• Breaking News

    Saturday, September 26, 2020

    Legal Advice - My wife legally couldn't work during covid, and now the employment commission is asking for all of her unemployment money back, totalling around 6 grand

    Legal Advice - My wife legally couldn't work during covid, and now the employment commission is asking for all of her unemployment money back, totalling around 6 grand


    My wife legally couldn't work during covid, and now the employment commission is asking for all of her unemployment money back, totalling around 6 grand

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 03:33 AM PDT

    Basically, they didn't mean to give her the money. Nevermind the fact that it was their mistake. The reason listed on the letter is that the benefits "were received during a period of ineligibility" but she filled out her application and they gave her the money, so wouldn't that be on them? We are very stressed out about this. I don't know what to do, you can't even get these people on the phone. My state is VA. They're saying she needs to pay them 6 grand immediately and she doesn't have that kind of money, she literally used it for rent and groceries. She's a massage therapist and legally could not work anywhere during the pandemic. She's gonna try to appeal it obviously but who does something like this??

    2 questions. What SHOULD I do, and also what CAN they do to us? We obviously can't afford to pay it we're both poor and work very hard for our money

    I'm also worried that they're going to randomly come after me as well. Why haven't I heard about this happening to people? I feel like this is news-worthy.

    submitted by /u/GlorygoleGargoyle
    [link] [comments]

    A woman trespassed and vandalized our restaurant’s dining room after we asked her to leave because our dining room is closed and non-available to customers due to COVID-19. We have footage of her doing these crimes. Can we upload it on social media to find her?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! This question is about our restaurant in Québec, Canada.

    So, we've had a closed dining room since April because of COVID-19 and we only serve customers by either delivering, by letting them get takeout or by letting them eat on our restaurant terrace. We have several warnings « DINING ROOM CLOSED AT THE MOMENT, thank you! » near the dining room, it's written near the menu and all over the doors as well as on the sanitizing gel distributor. We have barriers preventing people from going in but we let customer pass one at a time if they need to use the bathroom which is at the end of the dining room. One employee goes to disinfect the bathroom as soon as they are done and no one can bring food past this point since April.

    As the title says, this woman came in, got food for takeout and proceeded to sit at the bottom of the dining room where she knew employees wouldn't see her. Nobody knows how she got there, we just know she somehow managed to go past the locks and pulled her meal out of her bag to start eating at a table.

    Our manager went to see her to explain that we couldn't allow customers in the dining room (Québec is in a tight spot when it comes to COVID-19!) but that she could eat on the terrace or take the food out if she desired. The woman refused to leave and after several warnings, our manager told the woman that she might have to call the cops if she didn't comply. What we see on the footage next is the woman putting away her personal effects and throwing her food, plate, utensils, napkins and platter everywhere in our dining room. She then walked without her mask to leave out of the restaurant.

    We can see her face. We have no idea who she is. We have the clear footage of her committing the crimes. Is it illegal to post it on social media to find out who she is? Could she take actions against us if we did?

    submitted by /u/PoutineMaker
    [link] [comments]

    The funeral home double plotted my family

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    This is the second time this has happened to my family and we are getting close to the point where we want to sue. I decided to help my mom by posting here in hopes we can build a case or find better options than sue.

    Twenty to thirty years ago my great grandfather purchased six burial plots so we would have somewhere to bury his children and their children for one generation. After he passed we found out the funeral home double sold one of the plots. Easy to solve, right? Just offer to give us our six plots in another location, right? They chose to request we pay 4,000$ to have him moved to another plot with six openings. Luckily after threatening to sue he was moved for free. After this we thought the ordeal was over, sadly we were wrong. Another family member passed away, my great aunt, and we found out they did it again. Three of our relatives are buried there now and we would have to pay 12,000 or so to have them moved to another plot again. My family wants the other person to be moved from our plot instead of moving my three family members.

    -If you're curious as to why the funeral home has managed to do this they are entirely non-digital and belive keeping everything in folders and physical documents is easier.

    I will be able to answer any questions and will check my post as often as I can.

    Edit: Grammar

    Edit 2: Most commonly asked questions pertain to the deed of the plots. We have the deed but the only one who knows exactly where it is is my great aunt, and as mentioned, she just passed away. We need to search her house to find it but we do have it.

    submitted by /u/Karma_Soma
    [link] [comments]

    Fired because I refused to stop taking a prescribed medication [Ohio]

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    Soooo I'm transgender and I take hormone replacement therapy. Idk if those specifics matter but there you go

    Idk how, but my boss (guy who owns the building I worked at) found out that I take HRT (never told him) and he pulled me into his office to ask about it. He lectured me on how it was "unnatural" or whatever and I was "betraying god (?)" and this was about a week ago. He's an asshole overall and I needed the job so I chocked it up to him just being him.

    But today he came in when I was working a shift (he never comes in weekends, so I think he specifically came in for this) and pulled me into his office again. He asked me if I was still taking HRT. I refused to answer. He then fired me, saying that he can't have people on "unnatural substances" working for him. I know of at least four other people who worked with me who took medications for pain and heart conditions.

    Is this even legal? Can my boss truly just decide he doesn't want me taking a certain medication like that?

    submitted by /u/MsFired
    [link] [comments]

    (AB, Canada) Neighbor's Dog Ate Poisonous Plant Off My Front Porch And Died

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    I'm sorry for the long post but it's been really stressing me out.

    So I (26F) am a house plant enthusiast and I love finding some super rare exotic houseplants. During the hot days leading up to cold fall, I like to keep a few on my porch so they can bask in the sun during the day and bring them back in during the colder nights. I do own a few that are more or less poisonous to animals and human consumption however I live alone so I never thought of it to be an issue.

    Last spring, a new family moved in with have two very large dogs. They have two kids probably around 10-12, and almost every day they'll walk these dogs off leash around the neighborhood. I never found this to be a problem because they'll always clean up after the dogs.

    So here's where it all hits the fan. Last Thursday I get a loud bang on my door and it was my neighbor. And based on what his kids are saying, they were walking the dogs and one of them ran onto my porch and started so chew on one of my plants (sago palm). They called him back right away but within 15 minutes their dog started throwing up, having seizures, and died at the vets after they tried pumping out his stomach or something. From the looks of the plant, he ate quite a bit of middle which holds the seeds, which I admit are very toxic to dogs. They now are wanting me to pay for what the dogs costed them, I think he said it was a Purebreed Tibetan Mastiff and they paid $4000. They also want me to pay the vet fee ($2500), emotional damage because his kids are traumatized their dog died right in front of thrm ($1500). I told him that's not fair because it was his dog that came onto my property and ate my plant but he said I shouldn't have such toxic plants in a neighborhood with dogs in the first place. And told me if I don't pay he'll take legal action.

    Now I'm freaking out because I don't have $8000 dollars to pay for all that and I don't know if I can even afford a lawyer if he takes me to court. Do I have any legal right or is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/throaway44776533
    [link] [comments]

    5 cop cars pulled up to my house stating my vehicle is stolen. I bought my car two years ago from a Toyota dealership

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    Hello. I am currently freaking out as 5 cop cars showed up at my house out of nowhere just 3 minites after I went back home from the grocery store.

    note: this is in California

    The cop rang the door bell and asked where I had gotten my vehicle. I told him I bought it approximately 2 years ago from a Toyota dealership in a neighboring city.

    He stated that he ran my plates and that the license plates are not associated with my car, but with a stolen vehicle.

    I am extremely baffled as I have registered my car with the dmv for the last two years with no problems. I also paid off my car and have the pink slip to prove my ownership.

    He stated I need to go to the DMV and get the appropriate plates associated with my VIN.

    Thankfully they left with no fuss but now I'm freaking out as I need my car to go to work and I am scared to drive it as I figure out my license plate situation (and knowing the DMV who knows how long that may take)...

    Does anyone have any advice on this? I printed out the application to get new plates, but unfortunately due to covid the DMV is not taking any new appointments, so I need to mail it in.

    I called the dealership I got it from but they seem just as clueless and sent me voicemail for the customer relations representative for she doesn't work weekends.

    I just really need to drive my car come Monday to work and I cannot afford to not go to work right now. But this all had to happen over the weekend and during covid times so im stressing out.

    Does anyone know how I can fix this? What are the legal reprecussions if I drive my car without having the updated license plates?

    submitted by /u/avatar_mandu
    [link] [comments]

    Is my landlord dead???

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    (portland OR) How can I know if my landlord is dead?? He has 0 online presence, and all I know is the name his property is registered to (my house, the one he lords over, is registered to a holding company, which yields no information when I looked it up on the state treasury website) I am searching through the obits. Last we heard from him was Oct 2019, last time he cashed a check was March 2020. he has made no attempts to contact us or the other tenants.

    submitted by /u/dumbB-bitch
    [link] [comments]

    Help! Recorded in MY home without Consent During Sex

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    I guess I should start with I beyond humiliated with being in this situation at all

    About 2 weeks ago I was in bed with my partner M(36) giving him oral sex, he on his back me between his legs, I feel that he had turned his body, thought nothing of it based on his positive feedback from the act taking place.

    I F(30) had been down there a while and I was coming up for air, I raise the covers and I immediately looking dead at the back of his cellphone in both of his hands turned sideways. I'm completely shocked, frozen and mortified.

    He fumbles around, asks me if I wanted to listen to music. I barely could utter the very deep "NO" that came out of me and that was the end of the session.

    I was shocked and didn't know what to do. I want to believe he somehow was not recording #1 because it would only very dark grainy movements under multiple blankets and then only showing my VERY shocked face at the end and #2 because I have been going crazy these last 2 weeks trying to convince myself this is not happening to me.

    I have asked him to delete the video, and stated in writing that I did not consent to being filmed. This took place in MY home in MY bed. I NEVER let men in my home I have major trust issues with men.

    I'm hoping someone can help explain it away or tell me what I can do to protect myself. I don't feel like it's worth sharing since the room was so dark and my body was covered but it bothers me he would hold on to it at all and someone else view it and see my face.

    Any advice is helpful.

    he is a state police officer in Michigan

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/AmazonSeagoat
    [link] [comments]

    Security Deposit Help for late move out by 1 hour.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    I recently moved out of a property that I had paid $1000 in security deposit for. The move-out day was September 25th, 2020, at 12 pm. I booked a U-Haul for the same day but because of the high volume of users as it was moving out season, I could not get my U-haul on time. So I booked a rental car and was completely moved out by 1 pm. In this one hour, the agent checked up on the house and gave me a thumbs up that it's not a problem that my furniture was on the porch. Today, when I received my security deposit, it said that they have "Forfeited Security Deposit due to late move out" and have kept the $1000. I am an international student and this pandemic has already caused me and my family a lot of economic hardships. What do you think I should do in this situation? Is it even legal to keep the security deposit is it's not for damages and late fees?

    I am located in Philadelphia, PA near the Drexel University campus.

    submitted by /u/Ninja_Ranger_
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to find will of a grandparent in Ontario Canada. Uncle hijacked it and isn't forth coming. Hoarding all monies and assets.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 07:35 PM PDT

    My grandfather died a number of years ago 2004. He had a will. My dad's half-brother was the executor of this will. There has been animosity amongst my grandfather's 3 kids from his first marriage with their stepmother and her 2 kids (My grandfather is the father of all of them. There are 5 kids in total) My uncle has never read the will. (We know there is a will because a cousin accidentally came across it one time while visiting and when he realized what it was he put it back. Didn't read it.) My grandfather said he was in charge of the will. It has never been probated, or read to others. Said uncle has held on to it and has done nothing with it where it concerns the first 3 kids. My question is does my dad and his sisters have any recourse with this and is there anyway to obtain a copy of this will? Is it filed with the land transfer office to change over ownership of my grandfather's home to his wife? Not sure if this important but soon after his death, like within weeks they went on a crazy spending spree - new kitchen, travel trailer, 2 new vehicles etc. The wife recently passed away 2018.

    I can't believe my grandfather would leave out his 3 kids from his first marriage (1st wife died in child birth) from his will. Especially if there were things he wanted to pass on from their mother that he may have had or something from him as a memory. He had a decent relationship with everyone. No one was on the outs with him.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

    Added: I apologize if this isn't written or formatted properly.

    submitted by /u/cliterarybuff
    [link] [comments]

    [IL] QAnon stickers

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 08:30 PM PDT

    Over the last two weeks, someone in my neighborhood keeps placing QAnon stickers on public signs (street signs, stop signs, benches, bike racks near bike trail, etc). I always remove them because they're unsightly, and the next day they're back. Tonight I removed the 50th sticker since I've started counting.

    What I'm doing is legal, right? None of the locations where the stickers are is on private property, and they're all placed on city- owned signs and posts.

    submitted by /u/Observer900
    [link] [comments]

    Fired not because I'm trans, but because our customers don't like that im trans (California)

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    I work (or I guess worked) for a very small company in a rural part of the state. There are somewhere between 10 and 15 employees total, and the "HR Dept" is just the owner and his wife. I've worked there for over 6 months without issue, and up until now I've only received glowing reviews from the owner and the manager. I work hard, and have a good relationship with like, 80% of our regular customers.

    Yesterday, the owner had me come into the office, where he explained that he had gotten dozens of complaints about me, mostly on the phone or in person, but quite a few emails and letters. He showed me a couple, some of which from regular customers that I got on with very well, with phrases like "I'm not coming back until you get rid of that trnny fg" (actual quote). I asked for a copy of it but he declined. Then he said that a lot of these customers were his bread and butter, that he couldn't afford to lose them, and that he had to let me go, for cause (meaning he'll contest my unemployment if I file for it).

    The first thing I did was go home and get drunk, but this morning I'm wondering what, if any options I have. I'm almost certain this is illegal.

    submitted by /u/wellthissucks89
    [link] [comments]

    Coworker has covid symptoms, still showed up, management was informed, did nothing. Can we/how do we report this?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    We have a coworker who's child went back to school. That child's classmate tested positive for covid. The child then started showing symptoms, now the coworker is showing symptoms. She has been coughing so hard she can hardly speak and is hoarse. She left after an hour working today because she was sweating so much. We are required to fill out a pre-screening survey and get our temperatures checked before reporting to work every day, and there is no way she is doing that or answering honestly.

    She has been reported at least twice to management who did nothing about it. Didn't send her home, didn't write her up for not following policy, nothing. She handles food and is in close quarters with coworkers, and it feels as though nothing is being done to protect those of us following the rules.

    Is there any "higher authority" we can report this to to force management to take action, or improve protection for us? We no longer feel safe working because she poses a danger to us.

    EDIT to add, we are in New York state.

    submitted by /u/KMH039
    [link] [comments]

    Friend being scammed by her roommate?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 04:23 AM PDT

    Posting on behalf of my friend who doesn't use reddit and is looking for some opinions. This is taking place is New Hampshire, USA.

    My friend moved out of her family home and moved in with her roommate a few months ago (2 I think) and thinks her roommate is scamming her out of utilities. This is her first time living on her own. Her roommate asked her for utilities, tell her she owed her $150 for her 50% of electric and WiFi. She paid her the $150 and casually brought it up in convo with me and her family, in which we all came to an agreement that there is no way her WiFi + electric total is $300 a month. We told her she needed to ask for the bill, but her roommate refuses to show her.

    My friend decided to find a new place (currently just month to month contract) and gave her 30 day notice. She asked her roommate to pay her back for the excess money, but she refuses. After some searching, my found her WiFi plan online which is just $40 a month, which would mean she just pays $20. So she asked again to see the electric bill because we're still skeptical of a $260 total electric bill for the month and, yet again, she refuses to show her. She later told my friend that she was taking extra money and saving it for the winter heat bill, but 1) how do we know she's saving it? 2) she never told my friend this and 3) my friend is moving out, so won't be there for winter.

    Is there anything my friend can do to get her money back? She thinks her friend is committing fraud, but this isn't our area of expertise. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/dokina
    [link] [comments]

    Is the insurance company of the vehicle that hit my car responsible for my transportation costs while I wait for the claim to be completed? (IL)

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 07:46 PM PDT

    My car was hit by an Amazon Contractor employee on while it was parked on the road in mid August. He tried to run but his car couldn't make it very far so the Police made a report and provided me all the information. I called the driver and his employer with no response but the truck he was driving was a rental from a large fleet rental company. I called them who put a claim in with them which is being handled by a third party insurance company who is taking their sweet time filing the claim (I didn't get an adjuster to even look at the vehicle until mid September). Since the accident I've had no vehicle or a way to purchase one without the claim money. My wife has been able to drive me to and from work when she's available but I've had to use Uber/ Lyft quite a bit and it's adding up. Is the third party insurance responsible for any of my costs while I'm waiting for them to finish the claim?

    submitted by /u/throwlegalawayadvixe
    [link] [comments]

    Renting a house for 5 years and my landlady now wants to move in and wants me out.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 02:20 PM PDT

    This is in NY. Suffolk County to be more exact. After a divorce, I rented a 2 bedroom house for me and my son. Signed a 2 year lease, first, last and 2 security deposits (she had issues with her last tenant I was told). She started out living in another dwelling, but kept a small apartment in what would be the basement. 1 electric meter and 1 furnace. She was barely there, so I never felt like I was paying a crazy amount for the 2. Year 2, I decided, as a convenience, to predate 12 rent checks, so she could cash them when rent was due. Lived out the 2 years, we both decided that it was ok to sign another lease, but she never got around to it. But assured me that her lawyer said it's all good, it's like we're still going by the same lease. 2 more years go by, no issues. That is, until she hired 2 contractors (moonlighting iron workers who showed up whenever they felt like it). They started last sept, and still haven't finished. Covid hits, and she decides to hide out in her apartment, which turns into "I'd like to move upstairs and you can move down here, without your son" (who has been working since he's been legal, bought his own used car and helps with the bills, and I have NO thought about throwing him out). Since then, it's just gotten worse. Texts at all hours of the night, telling me to stop smoking in her house (we are non-smokers), she accused myself and my son of robbing her apartment (she has 2 cameras, a WiFi deadbolt, ring doorbell and a house alarm for her area. Oh, and the breaker panel is downstairs as well.)When she threatened to call the police unless her stuff was returned, I asked her if she'd like me to call them for her. She said she would. Still waiting. She also accused me of stealing the pre-dated checks I wrote to her, which mysteriously ended up cashed with her signature on the back for the rent. I guess what I'm asking, is this legit harassment? I'm in the myst of buying my first home, and I'm fairly certain, with all of her wackiness, I won't see the security deposits unless I take her to court. Would me cancelling the rest of the checks and just living out 1 month of that security be an issue she could take me to court over, as some kind of "expectation of payment"? If there's anything else I'm not explaining well, please let me know. Thanks.

    Edit... turns out her apartment is illegal if that means much.

    submitted by /u/DMBandit
    [link] [comments]

    Found termites after closing. Need legal advice. State of Virginia

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    I recently bought a house! Yey first time home buyer. I closed on September 11 2020. Everything was going good. Until I found the baseboard looked funny and thought it might be mold. So I didn't touch it to not disturb it until I contacted the Home inspector. When I finally got the go ahead to pry the baseboard open I was presented with termites. The Home inspection report said the house was good. no moisture damage and termite free. I want to know what my options are. Can I back out? Do I have a legal battle on my hands? Or am I S.o.l? I need advice.

    submitted by /u/RiqoSnow
    [link] [comments]

    Noise complaint Tacoma, WA

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    I have a neighbor whose backyard is diagonal to mine. He is renting and moved in right before COVID. Beginning this spring he starts playing music with his speakers outside starting at 7:30 am, going well into the afternoon. It's so loud you can hear it inside our house when the windows are closed. I've filed noise complaints via our city's website three times now, uploading videos I've taken that are time stamped hours apart. I have called our police non emergency line twice and they have gone over to speak with him. It stops for a few days then he starts back up again. Is there a way I can look up the owner of the property or the company he is renting through to file complaints with them?

    From our city website: The City of Tacoma enforces a noise ordinance (TMC 8.122) that sets community standards for sound levels so that all people can enjoy our neighborhoods. Excessive noise interrupts residents from enjoying Tacoma's natural environment.

    Noises that last longer than one minute, are distinctly louder than other noises in the area and are re-occurring are likely noise violations. Common noise violations include:

    Music heard from more than 100 feet away (example: loud speakers)

    submitted by /u/River_Blue
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot Complete House Sale Due to Mystery Mortgage

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    Earlier this week, we were all set and cleared to close on Friday and then this news came and really dashed our homebuying dreams. This is our first time trying to buy a house so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Closing got held up by last minute title issue due to an open mortgage apparently requiring a cancellation from the bank holding the note. The problem is that the seller, who inherited the house from his late father, does not have documentation of the mortgage being paid off. From what clerk of court records tell us, his dad bought the house in 1994 in cash in full. However, it appears that he immediately took out a mortgage against the house, and from there the paper trail drops off. According to the son and single fax from a bank that is no longer in business (absorbed by Capital One), that mortgage was paid off in full in 2003 but there's no record of the mortgage being closed with the city (New Orleans). Our title attorney hasn't given us a lot of hope and we're doing our best to look into it on our own.

    The original mortgage company was Mortgage America Inc. Our title attorney told us that he called them (in Pennsylvania) and that they said they don't issue mortgages out of state. Since hearing that we noticed a P.O. box address on the mortgage listed in Birmingham, AL--where there is apparently another Mortgage America Inc in practice. We plan on calling them when they open on Monday.

    There have not been any liens on the house at any point that we're aware of. Would it be possible for the seller to take this before a judge and have them close the mortgage etc?

    submitted by /u/krupke
    [link] [comments]

    Mom's New BF 'transient occupant' or 'tenent'

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 06:42 PM PDT

    My mom has a new boyfriend who is moving from another state to live with her in a small house that she owns in Florida. They have only been together for a few months. I'm hoping that this will work out well and they'll be happy together. But this scenario has some red flags for me.

    I looked up Florida's guest laws to see if a guest can legally be considered a tenant after a set number of days. Luckily, Florida law will consider a guest to be a "transient occupant" by virtue of a list of factors.

    The factors include:

    No ownership, financial, or leasehold interest in the subject premises.

    No utility bills in the transients name

    No government ID with the subject property address

    No mail with the subject property address

    Pays nothing, or little, in exchange for the occupancy

    Does not have their own room

    Has minimal personal possessions at the subject premises

    Has a residence elsewhere

    I specifically have a question about the last factor. The man lives in a luxury RV, which is part of the reason that he is able to move so quickly and easily. Would this be considered a residence elsewhere? And are there any other avenues I should be considering where a potential scam could occur?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/beerandpopcorn
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor filed a lien on my primary residence

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 03:13 PM PDT

    I hired a private contracted company to repipe my primary residence in Phoenix, AZ. This home was built in 1945 so it needed all new plumbing.

    Originally, in the contract, there was a line item for replacing the main sewer. We had assumed it needed replacement, but this company said they can't tell if it needed to be repiped until they get into the job. We had a verbal conversation that if they found out that something did not need replacing, they would not replace it, and the line item would be taken off the final invoice.

    They found out the main did not need replacing! Good news! I inquired if the line item would be taken off the final invoice (it's $8,000) and he said "we would square up at the end of the job."

    The work is 85% of the way done, and the owner of the company sent me an invoice that includes the main sewer replacement, which I neither wanted them to replace, nor did they actually replace any of it.

    I sent an email to the owner of the company, requesting it be taken off. Two hours after I sent that, my project manager informed me that they cancelled further work on my primary residence, and have filed a lien on my house title.

    Can this company file a lien? They didn't provide the service, so I'm not going to pay them for it (I am more than willing to pay for the work I signed a contract to do!). What options do I have if I believe this lien has been filed unjustly?

    submitted by /u/lukehebard
    [link] [comments]

    Is my marriage still valid?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    When my wife and I got our marriage license, she signed it with my last name and got a service to change it for her.

    Just found out that the service never received the paperwork and my wife has since decided to keep her maiden name (totally fine by me, my parents did the same) but does this have any effect on our marriage legally? Location MA

    submitted by /u/moderndudeingeneral
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a car over a week ago from a dealership. Everything was signed, I got insurance for it, and then I got a call from the dealership last night saying I owe them an additional $2,600.......

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 07:13 AM PDT

    So like the title says, I've been driving the car for over a week now. I paid $2,500 down, and the rest was financed through the credit union I bank with. The car salesperson was in direct contact with my credit union, faxing info to them and speaking with them on the phone the day I bought the car. I was told that everything was approved, and I signed all the papers and happily drove home in my new car. Last night, the dealership calls me and says that actually the full amount was NOT covered and we owe them an additional $2,600. I am panicking because I worked so hard to build my credit and be financed through my credit union. I do not have an extra $2,600. He quickly said that he already found a different bank we could go through, but I told him I would need to speak with my bank tomorrow(now today) and that I would call him back.

    I don't understand how I could sign all the papers and be driving the car all week if it wasn't fully financed..... Something feels very off here. I sent an e-mail directly to the salesperson I had been working with asking for an explanation. She did not reply, but instead her boyfriend(who also works there, but is not the same person who called me) sent me an email back. This is what it said:

    "We have a approval for the same payment that you signed up at it is just with a different bank. Columbia Credit union. Just need you sign a membership application. We can e-mail it to you if you do not want to come to the dealership.

    Thanks

    Jason "

    So not only was my question dodged completely, but they are trying to push me to another credit union. Something feels off here. Should I just return the car to them? Is there something they aren't telling me? Any insight is very much appreciated. My stomach has been in knots over this.

    submitted by /u/AdventureGirl18
    [link] [comments]

    Friend and I were nearly hit by a car on purpose.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    [Sweden]

    Friend and I were walking home through a neighbourhood when we spotted a car slowly driving through each no-through road of the neighbourhood. It looked suspicious so I decided to try to catch the licence plate secretly on camera. I think it saw us doing so and at the next intersection it blocked our way across the street, looked at us and kept going (We managed to catch its registration plate and got an idea of how they looked, via eyes I put my phone away after I took 1 low quality pic because I was scared they might notice.). It turned back around and started speeding towards us, we noticed this halfway across the street and sprinted the rest of the way. As we were nearing the end, the car sweaved towards us barely missing me by a centimeter. Then it sped away from the neighbourhood. We filed a police report the moment after.

    But we are not sure if the Police report will lead to anything as they did not hit us and we have only our testimonies, what could we expect?

    submitted by /u/Oliver_pac
    [link] [comments]

    Shady former employer situation that I need some counsel in...

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    Hey, folks. Licensed Massage Therapist here in Denver, Colorado. I also cross-posted this in the massage thread, but figured this would be a good sub-reddit to post in too. (December 2019 grad). I have a previous post regarding this predicament if you'd like to read more on my profile.

    TL;DR: Former employer assaulted me after "firing" me for not wanting to work there/take a training. Former employer is now harassing me for money I supposedly owe here due to a contract clause I signed at commencement of employment regarding sponsored benefits; however, the clause was not specific as to what sponsored benefits pertained to. The owner is trying to obtain money for the business cards and email they provided for me, and this was added to the clause in handwriting without me signing to the ammended clause.

    I got hired at a private business back in January, comprising of the owner and one other therapist who'd been there for awhile. The owner hired me as an independent contractor; however, how the owner runs it is very much reflective of an employee relationship rather than independent contractor. They provided sheets, room, booking system, cream-requested I work set shifts, no wiggle room, and we got paid via Venmo (no taxes taken out obviously). When I got hired, the agreement was also that the owner would train me in a specific service that the business specialized in and that I couldn't learn it anywhere else.

    It seemed like a really good fit for awhile, but then, events started unfolding and I began noticing really toxic and unhealthy dyamics. Said training was continuously pushed back and by the time they finalized the training, I realized it wasn't a healthy environment for me anymore. The owner called a meeting with me after a very inappropriate email was sent regarding my hesitation in the training.

    During this meeting, I told the owner I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the training anymore (due to extremely unreasonable cost, not feeling comfy taking the training from her, etc) and that I wasn't happy working for them anymore. Long story short, she "fired" me after I said this, told me I was selfish and manipulated the situation to where they were making it seem like I was selfish, that I dishonored their business and went back on my word, that I was extremely flawed in character, that I was an ego-maniac, had no respect, yadda yadda.

    As I was leaving the establishment, she screamed at me to get the fuck out, threw my shoes out the door, told me I owed her money, and violently shoved me into the door pillar and out on the street. Quite shocking, to be honest.

    She then proceeded to text me today saying I owed her $232 for business cards and the email I had while employed with a screenshot of the contract clause I signed...the clause read, "Massage therapists contracted with {business} are conratcually obligated to work at least one year past the date of any sponsored benefits provided. If employment is terminated for any reason prior to one year past said benefit, the massage therapist is responsible for repayment of the sponsorship." I signed this on 1/26/2020 and beneath it was a handwritten notation of cost of business cards and email written on 3/5/2020, that of which I did not sign.

    I'm really not sure what to do here because when I was hired, I understood sponosored benefits as continuing education and trainings and it was not clear what said sponsored benefits meant.

    Any and all legal/professional advice would be much appreciated. I'm a newb and feel like I defintiely got taken advantage of, and want to proceed (or lie still) with caution. Thanks in advance <3

    submitted by /u/Spaceshrooms17
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment