• Breaking News

    Saturday, September 12, 2020

    Legal Advice - [Update] Restaurant traffic cutting off parking area

    Legal Advice - [Update] Restaurant traffic cutting off parking area


    [Update] Restaurant traffic cutting off parking area

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    Original post here

    I took the advice of several commenters and phoned the city councilmember of the ward I'm in, and was cc'ed into the email exchanges. I emailed the diagram I posted here. The chief of police was asked to give warnings to people blocking the entrance, the city's lawyer was brought in regarding making the offending restaurant post an employee to herd traffic in the right direction, and the planning commission and traffic engineering were "on it" all within 4 hours of my phone call.

    We'll see what happens in the future but I'm pretty happy with my city government right now!

    submitted by /u/kokomala
    [link] [comments]

    My grandma made those DNA kits and "proved" that I am not my father's son and wants to get rid of me.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 04:49 PM PDT

    Throw away because I have friends who knows my main account.

    I (14m) live with my dad since forever, my mom abandoned us when I was a toddler and we haven't heard of her since. Better for us, I don't care and never did.

    My grandma (my father's mother) was always toxic with me as a kid with stuff like giving me lousy gifts and snarky remarks sometimes. Dad cut contact with her over an incident that I honestly didn't really cared (something about a house), I was only happy to get away from her. She always insulted me, and told me my mom was a who*e.

    The thing is she contacted me though social media a couple of days ago and told me she had evidence to free my father from me by making the authorities take me away because my father isn't really mine. I took the bait and asked her what she meant and she said that she made a DNA test kit with me a couple of years ago and when the results came back I didn't match with her so that means that I am not my father's son. I'm freaking out, I don't remember ever giving her any blood or something to make the test (I have no idea how those things work).

    I only want to know is what happens if it's true and my DNA doesn't match with my dad's? Can the authorities really take me away over that?? I mean, if I don't match with my grandmother it would make sense I don't match with my dad.

    Edit: I'm from Córdoba Argentina. I know, most people here are from the US but I couldn't find other sub like this one.

    submitted by /u/ThrowRA_8391
    [link] [comments]

    My landlord says I'm not allowed to use the porch that exists only to get into my apartment

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 10:12 AM PDT

    So I'm renting an apartment in an old victorian house. The lady who owns it lives on the first floor and my apartment is in the back half of the second floor. The entrance to my apartment is an outside staircase in the back of the house and there's a small (3ftx 6ft) porch between the stairs and my door. Upon viewing the apartment I was told that the main front porch and back yard were not for my use, fine, but the little back porch was advertised as part of my apartment (obviously, it only exists to get to my door).

    I recently hung up a pride flag on my porch and very quickly got an email from my landlord saying that I need to take it down and I'm not allowed to use any outside space or have any outside decorations. There is no mention of outside space or decorations at all in my lease, I checked. I feel like I'm within my right to keep it up but I'm ok with taking it down to appease her. (and maybe hang it inside my storm door? That's technically inside)

    But now she's saying that my front door porch is considered outside space therefore I can't use it even though the agent who showed the apartment said I could and there's no mention of it in the lease. I've been living here for 1.5 months and put a little chair and some twinkly lights and plants out there almost immediately.

    Legally, there's nothing stopping me from using my porch, right?

    Edit: I'm in SE Pennsylvania

    submitted by /u/punk_princesss
    [link] [comments]

    I got bit badly by a rescue dog

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    I live in Chesapeake, Va. I was badly bitten on my neck by a dog we adopted and required about 30 stitches. For the back story, a couple posted the dog on a rehoming page because they said they couldn't care for him any more. They said he was a good, well behaved dog that was great with older kids and cats. They disclosed that they adopted the dog from an animal rescue, and were under a contract with them, where if they couldn't care for the dog, they would surrender him back to the rescue. The rescue told them that they did not have room for the dog, and told them to try to rehome him. We responded to the post about the dog and talked to the owner. We also talked to the animal rescue person about him, who said he was a really good dog and they never had any problems with him. The rescue person said we could sign a new adoption contract and adopt him if we wanted. We met the owners, the dog seemed really good, so we signed and brought him home. We had him for a week or so and everything was good. Thursday, my son was sitting on the couch with the dog. I kneeled down to pet the dog when he growled and lunged at my neck and tore it open. My 12 year old son witnessed the whole thing. My wife took me to the ER where they cleaned the bite and stitched it up. We contacted the rescue and told them what happened, and told them we have to surrender the dog. They told us they didn't have room, and it would be up to us to rehome him again. They then went on to say that he must have done it because he was being protective of my son or because I was provoking him. We called city animal control and surrendered the dog to them. Because of the severity of the bite, they said he would be quarantined for 2 weeks. My wife did some poking around on the rescue's website and found more information. About this dog. He bit a previous owner's daughter in the face where she required stitches, which was not disclosed to us by the rescue. I apologize for the lengthy backstory, but wanted to try to get the facts in there. My questions are: What will happen if the rescue tries to sue us for breach of contract for not rehoming the dog? We did not feel safe with the dog in the house and immediately had animal control take him. My other question: Is the animal rescue negligent in not disclosing to us that this dog attacked someone before? He bit a teenaged girl and knew that we have a preteen son in the house.

    submitted by /u/Amishoutkast
    [link] [comments]

    My abusive birth parents took advance premium tax credits under my name and didn't report it. IRS wants me to pay for it.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 08:18 AM PDT

    long story short, my birth parents were child-molesters and extremely abusive, so many many years ago, before starting college, i went to live with another family. all that time my birth parents continued to fraudulently claim me in their taxes, and won with the argument that i was in college and still dependent on them, despite them not paying a cent for me. we fought this for years to no avail.

    fast forward to 2019. i finally make a pitiful amount of money as a stay-at-home freelance artist (disabled) and file independently. income was less than $2k for the whole year and i was surviving (poorly) on savings. three months later, the IRS says i owe them money for taking premium tax credit (which i didn't) unless i get them a 1095-A (which i don't have).

    explained the situation to IRS, clarifying my birth parents likely took the money and ran, and that if i am on a 1095-A i would not have access to that information as i have never been a policyholder on the marketplace. and even if i did illegally obtain someone else's 1095-A, it is the policyholder responsibility that they must file and show they allocated the credits to themselves.

    well, the people at the IRS told me i was crazy and didn't understand shit. i called several times and they all gaslighted me to hell, calling me a criminal if i don't get a 1095-A from NYS of Health. i called NYS of Health, they said the IRS is crazy, and that i am 100% correct. my birth parents didn't report the money they took from me, and because i am not their dependent, irs went after me (the wrong person). since i can't get the forms from violent child molesters, they said that if the irs refuses to do their job, my only other avenue is to see legal aid.

    so now what? keep in mind i only have a few hundred dollars in the bank, and i didn't get the stimulus payment because of this fiasco.

    edit: thank you so much for the responses so far. it means everything to me.

    submitted by /u/shynadeshiko
    [link] [comments]

    My parents say I owe $7,000 in student loans. But my college website says I own $0

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    Hello! I posted this post on r/advice I was told to post this on here. Hello! I am a 21 f college student. I live with my mom. I have a dog that if I move I want to take her with me. Because I am afraid something bad will happen if I let her stay with my mom. I have a job that asked how much student loans I own on the tax form. I showed my grandparents and partner that I own $0 on my college website yesterday. But today my mom yelled at me saying I owner $7,000 in student loans. And that the college uses another company to do the student loans. I looked again on the website it showed I owned $0. I dont know where she is getting that money...... Before covid my mom used my insurance because she says that my insurance is cheaper then hers. And she uses my name on some bills. During covid she wanted to call the IRA to see why I was not getting the money. And act like me. I told her no. She did it anyway. I emailed my college financial aid and asked them how much I student loans I owe. I am afraid that she is using my name...I dont know what to do....

    submitted by /u/citiestarlights
    [link] [comments]

    dad trying to take back 13 months worth of child support

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 07:06 AM PDT

    I (19F) live in ontario, I'm a university student but I am living about 4 hours away from home for school. My parents have been separated since I was four and my dad has always paid child support to my mum. It's a decent amount since their incomes are so drastically different. I don't know much about their custody order, as far as I know it was pay child support until 18 unless I'm still in school (which I am) then it's 25 (I think that's how most are). Today my mum called and said that I need to get all of my transactions since last August to prove that the child support money has been going to things that i need and not to her. They've been fighting over child support since I was 15. At first it was my dad trying to lessen the amount to pay in child support (although my mums income has only gotten lower and my dads has gotten higher since the custody order was made), then it was trying to stop it all together, now it's trying to get me and my mum to pay it back entirely. can he even do this? obviously a little since he's trying to. Idk what to do, court hasn't ordered us to pay it back yet. I'm just really scared honestly. What are the odds of this actually turning out in his favour? I'll edit with more info that I know as comments come in or as I learn more.

    Sorry if I used the wrong flair, I wasn't sure if it would be divorce and family or dependency pls tell me if I used the wrong one

    edit 1: 13 months would be a little under $10kCAD

    submitted by /u/zapsteph
    [link] [comments]

    Electrician I hired to hook up a new hot tub did it incorrectly and now is calling me multiple times a day and being very aggressive.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    I bought a new hot tub and arranged an electrician. He sent his son (not sure if he was licensed). I specially asked for a 60 amp breaker and told them it was a 3 wire install. They installed a 50 amp and hooked it up with 4 wires. They were looking at the wrong spot in the manual and also ignored a big orange sticker on the electrical board saying to NOT hook up 4 wires. The tub does not turn on and never did. The tub manufacturer said the incorrect install caused damage but won't know how much until a tech comes out to evaluate and fix it. I told the electrician that I'd like the 60 amp breaker installed as I asked and that I would pay him once the repair cost is known. I agreed to pay the quoted amount minus the repair costs as his incorrect installation caused the damage. I only asked that we wait until the tech can come out which is in a week.

    He is now calling and texting me multiple times a day calling me all kinds of names and being really aggressive. I'm honesty concerned that he's going to come to my house and do something with how he's talking. I don't know what to do or even what option I have at this point. Thank you in advance for anyone that would be able to help guide me.

    submitted by /u/cptspaulding19
    [link] [comments]

    Neighborhood kids harassing my house and my niece and I

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 02:39 PM PDT

    I live in a town house complex and moved in about five months ago.

    There was a group of usually five kids and they were boys, age range from 6-12 and they started around the third month to cat call us whenever we'd be leaving our house or entering they would literally yell every day or every other day "hey sexy ladies sit on my dick" over and over if they saw us. I ignored this and told my niece to as well.

    Well, we got a cat and somehow they found out and that group of five boys and three new girls were ringing my doorbell over and over and I literally wanted to freak out bc the way they rang my door bell was fucking ignorant. I answered my door they asked to see my cat I said no and to not come to my house again or ring my doorbell and shut my door.

    They still continued to yell sexual things to me or my niece and the most fucked up thing happened I woke up from a nap around 6pm with rocks being thrown at my window, my doorbell being rung 30 times and when I got up the little girl was trying to pry open my living room window and one of the boys were trying to open my nieces window in the basement to make it worse there was the five boys the two girls and like three other new kids and my niece was just coming in and when they saw her they all ran away.

    I live alone in a big place with just me and her I'm 26 she is 14 and they know that. They know that we're small and that we live alone and I'm seriously so fucking irked bc my area is a good area and is exactly why I moved here for a nice neighborhood for my niece and now I have a bunch of bastard children harassing my house for no reason.

    I haven't done anything yet I'm not sure what to do I don't know where these kids live but I know their new to Canada and not used of the fucking rules since

    Any ideas what I could do should I make a police report and will that do anything ???

    submitted by /u/mapleleafsordie
    [link] [comments]

    Fired for COVID-19? Is this legal? (South Dakota)

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    I (M21) worked at a local tobacco and cigar shop since last November, and I really enjoyed it. Everything was great except the owner/manager. It wasn't uncommon for him to show up in an awful mood and be an asshole to everybody(including customers at times.) Over the 8 months I worked there I had watched 10+ people get fired and so I always felt like I was walking on ice. We were all to work 7 days a week, and I was regularly doing ~60 hours a week. (I know this is fucked I just didn't realize how bad it truly was.) I received 4 days off this year. Total.

    Regardless, I worked my ass off because I loved the clientele and I learned everything about the business and soon I was manager. That is until about two weeks ago, I started feeling ill at work. The next day I felt worse and my girlfriend urged me to test for COVID, so I did. And it came back positive. The state department of health told me to quarantine for 10 days, you know the deal. So I called my boss and told him the results. He asked for my keys and said I was done. No explanation. Is this illegal? I also never received overtime pay. I know for a fact this is illegal. My question is: Is there anything i can use here to get the overtime money I was never paid? Or some sort of compensation for being fired for having COVID? This seems ridiculous. Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks.

    TL;DR After 8 months of nearly no days off, lack of overtime pay, I was fired as manager for testing positive for COVID-19 and having to quarantine. What?!

    submitted by /u/jaesanch
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate forces me to keep paying rent

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    Hey

    I'm in a pretty tricky situation. I have a roommate that refuses to move out of an apartment with a lease that expired in August this year. I moved out myself, but they're forcing me to keep paying rent as they won't sign a form that releases me from the contract. To me it's weird how they have to "release" me, when the leasing period already finished.

    On the lease it says that it "shall commence until 08/31/2020, at which time thereafter shall become a month to month tenancy upon written approval of the landlord.",

    so it clearly says that in order to extend the lease and pay monthly after expiration, you need a written approval of the landlord. I don't know if the remaining roommate applied for an extension of the lease, but if they did it was most certainly without my consent. I have NOT requested nor signed anything regarding prolonging the lease. To me, this sounds pretty illegal?

    I have sent my 30 day notice of terminating, both emailed and called the office, but they simply tell me that in order for them to release me, my remaining roommate needs to fill in a release form and prove that they would be able to finance the rent themselves (which they refuse to do). Until then, the company claims that I'm obligated to keep paying rent.

    I've moved to a new place I'm paying rent for, I cannot afford to pay to 2 rents and even if I did, I obviously don't want to. The remaining roommate isn't planning on leaving anytime soon, they're planning to keep chilling where they are, and have me pay part of the rent. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to break free from this horrific situation? (The landlord couldn't care less and keeps telling me that in order for me to "go", remaining tenant must release me from responsibility and income qualify on their own)

    submitted by /u/functionalfood
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Tree company stated in job quote that they would "chip and remove all debris" yet left a large pile of uncut branches & stumps in my yard. They want extra now to haul it away, but wouldn't the wood in this picture constitute "all debris"? Pic in comments.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    I’m believe I’m not being paid minimum wage for working hours. Oregon

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    I work for a very large company here in Oregon in the health field.

    I work on-call for them regularly, I am compensated at $3.00 an hour which is called, "stand-by time". Where I wait and if a call comes in, I take it.

    I have to stay in the area, with my phone with me, I am not allowed to consume alcohol, and I have a time limit to return patient calls.

    During these calls I use my knowledge and work skills to assist patients, as well as triage whether or not I need to leave and assist them in person or if someone else needs to assist them. I use company programs and other information to come to these conclusions.

    I feel like during those time when I am on the phone, spending many hours of my weekend to assist people should be reimbursed at my regular rate, or at very least minimum wage.

    I am told that since I am not going to see the patients, that it is still considered, "stand by time" and I continue to be reimbursed at $3.00 an hour. So I could spend 3-4 hours of my day making and returning calls and not be able to take care of my personal errands, and I'm still only making $3.00 an hour.

    My issue is I hold medical health licenses, and it seems like if Im having a conversation I could possibly be sued for, and I'm putting my licenses on the line, that I should receive appropriate compensation, not stand by time. It isn't "standing by" if I'm engaged in trouble shooting.

    Can someone tell me if I'm correct, and how this should be handled?

    submitted by /u/claytonbisgsbytwo
    [link] [comments]

    I would like to finally speak out publicly about a sexual assault at the hands of a boss five years ago, but I’m concerned about potential libel laws

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    TW: description of sexual assault

    In September, 2015, when I was 21, I accepted a serving job at a small but popular restaurant/ bar in Vancouver, BC. From the beginning, the boss/ owner made me very uneasy, but I had worked in the restaurant industry for a few years at that point and had begun to accept that a creepy boss came with the territory.

    I went for a trial shift and was trained another young woman, a few years older than myself. The shift went well enough, and I was told at the end (by the boss) that if I wanted the job, it was mine. After I was off the clock, he poured a round of shots for himself, some patrons, and me, to "celebrate my new job". He offered one to the bartender whom I'd shadowed, however she very nervously declined and hurried out.

    My first and last shift was a couple days later. I showed up at 4pm (opening) and proceeded to work until 1am without a break. Throughout the shift, I was subjected to numerous displays of ridicule and harassment: one particular comment stands out, in which the boss told me to remove my blazer so that I "didn't look like such a f*cking Mormon" as well as being told to "let {my} hair down like it was in the interview, because {I} looked sexier that way". Not that it matters, but I have very long curly hair, and was serving food, so even just by health standards, it was a ridiculous ask.

    For about four hours during my shift, I was also working with another young woman (the only other employee that day) who, while polite, kept her head down the entire time, and seemed to shirk away whenever the boss was nearby. At around 8 or 9, he let her depart, offering her a drink as she gathered her belongings. She declined and scurried out very quickly, much like the previous bartender I'd worked with. The next few hours were increasingly stressful. I hadn't yet familiarized myself with their computer system, and the entire time, the boss was drinking at the bar with patrons and the band that was performing that night. I kept having to approach him to ask about specific menu items/ a new computer system, meanwhile balancing bussing, deep cleaning, and sometimes even flipping burgers; all-the-while, he'd laugh and make a lewd comment about me to a nearby regular. By the end of my shift, I was near tears, and had decided internally that this was not a job I wanted to continue.

    As I was closing the register, there were still several regular patrons lingering, and the boss told me that we would be having an after-party. At that point, I was absolutely exhausted, but when he pulled me aside, he told me if I did well here, I would be making a thousand dollars a week in tips, and that getting to know both him and the regulars was part of the job. For a 21 year old living in downtown Vancouver, the draw of getting a grand in cash alone was enough to make me concede, and I proceeded to have a drink with them. Afterwards, he closed the bar, and asked that I accompany him to the next-door establishment, telling me that I "needed to experience the competition" if I was to work for him. He bought us a couple more rounds, and at that point, I began to black out.

    What I do remember afterwards, is that it was very late, and he convinced me to let him drive me home, despite my protests. He had been drinking since at least 5, and I did Not want to get in the car with him, but I needed to cross the bridge, and I was drunk and out of options, and he was insistent. I do not remember the car ride, but I do remember him following me into my apartment. I immediately went to throw up, and it was when I exited the washroom that he grabbed me and began to kiss me. I've experienced sexual assault before, and my guttural reaction to that kind of experience seems to be freeze; and so, I froze, and he then carried me into my bedroom, undressed me, took off his own pants, and assaulted me with his fingers. My memory is a bit jolted because of the alcohol, but I remember his aggressiveness. I remember being in pain, and lying as stiffly as I could in the hopes that he would take my non-reaction as non-consent. He then tried to climb properly on top of me, and it was at that point that I worked up the energy to protest. Shockingly, he obliged, put on his pants, and left.

    The next morning I woke up naked, hungover, and disoriented. When I finally looked at myself in the mirror, I had bruises on my lips from where he'd kissed me so aggressively, as well as scratches all down my body. I was in shock.

    It honestly didn't occur to me at that point to call the police and report him. My previous experience with reporting an assault was pretty traumatic, and I couldn't help thinking back to all the episodes of SVU I'd seen where the victim ends up being on trial for their sexual history/ mental health. It was a couple years before the Me Too movement, and I thought I was too culpable at each step of letting this happen, to have any sort of prosecutable case.

    In the aftermath, he texted me multiple times. My friend ended up quitting harshly for me over the phone, while insisting he mail me my cheque, rather than (as he kept insisting) I come for the cash. He eventually Did relent, but the prospect of receiving an envelope of money directly from him made me feel dirty, as well as wonder whether he was so persistent in his refusal to write a cheque, because he didn't want a paper trail.

    It's been five years since this incident, and each year I write an anonymous review on his restaurant's Trip Advisor and Yelp, and each time, they get removed because of policy. I think back to my experience, and I reflect on the two other women who worked there. They were both 20-somethings with student visas, from Mexico and Brazil (if my memory serves me), both vulnerable, and clearly terrified of him. I reflect on it not just because of my own trauma, but because I know I cannot have been his first, and I see how he deliberately selected women whom he knew wouldn't have a voice. I've read reviews in the past from others who have been in my position, though to a lesser degree; those reviews no longer exist; the cheque has long since been cashed and torn up; the photos I took of my bruised lips and scratched thighs remain on some broken hard drive on a long discarded phone. I have no evidence, and I hate myself for not taking screen shots, for not going to the police, for being concerned with self preservation rather than potential future victims, of whom I'm sure exist.

    I'm so sorry this has been such a long post, to anyone has made it this far, or has read this to begin with. I didn't intend for it to be so detailed and rambling, but I found myself needing to include as much context as possible, in an attempt to be believed, as well as perhaps possible catharsis in writing it out on a platform that won't refuse to post. My legal question is, with no evidence existing at this point, and five years on- am I able to call him out publicly without being subject to potential threatens of libel? I doubt he'd even so much as remember my name, as it was only one and a half shifts I worked for him, though because of the fact that sites like Trip Advisor won't post my reviews, I'm finding it hard to find a platform where I can remain anonymous and still get the word out. I'm not opposed to having my identity displayed, and were there not these questions, I would have done it by now. At this point, if I had sufficient evidence, or any, for that matter, I would go to the cops as well, however I no longer reside in Vancouver, and have no plans to return anytime soon.

    Even if nothing amounts to it, legally or otherwise, I would like to make my story heard, if only because I know he continues to be a predator, and is in the perfect position to do so.

    Again, I'm sorry for such a long post- it's my first; but thank you, to anyone who reads or responds.

    submitted by /u/peach-plum-pear11
    [link] [comments]

    Thousands in no show fees???

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    My family member was going to a therapist and would always be on time. They scheduled an appointment and did not show up because in the hospital and then a mental hospital where they stayed for weeks. She expected the no show fee for that missed appointment but in the mail received a $6000 bill on no show fees from appointments they kept scheduling without confirmation and just kept scheduling them on their own. They were being difficult about addressing the whole issue. What are the options in this situation? This is in Virginia

    submitted by /u/AdSad2970
    [link] [comments]

    Is there some kind of contract that roommates can sign with each other regarding how much rent they owe each towards a joint lease?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    Im in a 4bd apartment and looking for roommates to sign the lease with. I understand that the lease would make as all liable for the full rent so if one person didnt pay their share, the other 3 of us would still technically be liable.

    Is there something that would be considered legit that we could sign in addition to a lease that would make us each liable for our share of the rent, in the event that one did not pay? I know it wouldnt change the relationship between all of us to the landlord, but is there something that would allow us to be able to make a claim from a nonpaying roommate or their guarantor, for their share, if the others ended up having to pay the landlord for the nonpaying tenant's share?

    submitted by /u/whut_this_for
    [link] [comments]

    [WA] Neighbors are ruining my car

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 08:05 AM PDT

    My neighbors are working on restoring some old car in their drive away, and that often means they're welding something. Problem is, our driveways are pretty much connected and the sparks from their work is hitting my car. I didn't notice damage until I saw the passenger side window had some black marks on it. The window is covered in burn/melted marks. I've called the cops twice now when I've seen them welding right next to my car (non-emergency number), first time they just came out there and told them to stop. Second time the cops just said there was nothing they could do, the officer stated that unless they start a fire, then they're just being a nuisance which isn't a illegal I guess.

    Thing is it's not even my neighbor doing it, it's his friends. They often work on it from 12pm to sometimes 2am at night. These aren't the most standup of people either, neighbor spent some time in prison for meth among other things and his friends give off the same vibe. But regardless I don't know what to do, can I go after my neighbor for the damages? I have a few of these instances on camera of them welding right next to my car and you can see the sparks hitting my car. Is it even worth the cost of trying to after them? Really could use some advice.

    submitted by /u/f3llop4nda
    [link] [comments]

    ��Landlord Setting off Fire Alarm Multiple Times a Day �� (NJ)

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 02:11 PM PDT

    My landlord has been setting off our fire alarms multiple times a day, sometimes even in the dead of night. This has been going on for months, and I've had no traction with the city. This alarm has a speaker in my apartment and I measured it at 110dB at ear height in the middle of the apartment. Staggeringly, panic-inducingly LOUD. Try that at 3AM...phew. This has absolutely caused hearing loss for myself or others in the building. My dog has serious hearing loss as well. This year we actually HAD a fire and nobody evacuated, because we just all assumed it was a false alarm.

    They're somehow able to do this without the fire department showing up to fine them. I assume because they suppress it in under x seconds or similar.
    I am moving out - I understand my rights to put rent in escrow due to violating the warrant of habitability... but do I or other tenants have to actually get damages for the loss of use of our apartments this year, or the potential damage to our health(physical and mental)from noise this loud? This is a working class building, and many folks here are forced to home school their kids in this environment. "Just move" is not necessarily safe advice to give during a pandemic, as viewing units has cost me a meaningful amount of money and risk to do. Moving out/in will cost thousands of dollars in NJ. Can we get damages for the cost incurred by this landlord forcing out residents?

    submitted by /u/orb_king
    [link] [comments]

    My company is pulling my father's child support payment out of my check

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    So I got a letter in the mail today about a child support order. I pay child support on my 2 children so I wasn't to concerned, however my company sent a copy of the order and it's for my father's back child support on my brother. Do I need to call the state of my employer to get this corrected?

    I don't make a lot and $150 is a 1/5th of my check... I had to borrow money to be able to get to work and pay bills... This is ridiculous

    submitted by /u/BreachedandCleared
    [link] [comments]

    Is pulling ips illegal

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 09:54 PM PDT

    My new neighbor is a nightmare and I don't know what to do.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    I live on the far northside of Chicago in a residential neighborhood in a two flat that I am paying the mortgage on. Most of the houses on the block are single family homes and two flats but the building next to me is an apartment building (4-6 units).

    It was purchased within the last two years by a woman whose original intention was to move her whole family into the building but when she realized the place was essentially a dilapidated rat infested mess she decided it would be better, in the short term, to simply collect rent from tenants and abandon any upkeep.

    TRASH:

    When she first bought the place she came over and very politely introduced herself to my family and I and asked if she could use one of our garbage cans to dispose of some stuff a previous tenant left behind. I said she could use only one because we needed the others. She proceeded to wait until late that night and then under the cover of darkness filled both garbage cans and both recycling bins with trash. I had to call the city to come empty them on an off day.

    I quickly learned that her eldest son and I had a mutual friend. When I asked that friend what the deal was with this woman, he said she had a reputation for being unscrupulous. I tried to speak with her and her son about the matter several times but they always had some excuse as to why their needs were more important than mine. Very quickly, the rat problem grew because she wouldn't pay her private garbage collection fees. On July 4th of this year, she went three weeks without paying for trash pickup and the overflow was so bad that you could smell it in every corner of my house. It was even worse for the tenants living there and their children. When I tried to reach out to her son through our mutual friend he refused to cooperate with me and refused to put me in contact with his mother. I informed him that I had no choice but to involve the city. I called streets and sanitation and they came out, took care of the problem, and fined her for the problem.

    I'm guessing as an act of revenge, she waited until late the following night and proceeded to open a bag of garbage and spill it over the fence and into my yard. I caught it and cleaned it up before streets and sanitation showed up the next morning claiming they had been called about a trash problem in my yard by an anonymous person.

    I have been working closely with the ward superintendent on this matter. He continually fines her on almost a weekly basis but had also expressed some deep frustration over her behavior and the level of disrespect her son showed him when he tried to amicably reach out and discuss the matter.

    CONSTRUCTION:

    She seems to finally be gearing up to move her family in at some point in the future. Currently she is building a sizable expansion to her back stairs and porch and it appears that she is doing it without a permit and the general construction site seems very dangerous for the children living there. The noise is another matter. It's becoming virtually impossible to study or work properly from home. Add to that the fact that she has now built two stories of new porches which now places anyone within mere inches of windows on the side of my house. We are already considering getting bars put on the windows which is something we never wanted or needed until now. I believe she is less than ten days away from finishing which will also block out a considerable amount of natural sunlight in our upstairs apartment.

    I sent an email to the the city building department and they said they would look into it a few weeks ago but so far I've heard nothing else back and she is continuing to build. I don't know what else to do.

    DRUG DEALERS:

    We have had a problem over the last two years with an increasing presence of young people hanging out on the corner while both doing and dealing drugs. For the first year people called the police constantly but they never seemed to respond other than the occasional drive-by or to station a squad car on the corner for a bit but eventually the police stopped coming by all together. The groups of kids grew and eventually it led to violence and shootings. There has been 4 shootings on or around my block due to these kids this year. People,including myself, finally started to run these kids off their property but the one place they found safe harbor was on the front stoop of this woman's building next door. She is simply never here and doesn't seem to care when she is. So they sit there all day, getting high and drunk, blasting music, and causing trouble. The police and the alderman no longer seem to respond to people's complaints about the matter.

    CONCLUSION:

    Again, I no longer know what to do or where to turn. There are other matters like property damage and trespassing but I don't have proof to back up my claims and for the sake of some brevity I only discussed the most important issues. Any advice anyone may have would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how to get her to pay for trash pickup if she doesn't even seem deterred by steep fines. I don't know how to get her to deny access to her property by these drug dealers. And I don't know how to put a stop on this construction project. Currently we are looking at a potential $10,000 just to secure our property with new fences, bars, and security cameras. I'm at a total loss for what to do next or how to get help. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Rusty_Shackleford_5
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment