• Breaking News

    Monday, September 21, 2020

    Legal Advice - I was robbed and I saw my stuff at my neighbors' house.

    Legal Advice - I was robbed and I saw my stuff at my neighbors' house.


    I was robbed and I saw my stuff at my neighbors' house.

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 02:24 AM PDT

    The deets:

    -I was away visiting my sister for a couple of weeks.

    -I came home to find my place had been burglarized.

    -Called 911, they directed me to call 311. They helped me create a request for a police call and then the police called me a day or two later to create a police report

    -Talked to the detective gave him an itemized list of my stolen property. Provided what serial numbers I had and distinguishing characteristics of my property. Also some login info so he could subpoena my records from Netflix and other companies.

    Fast forward a week

    -detective has some pawn leads but nothing substantial enough to mention specifics

    -I am moving out, obviously, but when I was taking stuff to the trash my neighbor had his door open and I could see into the apartment and I saw my computer chair

    -I am non-confrontational, so I went back into my apartment and called the detective...who is off for two days

    -I was trembling when I was making that call. I felt like I was in danger because they know I know they stole from me

    Questions:

    Is there anything that can even be done? Im assuming that they can't get a search warrant just because I said that I saw my chair in there. Is there anything else I should do?

    One offs to the story...

    When I came home my back door to the patio was wide open and the air was full blast. I know I turned the air off when I left.

    I noticed in my electric usage it was below a kw starting when I left then two weeks after I left it was getting usage again (5 days before I returned)

    The neighbors who I saw with my chair is more than likely a drug dealers house. High foot traffic in and out, for mostly short periods of time. People coming and going at all hours of the day. Most of the people that come and knock on the door look like they are already on drugs as well

    I had new neighbors that moved into the apartment right next to me around the day my place was robbed

    I talked to the new neighbors the day after I got home and when I told them about the robbery both of them ignored it and had no visual reaction to my comment

    The day I saw the chair at the other neighbors house, I saw the new neighbor's son using a box of Kimberly-Clark purple nitrile gloves. the same kind I had under my sink

    Edit: I live in Texas, USA

    submitted by /u/militoni
    [link] [comments]

    Police broke into our house by accident

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    Last week, the local police were conducting a series of drug busts across my city. One location was in my neighborhood, 4 houses down the street from mine. Of note, this is not an area known for drugs and crime, it's your pretty typical suburban neighborhood and not considered a "bad" part of town. They came in through the back alley and mistakenly broke down our door instead and tackled and arrested my husband who was still at home just getting up for work.

    I had already left for the day but got a series of frantic texts from him following this incident. He thought we were getting robbed by a gang and hid in the bathroom hoping they would just steal things and leave. He could tell they were going to find him as he could hear them coming in to our bedroom and tried barricading the bathroom door. Three armed police officers managed to push their way in, tackled and arrested him. Cue a bunch of chaos and confusion as they realized they were in the wrong house and he was the wrong person.

    He's physically ok, minus some soreness from the arrest but no doubt this will cause some psychological distress, the extent of we might not fully know for awhile. He was lucky in the sense that once he saw who they were, he didn't resist as I think he was just relieved they weren't likely to kill him at that point.

    It just seemed like a case of someone (or a whole lot of someone's) not doing their due diligence. They didn't confirm the house number before they broke into our house. My husband said they kept asking him our address when they had him in cuffs and if he was sure that was our address. The city (aka: our tax dollars) will pay to repair the damage to our house and the doors they broke down. What other legal recourse do we have against the police service?

    Edit: We are in Alberta.

    submitted by /u/eatmoreveg713
    [link] [comments]

    [Texas] My son’s ex-girlfriend’s parents are threatening to sue me because my son (apparently) took her virginity in my house

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    My 16 year old son has an ex-girlfriend (they were 15-16 during their relationship. A lot of this is basically just from what I've heard from the parties involved, so I am not sure about if there is to more to it then what I know.

    Apparently shortly after the girlfriend turned 16 (January of this year) my son (already 16 at this point) and her, well had sex in my house. Until this week, I had no idea this happened, and certainly did not encourage my son to peruse sexual intercourse with this girl (or anyone), though I have had factual and realistic discussions with him regarding sex, safe sex, and that he would have to decide with his significant other when moving to that stage of the relationship is appropriate and how far they want to take any relationship.

    I only know this happened because a few days ago I received a letter from the girlfriend's father informing me of of a couple specific points (he claims to be a lawyer, I have never met him):

    1) That on (date) my son violated his daughter's (insert name) chastity and raped her.

    2) That he and his wife were working with their daughter and a therapist so that his daughter would realize that this action was rape and justified legal/police intervention.

    3) That under Texas law, seeing as the location indicated was on my property, I could be sued for damages incurred by my "blatant disregard to her womanhood," specifically her apparent inability to be wed within the Christian church and emotional trauma related to her lack of understanding that such a sexual action was rape.

    Of course, I sat my son down and talked to him about this. He admitted that they had been sexually active during their relationship - twice - with the first time having been in his bedroom at our home. He stated that it was completely consensual, and that he had been in contact with her since they broke up (in March) and was aware that her parents had found out, and were trying to get her to report it as rape, but that she had no intention of doing so because it was not rape and was 100% consensual. He had text messages showing this as well (with her specifically stating that all sexual acts were mutually agreed upon, even one stating that he should keep these text messages safe just in case her parents tried to do something).

    I just want to know if I could be held liable for the fact my son took his girlfriend's virginity on my property in Texas.

    By the way, not sure if it is relevant, but her family are strict Mormons and the "therapist" they mentioned in the letter is apparently, according to her, her priest who is apparently treating her horribly.

    submitted by /u/Jazzlike-Teaching156
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate is planning Halloween party at the house we share, despite my telling her I’m not okay with it during COVID-19 - Georgia

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    Hi all - looking for some advice.

    My roommate invited 50 people to our house for a Halloween party while we are in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. When I told her that I was not comfortable with it, she said I could stay in my room during the party or move out.

    ***Edit: We live in the city of Atlanta where we are in phase 2, according to the Mayor, which prohibits gatherings of 10 people or more. Can this be enforced?

    Do I have any legal standing to say she can't have that many people over? Can I call the police for trespassing if guests come over and they refuse to leave, even though they had her permission?

    After first glance of my lease, I did not find a limit of how many people can be on the property at one time.

    Also of note, our lease automatically renewed for one year at the end of August. Otherwise I would try and move out beforehand.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/slh0023
    [link] [comments]

    [Update][Fort Thomas, KY] Did a property survey and explained my plans to my neighbor about installing a privacy fence. May be getting into a property line dispute. What are the laws surrounding easements I need to worry about (if any) and what are my rights regarding trees bordering our properties?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 12:54 PM PDT

    It has been over three months since I made my original post. For a Friday night post, I actually got a lot of responses and I thank everyone who participated.

    The main reason this update took so long is because the fence company was hella booked due to COVID. Everyone is doing home projects. I finally got my fence in last week! Here are some photos (rear, side 1, side 2 ). You cannot see the angry neighbor's house to identify them (posting rule #3) due to the glorious privacy we now have from the fence. But you can see some piles of honeysuckle I have not gotten rid of yet - there was so much of it. Also, given that we now have an enclosed backyard, we GOT A DOGGO! Meet Juniper.

    Between the last post and now I have not had much contact with the angry neighbor. I decided to basically avoid him and only communicate with him if I had to. In the meantime, I took your advice and hired a lawyer to put my ducks in a row. This was basically peace of mind in case the neighbor came at me with more drama. I also talked to the city zoning director who told me the neighbor had no idea what he was talking about and he gave me my permit. I feel like I should mention that the neighbors on either side of me are super nice and I've made it clear that while the fence is indeed a privacy fence, there are gates available to them should they want to drop by and they are welcome any time. The both of them are planning to get matching fences to stretch along the back of their properties as well. The guy on my left (side 1 photo above) also borders the property of my angry neighbor, so this dude is in for more fence frustrations lol.

    During the days the fence was being installed, my neighbor and his family were watching the workers like hawks. The dude even came out and yelled at the workers for "being too close to his side" to which the foreman told him to go away. I guess these fence guys deal with this nonsense all the time and have hard skin about it.

    Anyway, the fence is up, the dog is having a great time and (in my opinion) it looks great back there. I know not everyone is keen on privacy fences or fences in general and to each their own. We love it and did it by the book and this neighbor can continue to fuck off for the foreseeable future.

    Thank you /r/legaladvice .

    submitted by /u/Iswitt
    [link] [comments]

    Someone posted very personal photos from my childhood-through high school with very provocative and disgusting captions.

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    Hi, originally from PA, currently living in NYC.

    30 y/o female here. Earlier today a person from my high school sent me an instagram account of someone pretending to be me. The account had my first name and a profile picture from about 7 years ago. The account was created in June and had an inappropriate handle (referring to pedophilia)

    When I opened the page I was sickened. There were photos from my grade school, high school, and up until I was 25. The grade school photos appeared to be photos taken from a year book. But another one was of a disposable camera photo that even I don't ever remember seeing with 2 friends who I am still friendly with. These photos had explicit captions and sexualizing my childhood body.

    The later ones had personal information such as who I was friends with and under the guise as if I was writing them. For example, "Just got dun fxcking these two, I did all the time in high school." Other ones had photos of me and my friend's kids that insinuated I was a pedophile.

    I'm a mental health professional and have a very private online presence. While I recognize it is unlikely that my patients have come across this, I find myself very paranoid. The account had over 100 followers and appeared to be normal people rather than bots. This has been up since June, and out of shock I immediately reported it.

    I was able to grab screen shots of the photos, but I regret immediately reporting the account because I would've like to see if I could pinpoint any clues to who it might be. I grew up in a very small, rural town so the options are limited. Any advice? Is there any thing I can do to contact instagram and see if they could show me the page again and also to get the IP address? Would reporting it even do anything?

    Edit: Added location.

    submitted by /u/igthrowawayhelp
    [link] [comments]

    Please help, I'm concerned for my safety

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    I'm using a throwaway so that my relative does not attempt to track me further. A few years ago I escaped an abusive household with the intent on cutting contact completely. A relative of mine works in the City Auto Licensing office of Boise, Idaho and tracked my car to a new location in Washington state when I left. I have since changed cars, and license plates, and moved several times. I have two questions.

    1. Is what they did illegal? Can they really use the city's system to track my whereabouts for personal reasons?
    2. Is there any way they can track where I am now that I have new plates? How can I keep them from being able to know where I am?

    I feel very unsafe now that I know they have even a rough idea of where I'm living. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/cartrackadviceTA
    [link] [comments]

    My Job is telling me to comeback while I'm being told to quarantine By the state (NY)

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    Recently, I(26m) came in contact with someone who had covid. I got a call from the NYC tracers Last monday and was told to quarantine. I told my job and immediately they were trying to get me back asap. I told them what the tracers said and at first they seemed like they were going to comply. However, my job called me again on Thursday saying that once I got my test results back, I was supposed to disclose my covid results saying that they talked to the Dept. of Health and the the DoH said that I could come into work with no problem. If at that point I chose to still quarantine that once I got my result back, that they wouldn't give me paid sick leave.

    This conflicted with what I was told by the tracers. They had given me a state mandated note before this that was handed into my job on the same day my boss called me. The notice stated that I was supposed to quarantine for 2 weeks, regardless of a Negative or a positive result. I asked the tracers twice(Thursday & today) to make sure who was right in this situation. I was told that I had to quarantine or risk a fine, and because of that the job couldn't force me back into work especially with the letter.

    My questions are:

    • Do I have to disclose my test results with my job?
    • Is them asking me for my test results illegal?
    • Can they force me back to work, or not pay me if I continue to quarantine, even with the letter from the state?

    If there are any other questions, I would gladly answer.

    submitted by /u/javantejv
    [link] [comments]

    A taxi driver broke my electric wheelchair and refused to give me details for insurance, what do I do?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 04:16 AM PDT

    I posted this on r/talesfromthecustomer and they sent me here, can anyone help? For context I'm in the UK

    Yesterday was a long day for me. Every week I have to take my youngest son on a 100 mile, 4 hour train journey to his dads, usually we stay at my mum's for a few days while I take him to school, and then I do the return journey on Tuesday. But I am chronically ill and the second wave of Rona just hit the UK and mums local area has really high numbers, so I decided I would just go straight back home. In total I was traveling for around 10 hours once you add in waiting for buses, taxis and trains.

    Why were there taxis involved? Well usually I just go from train station A - station B - station C - station D, but unfortunately there is maintenance work between A&B, so I would have to take a detour through station X. But station X has no wheelchair access, so instead the train company were lovely and they offered me free taxis to and from A&B. On the way to my son's father's house it all went smoothly but the journey back I had a big problem.

    I was getting into the taxi to go from B - A and the car had wheelchair restraints that had large metal clamps attached. These clamps where in the way of the ramp and I asked the driver to move them as I knew they would hit the bottom of my chair.

    Taxi driver insisted : "no I've had many wheelchairs in this car, it will be fine"

    I was exhausted and just wanted to get home so I drive up the ramp, and as predicted I hit the clamps. And all of a sudden my wheelchair wouldn't move and wouldn't turn on. I told the driver,

    Me: "something has happened to my battery, my chair isn't working, this is why I didn't want to drive over the clamps"

    Taxi driver: "it will be fine we will fix it at the end of the journey"

    He then shut the door without attaching any restraints to my wheelchair, he asked if I wanted a seatbelt but I declined as there was no point if my wheelchair wasn't restrained. All a seatbelt would do is strangle me when the car turned corners or put on the breaks, as my chair was sliding all over the place.

    I'm 5ft 2 and I had to crouch the entire 1.5hr drive because there was no headroom at all, and no way to get into a seat in the car from the wheelchair space. I kept headbutting the ceiling every time he hit the brakes as there was a low bit of ceiling at the back. Honestly this taxi was not designed for wheelchairs, it looked like the guy had just rigged his boot with a ramp.

    Anyway we get to the last train station and my chair is not switching on. The taxi driver helped me climb out of the car (thank god I'm not paralysed), and pulled my wheelchair out. I told him where to grab it, and specifically not to grab the handle on the back as that would take the back wheels off. So what does he do? Grabs the bloody handle and yanks the chair body off the back wheels.

    Then he made me pick up the VERY HEAVY back wheels and bring them out of the car, while he drags my poor chair on just it's front castors. We put the wheels back on and try to find the damage, we found that a peice of battery was missing and was not in the car or in my chair. This is where the driver tried to leave me there.

    Driver : "oh well you will have to call someone to pick you up"

    Me near tears: "I can't, my phone is dead and I can't go anywhere to get help because I can't walk far"

    Driver: "well what would you like me to do about it? I need to get back"

    Me: "at minimum I expect you to take me home, you can't just leave me here stranded"

    He reluctantly took me home and knocked on my door to get my husband, but refused to give me any details for my insurance. When we got in the house my husband looked at the chair properly and realised that the clamps had ripped some of the wiring out underneath. So it's gonna be an expensive job to fix and I'm currently stuck without a wheelchair. I don't even think my insurance will cover it as I wasn't the one who damaged it and I only have the registration plate number of the taxi. Which I thankfully memorised while waiting for my husband, the driver refused to let us take pictures of the clamps or his registration plate number.

    I am so angry and upset and now stuck in the house again for who knows how long xx

    submitted by /u/xxasynixxx
    [link] [comments]

    (USA) My daughter cut her hand at college, the RA called an ambulance for her without being asked to. My daughter refused service from the ambulance. I got a bill from the ambulance service. What to do?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 03:17 PM PDT

    My daughter (18) is a freshman at college this year. On move in day she was opening a box with a knife and cut her hand to the point where eventually she needed a couple of stitches. When it happened she did not think it was that bad and attempted to just bandage it. The bleeding appeared to stop so she continued to unpack and then it started bleeding again through the bandaging. She and her roommate decided it would be best if her roommate drove her to an emergency room or an urgent care clinic. Unaware of where they were in her college town they went to her resident advisor (RA) to ask where they are located locally.

    When the RA saw her and how her hand was bleeding she went back into her dorm and came back a few minutes later telling my daughter that another RA was on the way. She apparently had called the other RA because she was either her supervisor or simply had more experience being an RA. When the other RA showed up she told my daughter that an ambulance was on the way. Neither my daughter nor her roommate ever asked for an ambulance to be called, the second RA had called the ambulance without ever seeing my daughters injury.

    At this point the four of them went back to my daughter's room and waited for the campus police to show up who at this point were also called. Two campus police officers showed up and looked at it. They then all went down to the lobby of the dormitory where they waited for the fire department to show up who had also been called. When the fire department showed up they looked at her hand and put more bandaging (gauze) on it. She and her roommate wanted to leave during all of this to go to an emergency room or urgent care clinic but they were told to wait for the ambulance.

    Once the ambulance got there they made her sign a form refusing care from the ambulance. No one from the ambulance crew ever looked at her injury because it was wrapped in the gauze that the fire department officers had applied to it. She and her roommate then went to an urgent care clinic where they put a few stitches in it.

    After all of this I got a bill from the ambulance company for $188. Obviously I don't want to pay this. Before I call the university and possibly the ambulance company what advice would you give me in how to handle this before I call the school and/or the ambulance service.

    submitted by /u/Cuthand2020
    [link] [comments]

    Fence disputed in a town in California

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    My parents share the back fence of their property with an apartment complex, I will refer to the owner of the apartment complex as Ben (not real name). On September 9th, Ben asked if he can replace the fence (at no cost to us), my mom said yes. He removed the fence that day.

    The following week Ben said he had the land surveyed and his property goes 3 feet into our property. This survey has not been signed off by the county surveyor yet (it hasn't even been submitted yet) and we are planning on getting our own survey (trouble finding one immediately due to COVID) because we do not agree with this. Another surveyor looked at Ben's survey for us and said it doesn't look complete and that he knows and dislikes Ben's surveyor, but does not want to get involved. We have plans that came with the purchase of the house that clearly outline our land.

    We have asked him to stop until we can get the land surveyed independently and he needs to submit the survey to the county before he starts building. But he has already started using an excavator on this strip of land, damaging the roots of several trees (including an avocado tree).

    My primary question is, what can I do now to stop Ben's construction and further causing property damage (destroying trees). The sheriff said it's a civil dispute. Should I just stand on this contested land and refuse to move (I don't think this realistic, I'm just pissed)?

    FYI, they live in an unincorporated area in Alameda County, CA.

    submitted by /u/FenceAndBees
    [link] [comments]

    Can an employer force you not to wear a mask?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:54 PM PDT

    My gf's mom got a job at sheriff's department and sheriff told her people in his department aren't allowed to wear to masks. Considering everything that is going on, is there any legal issues with this?

    Edit: this is in Florida.

    submitted by /u/Disastrous-Alfalfa-5
    [link] [comments]

    Grandparents Rights and Egg Donation

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 01:10 PM PDT

    My best friend is reproductively challenged and I have no intention of having my own children. She has approached me about donating eggs for her to use with a surrogate and I am cautiously open to it.

    We'll work out the details about medical costs, etc... but my #1 concern about doing this would be my mother. My mother desperately wants grandchildren which I don't plan to give her. My mother was really abusive to me, physically and verbally. I have a mountain of DCF complaints from when I was a kid, but she was never officially deemed unfit. I did live with my dad for a bit when I was in middle school but I think that was a practical solution not a state decision.

    My friend and my mother both live in CT. I live in GA.

    Assuming we go through with it, we do not plan to tell my mother about the egg harvesting, but she doesn't plan to keep my involvement secret from the child or her family. I would be Aunt OP. My mother and my friend don't have usual contact, but if she were to find out that my biological offspring existed, how could we protect ourselves to block her access to the kid?

    submitted by /u/kw5112
    [link] [comments]

    Was sued for 500,000 on 2 year old minor car accident

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    So long story short, two years ago my girlfriend and her sister were at McDonalds. She bumped the lady in front as they were in the drive through line. The lady caused a scene and nothing was wrong with either cars. Cop was called but said since it was private property no citation was issued. Both parties went separate ways. Fast forward 2 years later, today my girlfriend gets a mail saying she was Sued for $250,000 up to $500,000 for damages involving lost wages, medical expenses, enjoyment of life(seriously) etc. How should the situation be approached? We have 20 days to respond

    submitted by /u/Saaavagery
    [link] [comments]

    I just purchased a new construction house that is unable to connect to communications services (phone, internet, tv)

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 09:02 PM PDT

    I purchased a new construction home in California two weeks ago and have been trying to set up service with a local ISP and found out there is no way to connect to the phone lines with how it was built.

    Almost every home in the area has an alley way that has phone poles that connect directly to each home. However, out home does not have an alley, and so there is another house in between our property and the service pole. The ISP refuses (probably rightfully so) to install a cable from the pole to our house since it "trespasses" over the other house and their utility easements don't cover any overhead path to our home. Their solution is to get permits and permission from the other home to dig trenches through where their utility easement does cover and snake it through our neighbors backyard to get to our property. This is a massive project (quoted $5-10k) that I feel like the home builders should pay for.

    It's extra frustrating because it would have cost a few hundred to bury the lines when they were building the property. Additionally they knew we would eventually have to pay a multiple thousands in a few years when the city buries the phone lines (which at the very least should have been disclosed when I bought the property).

    Are the builders responsible under the home warranties? Also- the ISP provider said that it's illegal for the home builders not have a phone line connected to the home, is this true? Is there any other legal recourse I have? Feeling pretty hopeless with the situation and how stubborn the developer/investor I bought the house from has been.

    submitted by /u/Notacrediblesource
    [link] [comments]

    Hostile Workplace Situation (TX)

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    So I'm going to try to give as many details as I can without this being identifiable. I'm a transgender disabled man, and those things are documented in my paperwork with this company.

    I work in foodservice, and my store manager recently took FMLA to work on his mental health. They brought in another manager who I did not meet until Friday the 18th. I was not aware that this manager would be the permanent location manager, even if my previous store manager returns to the company.

    From Day 1 of meeting this manager, I have had significant issues with him. I am open about my gender at work and the company encourages us to wear things that represent us - I wear a trans pride hat. The new manager refers to me as she, her, and ma'am despite me telling him that I am a man and use he/him or they/them (which I don't prefer but occasionally makes it easier). He has referred me as female to myself, my coworkers, and my customers of which it is impacting my reputation with. In addition, when a shift lead called him out, he took me behind the store (where there were no security cameras) to apologize for "getting that thing you've got going on there wrong".

    In the following days, he has continued to misgender me, and yesterday became increasingly aggressive towards me to the point that I left as I genuinely felt as if had I remained an altercation would have happened. HR is aware of this, as is the regional manager, and their solution is to "investigate" the new manager and meanwhile transfer me to another location. I'll be honest, I don't wish to be transferred as not only do I have good relationships with my coworkers, but also the customers and UberEats/DoorDash drivers.

    It rubs me the wrong way that it seems the company (which preaches acceptance and individuality in their employee handbook) is doubling down on their choice in hiring/bringing on the new manager and instead transferring me away.

    In addition, I do want to mention that 2 of the other 4 full-time employees have requested transfers due to this new manager's behavior, one of which is not cisgender but does not feel comfortable being out of the closet at work.

    submitted by /u/fml_5678
    [link] [comments]

    Husband falsely filed for protective order

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:44 PM PDT

    My husband of seven years and father of our 2 kids filed for divorce 2 weeks ago. It was coming to that and it's ok.

    He has told me before (years ago) that I will not see the kids if we will end up divorcing. He is abusive and controlling. It is a long story and I will not get into that. Will just say that it took for me 3 years of planning, saving money and going through counseling to at least try to get out. Long story short, last week I got a letter saying that protective order filed by him is denied and court date is cancelled.

    I was in absolute denial. We did not even had an argument and he lied trying to get to. The week he filed for it I was in school every day and working evenings, coming home late and not even exchanging a word with him.

    I do have a lawyer, I contacted her about it but have not heard back yet.

    If he went that low, I am scared that he will go further, and may fabricate some charges or worse. Like drugs in my drower and call the police or something of that sort. I am afraid to loose my kids.

    I cannot leave our house yet, I need to stay a few more weeks to be able to rent a place and have a custody order. I am so so so scared and even though I have a lawyer I do not know what to expect from him. We are in Maryland.

    Is there a way to protect myself here?

    Twitter version: husband lied to file for protective order, got denied. I am afraid he will pull off something more serious if he is capable of what he did. I cannot leave the house now, we have 2 young kids, not before custody is decided. He has been abusive but I did not file any police reports, only my diary >3 years. How do I protect myself?

    submitted by /u/Naive_Storm1146
    [link] [comments]

    Sold 12 year old car - buyer complaining 8 months later

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    So in February I sold a 2008 Hyundai for $1,300 to a local guy. Now 8 months later he's saying the suspension is shot and I need to give him his money back. What should I tell this guy? The car had 214,000 miles on it and the bill of sale he signed says AS IS. Can I tell him to go to hell? (nicely)

    Location is NY USA

    submitted by /u/asiscarsaleshelp
    [link] [comments]

    Just found out I have a bench warrant in MA for missing jury duty.

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    So, just as title says. I found out I have a bench warrant in Massachusetts for missing jury duty. I now live in New Hampshire, and am wondering how to get it taken care of, and what I should expect to come of it when I do.

    Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/WickedSweet87
    [link] [comments]

    How best to protect myself - Dad's girlfriend is moving in with him, in the apartment on my property

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:14 AM PDT

    Fall of 2018 I moved my father in to a 12'x28' efficiency apartment I added to my property. He's plumbed into my water and sewer, and has a 100amp subpanel fed off of my electric.

    If you are interested, here is an imgur album from when we bought it and finished it out.

    https://imgur.com/a/TIrcxMr

    Everything has worked out great.

    However, he is getting older, and has asked for some additional accommodations.

    Currently he has a 36"x36" shower stall. He'd like a bigger shower he can have a bench in to sit down. He'd also like more space, as he really doesn't have much storage space.

    Finally, he's had a girlfriend for the last 6 months, and she'd like to move in with him. And in that small of a building, there just isn't the space for 2 people full time.

    I am looking at purchasing an amish made cabin and having it delivered, and adding it as an addition to his current building. You can get a very nice 12'x30' metal sided and roofed building with doors and windows delivered for $5800. You just have to add electrical, insulation and wall panels. But that's all trivial, since I already did the same thing for dad's existing building. It would take me a few weekends to finish it out and make it into a very nice master bedroom with a big walk in closet in the back.

    Here is my concern - My dad wants to move his girlfriend in with him. To be blunt, I'm not much of a fan of her. My dad stays over at her place (she lives with her parents, but not like my dad, she still lives in her childhood bedroom and she's 49) and her parents and siblings love my father, they get along great.

    On the other hand, she's only came into my house twice. Once was because of a tornado. My wife has only met her twice in the 6 months that she's been staying in my dad's cabin for 3-5 nights a week. I only know her better because I'll go out there to visit my father while she is here.

    Since being laid off in March, she's crossed the line from functional to non-functional alcoholic. She gets the DTs if she doesn't have a drink first thing in the morning. She is incredibly lazy and stubborn about doing anything that a normal adult would do. Eg, it took months of my dad riding her ass to even get her to file unemployment. And I'm the one who logs in weekly to file her claim for her, because she won't learn how to do it on her smart phone.

    She has a 24 year old son who is the same way. He's the prototypical lazy stoner, wears a beanie hat even in 100* weather, works part time at Wendys, doesn't have a car, etc. Her family praises him because he cleaned himself up from being on hard drugs.

    My father is 60, she is 49. My father has health issues. He has stage 4 kidney disease. But regardless of that, he could pull out on the highway this afternoon and get creamed by a tractor trailer.

    If something happens to him, I am worried it will be impossible to get rid of her, and on top of that, she could move her son in.

    Besides an iron clad month to month rental agreement, what else can I do to protect myself from getting into a situation where I'm stuck with her either trying to claim squatters rights on the cabin on my property, or just flat out dragging me through court dealing with getting her out of there. As lazy and unmotivated as she is, I would foresee court being an absolute nightmare, and short of me going out there with a shotgun and throwing all her stuff in the yard, it being near impossible to get rid of her.

    I've also made it clear to my father that she will not be moving in until she can clean herself up and interact with my family like a normal person on a regular basis. He tries to get her to come in for dinner, or stuff like that, but there is always some excuse. "I'm tired" or "My stomach hurts." which is typical of how you feel when you wake up and start drinking from a goon bag at 8 am.

    submitted by /u/MediocreFisherman
    [link] [comments]

    Car insurance broker ignored the quote they gave me and are now ignoring me

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    When I purchased my new car in August I sent my bill of sale to my broker and they sent back a quote of what my policy would be changing to. When I received my actual insurance papers the amount on it was about $500 more than the quote I was given the week before. I emailed my broker about the difference and after saying they couldn't find the original quote they finally looked up in the email chain and told me they would look into it. That was on September 2nd. I've emailed them so many times requesting updates or information on how to cancel my policy since they are charging me an amount I didn't agree to and they wont respond to me, I tried two different people at the company and the general email. I'm afraid to call them since I want to make sure I have everything they say in writing.

    What other action can I take? I don't know what to do if they just don't respond or acknowledge anything I say but I also don't want to pay an extra $500 when so many other companies are offering a much cheaper option.

    Also I'm in Ontario, Canada, thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/CleaRoo
    [link] [comments]

    Can a landlord limit the amount of space someone uses in the garage?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    My mother rents a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house in California and has a bunch of stuff stored in the garage. The landlord has told her that she will add a 200$ fee every month unless my mother only uses 1/4th of the total garage space. There is nothing currently specified about this in the lease so I question the legality of this.

    Can the landlord legally charge my mother for using the entire garage for storage?

    submitted by /u/that_fool22
    [link] [comments]

    My moms bf beat me up???!!

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    So long story short ^ my mother's boyfriend physically assaulted me when me and her were getting into a vocal argument. He has lived in our home for a couple years. He came into my room that night and literally beat the shit out of me. Grabbed me off the bed by my hair and bashed me on the ground and picked me up by my hair multiple times and bashed me against the ground multiple times. He then also proceeded to stomp on my head. He also then told me I was lucky he didn't throw me over the banister (aka murdering me) and actually mimicked back my crying when I was on the ground after he wasn't hurting me anymore. I am 21 years old, 107 pounds maybe and he's 50 and 200+ pounds. I have long lasting trauma from this event. So much so that it is making it unbearable to do my daily duties such as work. I already have ptsd feom being abused by my father and this sent me into a horrible episode. Do I have a good case if I want to sue him? He has a good salary. He made enough to not be eligible for the stimulus check and told me not to tell anyone(meaning he didn't want anyone to know he made a certain amount??) pays for my mother's bills and his own bills and another property and then also takes care of his disabled brother completely so he has $$. Should I pursue anything ?? Everyone is telling me to because this has made me go crazy. In WNY

    submitted by /u/Exciting-Worry6466
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment