• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 13, 2020

    Legal Advice - My school lost an item irreplaceable to me while moving my belongings from my dorm over the summer without my consent. (Florida)

    Legal Advice - My school lost an item irreplaceable to me while moving my belongings from my dorm over the summer without my consent. (Florida)


    My school lost an item irreplaceable to me while moving my belongings from my dorm over the summer without my consent. (Florida)

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    After spring break, my school decided that classes would shift from in-person to online, and that students were to move out. Initially, my school informed us that we had until April 19th to retrieve our belongings from our dorms. I arranged plans to retrieve my belongings before this date, but on April 1st there was a state-order to stay in place, and students (myself included) were told that we would not be able to retrieve our belongings until at least May 1st. On April 17th, my school sent an email to students informing us that our belongings were being moved. This was troubling to me, because I knew that I had things in my dorm that were irreplaceable to me, especially a pillow that was made by my dad who died when I was 15. I emailed them the same day expressing that I would not like my belongings touched at all. They plainly ignored this, saying they need to move belongings, and informing me that I would be contacted later on as to where I could retrieve my items.

    Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, I've moved back into a new dorm, after having retrieved what I thought was all my belongings on May 4th, and I realize that my pillow made by my dad is missing. I email my school's housing department, explaining my previous room and the details of my missing pillow. I did not receive a reply until 2 days ago, Friday, and only after pestering them several times that I had not even been acknowledged. I was informed that the housing department has not found my pillow in their storage areas or any other boxes labeled for my room, and that they will exhaust all search possibilities in another attempt tomorrow, Monday.

    Needless to say I am enraged at the carelessness they've shown with misplacing my belonging, but what's more I suspect that my pillow has been thrown away, as most mattress pads (including my own) were not returned and were thrown away. I would like to know if I have any options for finding compensation from my school if my priceless item was lost, and especially if it was disposed of without consultation or even notification.

    submitted by /u/Sebas-JHIN
    [link] [comments]

    My Position Was Eliminated: 1 Month Later My Name and Title Still Being Advertised On Website

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 05:15 AM PDT

    I am a chef. 1 month ago my business eliminated my position and sent me packing. My name and title are still being used on the their website to advertise a place I do not work. I built the name and reputation of the business over the last 5 years.

    I have alerted them and asked to be removed from all materials and websites but have been ignored.

    Do I have any recourse?

    submitted by /u/donkeydinner
    [link] [comments]

    New landlord delayed our move-in by over a month, then when he says we can finally move in, the apartment still needs repairs and cleaning

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 05:41 AM PDT

    We signed the lease back in July for a newly renovated unit. At this point we also paid them a large deposit, and first + last months rent. The lease says our move-in date is August 15th. With little warning, the landlord continuously delayed this date by a few days, then a week, then two weeks, then almost 4 weeks. After receiving confirmation over email and over the phone that our unit would be "all set", we finally tried to move in yesterday (12th of September). Only when we get there we find out from a builder that the unit still needed to have the microwave, sink, and bedroom windows replaced. Also, the entire place smelled and felt like a construction site, like it had been swept up but none of the floors or surfaces had been properly washed. The builder says they were storing all their tools and equipment in our unit during renovations of the other units, which I suspect is why it seemed so dusty.

    So obviously, the landlord has violated the terms of the lease and failed multiple times to live up to their promises. For us this is a red flag that we should have seen a long time ago, and we want out. We want to terminate the lease and get all of our money back, but we're not sure if we really have grounds to take them to small claims court and both of us are nervous about getting involved with that on the chance that we can't get our money back and we go further into debt with the cost of legal help.

    submitted by /u/Commercial_Memory_88
    [link] [comments]

    Do I call the cops or talk to my daughter first (possible molestation)

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    My mom just called and told me she believes something has happened between my daughter (6) and brother in law (26) my daughter was spending the night with my mom and my sister and her fiance were spending the day there. My mom believes she saw my brother in law touching or rubbing himself on my daughter, she said my daughter was pushing away from him. She says he immediately got up and awkwardly said he needed to feed the cats and went home, my mom said he had an errection. My mom asked my daugher if he had done anything and my daughter immediately said no and got in the shower. I have never felt more guilty, angry, or hurt in my life and don't want that to cloud my judgment. I am on my way to get her. Do I call the cops now? Do I speak with my child and ask if she wants to tell me something? Go to his house and tell him he needs to call the police and tell them what he's done. I dont wanna mess this up. Location Mississippi

    submitted by /u/makin_bac0n
    [link] [comments]

    My mother is printing and distributing my dad's criminal record (along with his girlfriend's) in the town they live in.

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    Okay this is kind of a wacky one. Basically my dad is having a breakdown due to this and losing his job due to COVID. This happened in MI. My mother has a history and a half (read my post history, she is abusive but no criminal record) but she still got alimony. My dad has a record of DUI and assault that happened when they were married. Basically my mom has been distributing my dad's criminal record along with his girlfriend (no idea what she's done) in his super tiny hometown. Like standing downtown with fliers with his full name DOB and his criminal record. He has lived there all his life and it's an incredibly tiny community where everyone knows each other. I feel like I could see this as something that is illegal or legal, like it could be that she is just using her free speech or this could be something like slander? It is true and it is public record. I just want to give my dad a launching point because I feel like it's kind of a grey area.

    submitted by /u/tavlove
    [link] [comments]

    An adult man (20's) has been giving/selling vapes and marijuana to my 12 year old sister and her friends

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 04:56 PM PDT

    Location: USA, North Carolina

    My half-sister has had difficulty dealing with not having her father around. We share the same mother. I'm 25, and I've been like a second mother to her since she was born. My mother and I have noticed that she's been running with a bad crowd and decided to catch her off-guard and take her computer while she was still logged on. We had already confiscated her phone and put her on restriction.

    I noticed that she had her Snapchat login information saved into the browser. Like any person trying to figure out why their smart, bright young sister was skipping homework assignments and getting into trouble, I logged in, changed the password to her Snapchat so I could open the app on my phone. Sorry, that might be confusing to some of you unfamiliar with the app.

    We found vapes of various kinds in her room a few weeks ago. Mostly cheap $15 disposable ones. More than anything I wanted to get to the bottom of where she was getting these things from. To my horror, it wasn't long before I found messages from a guy named Bob. She messaged him asking if he could bring her some "nic"

    He told her that he was broke and didn't have enough gas to get all the way to our house, but she reassured him that she would pay for his gas if he came by our house first. She gave him our address. He came by our house, picked up the $30 she stole from our wallets, went to a head shop to buy the vapes, and then brought them back to her. It's all in the messages.

    This meant he was old enough to drive and was old enough to buy tobacco (21 in the US). It didn't take long for me to connect the dots between him and a conversation I had with my sister a few weeks ago about some guy that worked at a fast food chain restaurant. She said he was a creepy guy that talked to all of her friends, but primarily one named Anna (14). She brought it up in a way that made me think he was some teenager, but I was wrong.

    I immediately confronted her and she went into more detail about this creep. She confessed that she was afraid of him because he has a short temper, and her friend Anna was deeply involved with him. Apparently he picks Anna up in his van sometimes, and one of the times recently things went "bad" between them. Anna refused to tell my sister any more than that. Anna lives in our neighborhood, and my sister explained that part of the deal was that she gave Anna one of the vapes he dropped off.

    My sister explained that since he's an alcoholic and works in fast food, he's broke and has a group of young girls and boys he threatens for these vapes so they get them any way possible. He'll take the vapes from them and give them to Anna and her younger sister because he has a crush on both of them and wants to control them. He also gives them marijuana. He has mentioned to these girls that he thinks age is just a number.

    I confronted him as soon as I saw those messages, and maybe I shouldn't have. I was so upset though. I called him a loser for getting gas money from a 12 year old girl. I told him never to contact her again. I plan on deleting that Snapchat profile anyways, but I'm keeping it as long as I need to for evidence.

    I plan on going to the authorities, but I realistically wanted to know what would happen. I have one of the vapes he gave her, the messages from his Snapchat profile to her, and I know where he works.

    My sister agreed to answer any questions the police may have regarding him. I know when his shifts are, so I planned on waiting for him to drive in tomorrow so I could get his plate number. I don't know his last name. I feel so helpless.

    If the authorities are no help, I want to go into the restaurant and speak with his manager when he's not there. I know they can't really do anything to him legally, but it might make me feel better knowing that they know what a creep he is.

    Do I need more to get the attention of police?

    submitted by /u/Endless_Ivy
    [link] [comments]

    Family member in charge of my trust fund for when I’m 18 took all the money

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 09:00 AM PDT

    There was a fight in the family and the person took all the money. I went to where the fund was and they said there was nothing there. We haven't spoken in a few years due to the fight and I'm assuming that's why even though I had nothing to do with it. Would I be able to get a lawyer and get the money? I've contacted her and she has not responded. I live in Rhode Island

    submitted by /u/avidbirdwatcher1
    [link] [comments]

    3 young women feeling taken advantage of in NYC / Just moved in and apartment renovations incomplete

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 07:21 AM PDT

    We moved in Sep 1 and were told the kitchen renovations would be completed by Sep 1, with a rider in our lease stating the washing machine would be installed by Sep 10.

    It is now Sep 13 and while the stove has been connected, we still have no countertops (just open cabinetry) no kitchen sink and no washing machine. We are making do with the fridge/stove and bathroom sink. Our landlord offered us $500 off our rent, but that seems like not enough, given our total rent for our 4BR is $4500/month. He also enters without giving us advance warning, which I thought wasn't allowed.

    Any advice would be very much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/katierosep
    [link] [comments]

    Options for holding dog owner accountable. Washingtion State, Seattle Region.

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    I live in a fairly large apartment complex that has many dogs, including mine. One of my neighbors owns two dogs, one of which we have had some altercations with. His dog has bitten me once and now bitten my dog twice. His dog is a pit mix and is large. My dog is small and weighs 26 pounds. He lets both his dogs run off leash, which is against our city ordinance and our apartment complex rules. Each bite has occurred when his dog is off leash. The last bit just occured last week and I have a vet bill of several hundred dollars from stitches that were required from the injury. He has witnessed two of these incidents and denies that his dog is attacking us. I have reported all three incidents to animal control and our management. I spoke with him regarding covering my vet bills and he refuses. He finally agreed to pay half if I meet him at the dog park to socialize my animals. I am against this as I don't want to allow any more conflict between our animals. I fear I may have to take him to small claims court to hold him responsible for his animals. I'm not sure what evidence I would need. I have the animal control reports, and photos of all injuries with timestamp. Do I have a chance of winning a small claims case?

    submitted by /u/californiaroar
    [link] [comments]

    Mercedes dealership drove my vehicle nearly 200 miles in one day for a “test drive”, Charlotte, NC

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 12:26 AM PDT

    Hi, I dropped my 2020 Mercedes off at a dealership (scheduled appointment) on Thursday night to have the touch screen repaired (it wouldn't turn on). I was also getting an intermittent warning so the oil was over full. They told me they would likely do the repair Monday and gave me a loan vehicle.

    On Friday night at 7pm at closing, the service tech called my husband and asked permission to test drive the vehicle to the vicinity of Fort Mill, SC (about 15 mins away) and that they would do no more than max 100 miles. My husband expressed concern at the 100 miles but agreed to the test drive so they could try and see the oil warning.

    On Saturday morning,I woke up and GPS showed the car in York, at a house some 34 miles away. I decided to let this go for now, figuring if it returned to the dealership from there, they had added about 70 miles to the new car.

    However, on Saturday afternoon, the car started moving and ended up outside of Spartanburg, some 90 miles from the dealership, one way. While it was moving, I called the dealership and got ahold of the tech. He told me my husband gave him permission to test drive. I reminded him the drive was supposed to be Fort Mill and no more than 100 miles in the extreme end. Look, I tore him a new one to be honest. He finally admitted he let an employee take it home to use. I demanded the vehicle be returned immediately. It got back to the dealership around 10pm on Saturday night where it is locked and waiting repair now.

    It has 173 more miles on it.

    I have screen shots from its GPS.

    Plus they filled it, I have no idea with what kind of gas (I use supreme). I don't know how it was driven, if it has stone chips, what gas was used, if any damage was done.

    The service tech offered to fully valet it as compensation. I know I can't get the 173 miles off my odometer but a little wash is far from adequate. This was not a test drive but an employee flagrantly using my vehicle for the weekend.

    Where do I stand, what do I ask for as compensation, how do I know the vehicle was not thrashed while it was driven. What questions should I be asking, where do I even start please?

    submitted by /u/first_mate_wiggles
    [link] [comments]

    Woke up to an email saying the DOT was tearing my place down (tenant in a college-town townhouse)

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 09:35 PM PDT

    A couple days ago my roommates and I woke up to an email from our leasing office stating that our unit was 1 of 8 being torn down by the DOT due to expanding our street into a 2 lane road. We were told that we'd be contacted by the NC DOT about possible relocation fees, paying for moving expenses, etc.

    However, our leasing office is being very "shady" about everything. They claim they don't know anything but when I finally got in contact with the DOT, they claimed that our leasing company wouldn't give them our information to get in touch with us. My leasing company is getting millions for this deal but it seems like we are being kicked to the curb.

    We are all in college, fairly young, and have no idea what to do. Signing a lease in October/November is going to be significantly more expensive than what we are currently paying for rent. Will the DOT pay the rent difference? Should my leasing company be helping us out with anything? I'd appreciate any information/help.

    *also if this is not where I should post this please let me know!

    submitted by /u/peeniegirl12234
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get an attorney or p.i.?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    Tw suicide.

    My husband shot himself while riding in a car with someone at 11am July 18th. I've had a hard time coming to terms with it.

    I was just informed tonight, that despite him sitting in the passenger seat, the gun was found in the back seat?

    This is unsettling to me. I already have my reasons to believe he didn't do this, but hearing this has left me wondering what else the detectives may have withheld from me.

    With out going into much more detail, my only question is should I seek out an attorney? If so, what kind?

    submitted by /u/lazyhazydaze
    [link] [comments]

    I just discovered I have a warrant

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Indiana

    I got hired at a new job that ran a background check beforehand. I requested a copy of this background check and discovered that I currently have a warrant out for missing a court date. I was pulled over about four years ago and was caught with a pipe in my car. I was told that I would be charged for possession of paraphernalia. It was a basic traffic stop and I was allowed to leave the scene. I forgot about the incident for a while and when I remembered, I thought maybe it was a ticket that I had to pay, not something that I had to appear in court for, so I didn't look into it. I'm not sure why I never received a court summons, but I was in the hospital for about a month later that year and I think it might have accidentally gotten thrown away by my roommates while I was gone. I have no idea why I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise, because I lived at the same address for a year and a half after. Obviously I need to get this taken care of. It's a misdemeanor offense so I'll probably end up on probation, which is fine. But I don't want to get arrested in order to reconcile this. What's my best option to get myself a new court date without having to sit in a holding cell at any point? Or do I just need to suck it up and accept that this is going to have to result in me spending a night in jail?

    submitted by /u/jazzylovely714
    [link] [comments]

    My girlfriends mother is trying to press charges on me.

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 03:21 PM PDT

    So, my girlfriends mom is wanting to press charges on me after she found out we had sex. She is a minor and I now am an adult but at the time we had sex I was also I minor. She has text messages saying that we have smoked weed and some saying that I was under the influence of alcohol although this is completely unrelated. (We were not under the influence while we had sex and it was consenting on both sides) My girlfriend is on my side with this but her mom is pretty nuts and is grasping at straws to try to label me as a pedophile. What sort of grounds does she even have? How can I combat this?

    submitted by /u/Elynt
    [link] [comments]

    Can I be fired for not going to an unpaid meeting? [FL]

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    Hello all!

    I work at a restaurant in Florida. We have regular mandatory employee meetings as hourly employees and are not compensated for them. We have one tomorrow and I don't want to attend because it's my day to wake up late and this is the third one of the month. (I know this sounds incredibly bratty and petulant but there's more to the story). Anyway, I looked this up and if I'm reading it correct, then they have to pay us for these meetings and they don't. So my question is, if I don't go, can I be fired for not going?

    https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/wage-and-hour-laws/state-wage-and-hour-laws/florida/hours-worked/#7

    submitted by /u/hotblooded-
    [link] [comments]

    I've had harmful chemicals sprayed into my face and have partial vision loss due to broken equipment, what should I do?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 03:56 PM PDT

    Preface: I work at a large retailer in Indiana. This happened yesterday.

    I was at work when faulty equipment and lack of provided safety gear caused my face and eyes to get sprayed with harmful chemicals. The chemicals being sprayed (a disinfectant) were also not the correct chemicals that were supposed to be used. A warning on the bottle says that it causes irreversible eye damage. My vision is significantly worse now and it is painful to keep my eyes open. I've went to the eye doctor already and have another appointment in a couple of days. I'm quite upset knowing that my vision could have possible irreversible damage.

    submitted by /u/NightHawk674
    [link] [comments]

    Former roomate is refusing to collect her mail after I have asked multiple times for her to collect and change her address.

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    My former roomate has recently moved out of my house, and has never been on the lease. She has been gone for nearly a month now and has not yet changed her address, and her mail is continuing to be sent to my address. I have written to her multiple times asking her to please come collect her mail and formally change her address, and she keeps telling me she will collect it yet never shows. She has gotten belligerent with me, saying she should be allowed to keep having her mail sent to my home, to which I tell her I do not want to be responsible for her mail, nor do I want it taking up space in my home. I am unsure of what to do, and any advce is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DisastrousYellow386
    [link] [comments]

    My “neighbor” tried to break into my house

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    My "neighbor" is trying to break into my house

    I've (20F) been having some really uncomfortable interactions with the neighbors that I'm no longer feeling safe being at the property so I've been staying at my boyfriends house. I live completely alone in a small studio and only have one neighbor at my home. My neighbor is a man that looks to be in his 50s and a lady who looks to be in her 50s also. When I first moved in I was getting knocks on my door in the middle of the night but that stopped for a while so I didnt think anything of it. But just a couple days ago the lady at my neighbors started knocking on my door when it was dark out and because I'm a girly living alone I don't answer the door to anyone that I don't have plans with to come over. The knocking quickly turned into slamming and then screaming and then she continued to do both all while looking through my windows. She made songs out of the banging she was doing on my windows and it even turned into scratching. I also heard her call me a bitch and kept repeating that she was my neighbor. She said more things but I don't remember because I was so scared. When I began to hide in my bathroom she knew that I was there cause she was watching me through the windows and ran inside her house and slammed on my bathroom walls. This continued for two hours at least of her coming back and forth to slam on my doors as I hid in the corner of my kitchen. I also know that she tried to open my door because the door handle would shake rapidly through out the night. I didn't call the police cause I was worried they wouldn't be able to help me and it only make the neighbors act out on me more. So I had to call my friends to come get me and walk me to my car. When I returned to grab more things after a couple of days of not going home, my friends and I quickly realized that the neighbor was secretly watching me through my windows and when my friends and I were walking to my car she was standing there staring at us very intensely and then ran back in the house. After I contacted the landowner and explained the situation he became very upset, almost as much as me because it turns out this women isn't actually my neighbor and has been asked to leave before. I've been here since August and have seen her at the house every single day. My landowner told me that before I had moved in, he had asked the tenant who he calls "the drunk" that she had to leave. Apparently the drunk had told him that she asked her to leave weeks ago. When the woman was trying to come into my house the man was never there to stop her and I'm scared that he's encouraging her to do this. Let me also clarify that I wouldn't be as freaked out as I am if I didn't have such bizarre experiences at this place before she tried to come into my house. I've had people tell me they are my neighbors and continue to pretend when they really never were, offer me candy that's half open, and asked if I know places to get drugs. There's also an extremely strong sent that is coming from the neighbors house that when I come home I'll notice the smell has traveled into my house. My boyfriend thinks that the drunk can addicted to anything and this women has brought a suns stance for him that would keep her around. They are most definitely not sober and I don't know if I should go home and wait to call the police when it happens again, or try to break my lease, or sure my landlord. I have a roach infestation and a molding problem that I wasn't aware of before moving in. I love my life and I'm not going insane under quarantine in my own house that I feel unsafe in!

    submitted by /u/hannahsbigD
    [link] [comments]

    Austin Tx car dealer scammed me. Never gave me title, then went out of business. I'm military; trying to register in Nevada. DTP suit pending, but can I get legal help fighting DMV issues?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    This post is a bit used-car heavy, but please see my specific legal questions near the bottom of the thread. [Cross-posted in r/askcarsales, r/Austin and r/DMV]

    TLDR: Dealership didn't give me title, then went out of business. Can't get duplicate title; scared to get bonded title for fear of having to repay bond. Can't register car and temp plates expired. Neither bank/financier, nor DMV, can resolve. Scroll to bolded text near the bottom for questions.

    • Bought used car in Feb 2020. Dealership is in Austin, TX, but I'm not a Texas resident. (I'm military temporarily serving in Texas, but intend to register vehicle in Nevada.) Dealership didn't have title because they "just got the car in, but title is coming and we'll send it to the Nevada DMV ASAP." I foolishly fell for it. My bank (USAA) paid them directly, and now I repay the loan monthly to USAA. I do have a bill of sale, and other related paperwork from the transaction (we-owe, odometer statement, etc,) ... just no title.
    • I kept pinging the dealership about title/registration. They avoided me for a few weeks, saying "we're working it," but eventually they just decide to ghost me. (I don't live in Austin ... Visiting in person wasn't an easy option.)
    • I call USAA for help. They won't clawback the loan to allow me to take the car back. (Besides, dealership isn't obligated to take car back anyway.) USAA's stance is: They gave the money to me, not the dealership (even though they LITERALLY gave the money directly to the dealership.) I'm making monthly payments to USAA on a car I don't have a title for, even while USAA sends me periodic letters harassing me because they don't have the title for the loan (as the lienholder.)
    • Months go by. The temp plates the dealership gave me are expired. (Luckily, COVID-19 has caused some cities to issue waivers for expired registration, so I'm safe for now. But once the waiver expires, I won't have registration, nor temp tags.) I can purchase one 30-day tag from the DMV, but once it expires, I'll still be without registration, and the rules only allow ONE purchase of a temp tag. (I can't buy them multiple times back-to-back.)
    • I got a lawyer and also filed a complaint with Texas DMV Dealership Enforcement division. Texas Attorney General was not interested in helping; deferred to DMV. BBB is worthless. I visited my base JAG ... Military lawyers don't work these issues.
    • DMV investigator says dealership was not on the level, with multiple people having the same issue. The dealership acquired cars, but didn't make good on the titles. (I don't know exactly what this means ... Maybe the dealership financed the cars from an auction but didn't pay the auction house they bought them from?) Whatever the reason, the dealership was selling cars they knew they couldn't deliver titles on.

    (FYI: The car itself is fine. Carfax is clean, it's not salvaged; I had the car inspected before purchase, and I've been driving it since Feb, even took a cross-country road trip with no problems. I have no problems with the car itself, other than I can't register it because I don't have title.)

    • DMV investigator tells me the dealership is going out of business. (I guess they're pulling out out now before more people sue.) They weren't responsive to me anyway ... but now this means I have no hope of getting the dealership to make things right.
    • Lawyer files suit for Deceptive Trade Practices. (I'm still waiting for this to play out, but with dealer going out of business, I'm not expecting much to result from this. Maybe I win a default judgement that I can't collect.)

    I go to DMV to research options.

    • I can't request "duplicate title," because duplicate titles are for when the CURRENT owner needs a copy of the current title s/he once had. (Since I never had the title in my name, I have no proof that I'm the current owner and can't request a duplicate.)
    • I research a "bonded title," and learn that I could purchase a surety bond. This would allow me to get a bonded title, and register the car in Texas, but not Nevada. But, I also learn that in the event that someone else lays claim to the vehicle (say, the dealership, or the auction house that the dealer never paid,) then the bond will pay the previous claimant and I'd be required to repay the bondsman (while STILL replaying my USAA loan.) This would effectively make me financially liable for TWICE what I was expecting to pay for the car.
    • I complete a TX DMV form VTR-130 "Notice of Determination for a Bonded Title," and the DMV annotates that there is no lien on the vehicle. I'm supposed to use this to purchase a surety bond, but I'm holding off for now, because I'm not sure I want to do this. Lawyer also advises me to hold off going this route in hopes other solutions arise.

    My concern is that SOMEONE (either the auction house where the dealer got the car, or the dealer themselves) will claim to be the rightful owner, forcing me to repay the bond.

    • I was able to track down the previous owner, who says he traded in the vehicle to "Covert Autogroup" dealership in Dec 2019. Since I bought the car in Feb 2020, this leaves about two months where Covert must've sold the car to either the dealership or an auction. I've tried calling Covert twice ... I can't easily go there in person, and each time I call and ask for the finance/title dept, I get transferred to a voicemail that is unanswered. (Even if I was to reach a human, I doubt they will help me anyway.)

    I assume there's a reason the dealer didn't give me a title, and I need to pinpoint who might claim ownership of the car. I think I need to find who the dealer purchased the car from, and somehow get proof that they no longer have an interest in the vehicle (or, at least confirm that they DO have an interest in the vehicle, which will confirm my suspicion that I shouldn't buy a surety bond.)

    My general questions, in bold:

    If Covert Autogroup (who accepted the car from the previous owner as a trade-in) isn't responsive, how can I find out who the dealer bought the car from? (Carfax shows that a title was issued/update in Jan 2020, but has no info about to whom.)

    If I FIND them, WHAT exactly am I asking them to do that will make things right? Sign some form? Give me a letter of release of interest?

    If I choose to move forward with a bonded title, remember that I'm military and intended to register in Nevada ... Nevada won't accept bonded titles for out-of-state registrations, and I understand Texas won't allow transfers of bonded titles out of state. I'm not a TX resident, but I guess I could attempt to register in Texas and that might work for a bit. But I'm soon scheduled to leave Texas (for my next duty assignment,) and will no longer be physically in the state for the required 3-5 years a bonded title needs to be maintained. My driver's license and insurance are with my home state of Nevada ... Should I attempt to register in Texas if I'm not a resident, won't be in the state, and have no intention of returning to Texas? If Nevada won't accept a bonded title, I'm not sure how else I can register.

    Finally, if I'm tired of fighting, how can I just wash my hands of this? If:

    • ... I'm willing to concede there is no acceptable resolution;
    • ... if I don't want to risk getting a bonded title and having to repay the surety bond and be liable for twice the amount of the car;
    • ... if I can't register in Nevada with a bonded title;
    • ... if I shouldn't register in Texas because I'm not a resident and won't be in the state for the 3-year bonded title requirement;
    • ... if my lawsuit results in default judgement I can't collect from a bankrupt dealership;
    • ... if I'm willing to repay USAA the auto loan anyway ...

    ... What can I do with the car? I assume I can't sell a car I don't appear to legally own, yet it's a perfectly fine car. (And, if I had a bonded title, I assume no one would want to buy it anyway.) My end goal is to prove ownership of the car and register it in my home state of Nevada. If I can't do this under my current circumstances, what's the right way to just eat the losses and move on?

    My legal questions:

    Based on multiple reports from at least 30 other victims who got scammed by the same dealership, I believe the dealership intentionally sold cars they knew they couldn't provide title to. They took me for $25k (through my bank,) and I didn't get what I paid for (a car WITH title.) Why does no one seem to think this is a crime? I called the police, my bank, the Texas DMV, the TX Attorney General, etc. While everyone agrees its a messed up situation, no one seems to be concerned that they're doing this. Is this NOT a crime?

    While I do have a lawyer who's working a DTP lawsuit, it was REALLY hard to find him. Most lawyers wouldn't touch my case, I assume because there wasn't enough money in it for them. Additionally, he warns that he is only focused on the DTP and can't/won't help with my DMV/registration issues. With both Texas and Nevada's rules limiting my ability to register a car I purchased legally, what legal assistance can I hire to help me navigate this?

    TLDR: Dealership didn't give me title, then went out of business. Can't get duplicate title; scared to get bonded title for fear of having to repay bond. Can't register car and temp plates expired. Neither bank/financier, military lawyers, nor DMV, can resolve. DTP suit pending, but can't find legal help wading through DMV issues.

    submitted by /u/throway112233445566
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone legally make an easement on their property while said property is under foreclosure?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 03:56 PM PDT

    So we are trying to make a case to dispute an easement that we believe is void. The easement was made in July of 2009, but we have records showing that a foreclosure was active as of April that year, and the final sale in October. This means that the easement was made during the active foreclosure process. We are in North Carolina, and are having trouble finding an answer online.

    submitted by /u/Lemon_head_guy
    [link] [comments]

    Fundraiser raised $7,000 for my family and never saw a dime

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 01:27 PM PDT

    First of all, I'm sorry this is so long.

    Six months ago, my family was involved in a house fire. At the time, we (myself, husband, and our five children) lived with my in laws bc we were struggling financially. My brother in law and his daughter permanently lived in the house also. I was immediately taken by ambulance where I lost consciousness, was intubated and transferred to a bigger hospital an hour away. I didn't wake up until several days later when I unintentionally extubated myself. Hospital staff made an exception (Covid restrictions) and let my husband visit me. My gorgeous, witty, smart four year old baby girl lost her life that morning.

    A family member's wife set up a fundraiser the same day as the fire, before anyone else (another BIL also made one after she did). She raised almost $7,000. My in laws made it known that they didn't want any of the money and wanted it split between my family and my BIL and his daughter.

    My BIL ended his fundraiser and sent the entire amount to the funeral home for us. Her fundraiser was closed and she repeatedly told us that her bank put a hold on it and she had no clue why (also said the same happened with her tax refund and stimulus check) and bc of Covid, she couldn't go into the bank to discuss it and they wouldn't discuss it over the phone. This went on for at least two months before she finally admitted that bc she has so much debt, that she has some sort of second chance bank account and any large sums of money are taken to pay off her debt. I don't totally know the ins and outs of how that works, but I know that when you open an account of that nature, the bank makes you well aware of the details surrounding the account.

    My husband spoke to her about it and bc she was in the process of being evicted, she said when her living situation was worked out, we could have something written up detailing payments and have it notarized. She has since quit her job (they are living with BIL and not paying rent/bills) and we know for a fact that she has bought gaming systems, an ipad, and a ridiculously expensive heating lamp for her lizard since.

    I'm so disgusted by her and the fact that she knew this was going to happen and I truly believe that she did it on purpose. Is there any legal action we can take or is it just not worth it?

    Edited to add: she made sure to delete all posts about the fundraiser on FB so we couldn't see the list of people that donated. We know this bc to this day, my BIL's fundraiser link is still viewable on FB.

    submitted by /u/wildflower715
    [link] [comments]

    Is this Constructive Dismissal?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    My boss minimized my hours to one day a week due to several situations which were minor in nature. However, I had also asked him if we were okay, he said just dont let it continue.

    I took a month off for school work during the summer. After the date I said I would be back, he called me and asked me to work the following week. I did, nothing I did was bad, but he had said the following before I left without me starting the conversation...

    "Like I said before, I dont have any hours right now because of the virus, but I will keep you posted and call if I have hours". Is this constructive dismissal? If so, why did he have me work one day? Also, his boss came in that same day.

    submitted by /u/Clinician
    [link] [comments]

    Delusional neighbor bangs on the shared wall when our baby cries and nothing can be done about it?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 09:08 PM PDT

    I live in a duplex in Washington state with my husband and my son, who is only a few months old. My FIL owns half of the duplex and is renting it to us, and the other half is owned by an older woman and her adult daughter. My FIL has known the women for over fifteen years, and told us before we moved in that the daughter was mentally ill and had strong delusions on occasion that caused trouble with the previous tenants.

    The last tenants apparently had to get a civil anti-harassment order placed against the daughter, but eventually moved out when the behaviors never stopped. Apparently the neighbor accused them of kidnapping and abusing their children, and abusing their dogs.

    My husband and I brought our son home a few months ago, and we didn't have any issues with the neighbor until about two weeks ago. She has begun banging on and throwing things at the walls when our son cries. She screams at us as well, but I usually can't hear what she's actually saying. You know. Over the screaming baby. And the two dogs going absolutely ballistic because of the banging. It's absolute chaos and it has made my postpartum anxiety so much worse. Every time the baby cries I experience intense panic, waiting for the screaming and banging to start.

    We have called the non-emergency police line twice when I can't handle it anymore and feel close to a meltdown, and the first time they talked to her and she stopped doing it as often. Maybe once every two days. Tonight she is back at it and worse than ever. The air quality is so bad right now from the fires that I can't let the dogs out for long to stop them from barking, and the barking makes the baby cry harder, which makes the neighbor scream and pound on the walls harder... the officer I spoke with says we can try to get a civil anti-harassment order placed, but he knew for a fact that her behaviors never stopped after the last tenants tried that and he said his unofficial advice would be to live somewhere else.

    Is that seriously my only option? We can't afford to move but I can't keep living like this.

    submitted by /u/peachesnglitter
    [link] [comments]

    Sorority trying to charge me for spring term dues despite covid forcing the house to close

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 04:40 PM PDT

    Hello there! I (F20) joined a sorority upon entering college. At the beginning of each school year we sign a dues & fees contract saying that we will pay "In consideration of the fraternal and societal benefits received and to be received as a member of [Name of organization], and other good and valuable consideration which is hereby acknowledged, the undersigned Collegiate Member agrees to be responsible for the full amount of dues and fees set forth herein."

    I gladly paid my fall/winter term dues as I was living in the sorority house. Spring term came, covid happened, and we were unable to move back into the house. The sorority did not provide us housing, events, or any other service that warranted us to pay the full amount outlined in the dues & fees contract. They originally tried to charge us the full $2,500+ for the term and as people disputed this they gradually kept giving back more refunds and settled at a total of $1,300 (other sororities charged $200-$400 for the term given the circumstances).

    They were super "generous" and gave members until the end of September to pay this amount but I have a lot of questions about the legality of this. I've repeatedly requested an outline of WHAT we were refunded and charged for and how they determined this and asked for an itemized bill. My requests have been met with radio silence and the sorority is telling me that if I don't pay the $1,200 in full by the end of the month they will forward my debt to collections.

    How are they able to charge me this much when no services were provided? Do I have a right to an itemized bill? Are there mandates set in place to keep debt from going to collections during the pandemic?

    [college is in the state of Oregon if that helps, thank you in advance for the advice]

    submitted by /u/sweetestangerine
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment