• Breaking News

    Friday, September 25, 2020

    Legal Advice - UPDATE: I think my MIL is being scammed out of a house she doesn't realise she owns

    Legal Advice - UPDATE: I think my MIL is being scammed out of a house she doesn't realise she owns


    UPDATE: I think my MIL is being scammed out of a house she doesn't realise she owns

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 10:50 AM PDT

    Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/i97tcb/i_think_my_mil_is_being_scammed_out_of_a_house/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

    Hey everyone! I made this post about a month ago in a few different subreddits, a lot of people have been asking for an update so I thought I would post it here.

    UPDATE 1

    It has been confirmed by the bank that the title of the house is in her name and as far as the bank is concerned she has been paying her mortgage, sans the last payment (which is why it is in forclosure) now, from what the bank can tell, it was the lawyer who paid for the mortgage himself!

    But wait! There's more!

    The housing estate that takes care of the house has confirmed that there is a foreigner who has been living in the house about 6 months out of the year and as far as he is concerned, he is under the impression that he has bought the house.

    We are talking to multiple lawyers to figure out what on earth is going on but everyone is just as baffled as us about what the hell is going on!

    UPDATE 2

    So to start I thought I would add some details that are relevant and to answer common questions: The property is in the UK however we are living in Canada. My MIL is the only person on the deed, her husband was never on it as he was trying to avoid fees in the past as he was not a citizen. She was technically declared bankrupt in 2019 in the UK however the bank said they will overlook this as they have messed up a lot and it shouldn't have happened. The house is in whats considered an exclusive gated community with its own form of property management (think country club vibes). MIL was left depressed, with no will to live and destitute after the divorce and had appointed a conveyancer to help her sell the property to pay for my wife's education in Canada at the time. Further to this, this solicitor happens to have also represented the so called buyer at the time too. My MIL has never received any form of paperwork and found it strange but she didn't question this solicitor because of the nasty divorce. She was only paid out £80,000 pounds for the 'sale' of her house.

    The update: So we spent the whole night between myself, my wife and my MIL to call everyone from the bank, solicitors as well as the deed office, resort management and government officials. Just preface, we have talked to lawyers who will be assisting us on this case, however, we love a good mystery as much as you guys and love your feedback and input.

    The Mortgage & Deed: We have confirmed with the bank and the land title office that MIL is the only person on the deed and as far as the bank is concerned, monthly payments were made by my mother up until 2018 when the final mortgage payment of £10,000 payment was not made. After some digging, the bank officer was able to confirm that it was in fact the same conveyancer/solicitor that paid for the mortgage monthly without fail all those years. They also confirmed that as soon as the final £10,000 is paid (plus late fees and interest), the deed would be reassigned to MIL as she is the rightful buyer. We also asked the bank if they would ever ask a lawyer for a reassignment/authorization letter to be given to the lawyer and they confirmed that they would never ask that.

    The Buyer: We managed to get ahold of the secretary of the estate/resort thingy who still remembers MIL and was eager to help. She confirmed that there is a person living in the house (the same man who MIL initially thought she sold to) and even though he is only there 6 months out of the year, he has consistently lived there these past 13 years. In true secretary gossip fashion, she confirmed that the guy always says he owns the place, however, whenever the manager asks for a copy of his purchase or some form of proof that he did indeed buy the house, he has somehow managed to skirt providing that.

    House Value: After speaking to the secretary, she confirmed that due to recent surveying and a new addition of a man made lake, MIL house has skyrocketed in value. What she had initially bought for £800,000 is now worth a cool £5,000,000 minimum. The resort at first held the land titles of all the houses on their property but now the home owners own them and so this contributed to the price increase.

    The Asshole: The lawyer/conveyancer has been frantically calling both the land title office as well as the bank since he only recently found out that the house is going into foreclosure. We have notified everyone that MIL is not signing anything and does not consent to any changes. We have set up a payment plan to get this house secured ASAP.

    Theories:

    Even though we do have solicitors starting to work on this, we have a few running theories.

    1. The Stupid Rich Buyer Scenario Just to preface, the secretary told us this man likes to brag that he makes an excess of £30,000-£50,000 a day and likes to brag that its his 'side house'. Perhaps, he threw a chunk of change at the scummy lawyer and instead of paying out my MILs mortgage and settling the bill, the lawyer kept the money and paid my mother enough to seem believable and paid the mortgage monthly to keep up appearances thinking he would be able to get MIL to sign deed over eventually.

    2. They're All In On It Scenario This buyer who bought the house is not a UK citizen and kanoodled with the lawyer to skirt the foreigner property ownership tax by keeping it in my MIL's name. They probably had a tit for tat and was hoping MIL's poor health or naivety would go in their favor.

    Our current plan is to get some money together to make the first payment on the mortgage (the bank said we only have to put £1500 down to start) to prevent the foreclosure.

    UPDATE 3

    So we have had a lawyer and a solicitor look at all the documentation we have and this is where we stand.

    We have without a doubt a house. The deed is entirely in her name. The lawyer never finalised the original sale. In the contract he was supposed to pay her within 3 months which he never did, he only ever paid her the deposit and we believe he banked the rest for himself. The buyer is living there right now under the assumption he has the deed. (Or he is aware and is in on it too). We found out that my MIL is technically bankrupt in the UK however after talking around as long as we can pay around £20,000 of old loans (this is a just a portion of what she owed after the divorce, but the bank said as long as they get something over nothing they well be satisfied) they will not go after the house. We have this in writing.

    Also a slight twist is that the lawyer who pulled this scam off is now a low level politician.

    UPDATE 4

    For the past month or so we have been doing small paperwork. We are trying to get funds together but that is pretty hard. We managed to pay for a lawyer for a bit but that is about it. MIL had a period of poor health so she wants to rewrite a will to protect everything for her daughter if need be.

    The lawyer/ politician tried to delete old Facebook messages and has dropped in now and then asking when she will sign that form for him.

    We have been told at the worst we may have to pay back the £80k to the guy, but only after the house is sold. The bank also said that if it goes to foreclosure and they sell it they will only take the £10k, fees, and fee rest will be given to my MIL but it may be less. We are working something out with the bank in case this becomes the case.

    Thank you!

    Edit: comments are enabled on the original.

    submitted by /u/AshCrewReborn
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: Court hearing with my stalker

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 11:50 PM PDT

    stalker will not leave me alone

    I posted this a little ways back asking for legal advice on what to do about my stalker. Last week, I went through the process of getting a temporary protective order. It worked. 10 days of peace. I've never felt better. I am a bit nervous though. I have another court hearing today and I'm anxious to see if he shows up. I absolutely do not want to see his face, have to hear his voice, or speak to him at all. I don't want to give him the sick satisfaction of seeing and speaking to me either. I'm praying that the judge hears my case and extends the protective order for longer time. Next week hopefully I will be traveling to his hometown to press charges for stalking and harassment, which should be more effective.

    submitted by /u/Miserable-Piglet-684
    [link] [comments]

    He wants $5,000 or a nude video goes out to coworkers and family

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    [WA] I have a friend in trouble. Several months ago (pre-covid) she sent an explicit, nude video showing her face to someone she was flirting with online. Earlier this week he contacted her, said he had been laid off and desperately needs money. When she refused, he threated to send the video to her office and family, ruining her reputation.

    He wants $5,000, but honestly, if she gives in where does it stop?

    She's scared, but has screenshots of the texts. She knows this guys full name, address and phone number. She even has a recording of him threatening her over the phone. She's trying to talk him down, but it's not working.

    This is illegal, right? What are her options and what's the best course of action to end this quickly and easily?

    submitted by /u/robsbigthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    My parents are asking me to lie to CPS. Can I?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    I don't feel comfortable lying to authorities, but my father has already said some things. If I say otherwise, the story will not match up. What do I do?

    More information (edit):

    I am 17F with two siblings 14F and 7M. My sister recently called 911 because she was suffering from a suicidal breakdown and taken to the E.R.. She is now in a hospital in our state NC, U.S.. After some therapy, CPS has decided to investigate. My parents have asked CPS to come back next week, but they've told me to deny corporal punishment. I may be disowned if I do not.

    Edit: My parents are hiring a lawyer to protect them.

    submitted by /u/jelly-_-jelly
    [link] [comments]

    [California] Auctioneers my parents hired for their estate sale sold personal financial records and other items marked not to be sold - what can they do?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 11:12 AM PDT

    My parents are moving states from CA to OR. The house they are moving out of is large and they hired a small company to help organize their estate sale. They came in several times to mark which things are to be sold, which things are not to be sold and to organize everything. They have done a pretty bad job - switching dates on them, extending the estate sale, not showing up when they said they would, unexpectantly showing up when they said they would. Some of this my parents were lenient about since one of the managers just had a kid that was a few weeks premature.

    So they tell my parents no one can be in the house during the sale so I'm taking care of the cat, my mom stayed in a hotel and my dad went to the new house. My mom comes back after the sale and finds that many things marked not for sale have been sold - jewelry, fine silver, china, Roku and Firesticks etc. The worst being a filing cabinet that was in a room that no one was supposed to go into. Inside this filing cabinet were documents that had my parents social security and financial records for the past several decades.

    They are scrambling to figure out what to do. My mom is talking to their investors, retirement accounts and credit card companies to put fraud alerts. She's filing a police report. She contacted the auctioneers who didn't reply for a long time (2 days) and their manager stated that she got into a bad car accident and won't be very available. They are trying to find the contract but the auctioneers say they aren't liable because their contract only states they will "do their best". The items are replaceable but they think it was extremely negligent to let them take their filing cabinet that was in a room no one was to enter and had a sticker that didn't allow for sale.

    I can update the post when they find the exact contract. Can they do anything against the auctioneers? Their info is probably forever lost.

    submitted by /u/honeywings
    [link] [comments]

    [Texas] Landlord runs his business out of our backyard & charges us for utilities - is what he is doing legal?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 08:29 AM PDT

    Our house is on about an acre of land, but long before we moved in, the landlord put a fence up siphoning the backyard to our rental to a tiny fraction of it so he can run his construction business out of the back portion of it. Our yard is completely separated from his business by a fence and it has its own separate driveway entrance (that runs alongside the yard and goes right by our bedroom window). In his portion of the yard, he owns a very large garage that gets electricity - I have seen the lights on when the garage door is open - where people regularly do prep for their jobs (I hear saws running a few times a month). I am not sure if he gets water or not, but I'm pretty sure he has wifi back here. If it matters.

    The situation is this. He has a written clause in our lease that says he will bill us for electric and water, and each month, he leaves a printed "bill" (a two-column, two-row excel sheet with the monthly charges and what we owe) on our doorstep. Almost every month, he takes off $20 for his "portion" of the electric bill. I asked to see the actual bill from the utility companies and he sends a copy to my husband - he has never charged us more than what they are charging, but he doesn't have a separate meter for his business in the back.

    Is what he is going legal? Every month, even when our bill goes up by ~$60, he only takes $15-25 off of the bill for his "portion" of the utilities, and that just doesn't seem right to me. I tried calling the electric company to discuss the bill, but since I'm not on the account, they said they cannot discuss it with me. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide as much background as possible, because we don't know who else to ask for advice about this. Our electric bill was $180 this month, which might not be a lot to most people, but it has historically been $100-120 even during the hottest parts of the year, so the only variable here is his business.

    submitted by /u/thegirlcalledcrow
    [link] [comments]

    Client didn't pay me. I took down Ads I created for them. Help.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 04:49 PM PDT

    Long story short I have a 'verbal' chat agreement between me and Client to edit some web content for them, as well as create Facebook ads for them. For $1300. I completed all the above work, and the client has refused to pay. At first making excuses blaming the platform(Freelancer) and then later just not responding at all. After waiting several days with no response, I took down the Ads I created for the client as they left me in access of the FB ad manager.

    This of course got an immediate response and they are now claiming they are going to sue me for business damages because I took down the ads which are 'essential' to their business.

    How possible is this realistically? Can they sue for damages or lost revenue from something I created and was not paid for? And two, being I have logs of work completed and the agreement, is this not an easy case for me to take to small claims and get paid for?

    Any help is greatly appreciated as I am already prepping to take them to court

    (I am based in NYC client is located in North Carolina)

    submitted by /u/jackg904
    [link] [comments]

    Is an adult encouraging a minor to commit suicide a crime?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 06:39 PM PDT

    Ok...here's the situation...a good friend called me freaking out because her Sister in Law (her brother's wife) was encouraging my friend's 14 year old daughter to commit suicide. SIL was telling the child that she was to blame for her father's death (he died in a car accident), and that she was a burden to her mom. She even offered to give the child Rx medications to kill herself and also offered to show her "how to do it right" so she "didn't end up a vegetable". The child was able to capture a recording of this conversation on her phone. So I guess there are two questions:

    1. Is what this person did a crime?
    2. Since the SIL didn't know she was being recorded (it's MA, a two party consent state) could the recording be used as evidence?

    I've suspected for years that the SIL is a sociopath and I think this goes a long way towards proving that. That's why I'm encouraging my friend to go to the police and stay away from SIL...and to seek a protective/restraining order. Friend doesn't do reddit so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

    submitted by /u/TriXieCat13
    [link] [comments]

    Friend is stuck in ER, and doctors won’t let him leave. [NH]

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 06:10 PM PDT

    My friend [M-16] self-admitted himself to the ER, he went in for depression and risk of suicidal thoughts. He did not attempt suicide, or self harm. He was afraid that he was going to. He has been there for three days and has realized a transfer to a proper mental health facility will take multiple weeks staying in the ER. He no longer wants to stay in the ER and his parents agree with him. They requested to have him leave the ER but the therapist/doctor in charge refuses. They state they will hold him against his will if his parents attempt to pull him out early. I really need help his parents don't know what to do, and neither do I. He is very scared and it certainly isn't helping his depression.

    submitted by /u/NewManHobo
    [link] [comments]

    (TX) Employer deducts PTO if we refuse to report illegal immigrants among other scenarios, along with reducing everyone’s PTO by X days forcing PTO loans

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    Hi there legal advice,

    Throw away for reasons, trying to keep it to the facts. I live in TX, but this is an entirely remote company across the US and globe. I am a full time salaried employee W2 that works for a subsidiary of a larger company. I work for a consultancy.

    At the consultancy, although we are salaried, we must log hours to bill clients.

    If we do not log hours, our PTO gets automatically deducted.

    The employer uses this system to force compliance from employees of different levels. They unveil numerous requirements, trainings, and software updates near weekly to receive access to the timecard system.

    If we do not log our hours, they deduct our PTO 1:1 on days that do not have hours recorded, meaning for days we do not have access to the system they take 8 hours of PTO for each day. They also deduct your PTO if you do not log 40 billable hours to a client in a given week, they will deduct the remaining amount as PTO. For example if you log four 8-hour days, they will deduct the fifth day as PTO if you had no billable work that day.

    Circling back to how they block access to the system. In the system they will block your access depending on what new requirement they have.

    Need to install 10 new pieces of software? Your timecard is blocked.

    Haven't taken our ethics training? Your timecard is blocked.

    Haven't participated on social media? Your timecard is blocked.

    Now these activities sometimes take days to complete. For instance, they only let the software be installed by a remote IT force. This takes easily 1-3 workdays.

    This means not only are we not billing during that time, but the company deducts our PTO for that time, even though we are working, we just aren't "billing" because they're blocking us from doing so.

    The latest activity is they blocked out access is if we do not take a survey ensuring compliance with laws in different countries, and forcing us to sign internal company contracts and policies. On this quiz was a question asking if we would report illegal immigrants, which caused a large loss of PTO as a lot of employees refused to answer this.

    There is another activity next week coming up it appears, but another activity that happened this week is a new holiday policy. The employer announced the subsidiary will follow the larger organization's policy.

    This policy is during the period of thanksgiving and holiday break in December, the greater company will be closed. With the greater company being closed, we are not allowed to work. Since we are not allowed to work, they will take a maximum of 9 days of PTO from every employee to cover this.

    We aren't necessarily rolling in PTO, just being allotted an industry standard of about two to three weeks. If we go into the negative, we must sign a PTO loan through a process promising we would pay back the company if we depart, causing us to be in a debt loop to our employer.

    I guess my long winded question to this is, is this legal? Is this normal? Is now the time to get a consult with an employment attorney, or is this not in that realm? I understand I'm in a right to work state so I could just quit, but it makes it hard to know what will happen with PTO payouts, and if I would need to pay my company with them claiming I did not work on days I actually did.

    submitted by /u/PTOFiasco
    [link] [comments]

    [Indiana] Closed on new home Sellers won’t collect their belongings

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 05:14 PM PDT

    On September 4th we closed on our new home. Purchase agreement called for immediate possession. Sellers are going through a nasty divorce with a wife having protective order against husband. The shed was full of woodworking tools and lawn equipment. I contacted his lawyer at wife's suggestion to find out when the stuff would be taken out. Husband seller came eventually last week and got most of the shed items, accept an expensive John Deere zero turn mower and other small yard tools. I begged him for a week to get any of it out. We called the sheriff and he advised that the law is very gray here but 30 days after close anything left on the proper is legally ours. Is this true? How should we proceed? My husband is a contractor. We are renting space now to hold all his tools. I just want to organize our stuff in the shed but seller husband has a key to the shed (never turned it over) and I don't want our things to disappear whenever he decides to get his stuff.

    Husband wants to move all sellers stuff behind shed and he can get it whenever. Would we be liable for the condition of the items if out in the elements? My husband is so mad. I just don't want these crazy people unleashing their crazy on us. How do we get out of this mess?

    submitted by /u/boilermakercharm
    [link] [comments]

    A doctor has been posting nudes of dozens of girls (without consent) onto sites like reddit, 4chan, etc. for the past ~5 years. One of those girls is me

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 02:04 PM PDT

    TLDR: I sent someone nudes (with my face) for money. Few months later I find out he posted them on reddit, making the front page. For ~5 years, he's been paying girls on sugar baby websites to send him nudes, which he posts on reddit/4chan (often making front page, and without their consent) and also frequently sells the pics/vids to strangers, along with the girls' social media info. He's also a currently practicing physician. This is in the US.

    Ok - this will be long, but I hope it's worth the read. I just need someone to listen.

    Three years ago I was a dumb, broke college girl that needed some help paying rent. I heard about one of those sugar baby websites from a friend who apparently had a great experience so I thought I'd sign up and give it a shot. After a few days, I got a message from someone who offered hundreds of dollars (weekly) for nude photos. Their profile had very little information, but naive, stupid girl that I was, I went ahead with the arrangement.

    I ended up only sending a few pictures (with my face in them) before I realized how much of an idiot I was, and cut off all contact from the guy after a week. I was pretty nervous about the thought of having sent identifiable nudes to what was essentially a complete stranger, but I felt a bit better as the months went by.

    Then imagine my surprise when my friend sent a link to a post on one of the NSFW subreddits that had made it to /r/all. You guessed it - one of the nudes I had sent. I ended up filing a DMCA takedown and did as much as I could to get the pic off the internet, but as you know it's damn near impossible to get something off the internet once it's been posted once.

    When I checked the username that had posted it though, it was obvious that it must've been the guy who I had originally sent the pic to. He had been posting dozens of pics (during that month alone) of other college girls, and they all had the same "theme," aka full body picture with face clearly visible, with one pic clothed, the next unclothed, usually in the same exact pose. He had also posted multiple videos of the girls. Most appalling of all, many of these pics/vids had made the front page and been viewed by hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

    In the months since then, alongside my constant efforts to take down whatever pics of me I could find, I tried doing some research on the guy with reverse image search, looking through forums, etc. What I learned over the past year or so is that he's gained a "following" on sites like 4chan and certain revenge pornography sites and goes by a certain moniker. He'll pay girls on sugar baby websites for nude photos (generally having them take the pics in the same "style" I mentioned above), then post them to sites like 4chan or reddit. He'll also sell them to people while including the girls' identifying info like full names or social media contacts. Again, he's been doing this for at least (from what I can tell) 5 years. Many of the pictures/videos he has posted in NSFW subreddits have made the front page, and I'm sure you've most likely seen a good handful of them. I can only assume he gets off on exposing girls this way.

    Anyway, one of the main reasons I'm coming forward now is that one of the revenge porn sites I frequent (to check for my pics) had a thread for "his girls," and someone claimed to know his identity. They even posted a picture of him and link to his Venmo account. I checked the Venmo friends list (his account was public), and I recognized at least 7-8 girls alone from pictures that he's posted/have been associated with him. None of them live nearby him, so I can't imagine any other connection. To make it even more obvious, since his info was posted (about a month ago), I checked his Venmo friends list recently and he wiped only those girls off his list. To put the nail in the coffin, someone also referenced court records from a few years ago (that i found online) which involved him and one of the girls whose pics he posted (her nudes are now the first result if you Google her real name). It seems like they either reached a settlement or the case never went anywhere, because the guy's still a doctor and currently practicing.

    So what can be done here? At this point, it's not even about my pics anymore - luckily I didn't send him that many to begin with (and yes, I know it was stupid to do it). From what I've found he's a practicing doctor, and he's probably ruined the lives of dozens of girls. For some of them, if you just Google their real name, the first results you get are galleries of their nudes. And I know at least 4-5 reddit usernames he has posted nudes with. They usually get banned within a few weeks (guessing when some of the girls get wind of their pics being posted), but without fail, he's always back. His most recent reddit account was only banned 1-2 weeks ago. Considering what happened with the recent GirlsDoPorn case, I'm guessing that could serve as a sort of precedent?

    I'd appreciate any kind of advice.

    submitted by /u/legal-throwaway-101
    [link] [comments]

    [D.C.] Legal precedent for "piercing the corporate veil" in DC? Housing company (LLC) will be using my security deposit to cover corporate debts during liquidation.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    TL;DR: What is the burden of proof for a plaintiff to "pierce the corporate veil" of liability in DC? Specifically, a housing company has commingled my security deposit with funds used to pay staff payroll, corporate debts, and investors. Is this commingling of finances proof enough to pursue damages directly from the officers and agents of this company?

    Longer version: I rented a room from a housing company and terminated the lease in March due to their breach of contract. I then filed a claim as plaintiff pro se against this company for damages incurred by their breach of contract. Initially filled in the small claims branch, the opposing counsel refused to have the case heard in front of a Magistrate. This meant the case got kicked to the Civil Division of the DC Superior Courts and the case is still pending (thanks, COVID).

    During this time, the company remained in violation the contract/lease and retained my security deposit. Opposing counsel indicated they would return my security deposit to me in exchange for me dropping all claims and signing a non-disparagement agreement. I refused and, therefore, still have not received my security deposit. The company never provided me any communication (written or otherwise) of their intent to withhold my security deposit. They have also not provided any rationale for withholding my security deposit or any list of expenses for which they are applying my security deposit towards. Therefore, I amended my claim to include the security deposit and treble damages for bad faith withholding.

    This week, I was informed the company is shutting down and liquidating assets. The company has said that my (and all other tenants') security deposits are being retained and will not be returned. To me, this is evidence that my security deposit is being commingled with company finances and is being used to settle corporate debts. Considering the company is going under and may file for bankruptcy, I am considering going after the officers and agents of the company in an effort to recover my damages (less than 5K).

    Given these details, is there legal precedent I should be aware of before trying to "pierce the veil" of corporate liability to hold the CEO personally liable for mismanagement and bad faith retention of my finances?

    submitted by /u/2H2O_bro
    [link] [comments]

    [GA] I've been banned from all investment firms because of a white collar crime I committed when I was 18...

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    Hi there, looking for any advice because my financial advisor nor my family lawyer has any clue.

    10+ years ago, when I was 18, I was convicted of a white collar crime (related to hacking/fraud). And because the nature of the crime was at a national level, I was indicted by the federal government. I learned my lesson quick, and now live- what I believe- is a relatively normal life.

    Two years ago I was suddenly blocked from my Capital One account, which I had used for 5+ years in great standing, utilizing credit cards for personal and business. I was extremely confused, I called 5 times, each representative said they "couldn't disclose the exact reason behind my termination". I kept calling and finally got a nice lady on the phone that hinted it had something to do with my felony.

    Fast forward a 2 months ago. I've had a TD Ameritrade account in good standing for 4 years, I hadn't checked up on it in a year, I decided to login- deactivated. Called them and gave same response as Capital One. Didn't care so much because I didn't use TDA much.

    I've had an investment fund managed with my personal financial advisor for a year and a half. He decided he wanted to move to Charles Schwab, I agreed, and I filled out the application. My advisor called me last week and said I've been dropped... immediately after I submitted my app. My advisor spoke to a Charles Schwab Rep and and managed to get some details. Apparently I'm on a list called AML (anti-money laundering), which most banks and investment firms are now starting to implement.

    I'm completely clueless. I've Google'd, spoken with a few local attorneys, none of which have heard anything like this. I absolutely need to have a general investment and retirement fund. Beyond that, I'm starting to get worried about my soon-to-be mortgage application being denied for the same reasons, or even my personal bank account.

    The only suggestions I've received so far was write/call my state's senators and/or the POTUS. I'm clueless and completely desperate, and piece of advice is appreciated.

    If it helps at all, here's the letter I received today from Charles Schwab explaining why my account was terminated: https://imgur.com/cjurxWC

    The same wordage is almost exactly similar to the other accounts I've had terminated- extremely broad.

    submitted by /u/chadwarden1337
    [link] [comments]

    [New Jersey] Landlord cites sun damage as definition for "normal" wear and tear on apartment walls. Wants to charge repainting fee on near-pristine walls. The whole apartment.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    I get a normal repainting fee. But "wear and tear" isn't defined at all in the lease. How unreasonable can their interpretation be? The woman said that because three different walls have light scuffs (even that's a bit exaggerated), the entire apartment needs to be repainted. The fee doesn't include cleaning all the carpeting or the bathrooms.

    Can their interpretation be as unreasonable as they want it to be? The woman came in seeming to already know what she was going to charge us.

    submitted by /u/PeaceMoose
    [link] [comments]

    [Wisconsin] Can a landlord terminate a one year lease prior to it's end date without cause?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    We are renting a property in Wisconsin with a one year lease.

    We have received a notice today which says that the landlord has elected to terminate our tenancy because the property has been sold and the buyer wishes to move in. It gives a 28 day notice to vacate.

    As far as I can tell nothing in the lease says anything about this contingency other than one paragraph which says that in the event if a transfer of ownership the (old) owner is released from obligations and the new owner is responsible for the landlord's obligations.

    From what I can find online this is not allowed except at the end of the lease term, which is not until July of next year, but I am not sure I am reading that correctly.

    submitted by /u/lazerlike42
    [link] [comments]

    I'm 30 and someone claimed me as a dependent, and I didn't get my stimulus payment. What can I do?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    I'm 30 years old and living on my own and supporting myself financially. A distant relative (not a parent or uncle/aunt) I haven't talked to for years claimed me as a dependent in 2019 and as a result (I think) I didn't get a stimulus payment. Is there anything I can do do rectify the situation if someone invalidly claimed me as a dependent? I'm willing to report them to the IRS as they knew what they were doing and if it's against the rules they deserve a penalty.

    submitted by /u/NaiveCow7
    [link] [comments]

    Old employer called around and told others not to hire me

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    Me and my old employer had a falling out, things did not end that well, I quit with no notice. Learned today from my friend that still works there that they called around to other similar clinics and told them to not hire me, which now makes sense as to why I hear something about setting up an interview and then I get ghosted. Is there any way I can get around this? Is this legal? (South Carolina)

    submitted by /u/ducksgoquackoo8
    [link] [comments]

    NYC: my dad is the legal guardian for my intellectually disabled sister(30F). He has all the info and setup everything so only he has access to it. He’s leaving the country and refuses to give my mother and I access to it. What can I do?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 08:27 AM PDT

    My dad uses my sisters government funds to pay the rent and keeps the rest. We don't know how much she gets but it's a few hundred. I want access so that we can continue paying the rent while he's gone and to save a nest egg for my sister. He refuses to give access and basically says since he set it up he deserves it. Which means he's probably using it to fund his vacation. For context, I don't live with my parents but my sister does.

    Can I hire someone to give me guardianship and transfer everything to an account under my sisters name? Do I need to refile everything? I am at my wits end with him and I don't know what to do.

    submitted by /u/reezi36
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord keeps denying applicants to take over my lease for BS reasons. What can I do?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 09:18 AM PDT

    I apologize if this isn't the usual formatting. I've only ever used Reddit for one other thing. Also this is long, so thank you in advance if you read all of this and can give me advice. I am desperate.

    I signed a lease that started August 1, 2020 with my now ex-boyfriend. The first red flag should have been that we didn't get to sign the lease until the day we moved in, but that's a different matter. Our relationship ended in a very ugly manner about 2 or so weeks later. I could no longer live there with him without fearing for my safety so I left and immediately started looking for a new place to live.

    I IMMEDIATELY informed my landlord of the situation and asked her what my options were. She told me that I can either get someone to take over the entire apartment, or I can get a roommate for my ex. I originally started looking for someone to take the entire unit because we were both going to move out.

    My first applicants were a couple (a mother, father, and their young child) that put in an application almost immediately. I checked in every few days with my landlord and she told me it was "pending". I asked what else they needed to get turned in, and was told "they have everything, it is just pending". This went on for about 2 weeks until it was August 30th and the couple finally had to back out because they needed to ensure they had a place to live come September 1st.

    My second applicant was a single mother with poor credit. She applied, and was denied almost immediately. Okay that's fine. I have bad credit and had to have a co-signer. I asked my landlord if she could use a co-signer, and I was told "it will be up to the individual that does the screening process". I waited for 7-8 days, checking in every single day, and in the mean time the applicant turned in a co-signer application and proof of additional income via child support. This was WAY more than I was able to give them. But I was told they couldn't sign with her (after a week of no answers) and was not given a reason why.

    I eventually changed to start looking for a roommate for my ex, as he decided to stay on the lease at this point.

    My next applicant was denied because he has a small dog and I was told "the property is no longer pet friendly" even though I had 2 dogs on my lease, and there are at least 10+ other dog owners in the apartment complex. But somehow their pet policy changed in the last 30 days. This just seems like a bullshit excuse to me.

    I am now convinced that they are going to deny every applicant I have so that I am forced to pay. I have already signed a lease at a new place (I was trying to wait until I was out of my lease, and stayed with a friend for 2.5 weeks, but I have a large dog and a full time job and couldn't stay with my friend past then end of August so I had to move in somewhere else)

    On October 1st, I will owe September AND October rent to the old apartment I am trying to rent, and October rent to my new place. I am usually very careful financially and have a savings, but I had to pay for move in costs (deposit and fees) at my new place less than 30 days after paying the move in costs at the place I am trying to rent so I have been living paycheck to paycheck for the past month and a half (with additional help financially from anyone that has been able to lend to me, but I have to pay it all back) and I am running out of money fast and bills are piling up. I am selling everything I can of value, and looking for a second job (I already work an office job 8-5 Monday through Friday) but there is only so much time in the week, and only so many things I can sell.

    I have been trying so hard to get them a proper applicant and have provided them with several that have been shot down for what seems to be a fake reason, or they have had to back out due to lack of action on the rental company's side. I am afraid they are trying to trap me into this lease until they can take my entire deposit and ruin my credit, and go after my co-signer for additional fees or rent due.

    Is there any legal action I can take or anything that will protect me in this situation? I live in Colorado if that helps. I am desperate at this point so any advice helps.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/anonymousaita37
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor's fence was recently built and is over on my property by 2.5 ft (IL)

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    My neighbor recently put up a fence a few months back. I have been trying to have a driveway redone so I had to get my plat of survey in order to get the permit for that. I noticed on the plat of survey that where he put his fence is actually 2.5 ft past his property line into mine.

    I doubt that he got a permit for his fence otherwise the contractor would have realized how far over his fence was into my property, if they actually went about this legally. I don't think asking him nicely to move the fence will be an option. I have only been in the house a few months and he has already done things like take grass killer to my lawn without my permission and a slew of other things. What course of action do I have to force him to move the fence?

    Should I look submitting a FOI request to see if he actually got a permit for the fence? This guy is kind of a psycho, but I am not going to be bullied in my own home.

    **edit**
    I should also mention that I had a fence originally. My neighbor asked me verbally if he could remove mine and put up a new one. I explicitly asked him to keep me informed of when the fence would be removed and made it very clear that I expected him to have a survey done to know where to put the fence. I left for one weekend in quarantine and came back to my fence gone and the new fence installed.

    submitted by /u/MelvinTheMonster
    [link] [comments]

    Moving Company Hasn't Delivered my Furniture for 8 weeks

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 09:16 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    TL;DR: I made a deal with Mega Van Lines to have my stuff delivered from SLC, UT to Austin, TX. The day of the move, Konami Moving and Storage shows up, charges way more than estimate, and hasn't delivered my things for 8 weeks. The contract says they have 30 business days, and it's day 40. Every time I call, they tell me, "We're still getting the Texas truck ready." Family friend lawyer is sending a letter pro-bono, but I am willing to find and pay for a lawyer to help.

    The history:

    July 28th - I contacted Mega Van Lines about moving my stuff from SLC to Austin, and I was quoted $2030.63 based on a description of all my items I needed to move, 293 cu ft. The estimate they gave me was a hyperlink to the document, which is now expired. They required 1/2 deposit upfront, so I paid $1015.

    July 31st - Konami Moving and Storage showed up to move my stuff, NOT Mega Van Lines, much to my surprise. My understanding is that I signed a new contract with Konami, and Mega Van Lines essentially acted as a broker. They told me that the initial $2008 was just an estimate, and that based on the actual measurements and volume of the items, the cost could change. My objects ended up being 600 cu ft, with a total cost of $3496.88 ($890 for a "binding fee", which I was unaware of). I tried to pushback against this outrageous increase in cost compared to the initial estimate, but they said nothing could be done, and I had to be moved out that same day. I didn't see any other way but to just go with it.

    August 3rd - I payed 1/2 the remaining balance, $1196.44.

    Multiple dates since then - I call and ask when my stuff will be delivered, and their response is "We're still getting the Texas truck ready."

    September 21th - I tell them I'll be finding a lawyer. They tell me I can no longer contact them, all communication must now happen through a lawyer. I get in contact with a family-friend lawyer, who is sending them a letter this week.

    Relevant Contract info:

    General Agreement says:

    "I understand that Konami Moving and Storage has up to 30 business days from my first date available to deliver my household goods." I initialed next to that.

    JURISDICTION, VENUE AND CONTROLLING LAW, This Agreement has been entered into and shall be governed by as construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Nevada... and any legal proceedings in any court other than specified, the customer shall assume all Konami Moving and Storage costs in connection therewith, including, but not limited to reasonable attorney's fees.

    Interstate Household Goods Bill of Lading says:

    Section 3: DELIVERY SCHEDULE: The carrier shall attempt delivery within 30 business days from the first available delivery date requested and no later than the time specified on the face hereof. If shipment is delayed at the fault of the carrier, the compensation for such delay will be calculated at $25 for each business day beyond the 30 day limit and subject to the limitations included on Section 1.

    Section 1: DELAY OF DELIVERY: The carrier shall not be liable for delay caused by highway obstruction, or faulty or impassable highways, or lack of capacity of any highway, bridge or ferry, or caused by breakdown or mechanical defect of vehicles or equipment, or from any cause other than negligence of the carrier; nor shall the carrier be bound to transport by any particular schedule, means, vehicle or otherwise than with reasonable dispatch.

    Questions:

    What should I do?

    Are there lawyers that specifically deal with issues with moving companies? This seems to be a common issue based on my Googling.

    Are there other resources aside from seeking a lawyer I can use? Like government agencies or something I can contact?

    Have they truly breached contract by going beyond the 30 business day limit, or are they still within contract and simply get to charge me $25/day less, as per Section 3 above?

    Thank you again to anyone who takes the time to read this long post and respond!

    submitted by /u/Landonian
    [link] [comments]

    I (32m) bought more land then I thought

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    My (32m) family and I bought houses next to each other (originally the same lot) a few weeks ago for a total of 2.5 acres, 2 acres and .5 acres respectively. But! After walking around the property, it felt bigger and after looking at the town map I realized that when they split our lots they ducked their math and we're sitting on 3.1 acres instead.

    What's the best way to get it fixed or should we just let it ride?

    Edit: This is MA

    submitted by /u/NesquikKnight
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment