• Breaking News

    Saturday, September 5, 2020

    Legal Advice - School has "lost" or refused to follow my child's 504 multiple times

    Legal Advice - School has "lost" or refused to follow my child's 504 multiple times


    School has "lost" or refused to follow my child's 504 multiple times

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 07:05 AM PDT

    I live in a small town in Tennessee and my son's guidance counselor has become a terror in regards to following and giving teachers a copy of the 504 plan. The first issue arose when I asked for a 504 meeting and was told I had to wait 3 months (until the end of the school year) for the initial get the ball rolling meeting. I called the school board and they stepped in and set one up after a few days. Fast forward to the next school year. I emailed my son's teachers after the first 9 week period to see if he was being allowed extra time and they informed me he did not have a 504. I went up to the school and the guidance counselor straight up told me that my son never had a 504, they only discussed having a meeting but if I can make a copy of the 504 plan magically appear she would take a look at it. I handed her a copy and her response was "oh."

    Fast forward to this year. I know I need to have a meeting to rehash the 504 plan but I was informed by the guidance counselor that until one would be arranged that the previous one would be followed. Cool right? Nope. She informed my son's teachers that I was "crazy" and that my kid didn't have a 504 plan ever. Any conversation that I have with this woman that is not witnessed by another school employee "never happened." She's very dominating and cold towards anyone that questions her authority. Tuesday will be my fourth phone call placed to the head of special education with a complaint. What other steps can I take to ensure this doesn't continue?

    Edit for clarification-

    He has been through the 504 process and was diagnosed with disabilities (ADHD/ borderline Autistic/ some emotional coping delays).

    I scheduled an IEP meeting last year, they strongly objected to an IEP stating he barely qualified.

    I have been in contact 4 times with the head of special education for the school district over issues with the 504 not being given to teachers, followed or in the one case where I had to magically make it appear. All the issues stem from the guidance counselor.

    At this point I feel it's the guidance counselor being vindictive over my reporting her conduct and losing his 504.

    I have been in contact with 3 other parents who had received the same treatment from the guidance counselor.

    submitted by /u/TheFalloutChick
    [link] [comments]

    Is my landlord allowed to restrict my life?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 12:21 AM PDT

    by the way. i live in alberta canada

    I recently moved from my small town to the big city to go to university. Being freshly 18, and eager to get out I decided to rent an apartment with a fellow coworker. My roommate has not yet moved in though I have just settled in myself and began meeting new people. After a long night at the bar, I decided to bring someone home as they were unable to drive themselves home.

    We instantly passed out once we got into our apartment, and were quick to leave the next day. However, in the morning I got an angry call from my landlord. the conversation went something like this

    "Does your dad know you're sneaking boys in at night? Yeah, that's what I thought. Don't make this a habit" He had watched over the camera footage from the previous night, and had seen that I had brought the boy in question home.

    I was shocked and didn't know what to say as our lease does not say anything about having guest overnight. it simply underlines that a guest must not stay more than 10 consecutive nights.

    Fast forward a few hours, and me and my friends decided to watch a movie at my place before heading out. It was 6:00 o'clock and as my friends and I march in the landlord calls me over, and instantly starts spewing words. He informs me that he isn't running a frat house, and that I can't be bringing people into my apartment willy nilly with friends.

    I questioned him on wether or not I was allowed guests and he said I was as long as they are out by 11:00.

    NOWHERE IN OUR LEASE AGREEMENT IS THIS MENTIONED, AND HE HAD SIMPLY MADE THIS RULE FOR ME.

    I am frustrated and dreading my time here for the next year. I need help. Is this something he can do? Do I have to put up with this behaviour? I feel like i'm trapped at home.

    submitted by /u/lilwendywoman
    [link] [comments]

    Manager took my notary commission and stamp. Stated they can restrict who I notarize for because they paid for it and this is a company-wide policy. That's illegal. How to proceed? Texas

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    Good evening,

    My manager refused to let me take my notary journal and commission from where I work. They claim that since they paid for it, they can control who I notarize for and that they can tell me I cannot use my commission outside of work. I presented Texas Atty GA-0723 which states they can restrict who I notarize for during the time I am on the clock but cannot restrict notarial duties outside of work.

    After sending this email my boss still refuses to give me my notary materials and she also stated the restriction on notary services is a company-wide policy they have implemented and she is merely communicating what she was told.

    I understand that she is the middleman. But what the company is trying to do is highly illegal. A notary oath is given to your respective state and NOT your employer.

    Because of this nonsensical policy, I cannot perform notarial duties because they have my journal.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I have since filed a police report regarding this to protect myself.

    submitted by /u/HypoAllergenicJin
    [link] [comments]

    I own a business and my father won't stop verbally harassing my employees, is there a way I can force him to stay away from my shop?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    I own a small bubble tea shop and cafe, and I'm in a partnership with my mom there. We have been doing well for a couple years now but my dad now decided he wants to help out which was fine at first but now he keeps verbally abusing my employees, trying to force one of them to quit because he feels like they are paid too much for the amount of work they do.

    He screams at them and calls them multitude of slurs, even at times ripping things away from them to throw around. He won't stop coming down to the shop despite me and my mom explicitly telling both to his face and by text for him to stay away. I even had to physically haul him and throw him out the door myself so we could work in peace. If this continues, I'm worried that one of my employees is going to end up in a fist-fight with my dad.

    My parents are still married and living together so I'm worried that he may actually have a right to the shop so I was wondering if there is any way I can make sure he stays away from the property and my employees. Only my mom's name and my name is on the business license and I pay for the lease of the property.

    Edit: My location is in South Carolina, USA

    submitted by /u/WebAlmond
    [link] [comments]

    NYC ticketed my OH plate for not following their rules

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 03:49 PM PDT

    NYC ticketed my car for having the "tag line covered". My license plate does cover the tag line, but the tag placement is supposed to be in the bottom right corner in OH. And mine is, completely visible and not obstructed. How easy will it be to dispute this? Are they even allowed to ticket an out of state car for not following their state policies?

    submitted by /u/absolutelycrabby
    [link] [comments]

    (NJ) Landlord made me sick with mustard gas TWICE in his attempts to remediate the mold in my apartment. How do I stop him from entering my apartment again? How do I get the building fully inspected for mold and electrical issues?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    Seven months ago, my landlord tore open a moldy wall in my kitchen and slathered it with Biocide 100 and bleach, WHILE I WAS HOME and left it like that for a week before plastering over it. It made me very sick. He called a mold testing company and only tested the kitchen, which found four kinds of mold, one of them the black toxic kind.

    I have a twice collapsed lung and autoimmune issues and other health issues. I told him as an accommodation of my disability, as he'd already made me sick once, that he had to hire someone to test the whole building and to remediate the mold properly. Especially during a lung-wrecking pandemic, I can't trust him using chemicals in my apartment that make me ill. He refused. We are currently in a rent strike standoff. I called the City and he got in trouble for few violations. He came to my apartment to work on some of the repairs, and I vacated for Coronavirus reasons and not watning to deal with him face to face. Stupid mistake. While alone in my apartment, he "cleaned my bathroom ceiling" free of mold, again spraying with Biocide 100 and bleach. He did not warn me he was going to do this, knowing how sick it made me last time, and I expressly told him I wasn't OK with. He told me basically that that is what he has to do to remove the mold.

    It's now four days later, and it still hurts to breathe. Looking up what is in Biocide, and it's ammonia. My landlord was mixing AMMONIA AND BLEACH in my apartment.

    I have already had a health inspector come today for smaller violations around the building, and I am trying to get in touch with the construction violations office to come and check out the basement apartment my landlord has been illegally building and wiring himself. My landlord clearly wired this whole building himself, as he's cheap as hell and has bragged about being an Electrical Engineer. Being how inept he is, I'm now pretty fearful of what kind of wiring is in the walls. I've had issues of flickering lights and half lights going out and surges and my stove tripping the outlet. One of the violations he got was having my oven on an extension cord.

    However, he has only a month to complete the repairs dictated by the Housing Code Enforcement. Can I refuse to allow him entry to my home? Is there a way I can get a mold testing company to test the whole building without my landlord? If the basement is deemed unsafely wired, will that make them have to test the whole building?

    I went to the nearby ER a day after he sprayed my bathroom, but I hadn't yet put together that my landlord had combined bleach and ammonia. The ER said I was basically fine, but it's also a very shitty hospital in a low income area. Should I go to a high end hospital tomorrow and tell them my landlord mustard gassed me?

    (My CATS were here the whole time. I'm very upset thinking that they are in more throat ad lung pain than I am in. )

    I really want to destroy my landlord right now.

    I have just emailed him asking him to specify which products he was using, but he had already mentioned in an email previously the brand of products he was using (Biocide Labs), and they basically only make a mold spray and a mold bomb.

    submitted by /u/betweening
    [link] [comments]

    I found inappropriate and violating pictures of my neighbor on my boyfriend's phone, taken without her consent.

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 08:06 AM PDT

    A few days ago, I found pictures my boyfriend had taken of our neighbor through her window while she was naked on her bed, in her own bedroom. This was done without her consent or knowledge. Can anyone please tell me what kind of crime this is? We live in Illinois.

    EDIT: I am not looking to get him into legal trouble OR to defend his actions. This will be the end of our relationship. As a victim of a similar crime, there is no going back from here. I'm just curious where this lands in terms of the law, and what I'm dealing with.

    submitted by /u/Della_Luna
    [link] [comments]

    Tenant TRASHES house causing several thousands in damage

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    This takes place in Colorado.

    My family owns a property. We recently discovered the tenant has completely destroyed it. They were evicted after not paying rent for seven months.

    Here's a list of damages:

    • Began to dig a pool in the backyard - dug a hole about 6-7 feet deep and 10-12 feet wide, and then left it incomplete, and proceeded to fill the hole with all their trash
    • Left a body size hole in the laundry room, with blood all around it
    • Left holes in the walls all over the house
    • Repainted the kitchen & random portions of walls throughout the home
    • Stole the lawnmower

    Relevant Information:

    • Our insurance company is claiming that they don't cover most of the damage that was done
    • Our property management company had full control over screening that same awful tenant
    • The tenants ignored all communications with the management company for months
    • We are out of state

    All of this was done without our consent. We're looking for suggestions for recourse.

    What we can do to recover money?

    - Very Suprised Family

    submitted by /u/CO_house_situation
    [link] [comments]

    I pointed a gun at a child (approx. 8-10) after he fired a rifle nearly hitting me in the process

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 02:33 AM PDT

    The title sounds bad, but I am currently under investigation by the Canadian Government for pointing a firearm at a child after the child in question fired a rifle (an SKS), nearly hitting me in the process.

    What happened was I was at the shooting range, having a nice time firing my weapons, when family (mom, dad, two sisters, and a brother) comes to the range. I notice the boy, around 8-10 not being exactly safe with the firearm (pointing the weapon in the concrete ground, leaving firearms unattended while loaded, etc.), so I remind him to always keep the gun pointed down range, and he nods. Keep in mind, the dad went to the other range with the two daughters, so the it was just me, the boy, and his mother. His mother is not shooting any weapon, just browsing facebook or playing candy crush. I am getting annoyed that this kid is not following gun safety rules very well, so I remind him again, and he says "Mhm" and at this point, I realize, this kid is obviously not able to be trusted with a gun. I dont say anything, since I do not want a mother and father yelling at me (I am very timid as a person). And not even thirty seconds later, it happens.

    I am reloading my pistol, when I hear the rifle fire, and a bullet wizz right past my face. Like, if I was firing my weapon, at the time, I would be dead. I am pissed at this, and tell him to get the fuck down on the ground, and he does. The mother starts screaming at me, asking what the fuck I was doing, and telling me to put my weapon down, so I do, while she takes the rifle away from the child, who is crying his eyes out. I ask her why the fuck she cant control her kid, and she yells at me, and the dad comes back and yells at me, for pointing a gun at their little angel. The daughters, on the other hand, actually seem to have a brain, and start yelling at their parents, and then a police officer comes by, and detains everyone, since he saw everything on a range camera. He asks us all questions, then he releases us, telling us to leave the range. This happened two months ago, and the parents are suing me for child endangerment, resulting in the government investigating me, suspending my PAL (Canadian firearms license), and seizing my weapons in the process.

    I have no idea what the outcome might be, since I was legally defending myself, but at the same time, it was a young child who pointed a gun at me. I dont want to be a felon, but at the same time, I was legally defending myself. What can I do?

    Sorry for the really bad grammar, I have terrible writing skills.

    submitted by /u/StupidKidWithGun
    [link] [comments]

    Mom left everything to stepdad

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    We live in Frederick MD I'm 15F and my brother is 14M.

    My mom died tuesday and left everything to my stepdad. Our college funds, her assets, all of it. He's refusing to give us anything because we chose to live with our dad, and made us return our phones and iPads as well. He says since we aren't honoring her will, he'll do with her stuff as he sees fit. (She wanted us to live with him)

    submitted by /u/shewatches-sheknows
    [link] [comments]

    My van got towed by hoa, where should I start?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    I have never been given the rules of my hoa when it comes to parking. Apparently there are no commercial vehicles allowed in guest parking and my van was mistaken for a commercial vehicle. There is literally nothing inside, and no warning was given. Obviously this sucks and I'm not ready to drop 400 dollars. I don't really know whether or not it was totally legal, but in terms of even raising a stink and trying to get it figured out legally, where do you even start something like this?

    submitted by /u/starvetheplatypus
    [link] [comments]

    TN -- Sister was arrested Wednesay night and her dog has been left alone since then. I don't know her address to call animal control and my father refuses to. What to do?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    Edit:

    I don't know how to do a strike through, but I just talked to my mother. Evidently someone either broke in and stole the dog or the police went back in and got it. Either way, the dog isn't there anymore, so I guess the situation resolved itself.

    I'm still furious and they're still awful though.

    Thank you all for your help.

    Original post:

    ~~My sister and her husband were arrested Wednesday evening on drug charges and child endangerment. Their son is in DCS care. Evidently, they had just gotten a puppy and none of us knew until tonight that the puppy had been left alone. My parents are in another state, and my brother and I live a minimum of an hour to an hour and a half away. I've spent the last hour trying to convince them to call animal control and they won't. They don't want it "going to a shelter" and they're afraid my sister will have charges for animal cruelty added on.

    My sister and I are not on good terms so I don't even know her address. Our brother can get in to their house to get the pup, but won't go until tomorrow morning. They said he'll bring it to me and they want me to keep it "for a few days."

    Would animal control be able to get in without someone there to let them in?

    Would I be taking on any legal liability if I accept care for the dog?~~

    submitted by /u/sheath2
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal for people to take property left on home's right-of-way?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 02:09 PM PDT

    This happened in Florida. There is a scrapper that rides through the neighborhood taking items left at the side of the road. They took my kid's bike a scooter a few months ago but our camera only caught them leaving so had no proof.

    About a month ago, my kid's bike was in our driveway near the mailbox and I happened to be near the window when the same truck pulled up. A guy got out and was looking all around, like he was making sure no one was watching. My husband quickly opened the door and told him that the bike isn't scrap and the guy got back in his truck and kept going.

    Yesterday, my kid left their bike in the yard but it was maybe five feet from the road. Our camera caught a clip of the same truck pulling up with the bike there and then another clip of the bike gone with the truck pulling away and you could see the bike in the bed of his truck.

    We decided to report it because we see this truck a lot and there are always a bunch of kids bikes in the back. I didn't expect the police to do much but they said if it's less than 10 feet from the road, it's fair game and then lectured about leaving items near the road. The cop even went so far as to say if he saw a bike near the road, he would take it too.

    We are always telling our kid to not leave the bike out so I do take responsibility for that but is it legal to take any property just because it's on the home's right-of-way? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Dream_Anger
    [link] [comments]

    Is an easement “real” if it’s only mentioned on an old deed and no other paperwork exists?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    Location: North Carolina

    My husband and I are in the due diligence period for land we're buying. There's a path through the corner of this land (coincidentally the corner we want to put a house on) but our survey said no easements were found so we didn't think much of it.

    Our title search came back and while our lawyer didn't find an easement, she did find an old deed (not the current property owners deed, the property deed before that) that says "The property is conveyed subject to the following exceptions"..."easements, covenants, restrictions and conditions of record, and rights-of-way of public and private street and roads, including, but not limited to, the unnamed drives shown on that Plat as lying within [this property]." However it doesn't appear that an actual easement was ever registered with the county. We called the property owner that would benefit from the path to see if they would abandon the "easement" and they were hostile and said they had no intention of doing so.

    Both the property we are buying and the property that benefits from the easement are empty lots. It doesn't look like a path anymore, it just looks like a patch of woods and has fallen trees, bushes, and even young trees growing on it. It isn't the only way for this property owner to access their land, it basically just creates a fork at the end of the road so that they have two access points.

    In y'all's opinion, could this be a legitimate easement if it was written in an old deed but not recorded anywhere else and isn't being used? Any recommendations on what we should do? Our lawyer is asking the title company and we've reached out to Zoning Compliance for our county.

    Also, if someone wants to explain title insurance to me that would be very appreciated. If we get a title insurance policy and then she decides she's going to sue us over this "easement", will the title insurance policy protect us?

    Thanks to anyone that read that! :)

    submitted by /u/meeeew
    [link] [comments]

    Am I allowed to let go an autistic employee who can't perform any required job duties? (OH)

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 03:28 AM PDT

    We have this 19ish year old autistic guy that we hired a couple months ago. I help manage a fast casual style restaurant. With special needs people, we typically train them on how to clean the dining room or run orders out to customers. We have tried doing both with this individual, but he just hasn't caught on.

    For the dining room, their duties involve a high level of cleanliness. There are checklists of touch points to hit every hour, and they need to jump on every table as they leave. They should also touch tables to see if people need anything. He wasn't able to do this effectively. He doesn't stay in the dining room and will wander back behind the counter. He also didn't understand how to use each of the cleaning chemicals that we need to have. Also, he doesn't really talk to people. Sometimes if a customer asks him for something, he will just ignore them. I've gotten a few complaints from customers thinking he's being rude.

    For running orders it's much simpler. All we want is for the runner to stand next to the expo person and be available to take the orders out to customers. You don't have to run them, but a little hustle is nice. We also want them to read off the receipt to confirm the order. With this individual, he again has a hard time staying in one place. I constantly have to tell him to head back to his spot because there are orders needing to be taking out. He also doesn't confirm orders, which leads to mistakes.

    It's becoming too much to handle with as busy as we are, trying to keep him on task. I had talked to his father previously about issues we had, which we then worked on, but it hasn't really gotten better. He really only works one day a week for like 4 hours. If I were to let him go, would there be any way that this could come back to me or our restaurant for discrimination?

    submitted by /u/SoapyIllusion1337
    [link] [comments]

    Not getting paid for under the table work

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    So I was doing some under the table work for a construction company mind you I'm only 17 and I'm not legally aloud to be doing construction in the first place, so I worked a few days then when it came time to get paid my boss stops answering his phone this is the second times it's happen, what kind of legal action can I take?

    submitted by /u/Mother_Ad_615
    [link] [comments]

    Got served unexpectedly with divorce papers.

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 09:46 PM PDT

    Yesterday a sheriff in uniform, in a patrol car came to my vacation home and served me with divorce papers, in front of all of my neighbors. I was very upset with my husband because I broke my leg and he left me here alone for three weeks, unable to walk or drive. We did discuss divorce, but I was totally blindsided that he would serve me like that with no warning. I am lost and afraid. I have no idea what to do, where to start. We have been married 34 years. He controls all the money. I have no idea how much we have or where it is. He transferred most of the money from our joint account. I am destitute. We agreed that when we had children I would be a sahm. He got three degrees during our marriage, while I managed the home and did everything to raise the children. I am basically unemployable now, my engineering skills are out of date. Our kids are on their own now. I don't know how to find a good attorney, what to ask for or what to expect. The papers say I have 14 days to respond. Please help me. The hurt and uncertainty are keeping me awake. I feel numb and in disbelief. I live in Michigan, Macomb County.

    submitted by /u/leslieleslieq
    [link] [comments]

    Uninsured motorist hit girlfriend

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    So long story short guy hit girlfriend on a motorcycle right in front of our house. He was at fault, he didn't have insurance or a motorcycle license. The guy offered to let us keep his bike as collateral until we get an estimate Tuesday and figured out how much it would be (very minor damage, dent on fender and scuffed wheel). He offered to pay outright instead of getting insurance/police involved. We have a witness' phone number and name also.

    I have his motorcycle in my garage, currently. The guy seemed like he would be good for the money, so I figure I'd give him a shot. If anything I'll be out $500 or so for new wheel/dent repair.

    What I'm asking is, if the guy doesn't cough up the money to fix the couple things, is there anything I can do? Should I file it with insurance if he doesn't pay? We live in Ohio and worst case scenario she has uninsured motorist.

    submitted by /u/MulletMachine1
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor has a live band play every weekend

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    My neighbor across my garage built a stage in his backyard and every weekend he has a live band play until 2am. I live in Chicago so houses are pretty close together.

    These people aren't well off but I'm willing to pay for a lawyer if it means them getting rid of their stage (doubt they got a permit, if needed) or them getting fined for anything.

    Is this possible?

    Cops don't do anything around here, I've called every weekend all summer long. Any time there's an issue on my street they drive by after calling them but never stop or get out of their cars.

    submitted by /u/umidkidc
    [link] [comments]

    Roommates guest overstaying and now we want to restrict, or banish him. Alberta Canada

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 04:46 PM PDT

    Hey guys I'll try to get right to the point here. A fellow tenant has had her boyfriend at our house from about 5PM until 8am the next morning, for about 58 of the last 60 days. My partner didnt want to notify the landlord as we really do want a drama free home, so I mentioned to him and he is currently finding a way to deal with it in a drama free way. However, she (our fellow tenant) asked us if it's okay for her boyfriend to stay for 1 week after he has foot surgery, our initial response was he can stay for 3 days. She then tried to come to me personally to try and get me to go against what my partner told her. I ended up being brutally honest and telling her that not only is the 3 day answer going to stick, but from here on out it's also 3 days a week, every week. She got upset about this and said we cannot tell her what to do in her own home, and that she and him are going through a difficult time (He had a wife of 20 years and cheated on her for our roommate who knew about the marriage and kids). All of that aside, the rental agreement that my partner and I are on, which is a 6 month lease, states that guests are allowed, but over a week needs permission from tenents and landlord. Obviously she breached this rule, however she is on a month to month basis and not on a lease so we dont know what she agreed to. Assuming she has broken this rule, do me or my partner have any right to restrict his time there, or outright ask him not to be on the property? I have read a lot of these sort of posts but I haven't found one for my country or province.

    Thank you for your time in reading this and responding.

    Edit: I am also curious about the actual 1 week rule. Say she had him here for 1 week, he left for a day, and then had him over for a week again. What is the threshold for the week? Is it 1 week out of the month, or just consecutive days?

    submitted by /u/KingofValinor
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord claims my AC works perfectly fine despite it regularly reaching 80 degrees (F) in my one bedroom unit [TX]

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 12:08 PM PDT

    I started leasing this condo in July of this year. Ever since the first day, I've had problems with my AC not cooling to where it should. It started by not cooling past around 76, and I called and complained that I didn't think it was working properly. They sent an HVAC tech out the next day while I was gone, and he left a note stating he checked it and it works fine. After another week or so of hotter and hotter temps, this time getting up to 78-79, I sent an email to the property management office claiming that I'd really appreciate another look at my AC unit. They sent another guy out a couple days later, this time while I was home. He was here probably no more than 30 minutes, and when he was about to leave, I asked if he found anything wrong with it. He instantly claimed that he "wasn't supposed to discuss the matter with me" but claims he fixed a couple minor things. They called me the next day to ask how it was handling again, and I stated that it seems like it might be working slightly better, as in 1 degree better (it was hitting 77 still), but that it's still not to where it should be. The maintenance supervisor claimed that they couldn't do anything else besides replacing the AC unit, which would be up to the owner to pay for and not them. Since then, it has hit 80 degrees in my unit on an almost daily basis. My lease states that they have an obligation to maintain AC equipment, and I have a right to terminate my lease if they fail to uphold this obligation (with some criteria). I have saved my second email notice asking for a second opinion, and I have recently sent a letter by certified mail requesting it to be fixed once again and stating that I reserve the right and fully intend to break my lease if this is not taken care of by October. After the property manager received my letter, she called me and actually yelled at me that there's nothing they're going to do, the AC works just fine, that she's going to pursue legal action if I break my lease, and even proceeded to condescend me by saying, "This is Texas honey, it gets hot here, you just have to get used to it"....I'd just like to add that I've lived in Texas my entire life, including several different apartments in this very same city, and never had an issue like this with my AC. I have followed the criteria as outlined in Paragraphs 31.2 and 31.3 in my lease agreement linked above. I don't really want to move though. I'm in my final and craziest year of school to date, and moving would only add on more stress. But this situation is only made worse because I'm working from home as well as attending the majority of my classes online, so I have to sit here in 80 degree temps while I try to do so. Window units and cardboard/foil in the windows to block the sun are also strictly prohibited by my HOA. I'd like to work with her to potentially get my rent reduced at the very least considering I'm paying massive amounts in utility bills just to attempt to cool this place down, but with the way she sounded over the phone, I don't think she's willing to work with me at all. I'd like to get some more opinions on the matter and I guess some validation that breaking my lease would be within my rights if that's something that I end up doing. My worry is that the AC unit might actually be functional, it's just not adequate enough to cool down my condo. I'm almost positive this would be their defense in court since the lease agreement does seem vague, and they keep claiming the AC is working perfectly fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Zeckaro
    [link] [comments]

    Can I take Jiffy Lube to small claims court for this?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    5 months ago, I went to Jiffy Lube to get my oil changed. As far as I knew, everything was fine that time. 2 months ago, (I drive a lot), I went back to get my oil changed again. The guy at the Jiffy Lube, the same guy who did the oil change last time, repeatedly asked me if I had gone somewhere else before I came to them that time. I said no, the last place to touch my car was them. He kept insisting I had to have gone somewhere else and finally told me that the drain plug was super glued to the oil container thing and "someone else must have done it" (keep in mind this is the same guy who did the oil change last time so he knows good and well he's the one who superglued it, he was just trying to deflect blame and make me "confess" to having gone somewhere else so he wouldn't be in trouble). He said they were going to fix it, they'd order me a new drain plug and told me to come back the next day. So, I came back the next day and they "fixed it".

    Fast forward to 2 days ago, I'm driving and the "red triangle of death" light comes on and so does the oil light. A couple seconds later, the car starts driving very slow like it's in the neutral position, and I'm barely able to pull into a parking lot before it stops completely. The brakes and gas pedals felt weird to press, like they were kind of locked. I checked the oil stick since the oil light came on and there was NO oil whatsoever in the car. I had been driving a car with no oil. This was suspicious to me because the car wasn't due for an oil change for another 1,000 miles. The car wasn't drivable so I had to get it towed to a mechanic shop. I told them all of this, including the Jiffy Lube incident because I had a feeling it had something to do with it.

    The mechanic calls me later in the day and says that yes, it was very much so Jiffy Lube's fault because remember how they "fixed" the drain plug? NO THEY DIDN'T. They left that same superglued drain plug on, put silicone on it, and put a "tamper seal" sticker over it. Obviously the heat of a car melts all of those things pretty easily so oil was leaking out this whole time. The mechanic said that Jiffy Lube cross-threaded something in the oil pan (I'm not too familiar with car terminology) so the drain plug was having difficulty screwing back in, and apparently instead of telling me, they did this "hack job" and just thought they wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. They didn't bother telling me that they had messed up the drain plug or anything in the first place. They also said during the last time I was there (when they "fixed" the drain plug) that they did an oil change and charged me $70 for it but they physically couldn't have done the oil change if they didn't even remove the drain plug (BECAUSE IT WAS SUPERGLUED) so they charged me for literally nothing.

    The car is ruined. The engine and transmission are completely destroyed due to the lack of oil and I have to buy a whole new car. Do I have a case for small claims court? Can I demand they pay the repairs the mechanic did so far (he had to put oil in the car and fix some of the oil related parts of the car just to determine whether the engine and transmission were damaged or not)? Can I demand they pay for the cost of a new car?

    Edit: changed the name back to Jiffy Lube because I named them in the title anyway.

    I am located in Texas

    submitted by /u/kduffy98
    [link] [comments]

    Scummy Parent Gift Deed

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 04:04 PM PDT

    My grandparent's farm was in my name with my father holding life estate. He essentially manuveured me into a position where I was strong armed into signing a gift deed giving the family farm back to my father, who is now trying to sell it against wishes of the entire family, and in direct contradiction of his parents wishes. (I wish we had put it in a trust, but didn't know better at the time.)

    Everyone is frantically scrambling to try and come up with a way to save the family land.

    So far the two ideas we have are:

    1. Attack the validity of the gift deed.It wasnt notarized properly. I signed it at a kitchen table with him physically standing over me. He got it notary stamped after the fact. I dont know how to prove that though. He had my DL #.
    2. Try to put together an LLC to buy the property, but capital would be a problem

    I dont know what to do.

    Update: Texas, US

    submitted by /u/DaeSnek
    [link] [comments]

    Being threatened with small claims court

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 02:41 PM PDT

    Sold a shed in Denver, CO to a man on 8/21 for $250 with the man saying he would return to disassemble and remove the shed the next week. He failed to arrive on 3 different occasions. I am having a garage built starting today and last night he stated he would arrive at 0900 this morning to get the shed. He never showed up. When I called to ask him where he was he said he wouldnt be able to make it. I informed him the shed has been moved to the area outside of my yard for the workers to begin my garage. He stated this is unacceptable and he wants his $250 back or he will sue. Meanwhile I now have to pay $285 for demo and removal of the shed by the garaye company. Where do I stand?

    submitted by /u/Paramountmorgan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment