• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 22, 2020

    Legal Advice - (Update) I am a high school student not allowed to sit for the pledge despite warning staff

    Legal Advice - (Update) I am a high school student not allowed to sit for the pledge despite warning staff


    (Update) I am a high school student not allowed to sit for the pledge despite warning staff

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 11:56 AM PDT

    (Illinois, USA) Man. It's taken me for ever to get back to updating this.

    Here is the old post :)

    High School student, im not allowed to sit for the pledge despite being in a public school and despite having warned multiple staff. https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/dh9zgs/high_school_student_im_not_allowed_to_sit_for_the/

    Alright, it gets a little crazy from here. So the staff would scream at me, warn me with detention, in school suspension, etc If I didn't stand for the pledge. I contacted the ACLU. I'm glad I did. The principle spoke w me, as well as one of her staff and I named all the examples of teachers flipping their shit or coercing me otherwise. Eventually I got them to change the handbook to say that students don't have to, that way we had more recourse. It was a small win. I wish I pushed harder- I had the ACLU on my side. I felt bad about busting the principals balls. I should have done more. You'll see why. I suggested an explanation or an announcement. Something EXPLICIT. I suppose it was easier appeasing staff than an 18 year old, so they refused.

    So, what came of me having issue with this pledge thing which logically contradicts the concept of freedom? I've gotten so many threats messaged to me. People pretending to be polite, and then begging me to leave the country, others calling me a terrorist, to name a few. Everybody wants me to recognize that I 'have it good' but see no problem with this inconsistency that shouldn't exist- why are we FORCING people to say they're free and loyal to a country? I'm just the dumb 18 year old for questioning blind patriotism. The ignorance is dangerous. I took it upon myself to speak to a dozen veterans. A few, in person. THATS what I have done for you that disagree with me. And guess what? They agreed with me. They're on my side. We had long talks. They commended that I didn't mindlessly recite a pledge under threat of punishment. We shouldn't weaponize veterans to defend an idea we are taught is the right thing to do against all logic. So, what else happened? When did shit get crazy? I was sitting in class, the pledge came... we had a substitute teacher. This cool older guy that everyone knew and loved! So what did he do when a girl sat down during the pledge? Before I knew it, I looked up to see that he kicked a chair into this girl. This 4'11, 90 pound girl. She got so scared. Cause he fucking assaulted her, for not standing. I wish I could say I did more in that moment. I told him he had no right to do that, and I told the principal! And you know what? Nothing happened. I saw him in that room less than two weeks later. Land of the free, home of the brave. But don't you DARE question something as innocuous as, why am I being forced to recite a pledge every day?

    I have nothing to apologize for. I only regret avoiding writing this follow up. It felt too draining. But here I am, writing it out in 15 minutes!

    TLDR: why pledge allegiance under force if we are free? Gets threatened. Called terrorist. Dismissed. Changed school policy. Saw girl get a chair kicked into her for not pledging allegiance.

    I graduated. Should I press that they are explicit with this issue? The principal said it was mandatory they enforce the pledge via Illinois law. No one was forcing the aggressive sentiment among staff though. And yeah, this happened in a blue state.

    submitted by /u/Mo_Meant_M_On_YT
    [link] [comments]

    My cousin (an unmarried adult, 27) passed away and my drug addict aunt wants to bury evidence related to his death. Can I or his sister request the police to run a toxicology report?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 02:12 AM PDT

    Hey all. We're from California. My cousin died in Santa Clarita a few hours ago. My cousins and I strongly believe he passed from a drug overdose. But my aunt is the one that found him. My aunt is addicted to meth and so is my cousin. She is usually his supplier.

    My other cousins (his sisters) all had to run away from home to get away from their abusive mother and brother.

    My cousins and I want a toxicology report done. Are we within our rights to ask the police to do one or at least get the results? My aunt will try to bury it and is already telling everyone it is a heart issue. My cousins think this is bullshit because I'm the only one in our entire family with heart problems and not one of them had an issue.

    We all strongly believe he overdosed. Are toxicology on a 27 year old male common? If not can we request one?

    My aunt left the scene to supposedly "call for help" we're pretty confident it was to get rid of the drugs and she came back and reported "found her son" to the police 2 hours from their home.

    My cousin and aunt had a terrible addiction. But I take my aunts sayings with a grain of salt. However if there is a chance there is an underlying condition I and his sisters feel like we have the right to know. My aunt is talking about an quick cremation.

    submitted by /u/Ashkir
    [link] [comments]

    [UTAH] I ran away and my parents want me returned and to get guardianship over me, please help me.

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    Long story, sorry. I'm also going to say now that I'm legal and that I turn 20 in October.

    When I was 14, my parents sent me to one of those goddamn abusive boarding schools in the Utah desert. I was not depressed, I was not acting out, I was holding a 4.0 in school and I had friends, what happened was I denied their faith and so they wanted to send me away to make me weak and compliant. I'm a woman, they wanted me to be a handmaid, not have my own opinions. They came for me in the middle of the night and I was taken to hell in the blink of an eye.

    I got out after a bit more than 24 months, went home, and immediately got my first job and worked my ASS off while I saved money and hid it from my parents. I didn't think that I'd actually be able to save up as much as I did but I worked after school and during the summers. It's amazing what 5 12-hour shifts weekly will do for your bank account. All this time, I was actively lying to my parents about money and I was saving in order to run away the moment I could. They forced me into a marriage at 17 and I was divorced 3 months in due to severe abuse from him that even they couldn't condone.

    By the time I was 18, I had over $20,000 saved and I had a high school diploma. I applied to the schools abroad that FAFSA covers, I filled out FAFSA (I'm considered an independent because my marriage and divorce were legal and went through the courts), I got accepted to a school abroad, and I ran like the fucking wind in the middle of the night. I changed my name, got new documents, got a visa to the country I went to, and I'm good on that front. Everything happened legally, my parents were just not involved in the slightest. Absolutely no one knows where I am.

    It's been a year since I left America and now I'm in a much better place. I recently looked at the Facebook of someone I knew in the cult and there's an effort underway to find me spearheaded by my abusive family. The authorities are involved, a HUGE amount of money has been raised and a reward for me to be returned safely is being offered, and they plan to take it public and make it a nationwide search (manhunt) so that I'm "returned" to them. They're also saying that I'm unable to take care of myself due to Autism and such when I've never been diagnosed with anything and my medical records DO NOT read as such. My parents have public Facebook profiles and are talking about getting guardianship over me once I'm returned because the fact that I ran from them proves that I'm unwell and the community we were in would back them up 100% and I'm terrified.

    I'm safe, I left by my own will, I'm not ever coming back, I haven't committed crimes, and they can't force me to. However, is there a way for me to contact the authorities or someone to tell them that I'm safe and sound and want no contact with my family without giving up my whereabouts? I need to sort this as soon as possible and I don't want anyone to come for me because I know that bad shit will go down and I absolutely want no part in it. I don't want my abusers in my life or finding me again and I am desperate to remain safe and sound abroad.

    This has no identifying information, I made sure of it.

    submitted by /u/THROW_AW_AY_RUN_AWAY
    [link] [comments]

    My parents are filming me sleeping and using the bathroom (UK)

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    So we live in a very tall (but very thin) house and for years now my parents have had an audio monitor in my room so that they can always hear what I am doing when they are on the ground floor. Also, for pretty much my whole life I have suffered from mild (compared to the cases you hear about online) insomnia.

    I am currently 16.

    During lockdown and covid my insomnia has gotten worse. Thus, my parents have been able to hear me going frequently to the bathroom (when I am lying there awake I become more acutely aware of my bladder filling up as the hours pass).

    The thing is, they seem to think that I am actually doing other things (like building something or something like that) instead of trying to sleep, and so have tried punishing me for it (e.g. forbidding me from my weekly zoom calls with friends, or taking away my laptop/phone).

    This has cumulated into them finally making good on their threat to buy a video monitor, so they can watch me in the bathroom and sleeping. I am forbidden from closing either door.

    Obviously this makes me very uncomfortable, and I so I had a Google online to see if I had any rights, and I found out about something called a "reasonable expectation of privacy."

    I brought it up with my parents and they said that as a minor I have no rights, and that if I try and take any legal action I will (a) be taken out of the good school which I worked really hard to get a scholarship for and (b) kicked out as it is "their house," not mine.

    Can they even do that? Do I have any rights? Is there anything I can do?

    Lawyers of Reddit, please help.

    submitted by /u/cantFindTheFood
    [link] [comments]

    [North Carolina] Neighbor cut down multiple trees on my property without permission

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    They did this 2 years ago, I sued and won, and they've just done it again yesterday.

    This time they hired a company to cut the trees instead of doing it themself. Is the company at fault/liable or only my neighbor? They lied to the company about the property line.

    Please see section C here, I don't fully understand it:

    https://www.ncleg.gov/enactedlegislation/statutes/pdf/bysection/chapter_1/gs_1-539.1.pdf

    "(c) Any person, firm or corporation cutting timber under contract and incurring damages as provided in subsection (a) of this section as a result of a misrepresentation of property lines by the party letting the contract shall be entitled to reimbursement from the party letting the contract for damages incurred"

    submitted by /u/MadMarioMax
    [link] [comments]

    Went to court for child support and judge decided to do custody on the spot and removed my nursing toddler I have 100% of the time to give his absent father 50/50

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 10:59 AM PDT

    Someone please help me I am so devastated. I filed through tribal court (we are in Nevada) for help enforcing an existing state child support order, I believe it's called getting it domesticated, as my son's dad lives and works on the reservation and has been ignoring the order (his work was knowingly doing this as well).

    Well we went into court yesterday and the judge asked why we weren't doing custody and goes "well we're doing it today". I was pretty sure she couldn't do it on the spot like that but I wasn't sure and she kept yelling at me and called me an unfit mother, mentally unstable, and she "wants to do what is going to piss you off the most".

    I was so flustered and upset and crying (she even said "you can sure turn the water works on and off") that I couldn't think to say any of the things my ex has said about our son - that he will "gladly terminate his parental rights" if he can stop child support, that I should have had an abortion, the only reason he's around is because of child support, etc. She said she wanted to give his full custody and me the weekends, but she was going to be nice and do joint 50/50 custody starting immediately. She was trying to make me go and get my son and threatened to have the police go pick him up. I told her this is absurd, we live 100 miles away, I am the only person/parent he has had in his life since day 1 and he has only ever been away from me for one night and he is still nursing to which she replied "he's 3 and still nursing? that needs to stop" and I said "that's not your decision he's my child not yours" and she said "well better start pumping a bottle because that's what's happening".

    She suspended the child support order and demanded he take my baby after court. I was given no documents or papers and he took my child and is being a smug asshole. He didn't even want him, he just wanted to not pay child support. How is this happening? I have a tribal advocate that says we are going to file an emergency appeal for order of stay to the appellate court but I cannot find a lawyer that knows tribal law still. Please help me!

    *Edit - my question is how is this legal as nothing had been filed by either of us regarding custody. Don't I have rights to be notified of a pending custody case and a right to due process to prepared my evidence?

    **Edit 2 - I am also a tribal member of the same tribe. We do not live on the same reservation but a neighboring one where I work.

    submitted by /u/UniformUnicorns12
    [link] [comments]

    My city lied to my title company while in the process of buying a house.

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    I bought a house in Feb of 2019 where my title company contacted the city prior to closing to confirm if there were any outstanding balances for the seller to pay prior to closing. They said no, there were no outstanding or pending charges. Just received a notice in Sept of 2020 stating the prior owner never paid 900$ for sidewalk repair and I must pay for it. My title company says the insurance they place on closing does not cover a claim where a party lied. I threatened the city with a lawsuit stating i have a signed statement from the title company stating they confirmed there was nothing outstanding. They are not backing down. Do i have to get a lawyer to fight this? How can this be legal?

    submitted by /u/Mr_Waffles1337
    [link] [comments]

    Previous Owner trying to take house back

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 05:37 AM PDT

    Thank you all for your help! I won't be responding anymore. I think we have enough information that friend can deal with this lady. Thank you.

    Hi. My friend in Indiana is currently trying to figure out how much she can do to stop the litigious previous owner from trying to take back the house. She bought her house in March and has the deed in her name. The previous owner left things in the barn that my friend asked the old owner to remove. This prompted the old owner to say she is going to sue for her house back.

    My question is twofold: 1) does she need to take any action to prevent the lady from taking her house away? (And how much will it cost. Finances are an issue and trying to be minimized. 2) how does she get the lady to take her stuff back/legally dispose of it?

    Thank you so much for your help

    Thank you all for the help. I didn't want to advise her to underact but also didn't want her to spend money overacting. Thank you for helping her find the appropriate balance. She'll just ignore the threats unless she gets formally sued then will get a lawyer and will talk to title insurance people

    submitted by /u/throwaway2020kid
    [link] [comments]

    My employer wants me to sign a contract allowing them to withhold my last check if I don’t provide 2 weeks notice. Is this legal?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    I'm in PA. My employer asked that I sign by this Friday an addendum to my employment contract stating that I understand they will withhold my last paycheck if I do not provide them two weeks notice as "damages" related to them having to find someone new. They stayed that this doesn't change the position being at-will but that I should "understand" the difficulty that quitting without notice would cause and understand why they're retaining the last check.

    Gut feeling says this is illegal but I'd really like some advice. Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/sideeyeshay
    [link] [comments]

    My medical school suspects I was cheating, I was petting my bird

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 01:16 PM PDT

    I'm in medical school and during one of our exams last week (which is proctored over Zoom and recorded) I was petting my bird in my lap. I know this was stupid but I have anxiety and I have a pet bird to help me cope and I was petting him in my lap during the exam. I thought it wouldn't be noticeable during the exam but apparently it was and they think I was on my phone.

    I fully realize how stupid it was to be petting my bird, but I get debilitating test anxiety, where I fail questions I know the right answers to. I almost failed my first year, only passing because I worked extra hard during finals week to get stellar grades last minute to just barely pass. Taking exams in quarantine has been great for me because I can have my pet with me and help me cope and maintain a B average instead of several D's followed by one panicked A.

    How should I present my case? I have no proof, it's just my word against a very incriminating video of me. It sounds like such a stupid answer to say I was petting my bird when any other person would be on their phone in such a situation. I'm terrified of getting expelled, I've taken out too many student loans and gotten too far to be kicked out now over something I didn't even do!

    Edit: If this hearing does go through, is it even worth mentioning my bird? or should I just keep denying that I was cheating? Because that's the honest truth, but because medical school is so high stakes I wonder if that will even pass as believable, since my class size is so large they wouldn't feel so much loss from one person being expelled. though I know it is multiple students being accused.

    submitted by /u/playedwithabird
    [link] [comments]

    A therapist at the rehab I went to has told my personal health information to her friends

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 06:50 PM PDT

    Hi all! Seeking legal advice.

    Last February, I was struggling really bad with alcoholism and I voluntarily checked into a rehab/detox center in a neighboring town. My second day in there, I was taken into the doctor's office where they told me that someone who knew me worked there and it was a conflict of interest. Turns out, it was my boyfriend at the time's ex wife, let's call her Tracey.

    We knew she was a social worker who worked in this town but it was a new job for her so we didn't know exactly where she worked. The doctor told me that they were going to "keep her away from me" and make sure she didn't have access to my medical information. Tracey and my boyfriend were on decent terms so I decided to stay. Unfortunately, she worked on that unit and although they moved her to a different unit for my time there, her office was beside my unit so I saw her in passing multiple times a day. It was very awkward.

    So this summer my sister was dropping my niece off at her new day care and a girl who worked there asked if I was doing better.....? When I heard this from my sister, we figured out that this daycare worker is Tracey's best friend. I let it go.

    Fast forward to last week. I run into an old coworker whom I love and trust but I hadn't seen in a while. She asked me if everything was okay and mentioned that her son had been to the same rehab I'd been to. I'd never told anyone I was there with the exception of my boyfriend and my immediate family so I asked how she knew. She turned bright red and admitted she had heard it from a friend of Tracey.

    I'm in Tennessee in a small town (as if you couldn't tell) and I'm a realtor. I'm really upset because as far as I know it is illegal for an employee to tell anyone at all that I was even there. I feel like this has damaged/is damaging my reputation. I didn't get a dui or in any legal trouble and nothing crazy ever happened when I was drinking so there is no reason for anyone in my community to know about my problem.

    Tracey grew up here and has a lot of friends. I did not. My reputation is extremely important to me as I have to present a certain image to promote my business. I can't afford for her to keep telling people.

    Is this considered a HIPAA violation? I don't really want to get anyone else involved and damage my reputation any further. But I am extremely mad about it and I wonder what my options are.

    submitted by /u/justokayvibes
    [link] [comments]

    Got in a car accident with a gas tanker and now I’m being sued by the EPA

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 05:01 PM PDT

    I got in a car accident with a gas tanker. An eighteen wheeler t-boned my car and they are saying that I blew the red light when the pedestrians around said it was the eighteen wheeler who blew the light. Cops wrote me a ticket on the spot and I went to the hospital to get checked out. About a week later I got a notice from the EPA saying the gas tanker leaked 250 gallons and now I maybe on the hook to pay up to $250,000. I only have collision insurance and am not covered for property damages. What are my options? Located in MA

    submitted by /u/Moreoptionss
    [link] [comments]

    Breach of contract in new job

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    USA - South Florida

    I wasn't sure whether to post this here or at r/personalfinance, but on to the situation at hand.

    I(18m) started a new job at the local Goodwill just to make some money during college etc. As part of my hiring packet, I was given a form that stated that I would be given a pay raise of $2000 a year(equivalent to 1 dollar an hour) once my training was complete(so from minimum wage in my county of $8.56 up to $9.56). At the time, I asked the hiring manager about it and she confirmed that that was indeed what it said.

    So, I started my job last Thursday and every manager and supervisor etc said I was doing super well. This led to me asking today when the training period would conclude and my pay be raised. The store manager said "pay raise doesn't happen for a year" to which I responded by mentioning the form I was given. She didn't seem to know what form it was but did eventually find it on the website and in my hiring packet. She then said that the hiring manager I dealt with was new and wasn't supposed to give me that(she was clearly frustrated), since it was only meant for managers who got hired, not associates, and was apparently not even used anymore as well.

    So, my question is: is there anything I can do short of trying to sue them for breach of contract(which I obviously won't do)? And, does it even qualify as a breach of contract? I'd be fine with something small like a few hundred dollar bonus/apology, but it seems like they aren't going to do anything and I feel like that isn't right.

    If I'm totally wrong here, just let me know.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/coolmanjack
    [link] [comments]

    Nightmare neighbors at Apartment

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit. New here so apologies in advance.

    I'm having an issue... and it's honestly caused me a weird anxiety.

    Back in June me and my husband moved to an apartment temporarily. Everything started semi okay. We own one dog (a Boston terrier) and a cat.

    I was new to apartment life so I didn't understand at first how my dog -might- disturb my neighbors below. Well... they made it clear after awhile. She (with her 16 lb body) sometimes gets excited and likes to play with her toys or play with her sister cat. you know.. dog stuff.

    Well one day my neighbor started banging the ceiling (which would be our floor). So we got the hint and have since tried to calm our animals down and not allow them excessive hyperactive time. When I do let my dog play I let her play on our bed, couch, or take her outside.

    I spend 3 or so days a week here alone because my husband is a firefighter so he works 24 hour shifts. It seems like whenever he is away is when the banging gets worse. So... I am left alone to tend to the animals and also school and my own work. No issue normally.

    What got me so badly one day was the excessive banging. I'm not talking one or two bangs. No. I'm talking 40+ because I counted and even have video. My cat... my 10 lb CAT jumped off the back of the couch to the floor and they banged aggressively 5 times. I shut the door to the dishwasher and they banged. One time no one was even moving and they banged. Then finally at some point for HOURS they turned their music up very loud to where I could hear it clear through my bedroom floors. Oh and I forgot to mention I shut the front door and they banged.

    I was so scared. Crying... we reported it to the front desk and I sent all the evidence I had. They ruled in our favor and for the longest time it's stopped and we assumed they moved.

    I never stopped keeping my dog calm even after we thought they were gone because we didn't want to bother anyone. My dog is very well trained and will listen to me. She also very very rarely barks. Like... ever.

    Fast forward to about an hour ago. Our cat darts into our room and we hear it again... the banging. It's back. Hard enough I feel the floor vibrate. Like no kidding. At first we thought "nah... couldn't be."

    But then My dog jumped softly from the bed (like even I didn't hear it) and they banged so aggressive.

    They continue banging when literally no one is moving.

    Right now it's 10:05 PM and they have been blasting their music for about 1 1/2 hours. My husband is trying to sleep because he has a shift tomorrow. Lucky me he falls asleep easy but I'm laying here listening... not sure what to do.

    I plan to go to the front desk again tomorrow and speak with them.

    I'm just so scared.. honestly. I hate being here alone and I don't even know what these people look like. Is it an angry girl? A big buff bro guy? My husband was about to go down there and confront them but I don't want that.. I know he's tough but what if they did hurt him ?

    I can't even go anywhere now without feeling like I have to be super quiet. I went home to visit my parents and I dropped something by accident and I went stiff and was waiting to hear a bang... it's honestly frightened me so badly and I don't know what to do. I want out of this place but we really can't start looking for a home until December / January.

    Please help me... what can I do. I just want peace and not to live in fear.

    We are located in North Georgia. This is suppose to be a "luxury" apartment also and we pay $1350 a month

    submitted by /u/Spookylynx
    [link] [comments]

    Crazy husband manipulated my sister in law into a motion to default.

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 06:06 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    So I'm going to make this as brief as possible. I really didn't know where else I could go for some quick legal advice so here I am.

    My sister in law who lives in Florida was served divorce papers late 2018. Immediately after she received these papers her very controlling and manipulative husband took the papers from her and told her that he had delayed their divorce and was not following through with it. Some time passed before my wife and I got involved. Her home life with her husband was becoming increasingly more volatile and he was threatening to throw her out. When we started to look into the divorce documents online we discovered that there was a "motion to default" filed against her about a month ago, with a final court date for Sept 30th via Zoom. We've been scrambling for legal aid to try and get her legal representation but have since noticed today the case has been updated with "order finding good cause" and the Zoom date has been cancelled. Can anyone please tell me what this may mean?

    Desperate for answers :(

    submitted by /u/Rad_JPTO
    [link] [comments]

    (Oregon) my boss wants me to work 7 consecutive 24 hour shifts

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 09:37 PM PDT

    I work in an adult foster home. My boss owns 2 other adult foster homes and is very understaffed, she has asked me to work 7 consecutive 24 hour shifts I do get to sleep during the night though. I get paid $200 per 24 hour shift and while I would just quit there would be no one to cover my shifts and I can't leave the residents there alone.

    submitted by /u/123aloha
    [link] [comments]

    [VA] Landlord says Application Deposit is Non Refundable

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 04:49 PM PDT

    I applied for a new apartment. They required I submit an application deposit as well as an application fee. I was accepted and signed the lease. They now say that the application deposit is non refundable and will not be applied to my rent. I understand a deposit to be different from a fee in the sense that the deposit would either be refundable or applied forward as rent/security deposit.

    Am I just misunderstanding the terminology, or are they being deliberately misleading? If the latter, is there any recourse?

    submitted by /u/SpoonHanded
    [link] [comments]

    Wife has Left me and started taking our money. NJ

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 01:28 AM PDT

    Details

    • I have had a seemingly happy marriage until the past two months when my wife became pregnant
    • We have been arguing over theses two months, mostly about how my family make her feel.
    • Last Thursday 9/17 she asked for a divorce with little reason, It took me completely by surprise.
    • She has left home and is staying with family and friends
    • Monday 9/21 she had an abortion
    • Monday evening I went to buy some food and discovered she has managed to cancel my cards and my access to our joint bank accounts / savings.
    • This is particularly hard because I have been without any income since August. Largely because of her encouragement not to return to work in these COVID-19 times.
    • Over the course of our entire relationship we have made it a priority to pay off her student loans.

    What am I to do? We only had about $15000 in savings. Is a lawyer even worth it for suck a small amount?

    Would it hurt me to contact her and ask why she has cut me off? I am now left with $12 and a host of bills due in the next two weeks.

    submitted by /u/mcqtip86
    [link] [comments]

    What are the limitations on minors receiving medical treatment w/o parental consent in Illinois?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 10:21 PM PDT

    To be specific on my situation, I'm 17, I live in Illinois, and I very much believe in and want vaccines. I have received all the required vaccinations for school thus far. My mom however is pretty antivax and trusts Facebook groups filled with unemployed middle aged women instead of, you know, people who went to med school for 8+ years. Despite my protests, she has not taken me to get a flu shot in years and I just know that when the COVID-19 vaccine comes out, she won't take me to get that either. The thing is, from my understanding anyways, if I wish to return to my normal life of school and extracurriculars in person this year, I have to get that vaccine. And I just want to receive the COVID vaccine regardless. I turn 18 in February, but I know in some states you can get vaccinated without parental consent. What is it like for Illinois, and what would I have to do to go about this? I've done enough research and even took medical classes at a local college, so I'm pretty firm in my personal stance on vaccines. Nothing I say will change my mom's mind and I don't feel comfortable just not being vaccinated, so I feel the only option is to just do it behind her back. Any help or advice you have on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

    submitted by /u/jacrispylives
    [link] [comments]

    [Georgia] Can I and my birth family reopen my adoption case?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 03:07 PM PDT

    I was adopted at age 3 by the family I currently live with. They had fostered me since I was stolen from my birth mom when I was a few months old.

    There was a contentious court battle between my biological birth mom, my foster "parents," and my biological grandparents that lasted from when I was 1.5 and 3 when the foster "family" won because they were white and that is how it works.

    Since then I have lived with this family that took me away from my family and it has been hellish. I didn't realize just how bad it was until I was 14 and my biological mom managed to find me at my high school and opened my eyes to just how messed up the situation was.

    When the adoption went through, it was meant to be an open adoption and I could have visits with my mother and siblings. I have vague memories of these visits up until I was around 6, when they stopped. It was never outright said, but the family I live with implied my mother and siblings simply stopped showing up. This led to a lot of feelings of abandonment with me yet again, and to learn that not only has my bio mom been begging the family I have been living with to allow me to see her and my siblings, the family I have been living with claimed this wasn't possible because I was not able to emotionally handle this.

    I also learned that of my siblings (7, all stolen from my bio mom when I was) I am the only one that was not returned to her custody following the court battles because they found a rich white family to take me in.

    I am 16 right now, and I have not become a part of the family I live with. It is hard, I am a Black boy pretending to be a part of a rich white family that likely just sees me as their pet, like another dog to be minded. They haven't been abusive or outwardly racist, but my entire life that is is very clear I am just a continuation of their fake civil rights ideals (my fake grandfather worked with Martin Luther King and the whole family sees themselves as being civil rights activists). I have been removed from my culture and inserted into a foreign culture where I do not fit in and where it is clear I never will.

    Meanwhile, I have a mother and siblings who would love nothing more then to welcome me back home, who I can only see very occasionally in secret because I know the family I happen to live with would not approve. They pretend she is a crackhead who left me alone in a crack den malnourished as a baby as she went out whoring herself around for money for days at a time like the bogus report said from the people that stole me from my family. This is not true at all, as my mother and siblings have told me.

    Recently me and my actual family have been discussing me running away to be with them, but I thought I would research if there was a legal way to reopen the adoption case as my mom has a bit of money and really wants to fight for me. So that is my question, how would I go about reopening an adoption case, or starting a new one, to reunite me with my real family? I know I would be losing my relationship with my fake family (college fund, etc) but at this point I can't stand knowing I was stolen away like this.

    submitted by /u/OkBodybuilder6340
    [link] [comments]

    Unemployed- Boss asked me to come back - Without pay and get paid through unemployment benefits (felony level fraud)

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 06:09 PM PDT

    I'll try to sum it up efficiently.

    Became unemployed from catching covid at work. My boss hired some new people to work there and didn't contact me for 5 months. Today he called out of the blue and asked if I was on unemployment and then proceeded to ask if I could come in to work to "help out" (for 30 hours a week) UNPAID. He wants me to do it under the table and accept unemployment benefits still.

    He did not actually offer my my job back for $10/hr and instead asked me to commit felony fraud so he can save some money instead of having to pay me himself. Of course I refused and told him that's illegal, if I work i'll need to get off unemployment. He still didn't offer me 10/hr and tried talking me into fraud more.

    After he audaciously asked me this, I asked for my 100 hours he never payed me when I first got sick (I even begged him at the time, and had 20$ in my bank account for two weeks.) I was dirt broke and he wouldn't pay me, just flat out ghosted me anytime I asked about it.

    He basically refused to pay my 100 hours on the phone and said he lost a lot of money when I was sick, so he can't afford to pay me. I told him "You owe me that money, I got sick working those 100 hours. Those are unpaid wages" to which he stammered, fumbled some words about asking for free help again and I asked for digital payment or a wire transfer, and he hung up.

    My question is:

    -Should I file an unpaid wages claim on the Unemployment website?

    -Each week you fill out an unemployment benefits survey, they ask if you were "offered work and refused it". My boss didn't exactly offer me work, he offered me an illegal deal to commit unemployment fraud and also refused to pay unpaid wages. This guy is a human cockroach. Somehow he is convinced I "owe him" 30 hours a week of unpaid labor. Do I check the "I was offered work and refused" box this week and not receive benefits? Maybe I should call the unemployment office and explain my situation (but I'd feel bad for his family, this guy could get locked up)

    -3rd option: Report. the living shit out of this scumbag (who was caught, by employees, not paying into their social security for half a year and in general doesn't pay people for weeks or months at a time. He also makes employees illegally transport liquor from store to store. At least in Kansas this is against the law. I always refused to do that.

    TLDR: Boss called me to go back to work without pay and siphon unemployment funds while working under the table. Refuses to pay 100 hours of pay from months ago. I'm afraid he'll try and ruin my unemployment eligibility after refusing to commit unemployment fraud for him.

    submitted by /u/legalthrowaway-1234
    [link] [comments]

    Grandparents rights advice (Ohio)

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 02:06 AM PDT

    My fiancé and I have an almost 5 month old daughter. We don't want his mother to see our daughter and she texted him last night saying she was going to contact a lawyer about grandparents rights. She has never liked me and never tried to form a relationship with me and when she found out I was pregnant, then she shown interest. She has only met our daughter once and she had like 6 shots of fireball the hour and a half we were there, although we don't have proof of that. All that aside, we don't think she would be a good influence because she is very irresponsible. She has received at least 1 DUI in the past year or so, she has 7 dogs that have not been around a baby - and one she has said didn't like children, she doesn't follow safe guidelines for covid (we have a text showing she wasn't willing to self quarantine for 14 days to see our daughter because "she deserves to still have fun"), she still drinks all the time and leaves her 13 year old daughter and 16 year old autistic son home by themselves so she can go out drinking and to a lake house (his grandmother, her mother, said she was worried about his sister because of this), and her boyfriend smokes a weed pen (she also does occasionally) and leaves it lying around anywhere. She's also not been a good mother to my fiancé when he was younger. For example; when he was in second grade she let his teacher take him on vacation, for two weeks, out of state without knowing her outside of school. She's careless and who knows what will happen if she is given visitation with our daughter. We both don't want his mom to see our daughter, but the only thing that's concerns us is that we are unmarried. I am going to contact a lawyer tomorrow, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Edit: added info.

    submitted by /u/haylakess
    [link] [comments]

    Square Credit Card Processing deactivated our account and is withholding our $50,000 in funds for 90 days

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    We are a retailer selling high end goods to consumers, and have been using Square for our credit card processing.

    We processed a high ticket transaction close to $50,000 and square wanted us to provide documentation such as a copy of an Invoice, Bank statements, customer details etc. where we provided all requested info.

    The next business day, Square deactivated our merchant account and the only reason they provided was that, "we're unable to support your business needs." They are withholding our funds close to $50,000 from us and will not release it for a period of 90 days.

    With a deactivated account, there is no method of communication that can be made with Square anymore, you just get stopped by their automated messaging system informing you of their decision and that it is final.

    We have filed a complaint with the BBB, wondering what other methods can be taken to have our funds released from them.

    Appreciate any advice.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/BEEFEATERR
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment