• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 24, 2020

    Legal Advice - [New York] after cheating and leaving me, my wife wants to take the dog too

    Legal Advice - [New York] after cheating and leaving me, my wife wants to take the dog too


    [New York] after cheating and leaving me, my wife wants to take the dog too

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    \all names have been changed*

    After having an affair, my wife Anna decided she needed to spend some extended time with her family in Ohio by herself, and we agreed that I would take care of our dog Oliver while she was away.

    A few weeks ago, Anna informed me that she was coming back that weekend to pick up some things and take Oliver to her parents house with her. I was traveling and had Oliver with me, so I told her that we wouldn't be there, but more importantly, that we needed to have an actual conversation about this. She never followed up.

    The following weekend, I was going on a trip with some friends and asked my parents to watch Oliver, as they have done many times before. I mentioned to Anna on Friday where I was going and that my parents would be taking care of Oliver over the weekend. The next day, without telling me, Anna made a 12-hour round trip to my parents house to try to take Oliver while I was gone. Anna waited several hours into the drive before contacting my parents and led them to believe that she was visiting friends in the area and had coordinated this with me. Luckily, my parents mentioned something to me, and when I told them that I knew nothing about this, they told Anna that they were not comfortable with this happening behind my back. Anna showed up anyway and ended up sitting in my parents driveway for hours demanding that they relinquish her property, despite being asked to leave multiple times. She eventually left without the dog.

    I've since been contacted by her attorney who is claiming that, because Anna was the one who signed the adoption papers and we adopted Oliver while we were engaged, our dog is considered her separate personal property, which I am obligated to relinquish to her... and that, by the way, Anna wants a divorce.

    I love this dog like a child. I was the one who named him. I was the one who contacted the foster program about adopting him. I work from home (even pre-covid), so I am definitely the one who has spent the most time with him. Anna's parents have two other dogs that are very territorial and bully Oliver whenever we have visited with him, and even if Anna were to get her own place, Oliver gets very anxious when he's by himself and I worry about him being alone for so much time while she's at work.

    Is her lawyer bluffing, or do I really have no choice but to just hand over our dog and risk never seeing him again?

    Edit: I'm told it might be relevant that I am listed as a co-owner with Oliver's vet. Anna took all of Oliver's papers and medical records from our apartment while I was gone, but I was able to have them email me new ones because I am already on file with them.

    submitted by /u/dog-dad-throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: Stolen car in Virginia and nobody cared

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 10:09 AM PDT

    So Original TLDR: I left country for a year and half and left my car with a friend of a friend that was a mechanic to do some work on it and he knew he could take his time because I wouldn't be back for a long time. Halfway through that time period he files the car as abandoned and tries to take possession. I had to fly back home to try to straighten things out and nobody will do anything.

    **Update**

    I kept bugging anyone and everyone at the DMV, Police Station, and Insurance company for a week straight until someone at the Police finally notified me that the car had actually already been picked up and impounded in November of 2018. They found it completely stripped, missing engine, the works... it had been dumped in a neighboring city behind an abandoned house that had been boarded up since at least 2012 (based on the google street views of the house).

    Equipped with that new information I was able to get the insurance company to do their thing and they wrote me a check for a fair amount. I filed some more paperwork with the police since obviously a crime took place but they didn't really care and nothing more came of it.

    Sorry it took so long to update, I forgot all about this post.

    submitted by /u/Personality156-b
    [link] [comments]

    I'm taking my rapist to court

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 05:14 PM PDT

    About 8 months ago I was assaulted by my now ex boyfriend and I've finally worked up the nerve to press charges. I've been terrified of him for months but I got a restraining order so I'm starting to feel less scared. But I can't stop worrying that he's going to hurt more people like he hurt me so I'm trying to take him to court.

    What steps should I take and what exactly should I do? I've never pressed charges against anyone but this assault has damaged me more than anyone in my life knows. I can't sleep or I have nightmares. I can't eat very much. I keep getting flashbacks where I'm stuck underneath him over and over and they just won't end.

    I need advice and I need help.

    Edit: I'm from Minnesota.

    submitted by /u/benjiblack243
    [link] [comments]

    Late daughter's social media

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    I originally posted in AITA, but several suggested I post here in I have any options.

    People are me (36f), my ex (m36), and my late daughter (14f). We are located in AR.

    12 years ago I married a guy and we had two kids. The marriage didn't work out ( he said he didn't want to deal with my depression)

    So now fast forward to now. My 14 year old daughter passed away on Aug 7. It's been devastating. Before I lost her, my daughter and I had a disagreement. It was normal mom/daughter stuff and she blocked me on Facebook. She passed away shortly after leaving me blocked. My ex is controllibg that account and has been using it for people to post stuff in her memory .He also made everything so it could not be downloaded. When my mom asked for copies, he said no. When I asked, he just ignore me , and when an old family friend asked he got the same response. I asked him to unban me but he refuses. He says he's honoring her wishes. If she were still here, she wouldn't have left me banned. We were close and she was a teenager.

    There's videos of her talking that I'd really like to have copies of. It's made things harder because I want preserve every piece of her life. I have the passwords for everything other social media account and her email is tied to my phone. Facebook is with an account from her school and I don't remember that password.

    Edited to add I have shared all the passwords I have and offered to give him a jump drive with all my pics and videos of her.

    Are there any legal actions I can take to get access to the account? Is there even any kind of law about this or do I just need to let it go?

    submitted by /u/aslplodingesophogus
    [link] [comments]

    Lock bar on a dumpster

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    Location: Salina kansas

    Situation:

    I've been renting from a real estate company in a building that has a dumpster with a lock bar on it.

    Recently, the landlord came in and reminded everyone that this building is a non smoker building because someone was smoking in our laundry room, no big deal, but she then added that now all the tenants will pay a fee for the dumpster being unlocked of $17.25 each time she finds it. This isn't in the lease agreement.

    I didn't think she'd actually charge us for it, but I've always kept the bar locked and pretty much have to every time I leave the building because people are always leaving it unlocked. I have a statement that proves she charged it to my account and want to know if this is legal whatsoever.

    There are 2 charges on my account for 17.25. From research, I know that a lock bar costs anywhere from 15-25 a month, my landlord is obviously capitalizing off of this, and I feel as if there's nothing I can do.

    Thanks in advance, if any more general info is needed, let me know and I'll add it to the post.

    submitted by /u/psychonot22
    [link] [comments]

    CA neighbor harassing us

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 06:10 PM PDT

    Hello, I need advice on how to deal with my neighbor. We are harassed every single time we try to use the yard. She has made slurs against us for being gay, screamed at us and filed multiple bogus code violations. A lot of the problems have been documented because she calls the police every time I go outside. I literally never speak to this woman because I'm afraid she will try to say I threatened her. I told the police I would not interact with her. My partner doesn't either. She just records everything. This woman called 911 nine times because I was planting roses on my property. When they came they told her they would arrest her if she called again. I no longer use my yard and make sure someone is outside with me when I spend time outside because I am so tired of being harassed by this nut job. The most recent harassment has been in the form of code violations over a tree. It's was dismissed last time and now two months later (after screaming at me every time she sees me) she has filed the same complaint again. The tree has not even grown much in that time and it is not a problem. I think the real problem with the tree is she can't see me as easily to come over and start harassing me. My question is...can I hold code enforcement responsible for sending these ridiculous complaints or can I only go after her/ the landlord for nuisance?

    submitted by /u/chick_habbit
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] I’m closing on a property and seller’s real estate agent is taking items from the house

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    Located in FL

    The house I'm under contract for includes belongings left behind by the seller. It was described that the buyer is responsible for removal/handling of items on the property.

    The real estate agent of the seller has been picking the desirable items and taking them, gifting them, etc. Some items were mounted to walls. There is some alcohol missing. There are some antiques taken.

    How legal is this? What can I do?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/ricecakeforbreakfast
    [link] [comments]

    Would this be considered sexual harassment?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 06:53 AM PDT

    So I recently transferred to a different area in the company (same facility but different location) and a former coworker of mine began messaging me on Facebook the other day. At first it seemed harmless, him asking how the transfer went and how things were going with the move. I assumed he was just being friendly at first, until he decided to ask me inappropriate questions. Ultimately, it resulted in him showing me a dreaded dick pic and I immediately blocked him from my account.

    Could this be considered harassment seeing as we both still work for the same company? Our corporate office is in the same state and both facilities are sister companies. Could I report this and have him reprimanded for it? Or should I just let it go and not worry about it?

    Edit:

    This was on a day off for both of us. I don't know if that would change things, but I might be wrong as we'll.

    submitted by /u/halikidito
    [link] [comments]

    HoA threatens to enter my apartment using a locksmith if I’m not home when they come with Insurance Adjusters to inspect for damage from a Hurricane that hit 3 years ago. Is this legal?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    This is in South Florida, by the way.

    Hey all. I originally posted a rant to another subreddit but the comments it received there made me wonder.

    So some context: The community I live in is primarily renters who live in investment properties. The HoA is/has a management company running it. For the most part it's a lovely place to live: quiet, maintained, comfortable. I'm renting, and the owner of the unit is an investor from out of the country. He has a property management company (that isn't the same as the HoA's management company) that deals with collecting payments, maintenance requests, and all that. The HoA's office is also housed at least a 45 minute drive away and only open between 9 am to 4:30 pm M-F. I work 8-4:45 so Its not possible for me to speak to them in person.

    Anyway, on 9/22, I come home to a letter posted on my apartment door that says that they are going unit to unit inspecting the interiors for Hurricane Irma damage (which, for those who don't know, hit in 2017) starting at 9 AM on Friday 9/25. And here is where I'm asking the legality: They then proceeded to say that if they could not access the unit, they'd be using a locksmith to enter and we'd have to grab the new key from the clubhouse. I do not know if I'd have to pay for this replacement because the HoA has been dodging my calls entirely after yesterday.

    I have to work on Friday so i would have to take it off in order to let these people in, and I have a dog who likely would not allow them to go through the apartment unbothered (not aggression, just... curiosity and a desire to play). Is this at all legal? Can they change my locks just to access the unit?

    Quick clarification just so people know: My actual landlord had no idea this was happening until I texted him a picture of the paper posted on my door. This is the HoA who wants access, not the landlord

    submitted by /u/Aisling0212
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] Stepdad pointed a loaded gun at me and left it in my room, I took it and ran away to stay with a friend but don't know what to do

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    My stepdad has has got really bad in the last year since we've been stuck inside because of corona and he's emotionally abusive to me and my stepbrother like never really physical but verbally and picking at us since my mom died in 2019. In the night came into my room while he thought I was asleep and I think he was drunk but idk and he pointed his gun at me for like half a minute then left it on my desk and walked off. I got up once I heard him and took his gun and called a friend who lives close and let me stay over. I'm 17.

    I still have the gun safe in my bag at my friend's for now but I really don't know what to do, it is the only gun that I know of that either of my parents owned. I'm still stopping at my friends for now and I haven't told anyone else where I am, haven't even been outside for a few days. I don't know what to do. If I go back to my stepdad I think I will do something I may regret, should I toss the gun in a lake? I'm worried about my stepbrother too even without the gun. I really don't know where to fucking start.

    edit: it's a handgun to be clear I know theres a distinction between the two

    submitted by /u/SnubPie187
    [link] [comments]

    Title Jumpers in KY

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    I have an interesting situation on my hands, hopefully a fellow Kentuckian can chime in. I plan to call the clerk's office tomorrow.

    I sold a vehicle during a point in the pandemic when many clerk's offices were closed. I provided the buyer with a signed and notarized title in my name, in good faith that he would transfer it promptly. (Mistake #1) I kept in contact with the buyer and provided him with ample time and opportunity (suggested offices I knew to be open and operating) and he gradually stopped replying. I warned him I would take action to remove the vehicle from my name. I asked my clerk's office what to do, and about filing for incomplete transfer. They suggested filing for a duplicate title and junking it. I ended up doing this on three vehicles I unknowingly still had in my possession due to "good faith" sales. (Never trust anyone, ever) I junked the title and went on my way...

    Fast forward to now. Someone has bought the vehicle and is threatening me with legal recourse if I don't provide them with a title. I'm not sure what to do here. I sent the second buyer (who clearly ignored the fact the title was filled out for the first) a bill of sales and a title application with my side filled out. I did this because I researched online about rebuilt titling in KY. The buyer claimed that this did not work and I must get them a title or they will take legal action against me.

    What do you guys think? Am I responsible here or is the original buyer, the title jumper? I am willing to help to some degree, but only so much as this was not my fault.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/stw9495
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord using exorbitant amounts of water on yard, I would like her to pay a portion of the water bill.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 10:39 AM PDT

    I live in a single family home in a suburb of San Diego and moved in one month ago. On the lease I am responsible for water and all other utilities, the landlord is responsible for yard maintenance.

    The landlord is over often running the hose on the yard (I think she is afraid of fires and likes to keep it wet).

    My first water bill came this month for $477.00. The bill said we used 43 hundred cubic feet (about 32,000 gallons) for the last 60 day billing period. I had not yet even moved in for 10 of those days. The average reported on the bill for homes in the area is 6 hundred cubic feet (about 5000 gallons). The landlord confirmed this is a normal amount for this residence. We have confirmed there is not a leak.

    I feel mislead that I need to pay about $500 extra bi-monthly for her to water the yard. Do I have legal ground to hold her responsible for a portion of the bill given it is for yard maintenance (which is the landlord's responsibility).

    Thank you for your advice!

    submitted by /u/littlegreengouls___
    [link] [comments]

    (Ca) Fired for ‘not working out’

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 04:20 PM PDT

    So, I'm 18 weeks pregnant. My ex-employer knew of this as soon as I found out. I was working in AP, very overwhelmed and constantly stressed. When I would ask for help with my work load I got told to own my position and keep a notebook. I was also told to keep my doctor appts on my own time, when I work 40hrs a week. Today I sent my manager an email explaining how due to recent events, I found it in my best interest to keep my next appt that was at 9am. About two hours later I get called into the conference room, and am told "we had discussed your prior mistakes (only once and again with no extra help from my manager when I was struggling) and you had gotten better but it's just not working out. We're going to have to let you go." This was two hours after I sent an email about how I wouldn't reschedule my upcoming doctor appt but that I would work over-time that week following up to said appt. Did they just scapegoat me and discriminate against my pregnancy?

    submitted by /u/Coralbiscuitx
    [link] [comments]

    U-haul is claiming my boyfriend got a speeding ticket and trying to get him to pay a fee, but I was with him the entire time and it never happened.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 05:46 PM PDT

    For some context, he rented a Uhaul van probably 3-4 months ago. The van was used for a total of about 1 hour to pick up a desk and returned the next day as specified (gas filled, etc).

    I drove with him to get the van, drove in the van with him to get the desk and drove with him to drop it off. I was there the whole time. He was never pulled over and did not speed.

    So now he has been receiving calls from U-haul saying that he got a speeding ticket months after dropping off the van and that he needs to pay the fee.

    How should I handle this? Is this something Uhaul does to exploit customers, or just a misunderstanding?

    Washington state

    Edit: To add he asked for proof of the ticket, which U-haul never provided.

    submitted by /u/angeredpremed
    [link] [comments]

    My aunt’s adopted daughter was taken back by the birth mother. What can she do?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 04:44 PM PDT

    Hello, this isn't for me but for my aunt. We're in Michigan. She recently adopted a friend's daughter. I thought it was a bad idea, just because of the close relationship but whatever. The woman gave birth and their lawyer advised my aunt's husband to sign the birth certificate and that's it for now. Obviously, that means he's legally the father but not biologically. My aunt was going then eventually adopt the baby. They allowed an open adoption, where the birth mom would still get to visit and be around. They made the mistake yesterday of allowing her to babysit for less than an hour. The birth mother then texted my aunt and said she had changed her mind and would be keeping her. Mind you, the baby is already five months old and has lived only with my aunt and cared for by my aunt. She only knows my aunt as her mother. My aunt and her husband obviously called the police, but they said they couldn't do anything as no order is technically in place yet. I suggest firing their current lawyer because he gave shitty advice: no need to make a formal legal adoption, just signing the birth certificate is enough. What can they do?

    Update: More information that might be helpful

    Their lawyer had advised them to sign my aunt's husband as the father so the bio mother could sign away all her rights, and then my aunt was supposed to adopt her afterwards. The woman is unstable and mentally unwell, is it possible maybe to prove her unfit?

    submitted by /u/ittybittymomma
    [link] [comments]

    Employer "furloughed" me, but expects me to continue working...

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    I'm a salaried employee in NYC for a small office (fewer than 10 people) with no HR.

    Employees are paid once a month on the 1st for work completed the month prior aka October 1st check is for labor completed in September. Since June, my boss has reduced my salary wages every month (due to COVID as she states) with little or no notice and is applying the reduction retroactively to the current pay cycle. I received an email from them stating that I was being furloughed this week and would only receive a percentage of my pay for sept. (the reduction was more severe than in previous months). I emailed to confirm if the furlough was effective immediately and began my unemployment claim when they responded yes and that there was no definite end to furlough. However, now they are saying (over a call) that I am expected to work 75% of the time for 75% of my salary this month and that if I don't perform, they will not act as a reference to help secure another job in our precarious field. I feel this is intimidation (at this point I won't rely on their referral anyway) and I have no guarantee what I will actually be paid either this month or next. I'm not sure if this is relevant but with the reductions, my salary has been reduced below NYC's limit salary threshold, according to my research. Do I have the grounds to quit my job with good cause so I can at lease receive my unemployment benefits while I look for other work? I am speaking with them in person soon and I want to be advised on how I should proceed so I can protect myself if I'm forced to accept their terms or resign. I know unemployment benefits alone are not ideal, but it will at least help during the transition to another job. The actions of my current employer have caused me a lot of stress since I never know what I will actually be paid and even before all this, my employer often paid us late and once, we nearly waited into half of the next month until we got paid and again with no notice, until someone asked.

    I should add that I suspect the reduced wages are also retaliation for working remotely (which we are fully able to do to complete our tasks) since they expected us to return to the office 100% of the time as early as a few months ago and stated that salary would be revised for those that continued remote working. At that time, no information was given regarding the preparation of the office for or staggered shifts to reduce how many people were in a combined space due to COVID. so we countered and since then they always state in pay reduction notices (if given and often within a day of pay day for work already completed) that it has nothing to do with us working remotely.

    submitted by /u/puzzled_in_nyc
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a prenup if I just want to protect the assets I own before the marriage?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    I'm divorced with a small daughter and about to get married again. I earn quite a bit more than my future spouse. I don't ask that we (my future wife and I) are independent in every financial aspect. I do, however, want to protect everything I own BEFORE the marriage to be solely mine (and my daughter's), just in case, you know. Everything AFTER is evenly shared between us. So in that case, do I still need a prenup, or what I own before the marriage will always be mine only? If not, what is the best option I should do to protect the assets I have before the new marriage?

    Thanks.

    Edit: I'm in California, US

    submitted by /u/dascsad
    [link] [comments]

    (Ohio) Landlord Is Targeting/Harassing My Boyfriend - Is There Anything We Can Do?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 07:44 PM PDT

    TL,DR: Boyfriend moved in to a shared house (rented out by the room; common areas and appliances shared by all) in which there are also two other roommates. Ever since he moved in, the landlady has been targeting him and harassing him for everything that goes wrong (details at bottom of post). Now she is demanding that he pay 100% of the damages for an appliance he didn't break. Does she have any legal means to force him to pay, or is it an empty threat?

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    My boyfriend moved here from out of state about two months ago, into a house that is rented out by the room, and common areas/appliances are shared by all tenants. This is his first time living out on his own. The only reason why I bring this up is because I think the landlady is unfairly targeting him based on his inexperience, thinking she can get away with this behavior.

    Not too long after he moved, he noticed when trying to start the dryer that it wasn't turning on. This was only his third or fourth time using the dryer since moving in. He let the landlady know that the dryer wasn't working. Her response was to aggressively berate him, by way of a very long email, for breaking the dryer (because *obviously* since he was the last one to use it, he intentionally broke it). The next day, she had reported that the dryer wasn't broken, but that the power to the basement had cut off, and she flipped the breaker to turn it back on and it was working again. The next day, she switched her story again and said the dryer had broken because the power (to the dryer itself, not the whole basement), and the knob, was broken. The dryer is not new by any means, and any logical person could argue that the broken knob was due to normal wear and tear.

    The lease very clearly and specifically states tenants are only financially responsible for damages caused by intentional misuse or neglect, and that the landlord is financially response for damages caused by normal wear and tear. However, the landlady has harassed BF several times at this point, both in-person and in emails, demanding that he pay for the entire cost of the damage immediately. She absolutely will not let up about this, and she is saying things like "none of the other tenants said they were having trouble with the dryer before it broke" (which is untrue, as BF has email proof of another tenant expressing concern over the dryer) and that "he said he would pay for it" (which he never did).

    My question is, can she legally force him to pay for the expense? This isn't hundreds of dollars, but with how aggressively she's been targeting him (not just for the dryer, but for other things [additional details are below if you're curious]), we fear that if he caves and pays for it, then it will set a precedent that he will be responsible for paying all future damages because he's always the one accused of things, even when multiple people live in the house.

    Thank you for reading!

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    (For added content that is slightly related to the above, here are some other events in which he was aggressively targeted or treated wrongly:

    Very shortly after he moved in, he noticed that the drain in one of the showers was clogged and draining slowly. He brought this to the landlady's attention, and her response was to falsely accuse *only* him for clogging it because "no other tenants mentioned it being clogged" (which is untrue) and "he was the last one to use the shower" (how would she know)? He no longer uses that shower.

    Not too long after, the washer somehow slightly fell off its base. The landlady thought that this was because BF (none of the other tenants) improperly loaded the washer with too many pairs of jeans at once. She sent him an aggressive email berating him for not knowing how to use a washer (even though he clearly knows how), and for washing too many jeans. BF literally does not own a single pair of jeans. He wears shorts and that's it. He responded to the email politely letting her know that he doesn't own jeans, but he will be more cognizant of how he loads the washer. She still placed the blame fully on him and threatened that he (and no other tenants) will have to pay to fix the washer if it breaks.

    She also will open the door to his room without knocking, and without official notice, to tell him things. This is obviously very problematic for many reasons, and is an extreme violation of privacy. Are we able to fight back against this somehow?)

    submitted by /u/__Purple_Platypus__
    [link] [comments]

    DFCS/CPS did nothing to help my girlfriend’s family

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 07:07 AM PDT

    [Georgia] The title is a tad bit misleading. But I'll explain. So here's the back story: My girlfriend's sister has 5 kids with her husband. Their home is disgusting. They have a mold problem, there's trash everywhere, animal feces everywhere, the floors aren't finished, etc. The husband also has a pattern of alcoholism and verbal abuse towards his wife and the eldest child. The kids bathe maybe once a week. The youngest child (2 years old) has been found across the roadway in front of their house several times by himself. All of this is happening while their mom is trying to homeschool them this year. There's so much obvious negligence. This has been going on for 9+ years.

    Recently, the family decided to finally take action and stage a sort of "family intervention". The kids were going to live with my girlfriend's parents, the parents were going to seek counseling and work on the house. This plan worked well for a few weeks. Then the husband started to lash out. He messaged me on Facebook and threatened to punch me. He messaged my girlfriend and her mother as well (I don't know exactly what he said, but I was told it was super hurtful and mean). He admitted to impregnating his wife without her consent, and that's how the last child was born. Both of them cussed the family and blamed them for the situation they are in.

    Within the last two weeks, the parents came back and took the kids for what was supposed to be the weekend, but they ended up keeping them for good. Legally, we can't argue with them. They're their kids. That's the tough part. The husband has continuously been careless about the condition of the house, the mother won't speak to anyone in the family anymore, and we're all just so concerned about the kids.

    So we finally called CPS. We had non-family members report just to be safe. Apparently CPS's way of handling this was to FaceTime the kids and ask them a few questions. They've decided as of today that they won't be taking any further action. They said because there was "running water, food, and a roof over their head", they're not being neglected. There's just so much more going on and I genuinely don't understand how they feel like a FaceTime call (in front of the parents) was the appropriate way to go about this. These kids are in danger and my girlfriend and I are super worried. Legally, what's the best course of action now?

    TL;DR Girlfriend's nieces and nephews are being neglected, but CPS won't do anything about it.

    submitted by /u/RoseTheGarden
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor threatening to sue for them cutting a tree on my property

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 04:47 PM PDT

    I have a rental property in Idaho county, Idaho, that has neighbors that are "serial suers". A branch from a large, old maple tree hangs over the property line onto their property and they wanted to get rid of it. They hired a tree cutting service to perform the work. The service called me for permission to cut my tree and mentioned that I would not be liable for the bill under any circumstances since I didn't hire them. I gave permission to cut the tree branch on the property line for anything that hangs over. Today I received a call from the neighbors that they demand I pay for the service since it was my tree that was cut. I was assured from city hall and the tree cutter that I have no responsibility for the bill. The neighbor is threatening legal action (I haven't been served papers or anything yet) if I don't pay him for the bill. I can't find any law that says I'm entitled to that fee- and if I was, that would mean he could do anything to my property and then demand a bill for it...

    This neighbor is in his 80s and has been known to sue anybody and everybody in town. He listed his house for sale for 5 days, and then the listing came down because he was suing the realtor for some sort of incorrect information on the listing. The only permission I gave was for the tree to be cut on the property line, and the tree cutter cut the branches all the way to my tree trunk (at least 6 feet from the property line). This ticked off my parents who manage my properties in Idaho.

    I'm worried about having to pay for legal fees if he pursues this suit. Thanks.

    Edit. He worked in law and insurance his whole life also. He just sent me an email with many cases claiming that the tree was a nuisance to his property and impeded upon his enjoyment. He referenced lemon v currington, shevlin v Johnston, title 52 ch. 1 of Idaho state legislature, and other chapters in that section.

    submitted by /u/mrdangstraight1
    [link] [comments]

    (LA) Landlord wants me to take my dogs out of the house so he can get insured

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 07:14 PM PDT

    My landlord asked that I take my large dog out of the house when an insurance inspector comes through for an assessment. He is looking to switch homeowners insurance and believes dogs not being present will get him lower rates. He said explicitly my small dog can stay. Landlord asked my large dog be taken out for a walk while he and the insurance person are on the property since big dogs are seen as a risk and won't get him as good of a rate.

    I offered to keep the dog in the yard while they were in the house and then bring the dog around while they transitioned to the yard. Thinking the size of the dog made someone involved nervous. He again said it's not about the individual dog, but the impact a big dog has on insurance. My dog is a common family breed with no restrictions in any state. My landlord also said asked the other resident in the house to do the same with their large, common family breed dog.

    Is this fraud? By "hiding" the dog could I be liable for anything with his insurance?

    submitted by /u/la_lovely
    [link] [comments]

    Grandfather's IRA has not been claimed, 17 years later...

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    Here's the background: My grandfather died at age 85 in 2003, my grandfather and grandmother setup a trust to me for their financial assets (house, mainly). My mother had assumed his IRA was included in this. It was not.

    The primary beneficiary on his IRA was my grandmother, who died after him in 2009 at age 96. I was listed as the contingent beneficiary on his IRA. My grandmother was in a vegetative state in 2002 and placed in a home for 7 years until her death 2009. My grandfather died 1 year after she was placed into the home. In her vegetative state, she obviously never claimed the IRA and the executor of her estate, my mother, also never did anything with it.

    The account is still currently listed with the company in my grandfather's name comma deceased and totals about $150,000. We're in California. Will the IRA assets pass to my mother in probate, since my grandmother was primary beneficiary and did not have a will? Or since my grandmother never claimed, would it pass to me as contingent beneficiary? No RMD's have been taken out during this time either. Oy!

    submitted by /u/stephaniepotato
    [link] [comments]

    Home furniture delivery company destroyed my apartment’s loading dock door and apartment wants me to pay for it.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    So I bought a couch from Ashley home furniture and paid for them to deliver. In my contract it said they would be responsible for any damage.

    While pulling in to deliver the couch the drivers took out a sliding loading dock door and slammed into the building while baking up too much.

    The drivers said they were unlicensed and uninsured, while wearing the furniture store uniform.

    The drivers didn't really speak English and "called" their manager and let my apartments building manager speak on the phone to them. There was an agreement to come out to asset the damage.

    I thought that was the end of it, but I just got a letter from the parent company of my apartment saying they reached out to the delivery company who refuses to answer and if they have to will recuperate the cost from me.

    Can they sue me even though I wasn't driving, didn't know the drivers and this happened all before I even signed for the furniture?

    Edit: This is Houston Tx.

    submitted by /u/Stereogravy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment