• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 23, 2020

    Legal Advice - [Arkansas] A Facebook employee had my Instagram account shut down as revenge for filing an intellectual property dispute against a friend of his and I am pretty sure he's also deleting my appeals to get my account back...

    Legal Advice - [Arkansas] A Facebook employee had my Instagram account shut down as revenge for filing an intellectual property dispute against a friend of his and I am pretty sure he's also deleting my appeals to get my account back...


    [Arkansas] A Facebook employee had my Instagram account shut down as revenge for filing an intellectual property dispute against a friend of his and I am pretty sure he's also deleting my appeals to get my account back...

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:57 AM PDT

    So I recently did a logo for a streetwear brand, during the process the brand owner requested that I make the logo exactly like the one I made for my streetwear brand. I told him why I wasn't going to rip off the design for my company for their logo.

    A few days later he had someone else rip it off and started posting them all over Instagram on Friday, September 18th. I messaged him and said I would be filing an intellectual property dispute with instagram and he said "u have no idea who ur messing with idiot". I then went on the brands instagram with my personal account and commented that the logo was stolen and then within minutes he blocked me on IG and then my account was disabled for "impersonating someone else".

    In an act of stupidity, the guy who had his friend ban my account also sent me a screenshot where he directed the employee to ban it. In the screenshot you can see the employees name and you can see him directing the employee to disable my personal account and my business account if I didn't stop posting messages threatening to have their stuff taken down.

    submitted by /u/ilikescott
    [link] [comments]

    [Indiana] Amazon fired me after a COVID exposure

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 04:18 AM PDT

    Location: Jeffersonville, IN

    Hello. Yesterday morning I was fired from Amazon after missing two days of work. On friday (9/20/2020) I was exposure to my roommate who had been hiding his COVID symptoms from us. On sunday morning, he asked me to drive him to the hospital after being short of air. The hospital is right around the corner, and I understand that it's pointless to get a 600-1200 ambulance bill. I wore my N95 mask and scrubbed my car after dropping him off. He stated he didn't feel well last Monday meaning my girlfriend and I have had direct exposure from him. He was admitted and released on Tuesday. His results are still pending but thanking he's doing much better. I'm glad he's ok but I'm a tad upset with Amazon at the moment.

    I work at Amazon FC. We are told religiously if we have COVID or are exposure to STAY HOME and submit a leave of absence online. I contacted Grand Rounds (our healthcare provider) letting them know what happened. I was issued a letter stating to get tested 5-7 days after exposure. I uploaded the document to HR and submitted a LOA through the proper channels. My leave was of course denied because there wasn't enough evidence to support the leave. An hour later I get an email stating I have abandoned my job and was promptly locked out of my account. I emailed everyone I could find to no avail. I'm sitting here clueless, without insurance now, and jobless thinking WTF happened? I guess I'll spend the day on Indeed and trying to make the most of it.

    UPDATE 11:37am- I spent almost an hour with the Ethics hotline. The caseworker agreed this was unfair but she believes it was due to negative UPT (unpaid time) of almost 20 hours. She submitted the case and I should be hearing something 5-7 days from now. Thank you all!

    submitted by /u/POAFoehammer
    [link] [comments]

    I called a 24hr crisis hotline and was sent to voicemail. they texted me 11 hours later and ended up insulting me.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 10:14 AM PDT

    [EDIT: I left a google review with the screenshot and he texted me again telling me to kill myself. there HAS to be some sort of legal action now, right???

    oregon/washington] i'm not sure if this is the right forum, but i'm unsure of what to do. I googled 24 hour crisis hotline and called the first one that came up. They responded 12 hours later over text.

    I responded with "look man, i've gotta be honest. while i'm sure you have the best intentions, advertising yourself as a 24 hour crisis line when that's clearly not the case is frustrating at best, life-threatening at worst. you should ABSOLUTELY change the way that you advertise yourself"

    in response he told me to get a job, called me miserable, and informed me that he was blocking me.

    What can I do? Unless i'm mistaken, it appears to be a registered 501(c)3. I want to make sure no one else has to go through this. Also, not sure how important this is, but the business operates out of Washington and I am in Oregon.

    edit: added location at the beginning of post

    update: i am okay now, and getting the help i needed. thank you for your concern! i'll update again if anything new happens

    submitted by /u/sarcasize
    [link] [comments]

    Is our landlord allowed to give other people access to our home?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 07:02 AM PDT

    I'm a 23 year old female and I woke up this morning to a man saying he was a plumber looking for toilets standing over my bed. I know our landlords are planning to get some plumbing work done, as we live in a rather old house. However, there was no warning that they'd be inside our house and rooms today. The plumbers have come to check for toilets before and knew there were none in my bedroom. My two roommates were also asleep and didn't let the man in, so it must have been the landlord or the guy has a key. Him having a key is honestly not a stretch because the landlords gave some electricians keys and they will stop by randomly as well.

    This isn't the first time the landlord has allowed people to come and go from our home while we're living in it. Is this just something we have to deal with?

    Edit: we're in North Carolina

    submitted by /u/wutang_clams
    [link] [comments]

    "Troubled" neighbor is obsessed with my six year old nephew and I'm afraid it will soon be, or it is, getting out of control

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

    Hi legaladvice, I have an issue I need serious help with. My mom and I moved to our home two years ago and a few months later, my sister and her son moved here with us. Ever since then, our neighbor John has been, quite frankly, an issue. My 6 year-old nephew Daniel has come home saying John gave him the middle finger, and has told him to "shut the fuck up" on several occasions, one of which I've actually heard.

    We were told by local authorities John is on medication, but lately hasn't been taking it. Around the time my sister Sarah moved in, John has tried to convince her that the neighbors behind his home were witches and meant to do harm to Daniel. Turns out it was an elderly woman taking care of her disabled granddaughter. IIRC, it was the older woman who had called the police when John was on her front porch, and that's when we discovered the police are well aware of him.

    On July 14, 2020, Sarah had her second son, so we remember just about everything that happened that week. Daniel found a can of spray paint and mistook it for spray chalk and sprays a sign in John's yard, the road, and a tree in our yard. Sarah goes to knock on the door to apologize and offer to pay to replace the sign, but no answer. An hour later an officer arrives and talks to us.

    We recently discovered John had placed cameras on his property, one of which is facing Daniel's clubhouse which is situated between a small group of trees in our backyard. We don't know if the cameras are actually on, however. Sarah also came home on the 19th of this month from grocery shopping and told us John was at the same store, and was talking to the cashier about Daniel, but immediately stopped and hurried out the door once he saw Sarah.

    These next few events is where the trouble started:

    We have a small drive that goes through the southwest of our neighborhood. Unless you knew it was a road, you'd think it was a driveway so no cars really use it. Daniel tends to ride his skateboard or bike on this road but doesnt go to the top of the hill/road as he goes too close to John's house. He also doesnt pass the electric pole on our property since it marks when the small road stops and turns to the two main roads (think of the roads like a capital K).

    Daniel has a friend who lives down the road. He knows not to cross the street unless someone is on the porch and one of us would watch to make sure he makes it safely. Daniel also knows to stop/look/listen before crossing.

    Daniel would often check our mail in the morning or in the evenings. Our mailbox is close to and faces the road but knows to look both ways before getting to the mailbox.

    Daniel is fond of this young man who lives across from us, Louis. Louis is currently flipping his grandfather's home and Daniel often goes across the road to help him. We absolutely love Louis and often invite him into our home for dinner or for a drink on hot days. He built the clubhouse for Daniel with my mom's (the homeowner) permission, and I think I heard my mom say that John was complaining about it but I don't remember what was said.

    Because of these, cops were called because whoever called had considered this to be "playing in the street". A woman from CPS had come by while I was making dinner on September 21st and asked for my sister. The woman tells us a report was made on or near July 14th about Daniel playing in the street and asked to see Daniel's bedroom and to see if we had food/water. My mom asked the woman if officers were actually dispatched to our home since the report and she said no cops actually came by.

    A cop did come by, however, about an hour after the CPS woman left, as John walks up and down the road every couple of hours with a tablet in hand and my sister caught him pointing the tablets camera at Daniel. Sarah dialed 911 and the officer spoke to John, but the officer said he couldn't do anything about it.

    Today, however, when Sarah came home from work, she recorded John from our kitchen window standing on the road with the camera on his tablet aimed at Daniel, and following Daniel with the camera as he ran across our yard. John proceeded to talk with another neighbor, showing them whatever was on his tablet, and Sarah flies off the handle and expects the worse, that he's showing whatever he recorded to the neighbor. Despite Daniel not having a shirt on as it was nice and sunny, again the officer said they couldn't do anything because he wasn't violating anyone's rights.

    Beyond setting up cameras, which we plan to do when we can afford it, I'm not sure what to do. He seems eerily obsessed with documenting a 6 year old's actions day to day. The police won't help us, as they can't really force someone to take medication, but between what happened today, and the camera John has set up that faces our property where Daniel frequently plays, this situation is getting really out of hand and we don't know what to do anymore. Sarah has been "recommended" by the woman from CPS to take parenting classes and it may end up being court ordered depending on what happens on the 29th. Sarah is also anxious about something her father told her, in that because the woman went in our house to check the living situation, the woman can make up just about anything to take Daniel from her.

    So, legally, what are our options? We've considered moving to a new area, and never would have moved to this house if we knew what we'd be dealing with. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you're having a safe night.

    Edited to add location, as the entire post was copied and pasted from a .txt rough draft.

    submitted by /u/ashe8258
    [link] [comments]

    Attorney (kind of) refuses service for CA prenup, but bills my insurance for consultation anyways.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    This is my first time dealing with an attorney in family law, but I think I've been taken for a ride.

    I contacted them last week to make an appointment to start drafting a prenuptial agreement. My goal for the prenup is to be able to separate our incomes if we so choose. We had our appointment about 2hrs ago and we spoke for 30 minutes during which he told me basically that I shouldn't get a prenup and that they aren't helpful in CA (which may very well be true). He went on to say that we couldn't separate our incomes during the marriage. Something about that seemed off so I did some reading.

    From a very quick search, I found basically every website I clicked on saying that community property can be separated with a prenup (assuming other regulations are abided by). Here's an excerpt from one of the sites.

    Spouses can also agree that "community property," such as earnings during the marriage, which would ordinarily be divided equally in the event of a divorce, remains separate property.

    https://sfvbareferral.com/prenups-in-california/#Community_Property_And_Inheritance

    https://www.berenjifamilylaw.com/effects-of-prenuptial-agreements-on-community-property/

    https://www.divorcenet.com/states/california/ca_art27

    So I emailed the attorney with one of the links saying exactly that I was able to do the above. He replied with "I suggest you contact your insurance and find an attorney who agrees and is willing to accept the liability if your website is wrong."

    While I'm totally okay with him refusing me service, I don't think my insurance will cover another consultation for the same thing and this attorney doesn't seem to want to help with the matter.

    I know legally I'm not going to do anything, but I bet he says this to every single person that comes in the door asking for a prenup and charges them for a consultation anyways. They could've told me when I first called that they don't do prenups.

    What do I say to my insurance? Do I just suck it up? Is this common practice in the field and something I should try to actively plan against? Am I able to get a prenup to do the above? I appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/teenwent11
    [link] [comments]

    MA school districts instructing parents to install browser monitoring extensions on Chrome (goguardian) on PERSONAL devices. Issuing FOI request for policies. Need advice.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:57 PM PDT

    First, I want to clarify this is not for school assigned hardware, the schools are asking parents to install goguardian on personal devices for learn at home. I've searched through the District policies and Massachusetts Department of Education and can't not find any policies regarding this software for non-managed devices. Or even much regarding managed devices such as chromebooks...

    My wife was the one to initially email the school with her concerns on installing this extension on her personal computer. They assured her it was fine and a "great tool for teachers". However, when I emailed them back asking: "Who is the admin for GoGuardian. Who is overseeing this program. What are the terms and polices, data retention, ect for the GoGuardian extension for non-managed devices? By what authority, rule or law are students forced to use monitoring tools for their education with non-managed devices at home?"

    They responded with basically we'll get back to you and blew it off. My first grade child has been remotely attending classes without the extension and they have not got back to me. This leads me to believe that the extension is not required and they have no policies regarding this software.

    I've been in touch with both the EFF and ACLUM regarding my concern. ACLUM was interested but are short staffed and suggest I issue a FOI request to the school. EFF responded calling the situation "troubling" and is reviewing the material I've supplied them and forwarded to a team working on this issue.

    I'm going to use SPLC's generator to write the FOI request but what polices should I specifically be asking for? How vague can they be?

    Thank you,

    submitted by /u/Pincushion
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor won't stop backing up an driving into the yard of my new home. (IA)

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    So a few months ago, my great grandma passed, an i inherited a bunch of stuff (ull see in another post). My fiance and i finally moved in a few weeks ago now that everything is in my name.

    Just shortly after I moved in, I planted some flowers at the front of the yard (small front yard huge back yard). Around the property on our side. Bushes are surrounding it. But there is alot of space between the property line an the bushes. Enough to plant some flowers. I bought flowers an planted them from a green house.

    A few days later, I come out to water them, an see that their all crushed an that there are tire marks in the soil. It clearly looked like it was driven over. I plant more. Next day run over again.

    My fiance put some cams up to see who's doing it. I plant more again but this time just cheap ones.

    The next day their run over again. Fiance checks the camera and we see its our neighbor across the street. They back up, and they back up so much that it shows them crushing the flowers, then drives onto the street. Theres plenty of space to back out too for them. It can fit 3 cars if they were side by side.

    We have someone check our property line to see if maybe where I put flowers were the city property. (Ik some city's have a few inches from street to grass thats considered city property). Im told my land goes all the way to the street, so where I planted my flowers were on my property.

    So in the flowers place, my fiance puts a no tresspasing sign a few days later. Its not the expensive stuff. Just a wooden stick in the ground with a metal sign nailed onto it.

    A couple days later, thats knocked down an fell into the bush. Finally I have the guts to go to the neighbors door to knock.

    I go over an tell them them they need to stop backing into our yard and their ruining our property.

    They tell me its their 17 year old son and to screw off. And it still keeps happening.

    And now im worried for my dog. We were going to put an invisible fence for my dog in but now im worried that they will keep driving into my property and possibly hurt him in the process.

    Can i report them to the police if they keep doing this?

    submitted by /u/largesummoney1298
    [link] [comments]

    Mom’s partner passed suddenly and left her with his debt, what are her options?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    My mother was common law with her partner for 4 years when he passed last week suddenly. He didn't have life insurance and carried about $8000 in debt. The only possession he had of any value was a classic car worth about $10K.

    He is survived with 3 children all in highschool who want the car. He didn't have a will and selling this car is the best way to cover his debts but MTO said my mother needs written approval from all three daughters before she can sell it which I know they won't do. They respect her but there's no way they'll sign something saying they're ok with her having the car.

    What can she do to get the car? The children don't understand that he has debt that need paying as well.

    submitted by /u/KGCreations
    [link] [comments]

    Being Accused of Hitting Kid with Car?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    I live in Wisconsin (Dane County) in an apartment complex and around 7pm tonight there was tapping on my window. I opened the door to 3 kids (around ages 8 - 14) and the main kid tells me I hit him on his bike with my car Monday afternoon. He points at my car and asks if it was mine and I confirmed it was.

    I had to pause and think because I so infrequently drive at this point (work from home) that it took me a minute to even recall if I drove Monday. I asked what time this supposedly occurred, as I would be pretty sure if I hit a kid with a car, my parking lot has sharp curves with blind spots and kids are always playing in the lot, so I always go slow. He said 4ish, I checked my timesheet on my phone and I took my lunch at 2:10 - 2:46 as I ran to my sisters to pick up something.

    I asked what the delay was in contacting me if I did hit him 2 days ago? He claimed he went to my leasing office to get my license plate from the lot cameras and my apartment number. He inferred he was coming to me as I wouldn't like it if his mother came by. They claimed there was a scuff on the front of the car "from me hitting them", which there is a light blue scuff like if you rubbed a sneaker on a gym floor, right under my front plate.

    At this point I called my dad for his opinion while I went back in my apartment. They continued to knock on my door and I cracked the window open and my dad directed me to ask what they wanted if I supposedly hit them. They answered, "Bread". At this point, I told them I would call the cops.

    I did call the cops who said they will call me back about the issue, I just wanted to know, how should I talk to them? I've never talked to cops before and am not sure of the correct way in which to do so, advice would be appreciated.

    (I did call and left a message with the office, asking if this was true, and if it was, why wouldn't they call the police if someone had hit a child with a car? I also wanted them to know that there are kids going around potentially conducting scams. I also circled my car and took pictures in case of any surprise sudden damage, and have ordered dash cams so this isn't an issue in the future.)

    submitted by /u/lastjabberwocky
    [link] [comments]

    (UK) University claims to be fully catered, now is providing 600 calories a day.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 03:05 AM PDT

    I'm a student volounteer who coordinates and runs a freshers week at a university in the UK. For my reps and for the new students the university commits to provide catering and advertises its accommodation as catered, and charges extra for this telling students they don't need to bring food. However with Covid the reducing the capacity on their kitchens the ammount of food has been reduced significantly. Some days we looked at the ammount and it was like a tangerine for breakfast, half a slice of bread cut in half again with cheese in for lunch (so 1/4 of a full sandwhich) and a small portion of rice and sauce for tea. For the food provided for quarantined students they are advertising the packs they are delivering them as 600 calories a day.

    I'm not sure if this is legal, maybe from an advertising point of view to claim to be fully catered and I've tried looking on the Gov.uk website but can't seem to find anywhere that says the minimum amount of food someone has to provide.

    This year at at least this university is going to be a complete bag of shite in general and the running joke is that its Fyre Festival 2, because they have also shut students shared kichens (these only had a microwave and toaster, but I specifically want to know if the ammount of food they're giving us is legal or if there's anywhere I can actually find information about this.

    submitted by /u/akakinthekettle
    [link] [comments]

    [SF, CA] Next door neighbor has trespass on our property many times to fix their house. After police was called, they are now trying to threaten and force their way onto our house to repair their house.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 06:39 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    My parents own a house in San Francisco, CA are having issues with the next door neighbor and needed some legal advice or a referral for a good real estate law attorney.

    Basically, the next door neighbors keep asking and harassing my parents every year to go into our back yard, on top of our roof, and on our front entryway staircase so that they can maintenance/ repair their entire side of the house that's facing my parent's house. My parents have repeatedly told the neighbors "No" and that they do not have our permission to go onto our property for any reason. The problem is the next door neighbors trespass and climb over the backyard fence and onto my parent's property whenever my parents are away at work during the day. My mother has caught them grabbing their supplies and running to climb back over the fence back to their side of the yard many times, and in the most recent event just a few weeks ago, my mother called the police when she saw them in our yard with their ladders trying to climb onto our roof. However, because my mother's english is bad, I don't think she was able to communicate the situation well enough to the police and the neighbors ended up lying and claimed they got 'verbal' permission from my mother before. The police deemed it as a civil matter and asked my parents to seek legal help and install surveillance cameras to prevent them from trespassing again.

    Now this week, the next door neighbors are threatening to litigate under the auspices of California Civil Code Section 1002 so that can they enter my parent's property by force.

    The next door neighbors have harassed my parents to enter and go on our property every year for as long as my parents have lived at the property, which is since 2002. The reason my parents refuse to let the next door neighbors enter or go on our property is because many years ago when they first bought the house, they allowed the next door neighbors to go onto our roof to repaint their house, but the neighbors took advantage of my parent's kindness and repaired a lot more than just the paint on their house. At the time, the neighbors also didn't treat my parent's property with care and ended up damaging their roof (caused sagging), their wooden fence (cracks and holes at the bottom), and went onto our roof and property when we weren't home, even though my parents clearly told them they can only come over when we're home. They denied the damages they caused which caused my parent's to distrust them ever since. The next door neighbor is a contractor who had his license either suspended or revoked a couple years ago due to some illegal work that he did to his own house and/or other houses that he worked on. Due to the fact that he was once a contractor, he knows how to take advantage of a situation and trespasses whenever my parents aren't home to do work on his house.

    I don't live with my parents, but wanted to help them because they are stressed out over this, but also because I feel bad they're being taken advantage of. Any legal advice or a good real estate attorney referral will be greatly appreciated and I'd like to thank everyone in advance for their time and help.

    P.S. The next door neighbors could definitely fix their house without setting foot on my parents property. It would just cost them more since they would need a suspended scaffold.

    submitted by /u/ZushiZushinoMi
    [link] [comments]

    I have a friend who was forced to leave a hospital in the middle of treatment to go to work under threat of termination. Is this okay?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    Title pretty much says it all. My friend (25, f) is a Wisconsin resident with type 2 diabetes who went in for ketoacidosis. Her boss then contacted her and told her that if she didn't work, she would lose her job. She was forced to leave the hospital in the middle of treatment in order to meet these demands. This all sounds incredibly fishy and shady, and I was wondering what laws or rights, if any, protects against situations like this. And what steps, if any, could be taken in retaliation. I should mention that she has been trying to find another place to work to get out her current employment with no luck, and I fear that they are using this as leverage against her. What can she do?

    submitted by /u/hawkeblocke
    [link] [comments]

    Employee pumped gas into diesel truck, got truck towed to mechanic, truck repaired. Now wants reimbursed for all associated costs. IN

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:47 AM PDT

    I'm not declaring this request illegitimate, I'm asking if it is.

    This employee has been using this truck for over a year. He knows it's a diesel. He pulled it into a gas station and pumped it full of E85 because he thought it was a diesel pump. He is on the road, still in INDIANA.

    He traveled 2.5 hours north of our office location, refilled the tank with the company fuel card about a half hour out from the destination. The truck made it 20 minutes to the hotel, but broke down in the hotel parking lot. He checked his receipt and realized he filled it with E85.

    He called me freaking out about how unlucky he is. It is pure carelessness.

    He went on to have the truck towed to a mechanic, and I haven't seen the total costs associated yet. Tomorrow is payroll and according to him he is hoping to have all the receipts to me for reimbursement by then. I'm sitting here thinking this a-hole just totally damaged my vehicle with carelessness, can I deny his reimbursement? I don't know that I will, I'm just wondering what my legal standing is.

    He's getting written up either way. This is his 3rd major incident involving carelessness but the first one with a hefty cost.

    UPDATE: Just got a call from the mechanic, dodged a huge bullet, 0 damage. All in all about a thousand dollars including tow bill to get the vehicle back in operation. I'm going to have a sit down with this guy and write him up but hopefully he will grow from this mistake.

    You can lock this I get that I have to pay the reimbursement, unless I want a legal battle over it which I may likely lose.

    submitted by /u/tds_dgs
    [link] [comments]

    Property next door is being cleared for new house. Tree company cleared trees on my property. Said it was a shared septic drainage ditch but ditch is fully on my property.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    (Virginia)

    So I had a tree line of young but deffinetly not sapling trees that blocked my view of the next door property.

    The tree service cleared those trees that were deffinetly on my property. When I talked to one of the guys, he said they had to because it was a shared septic drainage ditch.

    I call BS because the ditch is roughly 3 to 4 feet from the property line which I verified against my survey and the survey marks put down when the new owners had the survey done on their property. I also know where the pins are on that side of the property.

    I have to submit a written request from the records office to get a copy of my drainage easement paper work to see if there's even an easement on that side but it will take a week to get that paperwork back.

    I get that I'll need a lawyer if there isn't an easement and I would have a case for reimbursement if the new owners don't remidy the situation. My question is what should I do while I'm waiting for the easement paperwork?

    I dont want them to start digging the ditch if it isn't shared because I want to put farm fencing up on my property line (will be within code as the property is a rural estate vice residential.

    submitted by /u/TheRealSHyZA
    [link] [comments]

    My Mother's Fiancé Died After They Bought A House... Now His Ex-Wife Wants to Claim the House

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 12:14 PM PDT

    My Mother's fiancé (and the co-signer of the loan they took out to buy the house) passed away back in April. The house was bought in March. While planning the funeral, my mother found out his $100,000 life insurance policy went to her instead of his ex-wife/family (he does have an 8 year old daughter who lives fully with her mother). The family and ex-wife were salty, and she applied to be his creditor. Unbeknownst to her, my mother went through the same process. Now his ex-wife has decided to take my mother to court... to get the house that my mother is a co-signer of. His ex-wife did end up managing his probate assets, but my mother paid for the funeral and was given his life insurance policy. Does his ex-wife have any real claim to the house as a creditor? Will the court side in favor of my mother because she is the one still paying mortgage payments/on the loan?

    submitted by /u/addisonwilson02
    [link] [comments]

    My school wants to expel me for using an inappropriate password

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    So last month I was creating an account for school on a website called "gizmos" and I was being immature and I entered a bad word as my password. I did it for a few reasons:

    1. I did not care about the accounts security... what was someone gonna do if they hacked it?
    2. I assumed my password was private, like any big website that stores student information, private information about me, like my password, should not be stored in plaintext, so I did not think anything of it when I did it
    3. I'm immature as fuck

    So anyways, fast forward like a month and my parents get a call from my schools IT guy, and he explained to my parents that I used a very inappropriate word as my password, and that he reported it to the schools administrators.

    After this, I get on the phone with him and I asked him why my password was being stored like that. I have a lot of experience with internet security, and how to store passwords properly, and this raised some pretty big red flags to me. Passwords should never be accessible to anyone except ME.

    He explained to me that it was in case someone forgot their password. Which is odd because, if that's the case, he should ONLY view passwords that people asked him to view, with the person fully aware. I did not ask him to view my password. So I was curious... why did he view MY password? So I asked him this while I was on the phone with him, he told me:

    "I was teaching a new teachers how to use the admin panel. While I was doing so, I wanted to show how to recover a students password, so I randomly clicked on you since you were the first person to appear"

    This sounded like an okay response to me, but it still felt very uncomfortable to know that my school is storing student data like this.

    So anyways, my school administrators have not made a decision yet, and I am supposed to be getting an email soon where hopefully I can explain my point of view fully. What should I say? Is it really a good argument to say that they shouldn't view student passwords?

    BTW it was the n word

    submitted by /u/EmperorBale
    [link] [comments]

    Fence dispute ends with chainsaw

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    Mostly just posting out of curiosity, as I don't think it would be worth hiring a lawyer. My parents neighbor over the last year has expressed issues with my parents fence. He for some reason has decided it is his fence, and when my parents bought the house and modified the fence he started to complain. We contacted the previous owners of the house, and they mentioned the neighbors prior complaints with their fence, even though they built it when they put the pool in.

    The last we left it with the neighbor is that he needed to get a survey done to prove the fence was his. And if it is his, then the township would not have approved it, as it is facing the wrong way.

    Today, the neighbor got out his chainsaw and cut the fence down. Police called, but when they arrived they said they cannot do anything because he had stopped before they arrived. Obviously he continued after they left.

    If my parents want any money out of him, I imagine a civil suit? But what if I just want to see the man put in jail? Isn't destruction of property a crime? They police say they couldn't arrest him because they didn't see it, but my mom did take a video of him doing it.

    Edit: located in Michigan

    submitted by /u/joshtw13
    [link] [comments]

    [Florida] Bought a new house; feeling harrassed due to former tenants' legal trouble

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    This is my first time posting in this subreddit, so mods let me know if I do anything wrong.

    I bought a house a couple of months ago from someone who had previously been renting the house out (almost since the day it was built). I've heard all kinds of insane stories about previous residents and the owner, but the house is in a quaint suburb and was an affordable price, so up until now, I've just handled the bad press and tried to endear myself to the neighbors.

    Almost immediately after moving in, I started receiving mail for the previous tenants - past due notice, cancellation notices, unpaid toll and ticket notices - it all started racking up. Obviously, I didn't open any of it, but half of it is marked past due on the envelope, and the other half is being confirmed to me through public records and mail from law offices. Every day, they'd have something coming in from someone trying to collect: Florida Highway Patrol, Bank of America, Geico, Citi Bank, Florida Hospital... it's like they lived here in peace for the last 3 years, never paying anyone a dime, and the minute they move out, the repo men have awoken from their slumber.

    Now, this would not bother me if it weren't for the fact that almost every time I return the mail as "No Longer At This Address," I have someone at my door trying to serve them in person. It's like clockwork. Today, I had a community service worker from the sheriff's office that I probably snapped at a little too much (she was very nice), but I'm tired of having to get up from my work to inform some stranger at my door that the house has changed hands. I'm currently working from home, so the interruptions feel particularly egregious to me.

    The part that actually has me scared is where I'm afraid one of them will do something illegal and have the SWAT team or something sent here looking for them. I know this seems dramatic, but my aunt was a victim of a police raid made at the wrong address. Her place was destroyed, and the people the police were looking for didn't even live there. I just bought this house, and I've since done a lot of work to it, so I might lose my mind if the police came in here, smashing it apart.

    I have so many questions: What should I do to move forward? Is there some authority I can inform that this is happening that can get it to stop? Is this legally harassment at this point? Should I start calling the businesses that send them mail rather than returning it through the postal service to try to avoid having someone show up in person? Should the previous seller have disclosed this to me, if he knew?

    submitted by /u/Wumbology__PhD
    [link] [comments]

    M21 Father put a rootkit in my PC he shipped to me.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    Three questions at the bottom.

    Canada, Alberta Moved out at 17, homeless for a few years, picked up and later requested previous items on the basis I'm in friendly terms with parents. Received all my ID's, Birth certificate, PC and alike back from them. Cut contact immediately after receiving. Problem is my father is an IT Networker with a background in Cyber Security. Obsessed with knowing as much as possible about my life as I tell them nothing. I've gone through several gmail accounts etc... I'm confident they've photocopied all my ID's and SIN, they are very controlling. Now this ID problem is most definitely a concern however I've already got a ruined credit score and I'm not particularly concerned about how to switch all of my identity over at this exact moment, but I'm confident they will abuse my identity to it's fullest extent in due time and would like to know the process of switching literally my entire identity including if possible SIN to something new.

    The second problem is the PC that was sent to me, hadn't turned it on for six months since receiving, just recently sent it to a basic wipe virus's using malware bytes guy, although the log report printed off indicated a trojan & rootkit alongside various other malware, I'm wondering if there's any degree of legal recourse I can take regarding the fact my father is actively sending me bait malware through email, rootkitted my old pc before sending it back to me alongside other misc problems related to this.

    At this exact moment I have a new email that has no such association with any previous accounts or other emails, alongside phone number.

    Question 1. How to switch all of my identity over because I'm confident they will abuse my identity to it's fullest extent in due time including if possible SIN to something new.

    Question 2. How to remove them from all listings as an emergency contact (especially in hospitals) as they will not make good decisions on my behalf.

    Question 3. Legal recourse for breaking into previous gmail accounts, rootkitting my pc before sending it to me, sending me bait emails and just general duress because of having to be extraordinarily vigilant when handling any form of new message or file, of course however I have no evidence and am confident he covered his tracks, I have meta data from files indicating they were on a computer in BC, thats the extent of my proof.

    submitted by /u/Odexiant
    [link] [comments]

    My violent and estranged father made a gift-to-a-minor account with Fidelity for me 29 years ago, which I just found out about now because the IRS thinks I took money out of it in 2018. What do I do?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    I'll try to give enough context for my story to make coherent sense and also be brief.

    32 years ago a creepy old rich man wooed my mom and they had a kid. (me, and a few years later my little brother.) He was a horrible and violent misogynist. He beat my mom on a nightly basis and raped her occasionally. Obviously we had to get away from him, eventually we safely hid ourselves somewhere in the state and she began the separation process. I was around 6 years old. During the process social workers/law enforcement found that he had been hiding money he got from his business from the IRS by opening accounts of some sort in my name and social security number, my little brothers and my moms. He was told to cut the shit by the court and was also told to pay child support, which he only paid for a little while and then stopped. While I don't know the details of what those "accounts" were or anything, I know that it stopped back then.

    Okay. Now I'm 29 years old and a month ago the IRS sends me a CP2000 letter saying I owe them north of $1000 dollars over mistakes I made on my 2018 taxes. I looked over it with a person who understands tax stuff and two things stood out.

    1. One of the jobs I worked back then made a mistake with my W2, which the IRS caught. Okay cool.
    2. The IRS says I earned north of $5000 of something called a "dividend" with some company called National Financial Services in New Jersey.

    Well what the fuck is this? I WISH I had $5000 dollars laying around, I'm broke! But what is a "dividend" anyway? I'm a computer nerd, not a finance nerd, so I have no idea. And this can't be right, I've never heard of that company, and I have never BEEN TO New Jersey, much less worked in New Jersey. What is all this?

    So I start investigating. At first my family thought maybe it was some sort of gift my grandfather left to me, before he passed away, but forgot to give to me. That turns out to be false. I try to call this "National Financial Services" but I found out they're just a front for Fidelity. So I call Fidelity. One guy seems sympathetic to whatever is going on, but he has no way of confirming my identity. He asks if I recognize a couple of phone numbers, but I will assume they were both my fathers. I try to explain to him that he won't have any current information on me because I didn't make this account and it's not my money. He just said that is indeed my name and SSI number that is one of the ones on the account. I asked what the other one was, and he said my fathers name to me.

    He says all he's allowed to tell me is that the account was made in the early 1990s and it's the "type of account" that is generally made as a gift to minors for when they need money to go to college later in their lives. Without confirming my password or other identifying information, he's can't let me into the account. I tell him that I don't want to get into the account, I just don't want my name in it at all. I tell the guy that I can't afford to pay all these taxes on something that is not mine. I tell them that I don't consent to be a customer of their products or services, and I want them to disassociate themselves with me completely, and for them to call the IRS and explain what the deal is to the IRS.

    He says in order to take myself off the account, I have to have access to the account.

    I tell him it's not my account so I don't have access to it.

    He says it is my account because my name and SSI # are on it.

    I say if it IS my account then let me take myself out of it.

    He says no.

    I ask him what am I supposed to do then.

    He says that I have to go to my dad and have him sign a paper to legally give me ownership of the account.

    I explained to him that I watched my father beat the blood out of my moms face every night for a few years straight and that because my father is a very violent and dangerous man and I don't want to be within a 5 mile radius of the guy. Also, I'm not actually sure if he's alive anymore.

    The Fidelity guy says "oh" and says he's going to have to sit down with his superiors and have a talk with them because this is a unique situation he's never had to deal with before. He emailed me a link to a thing that would ask me to upload some documents. I followed the link and it didn't ask for any documents, it just asked me to make a Fidelity account.

    I emailed that guy back, but I got a response saying he went on vacation.

    Last week I walked to a Fidelity store and the guy there heard my story and gave me a number in "transition services" to call. After being on hold for 40 minutes they transferred me to their boss, who transferred me to "securities division" who treated me very rudely and told me "You're outta luck" and then hung up the phone on me.

    I called back and got to one lady who is actually helpful and is trying to contact my father to try and sort this out on my behalf. However, knowing him, if he gets money, or a "dividend" thingy, from it and I have to pay the IRS fines on it, he'll love that situation and keep doing it. She said in an email today that I'm she's still trying to find my father but has had no luck yet. It's likely he's dead.

    I can't afford lawyers, so what should I do here? What CAN I do? Does my father just get to keep getting more "dividends" and I have to keep paying fines for it, forever?

    submitted by /u/otakugrey
    [link] [comments]

    Family in car accident. Need some advice

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    Sunday, my wife and 3 children were in their vehicle, on the way home from a play date at a friends house. After stopping at their stop light, their light turned green, her and the person in front of the continued through their green light, as a person on the opposite side of traffic ran a red left turn light, smashing into the driver side of their vehicle, knocking my 8 year old daughter unconscious and giving her a concussion and burns and bruising from the seat belt, and bruising my other 1 year old and 4 year old.

    My wife took the brunt of the force at the driver side front of the vehicle, and has a sprained wrist, abdominal bruising, and a fractured L2 disk in her back, along with severe bruising from the seat belt and airbags and whatever else she knocked against during the accident.

    I was out of town at the time working 10.5 hours away and was on the phone with her (hands free Bluetooth) during the entire accident, in which I hear my children screaming and my wife crying for my daughter who was unconscious.

    I rushed home as fast as I could, to meet them at the hospital, in which my 1 year old was released same day while my wife and 2 older kids were kept overnight. Thankfully everyone is alive and doing ok. But, I'm pretty much financially responsible for the rest of my wife's vehicle payments since I don't think we're getting enough back from the insurance company to cover the entire loan, and my wife could possibly have long term effects to her back from the damage to her L2 disk.

    I'm asking for advice as to wether I have a base for a lawsuit against the other driver, to at least cover lost wages, and/or pain and suffering for my wife and children. The other driver also had several citations as well on her record. And if so, is there anything I need to do, or SHOULD do to help my family out in this situation. We're essentially going to have the remaining loan from her totaled vehicle, and another loan for another vehicle that they will need. Especially if I am working out of town.

    Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

    submitted by /u/Hazeups
    [link] [comments]

    [West Virginia] I was fired yesterday, immediately after returning from medical leave from being injured on the job. All the claims against me in my termination letter are false.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 05:16 AM PDT

    I have contacted 2 lawyers in the area and am waiting to hear back, and haven't had any communication with the employers since. I didn't yell or get upset while I was being fired; I just packed my plants and art, gave my keys back and left, and even joked about how I've never been fired before.

    This is an old throwaway account.

    My job was similar to a social worker, specifically for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and other such victimizations. I loved this job, and was very good at it. I've never, ever, received a written warning during my time there (almost a year), was eligible for a raise, and did a lot of outreach that improved our overall services in the community. My clients loved me, and I helped many people. The board of directors is out on leave this week, so this was done by my supervisor. I already have recommendation letters from my favorite judge, and the sheriff, I'm not worried about finding another job based on my skills and connections, but have never been fired, and don't want that on my record.

    I was shocked by the sudden firing, but the worst part is the termination letter. The letter is scathing, defames my professional character, and most importantly, each allegation against me in the list is wildly incorrect, hearsay, and otherwise not provable and not true.

    I want them to either remove the false claims, and just fire me without cause, as they could do in West Virginia as a right to work state; or, allow me to resign after the chance to argue against the allegations, since these allegations are serious, and false. Pretty much all these claims came from a coworker, and were never observed by my supervisor (......because they are false!).

    I have a response drafted with time-stamped screenshots, that serve as evidence in my favor. I will be sending this letter, I will not let these allegations slide without a chance to respond and tell my side, with or without a lawyer.

    The way I was injured (I'm fine now, not serious) was responding to a hospital during my on-call shift, helping a patient (my client) get to a better hospital after being mistreated there.

    I raised concerns about the first hospital through a nurse, with my supervisor's permission and blessing, and an investigation was started into the first hospital and the doctor who 'treated' my client. This was all just last weekend. I opened a worker's compensation claim (which was denied, whatever), worked 2 days, went on medical leave, and my first day back, was immediately fired.

    • I don't necessarily want to sue a grant-funded non-profit that I recently loved, for compensation; but I was 100% wrongfully terminated. I have never been fired before, so I don't know how unemployment benefits work, except for 'This is West Virginia, so everything is slow and terrible.' Can a lawsuit be non-monetary, with the goal being to clear my name? Would a lawsuit be able get the supervisor removed?

    • Are my goals unrealistic? These claims are absurd and defamatory, and I was never confronted about them by coworkers or management, and not given a chance to respond or defend myself.

    • I am very angry and hurt, but I have not confronted any staff member or supervisor, or reached out to the board of directors. I texted 2 of my favorite coworkers, simply saying I got fired, love them both, stay in touch, etc, and did not offer any details.

    • My work emails contain evidence in my favor, but I no longer have access to the email, nor have I attempted to log in.

    Besides getting a lawyer, which I'm staying on top of, is there something I'm not seeing or thinking of that I've missed? Thank you for any advice or insight into my situation, your response is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/pinkcloudthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment