot! Wisconsin, USA!

    submitted by /u/KnivesToAGunFight
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment