• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 27, 2020

    Legal Advice - An "amphitheater" was built 1 mile away from my neighborhood, and the concerts are progressively getting louder. The bass literally rattles our houses. Residents are upset. What legal action can realistically be taken?

    Legal Advice - An "amphitheater" was built 1 mile away from my neighborhood, and the concerts are progressively getting louder. The bass literally rattles our houses. Residents are upset. What legal action can realistically be taken?


    An "amphitheater" was built 1 mile away from my neighborhood, and the concerts are progressively getting louder. The bass literally rattles our houses. Residents are upset. What legal action can realistically be taken?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 07:07 AM PDT

    State: Texas.

    We bought our house in 2015 in a new, growing neighborhood. In 2018, the city started building an amphitheater 1 mile away. I don't remember when the first concert was (for a long time my husband and I just thought we had a shitty neighbor having a loud party every weekend) but at best it was end of summer 2018 or spring 2019. The music/bass rattles our house and this will go on for hours. We didn't hear much over the summer due to the Pandemic, but they started playing again this past weekend, and it was louder than in the past (we've heard rumors they're louder to better reach the "socially distanced" crowd). We were subjected to sound checks starting on Thursday that went to 11pm then Friday and Saturday non-stop music and bass from 3:30pm-12am. We're a mile away and our wall decorations were literally rattling.

    When we moved in, we had to sign a disclaimer acknowledging we might hear dogs barking at a dog boarding facility, which is between our house and the current stage location, and we can sometimes hear quietly on the horizon. The concert is at least 10x louder than this (not to mention, the stress it must be causing those dogs).

    Residents are obviously very unhappy about this, as you see cars driving around trying to find the noise when it starts, and there are many complaints in online forums. Some have been talking about hiring lawyers to make the city do something.

    The thing is, I have have been looking for cases with similar situations and I haven't found one where the ruling comes out in the citizen's favor. My husband and I had already been planning to move earlier this year, but put our plans on hold due to COVID-19. But now I'm feeling like there's a clock ticking where my home value is about to take a hard dip due to this.

    So my question is: how likely will the residents be able to get any real change if we get lawyers involved, or should we just cut our losses and try to get out before next summer starts up?

    I'm aware that we now need to disclose this amphitheater when we sell (and we will disclose it), but my thoughts are that it's relatively new and there's no news stories out about the unhappy residents yet. We are coming to the end of the outdoor concert season, so it will be quiet again for a few more months and I can get out without losing much home value. My fear is if I wait it will be well-documented as a nuisance and I will lose significant value in my equity.

    Other info

    • To the best of our knowledge, we were not notified about this. We're fairly meticulous about going through mail, and we certainly didn't sign anything okay-ing this.

    • The city grossly overpaid and are very likely desperately trying to make their money back, which will mean more concerns as fast as they can schedule them. We know this because as we were walking around the neighborhood while our house was rattling from noise, we met a city council member who was walking around and asked us some questions about the noise, and flat out said the amphitheater cost $4 million more than expected and they don't know why.

    • While they call the venue an "amphitheater", this technically isn't an amphitheater, but a sound stage on a flat field with no trees or anything to contain the sound. The stage faces our neighborhood with hundreds of houses and thousands of residents. In the other direction, it's mostly farmland.

    • Concerts are not always on Fri/Sat/Sun night. In the past, they have even done Thursday concerts with Wednesday sound checks.

    submitted by /u/Church_Candy
    [link] [comments]

    [MI Michigan, USA] HR told me to dye my gray roots

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 02:40 PM PDT

    My HR department has been nitpicking me over everything lately but their recent attack left me floored. They told me that my gray roots were unprofessional looking and that I needed to dye over them so my hair is one uniform natural color.

    There's no specific provision in the salaried workers handbook that states female employees over 40 are prohibited from going gray naturally.

    Does this count as age discrimination?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DV8fromthaNrm
    [link] [comments]

    Correctional facility staff is requiring jewish inmates to get letters from their temple or rabbi to get kosher meals. Is this legal? Colorado.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 01:15 PM PDT

    A halfway house type correctional facility in Colorado is demanding a letter from my rabbi stating that it is necessary for me to have kosher meals.

    I came in to the facility kosher. I am renewing my faith this year after years of alcoholism and my partner is converting for marriage so we are doing this together. My issue is that this letter is due on Monday (Sept 28) at noon, and I am serving a sentence in a county/region where i do not live. I currently do most of my classes and worship online when feasible. Not to mention that I'd rather not disclose to my temple and rabbi back home that I'm serving a jail sentence. I do not yet belong to a temple here and it's not as simple as wandering in and demanding a verification letter.

    This was not an issue before, but as of last week, several ornery inmates have changed their food preference to kosher just to mess with staff and cause them trouble. Now I'm getting screwed in the crossfire.

    Is it legal for them to require verifiable documentation of my religious belief or belonging to a temple in order to provide kosher meals? I'm the only one I've noticed who does any prayer or practice and I really am bothered that these other people have made things difficult for me.

    submitted by /u/octopushotdog
    [link] [comments]

    (MN) Racist employer fired me for being Japanese. Now he says I owe him $1100 for a handheld device that I returned in the same condition I got it in.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 03:02 PM PDT

    I am part Japanese (Born in Hong Kong and grew up in Japan) and a naturalized US citizen. For context, I'm a trans man, and I look like a 15 year old boy due to my height, voice, and feminine features despite being 26. I've been on testosterone shots for 7 years, and most people don't recognize me as female anymore but do ask me questions like what high school I go to.

    Three years ago, I started working at a Chinese restaurant owned by a friend of my dad's, who is Chinese. He said I sounded "like a Jap" in a rude way like that when I spoke Mandarin to him with an accent for the job interview, but I just let it go. He said I did a good job for 3 years and never raised or lowered my hours unless I asked him to due to my grad school schedule.

    I know that he has an axe to grind with white people in general and ranted about them a lot or talked about them behind their backs when they couldn't understand him.

    I came in one day about a month ago, and he asked me to read something that was written in Japanese. I didn't know his bigoted views, and I did. He was like, "I thought so. Your race traitor dad married a Jap." Paraphrased, but he was rude like that. I said to relax because I don't support any sort of racism happening over there nor what they did in the early 20th century. He's like, fine, but I'm only keeping you on until you get out of high school. (He either forgets my age constantly or pretends he does.)

    Then he gives me my first negative review a week later and says that customers stop coming when I serve them because I look like a young girl and not a man, and they think he's employing children. I don't know if he found out I was trans, but I'm suspicious. I'm not sensitive to the point where I care what he thinks, but he was my employer and trans and sexist harassment is illegal. He said I should get jacked, grow a beard, and find a wife so I don't look like a kid during a performance meeting, implying I should do that as a condition of employment. (Age and maritial discrimination as well?)

    Then he fired me randomly saying my performance is unacceptable and just started cursing when I asked for details. Basically, "You're just a monkey and I'm tired of you driving customers away." I returned a handheld computer in good condition. It worked the same as it had when I got it and no cracks in the screen. He inspected it in front me and found nothing wrong. Now he's messaging me a week later saying it needs to be replaced and I owe him $1100 to do so. I did not sign anything about a deposit or replacement costs. If I don't pay, can he sue me? Do I need an attorney? I know he probably won't get in trouble for anything being a small business under 15 employees, but can I report him to a labor board for what I think is obviously a discriminatory firing and retaliation for "tricking him" as he put it? I don't want to sue for my job back and work for his toxic @$$ again. Just put in a complaint so he thinks twice about being racist to the next Japanese who comes in (and white people for that matter).

    submitted by /u/Firedwhattodo
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate gave up my room to someone else while I was away, I’m paying rent but they are getting my bedroom for much less money.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    This is my first post here but someone recommended I add it so here goes.

    I (19f)got an apartment with my friend Laurel (20f) 7 months back and due to recent events I had to stay with my parents and haven't been able to move in yet. The rent is 2000 and I'm paying 1000 a month still. I've paid all seven months even though I haven't actually lived there yet, but that's ok because it's my responsibility.

    Laurel on the other hand was able to move right in, she pays her half of rent. In the first month she was there she texted me and asked if her friend (Franny) could stay in my bedroom for a few days while she gets back on her feet. I allowed it but said on the off chance that it lasts longer than a few days I would like Franny to be out of my room by the 20th as that's when I was moving back in.

    I showed up on then 20th and Franny was still living there, I talked to Laurel privately and Laurel informed me that Franny is our guest, has been paying 200 a month to stay, and she won't force Franny to forfeit her room. Even though I'm paying 1000 for a bedroom Laurel told me I was more than welcome to sleep on the couch. I refused and said she had two weeks and if one of them didn't move out by then I was going to take it to the police.

    I'm staying in a hotel and Laurel texted me and said she told Franny I'm making her leave and I guess Franny threw a fit. Now Laurel is saying I'm not allowed to move back at all and Franny has every right to stay in my room... even though she's only paying $200.

    There's no rules about the amount of days guests can stay in the apartment that I can see in my lease agreement (that me and Laurel signed together) and Laurel is claiming Franny as a guest. The only rule about guests is they can't use the reserved renters car spots, and she is using my parking spot so that could be something. I'm still paying for another person to live in my place, and I can't force my way into the apartment that would make things worse. I don't really wanna search for a new place after I've already invested so much money in this one. Does anyone have any ideas on how I legally get this woman out of my room?

    submitted by /u/ClassyFryingPan
    [link] [comments]

    Can my dad get evicted?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 06:17 AM PDT

    Location: NC. Long story short, my father made written threats against a neighbor to the landlord. The landlord has these emails. My father was terrified because the neighbor had COVID a couple months ago and my dad said that he doesn't wear a mask but needs to. I agree the neighbor should wear a mask, but my dad can't go around making threats. The landlord contacted me out of concern and was going to make my dad an offer to move out before going forward with eviction. I'm 99% sure my dad is showing signs of dementia, I've tried to get him to get help but he insists he's "fine." Can my dad get evicted in the middle of the pandemic? Bonus question: how I can get my dad proper medical attention if he does have dementia? I'm even wondering if this situation will be the starting point for him to get help.

    submitted by /u/cosmicdoobie
    [link] [comments]

    Manager forcing me to stay on premises during lunch break

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    On my new hire paperwork from when I started, it states I'm allowed an uninterrupted lunch break of 30 minutes minimum, one hour maximum.

    As of late on the weekends I have been taking my lunch outside as normal to pick up food, eat at outdoor dining restaurant and a handful of my "coworkers" (same building, different departments) have been complaining they need assistance from me, but can't get any help because I'm gone. I do come back within the hour and have never been late to clock back in.

    My manager is now telling me I MUST stay on premises during lunches to assist this other department. She says to clock out and in as normal so the time sheet looks fine, but still work to assist them. Is my manager allowed to make me stay in the office during my lunch?

    This is in California

    submitted by /u/SadDadRadDad
    [link] [comments]

    Who owns the antiquity on my property?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    The land I own has been in my familys name for about 2 centuries. On it is a lot if artifacts. Everything from native american burial remains and arrow heads to literal fucking dinosaur remains. The land spans about 150 acres. And we have all legal rights to the property. Water, mineral, and so on. The land is in every legal way ours. The land hasn't been disturbed since a coal mining operation in the 1890s, and so a lot of this shit is literally just waiting there (including the abandoned remains of it said mining operation).

    It's sort of got me wondering, do I own these bones too? Is the old mine my property? Are the arrow heads mine? Ate the 100+ year old vehicles mine?

    U.S Law, Kentucky.

    submitted by /u/wehosh
    [link] [comments]

    Realtor messed up. Now basically homeless for 7 days until we can take possession. (Indiana)

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    Am closing on a home tomorrow. Last night around 7pm got a text from my fiance and I's realtor that she misread the contract and that we do not getting possession of the house until 7 days after we close. The realtor had read an older contract before the sellers countered our offer and changed it.

    We have already sublet our apartment have to be out by tomorrow due to this as we thought we were getting the keys at closing. Our realtor knows they messed up and have offered to pay for our hotel for 7 days. We also countered that and had them extend our uhaul rental for another week and pay for a moving company due to us taking days off in order to move. Waiting to hear back about all of this but we close in 16 hours after this post.

    Should we have asked for more from the realtor, does it seem like enough, or is there any legal action we can take?

    If any further info will help I can reply to comments.

    submitted by /u/PhoenixKing1337
    [link] [comments]

    Ticket at a shooting range? Iowa

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    I received a ticket at a shooting range in Guthrie center IA for "Hunting or trespassing on a game management area" (sec#481A.6). The reason the officer gave for ticketing me was that I did not put my target all the way against the backstop. There where signs posted saying to put targets at the backstop and I did not, But it doesn't seem like that law applies to what I was reprimanded for. Should I go to court or pay the $100?

    https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/ico/section/481A.6.pdf

    submitted by /u/rofulz
    [link] [comments]

    Scorpions found in apartment & landlord has been ignoring our emails after spraying us a couple times.. have asked for something more not given any other option other than spraying. We have a new baby who’s beginning to crawl & are wondering if we can break the lease without paying? ARIZONA

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    We have had issues with scorpions since we moved here in February and we have been sprayed a couple times & it's not working so a couple months ago I emailed the manager asking if there was anything else they could do because my son would start crawling soon and they didn't do anything different. In the past 3 weeks we've emailed them twice & they have been just ignoring us; which is annoying because in the monthly rent we pay for part of the pest control bill & we are just over it and wondering if anyone could give us legal advice about breaking a lease?

    submitted by /u/est200fc
    [link] [comments]

    Mistaken for dead-Pa

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 06:28 AM PDT

    My grandmother called me this morning, crying and upset because she received a letter from the state agency that handles her retirement funds. It was addressed to the executor of her estate, and explained that they'd been informed she was dead. They requested a bunch of information, including death certificate, social security number and banking info. The phone number listed on the letter matches the one on the state agency's website.

    I'm assuming this was an error, rather than fraud. The date on the letter was September 13 (it was sent to a former address, then forwarded to her current one, hence the delay) which was around the time she made a change to her medical plan as well. So I suspect that plan change was incorrectly input as a death.

    My question is this: beyond calling the agency themselves, is there anything else we should be doing to correct this? She wants to get state representatives involved, because it's close to the end of the month, and she's concerned about her checks being stopped while this is sorted out. I don't disagree with this, just wondering if I'm missing anything legally?

    submitted by /u/FKAShit_Roulette
    [link] [comments]

    [VA, USA] After separating, my child informed me their father had been sexually abusing them profoundly and the GAL arrives this week.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 06:38 PM PDT

    EDIT: Need to clarify - the GAL is coming due to the sexual abuse. I filed a protection order on my child's behalf. During the PPO hearing the judge ordered the GAL for my child.

    When I spoke to the GAL it was only brief, but what can I provide during their visit to help them get the full picture or what information is necessary? Does my child need to disclose the abuse to the GAL for them to act on it? My child is currently in a constant angry state with me as they believe I knew and did nothing to protect them. They've shut down on this topic currently and I don't see it opening in the next couple of days, which I will not press. I didn't know, but now I do and will do everything I can to protect them from that pain happening ever again.

    I want to prepare ahead of time knowing they are swamped with cases and my child needs to be protected.

    The items I am already preparing:

    1. My child's doctors contact information with brief description of the services provided. One doctor pointed out my child's change in demeanor a year ago and their concern for it. (My husband explained it away and blamed it on me and my child.)

    2. Signed statements with contact information from witnesses of my child's disclosures or people who witnessed the sexual abuse trauma behaviors. (We didn't know at the time the lashing out/hypersexual behavior was due to sexual abuse.)

    3. Contact information for all the CPS and law enforcement officers who have or are working the case.

    4. A calendar of events to bring the big picture into focus.

    Also, how have you advised your clients to prep the children for the GAL? I've told my child when the GAL is arriving, that they are their friend, they like to protect children, and it is important to tell the truth. If they have questions then ask, if they disagree then say so, if they are uncomfortable then get another adult, and if they don't understand then say that rather than I don't know.

    I completely believe my child. The details they know are too specific and graphic for a child to know. Hells, I didn't understand some of the things described. Additionally, my child's turn in behavior, my husband's actions, and the unhealthy boundaries between them make so much sense with this information. If I have to detail the abuse, I will probably cry. How much does GAL's look down on that? Throughout the legal process I've been instructed to show no emotion/keep level-headed. I could at first when it was something that could have had an alternate explanation, but that was before the whole can of worms exploded. It is hard not to breakdown at the information now.

    submitted by /u/stbx_is_a_pedophile
    [link] [comments]

    Sister won’t sign succession papers.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    My sister and I are heirs to our father's estate in an interstate succession case out of Louisiana. The lawyer sent us both paperwork that appoints our aunt as the independent administrator since we are both out of state. I already signed/notarized my papers and mailed them. My sister has been iffy. What happens is she untimely refuses to sign? What can I do?

    submitted by /u/Pegasaurus8
    [link] [comments]

    Illegal subtenant refuses to leave even though tenant’s lease is up (California). Subtenant has gotten lawyer and demands money to move out. Why can’t they just be thrown out?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    Note: I am close friends with the landlord, but have had a lot of conversations with them, so I feel like I have all of the pertinent details correct.

    Landlord owns a property in California and wants to sell. Landlord has been renting this property to a tenant with a lease that ends at the end of September. When landlord went to start preparing the house for sale, it was discovered that the tenant was not living there, but had sublet it to another person. Tenant was currently living in another state. The contract with the tenant clearly states that they are not permitted to sublet.

    The subtenant had an agreement with the tenant to stay until November and refused to move out. Landlord offered some money to subtenant to move out. Subtenant refused and was harassing workers who were preparing house for sale (subtenant had received required 24 hour notice of work). Subtenant got a lawyer to write landlord a cease and desist letter to stop work and other "harassment". Landlord finished necessary work for sale preparation, so that is no longer an issue. Subtenant's lawyer is apparently very aggressive and they are now seeking more money for subtenant to move out.

    I don't understand why subtenant can't just be thrown out. It seems like the contract subtenant has is with the tenant. If that was not legally constructed, why do the landlords have to honor the subtenant's residency? Why can't the landlords just call the police, and say, "This person is illegally residing in my property. They are not listed on the lease and the lease forbids subletting. I would like them removed."? It seems very straightforward to me, so what am I missing?

    I do understand that there are COVID restrictions in place on evictions, but as I understand it, they are for people who are financially impacted by COVID and can't pay rent, and they only apply only to legal residents which the subtenant is not, so these regulations shouldn't apply in this case, right?

    EDIT: Thanks for all the explanations everyone - I think I'm beginning to understand how the law sees this (although I think it is effed up). The landlord does have a lawyer who has advised to pay the tenant to move out. I'm just trying to see how something so wrong goes this way. The landlord is really good people and this subtenant (and lawyer) seem to be taking advantage of them to a costly amount.

    EDIT II: Thanks all! I totally understand the situation my friend is in now and why his lawyer has advised to just pay the subtenant to move out. I guess it is safer for the state to err on the side of the resident than the owner, but this case seems like outright extortion to me.

    submitted by /u/Gramposity
    [link] [comments]

    Child Labor Laws

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    I'm 17 and was scheduled for 28 1/2 hours to work this week. I work and reside in Pennsylvania.

    Technically with the days I'd have 30 minute and 15 minute breaks and stuff, but would that still legally put me at 28 1/2 hours?

    Because PA law says no more than 28 hours. I will talk to my employer, but I need to know if this is legal.

    submitted by /u/karinariku
    [link] [comments]

    Company I work for is blatantly lying to public.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 03:20 PM PDT

    Throwaway account for obvious reasons. I currently work for a medium to large sized bank in the United States. Recently, the bank was hit with ransomware which has shut down the bank's operations for the past few days. This has directly impacted the customer (not being able to make payments on credit cards, log into their accounts etc.). In response, the bank has blatantly lied saying all of this is a result of scheduled maintenance and nothing more. I believe this is wrong and the customer has a right to know the truth. After all we house a great deal of their personal data. I have two questions:

    1) Are the bank's actions illegal? They are obviously unethical in my opinion but I would like to know if they are breaking the law.

    2) If I inform people of this online, is there a chance I can be legally attacked by the bank?

    submitted by /u/comethrowawaywithme-
    [link] [comments]

    Pregnant ex moved to Georgia from Tennessee, need advice on starting a child custody case after son is born.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 09:16 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here, so, I'm sorry if this doesn't completely hold up to the criteria of what other posts would entail, but I'm going to try to make this easy to interpret.

    So, around late May - early June I got laid off from a factory I had been working at for nearly a year due to Covid. Not long after we go and visit her aunt and uncle whom she lived with prior to moving to Tennessee. She begs me to move down there with her, and I reluctantly agree as I had thought about moving near the area once I was done with school and further in my career. I tell her give me a month to let me finish the next step in my school progress and I'll come down, but stay until then because I'd miss her and it isnt that long. She stays the month, and even though I'm not done I help her move down to Georgia and keep saving money for a deposit and a few months of rent so she can get us a place when I am ready. A week after the day I left to come back here she breaks up with me over text. I beg her to stay and try to salvage anything I can because I wanted to build a family with her but she refuses.

    (More relevant section with more recent info)

    Now, were a little less than 2 months from the due date in the middle of November. I've checked up on her status with the baby appointments and try to check back every few weeks and have a semi-open line of communication with her. She has said she wants to co-parent but is essentially refusing to let me keep my son during any point over-night for 6-9 months. We both have found new relationships, she begs me not to take her to court over the matter even though I refuse not to because i want everything in legal writing so that I cant get screwed over down the line, and I want to be able to be in my son's life because I never had a dad and know how much it hurts.

    There are more details I may comment later if they become relevant, but for now, what I need to know is...

    which state should I start the paternity case in?

    when can I start a custody case to ensure I'll be able to see my son? (I dont want to completely take him out of her life, I just need to make sure she cant keep him out of mine.)

    How do I file for child support so that I can start paying in immediately as I know the court is almost certain to take her side no matter what, and I would prefer not to be screwed over by owing child support from time I could have already been paying.

    submitted by /u/kharma972
    [link] [comments]

    [California] Utility company (not landlord) keeps shutting off water for entire days without notice for "emergency repairs." Any recourse at all?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    I'm worried I already know the answer to this but it's making it difficult to live here. I just woke up to find my water will be off til 4pm today. I had to go find that on their website because they don't notify at all.

    Several times in the last few months my water has been shut off with zero notice or warning for "emergency repairs." One time this did indeed seem like an emergency, water mains were breaking all over and the city was flooding. None of the other times have been so dramatic. This has happened several times over the last couple of months, and the shutoffs have ranged from 4 hours to 16 hours.

    Is there any parameter by which they have to define/prove "emergency"?

    Is there any requirement for them to notify in some way - if it's an emergency I understand there can't be notice, but why am I always finding out by trying to take a shower?

    Frankly I just don't believe that all of these repairs are emergencies. If they need to be done that's fine, but I want to try to force them to notify me. If I'd known about this last night I wouldn't have left dirty dishes in the sink and I would have showered the night before and refilled my britta pitcher. They should have to plan ahead better, I know emergencies happen but it seems very unlikely that every single time is an emergency - they know this water main is problematic, why is there never any scheduled maintenance on it if that's the case. How can I make them notify/ideally warn ahead? PG&E, for all the shit everyone talks, has a notification system and communicates these things. Why doesn't the WATER company have to do that?

    submitted by /u/armadillorevolution
    [link] [comments]

    Illegal and Aggressive Tow Operation (Texas)

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I was temporarily at an apartment complex (with resident permission) and would have been parked for 4 minutes total. That is, except that when I returned to my vehicle after 4 minutes, a tow truck had started to hook it up.

    Under Texas State Law, cars that are not fully hooked up must be returned without any fees on the spot. (Source: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/towing/towinglaw.htm)

    I brought this up to the employee, as he had only connected the rear tires, not the front tires, with the additional dolly parts still in hand. His response was that it was fully connected and he would be driving off as is. $75 to get my car back. He went into the truck and started to lift the rear wheels.

    My car is front wheel drive. Towing it and dragging the front wheels would destroy the drivetrain. I repeated that it was state law and that he needed to return my vehicle. He refused and said he was going to drive off right then if I did not pay the now $85 fee. Concerned that I would be without a functioning vehicle until repairs were made and out thousands in damages for as long as it took to take the case to court, I consented with verbal protest and handed him my ID and credit card.

    He wanted me to sign a form and while I tried to write that I was contesting due to my vehicle not being fully hooked up, he charged me and manhandled me to take back the pen and force me to stop writing. The pen ended up in two pieces. He started to yell that I had messed up and would no longer be getting my car back (despite already paying the fee and filling in the document). As a young female and feeling completely powerless against a man that had my car, ID, and credit card in a dark location that was not my home, I called 911.

    Between the cops arriving and my call, he seemed to realize his mistake and offered me a half refund. I refused and insisted on police involvement. He then offered me a full refund and finally returned my ID, credit card, and unhooked my vehicle, now in an almost friendly demeanor trying to claim that he did not touch me and the pen never broke in two. I said that the body camera he was wearing would show otherwise and I was not going to back down on the police.

    Police arrive and ask if I want to press assault charges, noting that it will most likely not lead to anything because I am not visibly injured (blood, scrapes, bruising). They make sure that my vehicle, ID, and credit card are in my possession and state that the rest is a civil matter.

    The apartment complex manager also came to the scene and apologized profusely, stating that she would absolutely make significant changes based on this event and to please keep in contact.

    So, Reddit, I have already filed a complaint with the TDLR. Is there anything else I can do?

    When I look at tow court, it looks like it only applies to tows, not drop fees...does that mean I need to go through small claims court? The property manager said that she will be pursuing a refund (in addition to changes), but does it end there? This man obviously does not possess the right temperament to hold a job that involves the public.

    submitted by /u/HoustonTowIllegal
    [link] [comments]

    Grandparents visitation rights for California when grandchild is being abused by parents

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    I am posting on behalf of a relative who doesn't use reddit. For reference, the abused child and her parents live in California, the grandparents live in Colorado.

    The following is what I was asked to post:

    My Mother has close relationship with her granddaughter who is a teenager and has Aspergers. She is one of the granddaughter's primary emotional support sources because my sister does not protect her from emotional abuse from my brother-in-law that refuses to acknowledge the Aspergers diagnosis and the special needs of this teenager. He also tends to allow the daughter's brother to tease and trigger her repeatedly, then punishes the daughter when she finally has a meltdown after being tormented.

    My mother and I have recently plead with my sister to take action and protect the teenage daughter from all of the abuse because she is starting to sound more and more desperate. My sister became defensive and then forbid any communication between my mother and the granddaughter and between me and the niece.

    My niece managed to get to a phone and called to state that after she reported her concerns to a teacher at school, the administration of the school called her parents. Her parents then told her that they were going to send her away to live apart from the family because she is a danger to their family. She has to be absolutely traumatized. (Her Aspergers makes her very fearful of new environments and strangers.) Even if they only threatened to send her away, we think that is likely emotionally abusive to threaten that way.

    Is there law governing grandparents' visitation/ contact rights for California? What can be done? We think they are so upset about a report being made that they are filing a no contact order, but we are not sure. Please advise.

    We have not filed a CPS report, but we did tell the daughter how to get help if she was in an emergency. We were hoping that my sister would finally wake up and protect her children from a husband with documented mental illness.

    submitted by /u/Franqwerty
    [link] [comments]

    Write up for using the 'F word' in retail.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    So, I work in retail, with customers.

    I try not to swear around customers, unless you know its fine since they use the same kind of language.

    Now a customer complained about my language and told a manager or something.

    I still need to talk to the manager that is writing me up for this.

    So I told the manager that told me this whole thing, I'm not changing my looks, behavior nor speech.

    I will talk the way I talk. As mentioned before I try not to around customers, but if a customer over hears a conversation between me and a coworker, big fucking deal.

    I told her, the first amendment is worth more and is way above any store policy, no matter who you work for.

    I'm willing to put my 2 weeks in over this so I really wanna know my rights before I am gonna talk to my store manager tomorrow.

    So legally can they tell me what exact words I can or can not say while at work?

    I got my resignation letter ready and filled out so I am pretty serious about this.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    submitted by /u/RuTooL
    [link] [comments]

    How can you know the owner of a website for a lawsuite

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 09:50 PM PDT

    Well, let's say someone has or starts a fucking website, and that website breaks the law in a way that would make the owner fucking conventionally fucking eligible for a lawsuit

    Except, you can't know who owns or made the website, or under what name they registered it

    Basically privacy protected by their provider, with no about us or distinctive provable contact information

    Shouldn't it have a privacy policy?

    with some sort of name

    The fucking website hosts an application and when in the "terms of service" it only states the software by name

    The software does not fucking come with a fucking EULA, does that mean that you can re-distribute it for profit with no repercussion?

    submitted by /u/FreshDaddy69
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment